For Cards, the lure of a London game

Posted by Darren Urban on September 29, 2014 – 10:48 am

Cardinals president Michael Bidwill attended the NFL’s London game over the weekend between the Raiders and Dolphins. The idea was to see first-hand what the league is doing in England as they export a few games there each year. Interestingly, he told fans there as he sat on a panel discussion (reported by MMQB.com) he would like the Cardinals to play in London again — they played a preseason game there in 1983, opening the exhibition schedule against the Vikings — but “as the visiting team.” No doubt the Cardinals would be loathe to surrender a home game now that a) University of Phoenix Stadium sells out every game and b) the Cardinals now have a noticeable home-field advantage.

Besides, the Cardinals have already done the give-up-a-home-game-to-export-a-game-that counts thing. That came in 2005, when the Cardinals figured it was worth being part of the first NFL regular-season game outside of the United States and moved their home game against the 49ers that year to Mexico City. Made sense. The Cardinals got to have a game in which they would set the NFL record at the time for attendance at more than 100,000 and get ESPN exposure on a Sunday night game in exchange for losing a date at Sun Devil Stadium that figured at best to draw 35,000 or so.

It also makes sense that it’s the Raiders and Jaguars that play these London games, with bad stadium situations and a willingness to give up home games. The Cards could have been on the slate for a London game the past couple of years. We’ll see if it comes true anytime soon — as a visitor, of course.

mexicogriffithshotuse

Tags: ,

21 Responses to “For Cards, the lure of a London game”

1. By Andy Kw on Sep 29, 2014 | Reply

Any chance on a Beanie Wells comeback ?

2. By Darren Urban on Sep 29, 2014 | Reply

Andy Kw —

RE: Beanie

Not here.

With his knee issues, I doubt anywhere.

3. By David Garhart on Sep 29, 2014 | Reply

I always hated these Cardinals games away in other countries…

1) I am a fan and actually enjoy watching our Cardinals here at home (this is why I buy season tickets).

2) whenever they play these games they typically shaft us season ticket holders and charge us for all 10 games anyway.

3) while I wouldn’t mind games on foreign soil, I have a problem paying for it. The expense of each team woll drastically increase with travel expenses and you know that will get passed on to us season ticket holders in some way, shape or form.

4. By Dynosoar on Sep 29, 2014 | Reply

I’m not a fan of moving games outside of the United States, However, professional/national soccer teams do this all the time. not just for the World Cup, but for CONCACAAF and “exhibition” games. It is good for the “real” futball, so why not for the “American” football.

I applaud the “not as the home team.” If we’re going to do this. Why not take it to Italy to our friend there? We should do that for Italycardfan. We also have a couple fans in China. Let’s go there. We could have a video of Darnell and others eating China’s delicacies like fried scorpion.

5. By Dynosoar on Sep 29, 2014 | Reply

Scott H, (and anyone else that misunderstood my post regarding completion % a few blogs ago)

First. I don’t play Fantasy. Tried it one season and came to hate it. I have two brothers that don’t understand, and that’s where we seem to be, you didn’t understand me and neither did 5 other thumbs downers. And that’s ok and why I’m here.

Regarding your response to me a couple blogs ago, I really don’t know how to properly respond. You even swore? How did I earn that? Obviously you did not hear what I was saying. If I understood you you think I wish Derek Anderson was back here.

Furthest from the truth. Look at all my posts regarding him, he even had a game here at 20% and I called out the coaches on having a sub 50% QB because it has always been obvious 60% or better get’s a birth in the playoffs (yes, there are exceptions, but they are few which is why they’re exceptions). But I also will credit when it’s due and 70% is not easily attained, even for one game and not from a sub 50%er.

to be continued…

6. By Dynosoar on Sep 29, 2014 | Reply

Scott H (continued)

If I understand you correctly, you think I hang everything on completion percentage. That would be why I included Derek Anderson to begin with and said, “interestingly”. The majority (8 to 10) playoff teams each year have a QB with over 60% completion. I found it interesting that Anderson had over 70% BECAUSE We Do Know what he brought to the table.

Again, the majority of playoff teams have a completion over 60%. As to Stanton’s game, did you not see I wrote that he had improved from one game to the next? And what kind of score would it have been if he’d have improved to above 60%? With a few more games I believe he could, but Palmer appears to be back so we probably won’t know.

We all like BA’s style, so this post is the first part. Not knowing when I’m coming to Phoenix area, the second part may never happen. Please understand this, I didn’t like Anderson then and don’t want him now. Reread what I wrote. I ended with if we could have BA and 70% that would be awesome, then followed with not calling for Anderson to return, but for our three QB’s to get above 70%. I guarantee the coaching staff would love that as well and so would the Cardinals side of the scoreboard.

Especially if that completion percentage is not just behind the scrimmage line with screens and occurs in the Red Zone. That’s one thing that made Warner so great; he had the highest completion within the Red Zone.

7. By Dynosoar on Sep 29, 2014 | Reply

Scott H (the last part, whew!)

I believe you’re correct, completion percentage by itself is not a totally accurate measurement, but it is a measurement and a valid one and I don’t have access to breakdowns of field position and downs that those completions occur on. We know completions within the Red Zone and for first down conversions are more valuable than completions for short yardage on first or second down leading to third and long and a punt.

Where you got that I wanted Anderson back I don’t know. Perhaps read a post beyond a buzz word or two and then instead of attacking me, realize we all want the same thing. A ring and the Lombardi.

