Still no Grice as inactives named

Posted by Darren Urban on October 19, 2014 – 12:02 pm

The inactive list is out for today’s game against the Raiders. Running back Marion Grice is inactive again, which sounded about what the case would be when Bruce Arians was talking about him Friday. The full inactive list:

— RB Marion Grice

— DE Calais Campbell (knee)

— TE Troy Niklas (ankle)

— DT Bruce Gaston

— LB Desmond Bishop

— LB Thomas Keiser

— LB Glenn Carson

The Raiders have some key players inactive today: OL Khalif Barnes, DT Justin Tuck and FB Marcel Reece.

Tags: ,

18 Responses to “Still no Grice as inactives named”

1. By Dr. G. on Oct 19, 2014 | Reply

10/19

My two favorite coaches, Sean Payton and Pete Carroll got just a little of what they deserve today…!

2. By rod on Oct 19, 2014 | Reply

I know they lost but what are saying exactly?

3. By Andy Kw on Oct 19, 2014 | Reply

How frustrating it is to watch our secondary.

4. By Scott H on Oct 19, 2014 | Reply

Well, there’s a stunning sequence. -1, -5, then a holding penalty for -10. And we’re wondering where our offense is? Going in the wrong friggin direction, that’s where! Here we are again, 4th quarter, against a VERY inferior team, and we are just letting them hang around.

5. By Scott H on Oct 19, 2014 | Reply

Well, I hate to keep feeling like the wins are not that impressive. But this is two weeks in a row we played bad teams and allowed them both to hang around to where they were within a score to tie or take a lead late in the 4th qtr. Offense still looks totally stuck in the mud. Penalties. Plays for no gain or a loss. This offense is running like an engine with water in the gas tank.

WHERE THE HELL IS THE DAMN OFFENSE???????????

And hate to keep looking ahead with concern but how is anyone NOT concerned with the Eagles and Cowboys looming? These teams are NOT going to struggle to put their own points on the board like the Redskins and Raiders did. These teams are putting points on the board. Period. The Cardinals are averaging 20-24 points a game and they have made it look like a struggle to even get there. That ain’t gonna be enough to beat these teams we have coming up.

But…enough. I’m tired of complaining about it. It ain’t fixing anything. Glad to get the win, of course. AND really thrilled about the Seahawks losing another one! THAT was an impressive win for the Rams. It looked like they were gonna find a way to give it away but they didn’t let it happen. Don’t look now but…excluding their post season wins from last season….the Seahawks are pretty much .500 in regular season games since the Cards beat them in December last year.

Tonight? GO BRONCOS! Put the 49ers another game behind us.

6. By jeffy1951 on Oct 19, 2014 | Reply

Yeah Dr. G. but there’s still about 2/3 of the season to go. So don’t let “euphoria” get in the way of reality – though one can’t help but feel optimistic. The Cards took care of the business they SHOULD have and now comes the ‘acid test’ ….. Philly, @ Dallas so fasten your seat-belts.

7. By CreditCard on Oct 19, 2014 | Reply

It is a win on the road — hard to do in the NFL. The Raiders were gunning not to go O’fer another week. If you can recall when the Cards were in that tailspin under Whisenhunt; the team was on a weekly defensive posture with the media, fans, and so on. I’m sure the Raiders are in the same boat right now.

What I do like about the Cards is that different elements of the team is stepping up. last week, the secondary, getting turn-overs. Against the Giants, special teams. This week, the running attack.

The Cards are not fancy, but they are getting the job done. They are simply out grinding the other teams. This week, 36+ minutes of ball control. Same as 49er game. Each game the Cards make me nervous, just can’t put another team away.

Next week’s game will be tough due to the over-all speed of the Eagles, especially at WR. Cards need to pull out last year’s game, and show the Shannessey hold at the goal line, as a motivator.

8. By Kevin S Mesa on Oct 19, 2014 | Reply

Scott H and everyone else who’s worried about how we played —

It’s tough to win on the road in the NFL, period. Out of 14 games we were only one of three teams to do so today. (I’m writing this before the first half is over in SNF but I don’t think the Broncos are going to blow a 21-3 lead.) We were favored by 3 1/2 and won by 11. The SB champs got beat on the road today by a team that is playing a QB who was #4 on the depth chart earlier this year.

I don’t know what game you were watching but I was fine with how the offense played. Sure, the running game wasn’t explosive (3.3 yards per rush) but it was reliable and allowed us to control time of possession and allow our D to rest. The ball-control O was a big part of the reason the D only allowed 13 points and 13 first downs.

Not a ton of explosive plays but when you don’t need them, why risk turnovers? You lament that we were only up by a score in the 4th but we completely controlled the ball for the quarter. Oakland had one drive and made one first down. That last drive where we took over at 7:22 and converted on two 3rd-and-8’s and then kicked the FG to go ahead two scores with 30 seconds left was beautiful.

9. By jeffgollin on Oct 19, 2014 | Reply

BA apparently decided to go with a RB-dominated offensive playbok – not very sexy, but it worked.

