Abraham didn’t pass concussion test Tuesday

Posted by Darren Urban on September 16, 2014 – 6:10 pm

On his weekly segment on Sirius XM NFL radio, coach Bruce Arians said linebacker John Abraham did not pass his concussion protocol test Tuesday. Until he does, of course, he cannot play. Arians said he will try again Wednesday, but there is a real possibility Abraham will not be back until after the bye. That’s assuming that he will at some point pass the test at all. Regardless, Abraham will go back on to the 53-man roster — you only get a roster exemption for so long — and the Cardinals will continue to mix-and-match the linebackers to make it work. Arians said he has no doubt that Abraham wants to play, if he gets back on the field.

“He’s excited (to play),” Arians said. “When you get that first concussion, and he  had a big one, it shakes you up sometimes. I think the rest and sitting back this weekend at home, he missed it a lot. He’s more than ready to roll for down the stretch.”

Arians also reiterated that the Cardinals are in a day to day situation with quarterback Carson Palmer, and there is no way to know when he’ll return. Arians said Palmer can cock his arm to throw, but then it just won’t come forward. Palmer is getting constant treatment, Arians said, and the hope is still he can play this week. “Could be a day, could be a month,” Arians said.

Tags: , ,

29 Responses to “Abraham didn’t pass concussion test Tuesday”

1. By cardinal on Sep 16, 2014 | Reply

Darren what play did Carson get hurt on ?

2. By Darren Urban on Sep 16, 2014 | Reply

cardinal —

RE: Carson injury

No one has said and I don’t know if anyone knows for sure.

3. By Steve on Sep 16, 2014 | Reply

Darren: Was the signing of Victor Butler due in part to the Cards concern for Abraham not being available possibly until after the bye? Once Abraham comes back do you see Butler getting cut?

4. By Darren Urban on Sep 16, 2014 | Reply

Steve —

RE: Butler

No because they are both on the 53-man roster. I don’t know if Butler lasts long-term, but it won’t be because of Abraham.

5. By Austen on Sep 16, 2014 | Reply

So what happens to Benard?

6. By Darren Urban on Sep 16, 2014 | Reply

Austen —

RE: Benard

He was cut.

7. By John The Draft Guy on Sep 16, 2014 | Reply

Injury;

On the pre game, they said it was when he lowered his shoulder on a run in the chargers game, trying to get a first down.

Dont know if that is true but he did take a hard hit on the right shoulder on that play.

8. By Darren Urban on Sep 16, 2014 | Reply

JTDG —

RE: Palmer play

Yes, I said something similar when I was on the pre-game show. But no one has said for sure.

9. By j on Sep 16, 2014 | Reply

i bet it was that tackle in the Chargers game, dumb play, should of slide. A Vet should know better.

10. By rjrjn on Sep 16, 2014 | Reply

Before the giants game, commentators on Fox said its the 2nd qtr rush @ 8:09 on a 3rd down tackled by Eric Weedle.

11. By JJ on Sep 16, 2014 | Reply

any news on daryl washington? with the new drug policy?

12. By Darren Urban on Sep 16, 2014 | Reply

JJ —

RE: Washington

I do not expect any news.

13. By br in nc on Sep 16, 2014 | Reply

I’am confused as hell with this new drug rule/policy (I basically live in a state of confusion, but this one has me perplexed! LOL!) How can this new policy shorten all these suspensions, and they had a list of quite a few players, seemed like every player would benefit because of the new policy except for Dwash! Even Mr Mary Jane himself (Gordon from the Browns) seems to be getting 6 games cut off his suspension. But no mention at all of Dwash! NFL should at least come out and say “no change” in Dwash’s year long suspension, and of course back it up with an explanation as to why! This is a real head scratcher.

14. By Bay Area Bad Boy on Sep 16, 2014 | Reply

Well I’m hoping the best for both players. If they can play, great. If not, Then its next man up. Would love a big win this coming Sunday. Niner fans are in a panic here, but the team is still very cocky. Time for us to step up. In order the be the best, we have to beat the best.

15. By bigredcards on Sep 16, 2014 | Reply

Can we please stop asking questions about Daryl Washington if Darren has any information he will let us know as soon as he gets it

16. By T. Stone on Sep 16, 2014 | Reply

JJ

RE: The Player we do not speak of

Shhhhhhhhh. One must not speak of him, to do so might bring attention to the fact that he BROKE HIS EX GIRLFRIEND/BABY MAMMA’S collarbone. SHHHHHHH. now stop speaking of him and let him sleep in his hippy lettuce induced coma. Night Night.

17. By Eazy E on Sep 17, 2014 | Reply

Carson got injured when he was trying to run over that DB I forgot his name. I’ve been praying for John Abraham aka 2 Bible Names as I affectionately call him and I really hope he’s ok to play because memory loss sucks I bet. We need that jolt in our pass rush after losing Dockett for the season, Daryl to suspension(BTW, what about his year-long suspension since Josh’ will get reduced), and Dansby! That’s 20 sacks GONE!!!!

