Stanton to start against 49ers

Posted by Darren Urban on September 19, 2014 – 1:01 pm

Bruce Arians made it simple Friday, announcing that Drew Stanton will start at quarterback for the Cardinals Sunday. Carson Palmer still is not throwing passes, and even if he for some reason were ready to play Sunday at this point, he would be active as the backup quarterback with Logan Thomas inactive. Regardless, Stanton will start.

“We’ll put that to bed right now,” Arians said.

It’s not a surprise. Palmer’s right shoulder is getting better, Arians said, but if he can’t even throw — never mind if he has any power behind it — he can’t do the job. Arians said Stanton should be better than last week, but also acknowledged the 49ers have one of the best defenses. This isn’t an ideal situation for the Cardinals, but it is where they are at the moment.

— Arians said doctors told John Abraham after he failed another concussion test Thursday that he needed to sit out at least a year, which led to the IR move. It certainly looks like Abraham’s career is over, and that’s probably a good thing.

— Newcomer Jalen Parmele, not Stepfan Taylor, will take over Jonathan Dwyer’s short-yardage/goal-line back responsibilities.

— Dave Zastudil (groin) is indeed out, so Drew Butler will be punter Sunday. LB Alex Okafor (thigh) won’t play again either.

— Defensive end Frostee Rucker (calf) did do some things in practice and Arians said he could play Sunday. Rucker will be a game-day decision.

Stantonstartbloguse

Tags: , , , , , , ,

39 Responses to “Stanton to start against 49ers”

1. By Kaleb on Sep 19, 2014 | Reply

If we win this game somehow we are going to the Super Bowl I don’t care what anyone says.

2. By Anthony Palmese on Sep 19, 2014 | Reply

That would be really cool, I’m a Giants fan but I would love to see Mr Palmer get a long deserved shot at winning a Super Bowl. I think he’s a classy guy that was stuck on some bad teams. He finally got the opportunity to play for a good team. Good luck Cardinals!

3. By ryan on Sep 19, 2014 | Reply

It is what it is- step up and get a win! I hate the 9rs!!

4. By br in nc on Sep 19, 2014 | Reply

Man, Mr Injury bug has sure hit us hard so far, and we aren’t even a quarter of the way through the season. He has overstayed his welcome in Cardinal land, its almost like he never left after Honey Badger, and Ta’amu went down with the ripped up knees, then DD, and Acho, Abraham, and Carson (hopefully CP’shoulder improves and he doesn’t miss any more time!!) I know it has been proven that our depth is light years ahead of what it used to be, but honestly, I’m starting to sweat a Tad, we can’t sustain to many more (if any at all) blows to our roster!! I try like hell to stay positive, and not blame injury’s on level of play, but at some point it will start to show, its just the law of averages, we keep taking hits like this, there isn’t going to be anymore next man up, we are going to run the hell out of players!!!
    I still have to believe we can pull out a win at home this week, I think Stanton will only get sharper the more snaps he takes, but my biggest worry is our pass rush, with DD and JA gone for the season someone (or two) players need to step up huge and take up the slack, our DB’s can’t be asked to do the impossible and cover all day on every play, eventually a Receiver is going to get open with no pressure on the QB! Just saying…….

5. By T. Stone on Sep 19, 2014 | Reply

The Cardinals will win this game. Because the 49ers players are sick of their coach. They Quit last week. The Cardinal Players believe. WHO GOT IT BETTER THAN US? The Cardinal Players that’s Who. And They will Show it on Sunday. Take your stupid, Ra Ra ass back to SF. Then bring on Denver.

6. By Itsallinthecards on Sep 19, 2014 | Reply

It’s a bummer that Alex Okafor hasn’t been able to play. It seemed like he had been playing well before the thigh injury. Any news on how he’s progressing Darren or what the extent of his injury is?

7. By Darren Urban on Sep 19, 2014 | Reply

Itsall —

RE: Okafor

Arians and he said it’s getting better. I’d think he’ll be a post-bye guy, but we’ll see.

