Waiting on Palmer, and the Cards at QB

Posted by Darren Urban on October 3, 2014 – 11:44 am

There has been nothing official yet on who is starting quarterback for the Cardinals Sunday — it wouldn’t be surprising to have Bruce Arians say something after practice — but everything has pointed toward Drew Stanton all week. It seemed fait accompli Thursday when Carson Palmer talked about being frustrated and not having any timetable on the wonky nerve in his throwing shoulder and it was underscored Friday, when Palmer wasn’t even on the practice field for the portion open to the media as the Cardinals went through their last workout of the week.

UPDATE: It’s official. Stanton will start in Denver, Arians said.

This isn’t about the Broncos game, though, not when Palmer wasn’t doing anything as early as Monday. The regression was apparent at that point. Going forward, though, the questions grow. The answers aren’t all black and white, but in reality, this is about patience.

— Stanton has done fine as the starter. He won’t be the starter when Palmer returns, but he’s the guy now. It’s been suggested the job could weigh on him more as time goes on and he is seen as “The Guy” while Palmer recovers, but I don’t see that with Drew. I think there is a reason he hasn’t been a starter in the league for long-term, but I also think the confidence Bruce Arians has in him isn’t just coach-speak for the public.

— One heartbeat away is Logan Thomas, a guy who frankly, the Cardinals were not/are not planning to play this season. What happens if Stanton goes down? It’d be a story, for sure. And given the teams on the schedule, maybe not a story with a happy ending. But in what little work he is getting, the coaches sound optimistic. (Practices have been closed since the start of the regular season, so I can’t give you a first-person evaluation of Thomas’ progress.)

“He’s much more accurate,” Arians said. “When he was taking reps last week he was good with the football. He had a couple of interceptions, but they were balls that bounced off of people’s hands — the hot balls that they weren’t used to catching. But he was on time where he was supposed to be, and it was very refreshing to see, having not gotten any reps.”

That may be more about where Thomas is going in a year or two rather than if he were suddenly pushed into service now, but it’s better than going backward.

— Arians simply said “no” to whether the Cardinals have an emergency quarterback. God forbid it came to that anyway. Maybe Ted Ginn? He did throw a nice pass to Michael Floyd.

— The way this is playing out, and the way Palmer reiterated Thursday how it’s about wait-and-see, I don’t see the Cardinals going to get another QB. That only happens if Palmer goes to IR-return-later, and given this day-to-day situation, I don’t know if the team would be willing to pull such a trigger. I don’t see them adding a fourth QB to the 53-man roster either. If it ever did come to bringing someone in, Ryan Lindley — still on the Chargers’ practice squad — makes sense to me. Knows the system, fits in the QB room, comfortable with everyone. But again, I don’t know if it’s ever going to come to that.

— Palmer is confident this injury isn’t season-threatening, which is good — although if it’s impossible to tell how long it will take to “wake up,” as he keeps putting it, I’m not sure how you can be sure. Regardless, the idea that Palmer is for some reason being soft or not wanting to really play — and yes, those things have been suggested to me by fans multiple times — is ridiculous.

It’s about being patient, because there is really no other option.

QBsitBLOG

Tags: , ,

19 Responses to “Waiting on Palmer, and the Cards at QB”

1. By T.Stone on Oct 3, 2014 | Reply

Go get Lindley, that will help in the long run and help with the ruse. I don’t want to see Thomas in a real game.

2. By JohnnyBluenose on Oct 3, 2014 | Reply

Any suggestion that Palmer is soft is way, way beyond ridiculous and anyone who would even think such a thing, let alone say it, simply knows nothing.

3. By Dynosoar on Oct 3, 2014 | Reply

I appreciate the article. You write like I do when I see the future, but there is no concrete answers as to when it’s going to happen. Not with frustration, but not with satisfaction either. Kind of a, I wish things were different, but the seas are calm.

