Zastudil goes to IR; QB Dixon to practice squad

Posted by Darren Urban on October 7, 2014 – 12:56 pm

And the Cardinals officially lose another one.

Among a handful of roster moves Tuesday was the Cardinals putting punter Dave Zastudil on injured reserve with his bad groin, ending his season. He joins linebacker Matt Shaughnessy, who gets the Cardinals’ lone injured reserve-designated to return tag of the season because of cartilage damage in his knee. Shaughnessy must miss at least eight games.

Filling those roster spots are one-for-one moves. Zastudil will be replaced by practice squad punter Drew Butler, who already had filled in for Zastudil in the first three games of the season. Shaughnessy’s spot goes to Marcus Benard, who was cut at the end of the preseason, briefly signed back befoe being cut again, and now returns for a second time. Benard knows the system – he did play here in 2013 too.

It’s been a rough stretch with injuries. The Cardinals have to hope the worst is past.

To fill Butler’s spot on the practice squad, the Cardinals have signed former Steelers quarterback Dennis Dixon, who worked with Bruce Arians in Pittsburgh and knows the system. He’ll be available for practice Wednesday, so the Cardinals are in better shape to promote him if Carson Palmer and/or Drew Stanton cannot make it back for the game.

Zasty

Tags: , , , , , ,

42 Responses to “Zastudil goes to IR; QB Dixon to practice squad”

1. By LadyBird04 on Oct 7, 2014 | Reply

Zastidul is another big loss – truth be told he hasn’t been available much this season and I didn’t think he had full “power” in his kicks in Denver. Sorry for him and hope he can get this fixed before next year. I think he had groin problems before this year as well.

I’m sure they’ve been working with Butler to improve his speed at getting the kicks off – he should be okay. Bernard made some good plays for us and knows the “system” so hopefully it won’t be too big a downgrade from Shaunnessy.

I’m still concerned about the D-line and qb positions as I’m sure all Card fans, ahd coaches are as well.

2. By Patrick Hoog aka Don't Take Losses on Oct 7, 2014 | Reply

Damn fine moves, evidence of Keim simply never caught surprised. Best GM ever. Dixon perfect fit for circumstances (if he’s needed), mobile, can escape while he figures it out, knows BA’s system. I fully expect to beat ‘skins Sunday. Lets bring it Cards, and fans.

3. By T.Stone on Oct 7, 2014 | Reply

Smart move with Dixon. Thanks for Not bringing back Lindley. His Smile freaks me out and his play wanted to make me want to get that NFL Agent Career thing I used to hear on the radio and sign him and push him towards a team not named the Cardinals. Dixon should be just fine for 3 weeks and then he can watch that door on the way out because it swings real hard and it might hit him in the Boo Boo.

4. By David Craven on Oct 7, 2014 | Reply

What’s the likelihood of Drew Stanton being ready for Sunday if Carson Palmer is still a no-go?

5. By Darren Urban on Oct 7, 2014 | Reply

David Craven —

RE: QBs

6. By Marlin on Oct 7, 2014 | Reply

We had a disagreement about the Logan Thomas pass to Ellington. I saw a highlight video of it. You’re right. I stand corrected.

7. By Darren Urban on Oct 7, 2014 | Reply

Marlin —

RE: Thomas pass

No worries.

8. By 'ZonaFan on Oct 7, 2014 | Reply

I’ve always liked Dennis Dixon, don’t really know why he wasn’t given a true chance to be a starting QB in this league. He seemed to do well filling in for Ben Roethlisberger in Pittsburgh, plus he’s a dual threat QB with great speed. I wouldn’t feel too bad with him filling in for us for a game. Go Cards!!!

9. By kauaicardsfan on Oct 7, 2014 | Reply

Wow this weekend was brutal !!! I think the NFL should double the active Roster size, 53 players doesn’t seem enough these days?

