Niners aftermath, after a headbutt

Posted by Darren Urban on September 21, 2014 – 7:37 pm

Tony Jefferson had himself a game Sunday. The safety lead the Cardinals with 10 tackles, he had the huge second-down sack of Colin Kaepernick on the 49ers’ last true chance to score and, of course, he absorbed the headbutt that changed the game.

Former Cardinal Anquan Boldin, who has been known to let his emotions get away from him on the field, got angry at Jefferson after catching a pass for a first down on the Cardinals’ 6-yard line with the Cards nursing a 20-14 lead. Boldin headbutted Jefferson, and the 15 yards eventually derailed the drive into a field goal attempt that was blocked by Cardinals’ defensive end Tommy Kelly. The 49ers never did score again.

“People give him (Boldin) so much respect out on the field, and I respect him as a player, but anybody who is going to jaw at me, I’m going to jaw back,” Jefferson said. “I’m all about the action. I’ll jaw. But I won’t retaliate like he did.”

But the play was more than that for the Cardinals. Boldin ranted after the game Jefferson had been delivering cheap blows and he was simply fed up. After the game, however, the Cardinals were talking about finally standing up to bully in the 49ers that had knocked them around in recent years.

“I think they are kind of used to us backing down once the game gets started,” Jefferson said. “But we were in their face. We were going after it. We let them know, this is a different team.”

It seems like a different team. It’s definitely an undefeated team, and one that has earned that distinction.

It was a big deal winning Sunday, not the least of which was with Drew Stanton behind center. Bruce Arians kept saying Stanton could get the job done, but he (rightfully) said Stanton had to show everyone else. He has. Stanton managed the game in New York. He won the game against the 49ers. B.A. clearly didn’t pull back the reins.

Stanton had a great press conference. He was happy, as he should be, and knows how to be funny. Someone asked him why he clicks with Arians. Stanton said he wasn’t sure. “To be honest with you, in Indianapolis, I didn’t even know if he liked me,” Stanton said.

I don’t think Drew needs to worry about that anymore.

– -That said, please don’t ask about a quarterback controversy. There isn’t one. When Palmer is ready, he’ll be back in there.

— As good as John “Smokey” Brown –and that’s what the Cards call him, Smoke or Smokey – was on his TD catches, the pass interference he drew on the game-clinching field goal drive was just as big a play. Without that, the Cardinals are punting with more than three minutes left.

“Once I got past five yards, (I knew) if he got hands on me, it was an automatic pass interference,” Brown said. “Drew made a great throw and (cornerback Chris Cook) did what I wanted him to do.”

— Brown said the gameplan all week was to feature him, thinking the 49ers would focus on Fitz and Floyd. Brown was asked, was that because the 49ers don’t really know who you are? Brown smiled. “No one knows me.”

— Stanton became the first Cardinals’ QB to not throw an interception and not be sacked since 2010. So once again, Stanton has a link back to 2010.

— You can’t go sackless, especially with as many deep throws as the Cardinals tried, without very good pass protection. Yes, the Niners are without guys like Aldon Smith and NaVorro Bowman, but this upgraded line is doing very well (including that parting of the Red Sea to spring Andre Ellington for that last 20-yard gain.)

— The Palmer/Stanton quarterbacked-Cards have yet to throw an interception this season.

— Amazing. On Tommy Kelly’s blocked field goal for the Cards, the Cardinals only had nine men on the field.

— It was with a lot less in-game attention as the Cardinals rallied, but Larry Fitzgerald didn’t get his first catch Sunday until the fourth quarter again. Then it looked like he’d be the key factor in the game-clinching drive – and then he fumbled the ball at the San Francisco 5. It was shades of last year’s lost fumble in San Francisco that short-circuited a possible go-ahead drive. This time, the Cardinals weathered the turnover. I’m not sure Fitz talked to anyone after – I know I didn’t get a chance to see him – but I’m sure he breathed a sigh of relief the turnover turned out not to matter.

— Michael Floyd, two long (39 and 45 yards) catches among his 5-for-114 day. That’s two 100-yard games in three weeks.

— Is there a better defensive coordinator in the league at making halftime adjustments than Todd Bowles?

— I’m not sure how the defense went from being unsure how to handle Colin Kaepernick to shutting him down. This defense just keeps making it work. Losing Antonio Cromartie with a knee injury could have been a blow, but Bowles was already going to use Justin Bethel in this game. That’s foresight. I thought Patrick Peterson played pretty well too. The Cards started getting to Kaepernick with pressure, but the coverage was a big part of that.

