Keim: Campbell prognosis to come, no new QB yet

Posted by Darren Urban on October 6, 2014 – 8:12 am

General Manager Steve Keim addressed the two biggest issues facing the Cardinals following Sunday’s loss/injuryfest in Denver during his Monday morning appearance on the “Doug and Wolf” show on Arizona Sports. Obviously, both were injury-related.

Defensive end Calais Campbell is getting an MRI this morning, but Keim said the belief is Campbell has a Grade 2 MCL sprain in his right knee. Keim said Campbell’s prognosis is tough to predict because it can range quite a bit. But it felt like a little optimism. Keim didn’t even close the door on Campbell playing against Washington Sunday (although that would be amazing) although multiple games sitting is definitely possible.

Also clear: Keim wasn’t happy about the Julius Thomas low block that hurt Campbell, saying he’s never seen a player go low on what was essentially going to be a chip block before Thomas ran a pass route. “Hopefully, we’ll never see that again,” Keim said.

— As for the quarterback situation, Drew Stanton will go through concussion protocol and Carson Palmer will continue with his shoulder treatment. Because in theory both could be ready for the Redskins, Keim said the Cardinals aren’t going to add another quarterback. Not yet. That will be determined in the next 24 to 48 hours. Keim wouldn’t divulge what quarterbacks the team would be looking at if they would sign one, although he said there are a lot of considerations that go into it and what they need plays into any decision. Keim noted any practice squad addition means keeping that player for three games on the 53-man roster, which might not make sense if Palmer and Stanton are on the verge of returning (and why Ryan Lindley, on San Diego’s practice squad, might not make sense.) Keim also said it’ll depend what the Cards might be looking for — a third-string guy?  A backup? I don’t think there is any question Logan Thomas is the starter if Palmer and Stanton aren’t playing.

— Tight end Troy Niklas has a high ankle sprain. He too will get an MRI.

— Cornerback Patrick Peterson (ankle) will probably be day to day, but Keim didn’t sound concerned.

— Keim’s total of drops he counted for his receivers? Nine. More than I had. Obviously, not a good total. Keim definitely didn’t sound pleased. “You can’t play like that and expect to win,” he said.

— He didn’t sound pleased with the offensive line. Keim said they played “below average,” and didn’t play in unison.

— Keim on Logan Thomas’ play: “He’s got to learn to get the ball out quicker,” Keim said, “but that will come in time.”

— Keim was pleased with the play of draft picks Deone Bucannon and Kareem Martin. Martin improvement would be important if Campbell is sidelined.

— The injuries don’t feel good for a GM either. “It’s tough,” Keim said. “But again, no one else in the league is going to feel sorry for us.”

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

45 Responses to “Keim: Campbell prognosis to come, no new QB yet”

1. By Big Ken on Oct 6, 2014 | Reply

Lets give Logan a start. Good opportunity for the rookie.

2. By barry on Oct 6, 2014 | Reply

Its getting tough now…real tough the injuries are mounting.

The game was not played wll by the offense at all. the o-line had to many holes and allowed Stanton injury. And the WR core drop to MANY balls you just can’t do that in an important game and expect to win.

Not alot of cohesivness from offense while defense was making up for the mistakes. Just doesnt work. I honestly am pulling for Staton to get back soon. I feel sorry for him at the denver game cause he is a much better player..but the cast around him didn’t help at all. ;-/

3. By D on Oct 6, 2014 | Reply

I really only thought two players played good yesterday, Ellington and the rookie Kicker. Good thing their next game is at home against a Team with a short week and a long travel..

4. By Brad on Oct 6, 2014 | Reply

I love how Keim doesn’t make excuses for his team, he males players accountable!

5. By red bird of death! on Oct 6, 2014 | Reply

This was a rough game for us but I was sad mostly about all the dropped passes, and the secondary who was supposed to be our saving grace was really picked apart Cromartie and our entire secondary is a bit over rated on paper we looked great but no so much. I think if Palmer sucks it up we can get it done at home next week.

