Raiders aftermath

Posted by Darren Urban on October 19, 2014 – 9:27 pm

If you were Jared Veldheer, Sunday’s trip to Oakland meant a lot. If you were Tommy Kelly, it meant a lot. If you were Carson Palmer, well, you tried to downplay it, but your teammates and coach weren’t so sure. It was an obvious storlyline though, with the Raiders sitting at 0-6, that Oakland writers wanted to hit the Raiders-return-home narrative.

Was it nice to get Carson a win, Kelly was asked? “Yeah, you want Carson to win, but I think more about myself,” Kelly said. “I wanted to win for myself.”

Makes sense to me.

The Cardinals had a lot of different reasons to get Sunday’s game, not the least of which the fact both Seattle and San Francisco lost and the Cards now have a two-game lead in the loss column. The brutal part of the schedule now commences –home against Philly, at Dallas, and we go from there. A lot can still happen. Bruce Arians was quick to emphasize the Cards hadn’t won jack yet and shouldn’t overestimate themselves. Nevertheless, it’s better to be up two in the loss column right now than the other way away, and while the Cards have their warts, so too do the Seahawks and 49ers.

— The Cards do get a victory Monday. Although as B.A. makes clear, anyone in their first- or second-year still has to come in tomorrow. Something tells me a good chunk of guys will still show up to get a lift in at least. That’s what happens when a team is winning.

— It was great to hear Andre Ellington say it was his call to come out at the end of the Cardinals’ long touchdown drive – the one in which Ellington had been the ball carrier on every play – so Stepfan Taylor could get a TD shot. First, I heard from a lot of fans (I’m guessing, Ellington fantasy owners) wondering why Arians had made such a move. But it wasn’t B.A., it was Ellington asking for a blow.

More importantly was why Ellington came out. Ellington knows he doesn’t have to practice a ton because of his bad foot. Taylor has to do extra work in practice and often there’s no payoff in games because Ellington gets the snaps. That Ellington would think of his draft classmate is cool.

— The Cards were still having some problems getting consistent pressure on the quarterback. Linebacker Larry Foote got the lone sack (although the Cards a couple times seemed like they would get to Carr and Carr escaped) but headed into games against Philly’s offense and Dallas – where a great running game buys time for Tony Romo – you have to wonder how that plays out.

— I’ll be curious to see how OC Harold Goodwin analyzes Sunday’s run game. The Cards got 123 yards. Goodwin probably wanted more production, but it was the key, especially on that TD drive that took control of the game.

— Palmer throws a pick. It was going to happen. In some ways, it might be good the streak is over.

— After a few games of bad third-down conversions, the Cards converted 9 of 15 third downs Sunday. That’s excellent. The Cards also held the ball for more than 36 minutes. That’ll win games even if the offense isn’t perfectly sharp.

— Patrick Peterson got caught for a couple more penalties Sunday. He has seven in seven games – four pass interference and three holds. He’s a physical cornerback, and this is life in the NFL this days for those guys. He’ll have to continue to adapt.

— Kicker Chandler Catanzaro is now 15-for-15 on the season kicking field goals, tying the mark of the Rams’ Greg Zuerlein as the most consecutive makes to start a rookie season (Washington’s Kai Forbath made 17 to start his career, but he wasn’t considered a rookie at that point, having been on injured reserve his entire rookie season.)

“It’s pretty cool a rookie record, definitely humbling,” Catanzaro said. “It’s my job. As much as I say it, it’s my job, that’s what they signed me up for.”

— Michael Floyd went up and got a 33-yard TD catch one-on-one in a battle with Terrell Brown and it seems like he always does that these days. In fact, Floyd in the jump ball area right now feels a lot like watching Larry Fitzgerald circa 2008.

— That’s enough for this game. The Cardinals are 5-1 for the first time since 1976. An impressive start. But there are still 10 to go. A lot can happen.

AfterRaidersNBlogUSE

Tags: , , , , , , ,

32 Responses to “Raiders aftermath”

1. By robertlem373 on Oct 19, 2014 | Reply

Go Cardinals

2. By Dre on Oct 19, 2014 | Reply

Great win lets keep the ground low and bring are lunch pale to work its starts getting harder from here on.

