Friday before the Niners

Posted by Darren Urban on September 19, 2014 – 4:19 pm

What a week.

What a month, really, or six weeks, whatever the timeframe upon which you want to make the prism to look through. The Cardinals have encountered turbulence for sure, and it just doesn’t seem like that seat belt light is ever gonna go off so they can walk about the cabin. That bye week after this 49ers game looks so inviting, and maybe the football gods do know what’s what when that schedule comes out.

Bruce Arians thought back Friday to his 2010 season with the Steelers, when QB Ben Roethlisberger was suspended to start the season and Byron Leftwich broke his leg in preseason and third-stringer Dennis Dixon got hurt and Charlie Batch still got Pittsburgh off to a 3-1 start. The Steelers made the Super Bowl that year (although they lost to Green Bay.) The Cardinals can take that to heart.

The bumps aren’t over yet, either. “It’s only Week 3,” Arians said. “Something’s coming.”

Goodness, after Washington and Minter and Cooper and Dockett and Abraham and Palmer and Dwyer and now Abraham again, let’s hope not.

There just happens to be a pretty important football game Sunday.

— Drew Stanton gets the start (and no, I don’t think Carson Palmer will be healthy enough to be his backup.) It’s a big deal for Stanton. The Giants are, well, the Giants. The 49ers are a different beast, which Arians’ tone hinted toward Friday when he was asked if Stanton should be better this week. Stanton can’t turn the ball over, like he was able to do in New York.

— The fact tight end Vernon Davis, if he plays, will be gimpy at best is huge news for the Cardinals. Davis has done very well against this team. It’s a plus in the Cards’ corner if he’s not 100 percent.

— It’ll be interesting to see how the Cardinals cover the 49ers, and how much Patrick Peterson is on Michael Crabtree. Crabtree has had the upper hand thus far in the matchup, but I just have a gut feeling Peterson is going to have a good game.

— Peterson was not fined for his contact with an official in New York. Giants linebacker Jameel McClain was fined $8,268 for his hit on Stanton after the whistle had been blown for a Cardinals’ delay of game penalty.

— Many have complained about punter Drew Butler on his two blocked punts, even though Arians has reiterated they were on blockers Deone Bucannon and Robert Hughes. Now that Butler is back again with Dave Zastudil hurting, Arians said today Butler has a “real quick two-step release.” Again, noted it was the protection failures that went into the punt blocks.

— Logan Thomas did his best Colin Kaepernick impression this week for the scout team. “He’s not Kap, but he’s close with athletic ability and arm strength,” Arians said. The Cards hope so. Containing Kaepernick will go a long way in determining if the Cards can win.

— With Andre Ellington set to see cousin Bruce Ellington – a Niners receiver – Sunday, here’s a link to Kyle Odegard’s story on the two, from around the combine.

— Newcomer Jalen Parmele “probably” will slide into Jonathan Dwyer’s role as the short-yardage and goal-line back, Arians said. Stepfan Taylor isn’t that guy. Parmele is bigger than Taylor, but with Ellington’s talent, you have to wonder how much more Taylor will ever do here, or if he just will stay in the packages that they use him in now.

— Ellington is probable. The foot has definitely gotten better. And they will need him to play well. You figure the passing game will likely have a ceiling with the backup QB in the game.

— The Cardinals have been spectacular in a pair of rallies, outscoring opponents 27-0 in the fourth quarter. The 49ers have gotten out to fast starts and fizzled down the stretch, and last week’s second half cost them a win. The Cards need to start a little faster, or at least slow San Francisco. Last year’s game at University of Phoenix Stadium was a game in which the Cards had to rally, before losing late.

— Here’s hoping the Cardinals’ fans show up in force and, as Arians has said, kept their tickets. The Cards will need that home-field advantage Sunday and it’d be a shame if too many tickets were in the hands of Niner fans.

— If you are going to the stadium, don’t forget the Cardinals will be wearing black.

On to the game.

