The NFL, L.A., and Raiders in NFC West?

Posted by Darren Urban on October 8, 2014 – 11:40 am

There has been talk about the NFL returning to Los Angeles for, well, ever. At least since the Raiders and Rams bailed so many years ago. Stadium issues remain for a few teams, making them candidates. So here’s one theory, floated by Bleacher Report’s Jason Cole. In Cole’s scenario, both the Chargers and the Raiders would move, from down south and up north, respectively, to the Los Angeles area. Both teams haven’t been able to make inroads on new stadiums in their current homes.

Both teams are in the AFC West. Cole makes the (good) point it’s tough to have two teams in the same city in the same conference, much less the same division. Cole said the Raiders would be willing to move to the NFC West in this scenario. A team would have to go from the NFC West to the AFC West, and Cole speculates that Seattle — which was in the AFC West from 1976 to 2002 — would just go back. And then new NFC West would be the 49ers, Raiders, Cardinals and Rams.

That would definitely make for an interesting change (and a personal bummer, since I enjoy visiting the city of Seattle.) Seems like a major longshot to me. Actually, any team in L.A. still seems like a longshot to me until a stadium is actually being built. But it’s something to debate. The L.A. question always is. Remember when the Cardinals were deemed the logical team to move to L.A.? Then this game happened, a stadium was approved, and that talk went away.

RaidesNFCW

Tags: , , ,

26 Responses to “The NFL, L.A., and Raiders in NFC West?”

1. By D on Oct 8, 2014 | Reply

Darren
    Any rumblings on some current players with working on getting extensions done during the year? C. Palmer, Dan Williams, Mike Leach, Housler…isn’t Catanzaro on a exclusive rights tag?
    thanks

2. By Darren Urban on Oct 8, 2014 | Reply

D —

RE: Extensions

Nothing right now.

3. By kauaicardsfan on Oct 8, 2014 | Reply

Aloha Darren,
    Off subject but I noticed they were no fine sent down yet for CC chop block? Did I miss it or is the NFL looking the other way on this ???

Mahalo for all you do for us fans and keep us in the loop!

4. By Darren Urban on Oct 8, 2014 | Reply

Kauai —

RE: Fine

5. By Ben on Oct 8, 2014 | Reply

Personally would love it since I live in LA. That would be one game I would never miss.

6. By blaxabbath on Oct 8, 2014 | Reply

Darren-

Which trip (travel only) is harder for the team — to STL or to SEA?

7. By Darren Urban on Oct 8, 2014 | Reply

blax —

RE: “harder”

There’s no difference.

8. By CreditCard on Oct 8, 2014 | Reply

I live in he Four Corners area, as a result I get Bronco news media. A program called the Broncos Huddle, Sanders and Thomas went over their “rub” play AKA pick play. In any event, they said they knew the Cards play exclusively man to man, and knew as a result they knew they would be susceptible to that particular play. They also went on to say used it many times last Sunday, thinking the Cards would adjust. Is there a reason the Cards don’t mix in a zone here and there? Is it due to the lack of a formable pass rush w/o having to blitz? Seems to me, being predictable on any facet would doom any team in the NFL.

Also, the Bronco Huddle showed a practice drill of the receivers throwing and catching a round 20 lb medicine ball between each player before a game. They say it loosens and widens the hands and makes catching a football like catching a tennis ball. Do the Cards do the same thing?

9. By Darren Urban on Oct 8, 2014 | Reply

Credit —

RE: Medicine ball

Not that I know of.

10. By Scott H on Oct 8, 2014 | Reply

Darren –

OK, it’s wed night ( well, out here on the east coast, anyway )…do we know any more about Palmer’s arm or Stanton’s head than we did this morning?

This season is killin’ me, I swear! Here we are in the middle of the week and our QB situation for Sunday is completely up in the air! The possibilities seem to range from Palmer AND Stanton being available to at least ONE of them being healthy to NEITHER of them being available and Logan Thomas being our starting QB.

