Chargers aftermath

Posted by Darren Urban on September 9, 2014 – 1:05 am

Jonathan Dwyer had just run up the gut for a first down to clinch the win Monday night, and it was hard not to notice the player who looked like he had the biggest grin on the field: Larry Fitzgerald. Yes, Fitzgerald only had one catch on the night but it was a doozy, a 22-yarder that he hauled in to put the Cardinals into San Diego territory on the game-winning drive. Fitzgerald’s targets — four of them officially — will be a topic of conversation, but the Cardinals won and so those things move into the background. Hard to argue when the quarterback still gets 300 yards and there are enough others to make the plays when Fitz isn’t (Michael Floyd, 5 for 119 to start what I’m guessing will be a very big year.)

Besides, it’s tough to get that smile out of my head as the clock ticked down.

— The Cardinals look like they are going to be fine on defense. Yes, Todd Bowles is going to have to dial up some different things. The pass rush on some plays was, match up with receivers one-on-one across the board and send everyone else. That’ll be tough against Detroit with Calvin Johnson, but Bowles sees what he has and goes with it. He lost two more pieces during the game when linebacker John Abraham (concussion) and defensive end Frostee Rucker (calf) went out. Oh well. “Survival of the fittest,” Bowles said. “Your healthy, you play.”

— One of those guys who is playing is Larry Foote. No, he’s not Daryl Washington. But a good camp was followed up with a good opening game, something that brought a smile to Bruce Arians’ face. “He’s going to be the bellcow for us all year,” Arians said.

— The good was Deone Bucannon looked comfortable and solid as that dollar linebacker in the nickel defense. The bad was him missing the block that allowed new punter Drew Butler to get one blocked. “I was just overexcited,” Bucannon said. “I was trying to get out too soon, trying to get down there to make a tackle. Totally stupid. Selfish by me.”

— Overall, the “kicking game hurt us more than it should have,” Arians said. Besides the block, Ted Ginn did not have a good opening game returning kickoffs. Field position wasn’t great much of the time. Chandler Catanzaro, however, held his own as kicker. The Cardinals look like they made a good choice with the rookie.

— Arians didn’t seem that bothered by the fact right tackle Bobby Massie didn’t just fall on the Andre Ellington fumble, which ended up with the Chargers and cost the Cardinals an early scoring chance. The cast on Massie’s hand — which he apparently has — was the culprit, Arians said. “He tried to pick it up and run with it,” Arians said. “The cast dropped it.”

— Safety Tony Jefferson said he got props from both San Diego quarterback Philip Rivers and tight end Antonio Gates after the game, after Jefferson chased Gates around much of the game. Still, Jefferson was still irritated with the defensive holding he was called for on a play he ended up getting an interception on. He didn’t feel he held, although he admitted he needed to look at the video.

— Andre Ellington wasn’t at full speed, but that was still good enough. That 18-yard run he made on the game-winning drive was a huge play and if he can muddle through his tendon injury, the Cardinals will be much better off with him in there.

OK, that’s that. I’ll be doing a chat tomorrow (Tuesday) at 2 p.m. on this short week, if you want to take part. But now, it’s time to go home.

Blogafteruse

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

73 Responses to “Chargers aftermath”

1. By Dre on Sep 9, 2014 | Reply

Great win Darren but with out dwash out there we look slow really slow hope to pick it next game but nice win

2. By Austen on Sep 9, 2014 | Reply

Amazing win! Great overall effort! The offense is going to need work and the defense looks solid. I do think Lindley had a good amount to do with the no huddle from the Chargers offense. He also told the defense what to look for on our offense, which is why I think our offense will look a lot cleaner next week because the defense new most of their line ups. Anyway, awesome win and on to New York! By the way who did the siren last night?

3. By Darren Urban on Sep 9, 2014 | Reply

Austen —

RE: Siren

Adrian Wilson did the siren.

4. By NjAzCardsFan on Sep 9, 2014 | Reply

An ugly win is still a win….. I hope the Cards crush the Giants this coming weekend…..

The Cards secondary should give Manning headaches all day…..

5. By Michaels on Sep 9, 2014 | Reply

That was too close especially for a home game. Floyd looks great, love his passion. Ellington did a decent job, flashes of some big plays. Offensive line just seemed to let Palmer play under duress all game, hence rushing or accuracy issues. Defensive line hardly any pass rush, Abraham looked tired and out of shape. I think the secondary did the best they could with limited pressure on Rivers. Two dumb plays…. the punt block and not falling on the football, oh don’t fumble the ball in the first place. I’m happy for the win, i just hope they fix it and do much better.

6. By ryan on Sep 9, 2014 | Reply

One down, 15 to go!! Way to go CARDS!!

Before all the negativity starts rolling in, just remember- Not a bad showing for just out of the gates. San Diego turned into a great team last year and made the playoffs.

