Arians liked the new Carr

Posted by Darren Urban on October 16, 2014 – 9:41 am

Had Derek Carr lasted on the draft board until the Cardinals picked 20th in the second round this past May, Carr might have been in Tempe (and Logan Thomas wouldn’t, assuming the Cards would have drafted only one quarterback). Carr, now the rookie starter for a Raiders team that will host the Cardinals Sunday, was instead drafted with the fourth pick of the second round.

Arians said personally he had Carr ranked “fairly high” going into the draft. But he also said he saw Carr as a second-round talent. The Cardinals spent their first-round pick, 27th overall and 10 picks before Carr was actually selected, on safety Deone Bucannon. Bucannon has turned into a godsend for the defense, not necessarily as a safety with the Cards deep at that spot right now but as a fill-in for suspended linebacker Daryl Washington in the nickel package. When Bucannon was drafted, Washington was still on the roster. Bucannon’s play has helped the defense survive Washington’s absence.

Still, the constant search for a young, long-term QB was on, which is why the Cards eventually drafted Thomas. It would have been interesting to see what Arians could have done with Carr, who is off to a decent start even if his team is 0-5. Carr is coming off a four-touchdown, one-interception game against San Diego, by far his best performance. Through five starts, Carr’s passing rating is 81.1, with eight TDs and five interceptions.

“Man, that kid’s got heart,” said Raiders defensive end Antonio Smith, a former Cardinal. “He’s got heart and he’s got faith in what he wants to be and who he is, and he’s continually getting better and better each week.”

Arians said Carr, young brother of former No. 1 overall pick David Carr, was “very mature” coming out of Fresno State.

“Really liked him,” Arians said. “It’s one of those things like Peyton (Manning) and Andrew Luck – when you grow up in a football family like he did, you don’t go in the locker room in awe of anything because you’ve been in one your whole life. It’s another day in the gym. That part of it is easy for those guys to overcome quickly. He was in a good offense that spread the ball around, so, yeah, I liked him. I thought he would be a successful quarterback.”

Derek Carr

Tags: , , ,

27 Responses to “Arians liked the new Carr”

1. By D on Oct 16, 2014 | Reply

Hopefully after a 1 yr extension to Palmer after this year, Thomas will benefit from mostly sitting for 2 years learning and be ready in 2016.

2. By Dynosoar on Oct 16, 2014 | Reply

I don’t want to be on a soapbox and expect a lot of thumbs down, so be it.

br in nc is fighting injustice (and has more on the line than this meager post. I’m not comparing myself to his sacrifices; this is also about injustice and freedom, but my life isn’t on the line, only my reputation and thumbs for or against. br in nc, miss having you here.)

People earn money and it’s that money that pays for NFL tickets and merchandise. Here’s where this political war will affect your wallet. I believe in right and wrong and this is wrong.

I don’t hear other sports teams honoring Native Americans with there name being disparaged, only the Utah Utes who dared the BCS and the Redskins who support the Republican party with $$$. Perhaps it’s being done, but it isn’t in the media I that I can see. It’s not about honor, it’s about money and power.

“Sen. Maria Cantwell (D-Wash.) announced Tuesday that she will introduce legislation to eliminate the NFL’s tax-exempt status because of its refusal to address the name of the Washington Redskins… In May, 50 members of the U.S. Senate, all Democrats, wrote letters to Goodell asking him to advocate for the Redskins to change the team’s name.”
    – Washington Post, 9/16/2014

3. By Dynosoar on Oct 16, 2014 | Reply

azqfan

I don’t let facts get in the way. I’ve got 20+ articles from NY Times, USA Today, NPR, ESPN, Huffington Post, etc.

I include only two quotes.

“Only five Democrats did not sign the letter: Mark Warner and Tim Kaine of Virginia, Joe Manchin of West Virginia, Joe Donnelly of Indiana and Mark Pryor of Arkansas … red state Senators unwilling to risk re-election… 50 Senators from one party want the NFL to change Washington’s team nickname.”
    – SB Nation

“Reid was one of 50 US senators who signed a letter and sent it to Roger Goodell urging the NFL commissioner to force the Redskins to change their name.”
    – CBS Sports, 5/24/2014

I haven’t seen 90 signatures, only 50. Please show me the 90. I was in error on one thing, only 50 Democrat Senators signed, the 5 up for re-election in red states didn’t. There’s a war being waged against freedom and if successful, our ticket prices will go up.