So the Cards head into the bye. A short week of practice, needed time off and a 3-0 record. Can’t complain.

TJeffBlog

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

67 Responses to “Niners aftermath, after a headbutt”

1. By jakeplummersghost on Sep 21, 2014 | Reply

Man, the national media sure is going to be steamed tomorrow morning when they look at the NFC West standings…

2. By Dr. G. on Sep 21, 2014 | Reply

Well, what else can you say Q? You are a gamer, but the head-butt thing just confirmed that you thought the game was already over.

And, I reiterate that the defense always has the dirtiest players – the 9ers proved that to their detriment on Sunday. I think our D got away fairly clean. Bowles must be the Zen Master to get these guys to be physical monsters with a cool head.

PP, early on, I saw you back up and give Crabs about 10 yards; Kaep threw to him for a 1st down! On the next play, I saw you move right up next to him! I guess you got a look from the WR coach, huh? Things went pretty well the rest of the game. With your speed, don’t give up so much space, or move to Safety…. There is no such thing as Prevent Defense in the 1st quarter…and never on this team.

THIS WAS SUCH AN AWESOME DISPLAY OF “TEAM EXECUTION.” AND THE 9ERS GOT EXECUTED THIS SUNDAY…. What a start this year….Be well Cards Fans…

Thanks for the early review Darren….

3. By Bay Area Bad Boy on Sep 21, 2014 | Reply

Great win. The niners have no discipline and they play dirty. So happy we came out on top. I have bragging rights until the end of the season. haha. Great Job guys. Go Cardinals !!!!!!

4. By georgiebird on Sep 21, 2014 | Reply

Good summary of the game- Cards didn’t quit.

5. By georgiebird on Sep 21, 2014 | Reply

Given the fact there is no QB controversy and Palmer is the QB, BUT:
    1) Stanton is more mobile
    2) Stanton throws a beautiful pass
    3) Stanton knows the offense
    4) Stanton works well with the receivers
    5) Stanton is fearless
    6) Stanton can take a hit
    7) Stanton doesn’t throw INTs
    8) Stanton can finish a drive
    9) Stanton seems to be a winner
    10) Stanton and the HC are joined at the hip
    But there is no QB controversy so forget what I said.

6. By br in nc on Sep 21, 2014 | Reply

Bay area bad boy,
    Gotta hand it to you, I don’t know how you survive up in that area as a Cardinal fan! Time to get out and spread the message, recruit some Birdgang fans, so you wont be so lonely up in the Bay area. Standing ovation from me, to you, sir!!

7. By br in nc on Sep 21, 2014 | Reply

Carson Palmer is our QB (once he is 100% healthy of course) it is not even close! Stanton is a very good backup, other than Cousins in Washington, Drew is the best backup in the NFL, but Palmer is light years ahead of Stanton, no it’s, ands, or bug’s about it!

8. By br in nc on Sep 21, 2014 | Reply

One day I will learn to proofread auto correct!

**no if, and, or but’s **

9. By georgiebird on Sep 21, 2014 | Reply

John Brown is such an exciting receiver. If he can now become the best receiver in football, it will be like getting to see Roy Green play once again like it was 1984.

10. By br in nc on Sep 21, 2014 | Reply

But according to some he is to small, his ego is to big, and he played at a small college, #5 WR at best, and is going to get knocked the ____ out multiple times now that he is playing against the best of the best. Once again, as he has been doing his whole life, he will prove the naysayers wrong!!!

11. By John on Sep 21, 2014 | Reply

Great team win Cards. Awesome all around. Continue to be impressed with John Brown, Stanton looked even better this week, and the Cards Defense keeps hanging in there. Love the play of the line. Veldheer has been awesome! Keep us posted on Cro’s status. Hope everyone gets some rest and comes back healthy to take it to Denver.

12. By kauaicardsfan on Sep 21, 2014 | Reply

What a great win!!! I dont remember a 3-0 start? What a great resilient team!

Any word on Cromartie’s injury?

Lets enjoy this one and have a nice bye week and heal up some of our players!
    GO CARDS!!!

13. By T. Stone on Sep 21, 2014 | Reply

Ok John, now get your RA RA ass back to SF and Bring on Denver. WHO GOT IT BETTER THAN YOU? WE Do.

14. By T. Stone on Sep 21, 2014 | Reply

And take your brother Jim with ya. lol

15. By Dynosoar on Sep 21, 2014 | Reply

No. No there’s not.

br in nc aka minister of discipline.
    Nice post. I like the idea of taking discipline out of Goodell’s hands.

