Keim: Still waiting on Abraham decision UPDATED

Posted by Darren Urban on September 15, 2014 – 8:08 am

The Cardinals do not yet know if linebacker John Abraham will retire or not. General Manager Steve Keim, Monday on his weekly appearance on the “Doug and Wolf” show, said the team is still giving the veteran his space and that the team expects Abraham’s decision “in the next 24 hours.” Certainly there remains a chance Abraham could end up playing against the 49ers. “That’s a tough question,” Keim said. We know Bruce Arians (half-)joked yesterday he was hoping someone — someone being Abraham — came out of retirement to help the pass rush. The funny thing is, if Abraham does return, there is no guarantee he’ll produce. But the Cardinals want to be able to find out.

UPDATE: Bruce Arians said Abraham is indeed returning to the team.

— The right shoulder nerve injury with quarterback Carson Palmer leaves him day to day, Keim said. “The timeline is a little bit of an unknown,” Keim said. The injury should only get better, Keim added, but now, it’s day to day. It’s still possible Drew Stanton gets the 49ers start this coming Sunday.

— Keim said he thought S Tyrann Mathieu did fine in his season debut. Mathieu only played five snaps, recording a tackle. Keim said the package that includes Mathieu will increase each week.

— Keim was happy with the rescue job of backup quarterback Drew Stanton, noting that Stanton was one of the first players he signed when he became GM and could have been the starter if the Palmer trade had not happened. Still, you get the sense Keim would prefer, not surprisingly, for Palmer to be able to return sooner rather than later. At least Stanton got off to a positive start. “I’m sure some of those guys on defense didn’t even know who I was,” Stanton joked after the game.

— Keim praised left tackle Jared Veldheer, and good blind-side protection will mean a lot going against the 49ers.

Tags: , , , , ,

61 Responses to “Keim: Still waiting on Abraham decision UPDATED”

1. By ryan on Sep 15, 2014 | Reply

Well done Drew Stanton and the rest of the CARDIAC CARDS! After watching the 9rs game last night, i have no doubt we have a good chance at winning. Sure there are things to work on but that is the case each week no matter what. Only 6 teams @ 2-0.

Lets beat the 9rs and roll into Denver at 3-0
    I HAVE A FEELING
    GO CARDS!!

2. By Mike G on Sep 15, 2014 | Reply

Yo Darren–Hope all is good! Great team win by the Cards yesterday. Really was impressed with Stanton in how he took care of the football and led the offense. Was also happy for Ginn in his big punt return TD. Winning the turnover battle on the road was impressive. Thought Campbell and Foote came up big. The referees were somewhat inconsistent. Great to be 2-0 and have a monster game at home against the 49ers on Sunday. If the Card’s want to go where they want to go(win division or wildcard) I believe they need to win Sunday. Darren– Do you think Bowles will continue to be a blitz heavy team and put their 2 starting corners 1 on 1 with opposing WR’s?????

3. By Darren Urban on Sep 15, 2014 | Reply

Mike G —

RE: Blitzes

I would guess yes.

4. By krehbieo14 on Sep 15, 2014 | Reply

We are fortunate to have a backup quarterback as good as Drew Stanton. Remember Brian Hoyer? Look what he’s doing now?

5. By cardsalltheway on Sep 15, 2014 | Reply

If Abraham decides to “come out of retirement” should we let him play this week vs. the 49ers? The California’s Lieutenant Governor is calling for 49ers to bench Ray McDonald due to his pending case. Or should we sit Abraham because of his pending case like the Vikings have sat Adrian Peterson?

6. By br in nc on Sep 15, 2014 | Reply

Cardsallthe way
    In my opinion, these cases are totally different. Abraham got a DWI, while I don’t condone that behavior (have not touched a drop in 18 years) Abraham’s offense wasnt domestic violence agiant a woman or, in Peterson’s case, a child. These teams that have domestic abuse cases were pretty much forced by the media (all the attention that Ray Rice’s despicable act, has drawn) and the light punishment that the NFL handed down, have created a national outcry (and rightfully so!) that more has to be done, the Panthers sat Greg Hardy as well, he played the first game, has been convicted, and is appealing the conviction, the Panthers had no intention of sitting Hardy until all the attention came down from the Ray Rice story. The owners have to take action and put the perception out that they are going to be proactive when it comes to violence on women and children. As sad as it is to say, it is a financial decision, the last thing these teams need is a boycott of their teams games, because they didn’t take a firm stand against domestic violence. Sadly it all comes down to money! Which is sickening in my opinion!

7. By kauaicardsfan on Sep 15, 2014 | Reply

You know what I really like about this team is the “next man up” mentality. But GM Kiem and the Staff really did a great job making the team 3 deep in some areas where the next guy in line is just as good or making a push to be on the first team so there is no drop off in talent.
    In the past you could really see the difference when the starters got hurt and the back ups stepped in, too much drop off.
    Kudo’s to Kiem and the staff!!
    Love this team! GO CARDS!!!