6. By Cardsfan1955 on Oct 6, 2014 | Reply

I thought the defense looked tentative all game. Injuries or not, you can’t play defense like that and expect to win. Hey, if the Honey Badger isn’t ready to be the Honey Badger, then get him off the field! I didn’t see him make any plays that made any difference in this game at all. And…no pass rush – of course we knew that it would be an issue going into this game with Peyton. The offense was totally lame, easily our worst effort of the year. The O-Line played pathetically, not giving either quarterback time to step up and throw the ball accurately, acting basically as a revolving door for Ware – with the result being Fitz, Floyd, Brown and Ellington basically eliminated from making those big plays. Give the Broncos defense credit – they played very well, and shut us down. Every year I get my hopes up (especially this year with the SB in town) and every year it seems it’s something else with the Cards. Yes, I’m a fan, a big one in fact and I’m definitely not losing hope. But I got all hyped up for this game and am now feeling very let down.

7. By Andrew P on Oct 6, 2014 | Reply

Really nervous about all these injuries this coming week. Thanks for the update, Darren. Really glad P2 is alright, hopefully Calais can be ready to play versus Washington, but he shouldn’t rush anything. That was a disgusting play. Hope Drew can go through concussion protocol, and end up alright if Palmer doesn’t get his shoulder better. I would love to see Palmer back this week, really miss Palmer. And Darren, quick question. I just saw and article saying the Dwyer pleaded not guilty to hitting his wife… What does this mean for him, and does it also mean anything for Grice?

8. By Darren Urban on Oct 6, 2014 | Reply

Andrew P —

RE: Dwyer

Dwyer is already on reserve/NFI list. He is done for the season, regardless.

9. By rufus on Oct 6, 2014 | Reply

The chop block on Campbell was clearly a coordinated, dirty play by the Broncos to take out a key defensive player. And I doubt the Denver coaches had nothing to do with it. The hit on Stanton was also excessive as he was driven to the ground. Whomever the Broncos play from now on, I will be routing against them.

10. By clssylssy on Oct 6, 2014 | Reply

According to Ian Rapaport, the league has upheld the illegal chop block call that took Calais Campbell out as well as a “lure block” with fines to be announced. Doesn’t sound like the punishment will fit the crime when they are speaking of mere fines rather than suspensions.
    If the league were genuinely interested in player safety they would use this as an opportunity to make their statement and hold the Bronco organization liable as well as the player(s). For most fans this is by far a bigger issue than pot, HGH, or Ray Rice, and the league should at least address on field issues with the same vigor as they do in pursuing off field incidents.
    Hope our players have a speedy recovery and we don’t blow the season waiting around on nature taking it’s course.

11. By jme on Oct 6, 2014 | Reply

Cardinals play was horriable yesterday, toomuch time off over this bye too lazy. they were slow and soft hitting. BA time to get this wagon upright cuz that loss is a seriouse one. Palmer time to play or move on so the team can focus on what they need to do at QB. Stanton you are awesome just your O line was sleeping and now your hurt too, Hulk was playing as bruce banner yesterday. The dropped balls were RIDICULOUS!!!

12. By straussyno1 on Oct 6, 2014 | Reply

Darren, I think this game has really be blown completely out of proportion. I ask anyone to name another team in this league that wins that game against Peyton and Denver with a 3rd string rookie QB playing almost 2 quarters, a load of key WR drops, defensive injuries and poor coverage. Just a bad game with some bad breaks but nothing to hang your hat on. The injuries worry me. This game reminds me of the Saints game last year.

