Cardinals go black for Niners game

Posted by Darren Urban on September 16, 2014 – 12:05 pm

The Cardinals will be wearing their black alternate uniforms Sunday against the 49ers. I’m not sure how many times they are going to use them — the rule was that the alternate unis couldn’t be used once games started being flexed, and the flex schedule starts early this season, as soon as the Cardinals come off their bye. It will be interesting to see the color scheme at University of Phoenix Stadium. The 49ers, who had a ton of fans in Dallas for the regular-season opener, are trying hard to do the same in Arizona this coming weekend. Cardinals fans will be under the microscope to make sure the game has a home-field advantage for the actual home team.

(Although it’s funny — by all accounts, new Levi’s Stadium where the 49ers now play, was not very loud in Sunday night’s 49ers-Bears game and the twitterverse seems to believe it never really will be given the cost of tickets and the demographic of who is going to games — fewer die-hards and more there just for the event.)

BlackBloguse

Tags: ,

34 Responses to “Cardinals go black for Niners game”

1. By Scott H on Sep 16, 2014 | Reply

Black, red, white, whatever. Hardly matters what uniforms we’re wearing. To borrow a phrase from a team that hasn’t won anything in a REAL long time – JUST WIN, BABY. That makes ANY color look good.

This game is HUGE. I’m not believing the Seahawks are suddenly mortal because they lost one game. BUT if the Cards win on Sunday, everyone in the division stays behind them, no matter what. And the 49ers will be far enough behind them that it will be time for THEM to panic.

And, yeah, I noticed immediately how loud it was in Dallas in favor of the 49ers for that game. I don’t think that’s gonna happen at UoP. I think the people at those Cowboys games don’t really care these days. With that coach and that QB, I think those fans know that team isn’t going anywhere. So…why not get excited when a glamour team – and a damn good one, too – comes to town?

2. By 'ZonaFan on Sep 16, 2014 | Reply

We need to pack UoP with CARDINALS fans this Sunday!! Please do not give your tickets away people!! Protect the nest!!! Go Cards!!!!

3. By jwoodaz on Sep 16, 2014 | Reply

Let’s help inspire this team to embrace the opportunity they have this game..

4. By jwoodaz on Sep 16, 2014 | Reply

Personally I’m looking forward to a few names getting called this game that the rest of the world may go who?, but we all smile and feel even better about the depth and talent on this team.. Woot, so stoked for this Game!!!

5. By dan on Sep 16, 2014 | Reply

Just a note — Walter Powell has made the Jets active roster.

6. By br in nc on Sep 17, 2014 | Reply

I posted when he got claimed that all he needs is a chance, jets pretty weak at WR. I will stand by my prediction, he will produce enough to be jets #3 wideout.
    I’m just glad he got claimed, though I was selfishly hoping he would clear waivers so we could have put him on our practice squad! I’m happy for him, he earned this!

7. By ryan on Sep 16, 2014 | Reply

C’mon redbirds in black jerseys (i think they are awesome!) Lets rip up the whiners and stroll into the bye week at 3-0. This is only the 5th time to start 2-0 since moving to the valley so lets improve on it. My neighbor is a 9er fan so i would love to see a pitch out!!

GO CARDINALS! 2-0 BABY
    I STILL HAVE THAT FEELING!!

8. By br in nc on Sep 17, 2014 | Reply

That has to suck, a neighbor who is a miner fan, I feel your pain, in my little cul de sac, I have 3 Steelers fans!! Superbowl night was awesome (except for the final score of course!) We were hollering jabs back and forth all night, screaming at the top of our lungs, I will never forget it!!

9. By Lance on Sep 16, 2014 | Reply

well, now, they can never go back…should be a good game

10. By Chuck 1 on Sep 16, 2014 | Reply

Continuing the PP discussion for the last thread:

As long ago as two years ago when Crabtree burned PP, I commented that PP was not as good as he and some fans said.
    As some other posters have commented in the last thread, I’m not alone and my comments have been validated. Fugettabout the rules that favor the receivers.
    He was overpaid and needs to shut his yap and prove on the field that he is as good as he claims.
    The test of our opinions will occur this Sunday.

11. By card fan on Sep 16, 2014 | Reply

give them the bird finger!!!..after the game of course..send them packing!!!

12. By cardsalltheway on Sep 16, 2014 | Reply

The top of the NFL website today has report cards for week 2 and of course the Arizona Cardinals weren’t there(22 teams were) so I went a searching…Two guys grade us but they go by what Elliot Harrison gives us…Marc Istook gave us a better grade.

