Wednesday a big day for Palmer

Posted by Darren Urban on September 29, 2014 – 1:07 pm

So the progress Carson Palmer was hoping for in his throwing shoulder didn’t quite materialize the way he or coach Bruce Arians wanted over the weekend. So the quarterback was still pretty limited Monday at practice and it makes Wednesday — probably — the Denver tipping point. If Palmer can go Wednesday, he probably will be fine Sunday. If he cannot, it throws a lot of doubt on a Denver appearance, or at least brings Drew Stanton back front and center.

“Wednesday and Thursday would be huge this week,” Arians said.

Arians was asked if his gut was telling him Palmer would play against the Broncos: “I quit trusting my gut a long time ago,” Arians deadpanned. “It’s been lying to me forever.”

This was a big story before the 49ers game. Now that Stanton has looked so solid in two starts, it isn’t as much. Palmer said he is staying optimistic he can play against the Broncos but there’s really no way to know. “I wish I could predict the future,” he said.

The Cardinals are pretty healthy otherwise. Cornerback Antonio Cromartie was back at practice. And while guard Paul Fanaika was off to the side, Arians said he’d be back at practice Wednesday. If Fanaika couldn’t go in a game, Jonathan Cooper would go to left guard and Ted Larsen would slide over from the left side to take Fanaika’s spot.

“I don’t know how many guys would’ve played last Sunday (if there was a game),” Arians said. “I’m sure we would have been out of at least three that would not have played. It’s going to happen sometime down the road here. (With) 13 weeks in a row, there’re going to get beat up and we’re going to be missing some guys. It’ll be next man up.”

CPwedneUSE

Tags: , , ,

23 Responses to “Wednesday a big day for Palmer”

1. By Marlin on Sep 29, 2014 | Reply

Am I correct that……Dan Williams, Sam Acho, Paul Fanaika will be free agents after this season?

2. By Darren Urban on Sep 29, 2014 | Reply

Marlin —

RE: Fanaika, Acho, Williams

Correct.

3. By ryan on Sep 29, 2014 | Reply

I am very excited for Denver! We are hitting on all cylinders with Palmer or Stanton. Both offense and defense need to make plays. Period.

I HAVE A FEELING!
    LETS GET TO 4-0
    GO CARDS!!!

4. By truths4all on Sep 29, 2014 | Reply

Against the Broncos, the outcome will really be determined by the Offensive Line, Defensive Line, DBs, LBs, and Special Teams.

The RBs, receivers, and QBs are consistently good, but even with monster games from them, it will be how well the rest of the team performs that will determine the final outcome.

5. By Scott H on Sep 29, 2014 | Reply

My thoughts are this ( and you know I keep my thoughts simple ‘ cause that’s about all I’m capable of ) – a healthy Drew Stanton is better than a limited Carson Palmer. Nothing fancy about that logic. And I am VERY confident that is what will determine who plays on Sunday. It was clear against San Fran ( even against the Giants, too, but not as apparent ) that they were not holding back because of the change at QB. They were asking Stanton to do everything they wanted the offense to and he was up to the task.

And I maintain that Stanton being something of an un-known at this point can only help by not allowing defenses to really know what they have to defend against.

BUT this issue with Palmer is a concern. Going by where he appears to be right now – pretty much one month after the injury – I don’t see how he is ready to go WITH NO LIMITATIONS – by Sunday. I say we hope he is at least capable of being the back-up for this one.

Not related to this, but did anyone see the new commercial with Fitz catching the passes from Brees, Luck, and Kaepernick? It was absolutely AWESOME!!! With all the stuff that is going on with players in trouble off the field AND the snakes who are running this league being on the hook for their own shady dealings, it is nice to see that there are some truly GOOD guys in this league, too. GREAT COMMERCIAL!!! Look it up on you tube if you haven’t seen it.

6. By Alex on Sep 29, 2014 | Reply

i wont be sad, if drew will start. maybe palmer is better, and he played (very) well against the chargers, and drew played not better than average against the giants, but i think drew deserves to be the starter THIS week, because of his second-half performance against the 9ers. and i dont know 1 or 2 practise would be enough for palmer to get back at his level,he is our starter overall but a week training should be good to be our leader against skins(?) next week. so, i would move with stanton, maybe he’ll do somethin unforgettable. if not, this L can be accepted easier than any against our divisional or conference rivals. With or without Palmer, we’ll have chance, lets do it guys!!comeon!

7. By PotAsh on Sep 29, 2014 | Reply

I saw on your twitter feed that there is now a Windows Phone app for the Arizona Cardinals. I don’t tweet, so I’m hoping for an answer here.

Who is the publisher? YinzCam? When I searched there were a few different ones – want to make sure I get the correct app.

Thanks!

8. By Darren Urban on Sep 29, 2014 | Reply

PotAsh —

RE: Windows

Yes, YinzCam is the publisher.

9. By Andrew P. on Sep 29, 2014 | Reply

Dan Williams has never been the star we expected him to be… I think we could live without him in all honesty. Fanaika has been solid and I believe Sam is a beast when healthy. Hope we can get the both of them deals.

10. By Dynosoar on Sep 29, 2014 | Reply

Scott H,

I responded to your response regarding my post about QB completion percentage. It’s in the London blog just before this one. I hope it clarifies my last post that got you up in arms.