Bay Area Bad Boy,
    I’m thrilled for you. Not only did we win, we stopped Gore. How often does that happen.

We haven’t allowed a fourth quarter point this season. We haven’t thrown an interception this season. No sacks in this game. 3-0. Destiny!

And then there were three. My daughter’s a Bengals fan and after today’s game she said “Super Bowl!” I responded, “then we’ll play each other” and she started to pout. (She’s eleven.) Then she brightened up and said, we beat you already this year, we’ll do it again in the Super Bowl.

I wonder where she got her optimism from? Go Cards! Home Field advantage in February. Destiny!

16. By br in nc on Sep 21, 2014 | Reply

Dynosoar,
    Actually we have shut down Gore the last 5 games (Tory makes 6) at our house, he has not rushed for more than 75 yards in any of the last 6 games, and he had 1 TD (didn’t get to see today’s game as usual here in NC so I don’t know if he scored any TD’s today) but we have had his # for a few years now. Actually we have had the NFL’s # last year and this year, our run defense is off the chain! (to steal a phrase my 17 year old son uses. At least I think that is the saying!!) Or as my generation used to say, our Defense is GROOVY!! LOL!

Totally agree with you on Bowles, hands down the best!! I think BA will be in the market hiring a new D Coordinator for next season, cuz TB will have a fancy new office with a fancy new sign, unfortunately he will have a new zip code as well, his new sign will read…HEAD COACH!
    Question – Do you think there should be a QB controversy in Arizona??
    I am dead against it, CP is our QB, once he is 100% healthy of course, I’m just starting to hear whispers, and reading blogs that are trying to plant a seed to start fan’s thinking…IMHO, Palmer is our QB, he far and away gives us the best chance to win week in and week out, all the way through until February, and the ultimate prize!!! Stanton is a great #2, there is only one better, Cousins, from the Deadskins, but Palmer has to get healthy and lead us to the promised land!! We are looking more and more like a team of Destiny, with all the injuries, suspensions, free agent loses, and with one of the toughest schedules (if not the toughest) in the NFL, in my opinion, Carson Palmer is the one piece we cannot do without if we have any thoughts or dreams of playing at home for the ultimate prize!! Just my opinion though!

17. By br in nc on Sep 21, 2014 | Reply

Dynsoar
    Guess I should have scrolled down just a Tad more and I would have seen your opinion on the QB controversy that shouldn’t be a controversy at all, obviously we are on the same page, CP is our Cardinals starting QB, and should be once he is healthy!!

18. By Dynosoar on Sep 21, 2014 | Reply

georgiebird, #1 may be correct, but #s 2-10 also apply to Palmer. No controversy. The sweet part, as you pointed out, our backup may be as good or almost as good as our starter. How many teams can say that?

This is not the same Stanton who played for the Lions all those years ago.

When Palmer retires, Stanton will take his place nicely, then Logan will replace him. We are set at QB for a decade or more.

I remember Roy Green as well. Good times again in Cardinals land.

19. By Dynosoar on Sep 21, 2014 | Reply

T. Stone,

20 thumbs up! For each post.

20. By Dynosoar on Sep 21, 2014 | Reply

I’m watching Kaep in his press conference. He’s got some designer squiggly in his haircut, wearing aviator sunglasses and huge headphones around his neck. He’s been paid and is strutting his stuff.

Prediction: San Francisco 5-11 this season.

21. By azdesertrat1953 on Sep 21, 2014 | Reply

That was one Heck of a game.
    You just had the feeling that they had it.
    Even though they were behind at the half, it was like, Ok no problem!
    That second half was just amazing!
    The Cards scored points in all four quarters.
    The AZ Cardinals Beat The 49’ers!!!

GO CARDS!!!

22. By 2liberal on Sep 21, 2014 | Reply

cards are 3-0 but with a lot of help from the zebras. I wonder what would have happened if the questionable calls were more evenly distributed between the teams. This is both this week and last week.

This week was a lot more encouraging i gotta say however.

23. By br in nc on Sep 21, 2014 | Reply

Is anyone keeping track of how many times the to small WR from the small school, who shouldn’t even be a #5 WR, how many times has he been KNOCKED THE ____out, and put in his place?? I have lost track, because I was looking for that #5 at best WR, who is actually our #3 WR, as most of us predicted he would be…I realize it is still early in the season, but John “smoke” Brown should only continue to improve (maybe to the point of offensive rookie of the year, for sure he will make the all rookie team!! Of course his ego will be his downfall…unless of course it was never ego, but confidence, as some of us stated early on!! Looking more and more like some posters got it wrong when it comes to John Brown, who once again it looks like he will prove himself like he has had to do at every level, and so far he has, and I still predict he will prove he is a damn good football player, and can not only hang with the best of the best, but embarrass them as well.