13. By Dynosoar on Sep 16, 2014 | Reply

Black jerseys with red pants. We need the red, we’re the Cardinals!

That is interesting about the beginning of the flex schedule being so early in the season. Since the “best” games get flexed, we should get used to playing night games every Sunday after this one.

We’ll be very prepared for that last night game next February. Haha!

San Francisco, we welcome you with open arms. Open arms to pad some stats for your QB Kaep, like Larry Foote padded Manning’s stats last Sunday. Haha.

14. By cardsalltheway on Sep 16, 2014 | Reply

Dan,
    Did you see Greg Toler’s(Colts) defensive play at the end of the 1st half on Monday night? It was awesome! It just takes a while for players to fully recover from major knee surgery. I won’t expect to see Honey Badger do this until later this season or next.

15. By azqfan on Sep 16, 2014 | Reply

Darren, I noticed #85 Fells, TE, caught a TD pass against us Sunday. Is that the same Fells we had(or have I never saw us cut him), or any relation? Weird if not, same name, same number, same position…

16. By Darren Urban on Sep 16, 2014 | Reply

azq —

RE: Fells

That was Daniel Fells, brother of Cards TE Darren.

17. By Dr. G. on Sep 16, 2014 | Reply

Ticket holders- Don’t let a little greed tempt you to scalp your seats. There was too much of that for the Chargers. I believe in free enterprise, but I also believe in causing Kaepernick & Co. some hearing problems! Go CARDS!

18. By cardsalltheway on Sep 16, 2014 | Reply

“new Levi’s Stadium where the 49ers now play, was not very loud in Sunday night’s 49ers-Bears game”

They must’ve gotten so depressed when the NFL’s ace commissioner failed to appear(hid behind the “Shield”?) in celebration of the Levis Stadium opener. I’m sure he would’ve received a standing ovation like Clark, Rice, and Montana etc… had he appeared on the 50 yard line before the game. Yep, someone is missing!

And what do you expect, they had Snoop Dogg(recent Psy video collaborator) perform at halftime.

“by all accounts”
    Which accounts were those?
    I hope you weren’t going by this horribly put together video…

With the score 0 – 0 you can maybe determine how loud it was after the 9ers blocked a Bears punt.

Hopefully noise doesn’t get trapped in Levis stadium or perhaps well-to-do fans are more mellow(the medicinal stuff) in San Francisco and don’t drink as much alcohol as Cardinal fans I fully expect it to be plenty noisy when the Cardinals play the 9ers in San Fran later this season.

Until then after week 3 the standing will look like this…
    Cardinals 3-0
    Rams 2-1
    9ers 1-2
    SeaChickens 1-2

19. By br in nc on Sep 17, 2014 | Reply

Niner fans “swill” wine don’t they? (I think “swill” is what the call the process of drinking wine, but not sure, was never that sophisticated! Ever try to “swill” Maddog 20/20!! That was as sophisticated, and upper class as I ever obtained (or ever wanted to obtain!
    I do not own a single solitary suit, the only ties I have are part of my Marine Corps uniform, which were mothballed until a few months ago!

20. By Richard S on Sep 16, 2014 | Reply

My system give points to teams and gives teams a 3 pt. home field advantage. I’ve got the Niner’s winning by 0.07 points after taking the home field advantage into consideration. A lot of the rankings I see by the professionals are based on old prejudices or based on New York has more fans therefore they have great teams and Green Bay beating the Jets makes them a top 10 team. Sorry, the system I use places the teams where they placed themselves by point differential vs. predicted pt. differential combined with their rank and teams that used to be strong are no more. Since I’m lazy, I’ll not break the numbers down to the hundreths place, but here are some numbers based on neutral field. Seattle 102, NE 100, Cincy 99, San Fran 99, Denver 98, Carolina 98, NO 96, Az 96, SD 95, Phil 95, Indy 92, Balt 91, Det 91, Dal 90, Pitt 90, Buff 90, Minn 90, KC 90, Rams 90, Atl 90, Chi 90, GBay 89, Mia 89, Tenn 87, Cle 86, Tampa 86, Giants 86, Jets 86, Hou 85, Wash 84, Oak 79, Jax 77. Wow I’ve got a lot of teams at 90 since I’m too lazy to type more numbers in. The numbers change every week based on predicted point margin vs. what happens. So the teams essentially put themselves where they belong, not a prejudiced guess. I’m a Cardinal fan and a few years back they were down around #26 and now they’ve climbed to #8. I hope Drew can keep them there, or move up a little more.

