Palmer resumes throwing; return next week?

Posted by Darren Urban on October 5, 2014 – 11:08 am

It’s game day in Denver, but the Cardinals might have gotten some future good news already. Fox’s Jay Glazer reported that Palmer actually flew to Denver ahead of the team Friday to visit with nerve specialists and came out of the meeting optimistic that the nerve is better and could even possibly play next week against Washington. That was underscored about an hour later, when Palmer — who will be inactive today — was throwing passes on the field for the first time since his shoulder injury regressed during bye weekend.

Palmer was only tossing lightly and the ball was only traveling nine or 10 yards, but it is a start. I’m sure we’ll get some update from Bruce Arians after the game, and as always, it’ll be the practice days of Wednesday and Thursday next week that are the ultimate barometer of where Palmer stands in terms of playing.

Tags:

12 Responses to “Palmer resumes throwing; return next week?”

1. By Dr. G. on Oct 5, 2014 | Reply

Hey Darren – Is it possible for you to post the 7 inactive players when you are informed? This is one thing that really arouses my curiosity on game day… I think you said 90 minutes prior to tee off…? Thx

2. By Darren Urban on Oct 5, 2014 | Reply

Dr. G —

RE: Inactives

I always do.

3. By Chuck 1 on Oct 5, 2014 | Reply

We should all hope that Palmer will be able to start next week.
    However, I want to return to a previous thread in which Dr. G discussed Thomas and Lindley.
    I agree with Dr. G in that Thomas would be better than Lindley if Palmer and Stanton are unable to play.
    Thomas reminds me of Ben Rothliesberger (sp?) when Ben was a rookie. They have similar builds and “big” arms.
    When Ben was a rookie the Steelers went to the playoffs, not because of his ability alone (he was raw), but because Ben had a good offensive supporting cast and an outstanding defense. They didn’t put Ben in situations where he would fail.
    In that regard, the Steelers/Ben (then) and the Cards/Thomas (now) are similar. So, the Cards should play Thomas if we “lose” Palmer and Stanton. BA and Moore could develop him and adjust the game plans accordingly. He might just surprise us and take us to the “Promised Land”.

4. By Dr. G. on Oct 5, 2014 | Reply

Darren – –
    Hmmm… I thought Grice was picked up to maybe a grinder a few times today… I guess he is not ready…. Thx again…

5. By louis on Oct 5, 2014 | Reply

we are finish this year bad coaching again.

6. By Chuck 1 on Oct 5, 2014 | Reply

For those who gave me “Thumbs Down”, please explain yourselves.

7. By clssylssy on Oct 5, 2014 | Reply

@Chuck
    Doesn’t appear that Thomas is ready, and while I hope Palmer is back next week and Stanton nothing is certain and we are in a bit of a jam. I hate to think of Thomas going up against RGIII or Cousins and we REALLY need to win at home!

8. By Steve on Oct 5, 2014 | Reply

Chuck 1: Thomas and Roethlisberger have nothing in common( ability wise) except size, there is nothing else similar. If you want to compare Logan Thomas with another QB, start with John Skelton.

9. By Kevin S Mesa on Oct 6, 2014 | Reply

Chuck 1 —

I am not one of the folks who gave you a thumbs down, but in comparing Big Ben and Thomas, you are forgetting one thing.

Roethlisberger was drafted in the first round with the 11th OA pick in the draft. You say he was “raw,” but in 2004, he completed 66.4% of his passes (best of his career except one year he had 66.6), with 8.89 YPA (best of his entire career) and only 11 INT’s. His QBR was 98.1.

If somehow Palmer couldn’t come back and Stanton were out long term, there isn’t a snowball’s chance in hell that Logan Thomas comes anywhere to what Ben did that first year.

Now, I’m posting this after seeing Thomas come into the game and basically throw one nice pass and otherwise look terrible, whereas I assume your post was pregame. But even so, Thomas is truly “raw” in the way you used the term. Ben was able to step in and be immediately effective. I don’t remember the details of the 2004 Steelers and whether your statements about them not putting him in situations where he’d fail, etc. are accurate — certainly there’s some truth to what you’re saying, as he was throwing a lot fewer passes per game than later in his career. Still though, even if we manage the game plan around a more limited QB, we aren’t getting 2/3rds of our passes completed and a 17-11 TD-INT ratio if we play Thomas. As someone said above, it would be more like throwing Skelton out there… a low-drafted “project” who would struggle mightily.

10. By louis on Oct 6, 2014 | Reply

Darren – Do you think the Cardinals would possibly go after Jim Harbaugh as a new head coach next year?

11. By Darren Urban on Oct 6, 2014 | Reply

louis —

RE: Harbaugh

A new angle in trolling. Impressive.

2. Oct 5, 2014: Cardinals Blogs | Grice, Keiser among inactives