After Week 8, Cardinals best team in NFC

Posted by Darren Urban on October 27, 2014 – 9:49 pm

Maybe the Cardinals are first and foremost survivors. Maybe they need to find more of a pass rush and be more consistent offensively. (Maybe those aren’t maybes.) Regardless, after tonight’s Washington overtime upset win in Dallas, the 6-1 Cardinals are alone at the top of the NFC standings.

It doesn’t change the impact of the coming road trip to Dallas. If the Cardinals lose, they are still in good shape as they hit the season’s midway point. But they won’t be the top team in the NFC. With nine games left on the schedule, a lot can still happen, with five games inside the division, with the Cowboys, with the 6-2 Lions coming to Arizona. Always nice to be in control of your own destiny, though.

The Cowboys game got a little more interesting, though. DeMarco Murray was great again. But Tony Romo had to leave the game with a bruised back, and while he came back in, you wonder if Romo — who had back surgery in the offseason — will have any lingering effects. Plus, the Redskins blitzed the heck out of Romo, leading Romo to comment about how much the zero blitz came. Clearly, he hasn’t watched any Cardinals’ film yet.

Tags: , ,

34 Responses to “After Week 8, Cardinals best team in NFC”

1. By Sir60 on Oct 27, 2014 | Reply

I’m glad we got Cousins when we played the Redskins. McCoy looked good.

I believe we can beat Dallas if we can limit Murray.

I also believe that Carson is overly concerned about interceptions and this has made him tentative, maybe lost some confidence. He seems to be looking for his best option and then settling instead of taking the first or second read. Perhaps the nerve issue still has him concerned. But, we’re winning, so I’m not complaining.

2. By superbowlcards on Oct 29, 2014 | Reply

Didn’t seem to me that the O-line was giving him enough time to go through his read progressions. Seemed like he was under pressure every pass play, whereas Eagles QB had plenty of time to pick and choose, anyone else see this??

3. By MartinK on Oct 27, 2014 | Reply

Ed Werder is right, Romo was crazy to play on that pinched nerve. Hard to recover from in a short week. Good for Cardinals — and good for the quest to play the last three games at home…….

4. By Dre on Oct 27, 2014 | Reply

Bring it go red birds

5. By antgarn23@gmail.com on Oct 27, 2014 | Reply

Were gonna smash the Cowboys! I’m hoping for a comfortable blow-out

6. By krehbieo14 on Oct 27, 2014 | Reply

I am thankful for the Cardinals organization! It appeared that Jerry Jones orchestrated the return of an injured Tony Romo to the field. So much for protecting your players. The team doctor seemed to be resistant to Tony’s return but got overruled by Romo and Jones. Jones was on the field in the ear of Coach Garrett pleading his case. So much for integrity in Cowboys football. Any and all players should be protected from what happened tonight. Can you imagine Michael Bidwell doing such a thing? Very sad franchise! I am thankful I am a Cardinals fan! I wouldn’t want to be Tony Romo tomorrow. The whole thing hurt on more than one level!

7. By LadyBird04 on Oct 28, 2014 | Reply

It’s nice to be on top – at least for one week. Hope we prepare as hard as we always have and not “sleep” on Dallas assuming Romo either will be out or not playing in top form.

We saw what a decent back-up QB can do. Just have to keep playing our game and blitz the devil out of Dallas’ front line. Their O-Line didn’t look great against the blitz and the sacks kept piling up.

Go Cards!

8. By Eric G on Oct 28, 2014 | Reply

If Washington can beat them, surely we can. Stop Murray and we can stop dallas. Go cardinals! Lets make it 4-0 against the nfc least.

9. By topdog on Oct 28, 2014 | Reply

Murray’s 100yd rushing streak is going to be over, come Sunday!! You stop Murray, you stopped the Cowboys!! Go Cards!

10. By superbowlcards on Oct 29, 2014 | Reply

Agreed, it stops this Sunday!

11. By perry matherne on Oct 29, 2014 | Reply

Dear fellow az fans,I am so proud of our team there is an ol’ saying,on any given day we can win against anybody but I know the same goes for us as well.But as a lifelong cardinals fan,I’m thinking nothing but positive all the way to the top.We just need to keep our mindset one game at a time!