I don’t condone racism or any ism, that’s the problem with Dems vs. Reps, it’s one more ism.

I’ve stated my case and probably won’t visit it again. Back to football.

4. By Dynosoar on Oct 16, 2014 | Reply

Looking forward to seeing how great Carr can become, in two weeks.

C’mon Cardinals, show us what you’ve got and as Scott H. and clssylssy stated previously, let’s put up a final score similar to what the Eagles did last Sunday night.

Let the Eagles be afraid of our upcoming match.

Go Cardinals!

5. By Scott H on Oct 16, 2014 | Reply

Hey , I Carr well with his future. But on Sunday, I hope he plays like a first year rookie.

6. By clssylssy on Oct 16, 2014 | Reply

I like the new Carr also, as well as, the new coach. However, as I recall, while we were suppose to have the pick at number #20, we traded with the Saints giving us the pick at #27, allowing them to get Brandin Cooks and the Steelers to get Ryan Shazier…not one of our better moves…IMO.
    PLEASE guys, can we keep politics out of football? Seems the NFL has enough to fix on the field with player safety, clean play, and clarifying the rules (as well as holding the refs responsible for their calls).

7. By Darren Urban on Oct 16, 2014 | Reply

Clssy —

RE: Draft

Shazier was off the board at 16. One of the reasons the Cardinals traded down from 20.

8. By MikeFlorio on Oct 16, 2014 | Reply

Politics aside this the AZ Cardinals fan blog.Back to the issue at hand which is Raider Nation-

In the Past and any true fan can attest to this, the Arizona Cardinals have been notorious for losing to teams that we should have and did expect to beat. Maybe that’s a sign at the coach staffs in the past or our lackadaisical approach to the game.

But, lets not escape the fact that the Raiders despite their record are looking tough and they are only a few games away to being a lethal team.

Carson’s return is great news for us, my issues are with our tendencies to give up the big plays!!! I know our D is spread thin…..but, this Sunday will be a true test!!

I think we need to control the clock and the tempo with a solid running game, we need desperately a big ground game, Raiders are just the team we can do it to!!

9. By John The Draft Guy on Oct 16, 2014 | Reply

clssylssy,

You make good points but have you facts wrong a lot. It is easy to see the draft picks on NFL.com.

As Darren said, Shazier was gone at 16 to Pitt. The cards switched gears and dropped to 27, a trade that netted an extra 3rd rounder (John Brown)

And although I like Bucannon as a LB , I didn’t agree with the pick at 27.

10. By John The Draft Guy on Oct 16, 2014 | Reply

This one move, (passing on Carr at 27) will be very interesting how it plays out.

As I pointed out before, 2015 should have a resigned Palmer leading the Cards.
    But who will be number 2 and 3?

Do the Cards feel comfortable enough to pass on QBs like Conner Cook or what if Kevin Hogan declares? Hundley and Carden are other prospects worth looking at.

Tough choice. Because picking a QB would mean letting Stanton or Thomas go (no one keeps 4 QBs). But can you bank the future on a huge project like Thomas?

By not getting Carr and banking on Thomas, the cards could be set back a couple years, after Palmer leaves.

Besides the Fitz situation, I think the cards approach to the draft in 2015 regarding QB will be most interesting.

11. By clssylssy on Oct 16, 2014 | Reply

Thanks Darren, I was a little crazed at the time because I thought we would go after Shazier and was left speechless when we traded down…to the Saints, no less…LOL! Plus, I’ve never heard the end of it from my Steeler friends since! I try not to get my hopes up and I don’t do mock drafts or even give the draft that much energy as it is WAY beyond my control and as fans we just have to live with the decisions made!
    While much has been made of Palmer and Veldeer’s return to Oakland, I’m kinda hoping to see a big game from Tommy Kelly who has been a good signing and I hope will be playing on Sunday. That stadium sucks though and I’m kinda worried about injuries since we are just going into the bend headed for the grind. PLAY SMART & STAY HEALTHY!