PPCrabblogUSE

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

28 Responses to “Friday before the Niners”

1. By UK Cards Fan on Sep 19, 2014 | Reply

I hope Stanton can keep his cool, hopefully we can manufacture some pass rush this week, maybe go after J. Martin.

2. By Cards Girl on Sep 19, 2014 | Reply

Darren, I have tried to find last night’s Big Red Rage, but it does not seem to be available. Is that because of all the other distractions out there to be reported upon? I heard part of it, so I know Calais and Teddy Ginn were there. I will be at UOP in my regular seats and I hope most other fans will, too–dressed in their black jerseys. We need to make sure this is the usual Home Field Advantage for the Cardinals. Go Cards!

3. By Darren Urban on Sep 19, 2014 | Reply

Cards Girl —

RE: BRR

It should be up no later than tomorrow morning.

4. By CreditCard on Sep 19, 2014 | Reply

On a different note ….

A leading neurosurgeon earns about $400,000 / yr, while Commissioner Goodell earns $40,000,000 / yr. That is 100x more than a surgeon who operates on the central nervous system. The answers that Goodell gave in his presser is a no brainer to run this clown out of town. Goodell did the backstroke in Olympic form sidestepping every difficult question, double talk, topped with endless excuses.

Unbelievable he actually stood there rambling off excuses, thinking no one would figure it out.

5. By rod on Sep 19, 2014 | Reply

We are going to CRUSH them!

Book it!

6. By shannon robinson on Sep 19, 2014 | Reply

The Cards have been built to win this game. Deone Bucannon has a very particular job to do. The Honey Badger is one of the answers to the puzzle. Keim and Co. resigned Rashad Johnson as their first contract. However the responsibility is down to Shaughnessy to stop Kaepernick. I remember the pride Matt had when he said he was in the linebacker room when asked about Defensive Line challenges, “I don’t know, I’m not in that room!.” If Kaepernick wants to run around the end we’re saying he’ll pay a heavy price with the hit we’re planning from OLB Shaughnessy. John Brown and Ted Ginn will break free on long strikes from Stanton because Mr. Veldheer the man who looks like he owns a weight room will give him time and BA is going to call the plays. Coach Arians has waite a long time to have this speed and blocking tight ends to run his offense. Stop the run Mr. Foote and Mr. Minter the Centaur. Ellington could have a field day. This ain’t an ackident. Go Cards.

7. By Chuck 1 on Sep 19, 2014 | Reply

Darren,,

Your comment about Taylor adds to my suspicion that drafting Taylor was a mistake.
    Cooper’s problems make me think the same about him.

8. By cardinal on Sep 19, 2014 | Reply

Darren whats Cooper’s status ? Im ready to see him play a regular season game .

9. By Darren Urban on Sep 19, 2014 | Reply

Cardinal —

RE: Cooper

Cooper has already been playing. He is a backup right now.

10. By cardsalltheway on Sep 19, 2014 | Reply

I am BOYCOTTING THE NFL and Roger Goodell. It’s up to the stupid owners until or whether I EVER watch another game or get involved in anything that has to do with the NFL and all its stupid supporting corporations. I am also BOYCOTTING this website until Roger Goodell is fired or no longer the commissioner, he cannot be trusted!

11. By sunday on Sep 19, 2014 | Reply

i cant even imagine how monday going to be for me if we loose to Niners again.I don’t like that team at all and if Denver loose to to Seattle they will be looking for a win at home.We have to beat these winers.

12. By Eazy E on Sep 20, 2014 | Reply

I hate to say it, but it will be very tough to win this game. 49ers are pissed off after blowing a big lead at home in their very first game at Levis Stadium. We don’t have Carson(And I myself don’t LOVE Carson but he’s a helluva a lot better than Drew and he played ok but not good enough to beat the 49ers even at home. The John Abraham IR move is a HUGE blow and I hope Frostee can play along with ready or not Victor Butler, more Shaughnessy, Acho, etc. It’ll be tough to still be undefeated after this weekend. Colin also plays extremely well against us along with Crab, Gore, Davis, and Boldin. Good Luck Cards though… I’ll be rooting for ya of course, just stating the facts and being objective!