Looks like our run defense has actually gotten stingier than last year, despite all the loses of key players!! I think if the Defense continues to play at this level, and makes positive adjustments mid game when needed, BAis going to have to hire a new Defensive Coordinator, there is no way Todd Bowles doesn’t get a head coaching gig next year!! (Totally selfish of me, but I hope he turns it down to stay with the Cardinals, snowballs chance in hell, I know, but I can dream!!
    The 49rs QB was their leading rusher if I’m not mistaken, and that was mostly in the first half!!
    To all of you out of state Cardinal fans like myself, we have an added benefit, with the Cardinals winning and leading the division, they should be picked to play national games, NBC Sunday night football gets to pick the games they broadcast later in the season, as well, FOX has the National game of the week, (usually the second game of the doubleheader) which we will all be able to see more of our beloved Cardinals, it will be a welcomed site here in NC, come on NBC/FOX, you have to televise the potential Super Bowl contenders, which means you have to pick a few of the Cardinal games for ALL to see!! (I’m pleading like NBC & FOX are actually going to read this, fat freaking chance!! LOL) But I do think both will seriously consider Cardinal games for the whole nation to see if they keep winning and looking solid in the toughest division in the NFL!!

JTDG…Did you see my man Shane Garden/ECU put up 70 points on UNC Saturday, and he now has ECU nationally ranked, he threw for over 400 yards!! (I’m telling you, he is going to make some NFL team very happy!) LOL!

24. By br in nc on Sep 21, 2014 | Reply

****SHANE CARDEN/****

25. By Fred Garvin on Sep 21, 2014 | Reply

Game started at 4 AM here in China, so a short night’s sleep for me. I changed about 10 things at halftime and we came roaring back in the 2nd half. Not sure if any or all helped. Doesn’t matter – Cards are three an oh.

Keep it going – TEAM is what it takes, and all facets worked well today. Loved Ginn Jr.’s pass to Floyd. Arians has really big ……

GO CARDS

26. By br in nc on Sep 22, 2014 | Reply

So awesome!! You can actually follow the Cardinals (and access this website) in China? I thought the internet was heavily. Censured by the Chinese government??
    I am going to have a meltdown if there is more coverage of the Cardinals in China, than there is in North Carolina, USA! LOL!
    I love to see posters from all over the world that are Cardinal fans!! I tried my best to follow my beloved Cardinals from all over the world, I spent 22 years going where the Marine Corps told me to go, trying to keep up. With my Cardinals from at times some real remote crap holes!! Glad to see it is (or seems to be) easier to follow the Cardinals, and even see the games!

27. By Brian D. Crum on Sep 21, 2014 | Reply

It is an awesome day when this Cardinals team can reward itself with a victory like this one. When we hear from the players and coaches how much the fans mean to the team, we are all rewarded. What a great day! Rest up…& keep it up.

28. By BigAl on Sep 22, 2014 | Reply

br in nc
    Yeah, no I lost track too…since “little smokey” just seems to be racking up the big plays! In fact isn”t the little guy now leading the team in BIG plays as well as TD’s? In fact I believe after 3 games…there’s only one WR in the league w/more
    TD’s! That target monster in Chi Town! Not too shaby for a guy too little! I call him Marvin Harrison’s son! Or Marvin Jr. I swear, he even resembles him in facial features…
    Guess I’m getting old br I can’t remember where those negative
    conclusions stemmed from??? Think there was some negativity regarding Cooper
    as well from that same source, if my memory serves me?
    Originally, I didn’t like that our buy week was soo early on…however, now with all the recent injuries, & off field let downs etc…perhaps the timing is good…adjustments can be made, & perhaps Coop gets back in the mix? Ted Larson has been more than serviceable & flexible so he was great find…however, he has been beaten the most, Justin Smith just blew him up a # of times & we got lucky…he also is not the future LG for this team…So I wouldn’t be surprised if Coop isn’t back w/ the starting O-line after the break…
    Lets also pray Crows injury is minor! Great! Great team win tho!
    Stanton looked Great! better this week than last so maybe he’s getting his rhythm!