Me, I’m good with Stanton. Because it’s not just him, we have a coaching staff and a roster that I believe is second to none. Whizenhunt used to abandon the run when we were behind and lost every time. The Eagles abandoned the run against the 49ers last week and had the same results.

If we’re behind, BA and company continue with the game plan, tweak where it needs tweaking and we win. Palmer may be the better QB, but Stanton improved on game one. He’ll get more accurate this game. Teams have won the Super Bowl without elite QBs before (Flacco anyone).

We’ll be just fine. Looking forward to this gama… a lot.

4. By clssylssy on Oct 3, 2014 | Reply

I find it a little troubling that BA wants to “give” Peyton his TD to make his record; Peyton is too good to “give” him anything and I think if the Cards get into that mind set there will be no recovering; Manning will then take it to the house! While the national newsies and “experts” go give the Cards a snowballs chance …, I personally believe that we have the talent and without a doubt the coaching staff to give the AFC Champs a good fight (at the very least). Nobody is giving the Cards any credit, chalking up our previous wins as early season flukes and taking advantage of our opponents injuries (not taking into account our injuries and roster losses) so eyes will definitely be on this game as the answer to the ?” Pretender or Contender” debate.
    As I recall, a few years back we started off 4-0, only to become reduced to having our rookie QB, Lindley,come in after Skelton (our backup) was also injured, and that turned out bad for everybody. This is an excellent team but it’s early and so we have to just take it one win at a time and not start with focusing on Stanton’s shortcomings like we did Skelton. So far, he’s done an excellent job of stepping up and getting the job done; he has been trained by the same people as Manning, so, if everybody does their job, things really aren’t as bad as they might appear to the rest of the football world. Let’s Go into Denver and Take Care of Business!

5. By Craig on Oct 3, 2014 | Reply

I can’t believe anyone would question Carson’s heart.

6. By jme on Oct 3, 2014 | Reply

It could be said with every team that if the starting qb goes down the team is in trouble. “except the cardinals” we should be thankfull we have two outstanding qb’s on the team and because of this unfamiliar aspect the Cardinals are the better team. If peyton, kap, wilson goes down or brees or brady etc then what do those typical top tier teams have, NOTHING! The days of the super star wins is over, team is now what it takes and frankly id prefer to watch an all around quality team play then just watch a super star play. To me the cardinals have 53 SUPER STARS!!!

7. By blaxabbath on Oct 3, 2014 | Reply

Darren-

A lot of the talk about Stanton seems to be boiled down to “reps” — mental reps, first team reps, getting enough reps, etc. From a fan perspective, seems like an oversimplification of the situation considering how much prep work is done watching the film, game planning, etc.

In a typical week, how many non-gameday (ie, practice) reps does a quarterback play and how much of an increase is Stanton seeing going from back-up to first (only?) string?

8. By Darren Urban on Oct 3, 2014 | Reply

blax —

RE: Reps

Considerable change. When Warner was here, he tried to take every single rep the Cardinals’ offense ran. I can’t give you a number, but there are dozens of plays in a typical practice. As a backup, Stanton is usually only getting a few of those reps.

9. By Scott H on Oct 3, 2014 | Reply

I believe they need another QB on the roster NOW. I mean, if anything happens to Stanton at this point and Palmer isn’t coming back any time soon, they are in trouble regardless. But to have ONLY Logan Thomas behind Stanton? No, there needs to be another body at QB right now.

And just my feeling on this, but I do NOT think Palmer is coming back any time soon. This thing just doesn’t seem to be going anywhere. It certainly isn’t going in the right direction, that is for sure.

I think people better start warming up to Stanton – if they haven’t already, that is – because I think he is going to be the guy for a good stretch of games. Scary…but not much else we can do.

I DO NOT like the sound of this whole waiting for the nerve(s) to wake up thing with Palmer’s arm. I’m no nerve expert, but…it’s been a month now. They’re not waking up by now? Well….that just doesn’t sound good, folks.