12. By Kevin on Oct 28, 2014 | Reply

“Clearly, he hasn’t watched any Cardinals’ film yet.”

Ha

13. By Patrick Hoog aka Don't Take Losses on Oct 28, 2014 | Reply

Before the season it was hard to even look at the Cards schedule without cringing (most difficult in NFL I read). Well, one game at a time and next man up have worked. (btw, I am saving my stubs)…if we finish like we started, then possibility of 3 straight “home” games including the “final”… ok, I wont repeat until February

14. By John The Draft Guy on Oct 28, 2014 | Reply

Romo and the Boys could not figure it out when the Skins went to cover zero and sent the house.

What do you think Bowles loves to do? If the cards can stop the run, Romo will have a long day.

15. By georgiebird on Oct 28, 2014 | Reply

If my memory serves me correctly, this is the first time the Cardinals have had the best record in the NFC (and prior to that the NFL) since 1960. There may have been times the Cards were tied with another NFC team (after merger) for best record but never alone with the best record.
    This best record achievement also includes the years prior to the merger when there was just the NFL and the AFL.
    So only Denver stands in the way of this being a whole league achievement..

16. By joe67 on Oct 28, 2014 | Reply

krehbieo14. You are so right. Very obvious what was going on when Romo came back to the field. No, could never see either Mr. Bidwil or Michael doing that.
    I don’t know that I have heard too many people taking about Jones having much class and he showed why last nite. Funny how ESPN never showed him after the game.

17. By joe67 on Oct 28, 2014 | Reply

Sorry, thats Bidwill (with two L’s) At least I didn’t spell it Bidwell

18. By perry matherne on Oct 28, 2014 | Reply

Well,the best way to put it,we are half way there so it’s time to kick it up & put it in overdrive.Now guys,it is time to really get psyched up against EVERY opponent left & open a can of whoop ass !

19. By Dynosoar on Oct 28, 2014 | Reply

krehbieo14,

We may have disagreed a little on understanding Dan Snyder’s mind,

but we’re a 100% in agreement of both Jerry Jones and Michael Bidwill! Our ownership, management, coaching and play is the best!

The more I watch the Cardinals and other teams, the more I’m grateful I chose the Cardinals as my team.

Actually, your “Jones on the field” comment made me think of the beginning of the movie, “The 6th Day.” It begins with a QB having a broken neck or spine, something like that and comes out to play again, because he was taken off field and a clone replaced him.

The three science fiction movies that make me think the most (give me the feeling there’s something hovering at the edge of my brain that I can’t quite grasp) are “The 6th Day”, “Gattaca” and “The Net.” All could be thriller/sci-fi.

What will also be a thriller and not sci-fi will be this game against Dallas.

Here’s to 4-0 against the East! C’mon Cardinals, make history!

20. By Dynosoar on Oct 28, 2014 | Reply

I just read the “Survival” article. Well written piece. I like the comment about winning vs. losing in the 4th quarter either building up or destroying team confidence in future games.

They’ll need that confidence to keep winning, but with all I’m seeing, there’s not a game coming up that is a “trap” game, we’ve passed that part of our schedule and there’s only one team any more that worries me.

The Lions. I’m glad their in our house, because they seem to have the same resilience and survivor mindset we have. That may be the best game of the entire season and while some think we may see the Broncos again, we may see the Lions twice as well.

Anyway, on to 4-0! (T. Stone, I’m relying on your crystal ball. br in somewhere across the world, enjoy your post game reports.)

21. By D on Oct 28, 2014 | Reply

Would J. Tuck help the Cards D? He’s available today for a trade…

22. By Jacobespinoza on Oct 28, 2014 | Reply

Darren, If rumors are true and Justin tuck is available for trade could you see the cardinals pulling the trigger? and using him as a rotational pass rusher ?

23. By Darren Urban on Oct 28, 2014 | Reply

Jacob, D —

RE: Tuck

Between age, price tag and injuries, I don’t see a Tuck trade making a lot of sense.