8. By j on Sep 19, 2014 | Reply

Palmer will be better after the bye im sure of it. He will be rested and ready for the 13 game marathon starting in Denver. Wonderful that we have Stanton on this team, he gives the Cards a fighting chance while Palmer is healing.

9. By kauaicardsfan on Sep 19, 2014 | Reply

Aloha Darren,
    When they sign, release and resign someone such as Butler case, Is the contract terms week to week?
    Boy I have never seen so much movement ” Drama” in 2 weeks of a cards season before. I think this is a record?

Next Man up!!!! GO CARDS!

10. By Darren Urban on Sep 19, 2014 | Reply

Kauai —

RE: Contract

They are not week to week, but the deal is not guaranteed. They just sign a new one.

11. By Scott H on Sep 19, 2014 | Reply

Palmer’s arm / shoulder is better but he still can’t even throw??? Doesn’t sound “better” to me. But…that just goes along with what the theme has been for this team this year. Starting QB un-able to play…best punter in the NFL still can’t play…sack leader from last year done for the season….etc, etc, etc. It’s remarkable this team is 2-0. I gotta give the coaching staff a TON of credit for that. But we now have no margin for “error” ( = any more injuries ) at QB. Clearly, no one knows when Palmer is going to be ready to play again. AND how can anyone believe that when he does, he’s still not gonna be limited? Anything happens to Stanton right now and we’re pretty much in Rams territory.

Moving on…I believe we are in good hands with Stanton. He is NOT a guy who is gonna come in and lose the game for you. And he is more than capable of running this offense. BUT this cannot become a situation where we NEED Stanton to win the games for us, either. I’m not sure he is up to that. With Palmer in there, I was looking at this being a situation where the offense might have to carry the team. With Stanton, I won’t say that CAN’T happen but I think it now swings back to needing the defense to keep teams off the scoreboard / get TO’s / maybe even put up a few scores of their own.

Regardless, to beat the 49ers, ALL THREE phases need to play better than they have so far, especially the offense. Ginn gave us a big play that was pivotal in the Giants game, but….until then??? The special teams were not playing well.

12. By Christopher on Sep 19, 2014 | Reply

I hope Carson does get better. As a Bengal fan in Cinci, I know first hand how much bull he had to deal with while he was here. Could he have done it in 2005? They sure looked good up until Kimo took his knee out. Arizona looks tough this year, maybe Carson will meet up against Cinci in the Super Bowl this year.

13. By Brian D. Crum on Sep 19, 2014 | Reply

I am an ex-Big Ten ball player and a die hard Cards fan. I had an out-of-the-box thought to pass on to you. I don’t know if Jonathan Cooper has an “aggressive” nature about him or not but he is a very talented athlete…speed, strength & agility. As opposed to putting him on the sidelines, perhaps Dockett could evaluate his potential as a pass rusher. If he dropped a few pounds, he would look a lot like Darnell. At least we could take advantage of a high draft choice. (I sent this comment to Bowles and Goodwin but doubt they will ever see it. Thanks for all you do for the Cardinals. They are lucky to have you.
    Brian

14. By mal on Sep 19, 2014 | Reply

I used to think our Bye was early this year, but now I think it’s perfect timing.

After pounding the niners, we can get everyone healthy and let this storm pass, then come out ready to stomp on Denver.

15. By Scott H on Sep 19, 2014 | Reply

Not related to this, but my God, did anyone hear / see Goodell’s press conference??? It is absolutely pathetic, the extent to which he has made NOT answering questions an art form. And the questions themselves were pretty much pathetic, too. It is truly sad that the NFL can hold a conference like this – where few real questions are asked and NONE are answered – and they can use it as proof that they are being transparent and are not trying to hide from anything. Hiding in plain sight is more like it.

There is NO WAY that this press conference made anyone feel better about the NFL, Goodell, and how this whole situation is being handled. I honestly think this one totally blew up in their face. Not that I believe everyone thinks like me, but….if they think the public trust was made better by this travesty of a press conference, then they truly are not based in reality. Honestly, I think they may have done more harm than good to their own cause where the public trust is concerned. Wow….