I hope I am clear in this post since I apparently wasn’t in the last. I’m not upset; clarifying just felt necessary. Enjoy the game and get a hug from a loved one and consider the thought that we’re in this together and it comes in the spirit of BA from me.

Sorry this was so long, simple apparently doesn’t always work (Sorry T. Stone – Haha – I loved the KISS comment last post.).

Be well

8. By Dynosoar on Sep 29, 2014 | Reply

My wife recently went to a leadership training and they taught the “Coach ‘em hard, hug ‘em later” principle. She has been implementing this with Cub Scouts and is amazed at how effective it is.

I had her read two of Darren’s articles, one about BA and one about Todd Bowles. She recognized the principles the leadership conference taught. We have perhaps the best coaching staff I’ve ever seen for any team in any league.

I love that our coaches understand the “Art of War” and the OODA Loop. As long as they and the players follow these principles, we can’t lose.

9. By mal on Sep 29, 2014 | Reply

Darren-

The BA “media darling” video is awesome.

Last off-season you guys posted a 2013 version of the same thing — BA zingers — plus you wrote a print article to accompany it, too.

I’ve got a buddy I would like to send those to — would it be too much trouble for you to give me the link to both that vid and your article? Thx.

10. By Darren Urban on Sep 29, 2014 | Reply

Mal —

RE: BA

Video is embedded.

11. By KinGeorge on Sep 29, 2014 | Reply

If the Cardinals play a game in London, would we be able to get tickets? If so I would travel to London to watch a game.

12. By BirdsSTC on Sep 29, 2014 | Reply

Scott H,

Did you actually read all of that? 🙂

13. By michaelparmenter on Sep 29, 2014 | Reply

as a cards fan based in London, i’d love to get a chance to see them here! i saw that Mr Bidwill was in London and was gutted that i missed meeting him, as fans outside of US don’t get a chance often to see them, I’m going to the Dallas – Jags game next month, proudly sporting my 21 Jersey.. Now should i get the 32 ……

14. By bernhard bucher on Sep 29, 2014 | Reply

i would be happy if the cardinals would attend a game in london. i am a longtime cardinalsfan living in vienna, austria. i was once in phoenix to watch a game… but i love the idea to see my cardinals in europe… austria is such a nice country, they should play a game in vienna😀

15. By Stefan on Sep 29, 2014 | Reply

I would love to see a game here in Europe and be happy to travel to London to see the Cards play!

The end of the NFL Europa league was a real shame. I think football is gaining popularity in Europe tough. There are 3 games in Wembley this season and I wish there was some diversity in venues. I know Amsterdam could host a game and there are some great stadiums in Germany as well.

16. By Scott H on Sep 29, 2014 | Reply

Dynosaur –

Thanks….I think. I have to say, I have NO idea what you are so adamant / upset about. Trouble with blogging / any form of communication other than speaking is that it leaves the possibility that your words are intended one way and they are heard another. You heard it the way you heard it. I’m not sure I can help you with that because it certainly wasn’t intended as nasty toward you.

I even swore??? Well, yes, I did. Not AT you. So relax.

Whether or not you play fantasy football has nothing to do with this. It has to do with the simple point that many people get caught up in gaudy numbers. And I’ve been around long enough to know that people were doing that BEFORE fantasy football ever existed. A QB can play a much more efficient game by putting up solid / efficient numbers and ultimately be a better QB. You probably would agree. And if you do, then what are you so upset about???

I’m going to stop because…I’m afraid to say anything else!

17. By Scott H on Sep 29, 2014 | Reply

About games being played in other countries, I could hardly be more against that than I am. And in support of the Cardinals fans out there who only get 8 prescious home games a year, I hope it NEVER happens.

Part of the reason I hope it never happens is that it seem to me that the NFL kinda picks teams that aren’t very good ( at least not TWO of them ) to go over to London to play those games. Honestly, are the Raiders selling out their home games??? So…no offense to their die-hard fans, but is it really that big a loss? Dolphins, I don’t know if they are selling out these days but they are not a team that is gonna be a factor this year. So, it’s an easy game for the NFL to throw over there.

The Cardinals are a contender and they sell out every game. Their fans should not have to give up a home game.

18. By Dr. G. on Sep 29, 2014 | Reply

Just don’t drink the water…bottled beer only!

19. By clssylssy on Sep 29, 2014 | Reply

I can’t imagine Coach BA being up for a regular season game in London. For any team that has even a remote chance of making the playoffs, it would be like throwing a game away as the jetlag for flying to and from Europe plus the practice and the actual game for such a turn around trip would completely sap players (and coaching staff) of the energy and sharpness to compete for well over a week. I can see where the Owners could get sucked into this snow job by the Commissioner but a real football guy who is about the game rather than the $$$ would pass. If the Owners are so Hell bent on this marketing opportunity why not do it in the off season as an exhibition game? (most Europeans follow soccer and this would be a gimmick anyway).
    As it is, many local fans can’t afford to take their families to home games without making sacrifices and this entire line of thinking has a very anti-fan friendly tone. Before the franchise gives away games that most fans would not be able to afford a trip to anyway, how about slashing season ticket prices in half?

20. By Scott H on Sep 30, 2014 | Reply

Birds STC –

Not yet but I’m working on it. I’ll get back to ya in a few days when I finish.

21. By Phil on Sep 30, 2014 | Reply

As a British Cards fan I’d love the london game! But I can understand why it would frustrate fans…Making a trip to London isn’t easy!