24. By Craig on Oct 28, 2014 | Reply

Would rather play the Cowboys full strength. Don’t want to hear any excuses.

25. By Patrick Hoog aka Don't Take Losses on Oct 28, 2014 | Reply

Still under the radar: Even though Cards lead after week 8, none of these pundits pick Cards to win NFC…yet most pick BA as Coach of Year.. incongruence…

26. By Scott H on Oct 28, 2014 | Reply

Just got home late last night from Glendale and all I can say is – WOW!!! WOW a thousand times over!!! I can’t say enough about how awesome it was to be among so many of my Cardinals brothers AND sisters in that stadium. I added my voice to the crowd for one afternoon but I just want to say that the people who are there every Sunday have SOOOOOOO much to be proud of. The atmosphere and the noise in the BEAUTIFUL building give the Cardinals as legit a home field advantage as anywhere in the NFL. Oh, man….what a ride!

The entertainment complex across the way from the stadium was AMAZING!!!! Loved it! Nothing but Cardinals everywhere ya looked!

As to the game, I’m weighing in late, so…I guess a lot has already been said and said again. It was great to see the BIG plays to Fitz ( who can still turn and burn when he needs to!!! ) and John Brown. On the latter, what a throw!! AND what a catch!!! It’s hard to imagine how Brown even saw that ball, seeing as it came directly over his head. He couldn’t have even seen it until it was coming down across his face mask!!! Way to bring it in, young man! And way to stay on your feet to make it to the end zone! THOSE were some of the plays I’ve been wanting to see. And we needed them on Sunday. We weren’t winning that game without them. Moving it down the field, stringing first downs together was not coming easy for us. The big plays HAD to be there. Despite all the defense did, we still needed enough points to win.

But the story of the game was the turnovers. Period. They were the key. Two of them stopped Eagles TD’s that may have been difficult to overcome. Stopping those points from going on the board allowed the Cards to stay with their game plan on offense, staying balanced, staying with the running game. That usually helps set up the big plays at some point. Thank God we got Cromartie back on the field after he appeared a little banged up.

When you look at the game stats, it would be hard to imagine how the Eagles DIDN’T win that game – until you saw the turnovers.

The last minute of the game damn near killed me. But our secondary was up to the task, made a stop every time they needed to. HOW IMPRESSIVE WAS THAT??? I mean, when you consider how games are being officiated these days and how many flags are being thrown for pass interference and illegal contact??? I would figure it would be almost impossible that you would see three consecutive passes defended like that without a penalty being called. THAT was amazing, how perfectly all three of those passes were defended. Had to be one of THE most amazing defensive stands I’ve ever seen. Because it wasn’t like those were badly thrown passes. They were all there. And our DB’s defended every time. WOW.

What I WAS concerned about was the lack of pressure on Foles and the rate at which we were putting the defense back on the field with all of those quick 3 and outs to start the second half. My God, what else can you say about what this defense has done this year????

Also concerned about Peterson – both the injury AND how he was playing before the injury. I’m not afraid to say it – he just is not playing at the level we were expecting.

27. By Scott H on Oct 28, 2014 | Reply

superbowlcards
    Cards62
    Dynosaur
    JohnnyBluenose –

One and all, thank you for your kind words and wishes for a great trip to Glendale from earlier posts. I would have been back to you sooner if I could. You are the greatest and, together, WE are the greatest! My previous entry here speaks to how heavenly it was to be in Glendale this past weekend. My hand hurts from all of the high-fives I gave and got from my seat in section 421 all the way back to the hotel. Johnny, I hope you had a great visit as well. You sure overcame a lot to get there! Quite symbolic of a team that just keeps overcoming everything it has to get where it wants to go!

Onward, gentlemen!

28. By Patrick Hoog aka Don't Take Losses on Oct 28, 2014 | Reply

Craig: would rather play Cowboys full strength, but disagree, would love to hear their excuses after…nobody felt sorry for us in Denver…

29. By Scott H on Oct 28, 2014 | Reply

Craig –

RE: injuries / no excuses

At one point, during the off-season, I was feeling the same way. But….seriously, man, with ALL of the injuries WE have had and all that WE are over-coming every week, why would it be so wrong for an opponent to have to overcome their losses, too???