10. By erik on Oct 3, 2014 | Reply

I can’t agree with bringing in Lindley. I know he is familiar with the system, but we have all seen him play and it is not pretty. I would rather Thomas get the chance at that point.

11. By Dynosoar on Oct 3, 2014 | Reply

If Palmer’s soft, what do we call Anderson, Kolb, Skelton? Soft? Ha! He defies that.

clssylssy,

“I find it a little troubling that BA wants to “give” Peyton his TD to make his record… ”

BA deadpans so much I don’t think he’s saying he’s going to give Peyton anything. I think he’s saying, sure he can have his TD if he can get it, we’ll take the game.

I also recall someone else on the team interviewed this week that said he would be happy if Peyton did get his 500th TD… next week. We also know Peyton is good enough to do it against any team, so one or two TD’s is ok, we still win.

12. By D on Oct 3, 2014 | Reply

This game Sunday could be ugly, not because I think the Cards can’t compete with Peyton, but because of the circumstances.. a backup QB with an aggressive play caller in BA who wants to throw deep as much as possible.

What we all know watching Peyton over the last 15 yrs is that he has seen every type of blitz that Bowles will dial up. Since the Cards do not have a great single pass rusher, he can pick apart with the underneath short slant passes all day long with the time he will have…combine that with our offense wanting to push the ball downfield, could spell disaster. The Cards will need ball control and every first down they can get to keep Peyton off the field, they must win the time of possession…meaning they need a solid contribution from their RB’s…I would use all 4 RB’s this Sunday if they have the room to activate all of them..

13. By Dr. G. on Oct 3, 2014 | Reply

Coach-speak or not, Arians believes in Drew to get it done. Here is where Veldheer and the O-line earn their $$$$ and respect.

Would you believe?
    Passing: Opponents-900, Broncos-814…
    Rushing: Opponents-316, Broncos-226… The story here is TURNOVERS, SACKS and ball protection…the Broncos do this well…and so do we…

The Cards can play them EVEN with zero turnovers and protecting Stanton. Our secondary on Defense and WR’s on offense can make the difference for a “W”….

A near perfect game is necessary unless Peyton & Co, steps on their _ _ _ _ _…and give us the win.

Our Special Teams are to be reckoned with…another key factor to a W…

DARREN – – Please relate this to Arians to add to a pre-game talk: Who wants to be the historical Poster-Boy for Manning’s #500? You? You? You? …going around the room…

14. By krehbieo14 on Oct 3, 2014 | Reply

I am not sure how anyone could construe BA’s comment about Peyton throwing a touchdown as anthing but lighthearted humor. I think Arians knows how to work the media and has fun doing it. I’m hoping that Larry’ going to have a breakout game!

15. By clssylssy on Oct 3, 2014 | Reply

@erik
    Logan Thomas at this point would be Lindley all over again without the experience and knowledge of the offense, chemistry of the team, etc. Bringing in a rookie too soon can ruin them for the future. Young QBs need time to develop. Perhaps if Lindley or Skelton would have had the time to develop they would have had more success. Who would you suggest would be a better choice?

16. By Blair on Oct 3, 2014 | Reply

Ginn > Lindley

17. By the way....Dr. G. on Oct 3, 2014 | Reply

Fellow Cards Fans – –

I must close out the night with a logic question? If for some alien brain storm, the Cards signed Lindley from Sdiego practice squad, he would still play behind Logan, right? The Mgmt/Coaches made that decision already….’tis moot.

Let’s not debate upside… We have seen the best of Lindley…that’s why they cut him.

Knowledge or not of the Offense, Logan still provides a better chance for success….period. Some fans speak as though Logan has learned nothing! He is a total Stallion with enough info to run a conservative Offense.

All this speculation is moot…not happening…. My sombrero remains safe!

Go CARDS!

18. By Eazy E on Oct 5, 2014 | Reply

No Lindley!

2. Oct 3, 2014: Cardinals Blogs | Friday before the Broncos (and Peyton)