13. By jme on Oct 6, 2014 | Reply

other note, Bengals loss was worse then the Cardinals. Got to win the next 2 hands down with a statement!!! 5-1 just to keep up!!
    Thomas should be suspended 6-8 weeks for that chop, 2nd dirtiest play ive ever seen, the 1st ended a career!!! NFL u protect the Offense, pay attention to D also cuz its getting crazy…

14. By straussyno1 on Oct 6, 2014 | Reply

@Cardsfan1955 – it’s not the be-all-and-end-all. It’s one game as I’m sure Darren would tell you. I can’t think of another team in this league that would have challenged Peyton and Denver with a 3rd string rookie QB, some bad luck injuries and some poor WR drops. You can’t ship blame on the line – the WRs had chances to make plays on the ball but key drops (especially on 3rd down) hurt us from sustaining drives and allowed a injury sticken and tired D to remain on the field. The biggest worry is injuries for now and it would be a massive boost if we had Carson ready for Washington, but this is by no means a season changer – just a blip which occurred as a result of playing a fantastic team.

15. By brianc on Oct 6, 2014 | Reply

Massie is horrible, cut the bum already.

16. By dwoofer on Oct 6, 2014 | Reply

Mr. Keim !!

Tim Tebow is available and would be a great addition to the Cardinals, at least as a back-up QB.

17. By robert on Oct 6, 2014 | Reply

why or why didn’t the cardinals take out one their stars like Von Miller? I would have hit that you know what with the same type of block…i think for the cardinals NOT to retaliate was BS

18. By azqfan on Oct 6, 2014 | Reply

dwoofer, Tebow will never play here. To be a qb for Bruce Arians you need to be able to throw the ball, Tebow can not and has never been able to do that in the NFL.

Receivers played poorly yesterday. Led AGAIN by Fitz dropping the 1st of many. and AGAIN Larry not even knowing where to line up, costing us a time out. This is the 4th time that I can remember that LARRY either ran the wrong route, or lined up in the wrong place. Seems to me his head is not here in AZ, if he keeps playing like this, he won’t be here for long either. Unless he takes a 18-19 million dollar pay cut next year. One of the greatest players in franchise history but there is ZERO chance or reason for him to be here next year without a dramtatically lower cap number.

19. By Scott H on Oct 6, 2014 | Reply

The stretch of games we are about to enter was looking pretty friendly until yesterday. I don’t really think it matters who they are looking at at QB if they need to bring one in. Because if we are down to Logan Thomas as our starter and whoever they can pull in off the street to back him up…forget it. We need either Palmer or Stanton back and ready to go ( and I mean READY TO GO ) for Sunday for me to believe this might be OK.

dwoofer –

Tebow….oooh, good idea! Funny how he is still available after all this time, huh? Dude, the mind is a terrible thing to waste.

straussyNo1 –

It’s not the game yesterday that matters. It’s what kind of shape we’re in going forward that matters. And in case ya haven’t noticed, we ain’t in real good shape right now.

20. By tyman on Oct 6, 2014 | Reply

Agree with BA that was one of the dirtiest plays on the chop block. I would hope the nfl would dish out a suspention. Got to get blantent imjury plays out of the game.

21. By Larry on Oct 6, 2014 | Reply

For the life of me I do not know why they kept Lindley over Skelton in 2013. At least Skelton showed he can win in 2011 going 6-1. If we need a backup the guy is still in Arizona. I think 2012 had allot to do with terrible line coverage and no running game, I say Skelton could easily compete with Stanton.

22. By NJAzCardsFan on Oct 6, 2014 | Reply

The Cards had Hoyer but he wasn’t good enough for the Cards, so they cut him….. Where is he now…???

Winning with the Brown’s

23. By yup on Oct 6, 2014 | Reply

Tim Tebow is a great idea! A proven leader and winner at every level. Took a mediocre Broncos team to a playoff win against the no 1 defense Steelers with his passing prowess (who say he cant pass?) while playing under an offense conservative coach. Let’s not forget he helped lead the no 1 rushing attack and rallied the defense to play above their skill level. A positive influence in any locker room, what is there not to like about Tebow? Only reasons he’s out of the NFL is 1. Peyton 2. bum deal in NY 3. no coach with balls. Maybe that’ll change with Cardinals!

