Larry Fitzgerald: Winning “my only concern”

Posted by Darren Urban on September 9, 2014 – 10:17 pm

I’m guessing that if Larry Fitzgerald’s one-catch game had come a couple of games down the road, his is-he-being-targeted storyline wouldn’t have been as big of a deal. But Bruce Arians talked about it today, and that came after Fitz’s dad, Larry Fitzgerald Sr. — who was at the game Monday — dropped a tweet that caught national attention:

The tweet got enough attention that Fitz Jr. decided to tweet a response Tuesday night:

Fitz had a big smile after the win. He has a good understanding where this team and this offense is right now. “In terms of numbers and stuff, goals I would set for myself back in the day, they were realistic where I was playing,” Fitzgerald told me last week. “Now you have to adjust that based on what you are asked to do.” He’ll be asked about this Thursday, the day he normally meets with the media, and he’ll echo what he said in his tweet. That’s Fitz. I’m sure he’d like more chances, but he’s looking for the victories too, and besides, he’s not the guy who is going to raise a fuss. He never has been.

Tags:

46 Responses to “Larry Fitzgerald: Winning “my only concern””

1. By SteveG on Sep 9, 2014 | Reply

An unnecessary response from Fitz…I am confident that we are all fully aware of Fitz’s attitude toward his touches (Doesn’t mean he has to like it, but complain? HAH!)

Man want’s to win as much as anyone in the NFL and will do what he has always done..Prepare harder then the other guy, work harder than the other guy and perform like a true champ when it counts the most…

Complete pro…No-one in the Birdgang has a single doubt.

2. By Brad O'Neill on Sep 9, 2014 | Reply

Fitz gets it, thats why we love him. He is being paid and sometimes the way you earn your money is by tying up the defense and letting the other guys shine. fitz would catch more than most if they chucked it his way but the other guys not being double covered are higher percentage plays. Fitz is worth every dime they are paying and as a fan i just want to say thanks for that game.

3. By Scharf on Sep 9, 2014 | Reply

Good to see Fitzgerald responding to this in classy Fitzgerald fashion.

Also, Darren I wanted to see if maybe you knew. Bobbie Massie’s “fumble recovery” was ruled a Cardinal ball – however San Diego was allowed to challenge this ruling. Was their a rule change? or did they goof? Last time I checked The recovery of a loose ball within the field of play is non-reviewable, unless the sidelines and/or goal-line is involved. Would really like to know.

Thanks again Darren!

4. By Darren Urban on Sep 10, 2014 | Reply

Scharf —

RE: Massie fumble

They changed the fumble ruling after a bad mistake in a Niners-Seahawks game, the play in which NaVorro Bowman tore his ACL, IIRC. You can challenge it.

5. By Sean on Sep 9, 2014 | Reply

It can’t be said enough about Fitz being one of the classiest guys to EVER put on a uniform. I certainly hope what his dad said isn’t true (as I don’t believe it to be), but it’s possible there could be some dynamic going on that we don’t know about. If that’s the case that would be ridiculous/foolish of the Cards to pay him millions & intentionally not throw to him…..& if it’s not the case, Fitz Sr. should take a lower profile & stop creating issues for his son. Just by Larry feeling the need to send out a tweet to distance himself from his father, has to make him uncomfortable. Just the few times I’ve seen his dad get interviewed on TV, he came across a little whiny with a victim mentality, like the world is against him. Larry’s mother must have been an amazing woman to raise an amazing son like him!!

6. By Cards Girl on Sep 10, 2014 | Reply

Fitz, classy as always. No doubt in my mind that the Cards organization values him highly. In a few weeks, opposing teams will stop keying on Larry as much and he will be “free-er” to allow shots to him without chances of INTs. Larry will always be an Arizona hero. This is from another Pitt grad. (Although Larry actually graduated from UOP.)

7. By ryan on Sep 10, 2014 | Reply

Well said Larry Fitzgerald! There is NOT one other human being in the NFL that has more class than our #11.

Reading these posts is like watching any type of sports with my father, damn near impossible! Every play, pitch, catch, throw, call, free throw, kick, putt, and a long list of many other things should be completed with 100% accuracy. Which is obviously impossible.

First half of last year- Palmer targets Fitz often and has pick after pick. Everyone complains and says throw to your other receivers. So he does and wins 7 of the last 9. Anyone remember that?

ONE GAME this year- EVERYONE freaks out that Fitz is targeted only 4 times and late in the game. Palmers/ Arians little pinkys have more football knowledge than ALL of us added together times two. So shut up, let the PROFESSIONALS do their jobs, AND ENJOY BEING 1-0!!

