Stanton better, not cleared; QB situation still muddy

Posted by Darren Urban on October 9, 2014 – 2:23 pm

There was no real update in the Cardinals’ not-sure-who-is-gonna-start quarterback situation. Drew Stanton wasn’t at practice at the outset, when it is open to the media, but showed up later and was officially limited again, as was Carson Palmer. Stanton was in good spirits after practice, talking for the first time since suffering his concussion Sunday in Denver. Stanton said he’s been happy to at least be cleared for non-contact throwing — Stanton said with a smile it helps his position is non-contact in practice anyway — and that he will take the concussion tests again Friday.

Stanton still hopes to be cleared and be available Sunday. He said he is symptom-free. Palmer was throwing some at the outset of practice again, but it’s impossible to tell if he was truly improved. He wasn’t available to talk and offensive coordinator Harold Goodwin did not address Palmer’s health directly. It’s a good sign Palmer hasn’t regressed at least.

At this point, it would not be a surprise in the least to not know who is starting at quarterback before Sunday. If Stanton is cleared but the Cardinals don’t deem him quite ready to start, I could see all three guys on the 46-man active roster for the game and not knowing who is going to start until near gametime (although it would probably leak before then.)

I can say this with certainty: All the players talking about it Thursday either don’t know themselves who will start or are doing a great job keeping up with a charade. I think it’s the former. Bruce Arians will talk again tomorrow. We’ll see what Friday brings.

— If starting right guard Paul Fanaika, who sat out again Thursday with ankle and calf problems, can’t play, then he will be replaced in the lineup by Jonathan Cooper. Ted Larsen will stay on the left side.

Tags: , ,

28 Responses to “Stanton better, not cleared; QB situation still muddy”

1. By T.Stone on Oct 9, 2014 | Reply

Good, Then we will know what Cooper is made of? Is he made from the mold of not preparing like M. Vick, or is he made of the mold of K. Warner who was ready when he got his chance. We will find out. CANT WAIT!!!

2. By jme on Oct 9, 2014 | Reply

Palmer i bet will play, the nerve is awake and its time to play ball!!! I bet CC will be back next week also and Im sure stanton will be cleared aswell. All the bad things that have happened its time for some positive things to start happening. Go Cards, dont relax cuz skins are going to bring it to you. Time to get the running game open and play action to deep balls to Floyd plus a Fitz TD, we need that for its energy!! Most importantly we need to “Catch the Ball”!!!

3. By D on Oct 9, 2014 | Reply

Darren, wasn’t there talk in the last owner’s meetings to expand the game day roster to 52? I don’t understand why this hasn’t been addressed in the last 5 yrs (The Concussion years)

Glad to see A. Roberts getting good playing time for the Redskins..

4. By Marlin on Oct 9, 2014 | Reply

I’ll bet Stanton starts……Palmer is dressed as the backup…….Thomas is 3rd on the field.

5. By joe holst on Oct 9, 2014 | Reply

I think Logan starts and plays the whole game, the Cards are trying to keep Washington from knowing who to prepare for. If you use Palmer or Stanton and they get crushed on a play it could be really bad or season ending for them, unfortunately.

6. By clssylssy on Oct 9, 2014 | Reply

If Thomas plays the entire game, we might as well forget it. There is NO WAY he can develop chemistry with his receivers in one week of practice, and while he was here for OTAs, minicamp, and camp, he’s not Russell Wilson.It would be really unfair to put him in that position and ruin his chance for a future. The better option would be to put Dixon in if it comes to that, at least he knows how BA thinks and has enough experience to connect. Since Stanton is symptom free that is a very good sign and I would bet he is cleared on Friday.Stanton would still give us the best chance at winning and being at home will make a huge difference with the entire team. With Palmer going back to Denver this week, even for follow-up, he hasn’t really thrown for over a month and I don’t see his arm being strong enough to play an entire hour cold. We didn’t have a winning attitude going into Denver, it was talked about on this site before the game and Kent Sommers addressed it in his column as well. Attitude is everything and if you want to get to the Big Dance then you need to play every game like it determines our destiny which we found out.
    Things feel better…just my gut, but there seems to be an undercurrent of optimism that Coach BA seems to be almost TOO quiet about. Maybe he just doesn’t want to encourage false hope that will bite him later. I’m going to be a “glass half full” thinker and believe that the team got a rather rude wake-up call and will be ready to roll on Sunday. Let’s play fast, physical and smart…PROTECT THE NEST at all costs! Let’s get back to establishing a winning streak!