8. By Dynosoar on Sep 15, 2014 | Reply

I’d love to see Abraham beat Strahan’s record this year, but getting his life in order and making a fresh start as a retired player is a top notch plan as well.

Since the article announcing his “possible” retirement by Darren last week, two things have been hammered home.

One, Next Man Up is Real! The team Knows they can win with their starters and it doesn’t matter if those starters were second string the weekend or the practice before. The Cardinals are going to win.

Only 6 teams undefeated across the league. Buffalo and Houston are two of them. It’ll be great going into the bye week as one of the few undefeateds. I always have wondered at the “ugly win” statements I see from time to time. Luckily this isn’t figure skating and at the end of the day, a bobbled catch for a touchdown or a strike to the numbers of someone wide open net the same points, six. There are no points for pretty. No triple jumps in this sport.

The second thing that I’ve always known, but was hammered home, this team has class and the t-shirts stating Trust Loyalty Respect are for real. I didn’t know until last weeks article that Abraham had checked himself into a rehab. All I knew is even though he was MIA, the coaches and team had his back.

That’s Trust Loyalty Respect.

This team may have an all time losing record, but there’s no team with as much class and honor. We may have our equals, but there’s none with more.

Home Field advantage next February is ours. “Arizona, it’s your destiny.” (obligatory Star Wars reference). Last year destiny was with Seattle and they and their fans knew it. This year, it’s ours.

(br in nc, this is the short version. Haha.)

Next stop, San Francisco at home.

9. By John The Draft Guy on Sep 15, 2014 | Reply

Did anyone ask Keim why he has ignored drafting a pass rusher again?

The pass rush is one of the worst in the league. Sure we will get a sack here or there, but , on passing play after passing play, the QBs are allowed to sit back and pick apart our 22nd ranked defense against the pass. Yes, 22nd ranked.

We have two sacks this year and one is by a safety.

The thought was, take away the run and make the other team have to pass. our CBs and safeties are so good, we can blitz everyone and put pressure that way. Bowles has done an excellent job doing this, except PP and Powers, and even Jefferson and Bucannon to a smaller degree, had trouble staying with the Giant receivers and TEs. If you dont blitz the house, we cannot get a hurry on a QB.

I mean, It is great to win and a win on the road is difficult, But 5 drops and the Giant RB falling down and fumbling without anyone touching him, Not to mention giving up a punt return TD then fumbling on the KO return, all in the 4th quarter. The Giants gave us that game.

The lack of any production from the OLBs is disturbing. Without Abraham, we cannot put any pressure on the QB without a blitz. This is a very disturbing trend.

10. By br in nc on Sep 15, 2014 | Reply

JTDG,
    Wasn’t Martin drafted as a pass rusher, as well as Acho, and Okafor?
    And Abraham was brought in for just that reason, injuries made him an every down player, otherwise he was going to be used as a pass rush specialist, right?
    DD gone for the year doesn’t help in the least, he he assisted (off the books) in quite a few sacks, by getting a big push up the middle.
    It does look like they have attempted to improve the pass rush recently, both through the draft and free agency, it just hasn’t worked out as well as expected. But then again, were any of the recent draft picks true, dominate pass crushers? Am I understanding your point? I’m reading it as you saying – we haven’t totally neglected fixing the pass rush, but the recent picks that were made were not known for there dominate, God given pass rush talent. They were drafted with the thought that they would develop into solid pass rusher who would put up solid double digit sack #’s with the assistance of the defensive scheme? Or do you think none of them can ever put up solid sack #’s (in other words SK & BA misjudged their capabilities)??

Now you have the little mouse in my head running like hell in his little spin wheel trying to think who we could have drafted this past draft, and what round, who do we give up in order to get the dominate pass rusher?? Round #2, maybe pickup a TE later in the draft? I’m not sure I would want to lose any of our top 3-4 picks
    Heres a question for you, JTDG – If you had to give up one of our top 4 picks who would it be?? And which dominate pass rusher would you pick in his place?? Anyone have any scenarios that they would like to throw out there??
    I’m torn right now, I can’t decide which of our top 4 picks to sacrifice!
    Actually you bring up a solid point, and I’m finding the answer isn’t easy, very difficult decision IMHO.

11. By D on Sep 15, 2014 | Reply

That was a good win on the road with the backup QB when Seattle and SF both lost. Cards still flying under the radar, which is good.

Let’s hope Carson’s nerve wakes up for SF, will need all starters for this huge game. John A off the street would help because as we all saw last night, Colin makes dumb decision’s when pressured.

I am not worried about Veldheer, but Massie is worrying me with his troubles against speed pass rushers.