Also- the Cardinals of old may have just laid down and lost. With the new rookies, new vets, and new schemes in place, to score 14 unanswered points late in the game and win is AWESOME! Slow start? yes. But a “w” is a “w”

WAY TO GO CARDIAC CARDS!
    1-0

7. By georgiebird on Sep 9, 2014 | Reply

Impressive win. Cards don’t win these type of games on National TV.
    And maybe Foote isn’t as good as DWash but I’d take Foote for one reason-No one pushes Foote around- he’s got a lot more grit in him than DWash had- especially on running plays.

8. By georgiebird on Sep 9, 2014 | Reply

The choice by BA to take Catanzaro paid dividends- all touchbacks I believe.

9. By georgiebird on Sep 9, 2014 | Reply

The Good and Bad from the game:
    Good-
    1) the team has a lot of grit- to win when no one (except Foote) has a real good game is a big positive.
    2) the OL and DL hung in all night

Bad-
    1) Ted Ginn looked terrible on Punt and KO returns. But at least he didn’t fumble
    2) Our defense against long passes is still an adventure

10. By Marlin on Sep 9, 2014 | Reply

Carson Palmer does not get enough credit. He leads the team on two 4th quarter drives for a comeback win….final drive 92 yards. If it was another qb, everybody would be singing is praises a lot more.

11. By br in nc on Sep 9, 2014 | Reply

Marlin
    CP has been fighting an uphill battle ever since he got to Arizona! Seems that very few fans have faith in him, don’t know where all the negative comments come from or what they are based on, he just can’t seem to shake them. Any QB that throws for over 4,000 yards behind the Raiders offensive line has my faith! As well our O-line hasn’t exactly been stellar, both last year, and last night the O-line is shaky! I have said it before, and will say it again today, if our O-line can consistently find a second to a second and a half more time for Carson to survey his options in the pocket (without having to run for his life) then our Cardinals would have a QB that would be in the talks for NFL MVP!!

12. By Marlin on Sep 9, 2014 | Reply

Was at the game. Loudest crowd at Uof P stadium since the conference title game. Really proud of the fans.

13. By BirdsSTC on Sep 9, 2014 | Reply

I’ll take it. A lot of good things out there last night, some not so good. I’d say the only thing that really worries me is the lack of pressure on the QB even when we brought the house. If that changes we are in for a great year.

14. By JohnnyBluenose on Sep 9, 2014 | Reply

Obviously that was a very close, hard-fought and exciting game despite the lack of a lot of highlight reel type plays. And with every game being so important it was very special to come out with the victory. Unlike last year, I did not notice all those empty seats halfway through the fourth quarter. Palmer played well, spread the ball around and even picked up a valuable first down by running. I hope our running game gets better. As BA said, our return game was awful, even worse than last year. I thought Ginn looked slow and tentative. It’s only one game but that needs to be improved. I thought Veldheer and Massie were both average at best. Our defense played well. The Chargers are a good team and we held them to 17 points. That’s not too shabby. Larry Foote was a revelation to me, played very well and showed a lot of leadership. Our calls on the two point conversion attempts struck me as odd and I did not like the decision to throw a fade to John Brown on third down from the four yard line but the touchdown play to him worked out really well. All in all, it was a good night for week one. Hopefully we are not too beat up and hopefully we get our walking wounded back soon. We have a short week this week but so do the Giants. We should win on Sunday. It will be nice to start two and zero. Keep going.

15. By jakeplummersghost on Sep 9, 2014 | Reply

Darren, I dunno if you’ve seen Fitz’s dad and Marcus Fitz’s twitter feeds from last night, but it looks they are really trying to stir the pot for a Fitz departure, crying “politics” that Fitz wasn’t targeted. Good to hear that Larry was very happy with the win. Although there were some questionable playcalls all around and not just the lack of targets for Fitz(see the wildcat 2-point attempt), hope he’s not listening to those two. Your thoughts?

Also, Larry Foote was definitely one of our game MVPs. Great pickup.

16. By Darren Urban on Sep 9, 2014 | Reply

jakeplummerghost —

RE: Fitz family tweets

I saw them. I know both of them a little. That’s not going to stop if Fitz isn’t getting the ball. It just comes with the territory. They are protecting a loved one. I don’t think it really has an impact on anything. Besides, if Fitz doesn’t get the ball that much, what makes you think he’d want to stick around anyway?

17. By br in nc on Sep 9, 2014 | Reply

Even BA said the offense had trouble hearing calls, that is some serious “lung decibels”!!They have a history of stirring the pot up, if I’m not mistaken. Fitz will get his, usually when we need it most!! Besides, if he is truly a team player (which I have no doubt he is) he takes the win over personal stats every time!

18. By Patrick Hoog aka Don't Take Losses on Sep 9, 2014 | Reply

Grinding out a win, sweet. Opposite of St. Louis game last year. The players believe, me too.

19. By John The Draft Guy on Sep 9, 2014 | Reply

I sometimes forget the different perspective when you go to the game. Instead of the camera angle, you see everything. Great win for the team. Here is a few things I saw.

Offense;

Veldheer is the real deal. I saw him battle Freney several times including his famous spin move. But the most impressive was him coming out to stop a corner blitz.