10. By cardinal4life on Oct 7, 2014 | Reply

They won’t double that but they should definitely increase the IR to return list at least to 3-4 spots

11. By clssylssy on Oct 7, 2014 | Reply

Wow…sure hate to lose Zastudil (a Captain even) for the season but,like the Dixon signing. Once again, we have a player with history w/Arians and will hope he is as good as Stanton. I think Lindley was a victim of the lynch mob mentality that prevailed the last time we tanked after starting 4-0, followed by devastating injuries, and bringing him back would probably have meant dealing with baggage we don’t have time for now. Our weaknesses have been revealed and it’s time to go to work at fixing what needs repair. We need to focus on the future and take it one win at a time, keeping our eye on the prize. We have some really tough games ahead so can use Denver as a learning experience and grow from it. BACK TO WORK & PROTECT THE NEST!

12. By Marlin on Oct 7, 2014 | Reply

Dixon’s mobility is an asset in a desperate situation. I always liked Benard. Butler’s done a pretty good job. Good moves.

13. By Andy Kw on Oct 7, 2014 | Reply

Right now, all that matters is next man up.
    Yeah, we lost:
    P D. Zastudil (groin), OLB J. Abraham (concussion), DT D. Dockett, ILB D. Washington (suspension) for the season
    & lost
    OLB M. Shaughnessy (8weeks), DE C.Campbell (1-3weeks).

I am hoping QB Carson Palmer returns. He has had weeks to recover so I believe he is at a full go. If not, we have to believe in Logan Thomas. We have 2 of the easier teams to play so it should be okay for these upcoming 2 weeks. We are probably going to adjust our defensive game plan anyways by using a lot of 4-3 plays until Calais returns. Rucker, D.Williams, Ta’amu, Tommy Kelly make up a solid defensive line. I am sure rookies Kareem Martin and Ed Stinson will have many opportunities to show us their untapped talent. Our secondary is still intact with Patrick Peterson, Cromartie, Powers, Jefferson, Mathieu, Buccannon, R. Johnson so at least we are good their. I think Desmond Bishop should go in Okafor’s place as starter for Shaughnessy but next man up so Okafor needs to shine. I don’t care. We need to stay optimistic and get to an attainable 5-1 record. No more comments or posts about uncertainty. We are the Arizona Cardinals and we will work well with whoever we have. I have pride in this team and I will always have pride. I know that we can do anything and beat the odds. We are the #BirdGang and we need to be optimistic for this organization and show them the support they need . NO MORE DOUBT, we are still the CARDINALS!!!!!!

14. By crenshaw finest on Oct 7, 2014 | Reply

cardinals great addition with dennis dixon

15. By wtrabex on Oct 7, 2014 | Reply

The Cards need a better gashing runner in between the tackles, or they need to figure out how to break Ellington open more often. They’ll have to run a lot more than they’re used to with the combination of receivers dropping passes and non-starting quarterbacks being under center.

But I think they’ll win the game against the Redskins, as well.

16. By Mike G on Oct 7, 2014 | Reply

Hey Darren–Hope all is cool! Tough game for the Card’s on Sunday. I came out of the game more worried about the injuries then the outcome of the game. Card’s played tough score was 27-20 in the 4th before Denver pulled away. Losing Stanton hurt them in this game as well as the dropped passes–against Denver you must take advantage of every opportunity. Really upset with the dirty play on Campbell–I thought Denver did it on purpose and the player should be fined and suspended. I think Denver’s offensive line coach Dave Magazu called the chop block to get Campbell out of the game. Campbell made a big play earlier with the pick and I think there was intent to get Campbell out of the game. Ashame about Zastudil and Matt Shaughnessey–Card’s def have the injury bug. Hope the young players can step up and play well. It will be interesting to see how the QB situation shakes out this week against Washington–Hopefully Stanton will pass the concussion protocol and be ready. Darren–I thought Stanton played pretty well at Denver–stats didn’t bear it out—Way too many drops don’t you think?????