29. By br in nc on Sep 22, 2014 | Reply

Big Al,
    From what little I have read Cro says he will be ready to go after the bye, I don’t think he believes it is too serious, but have to wait for the Dr’s to get a look at it.
    I would love to see Cooper at LG, but our line is playing very well, I’m afraid if they plug Cooper in, it will mess with the the continuity, and cause our line to regress. Larsen has answered the call, and has worked out fairly well, in this case I have to say leave Larsen right where he is at. Besides, Cooper is young, he has plenty of seasons of play left in him, I’m a huge fan of the “if it ain’t broke, don’t try and fix it” style of play! I must confess (man up, when I’am wrong) I wasn’t impressed with the Larsen signing, I had no clue who he was, at the time the only plus I saw from the signing was he came at a fair reasonable price, now he is playing his way into a pretty good raise!! I actually love it when I’m wrong in cases like Larsen!
    BigAl, do you know if Larsen signed one of SK’s infamous 1 year prove it contract, or did he sign a multi-year deal??

30. By br in nc on Sep 22, 2014 | Reply

BigAl, Andylw, coach K, JTDG …
    Where are your postgame analysis on the game, I look forward to reading your posts, as well as all the regulars posts, hopefully you all are going to post your thoughts on the game, I look forward to reading your posts, I get so much more detailed information off of here, than I do any other site. I value your assessments, along with Dynosoar, Dr G, D, (I know I’m leaving a few more off) I really rely on your posts, insights, since I’am unable to watch the games out here in NC. Hopefully I will see all your posts soon! I apologize to any regular poster that usually puts out a breakdown of the most recent game if I forgot to list you above, but my memory ain’t what it used to be! LOL!

31. By infitzwetrust on Sep 22, 2014 | Reply

Anyone else catch the Johnathan cooper snap to Logan Thomas? LOL

32. By perry matherne on Sep 22, 2014 | Reply

Congrats coach bruce,damn good,beautiful,keep them guys in check it surely shows.Could’nt be more proud of ya’ll.Enjoy the bye week,go do some bass fishing in roosvelt lake ,they deserve it!🙂

33. By Marcelof on Sep 22, 2014 | Reply

we have a group of friend deep down in brazil who watch every Cardinals game – when it is broadcasted by local television – and we were really fired up this game, we do not live football as you do, but sure we got that spirit with a couple of ice-cold homemade beers and a back of chips while cards were heading to 3-0.

One day we will be there watching a live game at UoPS.

Great win Cards,
    Have we got our franchise QB for the years to come?
    When Palmer is done Stanton will be more than ready.

34. By br in nc on Sep 22, 2014 | Reply

Marcelof,
    You mean to tell me that Cardinal games are televised in Brazil, as in South America, not some small town named after the country of Brazil, that is actually located in Arizona???
    If it is South America, please don’t get me wrong, I’am very happy for you and your friends, but something is wrong with this picture when I can’t get a televised game in North Carolina!!! Damn the luck, I have to go back and try to remember which televised football God I upset, make amends, and maybe, just maybe, I could see my beloved Cardinals on TV, here in NC, USA!!!!!! Of course, I could see myself in Rio, watching the Cards kick azz on gameday, and try and find something to occupy my time the other 6 days of the week! Hmmm, what to do in Rio! LOL!!

35. By SteveG on Sep 22, 2014 | Reply

Honey Badger gets a good deal of press.

I don’t think that he needs any less press (HELL of a player), but Rashad J. and Tony J. sure do deserve more…Reason why Tyann is not rushed back? Cos’ the guys are playing lights out football ahead of him.

What a great game,,

Go Cards!!

36. By Terry Crossman on Sep 22, 2014 | Reply

Fred Garvin

Wow, another Cardinals fan in China! I have lived in Beijng since moving from Phoenix in 95 and haven’t missed a game the last two seasons – lots of tired Mondays!! 1am games, 4am games…Chargers game was great as it was during a public holiday and was 10am in the morning!! So friggin happy that we beat the Whiners… am so pleased with the team… wearing my Cardinals shirt at 4am and boy was it worthwhile…

37. By Marlin on Sep 22, 2014 | Reply

In your pre-game radio program, I thought that the broadcast team missed an opportunity to give the Cardinals organization some positive credit for acting so swiftly to remove the players who have had recent off field issues……and compare that to the Niners who have repeatedly exhibited just the opposite approach.

38. By Darren Urban on Sep 22, 2014 | Reply

Marlin —

RE: Radio/Dwyer situation

Honestly, should you be praised by doing what should be done in the first place?

As for SF, everything I have heard from those I know there is that the Niners are sure McDonald is innocent. Which is why they aren’t sitting him.