Floyd is the real deal. But believe me, he is helped a whole lot by Fitz being on the field. Fitz got their #1 CB and Weddle overtop. Thus the lack of targets. I did notice Palmer look a few times towards Fitz, but he wasn’t open.

John Brown needs to catch the ball. I saw two drops.

It is so good to have a real QB. Palmer never lets the last pass bother him. He moves on to make the next play. But to watch him run for first downs, and scramble in the pocket, you could see how much he wants to win.

I saw Cooper in on one play. He pulled to the opposite side on a run play. He was stuffed back and his guy hit Ellington for a loss. It is official, this guy is not very good.

Loved the spark that Taylor gave. He may of only had 3-4 touches, but he made each one count.

Defense;

Bucannon played LB most of the game. Call it what you will, he played ILB. The kid blitzed well and actually was a half second late on some sacks. Guys, you can blow all the smoke you want, but this guy and Foote were our two ILBs. Both played very well.

I like Tony Jefferson. He did a good job. Now, did Gates have a few catches? Yes. Did he have at least 3 drops? yes. So Tony had a little luck also.

Where does Honey Badger play? I thought Rashard Johnson played really well as did Powers. One play stood out. Johnson was the deep safety, but there was confusion. Johnson was yelling at PP to cover a guy. Rivers saw the confusion, and locked his eyes on the guy. PP never covered the guy (he covered no one on this play) and Johnson broke from center field and picked up PPs guy. Meanwhile, Rivers flips to his guy deep and almost hits a deep one off Cromartie, who most certainly thought he had a safety in the middle. Point is, Johnson saw everything and covered a would be wide open receiver when it wasn’t his guy. Smart player.

We have no pass rush. None. zip. zero. This is my major concern.

Campbell misses Dockett. Dockett was always able to cause enough havoc to let Campbell do his thing. The lack of Dockett brought CC back to earth.

My Favorite guy is Todd Bowles. Man, this guy seems like he is making up things as he goes. But the guts he showed on the last 3 plays where he went zero coverage (man) and sent the house, wow. No fear. Creative, puts guys in spots to be successful, not listening to outside chatter. Please Please give this guy a real pass rusher next year.

Oh, and get Cromartie locked up forever. This guy is good.

20. By br in nc on Sep 9, 2014 | Reply

JTDG,

Ideally hope your comment on Cooper was sarcasm, you are way to intelligent to form an opinion that quick on any player, let alone a young (essentialy a rookie, who is battling injuries as well as confidence issues, I will give you this much, the injuries are out of his control, but he does have to step up and squash the confidence issues, he is afterall, a professional. football player, getting paid to perform!)

I remember when quite a few posters almost laughed me off this forum when I suggested that Bucannon may play some hybrid ILB, after we found out Dwash was gone for the year. I will admit I didn’t expect him to play quite as much, but obviously Bowles makes the best out of whatever he has to work with! First game of the year, Cardinals lost a ton of defensive starters, and key players, and the defense still looked solid. I’am starting to get a sick feeling in my gut that Todd Bowles will be addressed as Head Coach Bowles next year!!. (I know it is selfish of me, but I pray that he is still our D-Coordinator at least through next season!!)
    As far as Honey Badger goes, I don’t think we will have to worry about him finding a spot to play until after the bye week. If If Jefferson. & Johnson play solid and we keep winning there is no reason to rush him back, and I have this funny feeling when he does return he will have no problem finding/earning a spot and playing time in the defensive backfield. And if he doesn’t earn a spot we could always trade him for a 1st round draft pick!! Kidding guys, just freaking kidding!!

21. By Dynosoar on Sep 9, 2014 | Reply

Whether we win by one point or 40, we won. We are 1-0 and other than the pundits who get paid to pick things apart, there is no * beside the 1-0.

We won by only a few points in Seattle last year and no one mentions the score, only that we’re the only ones to beat Seattle in Seattle.

Not sure if I’d have been happier with a larger point victory, I know my heart would have, but I sure felt so much peace after the game. Thanks goes to my team. We’ll get that ring.

22. By joe 67 on Sep 9, 2014 | Reply

GOOD WIN! Not a great win but a good one. Looked really bad at times on offense, but some big plays as well.
    Carlson had damn nice catch (good throw by Palmer as well) then where did he go. did he have another catch? Thought we were going to use TE a lot more.
    I thought Stephan Taylor did a nice job when he was in there. Guess I have to disagree on Jefferson. Okay but seemed to get beat a lot.

You guys made some noise last night. Lot of SD fans there, but sure sounded better than years past, on TV at least.

23. By Andy Kw on Sep 9, 2014 | Reply

A win is a win. Great effort by the Cardinals. 1-0 to tie the Seahawks and 49ers for first place in the NFC West. I think the hype of the first game caused inconsistency in the first half. The team calmed down and moved the ball down the field with better precision in the second half of the game. I expect the team to be much more consistent next week.

24. By Sean on Sep 9, 2014 | Reply

@Marlin- I said the same thing. I don’t recall it that loud in there since the Packer game in the divisional playoffs.