7. By LG on Oct 9, 2014 | Reply

Massie man kept beat him last week that’s why Stanton got knocked out the game last week I hope he do better blocking this week.

8. By Dr. G. on Oct 9, 2014 | Reply

Hey Darren, Thanks for this update; everyone is curious with all the changes to roll with the injury flow. The depth chart helps too, though it may be difficult to keep updated with all the happenings.

I am happy to see that if Cooper plays, he will be on the right side so our QB can have a better eyeball on the rush on his drop back. I would bet that the coaches do this for our right-handed QB’s.

I get the feeling that Coop has some jitters that he cannot shake, though the coach tries to dissuade his concern. We don’t want him to be the big gentle teddy bear on the field…he can save that for off-the-field activities….later… Thx again…

9. By Dr. G. on Oct 9, 2014 | Reply

The Redskins look better on paper that their W/L record. The Cards cannot think they can take a mulligan on this game. The home crowd will help cheer them to victory… And, I have a feeling all the substitutions/replacements players will take this game seriously to prove that character matters…. G’day

10. By Scott H on Oct 9, 2014 | Reply

I say the BEST overall scenario is that Palmer appears to be getting better for real and he continues to throw with no setbacks AND Stanton is cleared to play Sunday. If we get those two miracles, let Stanton start and hopefully make it through the game, which we should absolutely win. Let Palmer continue building his strength, getting that shoulder all the way back and let him come back the week following.

And tell the offensive line they better play their damn tails off to protect these guys!

11. By krehbieo14 on Oct 9, 2014 | Reply

T. Stone-
    Contrary to all the jabs that Jonathan Cooper has taken from fair weather fans, I am sure he will do just fine. Michael Vick???

12. By mal on Oct 9, 2014 | Reply

Darren-

If youre forced to bet, this is Logan’s first start, right?

Putting aside the fans’ wishful thinking, any player at any position is almost never allowed anymore to come back in just one week following a concussion.

And even if Carson’s shoulder suddenly heals at the last second, they wont risk re-injury.

13. By clssylssy on Oct 9, 2014 | Reply

According to NFL.com, Greg Roskopf, the founder and CEO of Muscle Activation Techniques, cautioned that Palmer could suffer another setback if he pushes too hard.”It’s a very delicate line, he stated, if he exceeds his tolerance level at the time, then it almost puts it back to sleep. It shuts it down again.”
    Doesn’t seem like his “tolerance level” after inaction for over a month would likely sustain an hour of heavy activity, and while BA is known as a risk taker, I doubt that includes risking the rest of his QB’s season on a wing and a prayer.
    @T.Stone
    If you remember, Kurt Warner walked away with a year left on his contract because of a concussion and having the wisdom to know that while the spirit is willing sometimes the body just isn’t on the same page. Cooper is working his way back into the lineup and his recovery has nothing to do with “what he’s made of” anymore than the Honey Badgers’ or others…geez!

14. By John The Draft Guy on Oct 9, 2014 | Reply

Well LG,

Massie will go against Kerrigan, who has 6 sacks this year.

The best way to slow Kerrigan down is run at him. Give Massie a chance to drive block a little bit and wear down Kerrigan. The skins are not great against the run.

15. By John The Draft Guy on Oct 9, 2014 | Reply

krehbieo14

“Contrary to all the jabs that Jonathan Cooper has taken from fair weather fans”

Funny, I have had season tickets since 1991, That’s 24 years. From 1994 to 2000, I moved to Texas, but flew back for the games.

