“It’s really nice to have three quarterbacks”

Posted by Darren Urban on October 15, 2014 – 1:49 pm

That sound you hear is zero drama coming from the Cardinals’ practice complex this week. All the quarterbacks are on the field today, full go, and after last week, even Bruce Arians can smile at that notion.

“It’s really nice to have three quarterbacks,” Arians said.

Carson Palmer’s arm isn’t 100 percent. It isn’t rest he needs but reps, Arians said, to build strength in that right arm. Nevertheless, Palmer’s arm is “more than serviceable,” Arians said.

“The thing he keeps telling me is that (his arm) is great,” Arians said. “I know it’s not great, but it’s a lot better.”

Palmer said he continues to work on his protocol to work on his shoulder, and he remains cautious about saying when he’ll be 100 percent. But he doesn’t sound worried about it much at all anymore, as long as he keeps doing the rehab he has been doing.

“I’m probably as excited a guy as there is in the league for practice today,” Palmer said.

— The official injury report probably won’t be out until later today, since the Raiders don’t even get off the practice field until after 5 p.m. Only four Cardinals are missing practice totally: DE Calais Campbell (knee), who just started jogging and would be a long shot to play this week; TE Troy Niklas (ankle); TE John Carlson (knee), who took that shot to his leg on the opening catch of the game last Sunday; and DE Frostee Rucker (calf), who is going to have to be smart with his injury likely for the balance of the season. Rucker and Carlson should be fine to play in Oakland, Arians said.

In the open part of practice, RB Andre Ellington (foot) was also sitting out. Like Rucker, he’s trying to manage his injury.

Tags: ,

12 Responses to ““It’s really nice to have three quarterbacks””

1. By Scott H on Oct 15, 2014 | Reply

In a world that was fair and just, the Arizona Cardinals would be exempt from any further injuries this year. They have ALREADY suffered more losses than most teams probably will ALL YEAR!

That said, it IS simply wonderful to have all our QB’s up and going in practice. This time last week, we were looking at Logan Thomas starting and Joeybaggadonuts as our back-up. That was scary! I certainly don’t want Palmer to push the arm too hard too soon but since what the shoulder apparently needs is reps / work, I would love to see some down-the-field throws with zip on them on Sunday.

Gotta tell ya, this game makes me a little nervous. The Raiders played the HELL out of the Chargers last week and MADE the Chargers beat them. Ok, maybe the Chargers went in a little lackadaisical because it was the Raiders but if that is the case, then there is a lesson to be learned there. Yes or no, the Raiders should not be taken lightly. The Chargers needed 31 to win that game and that is more than the Cardinals have scored yet this year. I’m looking at the Raiders as a frustrated bunch with nothing to lose and those teams can be dangerous. The Cardinals seem to be having some trouble playing at the level they are capable of, at least not for a full 60 minutes. That adds to my nervousness.

The Cardinals shouldn’t have to play their best game to beat the Raiders, that is for sure. But with the Eagles looming, it sure would be nice to see them put that best game on the field this week. Would LOVE to see then bury the Raiders early and just keep their foot on the gas all the way through. Having to struggle late to beat the Raiders in a close one is just NOT gonna feel good.

Time to kick in into gear. Let’s roll.

2. By T.Stone on Oct 15, 2014 | Reply

The Cardinals have 3 QB’s. Only 2 that can win a game however. Sorry Rook, go tell Stoney Case you will pick up the keg.

3. By Dynosoar on Oct 15, 2014 | Reply

krehbieo14,

Please allow me to address your post from the last blog post. You said…

“How about a picture of D. Snyder spitting on the floor of our Cardinals Stadium before he made his early exit over a temper tantrum regarding a “missed call?” The man’s disgusting and disrespected our team! He could give a rats a… about the Native Americans in this country.”

You may or may not be correct. Was he disrespecting our team or was he just seriously angry over a call that could have gone either way, but certainly impacted the scoreboard? I don’t know, I didn’t ask him and neither did Berry. I do agree spitting on the floor is rude at best, but I don’t know who he was disrespecting, our Cardinals, the refs, the NFL, others, all. I don’t know.

Does he respect the Native American’s of this country, he says he respects Native Americans and I can’t read his mind to verify or disprove his claims. So do you have a valid source that he doesn’t respect them?

I Can Do Some Math Though and this is the equation I’ve looked at. Dan Snyder gives obscene amounts of money to the Republican Party. The only Congressman that wrote a letter calling for a name change were Democrats. In fact, every Democrat Senator signed the letter. Every one of them and not a single Republican. Hmmm.

This is not really the forum to weigh in on politics and I’m not here to do that, besides the Dems and Harry Reid already did (incidentally, I vote candidates for several parties, so this is not about party for me, but apparently it is for those NOT receiving Dan Snyder’s monies.)