39. By br in nc on Sep 22, 2014 | Reply

Talking football x’s and P’s is exactly what needs to be done!! No need to mention off the field distractions, besides, the National media is running these story’s in the ground, to much coverage if you ask me!!
    In reference to McDonald, quite a few people insist he has not been charged with any crime as of yet. Seems far fetched, I thought if you are arrested.and go before a judge, then you have official charges on you? It seems in California, even though you are arrested. And brought before a judge doesn’t mean you have been charged with anything, they are adamant that you have only had a complaint taken out on you, and police now have to gather any evidence and decide whether to bring you up on charges, or drop the complaint. Kind of far fetched, I think it is just 49er fans making crap up, being “sea lawyers”, blowing smoke to keep from having to suspend yet another key player, they are stooping to new levels of BS just to keep a player on the field!! With the backlog of cases in CA, this case wont even be heard until after the SB!!

40. By Marlin on Sep 22, 2014 | Reply

VELDEER !!!!!

41. By Marlin on Sep 22, 2014 | Reply

At the game, kept a close eye on Jared Veldeer….this guys is making a HUGE difference for our team.

42. By br in nc on Sep 22, 2014 | Reply

Marlin, Totally agree with you!! The Front Office really did their homework on this one, remember all the jockeying that teams did prior to the start of free agency, and all the merry go round LT moves that were rumored, seems to me the Cardinals honed in on “their Guy”, stayed focused, brushed off the big names (ie…Albert) and went in with fair market value contract, which in my opinion has turned into a bargain, if he keeps playing at the level he is playing, we got a heck of a deal, and if he improves as expected, we got a steal, not to mention the Cardinals finally found a solid anchor at LT, after so many years of searching, plugging in different players, drafting very high for a replacement, SK takes over, looks around at the free agents to be and in his first off-season…NAILS IT, and we have an Anchor (possible pro bowl xmany years) at LT, I’m in awe!!

43. By joe 67 on Sep 22, 2014 | Reply

I am so glad Jim Harbaugh is not our coach!!!!!!!!!!!!!

44. By joe 67 on Sep 22, 2014 | Reply

I am so glad we only have to look at Bolden POUT once in a while. I got tired of his pouting when he was with us. Dislike it even more now. Always thought he looked and acted like a thug!

45. By 'ZonaFan on Sep 22, 2014 | Reply

Boldin is such a little punk, but I guess most of the 49ers are, so apparently it’s just par for the course… We deserved that game much more than they did, glad we took over in the 2nd half. It’s so good to put those clowns in their place!! Screw the Forty-Whiners, GO CARDINALS!!!!!

46. By Steve Weston on Sep 22, 2014 | Reply

What a great game! No QB controversy for me, I think Palmer is still the guy, but you know what, I feel a lot better about taking our time to find the ‘right’ quarterback for the long term knowing that when Palmer retires we’ll have Stanton to step in and guide the team as starter if we are still looking and/or grooming our young QB, whether it’s Logan Thomas or someone else. Not to mention the spectacular job he’s doing while Palmer is down right now, and should it happen again this season or next.

I do have to say, I’m awfully disappointed in Boldin. I remember him as very edgy when he played for the Cards, and though I didn’t like how it all played out in our run for the Superbowl and his exit from the team, I still respected him and wished him the best. Now I’m just not so sure…

BR in NC, I’m totally with you, my friend. I do enjoy listening to the game via NFL Field Pass (radio broadcast), and watching on Red Zone when they decide to pop over to the Cards game, but I’m really looking forward to seeing a few more full broadcasts out here in VA once our Cards start getting the national attention they deserve.

Let’s go Cards, keep up this winning mentality after your much needed rest this weekend and enjoy your 3-0 September! Let’s have a big game against the Broncos and get that 4th win to open out October!!!

47. By D on Sep 22, 2014 | Reply

This is by far the best Coaching staff Mr. B has hired here in AZ.

After that first half when SF and Colin was slicing up the defense, it showed the Cards lack of that Special LB on the team, but whatever adjustments made at halftime made that defense come out as a unit and prevailed…it was nice to see.

BA has so much respect from me as a coach with his record to date and his Bravado to still throw it deep with a backup QB…guy has guts..

Coach Horton Who???? Todd B is the man.

48. By BirdsSTC on Sep 22, 2014 | Reply

Drew Stanton, you are one tough SOB. Jefferson’s sack was quite possibly the play of the game. Go Red Birds!

49. By John The Draft Guy on Sep 22, 2014 | Reply

The Cards are 3-0 !!!!