18. By br in nc on Sep 17, 2014 | Reply

****VIKINGS CHANGE THEIR MINDS AGAIN****
    AP has been placed on the commissioner. Exempt. List which bars him from any and all team activities. Perfect example of how money talks! Sponsers started raising holy hell, as well as Minnesota governor, who was a key figure in getting the new stadium deal done! They couldn’t stick to it when it was the moral and correct thing to do (but not just for one game) but when the sponsors and key figures that pushed through the stadium deal speak up, looks like Vikings. Listen. Probably also doing this now so when everything plays out in court they are hoping the Commissioner will consider the amount of games he missed by being on the exempt list (like credit for time served) I still think Goodall waits until the courts do their thing, then he brings the hammer down!!

19. By Dynosoar on Sep 17, 2014 | Reply

br in nc,

I’ve been wondering, if D-Wash’s suspension is reduced, then we have an even bigger advantage in getting home field advantage next February. As much as I want to believe, I don’t think the powers that be will allow it. They don’t want blow out games ever again, haven’t for decades and were not happy with Seattle fulfilling there destiny last year.

As to this season though, well I do believe it’s our destiny. (Luke, it’s your destiny.)

I still don’t see Washington getting a reduction. I agree with bigredcards, if there’s a change Darren will let us know within the time it takes him to tweet and write and post a blog. It will probably take him longer to find the perfect picture than do the write up.

20. By Dynosoar on Sep 17, 2014 | Reply

Ups and downs (I know, probably more ups than downs for some), I’m glad we had Levi Brown and his problems than AP and his.

It’s possible if AP had been surrounded by the likes of Warner, Fitzgerald and a host of others he wouldn’t have done this most brutal deed, but given his comments I’ve been told he’s made on how he was raised there’s no guarantee. (I understand this is all alleged since he’s not been convicted.)

I’m still happier we had Levi than AP. As to Washington, we have at least two players on our current 53 who have put themselves through rehab, if he wants help he has access. He’ll have to do it on his own, but they’d support.

Whether he comes back this season or not it does not matter… Next Man Up! We will win.

21. By wells72013 on Sep 17, 2014 | Reply

Any word on how this new drug policy affects Washington?

22. By Darren Urban on Sep 17, 2014 | Reply

Wells72013 —

RE: Dwash

23. By John The Draft Guy on Sep 17, 2014 | Reply

Dynosoar,

Let me state for the record that I do not think in any way ,shape, or form what AP did is OK. A good parent has patience and does discipline to achieve a certain goal. Lashing out and hitting children only teaches them that when frustrated, hit. Although I do not think you are a bad parent for spanking,( My parents spanked me, ) I did not result to those actions and felt there were better ways.

But coaching in East Texas, what AP did was common place. In fact, the head football coach use to call kids into his office for messing around in class and give them the paddle. BTW, I watched Jamaal Charles get some swats. A switch was also common and most parents had their child go pick out the switch. Right or wrong, it was how generations grew up in that area.

AP can’t believe any one thinks he is a child abuser. I’m sure he got whippings and most of the kids he knew got whippings. I’m sure he feels without them, he wouldn’t have been a successful player in the NFL.

So, is AP an abuser or a product of his upbringing? No easy answers.

Look at Dynosoar. He is glad we didn’t take AP, but in the next sentence, he wants DWash back, who broke his baby moma’s collar bone. This board is all over the place.

Sponsors jump ship and it changes the teams’ perspective. Ron Rivera of the Panthers said he didn’t know what to do about Greg Hardy. Each case is different. Each situation has totally two different stories. Look at Missouri. Wow, are those two stories completely different. Now take that and place it in domestic situations. The truth is easily lost.

There is no place in society for abusing children and women. That I know.
    Abusers need to be punished. I believe that.
    The rest isn’t so black and white.

24. By jeffgollin on Sep 17, 2014 | Reply

Darren – How does BA’s comment that “this is Abraham’s first major concussion” square with reports that Abraham has experienced severe memory loss of late?

25. By Darren Urban on Sep 17, 2014 | Reply

jeffgollin —

RE: Abraham

Don’t know. Haven’t had a chance to talk to Abraham yet.

And we are assuming the memory loss, if he’s had it, is connected to concussions. Not saying it isn’t, but Abraham’s had other issues in his life as well.

26. By Mike Ellingboe on Sep 17, 2014 | Reply

JTDG,

Good post, but I don’t see any blurred lines with AP. When you swing at a child and blame him for where he gets hit, it’s no longer spanking or corporal punishment, it’s cut and dried abuse.

27. By j on Sep 17, 2014 | Reply

Wash is washed up, i dont see him coming back to football for atleast 2 seasons, then on top of that the cards will trade him when he is allowed back, some loosing team will take the risk and give up big rounds in the Draft(s) for him.

28. By Louisville Card on Sep 17, 2014 | Reply

First off let me say I’m glad Abraham is back, but if the reports of his memory loss are true? Should someone in his corner throw in the towel for him? He probably will only play this season and retire is his long term health worth 12 more games? It’s not a question I would expect you to answer, but I haven’t seen a post yet asking should he really be coming back so I thought I would ask the question…

29. By The Gman on Sep 17, 2014 | Reply

Hi Darren.

Do you think Adub would be a good edge rusher lke JA or at least a nickel LB? Is he big enough? He looks strong enough. It would be great to have him back!