3. By jake on Oct 19, 2014 | Reply

A. Ellington sounds like an awesome guy after learning he took himself out so Taylor could score. I will root for him even more

4. By Jerry on Oct 19, 2014 | Reply

I think it’s awesome that Ellington thinks of him teammates to get recognized especiallyfor a touchdown drive in the redzone, that’sjist class in my opinion. I’m hoping to see Campbell in next week’s game, that’ll put pressure on the Eagles offense. Mathieu’s had a badass tackle, he is looking stronger each week, hopefullyby the end of the season when we play our division rivals , he’ll be top force and making plays like he did last year. Nice to be 5-1. Thanks BA

5. By Daniel Martín del Campo M/O on Oct 19, 2014 | Reply

But its gonna be good, I mean the rest of the way!!🙂 GO CARDINALS!!🙂

6. By rick on Oct 20, 2014 | Reply

It wasn`t pretty but I`ll take it. I am concerned about our pass rush but other than that I am very excited about our team. Go Cards!!!

7. By UK Cards Fan on Oct 20, 2014 | Reply

Great win, I travelled to oakland to watch this game. I wore neutral colors in order to avoid a possible trip to the ICU. Beer + 12 straight losses can sometimes be a recipe for disaster.

-The third quarter TD drive was awesome to watch, hard-nosed running between the tackles.

-Would like to see more of those ‘chunk plays’ come to fruition, raiders were pretty solid in coverage as far as I could tell and Palmer was limited to those dink n dunk plays to Ellington & the TEs.

– Sam Acho was flying around, and Foote was very solid. Also some more positivity from Okafor

– A few of the Raiders first down completions looked like they occurred on blitzes that were either picked up well or not executed properly.. lots of traffic around Carr, but no hands on him. To be fair, Raiders O-line has been one of their better areas this season.

-Hopefully we can get to Foles on Sunday, as well as have a more complete game on offense

8. By Hammy on Oct 20, 2014 | Reply

Glad for the win but let me beat up on our secondary for a bit. Patrick Peterson pretty much stole 70 million dollars from us. I think they need to think about putting him at safety or change his scheme to be more of a zone player than man. Powers is outplaying him. We are dead last in the league in pass defense but I guess that doesnt matter since we are 5-1 on top of the division? Go Cards!

9. By hminus on Oct 20, 2014 | Reply

Good job!…keep working on the run game,[its what is carrying Dallas right now,]w/it we controlled the clock & the game…w/o it were just another one trick pony…where is Grice by the way?

10. By hminus on Oct 20, 2014 | Reply

The clock control ground game helped keep our ‘D’ & Oaklands offense off the field…

11. By Marlin on Oct 20, 2014 | Reply

Raiders defense is tough. Carr looks like the real deal. This was a tougher win than anyone will give us credit for. Great Win Cards……….come on home and let’s get ready for Philly!!!

12. By red bird of death! on Oct 20, 2014 | Reply

Holy crap is Ellington out classying Larry FItz great job by him and Stephan today, Let er rip next week against the beagles( sorry I have nothing) thought the offense was going to be unleashed? We need to score more points bottom line the last two games we leave a lot on the field what’s the deal nip it in the bud now fellas.

13. By Andrew on Oct 20, 2014 | Reply

I can’t help but ask why doesn’t Jaron Brown get more targets/reps? Seems like he makes a catch every single time he’s on the field….

14. By SteveG on Oct 20, 2014 | Reply

That was as clinical a win by the Cards. as I have seen. Just business…I LIKE it!

This team has not really played well yet IMO…But they will!

15. By Dynosoar on Oct 20, 2014 | Reply

Palmer was 70.9% completion. (Tempered knowing there were a lot of screens plays.)

I noticed how our touchdowns always seem to end with the ball being respectfully tossed to the ref. One more legacy from Fitzgerald. This is a classy team.

Darren, what’s the best starting record we’ve ever had and what year? 1976 was the season before I became a Cardinals for life fan. In the words of Maxwell Smart, “Missed it by that much.”

Looking forward to a Philly visit. Now that Peyton’s got his record, does this mean two of the hottest teams get flexed to Sunday night (Fingers crossed, check. Salt over the shoulder, check. Horseshoe in place, check. Haha.)

I’d love to see us wear red pants with white jerseys for the Dallas game, that’s if Dallas isn’t wearing there white jerseys.

Well, maybe we have ten games to go, but so does everyone else and it won’t be any easier for them than for us.

Looking forward to sweeping the NFC West and NFC East. It’s already begun with us winning three of the nine total. If we did this, it would be almost as great as another Super Bowl… almost.

16. By John The Draft Guy on Oct 20, 2014 | Reply

This had the feeling of a preseason game.

The cards decided they were going to work on the running game and stuck with it. It seemed like if BA wanted to open it up, he could have at any time, but chose to see if this oline and backs could get the run game going.

The raiders remind me of some of those old 4-12 card teams. They have some good players, hope with Carr, but are barely an NFL team.