Just when we thought the special team’s coach was going to have to find his own way back to AZ after the game, Ginn bailed him out. It was also nice to see CC play great like we need every game from him…

12. By John The Draft Guy on Sep 15, 2014 | Reply

I’m glad the cards got a win, but I really am not happy about this performance.
    I hope we are not going to be that team that plays down to bad competition. We play a tough one against a good SD team, then stink it up against a really bad (maybe the worst team) in the Giants.

Everyone is singing Stanton’s praises. Why? Because he didn’t throw an INT?

Stanton completed 48% of his passes for 167 yards, 0 TDs, while missing wide open receivers for TDs .

His QB rating was 66.3. He got one ball to Floyd (still waiting for his dad to comment)

The Giants are really, really bad. They imploded in the 4th and gave us the game. The turf monster trips their rb, who was close to the redzone, and he fumbles without anyone touching him, the receivers catch everything till the 4th quarter, then have 5 drops, they miss a tackle and allow Ginn to go 71 yrds for a TD, and then fumble the next KO, that is imploding at its best.

This won’t cut it against the niners. 48% and no TDs will not beat the niners, no pass rush will not beat the niners, PP grabbing guys and getting PI’s putting the team on the one, will not beat the niners.(especially since Crabtree usually has a good game against PP) In fact, that performance will not beat many teams in the NFL.

Sure we got a win. But there is a lot to be unhappy about.

13. By Jason on Sep 15, 2014 | Reply

I echo your point about the pass rush and I conveyed it to my brother during the game this way: Can’t argue a road win with your backup QB…but…the middle of that game was painful to watch. It’s awesome to have such a great run defense, but without a pass rusher we become really predictable on third downs. We can only generate pressure by playing zero coverage with a heavy blitz which is like going all in with a small pair pre flop…you’re going to lose your fair share of those.

I just saw Abraham is coming back! Let’s hope he can return with the passion and swagger he had last year.

14. By Jason on Sep 15, 2014 | Reply

I also think you aren’t giving our team enough credit for the two huge special team plays that we’re made. The sequence that turned the game was the third down ‘drop’ (it wasn’t an easy catch) the punt return and forced fumble on the kickoff. Ginn and Demens made plays that altered the course of the game and should get credit.

15. By Steve on Sep 15, 2014 | Reply

John The Draft Guy, the lack of a pass rush will probably be this teams achilles heel this season and since Keim has shown a tendency to draft for need (despite saying best player available) I would expect him to draft at least 2 OLB’s high in the 2015 Draft. The G-men do not have a good O-line but they neutralized our rush most of the day. Sam Acho and Matt Shaughnessy are solid players but not natural pass rushers. Time for an upgrade.

16. By red bird of death! on Sep 15, 2014 | Reply

I do hope Abe comes back we’ve been so mauled by injury and bs this year so far, but if doctors say no than that’s it, I mean I have memory loss and I’m about the same age is it from football or just being nuts my whole life I don’t know? It would be awesome if he did come back though I tell you he could light it up one …..more ,,,,,,,,,,,time.

17. By j on Sep 15, 2014 | Reply

Cards D is one of the best so far, think # 3 in points allowed (NFC), thats a good stat to have.

18. By D on Sep 15, 2014 | Reply

John the Draft Guy- I agree with your concerns, Drew was rusty as we all watched him hold onto the ball too long and have accuracy issues, he is a backup for a reason..this team needs Palmer healthy. I’ll take the win though.

As far as your LB worries, I would watch what the Bills do with Jerry Hughes, if they let him get to the free agent market, he would be a nice replacement at OLB for a pass rush. Then I would use at least a 2nd round draft pick on one of the two top ILB in the draft, either Perryman or McKinney, both are fast and could replace DWash as a good coverage LB this team needs.

19. By SuperBird on Sep 15, 2014 | Reply

Another great win! But does anyone else get the same Angels In The Outfield-esque occurrences? I mean, not complaining but there have been far too many drops against our team to be normal. Definitely going to start the Angel Sign at the next game🙂

20. By Mike in Gilbert on Sep 15, 2014 | Reply

Just read Adam Schefter said Abraham’s coming back – yay!
    as of 12:42 pm Monday:

21. By Darren Urban on Sep 15, 2014 | Reply

Mike in Gilbert —

RE: Abraham

Comon now, you don’t follow me on twitter?

12:21 p.m. Monday

22. By John The Draft Guy on Sep 15, 2014 | Reply

br in nc,

pass rushers;
    No, I do not believe Acho, Shaughnessy, or Okafor will develop into double digit sack guys. For Martin, I haven’t seen enough of him.

As for addressing it, I’m not sure taking guys in the 4th round is completely addressing it.

Your question; To address it honestly, I have to go with what I said prior to the drafts. I think you could find this all over this blog.
    Instead of Cooper, I would have taken Kenny Vacarro. I think I made that very clear before the draft. Now with a star SS, there would have been no need to draft Bucannon, and I would have taken Demarcus Lawrence OLB. Although DLaw broke his foot, it still would have given us a legit OLB / pass rusher for the second half of the season and playoffs. So Vacarro/DLaw over Cooper/Bucannon.