17. By T.Stone on Oct 7, 2014 | Reply

Nice drop the Mic moment on the chat Darren. So funny.

18. By Richard S on Oct 7, 2014 | Reply

Like I said before, groin injuries take a long time to heal. It didn’t look like he was physically able in the Denver game, although you have to give him kudos for giving it his best. The big question now is how does Washington take advantage of all the Arizona injuries. If I had to bet and if Washington is capable of doing it, I’d think they’d run a hurry up offense to keep the Cardinal defenders on their heels making substitutions harder. Arizona is a much better team than Washington when whole, when decimated with injuries who knows.

19. By Scott H on Oct 7, 2014 | Reply

Been a rough stretch with injuries? Absolutely devastating is a better description.

Hoping that the worst is behind us? Already been there about 10 times and it just keeps GETTING worse!

No exaggeration, this team is almost un-recognizable from last year’s.

20. By rod on Oct 7, 2014 | Reply

Keim and Co. just keep moving forward. It’s a total bummer about this years never ending issues, just really happy that those guys are at the helm.

NMU = next man up

We can use just the acronym now.

21. By John The Draft Guy on Oct 7, 2014 | Reply

I hope Dixon never makes it off the practice squad.

If he does, that means both Palmer and Stanton can’t go. That would not be good.

What I like about this matchup;

Even with 7 of the front 8 different from last year, we still can stop the run. Minter will be paired with Foote with Rucker, Williams, and Kelly inside. I like how Okafor sets the edge. Acho hopefully holds up, I just dont see Morris having a big day.

Our DBs vs their WRs. Jacksons speed is a concern and Garcon can get deep too, but I think we play a safety over the top.

Our receivers vs their CBs. The skins have some young CBs . I think if we have Palmer or Stanton, our receivers could have a field day provided they decide to catch the ball this week.

What I dont like;

Kerrigan and his 6 sacks vs Massie

Skins jenkins and Hatcher vs our guards. Our guards played terrible last week in Denver. Hatcher has 2.5 sacks this year and had 11 last year. Meanwhile Jenkins and Baker are stout.

The skins have some decent TEs which has always been a problem.

If Thomas starts, we will really struggle to move the ball. I do not think we can win with Thomas.

22. By clssylssy on Oct 7, 2014 | Reply

Everyone is being so over reactive about our receivers when they were being lavished with praise prior to Denver; guess nobody but me noticed the drop balls we had in those games but the good news is that now it’s become an issue and will get addressed. Our receivers are normally better than most and hopefully being at home with lift some of the pressure or whatever was getting to them in Denver. With our QB situation, I hope to see more of our run game so our offense is going to have to step up and help the RBs out. With this kind of talent there is no reason for us not to do well, so, onward and upward! When we played the 9ers we picked up the pace and slammed them hard which is probably what the Redskins will try to do to us to exploit our weaknesses. We played tentative in Denver and they pounded us so let’s be fast and aggressive and don’t take losses! We can come back stronger and smarter! Need to stay on top.

23. By John The Draft Guy on Oct 7, 2014 | Reply

OLB – Shaughnessy
    OLB – Abraham
    CB – Peterson
    CB – Powers
    SS – Bell
    FS – Johnson

Going into the skins game

DE – Rucker
    DT – Williams
    DE – Kelly
    OLB – Acho
    OLB – Okafor
    ILB – Foote
    ILB – Minter / Bucannon
    Cb – Peterson
    CB – Cromartie
    SS – Jefferson
    FS – Johnson

Yes, that’s 3 of the 11 starters last year starting in the game vs skins. If you look at Honey Badger (who started at FS for part of the year) it would be 9 of the 11 starters new.

Of course you don’t recognize this team.