13. By azqfan on Sep 20, 2014 | Reply

Credit Card, yes Roger makes more than that dr. he also oversees a 100 billion dollar enterprise, the Dr does not. I for one am tired of people blaming the commissioner for the players who are losers. He has not hit anyone. Just because you don’t like the way he handled things, TOUGH, he doesn’t work for you. He works for 32 people the owners, they alone will decide his fate. Sorry, not you, and not the fans.

Cardsalltheway, I am sure i speak for many here when I am glad to hear you are boycotting this site.Go smoke a joint…

14. By Louisville Card on Sep 20, 2014 | Reply

Sorry to see Abraham go, but glad someone steped in and threw in the towel for him…long term mental health is more important than football…

15. By Ldubya on Sep 20, 2014 | Reply

@ credit card- that’s what a “FREE MARKET” does.. maybe you don’t support?

16. By thebreakneck on Sep 20, 2014 | Reply

I am so tired of all the people piling on the commish I don’t think they understand what his job truly is he works for the owners his job is to market the nfl which is doing extremely well, if you want to be mad at someone for ray rice getting off light then be mad at the justice system for giving him less than a slap on the wrist.

17. By Erik on Sep 20, 2014 | Reply

@cardsalltheway, you have it right. If you don’t approve of all that is happening in the league, you have to withhold your dollar. Nowadays, the only way to truly ‘vote’ is with the money you spend. Not sure why all the thumbs down, you weren’t telling anyone else what to do.

As far as Goddell being fired, he is the voice ( more like the sacrificial lamb) of the owners. We really don’t know who the man is and honestly, even if he gets fired they will just bring up another empty suit to do their bidding. Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

18. By beltramiscott on Sep 20, 2014 | Reply

Well, if the commish can take out a player for a year for smoking pot for popping twice on tests, yes rules are rules. However, beat a women and get two games? All I can say take his money back also ! Fine him as well and remove him also ! Fair is fair !

19. By Kevin S Mesa on Sep 20, 2014 | Reply

If there were a Vegas line on it, I would bet a few mortgage payments that cardsalltheway posts again while Goodell is still commissioner.

20. By clssylssy on Sep 21, 2014 | Reply

Team owners are going to have to become unified if there is ever going to be any kind of personal conduct code implemented and adhered to and it will have to apply to ALL team personnel from Owner on down to ballboys and secretaries. There can be no holding players to a higher standard than Owners or other front office personnel. You can’t have one player on “the list” and drawing his entire guaranteed salary while another is on a different list getting paid nothing, and yet another is still allowed to keep playing while others have been tried in the press and court of public opinion (without all the facts). John Elway’s son who works for the Broncos also was charged with domestic violence this week but it seems daddy’s wealth and favor with the league has earned him special treatment? All of these events are tragic but nothing new for the NFLm and so I’m thinking that all the moral outrage has less to do with the issues as it does with the fact that these guys are making millions of dollars and have become targets for profiling by the tabloid press. Fans don’t look to sports for a moral compass but rather entertainment; they look to religion for moral guidance. When we allow government/employers/Big brother power beyond the judiciary it is a slippery slope and we are opening the door to giving away the very freedoms many have died protecting.
    Goodell is a high price mouthpiece but an employee nonetheless who only has the power given to him by the Owners. Perhaps fans need to let their Owners know that there cannot be preferrential treatment for the Jim Irsay’s while feining outrage at players. I found Coach BA’s comments probably some of the most intelligent and rational words spoken on this entire mess, and it’s time for fans to step in off the ledge and channel all that energy and emotion into supporting the team. We weren’t there and do not have all the facts so should stick with what we do know! Come’n On Cards! Let’s Beat those 9ers and Prove We Are For Real!

