Butler for Butler, and Abraham room

Posted by Darren Urban on September 16, 2014 – 3:22 pm

The Cardinals made a couple of roster moves Tuesday, adjusting the lineup for injury and other reasons. The Cardinals released linebacker Marcus Benard and also cut punter Drew Butler. Butler’s release means Dave Zastudil should be healthy enough to punt this week against the 49ers. The Cardinals also signed outside linebacker Victor Butler, a 2009 fourth-round pick of the Dallas Cowboys.

Victor Butler has 11 sacks in his career. He was with the Saints in 2013 but tore his ACL in a training camp practice. His addition could aid the pass rush — the Cardinals are going to continue to throw possibilities at the pass rush to see if something clicks — and of course, makes sure the Cardinals still have a Butler on the roster.

Another thing that can help the pass rush is the return of John Abraham, and with Tuesday’s 2-for-1 swap, the Cardinals still have an open roster spot for when Abraham is officially reinstated to the team.

Nick Foles (9), Victor Butler (57)

Tags: , , ,

30 Responses to “Butler for Butler, and Abraham room”

1. By Nick Pepe on Sep 16, 2014 | Reply

Darren

This indicates that Abraham is assuredly coming back. Safe to assume?

And pretty or not, that win Sunday showed a lot of character. A lot of variables going against them.

It’s Niners week. Giggity.

Nick Pepe
    Lifetime Member

2. By barry on Sep 16, 2014 | Reply

Thank goodness! We need Zastidil back and Abraham!

3. By krehbieo14 on Sep 16, 2014 | Reply

New Orleans had high hopes for Butler in Rob Ryan’s scheme. Has had trouble staying heathy. I hope he returns to the pass rushing beast he was with the Cowboys! Let’s hope for the best. Great pick up if he can maintain health.

4. By Kevin S Mesa on Sep 16, 2014 | Reply

Two blocked punts in three games… I don’t know if that was Butler’s fault but on at least one of them I seem to remember him taking forever to get rid of the ball. So I’m glad he’s gone.

5. By br in nc on Sep 16, 2014 | Reply

for some reason i want to say he was not at fault for either block, I know BAcommented on 1 for sure that wasn’t punters fault, and I could’ve swore BA/SK/Coaching staff exonerated Butler on both, but I didn’t get to see either block, so I wont form an opinion.

6. By joe holst on Sep 16, 2014 | Reply

Abraham doesn’t seem overly excited about returning.

7. By Darren Urban on Sep 16, 2014 | Reply

Joe —

RE: Abraham

How do you know that?

8. By T. Stone on Sep 16, 2014 | Reply

We got to have a Butler. Who else to care for all of our things? Who would make the Campbell soup, dust our books by F Scott Fitzgerald and the real important doc by Jefferson? Who to clean the carpets of Brown staines left by the Foote of Demens who dont wipe their feet? Who is going to ask the Leach that wont leave the house to go back to Carson Nevada where he came from? And we need a Frostee beverage on hot days dont we? You get the point. I hope our new Butler helps us stay undefeated like Floyd Maywether. I am liking how Keim Drew this up. Hail to the Powers in charge.

9. By Darren Urban on Sep 16, 2014 | Reply

T. Stone —

RE: Butler

10. By br in nc on Sep 16, 2014 | Reply

C’mon guys!! How do you give a “thumbs down” on t-stone’s poetry?
    That took some thought, and laughter is always good for everyone (even you georgiebird, and your sidekick Louis)!
    T-stone and I haven’t always agreed on here, there have been times when our opinions have “differed” yea we will call it that, and move on.
    WOW! I just can’t believe there are actually 4 sourpusses out there in Cards nation who didn’t even get at least a chuckle out of it! For what its worth t-stone (which I’m sure its not much at all) I clicked a “thumbs up” on it (and I very very seldom bother with clicking either way on the thumbs) I would much rather put my agreement or disagreement in a posting with my name on it, than to use a nameless, and in my humble opinion, a cowardly, anonymous. “thumbs down click”!
    And yes t-stone, I threw in the “WOW” above just for you, hoping you would at the very least get a small chuckle out of it! 🙂
    In all seriousness, I thought your post was classic!!

11. By D on Sep 16, 2014 | Reply

Going to be a revolving door for LB’s all year. Abraham, Acho, Okafor, Butler, Keiser, Carsen, Alexander, Demens, Minter, Foote….going to be interesting this offseason for Keim, besides a future QB – the LB spot will need some tweaking.