25. By Mike G on Sep 9, 2014 | Reply

Yo Darren–Great win by the Card’s last night. Total team effort in overcoming the turnovers. Thought the D did great in stopping the run. Larry Foote had a nice game. Nice to see S-Taylor contribute when Ellington came out of the game. You must win at home and that is a good start to the season. Certainly have to clean up some things especially on the blocked punt and the kickoff returns. Definitely starting field position hurt yesterday. Short turnaround –East Coast trip to NY –Must get ready to play strong Sun Afternoon. Darren–What was your thought on going for the 2pt conversion with about 12 minutes to go???? I would have kicked the Pat there!!! Every point is crucial to me –I guess I am old school– I would not look at 2 pointers until about 5 minutes or less on the clock especially in a tight ballgame. As it turned out SD was stopped but could have won the game with a FG instead of tying it. Did not agree with BA there!!!!

26. By John The Draft Guy on Sep 9, 2014 | Reply

Mike G,

2 pt conversion;

Ultimately, you would have won the argument. If we kicked the extra point, then after the second TD, we could have kicked again and been up by 3.

But at the time, we were in the 4th quarter and down by 11 (8 + 3). After the TD, it made sense to get us within 3, in case we needed a FG to tie. The fact that we missed, put us down by 5 or kicked , down by 4 , seemed like the same issue either way, A TD to win. I think if you can bring yourself to a FG in the 4th quarter by going for 2, you do it.

I see both sides, but I totally agreed with what BA did.

27. By jason on Sep 9, 2014 | Reply

All good comments.

Something to remember is that San Diego scored 10 of their points on short fields after the sack fumble and the punt block. The only real drive they had was the opening drive in the second half. Our defense still looked solid but I agree the concerns about our pass rush are real.

On offense we moved the ball well, even in the first half, we just didn’t finish them; the fumble on San Diego’s 28 and the fade pass to John Brown when we had driven the ball to the 4 yard line changed what would’ve/could’ve/should’ve at least 10 (possibly 14) points to just 3. Those points would’ve changed perception.

28. By Colt on Sep 9, 2014 | Reply

the skynet secondary prevails! the coverage was like bees on honey last night!

29. By LG on Sep 9, 2014 | Reply

We get a good win and all ESPN want to talk about is ray rice the only reason he got suspended 2 games in the first place is because the raven are GOODLE favorite team real talk.

30. By Myles Johnson on Sep 9, 2014 | Reply

Are they paying Ted Ginn $3 million a year to fair catch?

31. By JohnnyBluenose on Sep 9, 2014 | Reply

@JTDG…Time will tell if you are right about Cooper it doesn’t look good right now. I remember the draft seven, eight years ago. We needed a tackle and we were hoping to land Joe Thomas. The Browns took him so we settled for Levi Brown. Last year I think we settled for Cooper and left some really talented, athletic guys for other teams. I hope history does not repeat itself.

32. By ryan on Sep 9, 2014 | Reply

Mike G- The reason for the first 2 point conversion was because we were down 17-12. If we kick the extra point, we are down 4 points in the fourth quater. If we make 2 there, we only need a field goal to tie the game.

The second attempt was to be ahead of SD by 3 points instead of 2. Had we made that then SD would have needed a touchdown to win the game or field goal to tie. If we kick the extra point there, then we are only up 2 and a SD field wins the game. Well worth the gamble!

of course hindsight is 20/20

GO CARDS! I STILL HAVE A FEELING!!
    1-0

33. By Craig on Sep 9, 2014 | Reply

I hate those fade routes to the corner. Get rid of them please. What happened to the quick cross pattern, hard fast passes.

34. By azqfan on Sep 9, 2014 | Reply

JTDG,

I see your points but completely disagree. This was going to be a tight game as most of ours will be, NO REASON to go for 2 unless all BA’s talk about his confidence in the offense is smoke. If he really believed, you take the easy point, and go get another TD.

And I for one am TIRED of hearing everyone, including the ignorant TV analysts complaining about Fitz’s “lack of touches”. Palmer clearly addressed this after the game and said Larry was doubled all night, and not open. I MUCH rather Palmer throw to open receivers than force it in like he did last year, and get stupid INT’s. Funny how Berman and Dilfer both were griping about it, but no one showed a single replay of Fitz being open and not thrown to? NOT ONCE.

Maybe if Fitz could get on the same page as Palmer he might get more thrown his way. He looked like he went the wrong way on one of the incompletions, and lets not forget the INT Palmer threw (against Cincy I think) where Fitz AGAIN, went the wrong way. Shocking to me there is this issue with a 10 year veteran, which a rookie, John Brown, seems to be in the right place?

35. By NickPepe on Sep 9, 2014 | Reply

We are 1-0 and that is all that matters. Great win. Made getting up at 0500 hrs for work on the east coast very easy.

John Brown adds an element we have not had in some time. Defenses are going to have to pick their poison, and it should be fun to watch!