16. By Kevin S Mesa on Sep 19, 2014 | Reply

I just plunked down some cash on the Cardinals at +140 (money line — I’m not even taking the 3 points offered on the spread… I want an outright victory, not the mixed emotions of a one or two point Niner win that still gets me paid). Just got a good feeling about this game, even with Stanton. PP, don’t let us down on Crabtree. Hope V Davis doesn’t play.

17. By John The Draft Guy on Sep 19, 2014 | Reply

Justin Houston- In 39 starts, he has 28.5 sacks. He is a free agent next year and is 25.

He has favorable contract for the Chiefs to trade him. They drafted Dee Ford in the first round this year who plays behind Houston. The Chiefs next 4 games are @Dolphins, at home against Pats, @ SF and @ Chargers.

If the lose on the road to Miami, they will be 0-3 with some tough games in front of them.

Last year at this time, I said the same thing about getting Jared Veldheer. There was no trade, but the cards targeted and got him in the off season without giving up a draft pick. OK, but how much would he have helped us on our playoff run instead of Sowell?

We may be able to go out and sign a pass rusher in the next off season. But we really need one this year. I believe so strong in this that I could see a lack of pass rush causing us to lose the division.

Keim, this is a defining moment. Houston is not a large salary guy right now. The release or trade of Sam Acho would free up the cap space.
    Of course Houston may not be available. But I think he might be.

Be proactive and make the calls. Let’s go get Justin Houston before the end of October trade deadline.

18. By Jason on Sep 21, 2014 | Reply

JTDG –

With age and salary an issue I think they would trade Tamba before Houston….I don’t think either one would happen, but why would KC choose the older more expensive player when he’s entering the last year of his contract next season?

19. By clssylssy on Sep 19, 2014 | Reply

When Palmer couldn’t raise his arm shoulder level, I figured it was more serious than it was let on but hope with the vast and sophisticated rehab resources he has at his disposal he will be with us by mid-season. In the meantime, we are fortunate to have Drew Stanton, who, as Coach BA stated is probably more knowledgeable of the offense than Carson by virtue of his history with Arians. The Giants are far from being the 9ers but that was a good exercise and Stanton showed us he can find receivers without making a lot of errors (the Giants made enough of their own that we were let off the hook). As much as fans love to hate the 9ers and the Hawks, there is no denying that they are excellent teams and play tough &for keeps.
    If we approach this game like we did the Seahawks in Seattle last year and contain Kaepernick like we did Wilson, I think we have a chance even while missing some valuable weapons. We have one of the best secondaries in the league, a killer special teams, who have been our saving grace more than a few times and a much improved offense. The defense is going to have to just dig in and grind! This game will come down to the playcalling, and our team being able to execute with precision without drawing penalties. I hope to see Tyrann Mathieu out there on more plays this week; is seems everyone has kept silent about his role so I’m thinking BA has a plan for him. We just need to win one game at a time and keep plugging away until February. GO CARDS, PLAY SMART, & DON’T GIVE UP THE NEST!

20. By John The Draft Guy on Sep 19, 2014 | Reply

To Follow up,

You want to know how desperate the pass rush issue is, Brian above is suggesting we move our guard in to pass rush.

Housler is real quick, lets try him too. I think fans can see it and smell it. We are not that far off from being a superbowl contender.

Just go offer a 2 and 4 for Houston and be prepared to go as high as a 1 and 4. A proven pass rusher at 25.

You may ask why would they let Houston go? Because Hali has a 12 million dollar contract and Ford, he first round pick, isn’t cheap either. Plus, Houston wants to get paid. Maybe they keep Houston, pay him and cut Hali next year and go with Houston and Ford. Who knows. But draft picks make teams think about it.

21. By rod on Sep 19, 2014 | Reply

I like the idea. But he’d probably get injured on his first play here in AZ.
    😦

22. By fish51 on Sep 19, 2014 | Reply

Why are the 49’s letting Ray McDonald play? By all rights he should be inactive since his arrest for domestic abuse.

