Cards add RB Grice, cut Butler

Posted by Darren Urban on September 23, 2014 – 9:37 am

The Cardinals have added a local favorite, signing running back Marion Grice from Arizona State off the Chargers’ practice squad on a two-year contract. To make room, they released punter Drew Butler, in the assumption Dave Zastudil will be able to get healthy over the bye week and finally be rid of his groin issues. Grice looked good against the Cardinals in the preseason finale running for the Chargers (17 carries for 79 yards), and given San Diego’s running back injuries — Danny Woodhead was lost for the season this Sunday in the latest blow — it was thought Grice would be promoted. Instead, Grice comes back to Arizona, where he scored 20 touchdowns in just 11 games for the Sun Devils last season.

Grice was a sixth-round pick of San Diego.

The move gives the Cardinals five running backs on the roster: Andre Ellington, Stepfan Taylor, Robert Hughes and Jalen Parmele join the 6-0, 207-pound Grice.

Marion Grice

Tags: ,

50 Responses to “Cards add RB Grice, cut Butler”

1. By carlitos7000 on Sep 23, 2014 | Reply

i m happy of this signing
    but i doubt they will keep 5 rb
    darren yesterday keim mentioned they still looking for an olb
    and even trade option
    do u think a rb like parmele could be cut to make room for a pass rusher?

2. By Darren Urban on Sep 23, 2014 | Reply

Carlitos —

RE: Pass rusher

The bottom of the roster will always be churning.

3. By C on Sep 23, 2014 | Reply

Darren, would the Chargers have “first dibs” to promote Grice, rather than the Cards picking him off the PS? If Keim & Co. picked him up before the Chargers could promote him, that would be some shrewd business.. I’m just not sure if that’s how it works.

Thanks!

4. By Darren Urban on Sep 23, 2014 | Reply

C —

RE: PS promotion

It’s player’s choice. There is no “first dibs” if you are on the practice squad. Normally players don’t want to up and move and would rather stay with the system they’ve been in, but they have the choice.

5. By br in nc on Sep 23, 2014 | Reply

Grice? That is where I know the name, did he go to AU or ASU? (please forgive the ignorance I’m not into west coast college ball) he was in last years draft, right? Didn’t both of the big schools out their have RB’s that were talented enough to play on Sunday’s? Was Grice drafted, or signed after the draft?

6. By br in nc on Sep 23, 2014 | Reply

I just answered my own question by going back and reading Darren’s story with my glasses on!! (Damn I’m getting old, never used to have glasses to read!!) Didn’t AU have a RB who was considered a talent and possible mid round pick last year as well??
    Darren, now that we signed him off of another teams practice squad he has to remain on our 53 man roster for awhile right? But he can be one of the inactives on Sundays? I know I have asked you how long he must remain on the roster, I just can’t find the post, sorry, my memory gets worse every damn year! LOL!)

7. By Darren Urban on Sep 23, 2014 | Reply

BR –

RE: PS

Yes, has to be on the roster three weeks. Can be inactive.

8. By kauaicardsfan on Sep 23, 2014 | Reply

Your the Man Kiem !!!! The Chargers didnt even see it coming !!!!
    I love this !!! Always looking to get better at every position !!!

The whole staff and team is moving like a well oiled Machine !!! FULL SPEED AHEAD!!!

GO CARDS!

9. By Kurt on Sep 23, 2014 | Reply

great signing, great move

10. By Richard on Sep 23, 2014 | Reply

Darren, In your opinion does the release of Butler also signal that Zastudil will play in Denver? If i recall they’ve cut butler before only to resign him. Also I really like the acquisition of Grice I think he is a lot more talented than Parmele. Will he see the “big back” role between the tackles and on short yardage situations? is S. Taylor in the doghouse?

11. By Darren Urban on Sep 23, 2014 | Reply

Richard –

RE: Zastudil/Grice

No idea on Grice. We haven’t had any availability since he was signed.

As for Zastudil, we’ll see. I suppose they could go back to Butler if needed. That’s more than a week away, though.

12. By BirdsSTC on Sep 23, 2014 | Reply

br in nc-

There is no AU out here, just UA. Grice went to ASU. Ka’Deem Carey was from Arizona, and God I wish he was playing for us.