12. By NJAzCardsFan on Oct 16, 2014 | Reply

Personally, I don’t see Thomas as the Cards QB of the future…..

I can’t understand why this team can’t find a decent QB in the draft…. ???

13. By clssylssy on Oct 16, 2014 | Reply

NFL.com quoted Carson Palmer when talking about his return to Oakland on Sunday, saying “I’m sure it’s going to be a very electric atmosphere,” he said. “It’s special to play in front of those fans. There really is nothing like the Raider Nation. There is nothing like being a Raider.”
    Really Carson? I guess that makes us Cardinals what? (I think I’m liking Stanton more and more as he, at least, has the grace not to put his foot in his mouth to the media!)

14. By John The Draft Guy on Oct 16, 2014 | Reply

Dynosoar,

Personally, I think the only player that uniform of the Redskins is offending is Brian Orakpo.

I think he should get it off and put one a cardinal one as soon as possible.

Come on Keim. There is a good chance he moves on from the skins next year and you are 1-4 and the boys and eagles are 5-1. It is over for Washington.
    Offer draft picks and bring the guy in now.

15. By Scott H on Oct 16, 2014 | Reply

Mike Florio –

RE: “the Raiders are only a few games away from being a lethal team.”

Dude…seriously, man, drinking and posting don’t mix. Are you out of your damn mind with this??? The Raiders have been the biggest lost cause in the NFL, one of the biggest lost causes in pro sports for the last decade, AT LEAST!. How do you go from that to being a few games away from being lethal??? Let’s just focus on Sunday, shall we?

My God, just when you think you’ve heard it all….

16. By Scott H on Oct 16, 2014 | Reply

clssylssy –

Well, I have to believe that Carson was just trying to be polite toward an organization that was good to him ( initially, anyway ) and a fan base that he is about to play in front of. He may have gone a little overboard but, honestly, I would rather him go overboard in THAT direction than say something pretty stupid that would only serve to get the Raiders fired up. No need for that.

And honestly, do we REALLY think he means what he is saying? I don’t. He went from the outhouse to the Penthouse when he went from Oakland to Arizona. He went from where there was NO chance to win or have success to a true contender. He went from a place where he was destined to be forgotten to a place where he might just be able to taste some true post-season glory. Would he rather be where he is now despite any foolish / ridiculous comments about how there’s nothing like being a Raider? Um, I think we know he would.

And think about it….maybe he really DID mean what he said but in a tongue-in-cheek sort of way! Because maybe there really IS nothing like being a Raider ( = maybe there really is no place that God-awful ). Could it be that Carson Palmer is just a whole lot funnier than we ever imagined???

I believe Carson Palmer has never won a playoff game during his career. He was NEVER gonna do that as a Raider. Because he wasn’t even gonna PLAY in a playoff game. But he’s gonna get that chance now! Just as Kurt Warner did late in his career after it looked like it was over for him, maybe Carson Palmer is going to find his pot of gold as an Arizona Cardinal.

Trust me, he knows how good he has it here.

17. By John The Draft Guy on Oct 16, 2014 | Reply

I’m sure you heard the near punchfest between Woofley and Doug Franz on the radio. (I don’t listen to the show but heard about it)

The argument was really stupid to begin with. But escalated quick.

Have you ever got heated with another reporter / media person and got close to blows? Come on , tell the truth.

18. By Darren Urban on Oct 16, 2014 | Reply

JTDG —

RE: Fight

I actually punched Kent today.

(P.S. Yes, I’m kidding.)

19. By Richard S on Oct 16, 2014 | Reply

This morning I was looking over some paperwork trying to see what my knee replacement co-payment would run and out of the packet fell a piece of paper where someone named Benjamin Allbright says “As I’ve been saying all week, Logan Thomas looks the part of an NFL QB and will be over drafted for it, but Derek Carr PLAYS like and NFL QB.” I have no idea how that got into the health insurance packet, but found it interesting that this week the Cards play against Carr. It looks like the co-pay will be somewhere between $500 – $700 depending on how much deductible remains plus half the price of a walker.

