As Okafor returns, Butler released

Posted by Darren Urban on September 30, 2014 – 1:47 pm

The Cardinals made a roster move Tuesday, cutting outside linebacker Victor Butler, who had been recently signed. Big picture, it makes sense. Alex Okafor, who had been dealing with a thigh injury that had kept him off the field since the final preseason game, finally returned to practice last week. Okafor will be in the outside linebacker mix. That meant a surplus, so the Cards decided to part ways with Butler.

We’ll see what the Cardinals do with the open roster spot, although it figures to be a veteran of some sort. Regardless, the bye week has been good for the Cards health-wise — save for the uncertainty around Carson Palmer — and assuming Paul Fanaika is ready to go tomorrow, it’ll be the first time that Bruce Arians won’t have a lot of injuries to dance around as he figures out his 46 actives this Sunday.

This week’s edition of Cardinals Underground has been posted right here.

— Larry Fitzgerald, immortalized in a cornfield at Schnepf farms. So there’s that.

Tags: , ,

26 Responses to “As Okafor returns, Butler released”

1. By Scott H on Sep 30, 2014 | Reply

Oh, thank God it was another Butler this time. I thought that poor punter was packing his bags yet again….

2. By Duane Spencer on Sep 30, 2014 | Reply

What a brutal and dream-breaking business this is for a person. We as fans develop such a strange relationship for certain players, how hard it must be for the coaches and personnel staff to be supportive and at the same time unfeeling to the young men under their care.
    In my working life I always hated firing people, no matter what the cause, and I only had to do it occaisionally, not every week.
    I didn’t even know Victor Butler was on the roster and still don’t know anything about a young man that lost his job. All I can do now is send a silent prayer up for his well being and just maybe his lifes dreams can go on.

3. By Dynosoar on Sep 30, 2014 | Reply

Scott H.

Thanks. Your correct sir, sometimes a blog gets a little misunderstood and it looks like we both fell into that. Glad to see we can continue the dialogue and get back on the same page.

We all want the ring. Good to know you weren’t swearing at me, and apparently not even in my general direction. Haha. I did feel a little attacked and misunderstood, but may have gone a little overboard in my novel post (sorry, couldn’t resist the pun.)

4. By Dynosoar on Sep 30, 2014 | Reply

By Birds STC –
    Scott H,
    Did you actually read all of that?🙂

By Scott H.
    “Birds STC –
    Not yet but I’m working on it. I’ll get back to ya in a few days when I finish.”

Now that was funny!

5. By Dynosoar on Sep 30, 2014 | Reply

I know there’s always a chance, but is there a realistic chance of Butler being on the practice squad this season?

Also, why was NFL Europe ended. It seems this would allow practice squad eligible players to play and improve (how many Kurt Warner’s came up from NFL Europe to play in the NFL would be an interesting factor). Seems this would solve the “London” dilemma.

As to London and jetlag, schedule all London trips, if played for the week before a bye week so a team could recoup. But i like the idea of another that they should be expedition games, perhaps during preseason or summer.

I say bring back NFL Europe and end this nonsense of London games that count. As well as Australia games. Pshaw!

6. By Darren Urban on Sep 30, 2014 | Reply

Dynosoar —

RE: Butler

Butler is not PS eligible.

And NFL Europe went away because it didn’t make sense anymore from a financial standpoint.

7. By John The Draft Guy on Sep 30, 2014 | Reply

I noticed on your chat that there were several questions about the draft. Some where about how scouts work, ect.

To those interested, The NFL network has a new show called Finding Giants on Tuesday nights. It explains how teams scout and what they look for and the way a GM uses scouts.

Darren, have you seen it yet?

8. By Darren Urban on Sep 30, 2014 | Reply

JTDG —

RE: Finding Giants

No I have not seen it but I have seen the commercials. Intriguing.

9. By T.Stone on Sep 30, 2014 | Reply

Palmer is fine. You suckers are a bunch of…………..well……. suckers. And thank God. We need to be one snap away from Logan Thomas like we need another hole in the head. Cardinals are going into Denver looking to Kick ass and Chew bubblegum. And we are all out of Bubblegum. #respect.

10. By T.Stone on Sep 30, 2014 | Reply

JTDG

RE: Show

I saw that too, What is funny is that the Giants Draft like Donkey doo. I won’t watch but will you?