24. By Darren Urban on Oct 6, 2014 | Reply

Yup –

RE: “who says Tebow can’t pass”

Everyone.

25. By Cardsfan1955 on Oct 6, 2014 | Reply

straussyno1 –

You are certainly right, this game was not the end-all for the Cards – but it was an embarrassment, and one that keeps the Cards reputation as an “also ran” team very intact. I have to disagree, the O-Line played terribly. I just forgot to mention all the drops by our so-called explosive receiving corps. Bottom line, yesterday’s performance by the Cards was dreadful. If the O-Line had done a better job (come on, Denver’s seriously not that good on defense), Stanton would have played on and who knows? If all the other bad things didn’t happen, maybe we could have won…probably not, but it should have at least been close. The secondary was so full of themselves going into this season that they were looking for a nickname…I have one right now for them, I but won’t mention it here because I am a fan and my Dad always told me to keep quiet if I didn’t have anything good to say. I know, I’ve said some “bad things” here, but they are true, at least at this point. I haven’t lost faith, but hey the Cardinals were ranked highly going into this game. With yesterday’s play, they looked worse than with Derek Anderson…none of us want to remember those days except to provide motivation of what we don’t want to be as a team. GO CARDS, may you heal up and start playing with more HEART!

26. By yup on Oct 6, 2014 | Reply

Darren – guess he proved u and the so called experts wrong each and every week leading up to the playoff win. Bet all u naysayers were scratching ur head and cursing in disbelief as “all he does is win” (skip bayless). And ur eyes were prob stucked to the tube watching/I daresay praying for him to fail/flop and yet he confounds all of u. and that’s the beauty and tinder for the wildfire aka tebowmania. Sorry ur Steelers got beat by him in the playoffs, no need to hate the player!

27. By Darren Urban on Oct 7, 2014 | Reply

Yup —

RE: Tebow

You do realize he’s not in the league, right? And that he’s not coming back into the league?

28. By Dr. G. on Oct 6, 2014 | Reply

doofer – – really, Tebow? Keim didn’t spend tons of $$$$ on a LT planning to “ever” use a left-handed QB… That screws up the entire O-line. think about it… Plus Tebow throws like the proverbial girl, with large triceps though.

I I am keeping my word on not griping about the Denver stuff ((tempting))….we are 3-1… On to our house to meet Cousins and the Redskins with their totally random disorganized techniques. Roberts is only one of few who looked decent tonight …

Apparently, Thomas had little or no reps; Darren could have done better!!! This week he will be prepared as needed and on we go if Palmer/Stanton can’t go. He will be OK…so says Keim…I believe he can get tons better with reps…And yelling at him can help too…e.g….There is no 10-step drop in the NFL!!!

This injury thing is deserves some serious spiritual luck and fortunes for our guys… later….

29. By Stanford Cardinal on Oct 7, 2014 | Reply

The people who say that Tim Tebow can’t pass are only drinking the Kool-Aid of bitter pundits.

If you want to see how Tebow throws in an offense that isn’t altered for the spread, then look at the three games he played during his rookie season while filling in for an injured Kyle Orton. In a traditional pocket situation, Tebow looked a lot like other rookie QBs in the league — throwing for more than 700 yards in three games while running for about 100 more.

I would love to see Tebow wearing red — even if it was to sit on the bench “just in case” while waiting for Palmer and Stanton to heal. I do think that at least one more QB needs to be signed while Palmer is on the mend.

30. By Stan on Oct 7, 2014 | Reply

I read Larry’s post and had a chuckle, in 2011 Skelton pulled out some big wins in the end, hear is a good analysis of Skelton from a Seahawk fan in 12.

I think it would be a good idea having him around, he also beat SF.

31. By straussyno1 on Oct 7, 2014 | Reply

Cardsfan1955

I’d like to respectfully disagree with your comment that Sunday’s result was an embarrassment. May I remind you we played a team led by a player who is arguably going to go down as the greatest player to ever play the game. There is no shame in losing to Denver. As Scott H pointed out, the worry is going forward with the injuries but we cannot question the talent and heart of this team. They were beat up through injuries, silly mistakes and playing a very good team.