The O-line struggled early, CP was running for his life. Good to see him elude some sacks. Not sure how he made Freeney miss, but he did. He also benefited from a couple of would be INT’s that were dropped by the Chargers. Other than that CP looked in charge and unfazed by the pressure.

We are stout at RB. 4 deep and all contributed key plays. Loved how hard Dwyer was running on the last drive to run out the clock.

Defense was impressive. Deonne played well except for the whiif of a block on the punt. Larry Foote looked like he was on a mission. The secondary was everywhere and the line was relentless. Defense looked like it has not skipped a beat since last year. I think we better start grooming Coach Bowles replacement!!

Lastly, our coach is a winner. Likes the Texans game last year, I don’t think we win last night without BA at the helm. He knows what buttons to push and has everyone believing and expecting to win.

It was by no means perfect or pretty, but we are 1-0 and that’s all that’s all that matters.

Looking forward to this weekend and my trip to North Jersey to see my Cards!!

Nick Pepe
    Lifetime Member

36. By UK Cards Fan on Sep 9, 2014 | Reply

Good win against the toughest non-division opponent at we have at home this season (arguably).

My takeaways from the game:

-It clearly took Carson most of the game to find his rhythm, his stat line could’ve looked much worse with 2 dropped picks by the charges and a couple additional ill-advised throws.

-Todd Bowles didn’t hold anything back, Foote seems to fit in his system well and will hopefully stay healthy and have a good year.

-Not quite enough pressure on the blitzes, good push on the line but just not quite getting to the QB enough.

-Two very questionable play calls at key times: Going for two that early, especially with a direct snap to Dwyer… maybe it worked in practice, regardless, strange play call. Also, the fade to John Brown on third and goal. Why? You have an 8X probowler who’s specialty is his ability to find the ball and pick it out of the air.

Question(s) for Darren: Was Larry not getting just a case of Carson just not looking his direction? He didn’t seem to be in double coverage that often. Were there no plays designed for Larry like their have been in previous seasons?

Thanks

37. By Darren Urban on Sep 9, 2014 | Reply

UK Cards —

RE: Fitz

I think it was a little of all of it.

38. By ryan on Sep 9, 2014 | Reply

azqfan- there is a difference between confidence and common sense. In those situations you must go for 2. When you get the conversion and leave yourself a field goal to tie the game late in the 4 qtr you are in much better shape. That way a TD takes the lead and the FG ties. I’m sure everyone would agree a FG is much easier than a TD.

NickPepe- im in Iowa (central time) so i can feel your pain having to wait that late to watch the game and getting up early! Its so much more fun getting up to go to work at 1-0!!!

39. By Chuck 1 on Sep 9, 2014 | Reply

Observations from the Cards’ win over the Bolts

GOOD:
    a) Foot’s impressive all-around performance
    b) Palmer’s surprising running ability and steadiness under frequent pressure
    c) Brown’s elusiveness and speed
    d) The new FG kicker’s deep kickoffs and accuracy on field goals
    e) Cards’ ability to move several times from bad field position deep in their territory

BAD:
    a) Massie’s inadequate pass protection led to a sack
    b) Forget about Massie’s cast. That wouldn’t have been a factor if he’d have fallen on the fumble instead of trying to pick it up
    c) Butler taking too much time to get his punt away, leading to a block
    d) Arian’s decision to go for the first two point conversion with 12 minutes left in the fourth quarter when an extra point kick would have brought the Cards within a field goal of tying the game
    e) Run blocking for most of the game
    f) Inability to sack Rivers even though the Cards blitzed frequently
    g) Getting burned by a TE, Gates, AGAIN
    h) Powers getting beat deep by Malcom Floyd on third and long. There has to be a better DB than him

A Win is a Win, but the Cards must improve to hope to have a chance to win the West.

40. By TucsonTim on Sep 9, 2014 | Reply

Is there a link somewhere to Warner’s speech. Everyone at my office is asking what did he say and disappointed that it wasn’t on MNF

41. By Darren Urban on Sep 9, 2014 | Reply

Tucson —

RE: Kurt speech

We are working on it. It will be posted soon.

42. By blaxabbath on Sep 9, 2014 | Reply

Anyone else hold their breath when Carson threw that first TD to Taylor? I’m still shell shocked after years of forced passes and red zone picks but Palmer threw it hard and positioned the ball perfectly for that score. Like others have said, I’m relieved to have weapons to compliment Fitz.

And Darren, I wasn’t there, but I think Bowels said, “You’re healthy, you play.” (All in good fun)

43. By Scott H on Sep 9, 2014 | Reply

Well…as a loss, this would have been truly ugly. As a win, it is not exactly pretty but…then again, it’s positively beautiful! Gotta be honest, I was trying to stay awake ( out here in NJ ), but…when it was 12:30 AM and the Chargers just went up 17-6, I decided it was enough. It looked like a loss and I gave up. I was already resigned to being pissed off the next day but I HAD to try to get some sleep, ya know? Then, I flipped on ESPN radio ( in the shower, of course ) in the morning and heard the wonderful news! Suddenly, my Tuesday was looking absolutely lovely and I was not the least bit tired! Sorry I missed all the good stuff in the 4th but…maybe they needed me to tune out for things to turn around.