13. By br in nc on Sep 23, 2014 | Reply

UA. Sorry, my bad, see, I’m not a west coast college football Guy. But I want to get it right, don’t want to insult anyone (guess it makes a huge difference, AU to me on the east coast would be Auburn, stupid mistake sir!) I find myself correcting people who say Marine Corps, and they pronounce the “S” so it sound like “corpse”, drive me bonkers!! Constantly telling them the “S” is silent! I know Marines are supposed to die, but pronouncing it “corpse” is just creepy!! Plus I have the same issues with Illinois, it is UI not IU, that is our sworn enemy Indiana!! So again, sorry, was not intentional, I should have known better being an ILLINI fan.

14. By azdesertrat1953 on Sep 23, 2014 | Reply

Marion Grice from Arizona State is one Happy camper today, I’ll bet.
    He’ll has AZ Cardinal Red on and He’s Home.

GO CARDS!!!

15. By azdesertrat1953 on Sep 23, 2014 | Reply

Yes I know his home town is Houston Texas, he has been here at ASU for only two years, seems longer, but it seems to me he is now Home, with the Cards.

GO CARDS!!!

16. By Brian D. Crum on Sep 23, 2014 | Reply

I would think that the 3 & 0 standing of the of the Cardinals might work in Keim’s favor when looking for a pass rusher or just to build depth with good talent. Those good players out there that are with weaker teams may want to move toward a winning organization. Darren…to your knowledge, do you know if player’s agents contact our GM when their client may have interest in playing for the Cards or does Keim initiate those discussions?

17. By Darren Urban on Sep 23, 2014 | Reply

Brian —

RE: Contact

It can go both ways.

18. By georgiebird on Sep 23, 2014 | Reply

Cards seem to be making all the right moves- only time will tell. The leadership of BA & SK and MB might be the best in Cardinals’ history; let’s hope the results justify all the hard work and we can BASK in the sun of post-season games.
    While no one can compare offensively to the great Don Coryell, the Cards of today seem to have all aspects of the game covered.
    The building of the new Stadium and associated facilities stands as the cornerstone for attracting good talent to the organization (Coryell shared a Stadium).
    If we can only improve upon that one defensive group (that I won’t mention in this rather positive post) then the Cards should annihilate the 7.5 game over/under set up by the experts at the beginning of the year.

19. By br in nc on Sep 23, 2014 | Reply

You have to admit that the defense is playing better, and is still stout against the run, doing all these things Shorthanded, with quite a few key losses, nobody could have predicted our defense playing this good after all the player loses we have taken!! (At least not outside our Birdgang…which to me includes us rabid fans!!

20. By br in nc on Sep 23, 2014 | Reply

Still not getting any RESPECT!! Bleacher Reports Matt Millers Power Rankings have Cardinals #7 by far the lowest ranked 3-0 team!! He has the Chargers#5, (excuse me, but didn’t we beat the Chargers!!) Still has Seattle and Denver #1 & #2, the 3 undefeated teams scattered in the top 10, what a joke!!! So, Mr Miller, once we take care of business against Denver you think you might find it in your heart to put us in the top 5, at the very least!
    We do have to invent some kind of serious pass rush for Denver though, if we can’t get to Manning, he will make us pay dearly!!! Not a Manning fan (from dad on down) but he is one hell of a QB, can’t give a unanimous first ballot HOF’er time in the pocket to pick and choose his receivers, he will shred us to ribbons!

21. By Geo on Sep 23, 2014 | Reply

Darren

would the Cardinals look at Adrian Wilson as an option at pass rusher he is strong enough and where he may not have long distance speed he may have the strength and ability to get to the QB?

22. By Darren Urban on Sep 23, 2014 | Reply

Geo —

RE: Wilson

Adrian will not be playing for the Cardinals.