Stanton played well today. Great reads on the TDs. The second TD to Brown was interesting. Fitz ran a short drag underneath for the first down. Both the safety and the CB followed Fitz leaving the niners safety locked up on John Brown, who blew by him. The safety immediately threw his hands up after the play, like where was my help. Even though Fitz didn’t catch a TD, he still made the play.

Wish Stanton could of hit the wide open Jaron Brown for a TD. A little more air Drew.

I love seeing the whiners lose their cool. Boldin and crew act just like their coach.

As for Jefferson, remember when everyone thought we needed a SS, including Keim, who drafted one in the first round. I think Tony has other ideas. This kid has played really well. Can’t see him giving up his spot.

As for Bucannon, I have said Bucannon has reminded me of ADub. And there are some things that are similar. But I watched Bucannon get flipped by Crabtree and it made me think back to just how great ADub was. He is much bigger and more physical, better blitzer and delivered a much bigger hit. ADub is not getting flipped by Crab, instead crab would be on the sideline gathering his senses if ADub had a free shot. I really like Bucannon’s game, but I think it is unfair to compare him to a guy going in the Ring.

Fitz seems to be a decoy and blocker now. Not sure why BA has done this.

Bowles can take a HS team and make it work. The cards defense was confused and out of sync till Bowles made his adjustments. Making teams one dimensional , taking away the run and pressing the receivers, took SF right out of their game.

Three games the cards were behind, three times they found ways to win. So much better than the cards of the early 90’s who found every which way to lose games.

Still wish we had a pass rusher. Going up against Peyton, it would help.

Hope Cro is OK. He can play. He should have had that pick 6 though.

Rashad Johnson is playing really well.

Honey Badger seems like he still is in pre season mode. He still isn’t 100%.When he is, this team will get even better.

50. By br in nc on Sep 22, 2014 | Reply

JTDG,
    Thanks for the analysis, I was starting to have withdrawals, you too D!!!
    Just one thing, ADub was a rookie once upon a time, and as a rookie Crabtree and other quality WR’s took him to “school” from time t time, Bucannon will learn the ropes, take his. Lumps, and learn from them, and be a key contributor on this team, plus he plays a hybrid LB as a bonus. At least that is what it seems to me from what I read, hopefully our success will continue, and NBC will pick up a couple of our games for Sunday Night Football. (Man an I selfish, or what! )
    Oh, almost forgot, Bucannon can’t fail, his daddy was a MARINE!!!! “Fail” is not in the official Marine Corps dictionary!! LOL!

51. By John The Draft Guy on Sep 22, 2014 | Reply

As for controversy,

Palmer is clearly the guy. As soon as he is healthy, he should start.

As for next year, with Palmers contract essentially done, that is where it gets interesting.

I do have to say, I was praying for Drew to get up after the big hit knowing Thomas was coming in.

52. By br in nc on Sep 22, 2014 | Reply

Oh yee of little faith!!!
    Thomas is our QB of the future sir!!
    (That is of course unless we some how end up with my man from ECU!! Did you happen to see him destroy UNC Saturday?? Bet Cooper was majorly bummed out!!
    Don’t forget the name…Shane Carden (he reminds me so much of Bottles, the more I watch him, the more I see Bottles, with a sprinkling of another ECU QB, David Garrard)

53. By Big Ken on Sep 22, 2014 | Reply

Coach Harbaugh looking like he wished he were coaching the Cleveland Browns. Having to get into Anquan’s face and all.

54. By Fan in Chi Town on Sep 22, 2014 | Reply

Be in nc –

If you’re that desperate to see a Cards game, you can always go to your local Buffalo Wild Wings and ask to see it. Just make sure to tip your server or bartender a little extra for taking up a chair so long😉

And to all that like to talk negatively about Boldin, I don’t think you should. He was an excellent receiver for many years for us and from all accounts a good teammate. He was angry because Fitz was doing the same job he had been and getting paid double his salary. That’s like if you were in line for a promotion at your job, but the new kid that’s ten years younger got it instead. Obviously that would cause some toxicity in the work environment.

55. By br in nc on Sep 25, 2014 | Reply

Except the closest BWW is over an hour away, I live in eastern NC, close to the coast, not much out here!! LOL!!
    Was born and raised in Illinois though! I see your board name of Chi town, you must not have been born their, otherwise you would be a bears fan??? Not that I’m complaining, much rather you be a Cardinal fan, I myself pull for all the St Louis franchise, except I’m a diehard ILLINI fan!! Don’t even like the sound of the bears, cubs, blackhawks, whitesox…cmon who the heck came up with those names!!! LOL!!