As the for the o-line, I feel like you are lumping blame on them because it’s the easy way out. “Oh, the Cards have never had a good o-line, so why don’t I just ship blame on them”. It’s not Massie or whoever else’s fault that our All-Pro receiver and company couldn’t catch a cold on Sunday. It’s not the o-lines fault that our secondary couldn’t cover their receiver or that we could pressure Manning. In truth, there were various mistake in that game, which injuries only exacerbated. We won’t play a team this season that is as going offensively as Denver.

Oh and also, may I remind you that Denver’s D boasts Von Miller (arguably the best LB pass rusher in the NFL) coupled with DeMarcus Ware (a future HOF), not to mention Aqib Talib, T.J. War. That defense is very underrated and shut us down.

I don’t think this game labels us an ‘almost ran’ team. But it’s knocked us down a few pegs for sure. The best we can do is get players healthy, beat Washington and this game will be but a distant memory.

32. By jme on Oct 7, 2014 | Reply

No worries, Cards will win 6 of 8 starting this Sunday!!! 9-3 going into the critical last 4 games where we will go 3-1, Record 12-4 and win the NFC West with tie breaker over Seatle (div/conf record).

33. By RD1KING on Oct 7, 2014 | Reply

We were in the fight all the way through till Drew Stanton was taken out. Nothing to be so critical about! Now we need to look forward, we have two teams coming up we can handle. Stanton & Palmer will be back by the 3rd game and Logan will be better prepared. GO CARDS!!!

34. By RD1KING on Oct 7, 2014 | Reply

Hope and pray our defensive back-ups are buying into “NEXT MAN UP” !!!
    We need you!!
    GO CARDS!!

35. By Dr. G. on Oct 7, 2014 | Reply

StanfordCardinal – – Never been a fan of someone naively using the Kool-Aid metaphor; it has nothing to do with football. Jim Jones occupation was not in the field of sports…. The term “gullible” can suffice…

36. By barry on Oct 7, 2014 | Reply

question on protection: this video from here:

shows that Massie just let the the blow past him and hit Staton…really? did he try..did he make and attempt to block the DE? he needs to be benched for this kind for poor play it cost us a QB.. piss poor

37. By Jimmy on Oct 7, 2014 | Reply

Tebow is doing college football commentary. I agree with the above re. John Skelton, he won some close games in the fourth in 11. Mike Miller the OC in my opinion was not the best and got an early boot from the Montreal Alouettes in the CFL, methinx that had some to do with in in 12. Skelton knows Fitz and Michael Floyd and could probably adjust if thrown in, plus some of the line. Not putting the guy in against the Jets in 2012 when Lindley was abysmal was critical to his demise as he got thrown in against Seattle cold. He also got yanked too soon against Atlanta when we were up. He apparently had a good camp in Cinci but they went with Josh Johnson whom Jay Gruden had in Tampa and knew the system, only two qb’s there in Cinci. Of note is that Stanton missed open receivers and he did not get yanked. I agree we should have kept Skelton over Lindley.

How is Lindley able to be on the SD practice squad anyway ?

38. By Stanford Cardinal on Oct 7, 2014 | Reply

What does Tebow look like in the pocket?

This is a video from his second start with Denver (in for an injured Kyle Orton) when he was a rookie. There weren’t any special read option plays. They didn’t run a college-style spread offense. This was traditional pocket passing — and Tebow threw for over 300 yards and ran for another 40 in a win over a pretty good Houston team.

39. By Darren Urban on Oct 7, 2014 | Reply

Stanford Cardinal —

RE: Tebow

And again, he was so impressive no team will sign him.

40. By Stanford Cardinal on Oct 7, 2014 | Reply

@ Dr. G: I wasn’t “naively” using the term. Sometimes, a term or phrase extend beyond the original meaning or even anecdotal origin and takes on a meaning of its own. Such semantic changes are normal in modern English.