But because I don’t fall into the company line and agree with Keim about Cooper, I’m a fair weather fan? smh

Keim made a mistake. You don’t take guards in the top 10. Cooper was beaten out and will only play if someone is injured. Period.

Of course, even if he plays and plays well, he will go back to the bench when Faniaka comes back. Remember, they said they will stick with the starters due to continuity. If he satyed in, that would mean they weren’t telling the truth, now wouldn’t it.

BTW, Weren’t you the person crying a few post back about calling names, but it is ok for you to call people fair weather fans.

I also find it interesting that people kill Levi Brown on this blog, who started 20 games at RT on our super bowl run, keeping Kurt upright and started on day one in 2007. It wasn’t till he was moved out of position to the LT that he played poorly. But there are so many defenders of Cooper, who has played 1 NFL play and got blown up and can’t beat out journeyman. (and believe me , the last two games, the guards have played poorly)

16. By Cardman on Oct 9, 2014 | Reply

clssylssy,

I don’t want to worry you or anybody else, but Greg Roskopf’s “muscle activation techniques” appears to be pseudoscience. I guess when Palmer said he was trying everything, he wasn’t kidding. Palmer’s doing everything he can, because he probably feels a great deal of pressure and doesn’t want to let our team down. That makes me respect him even more, even if he is somewhat misguided.

17. By Eazy E on Oct 10, 2014 | Reply

QB, QB, QB… SMH

18. By jme on Oct 10, 2014 | Reply

Pseudoscience? too funny. Cardman your misguided. Oh wait you said appears to be so their is some room for you to be wrong. Well then, your wrong. Go Cardinals!!

19. By davemaham on Oct 10, 2014 | Reply

Am I the only one who doesn’t care who starts at QB? Situations like this are why we should all be glad to have a great defense. This game will be on our defenses shoulders, regardless of who starts. Campbell is a huge loss, but one man does not make this defense. They can and will carry the team to a victory, they need some redemption, and will get it!

20. By Dr. G. on Oct 10, 2014 | Reply

JTDG – – You argue your point well on the drafting of Cooper. But now, all we can do is try to make expensive lemonade. This is why it serves the O-line better to keep him on the right side as I posted earlier; at least our QB ((right handed)) has a little more warning if he can see an unblocked rush coming. I wish Coop success, but he needs to earn it now. My critique is only based upon the MD’s and Coachs’s assessment. I still hope it is just jitters…that go away soon.

21. By clssylssy on Oct 10, 2014 | Reply

While many fans probably don’t watch other teams and only determine an opponents toughness and skill by the number of W’s and L’s or possibly ranking in their division, this is pure foolishness. The Cards have often found that some of their most hard fought wins and most painful losses were against teams we were favored against. The Redskins are deceiving and while they may be last in their division, they have some real talent and have so far put up 14 TDs to our 8 (Rams even have more TDs than we do); they have found a way to be successful in the Red Zone where we have missed. We need to find a way to change this if we have any hope of making the playoffs even, let alone the SB. Whether they have Cousins or RGIII under center our defense is going to have to be aggressive and keep them from scoring.
    Fans seem to foget that Rogers sat for five years behind Favre before becoming the player he is, and the rush to get Thomas starting blows my mind. Nick Foles sat for over a year in Philly and still hasn’t gotten it down pat so why rush Thomas when we have an excellent backup in Stanton,if he can play, and a viable option in Dixon?
    On another note, Katy Perry halftime entertainment for the SB? REALLY? How totally embarrassing; even my high schoolers moved on from her when they were in Jr.High. With all the past great halftimes…The Who, Michael Jackson,Prince, U2, and all the entertainers who live here locally, one would think they could have done better!

22. By Dr. G. on Oct 10, 2014 | Reply

clssy – – Katy Perry? In watching some of her performances, she is a machine that presents no heart or soul…very robotic physically and emotionally. And with the debate of charging a fee to the performers, I am all for it. Her fee should be doubled just for choosing a scum to wed. These pretenders always get a significant free jump in their sales following the Super Bowl. Let the NFL charge a fee and give it to needy charities throughout our country…. Good for everyone!