GO CARDS- POUND THE GIANTS!
    1-0

8. By JohnnyBluenose on Sep 10, 2014 | Reply

Senior’s post is ill-advised and, quite simply, wrong. Larry was thrown to four times and there were other times that Palmer looked his way but he was covered. For Senior to imply that the Cardinals are guilty of some kind of conspiracy to keep Larry’s stats down defies logic. The Cardinals have this right. This is about WINNING. This is about TEAM. Fitz understands this.

9. By Eric G on Sep 10, 2014 | Reply

Larry legend, always a class act. If I only have two wishes for this team, one is to win a super bowl of course, the other is to have Larry play his entire career in Cardinal red.

10. By LG on Sep 10, 2014 | Reply

It’s like BA say I don’t look for stats I look for win’s. Larry just out their on the field helps us win because the CB’s SS’s FS’s is watching him because he is our best weapon. so that lives other players open and that’s what you saw Monday night no forced int’s a dam near perfect game by Carson. but at the end of the day what do you want stats or win’s. a 100 yards and a lost or 22 yards and a win. Larry has been with us for a long time I think he just want to win.

11. By Marlin on Sep 10, 2014 | Reply

He’s a “class act”. And he still has the best hands in the nfl.

12. By EDijkstra on Sep 10, 2014 | Reply

I’m disappointed in Larry’s dad. Such comments are unproductive. They don’t do the team or Larry any good, so why make them?

He really should apologize.

13. By Patrick Hoog aka Don't Take Losses on Sep 10, 2014 | Reply

Fits: smart guy, good guy, team player… with eye on the prize… he exemplifies the team’s culture rhrn

14. By John The Draft Guy on Sep 10, 2014 | Reply

Watching the game live, Larry was not running free. Most of the game Brandon Flowers (a good CB) was on him with Weddle (a pro bowl safety) overtop.

I saw Palmer look his way but he wasn’t open. The one catch he did make, the safety was late coming over.

Meanwhile, Floyd drew single coverage early and made them pay.

It was a good Charger team who was well coached and had a good game plan on defense. Simple as that.

BTW, if you want to watch a great show, HBO has a documentary called Trophy Kids. For some reason, his comments made me think of that show.

15. By Brandon on Sep 10, 2014 | Reply

I love the responses from the fans. I think pretty much everybody on the planet (certainly CARDS fans) were well aware of Fitz’s take on the matter well before he responded. Man – Fitz’s is 100% class. I also agree with Brad O’Neill – he is worth every penny – regardless of the number of touches. And I still think he is going to have a big year as defenses are forced to start paying closer attention to our other receivers.

16. By azqfan on Sep 10, 2014 | Reply

Brandon, he may be worth every penny this year, but not next year. He is NOT worth more than Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, Tom Brady, etc… I hope he retires a Cardinal, but he will have to take a large pay cut, either here or somewhere else because no receiver, not even megatron is worth 24 million.
    That said I heard Chris Berman and Dilfer talking a lot about Larry “not being targeted” until the 4th qtr. It’s funny how they didn’t show ONE SINGLE replay of Fitz running wide open and Palmer ignoring him. Look Palmer was running for his life, and to think he had time to purposely look away from Larry is ignorant.
    Fitz will get his touches when he is open.

Maybe he should talk to his Father and Brother who both seem to spout off and get him in these weird controversies.

17. By leo on Sep 10, 2014 | Reply

If you look at the replay of Floyd’s 63 yrd catch, he ran past 3 defenders who were covering Fitz. Fitz was triple covered. It’s the first game. Put 3 guys on Fitz than everyone else is open.

18. By j on Sep 10, 2014 | Reply

Larrys father has been saying stuff like this since the start of his sons carreer, nothing new here.

19. By Geo on Sep 10, 2014 | Reply

The way I see it is the main throws went to the new players which is very smart coaching bring them up to speed with the offense in real game situations everyone knows what Fitz can do!

20. By Dynosoar on Sep 10, 2014 | Reply

The drawbacks of becoming the best. Double, triple coverage. However, I recall during our playoff run Warner would throw to and Fitzgerald would catch while in double and triple coverage.

That was several years and an injury or two ago and a different QB. My other thought, during that year if Fitz was double covered, Boldin and Breaston were open. Then when either of them were covered, Fitzgerald was open.

This is the first game and with Palmer’s weapons, if one is overly covered, others will be open. If Warner was blitzed, the defense paid the price. It’ll be the same here.

The throws to Fitzgerald will come, because after Monday night, Floyd will have to be addressed by opposing defenses, they’ll think Fitzgerald has lost a step and when he’s open one on one, they’ll pay for that. It’s only one game. We should have three receivers with over 1000 yards again during regular season.