23. By br in nc on Sep 23, 2014 | Reply

Thinking the Cardinals may want to sign ADub Darren, it sure would make your job of responding that there is ZERO chance that he plays for Cardinals ever again!!
    Or you could just start every blog or article that you write with a standard blurb…something along these lines – Adrian Wilson did not resign with the Cardinals since my last post, nor will he resign prior to my next post. LOL! To funny, well one thing is for sure, he is beloved in Arizona, and rightfully so, but everyone has got to understand, it just isn’t going to happen!! 🙂

24. By cardinalchris on Sep 23, 2014 | Reply

I was surprised Grice made it through waivers for San Diego to put him on the practice squad in the first place. Excited to see this signing! Not sure how he pass protects, but he looked great as a runner in the preseason.

25. By br in nc on Sep 23, 2014 | Reply

CardinalChris
    You have to consider the fact that the RB position is a shell of itself from just a decade ago, the NFL game has evolved into a pass happy league. I for one miss the hell out of the between the tackles smashmouth run the ball down the defenses throat, they say everything eventually comes full circle, so hopefully the lost art of the star RB will return, someday soon!! Hopefully Grice can become a key contributor! 2 observations, first: I think if he can show something in practice, Parmalee will be cut prior to Denver game, can’t see us having 5 RB’s on the roster. Two: Grice looks a lot smaller in the picture above than his official measurements (as a matter of fact, he looks like Darren. Sproles in that picture, maybe camera angle, or the fact I might be going blind! But he sure doesn’t look like the beast that he used to look like in pictures, especially in his ASU uniform.

26. By Richard S on Sep 23, 2014 | Reply

Groin injuries can take a while to heal. I pulled a muscle taking a high hurdle without warming up properly. My high school track coach didn’t believe I was hurting (he told me to join the cheer squad – track doesn’t have a cheer squad – because I walked normally and could jog) until he finally told me that if I didn’t run that day, I wouldn’t letter, so I ran and initially nearly ran over our best 440 guy and then limped my way around the rest of the track. Then the coach told me I should just take it easy the rest of the year. It took a long while to heal. New numbers based on predicted results vs. actual for the week reduced by a factor of 10. 12 out of 16 right this week. Neutral field ratings – add 3 to home team for predicted result. Parenthesis show intial season rating 1. Seattle(1) 101.64 2. Cincy (5) 100.24 3a. NE (3) 97.96 3b. Denver (4) 97.96 5. San Fran (2) 97.9 6. Az (8) 96.65 7. NO(6) 96.57 8. SD (10) 96.28 9. Carolina (7) 94.86 10. Indy (13) 93.91 11. Phil (9) 93.65 12. Atl (19) 93.18 13. Pitt (11) 93.17 14. KC (14) 92.21 15. Det (15) 91.75 16. Balt (17) 91.2 17. Dall (20) 90.92 18. Chi (24) 90.33 19. Minn (18) 90.09 20. Buff (23) 89.3 21. Rams (12) 89.1 22. G Bay (16) 88.58 23. Giants (22) 86.97 24. Mia (21) 86.73 25. Cle (28) 86.44 26. Tenn (27) 85.53 27. Wash (30) 85.17 28. Jets (26) 85.13 29. Hou (29) 83.97 30. Tampa (25) 82.83 31. Oak (31) 80.48 32. Jax (32) 75.25

27. By Mike G on Sep 23, 2014 | Reply

Hey Darren–Hope all is well in Cardinal Territory! It should be –they played a fine game on Sunday. Was really surprised again by Stanton – he played great took care of the football. Offensive line was strong as well! Really a total team effort -thought the defense did really well in adjusting to the spread offense that the 49ers began the game with. Jefferson was a standout player on the defense and Bowles called a great game. The Cardinals have a fine coaching staff plenty of experience on both sides of the ball. Really feel they are teaching the players how to win and be a discipline football team. With their injuries and the Dwyer episode it shows you they are focused on their football games. Good time for a bye week–with some of the injuries the players have. They will have to be full force with a road game at Denver coming up. Darren–I feel Catanzaro on these deep kickoffs are really aiding the Cardinal defense–Opposition has a longer field to travel as compared to prior years–Remember the Niner game last year a short kickoff allowed the Niners to beat the Cards 23-20 after the Cards tied the game. He is a weapon! Kicking at Denver in 2 weeks–he should put every kick out of the end zone with that altitude at Mile High! What do you think????

28. By Darren Urban on Sep 23, 2014 | Reply

Mike G —

RE: Kickoffs

I think kickoffs were a big reason why they were trying to move on from Feely.