23. By Anthony on Sep 15, 2014 | Reply

Seeing on the web page that Abraham is returning just made me jump out of my chair and scream! So excited! Let’s go 3-0 and show that we Cardinals mean business!!

24. By John The Draft Guy on Sep 15, 2014 | Reply

Just saw the update. Thank God Abraham is returning.

D
    pass rushers and ILBs – I liked Hughes coming out of the draft.

I am not sure who my favorite OLB in the draft is yet.

ILB- my first guy I really like is Eric Striker of OU. OK he plays OLB and is too small to do so in the pros. He will probably be an WOLB in a 4-3.
    But, this kid can do it all. Rush the passer, cover people, play the run. Reads and reacts as good as anyone. Lavonte David / Derrick Brooks clone. He could play DWash spot and get 5-6 sacks will 3-4 picks and 100 tackles. Love Eric Striker.

25. By jeffgollin on Sep 15, 2014 | Reply

Great news, assuming John’s health isn’t in any further jeopardy by playing.

26. By John The Draft Guy on Sep 15, 2014 | Reply

Dynosoar,

On a completely different note;

I watched Tennessee play Saturday. Looking only at the offense, you have to have hope.

That big RB, Jalen Hurd, might end up being a very good one. He reminded me of Eddie George in his style. I really liked him.

Of Course, North is the real deal and will be a 2-3rd rounder coming out this year, but if you have a young QB coming up and with that RB, you could surprise some people.

Of course, the OLine needs to improve and OU handled that defense.

27. By Dr. G. on Sep 15, 2014 | Reply

Just got a scoop that Abraham will come in Tuesday and play against the 49’ers. This is the best thing for him, now that he has been cleared medically. Memory? Stress is an awful concept, John…you will be better working and keeping real busy! My best….

28. By Darren Urban on Sep 15, 2014 | Reply

Dr. G —

RE: Abraham

Scoop?

29. By Dr. G. on Sep 15, 2014 | Reply

JTDG and FANS – – Yep, the turf monster gave the Cards a 14 point swing!

We defeated a seriously pathetic Giants team, and did it with equally pathetic execution on both sides of the ball, beginning with Peterson. I’ll take the gift. This proves that turnovers are indeed a HUGE deal in the NFL.

The interesting thing is that we have explanations…and they can be fixed this week. Bowles needs to get a medal for jamming at every opportunity. What else can a team do but go to the “instincts” and make the other QB know that he must do something and quickly! We just have to trust the secondary to make the plays that at least one of them has been boasting about all Spring and Summer. I don’t have time to elaborate now…read JTDG’s stuff…it’s covers things well….

Cards need to keep jamming when the Frithco 49’ers come to town…Be well…

P.S. Darren, tell us how Dockett felt and is progressing with all the flying and sitting? Thanks….

30. By Darren Urban on Sep 15, 2014 | Reply

Dr. G —

RE: Dockett

I have not talked to him but he seemed fine.

31. By Dynosoar on Sep 15, 2014 | Reply

Would have supported his decision either way. Glad to have him back. With a Super Bowl ring next February, he just may be Hall of Fame bound. Now to have him pass Strahan in sacks and be #8 on the all time list with a ring should cement this. Or would it?

Add Warner, Fitzgerald and Abraham, and possibly a couple others (DD, A-Dub, BA) and the Cardinals could begin building a serious presence in Canton.

32. By JohnnyBluenose on Sep 15, 2014 | Reply

I am very happy that we are 2-0 but I agree with some of you other posters who have pointed out our weaknesses and our good fortune to have taken advantage of mistakes made by both the Chargers and the Giants. While I do not at all foresee a repeat of the 2012 season it is worth noting that we started 4-0 that year and then lost 11 of the final 12 games. It’s a good start but we have a long way to go and we are not as good now as we were at the end of last year.

33. By Dr. G. on Sep 15, 2014 | Reply

Darren, Scoop…Yes… I read a post that quoted you. I should have worded that differently… How could anyone get that sort of thing before you? G’day…

34. By Darren Urban on Sep 15, 2014 | Reply

Dr. G —

RE: Scoop 2

Ha. Sometimes people will post stuff before I can. Sometimes, yes, people will have something before me.

To bend the cliche, the guys on the other team are getting paid too.

35. By Dynosoar on Sep 15, 2014 | Reply

John The Draft Guy,

I have a lot of hope for my Volunteers. North is only a sophomore, so imagine where he’ll be after two more seasons. Hurd plays really well. I think next season we could return to the top ten in the polls and have some staying power.