A few of these players will retire, some will be UFA and their play will dictate a return and plus the fact it could be doubtful DWash will wear a Card jersey again…I am thinking Keim will need to add at least one MLB for coverage and at least one OLB/ Pass Rusher this offseason either draft or free agency..

12. By br in nc on Sep 16, 2014 | Reply

D,
    Good observations (except for one) I wouldn’t be surprised if the Cards go pass rusher #1 & #2 in next years draft, especially if a highly rated prospect who just happened to be a pass rusher started falling to the end of round#2 (this is assuming we will be picking dead last in each round of course!!).
    We don’t need to waste a pick on a QB next year, we have our QB of the future in place, should be set at QB for the next 10-12 years!! (I believe if CP’s shoulder doesn’t turn out to be anything major, and he performs like he did in the second half of last season, you will see SK try and lock him up for at least 1 more year, and quite possibly 2 years. Can’t see them going anymore than 2 years though.) And yes, I’am talking about Logan Thomas, he is the Cardinals QB of the future! Dude was top 10 on every “experts” draft board, and I saw a couple that had him at #4. And before you tear into me, yes I know the so called experts have been wrong before, but BA saw something that impressed him enough to draft him, and he had to snag him in round #4 because his stock was soaring due to his success of other private workouts, conducted by other teams, he would not have been on the board by the time we went on the clock in round #5. Bottom line, only time will tell how Logan Thomas turns out, but they do have to give him a year or two so they can develop him and coach him up. (I’m right on this one, he is the man, with the plan, to lead us to the promise land!! LOL!! Sorry, had to throw that one in there on you. I have to back my man though! 🙂

13. By Andy Kw on Sep 16, 2014 | Reply

Drew Butler, thanks for being our substitute. Good luck to the rest of your career. Marcus Benard, I have been a fan of your since you arrived in Arizona. I’m sad to hear that you were cut but hopefully another teams picks you up and uses you to your full potential.
    -Victor Butler could be a great pickup and hopefully John Abraham gets back into football form.

14. By br in nc on Sep 16, 2014 | Reply

SK & BA are true to their word, can’t dispute that! Those bottom 5 spots are churning what seems like every other day! Starting to feel sorry for Marcus Bernard, how many time have we cut this poor Guy??
    I have got to believe if they keep rotating players from that bottom 5, eventually one of the players they sign will pay off in a big way! Will he be the “motherload “, no, probably not, but if just 1 becomes a key contributor (say double digit sacks, some QB hurry’s, throw in double digit TFL’s, 1 or 2 fumbles caused, and some big special teams plays, I would say we had found ourselves a true gem!! Hey, a Guy can dream can’t he?

Victor Butler played DE for the other Oregon team not named the Ducks. He had quite a few sacks his last two years, was named ALL PAC10. Drafted by Cowgirls, converted to OLB, limited playing time, played behind some Guy named Ware, Demarcus Ware that is! LOL!
    He impressed coach Ryan enough that coach convinced the Saints to sign him to a multiple year deal, unfortunately he tore his ACL before ever playing a down for the Saints!
    IMHO, he will need time to work his way back into football shape, he hasn’t played since 2012.

15. By Duane Spencer on Sep 16, 2014 | Reply

Don’t know much about the “new” Butler, but hope for the best. Mr. Bernard must feel as if he’s on a yo-yo string… Always liked him as a player, and the willingness to be released-resigned-released without a negative comment shows him to be a pretty classy character. Besides, when with the Packers he wore number 55 which has always been my favorite numbered jersey! (grew up watching #55 Matt Hazeltine of the Niners back in the early early 60s watching him play MLB settled my mind on what I wanted to be if I ever grew up) (still waiting on the growing up thing)

16. By Scott H on Sep 16, 2014 | Reply

OK, nice to see this guy is already familiar with Nick Foles. Good. They can be re-united in a few weeks. And I hope Butler extends that same kind of greeting to Foles when the Eagles come to town.

GREAT to hear that Zastudil will be returning to the line-up this week. Nice to see someone coming BACK TO the team with all the losses we had. Just as it was great to see the Honey Badger out there on Sunday! Perhaps Abraham will be next??? But I really do wonder where his head and his heart are at this point. I wonder about a player who has played at the level he has for as long as he has coming out and saying his heart isn’t in the game anymore. I don’t know how you get to that point but then turn around and say you want to turn it back on again….

17. By joe holst on Sep 16, 2014 | Reply

I have looked for a quote from Abraham and have not see any anywhere in regards to him saying he was excited or anxious to return. I know the Cards are as well as Arians and Steve Keim . I hope he comes back at has a sack in every game but I also hope he doesn’t quit on them.