29. By Louisville Card on Sep 23, 2014 | Reply

Hi Darren,

What’s you’re over under on how many more years you have to answer if Wilson is coming back…

30. By Darren Urban on Sep 23, 2014 | Reply

Louisville —

RE: Wilson

I have to know when he’s actually going to retire. That is the main thing to plug into the equation …

31. By Dr. G. on Sep 23, 2014 | Reply

Aaah, Marion Grice….another pass-catching RB who can play a little bigger than Ells… Who will Keim come up with next… Our scouting is stupendous! The Chargers must love their 4 RB’s to let him get away…a numbers game. I am betting, sans injury, this guy will make his MARK…college stats are very good.

Looking at 4 or 5 legit NFL power rankings today, the Cards are an average of #3 on all those lists. NFL – CBS – ESPN – USA…etc… and #2 on one of them. The Broncos look scary, but if we can keep Peyton on the bench and run the clock, this is a winnable task…

It now looms large that the rest of our DIV games are in the last half of the season. Cards have a tough schedule until then, but this is not 2012; Keim, BA, and Bowles are in the “believing business.” We’ll be ready… What an exciting prospect! …later

32. By Scott H on Sep 23, 2014 | Reply

Geez, I’m looking at the names we have at RB and I’m not seeing ANYONE doing ANYTHING once you get past Ellington. We need to start getting some help from some of these other guys. Stefan Taylor, where the hell have YOU been, man??? I was really happy with the signing of Dwyer way back when and HE was giving us something. Need more from this group.

PLEASE let Zastudil be back for the Denver game!

33. By Scott H on Sep 23, 2014 | Reply

For what it is worth, I think it is ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS that the Eagles are pretty much universally being ranked ahead of the Cardinals right now. WHAT, exactly, justifies that??? Seriously, WHAT? Both teams are 3-0. Both teams have been behind in all three games only to come back to win. OK, even so far. But 2 of the 3 games the Eagles have won have been at home against weaker teams ( Jaguars and Redskins ). The Eagles were EXPECTED to win those games AND either of them OR BOTH could have been losses. The Cardinals have ABSOLUTELY played a more difficult schedule, beating two legit teams at home AND winning their other game on the East coast, which is never easy for a team from the west. It’s not even close, the Cardinals have DEFINITELY played a tougher schedule so far.

To go further into it, the Eagles are just NOW starting to lose some key players to injuries. Really? Gee, what a shame. Hate to tell ya, but the Cardinals had already lost several key players before Week 1 even kicked off.

The Eagles are winning games with their STARTING QB. The Cardinals are winning games with their BACK-UP QB.

When you put it all on the scale, the Cardinals have been SOOOO much more impressive than the Eagles in getting to 3-0. But…that’s the dumb-ass national media for ya. ALWAYS way too inclined to favor some teams, for whatever reason, while they fail to recognize others.

Man, I want that game against the Eagles SOOOO friggin bad….

34. By br in nc on Sep 23, 2014 | Reply

Scott H
    I posted earlier about these so called power rankings, so damn frustrating!! But in a way it can be a good motivator, hang all the articles and rankings on the players lockers, would piss off quite a few players!!
    Bleacher Reports Matt Miller has us #8, with the Chargers a couple spots ahead of us, pretty sure we beat the Chargers, I know my memory ain’t that bad!! LOL! The 3 teams that are 3-0 are ranked below Both Seattle & Denver!! The rankings are such a joke!!

35. By Seth on Sep 23, 2014 | Reply

Calm down lol. No one remembers the week 3 power rankings they remember Super Bowl winners. That’s where I’d rather earn my respect.

36. By Kevin S Mesa on Sep 23, 2014 | Reply

Georgiebird,

Re: over/under — Remember that when the “experts” in Vegas set the line, they are not trying to predict how many wins a team will actually have. They are trying to predict what number of wins will cause both sides of the wager to have equal action. That way they have no exposure.

So the Vegas experts are essentially trying to predict what the other experts will think.

Having said that, it does appear that they set the line too low for AZ as the “over” bet moved to around -140 pretty quickly.

I did get my bet in on the over. 🙂 Of course I also bet the over in 2012 as well and was feeling pretty good after we started 4-0.