I like that Alabama has played three junior college teams and is still at 2 and 3 in polls. Gotta love the pass given to SEC teams. (And yeah, my teams SEC.) It reminds me of how many Cowboy fans say they’re the best, with one playoff appearance in what, 20 years? Strength of schedule, with six junior college type teams and six real good teams, how is that “better” than other teams?

I’m glad to have your assessment.

Well, back to the NFL. (I’m thinking North would look good as a WR in Cardinals red in two years.)

36. By John The Draft Guy on Sep 15, 2014 | Reply

On a different note, I just saw AP is back. It got me thinking with a little help from Pro Football Talk.

The Vikings said they have a zero tolerance policy for domestic violence and proved it by releasing AJ Jefferson after he was accused (prior to being found guilty) of domestic assault. Yet, today, the Vikes brought back AP, saying they believe it should play its self out in the courts.

The Panthers released Lawrence Wilson on DUI prior to being found guilty, but Greg Hardy was able to play in the season opener after being charged with assaulting his girlfriend and throwing her on a coach full of guns.

The 49ers suspended Demarcus Dobbs after a DUI siting zero tolerance but then have allowed Ray McDonald , arrested of domestic abuse that left visable marks, to start both games.

It seems we are saying, Zero tolerance unless you are good.

Of course, There is the Ray Rice story of a two game suspension until the video came out. Would video change each one of these cases. Would it change your mind seeing and out of control DWash choking a woman?

All this leads me to, what are the cards going to do with DWash, a repeated drug offender and accused of domestic abuse? Should we put our foot down and say he will be released after suspension?

Is it time for the NFL and fans like you and me, to stand up for women and children and not tolerate this kind of behavior? At the same time, shouldn’t we make sure the athlete is guilty before we dish out punishment? With pictures of beaten women and kids with welts, do we need to wait?

Finally, as a society, why are these abusers not being punished in the courts? Wouldn’t jail time (i.e. Vick) justify a team to give the player a second chance since he paid his time? If Ray McDonald, AP, Greg Hardy and DWash were found guilty and went to jail, doesn’t that take the decision out of the NFLs hands?

Love to hear anyone’s opinion on this.

37. By Dr. G. on Sep 15, 2014 | Reply

JTDG – – You asked for opinion on the DV, DUI, DRUG things. Well, the first take is blending gold diggers with wealthy young athletes who have not been properly socialized, and have no idea how to handle the surprise that $$$$$ and a modicum of fame brings. The posse also brings about the pressure that must be rejected to develop a meaningful, rational life style. It is easy to ignore the lessons of wisdom.

As for GM actions/penalties prior to court decisions, it is obvious some are looking to take some mulligans. Love it or hate it, “The Great Experiment” brings forth the “innocent until proven guilty” principle and rule of law. In our legal system, that is how things work. The NFLPA//NFL rules do not apply, and cannot prosecute for criminal//misdemeanor acts. The legal system can and will prosecute crimes without regard to NFL opinion.

Now, as for those who have conduct clauses and stipulations in the employment agreement, ((most business do)) it is the privilege of the employer to protect their image and to maintain good standing in the community who supports their business. If that means taking action to limit or remove a person from their business, so be it. One cannot embarrass their employer indiscriminately without expecting retribution. An employee who is in the public eye has an even greater responsibility to protect the business and its public reputation. And on the flip side, the legal system will not get involved…unless there is civil action.

Bottom line for me, if a player recklessly embarrasses our team, I’m OK with keeping him from additional exposure to the public image we want to maintain. Crime or no crime, embarrassment hurts any business. Damage control is the best path to take. A public image consultant//media relations person can try to estimate the results of any actions taken or not taken… Be well… Sorry, this is so long…this is a touchy subject…

38. By Dr. G. on Sep 15, 2014 | Reply

JTDG – – I neglected to mention that the NFL and NFLPA have some agreed upon rules and penalties stipulated. For example, the WEED rules are not negotiable…as in the 3rd Strike for Dwash. It’s 1 season out and don’t ask to deal…

39. By BigAl on Sep 15, 2014 | Reply

JTDG
    I totally agree w/your concerns…& respect many of your observations over time…
    I’ve learned a lot, especially from your salary cap statements, that said however,
    what/when/who do you think Keim should have worked to acquire? I have to agree w/br in nc & D above…I believe Okafor was to be an incumbent behind Abraham, however it seems he just can’t seem to ever get fully healthy…Also, we
    signed Abe for two years & in May (draft) we were unaware of his issues…I still agree w/br who would you rather have drafted if we had known? Those first four
    picks are all currently contributing…an injury away from being full time starters &
    are future starters…the only reason they’re not starters is because of the depth of this team that Keim/Arians have put together. So throw a name out? How much did the Bears pay for Jared Allen? GB for Peppers? Denver for De Ware? Don’t believe we could have afforded “what we thought, we already had” in ABE! Thank You!