I don’t believe this is a racial issue for the name change. The paragraphs above demonstrate a simple and clear message; if you support the Republican party on a high monetary level, as our President stated “my enemies will pay.” Apparently this goes for football teams as well. And the Dems will get it into the news and cry foul. Beware my friends.

Dan Snyder is facing the machine of politics, PC and the media. I for one am hoping he prevails. Politics don’t belong in sports.

Now back to football.

4. By Dynosoar on Oct 15, 2014 | Reply

Scott H.

did you notice my quarter by quarter points allowed post the other day. We’ve given up far more points in the second quarter than any other, even more than Peyton’s fourth quarter.

If we play the second qtr like we play the others, we’ll win every game. (well, except the last one against Denver, but we’d have been ahead going into the half and maybe then we would have.

5. By Dynosoar on Oct 15, 2014 | Reply

I just read breaking news regarding a press conference to be held at 10am EST. Dan Snyder is going to announce a name change. According to internal polls, Washington Redskins is an offensive name. They will now be the Virginia Redskins, the politics of Washington are too offensive.

6. By D on Oct 15, 2014 | Reply

Not much talent on this Oak roster, although they have a RB on their PS that did well running between the tackles in College, G. Atkinson I would interested in stealing. (I know it also takes the Off line to open holes)

He would do the same as player as S. Taylor but more physical and bigger. Maybe playing Cooper at G could be the answer to get the running game going.

7. By Scott H on Oct 15, 2014 | Reply

Dynosaur –

OK. Interesting. Hey, with all of the slow starts we’ve had this year and the fact that we have trailed at some point in EVERY game this year, I just want to see this team start fast and never let a game be in doubt. And as much as I said this game makes me a little nervous, it is also a game against a considerably inferior opponent. So….if not now, when??? It is time to open a can of whup ass on someone.

Attack first, attack hard, never stop attacking! Time to get this offense into gear. Time to get into the left lane and GO.

8. By clssylssy on Oct 15, 2014 | Reply

I agree with Scott H…this game with the Raiders makes me VERY nervous. It is always a trap to assume any team in the NFL is going to be a walk, especially based on their W/L record or even their play previous. In the not so distant past, most people thought the Cards were a “soft” team despite our talent and actual play on the field. This is the NFL and any given Sunday, Monday, Thursday, etc., a dark horse will pull an upset. Some of our most difficult losses have been against teams we were SUPPOSE to beat. Oakland has a new coach and played a hard fought battle against the #1 Chargers last week who barely pulled off the win. This is a fired up team who came so close and are hungry for victory now that they know it’s possible. On the other hand we have been winning largely because of our special teams and defense and haven’t been able to convert turnovers into TDs; we have been the benefactor of our opponents errors. We desperately need a blowout game as we enter into the toughest portion of our schedule and I can only hope that we have our head right and are going into this game as hungry as our opponent most certainly is.
    We have had a lot of injuries early in the season but will be getting some of these players back in the weeks to come as other teams are losing players, which we can see as a hopeful turn of events if we stay focused and tenacious in our push for perfection.
    Nobody takes the Raiders very seriously these days but I remember when they had some good years and even went to a Superbowl. They occasionally have pulled an upset but, like the Cards, don’t get the credit they deserve and so are dismissed. Derek Carr looks VERY impressive to me and I hope we go into Oakland with a game play worthy of the Broncos, 9ers, Seahawks, Eagles. From here every game is a MUST WIN. GO CARDS, PLAY SMART & FINISH STRONG

9. By Eazy E on Oct 16, 2014 | Reply

Ok Carson’s back!?!? Wait what??? I’m not the biggest fan as I’ve mentioned several times, but he’s our best QB at this juncture.

10. By azqfan on Oct 16, 2014 | Reply

Dynosoar, Don’t let facts get in the way of your rant. over 90 senators signed the letter to Snyder asking for him to consider a name change.

Nice try though, and you are right, keep your political b.s. somewhere else.

11. By JohnnyBluenose on Oct 16, 2014 | Reply

@clssylssy…agree with you. but i have to think that our defense is good enough to handle Carr and that our offense plus the Catman will give us enough points to win this game. it would be nice to win this game handily but that does not seem to be our style, does it?

12. By Kevin S Mesa on Oct 17, 2014 | Reply

A lot of people seem worried about a trap game. I’m not, for this reason: The Cardinals know they aren’t playing their best football. They just got their QB back after missing three games. They’ve suffered other key injuries lately such as Calais on top of the losses of Dockett, Abraham, etc. As someone noted above, they’ve trailed in every game this season and have never had a lead comfortable enough to coast. So I don’t think they are taking anyone lightly.

It might be different if the Cards had just pasted the Skins 41-10… but that didn’t happen. Not saying the Raiders can’t beat us (we’re only a FG favorite — no road game in the NFL is a gimme), but if that does happen, I guarantee it won’t be because Arians and Co. underestimated the Raiders.