Hmmm…what if we take Palmer’s head and put it on Stanton’s body? Or take Stanton’s arm and hook it up to Palmer’s body? OR maybe we take Palmer’s head AND Stanton’s arm and attach them both to THOMAS’ body? Just trying to think outside the box a little…I got nothin’ else, folks, I really don’t.

11. By georgiebird on Oct 8, 2014 | Reply

Seattle out of West and Raiders in. It should have happened 5 years ago.

12. By K-Dub on Oct 8, 2014 | Reply

Wow the possibility of having two franchises in this division with no class fans. SMH

13. By clssylssy on Oct 8, 2014 | Reply

WOW! If I were a Charger or a Raider fan I would be totally ticked off and would be ready to give up on the NFL and just follow college football. LA has already failed TWICE to make a go of professional football and this little experiment with trying to force a market that clearly isn’t there is about the most arrogant thing I’ve ever heard of(besides the London thing),not to mention, that it would totally upset the existing divisions. LA has the LA Kiss arena team now and when competing for the fan dollar, I have a feeling that Gene Simmons and Paul Stanley know a lot more about entertainment than Roger Goodell and given the choice of being entertained at a reasonable fee vs. paying through the nose too see some fledgling
    startup NFL team lose for years will be an easy choice. While some fans may want to see the Cards in a weaker division I believe that would be counterproductive and instead of a franchise rising to the level of the rigid competition in our division, it would only serve to lower our standards of play. It seems that the greed of the Owners and the Commissioner know no limits and no team fan base is really safe from being uprooted and moved to a “target market”. I have supported the Cards for twenty years after moving here from Kansas City and I would not support this team if it were to become the LA Cards, the Las Vegas Cards or whatever; there is something to be said about hometown pride. That said, I hope that Mr. Bidwill will think about the fans when voting on this issue and ask himself if he would want to rebuild a fan base after working so hard to get one established and if the fans don’t deserve a say.
    I see where Logan Thomas is taking reps with the first team and Carson is going back to Denver for another consult so things are not really looking that hopeful and
    we REALLY need to keep winning at home to have a chance at turning this around as some of our guys start making it back. It didn’t seem that Tyrann was that active against Denver and I’m wondering if his progress was perhaps being exaggerated to keep the fans hopeful. Any news on the possibility of Tyrann being healthy enough to possibly being a “secret weapon”? I also read that Stanton was throwing the ball at practice so am wondering if that means he was cleared medically and passed his concussion protocols?

14. By Dynosoar on Oct 8, 2014 | Reply

Scott H.

Personally, I like “maybe we take Palmer’s head AND Stanton’s arm and attach them both to THOMAS’ body.”

Yeah, I’ve got nothing else either.

15. By Eazy E on Oct 9, 2014 | Reply

Hell naw, don’t do it, please don’t do it(Drake Voice)!

16. By roknsoul on Oct 9, 2014 | Reply

Bring Back LOS ANGELES RAMS, keep Raiders in Oakland

2. Feb 19, 2015: Chargers, Raiders propose joint stadium in LA | Local National News
  3. Feb 19, 2015: Chargers, Raiders propose joint stadium in LA | SearchSportsNews.com
  4. Feb 19, 2015: Chargers, Raiders propose joint stadium in LA - Football Queens
  5. Feb 19, 2015: Chargers, Raiders propose joint stadium in LA | VanStarVideos
  6. Feb 19, 2015: Chargers, Raiders propose joint $1.7 billion stadium near LA – CBSSports.com | Around the World
  7. Feb 20, 2015: Chargers, Raiders propose joint stadium in LA | SportsNewsProvider.com
  8. Feb 20, 2015: Chargers, Raiders propose joint stadium in LA | CompleteSportsNews.com
  9. Feb 20, 2015: Chargers, Raiders propose joint stadium in LA - NFL and NCAA FootballNFL and NCAA Football
  10. Feb 20, 2015: Chargers, Raiders propose joint stadium in LA | RapidSportsNews.com
  11. Feb 20, 2015: Chargers, Raiders propose joint stadium in LA | DiscoverSportsNews.com