20. By Dynosoar on Oct 16, 2014 | Reply

John The Draft Guy,

regarding Orakpo, I like the way you think.

I also think I’m having difficulty sorting the names Okafer and Orakpo now, if they were actually teammates…

Scott H.

I watched what the Raiders did to the Chargers, so my question is this; Did last weeks oh so close loss fire them up so they believe they can win or did it beat them down further in the doldrums. Mike Florio may be right on the lethal, we’ll see Sunday. Still…

“Dude…seriously, man, drinking and posting don’t mix. Are you out of your damn mind with this???… just when you think you’ve heard it all….” That was some good writing. I’m still laughing.

21. By Scott H on Oct 16, 2014 | Reply

Darren –

RE: I actually punched Kent today

First of all, good for you! But with the climate that we’re in right now with all the domestic violence stuff and all….perhaps you shouldn’t be posting that you punched someone. Seriously, take it down now. The NFL probably hasn’t seen it yet and I’m sure we didn’t see or hear anything of the sort.

Did anyone hear anything about Darren punching someone out? Anyone? Anyone? I know I didn’t.

22. By JohnnyBluenose on Oct 16, 2014 | Reply

@JTDG….I thought Orakpo was already on our side when I saw him drop that interception that Palmer threw to him last week.

23. By clssylssy on Oct 16, 2014 | Reply

JTDG…yes, I admit I was wrong about Ryan Shazier but, actually the Cards did not pick at #20 as the article would lead one to believe…doesn’t matter really because as fans we live with what we get, right? If I’m not mistaken, I believe you have stated on occasion that you aren’t always lockstep with the choices made by Keim/Arians either but, they are the guys getting paid the big bucks!
    @ Scott H…I do like Carson Palmer and feel he has done a great job but really thought his comment was …weird. On the other hand I have heard he has a dry sense of humor and I’m sure that’s what it was. And, my remark was tongue in cheek, which was probably unnecessary too.Still, what an abrupt departure from the classy media interviews by Larry or Kurt but, leave it to NFL.Com! What’s important is that when we go into Oakland, Carson will lead the Cards to a sizable victory🙂

24. By Dr. G. on Oct 17, 2014 | Reply

Dyno – – Occasionally we veer from the topic Darren has posted in his blog, but I don’t think it gives license to go totally awry. You wrote that you knew you were wrong before you began your political soliloquy…and you got your confirmation.

If you like lots of government in your life, that is OK, but please keep it to the proper forum somewhere in the political realm where for every opinion you give, there will be 7 who can prove you in error. The net is replete with those ambitious to debate your positions, erroneous or otherwise… Please don’t try to be a keyboard bully here…. It is not OK to apologize for something in advance… G’day to you….sincerely…my last on this…

25. By Dr. G. on Oct 17, 2014 | Reply

Taking a QB isn’t the same as a RB. It is not as simple as “here, take the ball and run through that hole and try to avoid any tacklers.” “Both hands on the ball”..!!

I think everyone here agrees that Thomas has physical skills beyond perhaps any QB in the league: height, weight, bionic arm, tough, and can run to extend a play. This guy has had 1 excellent pre-season effort, and 1 regrettable effort in replacing Stanton after an injury. He cannot be blamed.

Thomas has not been properly prepared during any week to start a game. This past week he was prepped, but Carson’s nerve awakened. Though that prep was not in vain, he has not had a chance to prep and then play. He was not drafted to start this year, or maybe even next. So WHO OF US REALLY KNOWS how he will perform when the bell rings? Give him time, and let’s hope he turns out to be a franchise guy….. Carr has been a focus for Oakland, so he is prepped for every game.

P.S. I posted many times that Carr should be seriously considered, and also, to avoid Johnny Football with every fiber… Be well Cards Fans…looking forward to the Raidah’s game… They have been our AAA team…!

2. Oct 16, 2014: Arians liked the new Carr | US Senators
  3. Oct 17, 2014: Arizona Cardinals vs. Oakland Raiders: Complete Week 7 Preview for Arizona - Distinct Athlete