That said….how in the name of all that is good and decent could it be possible that Larry Fitzgerald was not even looked at as of the mid-way point of the 3rd quarter??? Sorry, but that is just ridiculous. And in a game that was looking like a loss and mostly because the offense was not making plays and sustaining drives, the fact that Fitz didn’t have a single catch that late in the game was impossible to ignore. How is that being rationalized????

44. By joe 67 on Sep 9, 2014 | Reply

Am I mistaken or did the Defense only have one penalty all night??

45. By j on Sep 9, 2014 | Reply

Fitz will retire as a Cardinal, he wont go anywhere regardless of $ or catches and plus this is a team not Arizona Fitzgeralds. Palmer targeted everybody in the game and that my friends is a recipe for big time success, i havent seen that diversity since “guess who” Kurt Warner.
    Defense will only get better from here and they looked great already!!
    Pass Rushing will get there, time helps that.
    Biggest take away from this game is TEAM, this was won because the cardinals played as a whole unit and not just a handfull of play makers. Coaches credit for that, love how BA doesnt lean on stars to win.
    Palmer is the real deal and soon the NFL will be singing the same tune.
    Best time to shine is in the 4th and the Cardinals own 4th Quarters.

46. By GACardFan on Sep 9, 2014 | Reply

Did not read every word of every comment above so if this was already mentioned sorry.

Wanted to make sure Paul Fanaika, a big question mark for many fans, got his due. He looked pretty good and really made John Brown’s TD possible, he was with the play all the way to the goal line. Great game Paul keep it up, love having some quality o-linemen and quality depth.

Go CARDS!

47. By t.stone on Sep 9, 2014 | Reply

RE: Fitz touches

B.A. is playing a little preemptive Rope-A-Dope with the Giants. See ya in NY.

48. By ryan on Sep 9, 2014 | Reply

Chuck- correction…the first 2 point conversion, if completed, would have brought them to within a field goal. hence, going for 2 points. The score was 17-6. We got a TD which is 6 so the score at that point was 17-12. Kick the extra point and it would be 17-13.

49. By BK on Sep 9, 2014 | Reply

With all this talk about the substance abuse policy change that the league is preparing too sign, is it possible that DW can have his suspension lifted?

Thanks.

50. By Darren Urban on Sep 9, 2014 | Reply

BK —

RE: DWash

Response is in here:

51. By Dr. G. on Sep 9, 2014 | Reply

My view from the Stadium Monday night…other than game stuff…

The crowd was in it down to the very last play takin’ a knee. Other observations: I was very impressed with the coordination of the crowd clapping in unison, very cool. Also, this homer crowd is more sophisticated than in years past by going nuts when Rivers was behind center, and then cooling it when Palmer was in. In past years, people just yelled whenever they felt like it. And, I am not talking about the visitor fans…

This crowd is beginning to develop a very cool iden tity. The parking lot had lots of fans cooking and imbibing, an occasional toker, tossing a ball around, music and showing off their gear…some really sweet rides decked out with Cards decals, flags and colorful hardware, and of course the gals showing off their latest minimized attractive clothing. Oooh the Sun Devil Stadium days…glad they’re long gone… Mikey…gettin’ it done….Kudos…

That we won made it all the sweeter…a good day Scooter!……

52. By Coach K on Sep 9, 2014 | Reply

Okay B.A., it’s time to turn Palmer into a read-option Quarterback after that rushing performance Monday night.

Okay, I’m just kidding, but his legs sure helped him make a few great plays. I guess he doesn’t need his spot anymore. Good for you Palms.

Great job by the defense, and a better job by Todd mixing up the defensive calls and keeping Rivers guessing the entire game.

A great opening win against a very good team. I feel very good about the Giants game next week, even with the travel to the East Coast.

53. By Coach K on Sep 9, 2014 | Reply

Oh, I hope we can find a better way to throw that fade pass in the end zone. Palmer looked terrible on those and they are such low percentage throws. I’d rather see some clever routes by the tight ends. Perhaps a smash route, or some drag routes mirrored on both sides. The receivers can run shallow post corners inside hard and then back out in a perfect V-pattern. I like that route better than those fade passes. Even a bow tie route by the outside receivers is better than those fades. Come on B.A.., the definition of insanity is repeating the same thing over an over and expecting different results. Let’s scap the fade route in the end zone please!

54. By Chuck 1 on Sep 9, 2014 | Reply

ryan,

Thanks for the correction.
    Regardless, I still think that going for two points with 12 minutes to go in the fourth quarter is still too early.

55. By William Barry on Sep 9, 2014 | Reply

Thought John Brown, Deone, Larry Foote, and Cantazarro played great. Dline was okay, and Carson had sufficient time to throw the ball, most of the time. Way to go Cards, and keep it going.

56. By Big Ken on Sep 10, 2014 | Reply

I think Rich Ohrnberger is my favorite ex-Cardinal.