56. By Dr. G. on Sep 22, 2014 | Reply

See what winning does? It even brings out the fair weather fans… Welcome aboard to the kick-some-booty train…be well

57. By John The Draft Guy on Sep 22, 2014 | Reply

br in nc

The more you see him the more you see BOTTLES??? Ah, that might be the problem, to many bottles.🙂

I know you mean Bortles.

I have not seen Carden.
    Who is the toughest team on the schedule?

58. By br in nc on Sep 25, 2014 | Reply

JTDG –

Sorry for the late response I didn’t see your post till just now.
    Yes I meant Bortles, and you guessed it…autocorrect!!!
    ECU’s toughest games are over, they had South Carolina on the ropes, but lost that one, then beat Virginia Tech (who beat #8 Ohio St, then of course they demolished. UNC, they don’t play any cupcake team, their out of conference schedule is tougher than the conference schedule, they are in that new American Conference, this is their first year

59. By Scott H on Sep 22, 2014 | Reply

Hey, Anquan, I love ya man, but….live by the sword, die by the sword. Looks like Jefferson played your game pretty damn well yesterday. Like they say – sometimes you play the game, sometimes the game plays you. C’mon, man. You can’t head-butt another player and expect the refs to let it go. That said, I will ALWAYS love Q for the way he plays the game.

LOVE this Brown kid ( Smoky )!!! I love that he is already talking like he knows how to set up a defender. THAT is special for a rookie WR. People are gonna know who he is before long, that’s for sure. But the longer he remains our little secret, the better.

And while it is somewhat disheartening to see Fitz not having the kind of days we’re used to around here, make no mistake – his presence on that field IS helping Floyd and Brown have the success they’re having right now. Anyone who might be thinking the torch has been passed, we don’t need him anymore is not seeing the whole picture.

60. By Scott H on Sep 22, 2014 | Reply

Ya know….looking ahead, with Palmer’s contract being up after this year, it is NOT a bad thing that we are getting to see what Stanton might be able to do with this offense. It would be one thing if he were playing pretty well, putting up some decent numbers, not really hurting the team….but the team was not winning. Instead, he is playing VERY well, putting up SOLID numbers ( numbers that are devoid of turnovers, I might add ), he is helping the team by allowing the team to do EVERYTHING it wants to do on offense…and the team is 2-0 in his two starts.

I won’t get crazy after 2 games in terms of this season ( I fully expect Palmer to resume playing when he is able ) OR next. But…the kid is making a case for some whispers to be heard from the back of the room.

61. By italycardfan on Sep 22, 2014 | Reply

Congratulations for his article, Mr. Urban. Last night, while watching the game, and now, reading his article, I am convinced that the word that comes closest to our team is harmony.
    Good evening to all from Italy!

62. By Lauren Hale on Sep 23, 2014 | Reply

I really have to mention this. Remember when Peyton Manning came to AZ and everyone was excited that he may possibly come to the cards. Man am I glad he went with the broncos. What a real blessing in disguise.

63. By Scott H on Sep 23, 2014 | Reply

Lauren –

I’m sorry, I just have to ask – what exactly makes you so glad Peyton Manning didn’t come here??? His setting the single season record for TD passes last year? His taking the Broncos to the SB? The probability that he takes his team to the SB again this year?

I’m at a loss, I really am.

I am very happy with the Cardinals just as they are right now, don’t get me wrong. But with the way this defense played last year….if Peyton Manning had been leading our offense, the Cardinals would have AT THE MINIMUM been in the NFC title game. Would anyone dispute that??? Again, why would you have NOT wanted to see that???

64. By br in nc on Sep 25, 2014 | Reply

Scot H

I’m with you!! I love what CP has done, but you are right, Manning would have fit perfectly in our offense, and with all the weapons, if we didn’t make the SB last year, I think this year would have been a shoe in!! Don’t know how we would have fit him in our cap space, but worry about that after he signs!!! I didn’t get my hopes up though, I kept telling myself we have an outside chance at Manning, so that I wouldn’t have to fall to hard when he signed elsewhere!! LOL!
    PS….Ithought the Titans were going to win the Manning sweepstakes, honestly.!!!!

65. By Scott H on Sep 25, 2014 | Reply

br in nc –

Well, the Broncos managed to fit him Manning under their cap, THEN went out and landed Wes Welker and kept an awful lot of other talent on that roster. And they were big spenders this year in FA, so…there is obviously a way to make that work.

2. Sep 22, 2014: OU football: Tony Jefferson making an impact with Arizona Cardinals | Lindsey and Jenkins
  3. Sep 26, 2014: Cardinals Blogs | At 3-0, Friday before the bye