40. By Scott H on Sep 15, 2014 | Reply

Well, first, I hope Abraham does what is best for him. This off-season for him has just had a…rather foreboding flavor to it. I truly question if his heart REALLY IS in this at this point. And I have to wonder how much he is going to have to offer at this point.

In regard to Stanton, I really don’t believe there is a significant drop off from Palmer to Stanton. NOT saying I think Stanton is a better QB. But I WILL say it was nice to get through a game without our QB throwing an INT. It was REAL nice. AND I have to think it is gonna be harder for the 49ers to be prepared for Stanton that it would be for Palmer. Palmer is a much better known commodity and they have seen him twice playing for the Cardinals. Stanton? How can they have a real good sense of him? COULD be a potential advantage for the Cardinals. Glad we’re playing this one at home.

Our defense – especially the secondary – is gonna have their hands full in this one. Looks like Crabtree is getting back up to speed, Boldin is still playing at such a high level, AND Vernon Davis scares the hell out of me with how we still seem to be struggling against TE’s so far. And Gore and Hyde can pound away at a defense all day. Kaepernick is still a work in progress and is prone to mistakes. But that offense is loaded and if the QB is NOT killing them with his mistakes….this is still among the best teams in the league.

This one is huge, no two ways about it. Winning this one would be like winning 2 games on the same day because you move up in the division and you send a division rival that is probably THE team you are going to have to beat out this season in the other direction. Go one mile forward, send the other team one mile back, and you have put 2 miles between you.

Or, you lose and there is no distance between you at all. Quite an opportunity to make a move on your season, fellas. You get this one at home, so go get it.

NO reason the Cardinals cannot win this game.

41. By Richard S on Sep 15, 2014 | Reply

The offensive line has had a hard time of it pass blocking the last 2 weeks. In game 1 Palmer had to pull Houdini escapes 3 times. I’m not sure that our O-lines pass blocking is much better than last year. Maybe we improved a little in the less false starts category.

42. By krehbieo14 on Sep 15, 2014 | Reply

Scott –

Your impressions about Stanton and Abraham are insightful!

43. By John The Draft Guy on Sep 15, 2014 | Reply

BigAl,

I think I already threw out a name. And I stated what I would have done before each draft. I think you can go back and see this is what I argued BEFORE each draft.

In 2011, I loved Von Miller but if gone, I wanted Robert Quinn. When the Falcon trade came up, I would have made that trade. At the bottom of round 1, I would have traded again with the saints, since the QB I liked (Christian Ponder – Just keeping it real) was gone. In the second round, I wanted OLBs Akeem Ayers or Justin Houston.

2012- I was all about the QB and would have traded up for Tannehill. Of course, if I was GM in 2011, I would have 3 first round picks that could have addressed the QB and Oline. But the pass rusher I liked was Whitney Mercilus. He had 7.5 sacks last year but struggled against the rush. I still believe he could be a double digit guy. Reminds me of Simeon Rice.

2013- , I was all about SS Kenny Vacarro. He was the top guy I believed. In round two, I liked OLB Jamie Collins. The patriots took him instead. But because the Pats have moved to a 4-3, he is now the starting SLB. Again, I think he could play that OLB opposite Abraham.

2014- My guy in the first round was Demarcus Lawrence. A broken foot in pre season has him out, but I believe this guy will be a double digit sack guy. We went with Bucannon, who is a nice player, but isn’t the guy who can shut down TEs. Lawrence would be of more value (when foot is healed) .

As a signing, I would have called about D Ware. The Broncos seemed to find a way to sign him. Not to replace Abraham but to go with him.

44. By John The Draft Guy on Sep 15, 2014 | Reply

BigAl,

Since we are where we are and cant go in the past, here are some names to think about in a trade. These are only players that it would be realistic to get.

Akeem Ayers, Tenn Titans – Ayers was a star at UCLA getting 14 sacks and 29.5 tackles for loss. In Tenn 4-3 , he became a SOLB, and had his best year in 2012 with over 100 tackles and 6 sacks. At 6’3″ and 255, he has the size and speed to play in our 3-4. He has fallen out of favor with Whiz and the Titans. A fifth or sixth round pick? This is a risk pick.

Justin Houston, KC Chiefs – Houston has put up double digit sacks with the Chiefs. Why Houston? Houston is ready for a new contract. The Chiefs used a 1st rounder on Dee Ford and the Chiefs are 0-2 with away against Miami, Chargers and niners and home against Pats in next 4 games. They could easily find themselves 0-6, 1-5. A second rounder? Possibly. Might take a 1.

Brian Orakpo, Redskins. Orakpo could not agree to a long term deal and is under franchise tag. The redskins countered by making their first pick OLB Trent Murphy in round two. Orakpo is another double digit guy, and the skins could easily lose 3 of the next 4. At 2-5, you think about next year as a GM.