21. By Scott H on Sep 10, 2014 | Reply

I would expect nothing from Fitz other than him showing class and saying the right things. AND I absolutely believe that HE believes in team success and winning above all else. The man would happily accept a reduced role in this offense if the Cardinals were holding up a SB trophy in February. But…really, why would THAT be necessary??? I am guessing that what we saw in Week One is NOT going to play out often this season. In terms of sheer skill / ability / talent, he is still the best WR on this team and there’s no way the coach and the QB don’t know that.

Just as Fitz’ presence has helped Michael Floyd tremendously, perhaps it won’t be long before we see this go the other way. Because It will not be long before opposing defenses are going to realize how dangerous Floyd is and they are going to have to shift more attention his way. And when that happens….how do they NOT start looking Fitz’ way more often???

NOT a bad problem to have! Because as long as our O-line is doing a solid job, there will be no way ANY defense out there will be able to contain Fitz AND Floyd AND John Brown AND Ginn AND Carlson AND our RB’s catching passes out of the backfield.

BUT…as we saw in Week 1, it CANNOT be good for offense to not be targeting Fitzgerald at all for 3 quarters. Our evidence? The fact that we took 6 lousy points into the 4th quarter. C’mon, man. The Chargers ain’t THAT good. We have to show opposing defenses that Fitz is still gonna be targeted early, often, and all over the field if we want to keep our other targets from drawing too much attention. Teams have to believe that Fitz is still gonna be the primary target and for them to BELIEVE that, they are gonna need to SEE some evidence of that.

22. By italycardfan on Sep 10, 2014 | Reply

Larry si è dimostrato ancora una volta un signore. C’è solo una cosa che mi dispiace, una cosa che non mi trova d’accordo con B.A.. Larry, che tiene occupati in copertura due o più difensori, è la chiave che permette a Michael Floyd e agli altri ricevitori di ottenere spazio e ricezioni. Larry è un patrimonio che va coccolato con amore. Credo che questo sia l’ultimo anno di Larry con i Cardinals. Se non cambia qualcosa nelle prossime partite, se non viene cercato da Palmer con più continuità credo che se ne possa andare in un team dove le sue qualità vengano apprezzate maggiormente e dove possa occupare posizioni adatte al suo talento.

23. By br in nc on Sep 10, 2014 | Reply

His father seems to pull this every year. I’m just glad Fitz is to honorable of a man to stoop to Pope’s level. He has always been about the wins, not personal stats. With our all around talented WR room, I just can’t see teams continuing to double Fitz, they will have to pick their poison, I can see some teams thinking that they need to double down of Floyd thinking/hoping that Fitz has lost a step, or his hands have slipped over the years (you know, the typical veteran on the back end of his career mentality) and when they do, Fitz will make them wish they hadn’t!! I believe that any of our top 3 WR’s are capable of torching any secondary at anytime, if defenses choose to concentrate on Ritz’s then Brown & Floyd rip them apart, and visa versa…very solid, outstanding group of WR’s we have, and most people are saying the Bears have the best group of WR’s, which is fine with me, let them remain in the spotlight while our studs continue to produce, and impress!!

24. By Dr. G. on Sep 10, 2014 | Reply

Fitz’s dad tweeting this ridiculous comment hurts only his son. Do not rile your children would be today’s lesson for him. Sad to see the necessary response.

It would make as much sense for Richard Sherman’s dad to complain that Aaron Rodgers would not throw in his direction so he could play some. Simply irrational….

Fitz makes a big contribution…ball or no ball! G’day…

25. By Scharf on Sep 10, 2014 | Reply

Thanks! I totally forgot about that, didn’t realize they had actually implemented the rule this year or not. Thanks for the info!

26. By georgiebird on Sep 10, 2014 | Reply

What I think Larry was really saying:
    1)If we win, I don’t care how many times I’m targeted
    2) If we lose, I agree with my father

27. By br in nc on Sep 10, 2014 | Reply

Georgiebird
    Just when I thought you had actually started posting intelligent, thoughtful, serious posts ( the past week or so you actually made some good point in most of your posts) then you go and throw this crap on here. You know damn well Fitz is the ultimate team player, always has been, and will continue being the ultimate team player until the day he retires, whether he retires as a Cardinal or not, he would never come out and complain about touches even if we were losing every game, hell Palmer could walk right up to Fitz and tell him he is never going to throw the ball his way ever again, and I honestly believe Fitz would still put a positive spin on it, in public anyway!