11. By clssylssy on Sep 29, 2014 | Reply

Palmer sounds pretty “iffy” and if he were 100% it would be expected that he would start against Denver. However, Scott H. makes a valid observation, in that Stanton is something of an unknown commodity with limited tape for the opposition to study,is very capable, in addition to the fact that he appears to be more physical and able to run faster picking up valuable yards rushing. I think if we can incorporate more of the “hurry up offense” that we were forced to play against the 9ers it will make a huge difference in our game as we have the Broncos, Eagles and Cowboys in upcoming weeks (in addition to our division rivals). If we can play Denver like we did Seattle and not let Peyton get off passes, their running game hasn’t been that strong.
    A bad shoulder for a QB is like having a horse who can’t run, especially when the ailment is so mysterious as to defy treatment. With time being the great healer, I would rather play it safe and have Palmer get back on the field at home against the
    Redskins which would be a conservative progression approach but might pay off in the longrun. If we can win in Denver, that will be great but I think we have bigger battles down the road. I can’t stand Philidelphia but they are tough and fast and better than they played against the 9ers. Sproles is amazing and that’s a team that worries me more than the Hawks, 9ers or Broncos.
    TOTALLY LOVE the Visa Commercial with Fitz, Brees, Kaepernick, and Luck, it’s great that the Cards have been recognized, a la Fitz, in the same company as these heavy weights!

12. By Dr. G. on Sep 29, 2014 | Reply

Darren – – I didn’t see Fanaika on the injury list; what is going on? I missed that one.

ScottH – – Yep, Drew will be better than rolling the dice for additional problems with Palmer. If this thing is anything close to a frozen shoulder, it is a big deal. It will heal with lots of time, but it is difficult to even put on a tee shirt without watery eyeballs…worse that a rotator problem. It is awful to deal with. Nerve issues are still mysterious for the most part.

And….comparing the stats, it looks like we can pick on the Denver secondary successfully. The Cards secondary will give Manning and Co. all they can handle. I will enjoy watching Peyton run around before hiking the ball like he usually does pretending he is changing things, and trying to out guess Todd Bowles. Bowles vs Manning?? We win that one….

On Offense… no picks, with our O-line, and running the clock will shock the Broncos into submission in their house… We just need to execute the plans…

This game and Seattle away are the 2 toughest ((maybe KC?)) games this year….

Cards don’t beat Cards…G’day…

13. By Darren Urban on Sep 29, 2014 | Reply

Dr. G —

RE: Fanaika

There has been no injury report since the 49ers game. Won’t be one until Wednesday.

14. By Dynosoar on Sep 29, 2014 | Reply

clssylssy,

It’s great to have Brees, Kaepernick, and Luck recognized, in the same company as our heavyweight, a la Fitz!

15. By T.Stone on Sep 29, 2014 | Reply

Larry said today on the radio that Palmer said he was good to go. lol That means he is good to go.

16. By Domenico on Oct 1, 2014 | Reply

He’ll YEAH!!! Let’s go CARDS!!!!#3 #11

17. By Bootes17 on Sep 30, 2014 | Reply

Surprised that no one mentions the problem the Cards have with Tight ends. SF tight ends were non starters and Eli was still getting to know Donnell but they had some success against us. Denver could kill us in this area

18. By Scott H on Sep 30, 2014 | Reply

Dynosaur –

I was up in arms??? Really??? I wasn’t the one who needed 4 separate posts to make a reply….I appreciate the effort, though.

19. By clssylssy on Sep 30, 2014 | Reply

@Dynosar…Point well taken! It seems some Cards fans don’t quite get that, and it would seem the front office doesn’t either:(

20. By Dr. G. on Sep 30, 2014 | Reply

Bootes – – Surprised that you did not acknowledge::

Broncos and Cards Offenses rank 24th and 23rd respectively, basically a push.

Broncos and Cards Defenses rank 27th and 5th respectively, a push? Not close…

Passing & rushing together – basically a push. Just the facts on NFL’s stats here.

I posted before that it should be the Cards DEFENSE to win this game. Away is a BIG factor… And, though I am not a fan of all Peyton’s theatrical pretense, he can be a distraction…our Cards’ defense will not be deterred. ((the Bowles factor))

It stunk that the Broncos lost the coin flip and had no opportunity in Seattle. The overtime rules are preposterous…a tie would be better…Change is needed.

Cantanzaro will put it through the uprights on every kick-off – – no chance for a return… 5,280 ft. altitude…! Get used to the 20-yard-line Peyton!!!

Cards’ Offense can execute well enough to post 4-0…!

Manning and his TE’s can’t win this game by themselves…but respect is needed.

The odds-makers are poking for a hole in the dike trying to figure this one…later

21. By j on Sep 30, 2014 | Reply

game plan… run run run the ball, best way to defeat the broncos at home. i see elington with 110+ yards and 100+ yards combined with the other 3 backs. Peyton is going to pick on the middle field, must lock it down! The run needs the O line to be faster stronger and most important smarter then Broncos D.
    Control the clock!!
    No turn overs and 2 penalties only!!
    Cardinals win!!

22. By Jerry on Sep 30, 2014 | Reply

I’m thinking this may be a game day decision. Remember Denver isn’t sitting at 90 degree weather like we are here so climate change could either make of break the decision on Palmer. Just my opinion.

2. Sep 30, 2014: Know Your Enemy: NFC West Update on 49ers, Cardinals, Rams - Week 4 - Social News Dashboard