24. By TucsonTim on Oct 7, 2014 | Reply

Where’s Ben Graham??? 🙂

25. By Scott H on Oct 7, 2014 | Reply

Yeah…and it doesn’t stop with the defense! Look at the QB’s if neither Stanton or Palmer can go on Sunday. And on Special Teams, we’re now down-graded from a pro-bowl punter to…someone.

A good friend of mine was at the game in Denver on Sunday ( has a fiancé out there ). He’s also a Seahawks fan, so he was interested in getting a good look at the Cardinals. Very football-knowledgeable guy and because his team plays in the NFC West, he always pays attention to those teams, just as we do as Cardinal fans. Anyway, he calls me on Monday to talk about the game and he literally said had no idea who anyone playing for the Cardinals was. I responded ( half jokingly ) that at this point, I didn’t either!

I am hoping I will know who the QB is on Sunday. Anyone thinking we’ll beat the Redskins easy, regardless of who plays, stands to be rudely awakened on Sunday. When the Redskins aren’t beating themselves, you realize they definitely have some talent on that team. THEY have to be looking at all of the injuries OVER HERE and seeing a game that suddenly looks a whole lot different than it did few weeks ago. It sure looks different to ME than it did a few weeks ago! They aren’t gonna give it to us.

The next man up thing is fine to say, but…everything has its limits. And we are certainly pushing any reasonable limits at this point.

26. By JohnnyBluenose on Oct 7, 2014 | Reply

If Thomas is our quarterback on Sunday it could end up 15-12 with the Catman kicking five field goals. Speaking of kickers…..will Jay Feely be kicking for the Lions when they visit next month?

27. By Phxenfield on Oct 7, 2014 | Reply

Any news on Ta’amu? He was a pretty big rotational player last year and after he came back it has been pretty quite. He was pretty decent for the Cards.

28. By Darren Urban on Oct 8, 2014 | Reply

Phxenfield —

RE: Ta’amu

Like Mathieu, it’s been a slow comeback from ACL tear.

29. By Rhonda on Oct 8, 2014 | Reply

Lol with Dixon, never heard of the guy ! The practice squad is basically standing around watching. Most NEVER see game time. Dumb move IMHO should have got a veteran who has actually won a game. I liked the idea of bringing Skelton back, at least he has won games and comes alive in the fourth.

30. By big red on Oct 8, 2014 | Reply

Our biggest mistake was losing our famous bald headed trainer from the Ken W era. That’s the 1st biggest mistake of Keim’s career, letting him go. We never had injuries like this year, when he was around.

31. By Stephen Boldin on Oct 8, 2014 | Reply

I like the idea of Dixon over Thomas any day. I will watch this development closely by Sunday.

32. By clssylssy on Oct 8, 2014 | Reply

@Scott
    As the old saying goes, “The enemy of my enemy (Broncos) is my friend (Seahawks)”. LOL! I want one of the teams from the NFC West to win the SB this year, and if it can’t be the Cards then I’m fine with the 9ers or the Hawks; never thought I’d find myself saying that, but, I’ve had nothing but contempt for Denver and their dirty play my entire life and would be thrilled to see them miss the playoffs entirely, beat out by the Chargers and Chiefs. In reading an article by Kent Sommers, we have only one lineman,(Dan Williams)from last years front seven, and with Shaunassey now out being replaced by a rookie, it’s no wonder it’s becoming difficult to tell the players without a program! Shows the importance of having those marquis players to look to in providing an identity and sense of relevance. I totally agree that this upcoming game against the Redskins is going to be no gimme; they have talent (Andre Roberts among others) and even playing with Cousins their backup QB, will be in better shape that us unless we pull it together mentally. It was interesting to note that Kent Sommers mentioned the Cards lack of mental focus and desire going into the Denver game with the result being a loss far greater than just a road game.
    We’re all hoping that either Carson or Drew will be able to play Sunday and that will be pivotal, but bringing in Dixon tells me that Arians/Keim have some very big doubts. I think the drops by our receivers can be largely attributed to an inexperienced QB playing in such a SB type pressured atmosphere and should be improved by playing at home.
    Hopefully having a more seasoned coaching staff and the support of the birdgang will help our team get back on the same page,moving forward once again. The Redskins have one of the strongest fanbases in the NFL and this will be a dog fight! LETS GO CARDS, PROTECT THE NEST!