37. By Big Ken on Sep 23, 2014 | Reply

Ha Chargers released Lawrence Guy who was on there active roster and had some snaps this season. As a DE he might be worth a look. I guess the Chargers are down on ASU kids.

38. By br in nc on Sep 23, 2014 | Reply

At 6-4/318 lbs he is molded more as a DT, I believe he is more of a Tommy Kelly type of player, he carries to much weight to be effective as a DE, plus he has been unable to stick with one team (Chargers were #4 or #5 team in 3 years, and a lot of that was practice Squad, on the other hand, SK &BA love keeping that bottom 5 on the roster churning (I have learned to love that theory in a little over a year!!!) you just never know what you will find when you turn over that rock, the more you flip the better your chances are of finding that big juicy oyster under it, that has that priceless Pearl inside!! (Yes, I’m well aware that oyster analogy is very weak, figured it was time to change it up a bit. LOL) He might be worth a look, see what he brings to the table, I really don’t think we are going to carry 5 RB’s, especially since AE gets the majority of the work, so they could release Parmalee, or Hughes and give Guy a try.

Can anyone tell me if Hughes is eligible for the practice squad? (Thinking if he is, we could release him, hope he clears waivers, which I think he has a pretty good chance of clearing, then sign him to PS)

39. By Fred Garvin on Sep 23, 2014 | Reply

Lots of people hung up on rankings -they don’t matter. They are just for fun and to generate discussions like they have.

The only thing that matters is making it to Glendale for the SB. Cards take care of business and we’ll make it there!

40. By Dynosoar on Sep 23, 2014 | Reply

Louisville Card,

after Wilson is in the Hall of Fame, I think he’ll get about 50% of the questions. Actually, I’d love to see Donavan and Adrian on the team. Darren, do you think…Haha. Sorry.

41. By Scott H on Sep 23, 2014 | Reply

br –

Hey, bro. I hear ya. Not that these “power” rankings really mean anything. It’s just something to stir up discussion and debate. But they get my back up sometimes. It has been my sense that up ’til now, people have been sorta’ downgrading the Cardinals because maybe they don’t believe they’re for real and they expect them to start falling off any week now. Well….not happening! These Cardinals just keep coming!

Hey. let these so-called experts keep falling all over the Seahawks ( whom the Cardinals beat the last time around ), the Eagles, Broncos, Chargers ( whom the Cardinals beat already this year ), Bengals….whatever. They’re all very good teams. But these experts don’t decide who makes the playoffs at the end of the year.

To give NFL.com some credit, they DID put the three 3-0 teams in the top three spots. Of course, they felt the Eagles should be ahead of the Cardinals, which is a joke. But for the Cardinals to be anywhere other than in the top three right now is just ridiculous.

42. By br in nc on Sep 23, 2014 | Reply

Scott
    I’m with you, I realize they aren’t worth the paper they are printed on, or in most cases nowadays, the storage space needed to keep them in the archives!
    But what gets me, is the lack of RESPECT that the Cardinals can’t seem to shake!! As a lifelong Cards diehard I realize our past plays into that lack of respect, but by Godot should be just about time to start throwing some of it our way, to be honest, some should have been trickling in when WHIZ was here, and now that BA & SK have taken the ball and ran, nay, sprinted with it, the respect should be pouring in, with a capital “R”!! I mean what are we, something like 11-2 or 10-2 going back to mid season last year, and most teams taking the major hits we have, especially on defense, would have folded, there rankings on both sides of the ball would have dropped like a rock, not improved as ours have or at least improved in some categories, with a chance to finish higher overall this season, and I can’t say enough about how much our. Depth ha improved, absolutely light years ahead of what our depth used to be over the years. At least players are starting to give the Cardinals some respect!! I don’t know how advanced in years you are, or how long you have been a Cardinal football fan, (I actually started as a St Louis Cardinal fan, dating myself but oh well.) but used to be free agents would avoid the Cards like the plague, or they would use us as leverage to cash in with another team! I do realize that BB was not a fan of opening his checkbook at all, but even on the rare occasions when he would pry it open, it rarely helped!! Players that we drafted would play out their rookie contract and run like hell to another team, at times it was embarrassing dude!! Nowadays, different story, I’m sure you have been a fanatic long enough to see the flood of free agents coming in and actually making the Cards their first choice, and trying to recruit friends, and fellow teammates who are free agents as well,players we draft are genuinely excited about being part of what the Arizona Cardinals are trying to do, so maybe, just maybe, it is time for the media, and these so called experts to start throwing some respect where it is deserved, out here in Birdland! (Perfect example of no respect, outside of us rabid fans, only 1 so called expert picked us to beat SF! Thank you Michael Irvin! Pretty sure it was him) (Perfect example of players respect, Grice was on Chargers PS and they were down to just 2 RB’s he would have got mad playing time with SD for sure, plus he knows the Playbook already, wouldn’t have to move at all, yet he chose our beloved Cardinals, becoming 5th RB on roster, has to learn Playbook, find a place to live, and may not see the field on Sundays, nobody can convince me that he made his decision so he could be back to his “college home”, no sir, that is respect, he respects what we are trying to do here, also respects the staff, thinking they can coach him up and he can end up playing a key roll for the Cards!!
    OK, so I just rambled right on through the bye week almost!! Sorry ladies and gentlemen, I just don’t have the gift of condensing. my posts into short, clear, concise posts, I’m just not that smart!!