28. By Chuck 1 on Sep 10, 2014 | Reply

Can you translate what italycardfan wrote?
    My Italian is a little rusty. LOL

29. By Cactus jeff on Sep 10, 2014 | Reply

Ok here come the thumbs down but when I look up and see that the sky is blue I say it’s blue, and when I see Fitz negotiated a contract to force Cardinals to release him so he can shrug his shoulders a say “I guess they don’t want me” I have to say that too. He is trying to be the good guy and go to the team most likely to go the super bowl next year. Great he is saying all the right thing as he leaves the Cardinals to join the Seahawks, Niners or broncos next year. Ugh!

No he is not saying the right things…..here is the right thing to say Larry…. I told my people to renegotiate my ridiculous contract so I am cardinal for life and help this team win.

30. By Dyn on Sep 10, 2014 | Reply

As to Richard Sherman not getting targeted for an entire game, I think teams should target him. He’s the reason (or at least it sounds like he’s a main reason) we have an increased focus on D-Backs penalties that cost us an interception the other night.

Target him, once he can’t play his physical hands on game because of penalties he’ll have to adjust and that will take time. (He’s too good to not adjust, but it will take time.)

During that time, we get two wins against Seattle and win the Division. Throw the ball his way and make him pay for his style of play. Make him adjust his play (he will.) Then we’ll have an even better discussion next offseason as to the best Corner in the league.

Maybe that’s the game we target Fitzgerald on 15 or so plays. Haha!

31. By azdesertrat1953 on Sep 10, 2014 | Reply

I seem to remember that Fitz was thrown the ball in double and sometimes triple coverage last year and more than a few times that turned into a pick that got Carson on the bad side of most fans.

In this game, 1st of the 2014 season with 15 to go, Carson was trying Very hard Not to throw it up for grabs or into very tight coverage and possibly get a pick. He was trowing the ball away from defenders and just a bit out side at times. Case in point, the one that Fitz caught, one handed, just a tad out of bounds, no one else could have done anything if it would have been 12 inches to the left, no one other than Fitz making one Heck of a one handed TD catch! But if it would have been picked Chargers win.

Like I just said, 15 more games to go!

GO CARDS!!!

32. By Dynosoar on Sep 10, 2014 | Reply

Sorry, autofill made me a Dyn.

Actually, I didn’t understand this sentence. Seems it needs another word or three to make sense. Did he mean something different than everyone is reading into?

“If its been decided that you are not getting the ball just win”

Still, whatever he meant, Fitz’s response shows the class I’ve always seen from him. Whether word or deed (not laying out Sherman last year when he had the chance, throwing the ball to the ref Always, etc.)

I noticed Jaron Brown and Floyd tossing the ball to the refs. It begins with one, then two and then a culture begins.

33. By D on Sep 10, 2014 | Reply

Let me help Larry Sr on this Tweet this spring when the Cards and Larry go their separate ways:

“The cheap Cardinals screwed by Son”

When his total amount of contracts paid by Mr. B will be over 120mil..

34. By azdesertrat1953 on Sep 10, 2014 | Reply

One other thing that I have an opinion about.

The Cards have a 53 man roster, does Anyone think that only one or two players or a small group of players are the Only ones who can make the Team Win?

There is only One concern for Every Player on this Team.
    ‘What do I have to do to help the Team Win?’

It is not 2010, 11 or 12 anymore, this is a Team that knows how to Win with Every Ones Help no matter how big or small the role is for them, it is Now about the Win!

The Arizona Cardinals are Not fodder for other teams to practice on anymore!

GO CARDS!!!

35. By Dr. G. on Sep 10, 2014 | Reply

Darren – – Here is a very literal translation of the Italian post….the points are clear enough…. Be well

Larry has once again demonstrated a lord. There is only one thing I am sorry, there’s one thing that i agree with B. A. . Larry, who has kept us occupied in covering two or more defenders, and the key that allows you to Michael Floyd and the other receivers to obtain space and receptions. Larry is a heritage which must be pampered with love. I think this is the last year of Larry with the Cardinals. If it does not change something in the next few games, if it is not searched by Palmer with more continuity i believe we can go on a team where its quality will be appreciated more and where can occupy positions suitable to his talent.

36. By br in nc on Sep 10, 2014 | Reply

Dr G
    Did you stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night?? LOL!
    If not, then I’m impressed, how many languages do you speak sir?
    I myself have trouble with English, though I had gotten pretty good speaking certain phrases in Farsi, could never read, nor write it!
    On a totally seperate note – Anyone optimistic that our new waiver addition Thomas Keisler will jump on this opportunity and excel? He did have multiple sacks in very limited playing time last year for the Chargers. I don’t think I have ever seen him play though.