21. By br in nc on Sep 17, 2014 | Reply

The Saints are that high in your system, you do realize they are 0-2? As are the Colts, maybe I’m not reading your system right, but even if I’am, I would venture to say there seems to be a small flaw in this ranking system.

22. By Scott H on Sep 16, 2014 | Reply

Dynosaur –

A BIG thumbs down to the idea of black jerseys with RED pants. I hope we never see that! That would look too much like an arena league team. Yuck.

Ya know what, though….I have wondered why there is no red and silver team in the NFL yet, I think THAT combo would work very well. Lots of blue and silver and we have black and silver, so why not silver with a nice dark red / crimson?

23. By georgiebird on Sep 16, 2014 | Reply

Excellent point on the demographics of just who is shelling out the big bucks to attend games in all these new mega-stadiums- as you correctly stated “fewer diehards…”
    The poster child for “quiet places” is the new Yankee Stadium where even the very rich won’t pay the exorbitant prices to attend games. The home field advantage is getting diluted quite a bit. Some people are more interested in the shopping options that in cheering for the home team.

24. By CreditCard on Sep 16, 2014 | Reply

Richard S: Math, real research, and deep thinking are prohibited by knuckled headed fans.

I like the black unis with the red stripes. And white helmets with some type of bird on side of the helmet … that’s awesome.

25. By Redbird on Sep 17, 2014 | Reply

Black jerseys? How can it get any more dull than that? And what’s the connection with black and Cardinals anyways? We’re not the Blackbirds last I checked, Boggles the mind,

26. By Garth Short on Sep 17, 2014 | Reply

Darren, I’m a 77 year old die hard Cards fan (since 1947) and at any game I go to, while I root for the Cardinals, I’m not a screamer. I’m at the game to BE entertained (and to support the team with my Cardinal gear), not to be part of the entertainment.

27. By hminus on Sep 17, 2014 | Reply

I HATE THE BLACK UNI’S…are we crows or cardinals?… blackbirds or redbirds…[not as bad as Tampa’s new uni’s,but still pretty bad…]what if the blue jays came out in all black?…wouldnt make ANY sense…

28. By ryan on Sep 17, 2014 | Reply

I’m giving the thumbs down to black jerseys with red pants as well.
    Why not black pants with white srtipe and red outlining the white?
    I also like the all red uni’s which almost makes us unbeatable!

GO CARDS! 2-0
    DESTROY THE WHINERS!

29. By joe67 on Sep 17, 2014 | Reply

Everyone saying this is a BIG game for us, and it is.

Maybe a bigger game for the 9ers. They would be 1 and 2 and really starting to doubt themselves after their collapse last week

Just score early, score often. You won’t notice much noise from their fans!

30. By Redbird on Sep 17, 2014 | Reply

Imagine this. We could be wearing red (because we’re Cardinals after all) and playing at Cardinals Stadium. Instead we get to watch the ‘Darth Vaders’ play at UofP Stadium. These are the kind of things really make you scratch your head.

31. By Scott H on Sep 17, 2014 | Reply

Hey, never mind uniforms and colors of pants. While the Cardinals have a chance to open up a gap between them and Niners this Sunday, I notice that the Seahawks are playing the Broncos. While I wish that game could be in Denver ( Christ, who makes up these schedules, anyway???), you KNOW the Broncos and Peyton Manning want revenge for that SB embarrassment SOOOOOO friggin bad, they probably can’t even sleep. I give the Broncos a definite edge in this one and I think they pull off the up-set. NOW imagine the Cardinals at 3-0 while the Niners AND Seahawks are BOTH securely behind them at 1-2!

Could be a glorious day for Cardinals fans on Sunday!

32. By Scott H on Sep 17, 2014 | Reply

Ya know…I keep trying to just be psyched for football – the actual games – and ya can’t even do it because the next injury, the next suspension, the next player arrested is waiting right around the next corner to knock you right on your ass. Hard to image what could possibly be next BUT we probably won’t even make it to Sunday before we know what that is.

33. By Eazy E on Sep 18, 2014 | Reply

Black truly is beautiful isn’t it!?! I wish we could wear them as long as the other team wears white or a light color. That sucks…

2. Sep 19, 2014: Cardinals Blogs | Friday before the Niners