Keim: Peterson protocol, and a Coop chance

Posted by Darren Urban on October 27, 2014 – 8:13 am

There isn’t much new to report on cornerback Patrick Peterson this morning, but General Manager Steve Keim said during his weekly appearance on the “Doug and Wolf” show on Arizona Sports 98.7 that Peterson was “in good spirits” as he left the stadium last night and will go through the concussion protocol before he can return to the field. “It’s not different than Drew Stanton’s (situation),” Keim said, referring to when Stanton suffered a concussion earlier this season. Stanton eventually was able to pass his concussion tests and was active the following week, although Carson Palmer was back by then and Stanton didn’t have to play. You figure if Peterson is active, he’s going to play a lot, so we’ll see how he reacts to the tests and the exertion he would have to give. Every concussion is serious, but every one is also different, and there’s no way to know right now how this will affect Peterson.

— The other “news” from Keim: Keim said Bruce Arians and the coaches have been praising how well guard Jonathan Cooper has been looking in practice and how he is beginning to look like the guy everyone in the organization was so high on last year before Cooper broke his leg.

“I wouldn’t be surprised if in the next couple of weeks we try to work him back in there,” Keim said. “I know he was in there a little bit (Sunday) on some short-yardage stuff and some unbalanced, but he continues to improve and we certainly have not lost any faith in him.”

Keim was asked to define what he meant to work Cooper in. “Little bit of guard, and it’s been no secret Paul Fanaika has been banged up a little bit and when you have a player with Coop’s ability, you have to try and get him some snaps sooner rather than later.”

— Keim said he could’ve given a game ball to a bunch of different players, not surprising the way it turned out. “It was nice to see Larry (Fitzgerald) have such a good game,” Keim said, and agreed that veteran defensive tackle Tommy Kelly has been a major addition. “Sometimes you worry about the amount of snaps he’s playing, but he has been a breath of fresh air,” Keim said.

Tags: , , ,

30 Responses to “Keim: Peterson protocol, and a Coop chance”

1. By D on Oct 27, 2014 | Reply

I bet Keim is burning up the phone lines before the trade deadline…looking for a pass rusher…..if they can find one this team can go far…

2. By georgiebird on Oct 27, 2014 | Reply

Speaking about the offensive side of the ball, here’s a major concern:
    With all our explosiveness on the offense, why is the TE position such an underachieving part of our offense.
    1) is it the game plan?
    2) quality of the player
    3) bad luck
    4) all of the above
    Once again, Sunday was a game where the Eagles’ TEs were all over the place and the Cardinals’ TEs were inconspicuous or non-productive.

3. By Chris on Oct 27, 2014 | Reply

Which position is Cooper actually practicing for? Do you know that?

Basically he is our LG, but right now his role is back up swing OG, therefore i would like to know which position he is primarily practicing at.
    Especially as Cooper practicing both OG positions would leave questions if Warford does the same or what position he is in.

4. By Darren Urban on Oct 27, 2014 | Reply

Chris —

RE: Cooper

He was working at right guard when Fanaika was hurt.

5. By Eric G on Oct 27, 2014 | Reply

It doesn’t really get said much, but a lot of appreciation needs to be directed toward Larry Foote’s way. He has been an iron horse for the defense playing every play this season.

As a Cards fan since they moved in 88, I am in shock right now at this team being 6-1. They have no business being there with all the injuries on defense and Palmer missing games, but some how, some way, they’ve found a way to win. I’m not used to it. Gotta say its a great feeling.

6. By MikeFlorio on Oct 27, 2014 | Reply

Game Ball: Rashad Johnson !!! Can we get a defensive play breakdown on that last play URB?

Like what happened in the end zone, why was Tyrann laying on the turf?

And if Johnson didn’t break off that flat dummy route and sprint to the corner to solidify that the receiver would end up out of bounds?

Great Game-

Best quote: “Can’t be scared to lose the game.”

7. By Darren Urban on Oct 27, 2014 | Reply

MikeFlorio —

RE: Breaksdown

Already working on it, as a matter of fact.

8. By ryan on Oct 27, 2014 | Reply

Well, for anyone that has been bashing PP, you will probably get to see a few games without him. congrats!

DEMOLISH DALLAS!
    6-1

9. By Dr. G. on Oct 27, 2014 | Reply

I hope by “”work Cooper back in”” he means on the right side for a while. That will give him and Palmer a better view of things.