That said: I hope that my intent was clear enough. Media pundits have criticized Tebow’s throwing motion — but pretend that the specialized offense of 2011 is reflective of his overall ability to throw the ball down the field. I am reminded that several of these same pundits predicted that Russell Wilson would be a bust or that Geno Smith would be a QB prodigy.

I don’t know if the Cards will even sign another QB. If they did, I would love to see Tebow get another opportunity — even if it is simply to sit on the bench while someone else throws the ball.

41. By Cardsfan1955 on Oct 7, 2014 | Reply

straussyno1

I’m not sure what your expectations are for a team that has playoff or superbowl aspirations, but to me that means that you find ways to win against even superior opponents. This said, I expect the Cardinals to show up and compete in each and every game they play, even when they play Peyton Manning. The Cards have the weapons to do this, and I truly believe this team can be special, but I didn’t see that happening in this game. As a team, you can’t let the moment be bigger than you as a team. The quarterbacks shouldn’t be playing against each other so to speak, but against the opposing defense. Our defense was rated #5 overall going into this game, and yet we let Peyton have his way?…the Cards should have put up a better fight, that’s just what I believe. Until we can beat teams like Denver, San Francisco and Seattle on a consistent basis, we are just going to be an “also ran” team. No shame I suppose if that’s all you aspire to…but for a team like the Cardinals who should be very hungry right now, that was a lame effort in my opinion. We could have won this game and the bottom line was we didn’t. Disagree with me all you want…it still bothers me, but I guess we move on…hopefully in an upward direction! GO CARDS!

42. By straussyno1 on Oct 8, 2014 | Reply

Cardsfan1955

Every team in the NFL has playoff or Superbowl aspirations no matter how realistic. At this present moment I feel we need to get into the playoffs again but losing against Denver realistically won’t affect that. Winning in your own division affects that and we are currently 1-0 in that respect. I felt we did compete against Denver until the fourth quarter when the offense became disjointed and injuries started to seep into the defense.

On our D vs Peyton, I’d like to remind you that Manning had a 63% cpr, 303 yards and 2 TDs against Seattle, in Seattle, with no running game whatsoever. Arguably the #1 ranked D in all of football was taken apart by Manning. Manning will have his way most of the time, it’s Peyton Manning. We couldn’t pressure him and the coverage was lazy and that hurts but I’m sure it will be much, much better at home vs the Redskins.

I don’t think, given the context of the game, we could have won the game. You can’t win them all. But it wasn’t a lame effort. I do, however, realise that aspirations have increased based on our 10-6 season. Let’s get key players back healthy and then we will carry on showing we are a team that is not to be underestimated. We need passionate fans who care a lot about the team, which I most definitely believe you do, but we don’t need knee-jerk reactions to a loss against a very good team. This team has fight, it has heart and a win on Sunday will keep this team moving upwards.

43. By Cardsfan1955 on Oct 8, 2014 | Reply

straussyno1, all good points. I’m ready to move on…TRUCE brother, and GO CARDS!

44. By Dr. G. on Oct 8, 2014 | Reply

straussy – – If I may disagree about perhaps getting a win in Denver… The Cards score wise were in the game going into the 4th quarter. But then our Defense laid an egg, and Thomas was not readied. I have not read anything about how Bowles prepared our Defense, but whatever he groomed for Peyton was not executed well for many of our players. On Defense and Offense, anything that could go wrong in the last Quarter….did!

Another note…the DIV is ultimately important, but the CONF comes into play for the Wild Card spots as well. 2-0 in our CONF is a good start. I expect all H – – – to break loose in the last 1/2 of the season with Seattle and the Cards having 5 of their 6 DIV games then…9ers have 4 in the last half… No disrespect to the Rams, but they are having a rough time again… Be well…

2. Oct 13, 2014: Monday’s Love And Loathe List For Week 6 | Cover 7