23. By luke on Sep 19, 2014 | Reply

We defiantly need the crowd in this game.

24. By TucsonTim on Sep 19, 2014 | Reply

Has Timmy Hightower been given a try out?

25. By Darren Urban on Sep 19, 2014 | Reply

Tucson —

RE: Hightower

Not that I have heard.

26. By Scott H on Sep 19, 2014 | Reply

Am hearing that Vernon Davis hasn’t practiced all week, was on crutches earlier in the week, and was observed as still pretty hobbled as of TODAY. Gotta think that has his status is very much in doubt for Sunday! And even if he goes, gotta wonder how much he can do or for how long. His absence from that offense is HUGE. They still have lots of weaponry without him, but…he is the guy who really KILLED us last year when we played them.

27. By Dobie on Sep 19, 2014 | Reply

what is all said and done the bottom line is next man up and they have to bring there A game
    Dobie

28. By Larry on Sep 19, 2014 | Reply

With Dan Williams and CC stopping the run, we need our cornerbacks to stop the run/pass game of the Niners. What I mean is, we need one of our linebackers to spy Kapernick to keep him from going outside. That way, it allows Peterson and Cromartie to cover one and two, and keep Kapernick from short yardage situations. With world class corners, and two of the best run stoppers in the game, I sure don’t see why that is not possible.

29. By Eazy E on Sep 20, 2014 | Reply

Noooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!! About Drew Starting and Abraham going to IR.

30. By Eazy E on Sep 20, 2014 | Reply

Tommy Kelly’s face says it all about Stanton starting again… I really hope and pray John can come back strong but he has to put him and his family first.

31. By Eric on Sep 20, 2014 | Reply

I truly believe Carson is done, sadly, I did like him. Lets not forget we drafted Drew as our starting QB before Carson arrived. In my opinion, Drew is gonna *shock the world* and I do believe takes us to the playoffs and more. He is a younger Carson and can make all the same throws only stronger and farther! I personally am excited for this next chapter. This week shall reveal our true character as a team and it will test our will to win! Good luck and GO CARDS!!!!!!

32. By Braedon on Sep 20, 2014 | Reply

We didn’t draft Drew; we got him from the Colts.

33. By beltramiscott on Sep 20, 2014 | Reply

Eric, Carson will be back and he will be just fine in time. Drew is a great QB and will be just fine with taking care of the niners. We play our game not theirs. Stop the run in the back field and we will own them. If you let Kapernick run on us it will be a very long day. trap the pocket and you trap him. We have a great secondary and he may get a few passes. However, we will get him, watch and see it will be across the middle. He does these short passes across the middle to his WR’s and TE’s. Move up your safety and take it from them. We have a great coaching staff, they don’t miss a thing. When you hear them say finish, that is a fact, play through it. Play hard. We will be 3-0 after this game. Then we rest.

34. By beltramiscott on Sep 20, 2014 | Reply

Go cards !!!

35. By Braedon on Sep 20, 2014 | Reply

Hey Darren,

Do you know what the motives are behind signing Parmele instead of Zach Bauman? I ask because they cut Jalen a week before Zach in the preseason. Did he outperform on special teams?

36. By Darren Urban on Sep 20, 2014 | Reply

Braedon —

RE: Bauman

First of all, Bauman and Parmele are two totally different kind of backs. Parmele is the bruiser that better fits what is lost with Dwyer.

But Bauman wasn’t even kept on the practice squad and they have brought in a couple of smaller, quicker PS guys already. I think that says a lot about what they thought of Bauman.

2. Sep 20, 2014: Cardinals Blogs | Friday before the Niners
  3. Sep 21, 2014: Week 3 NFL Picks: Final Vegas Odds and Predictions for Sunday’s Slate | Sports Wonks
  4. Sep 21, 2014: Week 3 NFL Picks: Final Vegas Odds and Predictions for Sunday's Slate | Sports Wonks