I liked what Taylor did. Not sure why the cards are wanting to replace him. Just go with Ellington and Taylor.

We could use Campbell back this week. Win at home, go 4-4 on the road.

17. By Patrick Hoog aka Don't Take Losses on Oct 20, 2014 | Reply

Urb wrote: “while the Cards have their warts, so too do the Seahawks and 49ers”. Echo. So fun to watch this team grind…would be nice to get Calais back…for Eagles probably too soon… Ty looked more like Ty yesterday too…PP was betta..Go CARDS! Fans need to bring it Sunday.

18. By Dynosoar on Oct 20, 2014 | Reply

Dallas is winning because of their run game and we are tops at run defense. That’s going to be a sweet game as Bowles has their number and they fall apart. Looking forward to 7-1, will it happen… it’s possible and it’s probable.

19. By Kevin S Mesa on Oct 20, 2014 | Reply

Why I love the NFL: Every year, despite all the prognostications, there are so many surprises.

If you said after 7 weeks that there’d be three teams in the NFC with one loss, what would people have assumed… Some combination of Seattle, SF, New Orleans, Green Bay and Philly, perhaps? Instead it’s Dallas, Philly and us.

Atlanta was supposed to rebound, but hasn’t. People were crowning the Bengals after three weeks when they were 80-33 in points scored/allowed and now they’ve had two (bad) losses and a tie since and are actually -6 just three games after being +47.

Loved watching Peyton pick apart the 49ers last night. Sure, they beat us too, but we were within four points going into the 4th quarter and within a TD until midway through the 4th… with our 2nd string QB starting and our 3rd QB finishing that game. The 49ers were never within 10 points after the first quarter and were simply blown out the second half.

When was the last time Cards fans could say that we could lose the next two games and the worst that could happen is we’d still be in a tie for first place?

Hang on, fellow blog participants. The ride has just begun. The question is, will it come to a complete stop in January… or February?

20. By Dynosoar on Oct 20, 2014 | Reply

JTDG,

I was thinking the same thing, almost like, let’s try some things in this game until we have them right. Almost like an extension of practice. Like the coaches feel the passing game is where they want it to be, so let’s work an entire game with the run until it’s where we want it to be. With enough passing to keep us in the lead and not give any more tape to opponents of our strengths than we already have.

So looking forward to the next two games. We’re 2-0 against the NFC East, so want us to be 4-0 against them. I so want this.

Then 6-0 against the NFC West.

21. By Kevin S Mesa on Oct 20, 2014 | Reply

Hammy —

You have to look at both sides of the coin. Our pass D is second to last (not last) in YPG… however:

1) They would be right in the middle of the pack if not for 476 yards in the Denver game. Denver could not run the ball at all against us (almost all their rushing yards were in the 4th quarter in garbage time). And when Peyton is forced to throw — he threw 47 passes against us, since they couldn’t run — he’s going to put up yards.

2) The same is true to a lesser extent for all of our other games. Since our run D is tops in the league, teams pass against us instead. That’s going to result in some yards piling up.

3) We are tied for 3rd in INT’s… I’ll give up a few extra yards if it means forcing more turnovers.

4) Who cares about YPG anyway? Our guys rise to the occasion when it counts. The point totals in the games other than Denver are 17, 14, 14, 20, 13. I’ll take that any time.

No doubt, our pass defense can improve. But let’s be fair in our assessment.

22. By T.Stone on Oct 20, 2014 | Reply

The fact that Ellington didn’t go back in seems strange to me. The Fact that B.A would just say O.K., lets get the dude his TD because Ellington wanted him to and let our best offensive player stand and watch seems absurd. I hope someone will ask him about that.

23. By John The Draft Guy on Oct 20, 2014 | Reply

Dynosoar,

Exactly how I felt.

If we beat the eagles, could the cowboy game decide who gets home field throughout the playoffs?

Ok, Ok, thats a little Horse-before-the-cart stuff. lots of games to play, But, I am just saying…….

24. By Dynosoar on Oct 20, 2014 | Reply

T.Stone,

I see two sides to this one. If BA has confidence in Taylor to get the TD with the playcalling, why not? It goes with the next man up philosophy, whether it’s injury or “hey, he deserves the shot.”

On the other hand, it does sound kind of like the tail wagging the dog. But if the game plan was for the RBs to be the stars of the game, then why not let them be the stars, all of them.

I have a feeling all stats (or lack of stats) will be forgotten the more the wins pile up, especially if there’s a Lombardi at the end of the season. That does mean our Cardinals need to keep winning, but according to your crystal ball (I appear to have the same model) we’re winning our next two, so that’ll be good.