I think JTDG would join me in having a respite during half-time. I go to see football, not some imaginary Hollywood stuff. Many of them have been just bad along with bad acoustics in the stadium…only OK for TV viewing.

Redskins? Andre Roberts would love to burn our corners a couple times. This opponent is streaky on both offense and defense. We need to be wary of them. We will be at the game encouraging a very loud welcome when Cousins is behind center… Go Cards!!!

23. By John The Draft Guy on Oct 10, 2014 | Reply

clssylssy,

I agree with you comments about the redskins. They can score and the defense can sack the QB. They struggle against the run a bit though.

I also agree Thomas is not ready (although I believe he will never be ready)

But got to correct you. Rogers started year 4 after sitting 3 years behind Farve.
    Foles didn’t sit out a year, he started 6 games as a rookie.

I get your point and agree I would rather see Dixon than Thomas, but ……

24. By Scott H on Oct 10, 2014 | Reply

davemaham –

RE: “Campbell is a huge loss but one man does not make this defense”

Dude, that one stopped me in my tracks. Did you REALLY just say that??? ONE MAN??? I WISH our defense was only missing ONE MAN. But for those of you have apparently not been paying attention, here is the long and distinguished list of MEN we have lost on defense –

Calais Campbell
    Matt Shaughensey
    Darnell Dockett
    Karlos Dansby
    Daryl Washington
    John Abraham
    Why do I think I’m missing someone????

Also, Frostee Rucker has been dinged along the way, missed some time, and the Honey Badger has not been at full go. Peterson also sprained his ankle last Sunday.

And here you come with ONE MAN doesn’t make this defense??? My God, man, you have GOT to be kidding me. This team has lost SO much more than one man on defense.

25. By Scott H on Oct 10, 2014 | Reply

So, it appears our QB situation will be a near game-time decision. Hmmm…Ok, that is good in that it implies that Palmer and / or Stanton are at least in the realm of possibility to play. BUT it really ain’t so great because – unless this is all just a smoke screen and the team DOES know who will be starting on Sunday – how do you prepare / practice / install the game plan during the week when you don’t know who your QB is???

I still say Stanton being able to go for this one is what we should most hope for. And if Palmer can stay on track with his shoulder, get him ready for the week following.

If we have to roll with Logan Thomas….I gotta tell ya, that scares me. I think that favors the Redskins. I think anyone believing we will be fine with Thomas or the other kid we just picked up is engaging in magical thinking.

Pisses me off because with either Palmer OR Stanton, I think this stretch of the next five games would have allowed us to pile up some more wins before the schedule gets a little tougher.

26. By John The Draft Guy on Oct 10, 2014 | Reply

Dr G,

Believe it or not, I hope Cooper does well also. I’m a card fan and it benefits the cards if he does. It really has little

My comments are more directed at fans who think if you have an opinion outside of what Keim thinks, you are wrong or a fair weather fan. They struggle to think for themselves or be able to see things as they are. When someone goes outside the team lines, they are wrong or not a fan.

Going off of what Arians said after the niners game. He was asked about the play of the oline. He said the tackles did good but the guards didn’t. He was then asked about cooper getting a chance. At first he danced around but then ended it with, he hasn’t earned it.

That says it all to me.

27. By William Barry on Oct 10, 2014 | Reply

Just one game at a time…..we will be fine….GO CARDS, ON THE WHOLE, our offensive line has played better than last year, and has given Stanton time to throw. Its our receiver who are dropping the ball. I’m sure BA will correct the drops.

28. By Cardman on Oct 10, 2014 | Reply

jme,

I guess you took me to school. Thanks! I needed to be humbled. Could you just do me one small favor. Provide me with some peer-reviewed journal articles from respected scientific journals on MAT and how much more effective it is than any practice in evidence-based medicine. You’re probably a busy person, so just give me one. And don’t forget the link. Many thanks!