10. By jme on Oct 27, 2014 | Reply

Last shot in endzone was no way near in with or without a push, Foles extreme pressure and he basically threw it away… Hope PP is ok, but again his play is questionable, i hope he figures out where the drive he had went to. Man coverage is hard yes but still he should have a couple Int. and more defended passes then he does, hes too good of a player not too. I think he needs to go back to Punt returner, it made him a better player overall.

11. By Patrick Hoog aka Don't Take Losses on Oct 27, 2014 | Reply

Thankfully the Cards have more cohesiveness than some of our opponents, Sir Charles dishes on Seahawks mess: http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/heat-index/2014/10/27/charles-barkley-speaks-out-on-russell-wilson-racial-criticism/18007171/

12. By James P. Krehbiel on Oct 27, 2014 | Reply

I am glad that Cooper is progressing and is beginning to see some playing time. Like Ta’amu and Mathieu, Cooper lost time, confidence and game reps. I believe Cooper will morph into the guard we drafted him to become. What a positive addition he will bring to our offensive line as Keim had planned. It’s all about patience and timing. I wish him the best!

13. By John The Draft Guy on Oct 27, 2014 | Reply

Johnnybluenose;

It was nice to meet you at the game. I know you enjoyed it and thanks for the book.

14. By John The Draft Guy on Oct 27, 2014 | Reply

Wow, 6-1. The long time Arizona Card fans always had hope, but never had a chance to say the Cards are one of the best teams in the NFL.

Sign Cromartie today. I see no reason to wait.

Hope PP gets cleared, I was really hoping to see Dez Bryant vs Pat Peterson.

Our safeties are awesome. Johnson, Honey Badger, and Jefferson played great.

On the second to last play, the eagles get the defense they want. the 6’5″ Ertz singled up on the rookie Bucannon at 6’1″. We all know Bucannon’s strength is not coverage, but he played it perfectly. He stayed on top of the receiver, knocked the ball away, without contact. Great play. When I saw the coverage and play develop, I thought we lost the game, but the kid made a game saving play.

I would never go to Vegas with Bowles because this guy is a crazy gambler.
    Oh, I love his wild west all out defense, but got to admit, it was scary.
    At the end of the game, I thought he would sit 8 guys in the endzone and rush 3. Instead, the guy sends the house. The eagles had their shots but the cards rose to the occasion.

I hope this game sends a message to Arians that Fitz should be targeted, plays should be designed for him, and he should be putting up huge numbers every week.

If anything keeps the cards from winning it all, it will be the lack of pass rush. Of all the good things Keim has done, he really blew this one.

FYI – Akeem Ayers (the guy who the Pats got for a 6th and 7th) actually got to play for the Pats and had a sack.

How could you miss that one Keim? Heck, this isn’t my job and I said a month ago Ayers would be available. I said you could get him for late round picks and he could help inside or outside. Don’t get that one.

Carson is a stud. To drop that ball into a bucket from 35-40 yards away, amazing.

John Brown is fast. How fast? Watch the Fitz TD, how he blows by the defenders. Oh, and I think he did something at the end of the game too.

15. By MartinK on Oct 27, 2014 | Reply

It is just great to see a team that has collective strength and confidence to win. That is exactly why Fantasy football will never do it for me. There is nothing better than a team that clicks with players that have good character and have the willingness and ability to be a team.

More than anyone in the league Keim and BA have shown great talent to pick players that have a good mix of intelligence, character, and talent. Well done!

16. By D on Oct 27, 2014 | Reply

Some players on teams that could be an option for AZ:
    Shaun Phillips, OLB TEN- Titans are not going anywhere this year.
    Antwan Barnes OLB Jets- they may fire Rex before end of the year.

Unlike the previous two players above who would be only for this year, this next player could be an option for 2 or more years:
    Tamba Hali-KC. Word on the street is the Chiefs will lock up Houston long term and drafted Dee Ford last spring as a 1st round pass rusher. His contract maybe an issue, and he is one dimensional, but the Cards need a Pass Rusher this year if they want to win in the playoffs.

17. By Canadian Redbird on Oct 27, 2014 | Reply

Darren

Could you give us an update on Daryl Washington and Tamuu? I thought Alameda played well for the Cards last year and was instrumental in our run defence. Got to love 2014 FA Cromartie and Tommy Kelly’s play. Nice signings Kiem !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Not so high on Ginn however even though he returned a punt for a TD. It appears that he isn’t making smart decisions in whether to return punts or call for a fair catch. I think my favorite signing is John Brown ( talented and humble ). His story makes eveyone want to cheer for the guy.