Darren – Do you feel that offensive playcalling by BA is 100% zero’d in on winning? Or did BA use yesterday’s game as a “teaching” vehicle designed to get our running game untracked and in gear for the rest of the season?

10. By Darren Urban on Oct 19, 2014 | Reply

Jeff —

RE: Playcalling

I guess I see what you are saying, but to think the play calls are anything but for winning seems pretty ridiculous to me. This isn’t the college non-conference schedule in basketball. One loss could cost the Cards the playoffs. Why would you take a chance with that?

11. By Joseph on Oct 19, 2014 | Reply

Well said Kevin! Worry warts need to chill just a little bit.

Yes Philly will be a test next week but it’s a very winnable game at home and the Eagles have to deal with the Home Crowd, The Big Red Sea. Protect the nest!

So very glad Taylor got some play time. This will reap benefits for the team down the road.

12. By cards62 on Oct 19, 2014 | Reply

Kevin S. I totally agree with you an 11 point win on the road I will take against any team in the NFL. Adding to your example the Browns went to winless Jacksonville and were crushed. Another great job by our coaching staff.

i am very much looking forward to the next two weeks to see what kind of team we have. Philly will be tough with do everything McCoy in the backfield and an up tempo offense and Dallas is running the ball better than any team in the league and their o line is playing great so I can not wait to see what our depleted corps can do against these two squads.

Fellow fans just remember how beat up we are now and Ellington and Palmer are playing well, but are not close to 100%. Great job Ellington way to leave it all on the field. Funny to me is that coming into this season our two biggest stars Peterson on defense and Floyd on offense are not really playing like expected and we are still 5 -1, but we need these two to have monster games and lead our team the next two weeks. Peterson really has me scratching my head and Floyd is playing okay but I am expecting some dominant performances from him this year.

Last point is next two weeks should be a great test for our offensive line so will be watching closely,

Already can not wait for the weekend to get here. How I do love fall and football

13. By Chris on Oct 19, 2014 | Reply

Darren
    What did Arians say about Grice on Friday, and how does he (Grice) look?

14. By Darren Urban on Oct 19, 2014 | Reply

Chris —

RE: Grice

He just said Grice was close and he sounded like that meant not yet.

I don’t get to see Grice. All but special teams practice is closed.

15. By Coach K on Oct 19, 2014 | Reply

Another great win with the next man up in full gear.

Here’s an early projection for nest years draft (just for fun)

Round 1- TJ Yeldon, RB, Bama
    Round 2- Jordan Jenkins, OLB, Georgia
    Round 3- Terrance Smith, ILB, Fla St.

Note: TJ Yeldon is the next Adrian Peterson, only faster!

16. By Scott H on Oct 20, 2014 | Reply

Anyone –

RE: Winning on the road is tough

OK. point made / taken that winning on the road is tough. But….let’s also acknowledge that not all road games are the same. Winning in Seattle is tough. Winning on the east coast for a west coast team is tough. Winning at Kansas City or Indy would be tough.

Oakland? It ain’t that far. The Raiders? They ain’t that good ( as evidenced by an 0-6 record ). So, let’s not have a single umbrella for all road games.

17. By Coach K on Oct 20, 2014 | Reply

I guess my bird gang friends don’t like my Yeldon at RB pick for next year. I know it seems high for a RB, but we will be picking last this year when we bear Indy in the Superbowl. So I figured with the last pick in the 2015 draft, we add a powerful running back to compliment Ellington.

18. By clssylssy on Oct 20, 2014 | Reply

Scott H….I totally get where you’re coming from and share your sentiments! We may be 5-1 but still are not playing like a legitimate playoff team yet, when we are having to sweat out the last five minutes of the game knowing that one misstep and we could be going home in a defeat, never to hear the end of it. Yes, it is very hard to win on the road however, I’ve seen years when we played our best games on the road because the home crowd was so hostile and unsupportive, guess every cloud does have a silver lining because we finally are comfortable at home (maybe too comfortable) as well as pretty stable on the road. I personally think the fans need a blowout game and we are certainly capable, but perhaps this is part of the BA cat and mouse game to lure the competition into a false sense of security; I guess I’ll give him that?
    I was happy to see more consistency in this game with more players being targeted and especially more rbs getting carries. When Ellington went down, I thought he was out, about had a mini-meltdown, but was happy Taylor had been in the game …still, can’t stand the thought of being so dependent upon one player and wish we had a pounder.
    I still think Peterson is being targeted by the refs and that defensive interference call was complete garbage and the reason he’s been playing tentative but this is a league-wide problem and something I would think the coaches would be hot about?
    It doesn’t appear that many fans on this site watch football outside of Cardinaland or they would realize what we’re up against in the coming weeks. The Eagles aren’t the toughest team on the schedule and will be a good indicator of how we’ll hold up against the Cowboys, Seahawks, 9ers and Rams (who, like the Cards have been underrated but kept us out of the playoffs last year). ON TO THE NEXT GAME & VICTORY OVER THE EAGLES!