Are any of these guys available? I dont know. The chiefs wont take my calls. But if I am Keim, regardless that the 36 year old Abraham has returned, I am making the call.

I ask you, do you feel this team has a chance to win it all? If you feel yes, why not add a player to try to make that happen. You see it in Baseball all the time. Let’s add that closer we need. .

45. By Kevin S Mesa on Sep 15, 2014 | Reply

The lack of a pass rush is concerning. Also, maybe it just seemed that way to me — I’d have to go back and verify — but my impression was that on just about every third down play, Bowles brought the house. When you bring the house and still can’t get to the QB, he picks you apart. Maybe on a few of those plays we could show blitz and then back off? It just seemed too predictable and a vet QB made us pay. As others have noted we were essentially outplayed and it took some flukes to win that game… Ginn was very close to being brought down for zero return, Eli’s first INT was a bad throw that took a lucky bounce for us, a running back fumbles without even being hit, we recover a special teams fumble… I’ll take the win like everyone else but this game did not inspire confidence.

46. By Kevin S Mesa on Sep 15, 2014 | Reply

JTDG — “Innocent until proven guilty,” while a cliche, is also the bedrock of our legal system. Of course the NFL has no obligation to honor the same principle, but if the player denies doing whatever he’s accused of (even if he’s been arrested or charged), what, really, is the NFL supposed to do? In the face of the Ray Rice video the answer was obvious, but it’s much less obvious what should be done in the case of AP. Now there’s a report of a possible second incident but who knows what the facts really were in either case.

47. By ryan on Sep 16, 2014 | Reply

JTDG- If Dwash is found guilty of domestic abuse then not only should he not wear cardinal red again, he shouldnt be allowed to play football in any league. IMHO- if you are found guilty of domestic abuse, do a little time in jail, and then go back to playing football and making hundreds of thousands, thats like saying- hey, its ok to beat your wife, girlfriend, kids at least once but not after that.

Some of these players come from a background that most of us wouldnt be able fathom. Then they get to college and become stars, then to the NFL making more money in one game or season than most of us will make in a lifetime. And yes, they are all young men in their early to mid 20’s. But there is a difference between right and wrong. You dont have to grow up in the “perfect” home to know that you dont do drugs, dont carry a gun to a bar, dont beat your kids, dont get hammered and drive a vehicle, and DONT BEAT A WOMAN!

These are some of the strongest athletes on the planet. I SAY START MAKING EXAMPLES OF THEM! Do not let them have the privilege of playing underneath NFL badge. And if these COWARDS have “guaranteed money” when let go, it should go to some type of domestic abuse charity. THERE’S NO EXCUSE FOR DOMESTIC ABUSE

48. By McGonigal's Chronicles on Sep 16, 2014 | Reply

What is the latest on Dave Zastudil? I hope he returns soon. Drew Butler is a good punter but just seems like he takes to long to kick the ball as evidenced by two blocked kicks in two weeks.

49. By Darren Urban on Sep 16, 2014 | Reply

McGonigal’s —

RE: Butler

Zastudil is getting better. But it is important to note neither block was the punter’s fault. Both were directly the result of bad blocking, one by Bucannon, one by Hughes.

50. By Dr. G. on Sep 16, 2014 | Reply

Kevin S Mesa – -You reiterated some of what I posted earlier…Agreed until you compare Rice and AP. You say with Rice, it is obvious….probably because we all saw the video. Are you aware that AP admitted to striking his kid, but didn’t mean to hurt him, AND that pictures of the child’s switch marks showing broken skin and some blood were on TV as well? Yesterday, AP said he had not intended to hurt his child, and is sorry. For me, that shines as an admission of what some in the South say is commonplace for raising their kids. The kid is not permanently injured, but the PC Police and CPS Reps are all over this… Should they play him? I think their 1st decision was good damage control…now they look like the Keystone Cops taking a mulligan.. Bottom line…embarrassment for the NFL community….

In this new instant information age, things in times gone by that were unknown are front page news now. Not much has changed save for media access. Be well….

51. By Dr. G. on Sep 16, 2014 | Reply

Ya know….wouldn’t it be nice to discuss ONLY the subjects of draft picks, play schemes, football stadiums, weather conditions, stats, standings, player salaries, …etc…? instead of the stuff of social and news media like: personal activities, who’s doin’ whom, weed and other drugs, player’s personal trips and travels, the cars they drive, the mansions, tiffs with the law, visual images, dreds, tats, logo shoes and clothes, the posse, player TV ads, endorsements…etc…etc…

ALL the stuff that affects the price to observe, be a fan, and demand limitless information to the extent of what brand of toilet tissue the idols use. I have never understood how fans ((fanatics: those who support without reason)) will believe that simply being a pro athlete or a high school drop-out Hollywood type can make some people believe they have legitimate insightful opinions and believe most of what they say. Preposterous!