Sorry, but I have no problem hoping for no Romo OR a very limited Romo on Sunday. That’s not giving us an excuse. That’s just giving the other team an obstacle to overcome that MIGHT come remotely close to what the Cardinals are over-coming.

And….what excuses do we need to make??? What excuses are people making FOR us??? I don’t hear any….

Just today, in fact, I was hearing a lot of respect being expressed for what this team has accomplished so far. No joke, I was in a WAWA earlier and a guy in a 49ers t-shirt, seeing the Cardinal on my brand new polo shirt, purchased yesterday at the pro-shop, tipped his cap and almost sounded like he was conceding the division. How cool is that???

WE GOT NO EXCUSES TO MAKE!

30. By Kevin S Mesa on Oct 28, 2014 | Reply

Craig and Patrick Hoog

Re: Excuses

I for one don’t care if we beat teams at full strength or not. That may matter for people who care about “power ranking” discussions and bragging rights with their buddies, but by the end of the regular season all that is forgotten. Do you think SF fans would’ve cared if they’d beaten us when we played Stanton? Wins count the same regardless. Anything that gives us a better chance of winning, and therefore a better playoff seeding with potential home games, is fine by me. Dallas could be in the thick of the home-field-throughout-the-playoffs hunt, and so could we (lot of football to be played, of course). So all I want is a win. We have a better chance of a win if Romo doesn’t play or isn’t at full strength, so I’ll take it. We’ve been down enough guys as far as I’m concerned for it to even out a bit.

31. By clssylssy on Oct 29, 2014 | Reply

@Kevin in Mesa…
    You are right, of course, when it comes down to the bottom line on W’s and L’s. Years from now nobody remembers the score (except in the case of the Cards getting blown out in Seattle) or even the W/L record for a season. HOWEVER, perennial playoff teams and champions don’s get there year-after-year, by squeaking out wins in the last seconds of the game. We need to start converting those beautiful turnovers into TDs when the opportunity presents; they are gifts that have been squandered to date by an offense that is not playing up to it’s potential.
    When you look at the depth of talent on the Cards team (players and coaches), we should have tweaked our game and corrected those mental mistakes by now to be considered the top NFC team, Penalties …there shouldn’t be such things as “false starts”, “delay of game”, “too many players on the field” or repeated dropped passes by your go-to guys if a team wants to be considered legit.
    Going into Dallas thinking they will be somehow weakened by Romo not playing could be a serious mistake as Romo’s not the reason that team has been winning but rather the talent around him. If Weeden plays we will be going into that situation blind in much the same way as our opponents when Stanton started and we all know how that turned out! (Not saying Weeden is any Stanton, just better to “know your enemy)
    We are going into the final stretch, and crunch time for real. We are sitting in a very precarious position with a bullseye on our back and can’t afford to consider any loss as acceptable! We all know Larry is still who we knew he was and hopefully now the powers-to-be will also appreciate his enormous talents and use them wisely to help the Cards seal the deal on this year’s schedule. I want to see those Championship banners flying at U of P stadium having been earned by winning each game as it comes and not taking ANY team for granted. Let’s go into Dallas and take care of business! LET’S DO IT!

32. By JohnnyBluenose on Oct 29, 2014 | Reply

@Scott H…thanks and .glad you had a great time. me too.very loud and very exciting. i’m sticking around to watch the rams and the lions too. no reason we can’t win both of those games although I hope the outcome is not decided on the final play again. i don’t know if my heart could take. Too bad the lions got a second chance on Sunday and beat Atlanta. I would have preferred them at 5-3 instead of 6-2. Keep going Cardinals.

33. By tyman on Oct 29, 2014 | Reply

Huge test this week against the Cowboys.

34. By Scott H on Oct 29, 2014 | Reply

JohnnyBluenose –

Wow, 2 more games….I am truly envious of your good fortune! Keep bringing your good karma of yours and good things will happen!