25. By Dr. G. on Oct 20, 2014 | Reply

This opinion may not be received well by some… When BA said some time ago that he could see Ellington getting 25-30 touches, most fans thought that was a pipe dream. But now it has happened…((30)) I hope for the last time. We need to see all the other skill players get involved with the majority of the offense…a la Floyd’s seriously physical TD yesterday. BA needs to see a variety of weapons as our strong suit. Taylor was effective as well. We got lots..!!

It is IMPOSSIBLE to ride Ellington for the rest of the season in this manner. He is operating with a sore foot; and his stamina will wane until he is just average… unless he is injured first.

Taylor got the TD because Ellington needed a BLOW and asked to sit for a bit. Now, Ells was on ESPN this AM and represented well.

Ellington is not “The Bus.” It would not be fair to him to run him this hard until he has problems contributing. His best attribute is that he is slippery….a dozer he is not. I want to see him play for years, not just until he collapses… Later, Cards Fans… Things are going well so far…now to the uphill part of the schedule…

26. By blaxabbath on Oct 20, 2014 | Reply

Darren-

How is traveling and attending the game at O.Co? We always hear about how bad the facility is and that teams don’t want to play there — how would you compare it to the days at Sun Devil Stadium, for example?

27. By Darren Urban on Oct 20, 2014 | Reply

blax —

RE: O.co

The facilities are poor. There isn’t enough room and it is clear many things in the building are in need of repair/replacing. I guess it’s similar to SDS, at least from what I remember and from a pro standpoint (I know ASU’s locker room, for instance, is gorgeous. And I haven’t covered a game there since 2005.)

28. By robert on Oct 20, 2014 | Reply

questioning why BA ran on almost every first down..very predictable play calling for the first time..Is palmer healthy? he looks like he lacked some zip

29. By Dr. G. on Oct 20, 2014 | Reply

Some notes and quotes:

Fitz – – We could be putting up 30+ every game. ((We got the horses, why not use them))???

BA – – Ells RIBS? And cramps – – time to examine offense schemes? Spread the ball around?

Ellington – – Need fresh legs – Go to Taylor. ((I’m exhausted, coach)) My foot too…

Taylor – – The Flying Wallendas taught me that 6 point dive…!

Oak Colosseum – – Quit bitchin’… I had 52,000 for the Halloween party on Sunday! My plumbing is just a little skanky…

And with the Eagles coming in, we need to use every offensive weapon we have.

I dont’ know how to feel about Dallas AWAY. A win there would be beyond perfect. They are surprising this year…

I might take a split on the next 2 games and still be able to smile…Go Cards…

30. By Dr. G. on Oct 20, 2014 | Reply

It was mentioned that Ells had no physical breaks or dislocations in his rib cage. ((I read that here somewhere – paraphrasing)) Anyway, IF cartilage in the rib cage is slightly out of place or just stretched, it may not show up on an x-ray, but trust me, it can be really painful. Guess how I know that… yep…the old motocross days….G’day Cards Fans

31. By clssylssy on Oct 21, 2014 | Reply

Dr G…thanks for the lighthearted note! Currently, Dallas is #1 seed in the NFC so that will be a VERY VERY BIG game (Texas sized even), and if we can pull it off in their house–so much sweeter! In these big games it comes down to everyone doing their job as flawlessly as possible but really the brain behind the curtain, the HC/playcaller. In that department we have Dallas handsdown (I still think of Jason Garrett has the guy who iced his own kicker in the last few minutes of a game they might have won) and while Dallas has talent this year, we have much more and more depth. Hopefully, Calais will be back with us by then and Tyrann Mathieu will be feeling his old self. Nonetheless those penalties can make the difference and we need to figure out how to avoid those defensive holding/pass interference calls and still be effective!
    .Let’s not get ahead of ourselves and try to keep focused on winning one game at a time. I’ve still got a bad feeling about that game last season and it’s time for some payback this Sunday in our house!

32. By Dr. G. on Oct 21, 2014 | Reply

clssy – – Yeah, on all the stuff you said…. I have been trying to be politely suggestive as a writer that BA has tunnel vision with Ellington; while he has 2 of the very best weapon WR’s in the NFL, one of them trying to get his attention. Ellington cannot defeat the Eagles/Cowboys/Etc. by himself. I hope BA has another gear or two.

Wouldn’t it be splenderferous if Ells had maybe 19 touches and the rest went to our superstar WR’s and a few to the TE’s? Our offense has demonstrated anemia compared to what we have in manpower…Be well…!!!