43. By georgiebird on Sep 23, 2014 | Reply

The reason the Cards don’t get a lot of respect is because the wins are mostly close calls. In the college ranks, teams set up some easy prey so they can get the attention of the pollsters- can’t do that in the pros.
    Cards are 3-0 and in each game the loser had a chance to win. That doesn’t always impress the “experts”.
    For too many years, I watched games saying “we should have won that game”. Well, it’s a lot better to win those games and let others cast doubt.

44. By CreditCard on Sep 23, 2014 | Reply

Hats off to Drew Butler. He filled in nicely and did respectable. Getting Zastudil back will be plus — he has a knack with the back spin on the ball and pinning the ball inside the 20 along with a strong leg.

Logical pick-up in Marion Grice. S/b a good addition to the team. Hopefully he also has good special team skills, like blocking, tackling, and hustling.

45. By Andrew P. on Sep 23, 2014 | Reply

Sweet!! Asked about this yesterday, great addition to the team.😀

46. By MartinK on Sep 24, 2014 | Reply

The new enforcement of rules regarding contact down field adds to the demise of the running game in that it makes pass plays more likely to succeed and therefore more attractive in a statistical sense. There is also a shift to dual threat players like Ellington who provide balance as they have to be accounted for as a runner when they line up in the back field. But regardless of the shifts in strategy I do believe that you have to be good at both to be a top team in football.
    Teams who have a passing game, and can also switch to run, seemingly on demand, and move the chains on second down, are still sure Superbowl contenders. And until we can do that consistently it does not matter how many times we beat Seattle at home.
    That’s why I think it is great to have Marion Grice, especially if he can hit some holes in a hurry on the inside. I was hoping to see some running behind Coop on the OL this year.

47. By Eazy E on Sep 24, 2014 | Reply

I checked out Grice a little during our game 4 in the preseason and albeit against guys that mostly probably got cut unfortunately, he did pretty well we’ll see. Looks like a big boy though. Maybe he can take Jonathan’s spot for the time being until his legal issues are solved(praying for him).

48. By Eazy E on Sep 24, 2014 | Reply

Whew, I thought it was Victor… I was like WTF with our pass rush… Sorry Drew but he may be back if Dave can’t shake his groin injury soon.

49. By Coach K on Sep 24, 2014 | Reply

Excellent move signing Grice. Also, I think it’s time to move Coop back into the left guard position. Larsen is getting his ass kicked out there. Time to get Coop back into the fold.

50. By Dr. G. on Sep 24, 2014 | Reply

Cards Fans – – As for the power ratings, it doesn’t mean anything this early in the season, but the Cards seems to get no respect until after a big win. I like to hear the media guys talk about the Cards on TV…ratings do that.

The TV guys love to talk about Seattle, Green Bay and the Cowgirls…good or bad… And again, I welcome those of you who would like to cheer for my 2 favorite teams – – the Cards and whoever is playing the Cowboys! G’day…