18. By Darren Urban on Oct 27, 2014 | Reply

Canadian –

RE: Washington/Ta’amu

There is no update on Washington. Ta’amu hasn’t played as well coming off knee surgery. He’s still trying to get in condition and hasn’t played a lot.

19. By BirdsSTC on Oct 27, 2014 | Reply

MartinK –

Fantasy Football will never do it for you because it’s great to see a team that has collective strength and confidence to win… what???

20. By James P. Krehbiel on Oct 27, 2014 | Reply

There seems to be a tad of a tug between Keim’s perspective and the expectations of BA over the use of J. Cooper. Since he drafted him, Keim seems to be more eager to get Coop playing time at this point and I agree with his assessment. Continuity is important, but not at the expense of our best guards being on the field.

21. By cards62 on Oct 27, 2014 | Reply

Hence forth from this day forward John Brown will be known as Little Larry. Man those were two great catches. Fitz is the man and we need to rework his deal asap so he will be a Cardinal next year.

I am very glad to hear that our first round pick Cooper is making progress, but I have to tell you guys I am worried right now about a couple of our other first round picks Patrick Peterson and Michael Floyd. Someone said we are bashing Peterson and I just think we are all just wondering what is happening to him. The more he plays the less plays he makes for us. Remember his rookie season also as a return man and then how he did at returns after that. Something is just not right with him and I am concerned.

I would really enjoy every ones feedback on Michael Floyd especially John the Draft Guy. The 3 catches he did not make were not easy, but man we need to have a few of those, and does he continue to block and do the other aspects of the game needed. I watched the game on TV and just could not feel that he was into this game. When Little Larry caught the winning touchdown Fitz and Ellington about beat him to death with excitement and I am not saying Floyd did not congratulate Little Larry, but I did not see him in the end zone or on the sideline. I like Floyd and was glad when we drafted him, but just wondering where his head is at this season.

Georgie Bird totally agree with you on the TE positioned. Only Cardinal TE I ever brag about is Jackie Smith and he has not played for us in what 50 years.

John the Draft Guy I agree with you Cromartie really looked comfortable today and we need to extend his one year contract sooner rather than later.

Tony Jefferson seemed like he was everywhere in this game so I am impressed with him and Honey Badger also played well and C. Campbell is a warrior just for being out there so soon.

I do wish we would learn to cover the receiver in the back of the endzone better as I was reliving our Superbowl loss to Pittsburg and S. Holmes when he was able to catch the ball twice at the back of the endzone.

Last point is I agree with all of you and we have all seen it all season that we need a pass rusher. Keim has done an excellent job, but I vote we give up some of our future draft picks and pull the trigger on a trade or two. Our guys are giving everything they can on defense, but we just can not get to the QB. I think our team is special this year. but we all see that this is our most significant need this year.

Question to Darren on Dan Williams. I did not see Big Dan on Philly last drive when they ran the ball so effectively on us and kicked the short field goal. Was he hurt or was this part of the rotation or did I just miss seeing him in the game. I thought our run defense was very good for this game except for on this drive.

Thanks everyone and enjoy the win as our Cardinals are 6 -1. Hardly ever have we started a season this well.

22. By CreditCard on Oct 27, 2014 | Reply

Even though the Card offense is not running on all cylinders; the way they are scoring each week adds another area of preparation for the opponent. The Oakland game, prepare for Ellington. Philly game, Fitzgerald and Brown going deep. Earlier defenses had to pay attention to Floyd and Carson. As each player steps forward, it will force opponents into more basic defenses.

This Card team is certainly not one dimensional.

23. By CreditCard on Oct 27, 2014 | Reply

The more I see Rashad Johnson play … the more I’m impressed. The Cards really do have a deep secondary. Powers, Cro, PP, Johnson, Mathieu, Jefferson, Buchannan. Wow.

Again, I thought Rucker, Williams, Kelly, Campbell (of course), and the rookie, Stinson played well. Acho plays the screen and flat pass to a RB very well. He is all over the field.

Sure would be nice to get Shaughnessy back to hold the line.

Darren how is Shaughnessy rehab coming? Another 4-weeks or so?