18. By Darren Urban on Sep 16, 2014 | Reply

Joe holst —

RE: Abraham

You haven’t seen any quotes from Abraham period. He hasn’t spoken publicly. There’s no way to know what he’s thinking.

19. By georgiebird on Sep 16, 2014 | Reply

A point on the Giants game:
    Historically, the Cardinals’ have had a hard time winning in New York/ Jersey/Connecticut.
    Back in the mid 70’s, the Cardinals won 10 games or more three years in a row- and that was in a 14 game season!
    But, in those years against the woeful Giants, the Cards won the three away games (played in the Connecticut Yale Bowl) by a total of only 12 points- thanks to the toe of Jim Bakken.
    So for me, any away victory against the Giants is a well earned win.

20. By georgiebird on Sep 16, 2014 | Reply

Thought that Kareem Martin would have made more of an impression as a pass rusher. His strong suit coming out of North Carolina was getting into the opposing team’s backfield. Kareem was a 3rd rounder-only the 84th player taken.

21. By krehbieo14 on Sep 16, 2014 | Reply

All I know is supposedly Abraham failed the concussion protocol today. That’s not a good sign in light all that’s transpired. I wish him the best.

22. By CreditCard on Sep 16, 2014 | Reply

Do you know if Abraham is a good mentor for younger players trying to become an elite pass rusher.

Through my daughter I know the Mercilus family. Whitney Mercilus plays for the Texans. Putting on my GM hat, if the Cards ever had the chance to obtain Whitney Mercilus — they should. Intelligent, well spoken, family man, good citizen, and from my limited knowledge of NFL players, he looks very good.

23. By Darren Urban on Sep 16, 2014 | Reply

Credit —

RE: Abraham

Every player I have talked to says Abraham is good with younger players and in the locker room.

24. By br in nc on Sep 16, 2014 | Reply

Credit Card
    You forgot the most important fact!!!
    He played his college ball at ILLINOIS, he is a FIGHTING ILLINI, (not to mention he absolutely destroyed college QB’s his final season at ILLINOIS (he left early for the NFL) he ended up with 15 or 16 sacks (I know he led the nation that year) and what was maybe more impressive was he forced like 9 fumbles! He won just about every major award for Defensive Ends (he was a DE in college, Houston converted him to OLB, standard move that happens 9out of 10times, of course) he was also 1st team B10, and 1st team All American, all 3 were UNANIMOUS selections (B10 media team and coaches team were both unanimous selections)and he was voted DEFENSEIVE PLAYER OF THE YEAR by some smaller organization. Taken in the first round by Houston, if I remember right, and not going senile, the Texans were so impressed with him that they let #1 overall pick Mario Williams leave in free agency to the Bills. (Of course that is a Tad of ILLINI bias as well…it could have been that the Bills offered M. Williams some insane amount of money, the most ever for a DE at the time!! LOL!)
    Anyway, it is quite obvious I’m a loyal, lifelong, devoted ILLINOIS fan!! And of course, same as above CARDINALS fan!!

And at times (like all the time) LONG WINDED!! 🙂

25. By T. Stone on Sep 16, 2014 | Reply

Abraham

Announcement just a ruse to try and get the 49rs to scheme for him. He wont play, He will retire next week. And then for final as a Falcon next year. Thanks for the time John. You kids are a bunch of suckers. I hope the Niners are also.

26. By Dobie on Sep 16, 2014 | Reply

For me better for him to retire then to lose his mine concussion are not a good thing in the NFL now I feel sorry for the old timers that played on and on cause doctors didn’t say anything Abraham good luck what ever you decide to do

27. By Chuck 1 on Sep 16, 2014 | Reply

Kevin S,

Glad that someone else noticed, as I did, the lack of urgency of Butler in punting on the block (as I posted in Darren’s “Aftermath” blog).

28. By Eazy E on Sep 17, 2014 | Reply

I live in Dallas and Victor Butler showed flashes of talent with the boys but he has to stay healthy and produce consistently. He has talent though.

29. By krehbieo14 on Sep 17, 2014 | Reply

On both punts, one of the blockers got pushed back into Butler. Robert Hughes was the culprit on one of them. Special teams play has been shaky at best.

30. By T. Stone on Sep 17, 2014 | Reply

BR in NC

RE: WOW

I knew it, and I did laugh. 🙂 Thanks. In the end we are all just long suffering Cardinal fans with different opinions.