57. By Nick Pepe on Sep 10, 2014 | Reply

I am with you Big Ken!

58. By John The Draft Guy on Sep 10, 2014 | Reply

br in nc,

Cooper;

No. Right now, he is not good at all. If he was a fifth round pick, he would be released.

I think it is pretty obvious that he is not able to get the job done right now. They put him in for one play, and had him pull (which is his strength) and he got blown up.

It is obvious he is not getting the job done in practice. Of course it was blamed on the fact that Campbell was so dominate, that Cooper struggled.

Meanwhile, I watched a 5th round guy named Troutman shut down Campbell. Their other guard, Reinhart was a D-2 guy drafted in round 3 and like the two guys we have starting, is a journeyman.

I argued that we needed to pass on a 7th overall pick being a guard. I got thumbs down and everyone said he would have multiple pro bowls including Keim. Forget pro bowls, he isn’t even able to get on the field .

First rounders are suppose to start. That is why he keeps getting chances. He looked bad in practice and got the excuse Campbell was dominate, he was bad in preseason and I hear the leg isnt healed. What is the new excuse? He needs time? OK, but how much time? Does he need two years of healing? Three years?

At what point do we believe our eyes?

59. By br in nc on Sep 10, 2014 | Reply

John
    How many years did Levi have before they pulled the plug? Massie is in what, 3rd year? Still not starting material. Olinemen take a heck of a lot more time adjusting at each level, very few HS stars go to college and play that first year, even fewer start, most red shirt. Adjusting to NFL takes time as well, certainly more than one game, do I think we keep hope alive for multiple seasons like we did with Levi, heck no
    But surely we cannot give up on him after 1 game in which he played 1 play, that is my only point, you may be right, he may be a total flop (for the record from the dominance he dished out every week in college I’am of the opinion he will pan out and be a solid LG that will anchor our line for years. And I will stand up and say I was wrong if he never pans out!) I just think 1 play in 1 game is way to early to give up on a Guy, especially an olineman, just don’t want to see him cut and then go to another team and make multiple pro bowls, all because we thought we had Cooper figured out after 1 play in 1 game. Now do we give him two or three years?? Honestly I don’t know, we have given Massie 3 years, gave Levi, what, 5-6 years?? Guess my biggest fear is having another Leonard Davis situation, made the Cardinals look real stupid. Besides, Cooper owes us at least this season, he was injured all of last year. Which is another factor, so you remember how well he started out last year? People were raving about him, and how well he was practicing, and adjusting to the NFL, of in facthis production is a confidence or mental issue those are often the hardest to overcome (is he driving himself out the door because he is afraid his leg, or some other part of his body will be seriously injured again?) Even though the confidence/mental aspects may at times be the hardest to overcome, they are also the hardest for people to accept as a real problem, myself included, and I’am probably at the top of that list, front of the line when it comes to, not sure how to put it…mental mind games, fear, lack of confidence, hesitation, all because of a injury, a very serious injury at that, but It is still difficult for me to understand (I have come to understand in “my business” those issues I listed above will get you killed) but I have seen enough and been around long enough to know they are real, they do exist, and not easy to overcome. I just don’t think it is lack of talent in Cooper’s case, otherwise his play/practice performance would have been at the same level before the injury as it is now.
    I hope they don’t give up on him prematurely, but as well, can’t hold on for to long, as it starts to hurt the team, I’m just thankful I don’t have to make the decision. But I do think they need to give him until next preseason at the very least before giving up on him.

60. By Dr. G. on Sep 10, 2014 | Reply

JTDG – Keim and all the fans who look at the business side of things, will totally agree with your blunt, but true assessment of Cooper’s dilemma. The $14.55 million in a fully guaranteed deal is the stickler here. In that the medical people have given the OK for him to go, the team coaches are obvious in their frustration. Coop must be scared of injury; I hate to think he is a bust. Or, is the NFL too BIG for him. I hope we get the answers before too long. The $$$$ investment is a big deal…. Be well…

61. By Dr. G. on Sep 10, 2014 | Reply

At the game, another thing that seemed obvious was that Palmer must have been thinking, “NO SACKS OR INT’S, PERIOD.” There were some passes that were seriously off target, over the receiver’s head or thrown away. I think he will be better served with this attitude rather than FORCING things. It was not always pretty, but he got it done. And if he maintains this attitude, he will begin to ease into a comfortable approach and gain better accuracy…

62. By Nick Pepe on Sep 10, 2014 | Reply

He threw 2 that should have been picke and 3rd that could have….. Disagree with that assessment

63. By John The Draft Guy on Sep 10, 2014 | Reply

Dr G,

Palmer;

You are absolutely correct. With the way our defense is playing, don’t throw INTs.
    Take the FG and dont force things.

We saw in this game, the defense kept it close and the offense scored TDs on two 4th quarter drives. But it wouldn’t have been enough had he thrown picks forcing it instead of checking down or overthrowing everyone and kicking the FGs early.