33. By JohnnyBluenose on Oct 8, 2014 | Reply

Re Feely….I guess not. The Lions signed Prater.

34. By infitzwetrust on Oct 8, 2014 | Reply

I’m just thankful that we have an excellent head coach and coaching staff. I think with decent QB play, an if our defense can play with a chip over the next two games, we should be able to handle this 2 game stretch of weaker opponents. I also see us having a good run over the next 5 games:

WAS – Win
    OAK – Win
    PHI – Toughest game within this time frame; possible loss
    DAL – Depending on what Dallas team shows up, should be a win
    STL – Win

I only see us loosing one game out of the next 5 which I feel will be between Dallas or Philly. That will put us at a 7-2 mark and hopefully by that time in the season we will be much healthier, especially at QB. The biggest thing about our schedule is the fact that 4 of the last 6 games are all division games, and if we are going to have any chance at making the playoffs, we have to get as many wins outside of the division to be able to cushion a loss to Seattle and/or San Francisco.

We simply need to be 1st or 2nd in our division to have a chance. And I feel sweeping San Fran and splitting with Seattle, or any other similar combo between those teams, will be what needs to happen to get in.

35. By NJAzCardsFan on Oct 8, 2014 | Reply

At the current loss rate of players… how long before the Cards start holding tryouts in the parking lot…???

36. By Gary Whitener on Oct 8, 2014 | Reply

Do you see any chance of signing a power runner to compliment Ellington such as a BenJarvus Green-Ellis or similar? I know he was rehabbing an injury but I think he is still unsigned.

37. By Darren Urban on Oct 8, 2014 | Reply

Gary —

RE: New RB

No I do not.

38. By Dr. G. on Oct 8, 2014 | Reply

Time flies ! – – Remember when Butler’s dad kicked for the Cards? He has the “leg”…just needs to put more air under the ball for the gunners to have a little more time. Now ‘Zaro needs to do the holding….?

39. By Richard S on Oct 8, 2014 | Reply

It looked to me like Denver got the running game going after Shaunessy (not sure of spelling and Campbell went down. It looked like they had little trouble running to Campbell’s side once he went down. Hope his replacement can stop the run against Washington and Oakland. The Cards need these 2 wins with the schedule getting more difficult in the weeks ahead.

40. By Scott H on Oct 8, 2014 | Reply

clssylssy –

Very well said. Clever!

infitz we trust –

With the state of un-certainty we are in right now with our QB’s, how can ya even know who the Cardinals are going to be for ANY of these games??? With our QB’s fine and ready to go, the Cardinals SHOULD probably win every one of those games. They would probably drop one because winning 5 in a row is hard to do in the NFL and the Eagles & Cowboys are pretty good teams right now. Or, so says their records. But in our present state of un-certainty? Hate to say it but only the Raiders game looks like a safe win right now.

Heck, the Rams have been decimated by injuries as well and they still managed to give the Eagles a heck of a game last week in Philly.

And the Cowboys are looking like a damn good team right now. Romo is avoiding his usual mistakes, he has plenty of targets ( Dez Bryant is virtually un-stoppable ), and that passing game is being helped by the NFL’s best running game right now. They are a handful for anyone right now.

41. By Colton on Oct 9, 2014 | Reply

Why is it that Josh Gordan gets special treatment and has his suspension reduced but Washington doesn’t when they got suspended for the same violations? The NFL seems to be dropping the ball a lot this season.

42. By Darren Urban on Oct 9, 2014 | Reply

Colton —

RE: Gordon/Washington

What makes you think they had the same violations?