37. By PapaCardinal on Sep 10, 2014 | Reply

Larry’s dad needs to chill the hell out! That comment made him look like one of those selfish celebrity dads,who just wants more,more,more!! Seems like he would love to see Larry go to another team but his dad always seemed like that kind of guy anyway! Good thing Larry ain’t nothing like his greedy ass father!!

38. By italycardfan on Sep 10, 2014 | Reply

Sorry, here’s the translation.
    Larry has once again demonstrated a gentleman. There is only one thing I regret, one thing that I agree with BA. Larry, who keeps busy in covering two or more defendants, is the key that allows you to Michael Floyd and the other receivers to get space and receptions. Larry is a heritage which must be taken care of with love. I think this is the last year of Larry with the Cardinals. If something changes in the next games, if not more continuity with Palmer tried to think if I could go to a team where his qualities are appreciated more and where it can occupy positions suited to his talent. Excuse me for my imperfect English!

39. By Darren Urban on Sep 10, 2014 | Reply

italycardfan —

RE: Translation

Much better than Google. Thanks.

40. By NJAzCardsFan on Sep 10, 2014 | Reply

Fitz is the standard all other WR’s should judge themselves by…. Besides being a class act, he has an impecable work ethic, he is a true team player, a true company man and an extremely 1st rate WR… All of the other Diva type WR’s should take note….

Now for the Cards 2015 draft:
    QB and 5 ILB’s…..

Darren- Do you think Washington will ever play for the Cards again…???

41. By Darren Urban on Sep 10, 2014 | Reply

NJAz —

RE: Washington

Honestly, I have no idea. Very, very complicated if he were to play for them again.

42. By br in nc on Sep 10, 2014 | Reply

NJAZCardsfan
    Have to disagree with your draft prediction…
    Don’t need a QB at all, have 1 great one, 1 very capable backup, 1 future QB of the future, who potentially could be better than both of the other QB on the roster now.
    Will agree we do need ILB help via the draft, right now it is not a very strong or deep class, not sure there are any 1st round ILB’s in the draft next year. I would put the priority on OLB/Pass Crushers, I don’t think I would get upset if we went Pass Rusher, Pass Rusher…both round #1 & 2, of course just my humble opinion.

43. By tarter on Sep 10, 2014 | Reply

I have to call bs on BA’s statement. Saying you do not design plays for receivers is just that bs. Palmer was telegraphing plays to option 1 the whole game. He was lucky he didn’t get picked off. Saying you are running a play without a hot route is a ridiculous statement. If that don’t work out you move through the progression. I don’t know why Fitz was cold shouldered…If it was a part of the game plan they all agreed on… or if it is because of the contract thing or if it is just BA saying you’re not the face of the franchise anymore, I am…. or if it is the fact that Palmer is not accurate enough to throw in to double coverage… or maybe Fitz just isn’t good anymore. What I do know is that I watched Palmer basically ignore Fitz the entire first 3 quarters. Didn’t even turn his head in that direction the majority of the time. And I saw single coverage and open looks, he was not double,triple covered on 60 snaps. I also know that it is not because Fitz isn’t good anymore. Out of the 4 targets Fitz got the 3 incs were due to Palmer not Fitz and he made a great catch to get the 4th. I really just didn’t understand the game plan. If that is the offensive scheme for the rest of the year, we will be in trouble. At least it was a win, an ugly one at that but a win.

44. By azdesertrat1953 on Sep 10, 2014 | Reply

Fitz wants a SB ring!
    If it takes one catch in every game to win one, then that’s what he will do if that is what it takes and he will do it with a Big Wide Smile on his face!

GO CARDS!!!

45. By clssylssy on Sep 11, 2014 | Reply

The first game is now behind us and this is a short week so I’m thinking this could be something of a trap if we ride too high on our week one success (dubious at best) or our record from last season. While the Giant’s appear to be less of a challenge than the Chargers, they nonetheless have some very good talent including Rolle, Thurmond, DRC, and Manning hasn’t won multiple Superbowls being a chump. The travel is going to be against us and historically the Cards have had difficulty when playing on the east coast because of the fatigue factor except when Coach Whisenhunt had us go back early and we were able to beat the Patriots in Foxboro. Any plan for the team to travel east a day early? It’s usually these games considered “easy” that turn out to be our major stumbling block and I have to say, I don’t think this will be a slam dunk. Sure hope our defense has their ducks in a row and can contain Eli and Carson is on his game. This will be a good test of what kind of road team we’re going to be, and will be crucial to making the playoffs. GOOD LUCK CARDS, NO TIME FOR NAPPING!

2. Sep 10, 2014: Cardinals Blogs | Abraham provides another headline for Cards