Palmer was brilliant in the first game. He used his feet when he needed to. He threw the ball where only the receiver could get it and didn’t force anything to Fitz.
    All that equals a win

64. By Dr. G. on Sep 10, 2014 | Reply

br – – One thing on Coop that we do not want to see is a fan panic attack. The mgmt and coaching staff have all seen this before. They want to try to get our money’s worth.

Based upon the MD’s opinions, I am beginning to think there is a confidence issue here. When you are a dominant bad-ass in college, then suddenly you have to deal with some men bigger-stronger than yourself, it can be a shocking and rude awakening to your confidence.

I mentioned prior that this is beginning to remind me of a man named Wadsworth. The difference was nagging injury/surgery issues, not a confidence problem…however the results were dire…. later

65. By John The Draft Guy on Sep 10, 2014 | Reply

br in nc,

Never said give up on Cooper. Just saying if he wasn’t a first rounder, he wouldn’t be on the team. I think most fans, including you, are disappointed in him.

Massie played well his last 8 games as a rookie and was beaten out by a seasoned vet year two. When they challenged him with Potter, Sowell and the guy from Pitt, he rose to the occasion. Not the same situation.

Levi Brown was a decent RT. He was our starting RT in the super bowl. The problem was the insistence to move him to LT, which he wasn’t mobile enough to do. At worst case, he could have started at RG.

Which brings us to Leonard Davis, who again was incapable of playing LT. Once he left, he was made a RG and went to the pro bowl.

Cooper is playing his natural position. The offense requires the LG to pull and lead a back (his strength).

As for 2014 rookie starters there are five guards getting the call and only one of them is a first-round pick (Zach Martin, Cowboys). The others are Joel Bitonio (Browns), Jack Mewhort (Colts), Zach Fulton (Chiefs), and Trai Turner (Panthers).

Meanwhile, in 2013, we watched rookie guard Kyle Long become a pro bowler. Larry Warford start every game, Brian Winters started 12 games and is the starter this year for Jets, Same with Hugh Thornton of the Colts.

Surely you get my point. To say it takes time is an excuse. His leg is an excuse. He missed last year is an excuse. He is being beaten out by Ted Freckin Larsen not Larry Allen.

To me, he is a huge disappointment and if he does not turn it around soon, it will snowball on him. He is not like Watford, who has the luxury to develop. He is the 7th overall pick who is sitting the bench.

66. By John The Draft Guy on Sep 10, 2014 | Reply

Dr G,

Wadsworth had 2 sacks against Aikman in the playoff win and 6 more sacks for the year.

He showed everyone why he was picked #3 overall briefly.

Cooper played one play and was stuffed into the back field. Not the same.

67. By John The Draft Guy on Sep 10, 2014 | Reply

br in nc,

BTW, remember how I argued that Bucannon was not going to run with TEs down the field and he reminded me of Wilson. He will be good at blitzing and playing the run and short routes, ect.

Did you see that in game one when they played him at ILB? Just wondering.

68. By Dr. G. on Sep 10, 2014 | Reply

jtdg – Re; Wadsworth….. I did not intend to indicate that Wads was similar to Coop… He was a warrior. My point was the injury situation that ruined his career. He was an awesome player. You remember that he and Swan had the same micro-fracture surgery that didn’t really fix anything.

Cooper is supposed to be awesome, and as we both say, he is looking like a marginal pick. This injury thing is either real, or it is an excuse to be scared or a slacker. I understand why BA is on his case some…

69. By John The Draft Guy on Sep 10, 2014 | Reply

Dr G,

I do remember. it ruined everyone who went and had that surgery.

Wadsworth, Swann, Mark Smith and Simeon Rice. What a great Dline they could have been.

70. By Kevin S Mesa on Sep 10, 2014 | Reply

I apologize if this has already been covered, but wanted to see if anyone else had the same opinion. On the Chargers’ first series, they had a third down play where their receiver was tackled, and then the ball was on the ground and a Cardinal picked it up. Play was blown dead (down by contact). At the game (I was there) they had just started to show a replay where it looked like the ball was out before the receiver was down, but then Rivers called for the next snap and so they cut away from that view. So I thought the Cards lost a chance to challenge, and figured when I got home and watched the replay on ESPN, they’d be talking about it. But then on ESPN, they didn’t show ANY replays of that play — it was like no one noticed there was at least an argument that there was a fumble. Did anyone else see what I saw at UofP and think that was a fumble?

71. By John The Draft Guy on Sep 11, 2014 | Reply

Kevin S Mesa

Possible fumble;

Yes, we were talking about challenging in my section of the stands but Rivers is that good. I saw the same thing and he rushed his guys up and got the play off. He did it a second time in the 3rd quarter on a pass that might of hit the ground. Rivers is a smart vet QB. Arians couldn’t get the information on challenging or not fast enough.

My brother was sure it was a fumble, I wasn’t sure.

2. Sep 9, 2014: Cardinals Blogs | Fitz: Winning “my only concern”
  3. Sep 9, 2014: Cardinals Blogs | Larry Fitzgerald: Winning “my only concern”