24. By Darren Urban on Oct 27, 2014 | Reply

Credit —

RE: Shaughnessy

Timeline here: http://www.azcardinals.com/news-and-events/article-2/Matt-Shaughnessy-Heads-To-IR/2e9488c4-ed1e-49f4-8f21-d9a2463ba53c

25. By John The Draft Guy on Oct 27, 2014 | Reply

Cards62,

Darren may have more info, but Floyd hurt himself and I am not sure he was 100%. It looked like he had no 2nd gear to go get the ball.

And you said;

Bowles is a flat out gambler. 90% of the DCs drop 8 into the endzone. Bowles goes all out blitz. Sure guys were open but Foles didn’t have the time to set his feet and throw the ball accurately. Huge gamble that paid off.

26. By Richard S on Oct 27, 2014 | Reply

It’s apparent that the reason the next man up works is Arians’s system. BA is the reason the Cards are 6-1. Keim needs to get Arians to pay attention to his health, make him do the exercise bike and get him back to his college playing weight. He’s the one man where next man up might not work. Stay healthy BA and give the Cards many more years. Going into prior weeks games, system was 3 games below Phil Sims, 1 game above Ed Reed and 3 games above Boomer Esiason on Inside the NFL with 69 correct out of 106 games. This last weekend the system has 12 right out of 15 games,getting only the Tennesee, Pittsburg and Dallas games wrong. It looks like the New Orleans Green Bay game caused one team to rise above Arizona and one team to fall below in the rating system, while Arizona rose above Dallas. The system is not based on records, rather predictions versus actual results. Here is the current neutral field rating following the Cowboy Washington game. Add 3 points to home team for predicted point differential. Number in parenthesis is the system’s original ranking going into the start of the season, based on last year’s final regular season ranking. 1. Denver (4) 102.23 2. NE (3) 98.71 3. Seattle (1) 98.15 4. KC (14) 97.68 5. San Fran (2) 96.42 6. Balt (17) 96.25 7. NO (6) 95.66 8. Phil (9) 95.59 9. Indy (13) 95.52 10. SD (10) 95.01 11. Az (8) 94.62 12. Cincy (5) 94.29 13. Gbay (16) 93.8 15. Dall (20) 92.71 16. Det (15) 92.5 16. Pitt (11) 91.21 17. Carol (7) 91.15 18. Mia (21) 91.08 19. Buff (23) 90.09 20. Atl (19) 88.78 21. Giants (22) 88.76 22. Minn (18) 87.81 23. Rams (12) 87.64 24. Hou (29) 87.19 25. Chi (24) 86.49 26. Cle (28) 86.25 27. Wash (30) 83.06 28. Jets (26) 82.75 29. Tampa (25) 82.18 30. Tenn (27) 81.84 31. Oak (31) 79.73 32. Jax (32) 79.16. With a 3 point home field advantage, the system says Dallas should win by 1.09 points over Arizona. If they don’t, then Arizona will increase their point rating. Go Cards.

27. By John The Draft Guy on Oct 27, 2014 | Reply

Interesting that the coach of the eagles mentioned this play too. He thought he had the match up to win also. He called Bucannon a LB, saying we got our TE against their LB in a mismatch.

That play was mentioned above;

Here is a couple other huge defensive plays;

#11 catches the ball and breaks a tackle inside our 10. He looked like he has a chance to score but a hustling Frostee Rucker hits him from behind, causing a fumble on the 7 yd line and Bucannon comes up with it.

Cromartie reads the QB and steps in front of the receiver and picks the ball, then takes it out 38 yards.

The defensive stand on the 2 yd line. I believe it was Tony Jefferson who stopped their RB forcing a FG instead of a TD.

Great overall job.

28. By rick on Oct 27, 2014 | Reply

Hopefully Keim can get a good pass rusher before the deadline that is the only piece of the puzzle we are missing on this still a great defense.

29. By Dynosoar on Oct 27, 2014 | Reply

And Dallas Lost to the Redskins. I think Dr.G called that one two articles ago.

I’m getting more and more excited about this Dallas game. We could sweep the NFC East for the first time ever. I so want this.

Stop the run and make Romo throw the ball and how many years of experience tells us, he will choke.

Everyone keeps saying we can’t win without a pass rush, all evidence to the contrary. We are winning. Now, a pass rush would’ve been huge against Manning, but as great as he is, if we meet him again we win. He has more Super Bowl losses than wins for a reason.

I don’t understand it, but there it is. Now I’ll focus on this week in Dallas.

4-0 against the NFC East! Let’s do it!

30. By jme on Oct 28, 2014 | Reply

pass rush will come, PP will rise up and then this D will b unstoppable