21. By Darren Urban on Sep 21, 2014 | Reply

Clssy —

RE: Elway

Elway’s son does not work for the Broncos.

22. By clssylssy on Sep 21, 2014 | Reply

I stand corrected…and so should Mike Florio! Thanks Darren, but you get my point!

23. By Mike G on Sep 21, 2014 | Reply

Hey Darren– Hope all is cool–Enjoy the game today–hopefully the Card’s can get a W. Its been an interesting week with all the off-field issues. I hope Stanton can duplicate his performance from last week and play error free ball. Teams that win the turnover battle +1 or above win like 80% of their games. I don’t see that changing today. 49ers are ripe right now and are not playing their best ball. Must find a way to contain Vernon Davis –I know he is not at full speed–Card’s must take advantage of that. Darren–I am waiting for S-Taylor to have a breakout game – he played well against SD in his time and I thought he would get more touches against NY. Do you see him expanding his role with Dwyer gone????

24. By Darren Urban on Sep 21, 2014 | Reply

Mike G —

RE: Taylor

I do not. Parmele will get a chunk of Dwyer’s role.

25. By Patrick Hoog aka Don't Take Losses on Sep 21, 2014 | Reply

Only Michael Irvin among 5 NFL network “analysts” picks the Cards. Upset brewing, Cards 24 – 49ers 20.

26. By Scott H on Sep 21, 2014 | Reply

Looks like Vernon Davis will NOT play today. Lord knows the Cardinals have taken their share of hits on their side. But in terms of the hits the 49ers have taken on THEIR side AND this game being played at UoP…the Cardinals could not ask for much more in terms of catching a few breaks. They need to win this game because it’s really not gonna get any easier. They need to win these tough ones. They ain’t playing the Giants this week.

I agree with BA when he says something else is coming. Strange season so far for everyone, all 32 teams, in regard to injuries and all this legal stuff and the suspensions resulting from it. More is coming for pretty much everyone. That said, I am grateful for the way this coaching staff gets this team ready to play for the whole 60 minutes.

27. By Dynosoar on Sep 21, 2014 | Reply

cardsalltheway,

Be well my friend, will miss your posts (but my aim is improving. Haha.) I am not a fan of Goodell either, so I’ll offer the owners a real deal, I’ll apply for his position at ten percent of his salary. I’ll do it for 1/100th and I won’t be handing out ridiculous fines every week either. (Really, someone making just $1 Million each year gets an $8,000 dollar fine. In what universe is this a deterrent?)

Patrick,

I’ve rarely agreed with Irvin, but I do with this one.

Kevin S.

I lived in Vegas, I think the Vegas line would be that the postings come within a few weeks and Goodell will still be commissioner then.

(cardsalltheway, you can’t stay away, the Cardinals are in your blood and you want to see them win as much as any of us. I just hope you come over to the glass half full side sooner rather than later.)

28. By br in nc on Sep 21, 2014 | Reply

Dynosoar,
    I will drop my resume by, minister of discipline sounds cool, you need to delegate some of the many hats (that’s Goodell’s biggest problem, he tries to wear to many hats!) I. Assure you the players wouldn’t want to go in front of me more than once. Fines would be hefty, (even after my cut of every fine! LOL!) Seriously though, Goodell needs to quit micromanaging, continue to do what he does well, marketing the NFL, and delegate the other duties, he has brought record profits to the NFL, but has failed miserably in other areas!! Actually, since I don’t forsee you becoming commissioner, which surely kills what small chance I had at being the NFL’s minister of discipline, what he should do is form a committee to Dole out punishment, and fines, consisting of at least one woman, and one former professional athlete (not necessarily a football player, as a matter of fact I think it should not be a former football player,) and the final seat should be a retired or former judge to ensure the legal side is adhered to, they would have final say, the commissioner would not be involved in the process at all, wouldn’t even sit in on the process, the only say he would have if he wanted to decide what charity part of the fine would go to