11. By JohnnyBluenose on Sep 30, 2014 | Reply

@Scott H….did you go to the Cardinals’ game in New York and, if so, how was your experience?

12. By JohnnyBluenose on Sep 30, 2014 | Reply

@JTDG…have you read WAR ROOM, a book about Belichick, Pilosi, Dimitroff and a few others and how they came together over 20 years ago and developed systems for scouting and drafting players? A somewhat interesting read with a lot of background information.

13. By redhawk1960 on Oct 1, 2014 | Reply

Well he needs to write a new book or find the next star qb

14. By Scott H on Sep 30, 2014 | Reply

Dynosaur –

Dude, you are my brother in Cardinal red and I would never attack you. Fan is short for fanatic and that implies passion. Passion leads to strong opinions and we ( all ) butt heads a little sometimes. OR, as you say, we have misunderstandings. But as I have said before, we are ALL in the same fox hole on Sunday and I would throw myself on a grenade for any of you if I needed to.

Note to self – try not to be closest to the door when there is a grenade outside that someone needs to fall on!

15. By Scott H on Sep 30, 2014 | Reply

JohnnyBluenose –

No, sir, I did not go to the game in New York. Might have thought about it but I AM coming out there for the Eagles game and the budget only allows for so much, ya know?

16. By Dynosoar on Sep 30, 2014 | Reply

Scott H,

RE: your Note to self. I’ve been laughing for a few minutes now. Yeah, I know I’m passionate. I’m just glad my friends see that and temper me from time to time. I have to say, I’ve always read your posts and sent many a thumbs up your way. Didn’t remember you lived in the NY area. Personally, I think the Eagles game will be more enjoyable of the two.

Way to go Johnny Bluenose for remembering where Scott lives. Looks like I have another book to put on my list (War Room). Thanks for mentioning it. I’d like to understand the draft better.

T. Stone,

since you spoke of suckers and bubblegum I’m curios, what flavor of Blowpop is your favorite? I was always partial to watermelon.

last, but not least. Thanks for the answers.

Anyone,

why wouldn’t Butler be PS eligible?

17. By JohnnyBluenose on Sep 30, 2014 | Reply

@Scott H….I’m coming for the Eagles game too.

18. By John The Draft Guy on Sep 30, 2014 | Reply

T-Stone;

The Giants have 4 super bowls, can’t be that bad at drafting.
    Yes, I am watching.

Johnnybluenose;

I have not read it, but it is now on my list.

19. By T.Stone on Sep 30, 2014 | Reply

The War Room about Belacheat? Bet that’s a quick read. I bet Keim used it as a what not to do manual..

20. By T.Stone on Sep 30, 2014 | Reply

Add Playing for Pizza to your list then JTDG. At least that is funny, and I am sure full of the fiction you like to read.

21. By Robert on Oct 1, 2014 | Reply

We need to make a trade for a pass rushing LB don’t care if we have to up a 1 and 3 in this years daft we been 50 50 on are drafts anyway last year’s first rounded can’t even get on the field so way not get something of need.

22. By Eazy E on Oct 1, 2014 | Reply

It doesn’t make sense to cut a pass rusher especially from the OLB position. We need all the help we can get after losing Dockett, D-Wash, Karlos, John Abraham, etc. Butler can do some things…

23. By Eazy E on Oct 1, 2014 | Reply

He better come back immediately. We HAVE to get after Peyton or trouble will ensue.

24. By LifetimeFan on Oct 1, 2014 | Reply

THANK GOD WOLF IS BACK ON THE PODCAST!!!

25. By Scott H on Oct 1, 2014 | Reply

Dynosaur –

Just to clarify, I live in southern NJ, just over the bridge from Philly. Hate the Eagles. Have been to many games the Cards have played in Philly over the last few decades.

JohnnyBluenose –

See ya there, bro! Ain’t NUTHIN’ like beating the Eagles!

26. By clssylssy on Oct 2, 2014 | Reply

What an amazing work of art! Blows my mind at the creativity and effort that went into this maze paying tribute to Larry…absolutely beautiful! I doubt that there is another player in the NFL who has ever had such a tribute by a fan. Great job…so cool!