They want the $$dough$$…the paying public wants the inside scoop…the price of fame and commercial fortune…. Let’s get back to THE GAME! Too late for that now… It’s all blended….one man’s opinion…

52. By Dr. G. on Sep 16, 2014 | Reply

JTDG – – One quick thing… I commend you for basically sticking to the processes of the game, and not all the fanatical social stuff…you’re a sterling example of what a true consistent fan should be…a bit clinical for some, but good….later…

53. By krehbieo14 on Sep 16, 2014 | Reply

Kevin-

There is no video of AP beating his child, but the pictures speak for themselves. When will we stop minimizing abuse when it occurs in our society, particularly among our children. I have zero tolerance for this despicable behavior and the NFL better step up or their credibility will be tarnished if there is any left. Please watch Chris Carter’s pregame expressions about protecting our kids.

54. By Kevin S Mesa on Sep 16, 2014 | Reply

Dr G — I stand by my statement that it’s much less obvious what to do about AP. I mean in terms of the ultimate punishment, whatever that may be. I think it was the right decision for him not to play against the Patriots. I’m aware of the fact that he has basically admitted to hitting his kid. But since we don’t have video like in the Rice situation, are you prepared to make a determination, right now, that he should be suspended? If so, for how long? Like you say, the cops and CPS are all over this… shouldn’t we let the professionals do their thing and then decide on what to do when that process has run its course?

55. By Kevin S Mesa on Sep 16, 2014 | Reply

I guess what I’m ultimately getting at is that the NFL runs the risk of too light a punishment (e.g., Ray Rice — two games) or too heavy if they act before all info is available. (And here I’m making the assumption that Goodell et al. didn’t know about the video; if they did and he was still only suspended 2 games, that’s incompetence.)

56. By Dr. G. on Sep 16, 2014 | Reply

Kevin S Mesa – – I cannot disagree with much of what you say. But, in addition to the legal aspects you mention, please also consider the conduct clauses that are there to protect the desired positive image of the NFL and its sponsors. No law has to be broken to make a team look really bad.

I keep reading between the lines from others that the LAW should probably dictate how the GM’s or the NFL should act or react. The LAW cannot tell the NFL how to proceed with their legitimate contract conduct clauses. (((But, if convicted of a crime, the NFL should then follow with sanctions))) Two separate entities…

Are any of these latest actions by these players good for the image of our game?
    And, should the teams and the NFL turn a blind eye instead of protecting their respect for the game…. Those are the questions to ask ones self? Be well…

57. By krehbieo14 on Sep 16, 2014 | Reply

Kevin S. Mesa-

The professionals have already rendered their assessment. As I understand it, both a doctor and CPS took pictures of AP’s 4 year old child with cuts and bruises. He admitted that he did it. It also appears that there is a pattern of AP striking his kids. To me, the issue of harming a vulnerable young child through obvious abuse is more alarming than assaulting an adult. The Vikings and the NFL are digging a hole for themselves by minimizing this issue. The clear message is, money is more important than protecting the public. Let’s hold people accountable for obvious abuse toward adults and children.

58. By Dr. G. on Sep 16, 2014 | Reply

Kevin – – I forgot one thing you brought up again.. Video? I mentioned that there are PICTURES depicting the injuries to the child. Perhaps you did not realize that… A picture has always been worth a thousand video words…. I saw them.

Check this link and let me know what you think.

I do not convict AP…I am simply defending the conduct clauses.

None of us have the right answers for the legit questions you have as to term and length of time out; that needs to be determined by some formula that should be developed by the NFLPA and the NFL. You are correct in that it is obvious the NFL did not have the foresight to see all this coming in this information age…later..

59. By Dr. G. on Sep 16, 2014 | Reply

Fans – Please check out the link in my last post… AP inflicted injuries pictured. This will help better define this conversation.

The NFLPA and NFL are in a pow wow this week “to try to” determine what the severity of penalties should be for various objectionable behavior. This should remove the Commish from being placed in the disquieting position to make these determinations. Perhaps an appointed independent voice will surface from this meeting to make these decisions…a good thing perhaps… be well…

60. By Dr. G. on Sep 16, 2014 | Reply

I hope this to be my last on the AP thing….. After giving this some serious analysis for a few days now, I have the conviction that AP should be prosecuted in a court of law for aggravated assault on a defenseless child.

If he assaulted and committed these injuries to an adult, he would be in jail in Texas. But the child can’t call 911 on his dad. A 217 pound iron-man vs a 4-year-old is absurd to conceive. There are other effective discipline methods. If he was on my team, I would ask him to find another job after embarrassing the organization.

Again, please review these pix and give this some thought before you form an opinion. When the details are clear to the public, AP will have some serious problems. I can see an indictment coming….later fans…

61. By Eazy E on Sep 19, 2014 | Reply

Praying that John Abraham made the right decision because taking care of himself and his family is way more important than football even though we need him badly!