Taylor injury thins RB options

Posted by Darren Urban on October 28, 2014 – 9:57 am

Andre Ellington has been the Cardinals’ running back workhorse, with increasing carries the past couple of games. This team was always in a position where they needed Ellington to stay healthy and perform, given his skill set. That just becomes more important now, as Stepfan Taylor — Ellington’s backup — is expected to miss “significant time,” according to coach Bruce Arians, because of a calf injury.

(Feels like the Ellington-Taylor story might have been a jinx. … OK, not really.)

Taylor didn’t have a carry against the Eagles before going out with the injury in the second half. But it now means that the top two backs that were supposed to support Ellington — Jonathan Dwyer and Taylor — are not around. And this is all while Ellington is playing through a bum foot. The Cardinals have explored adding a running back through trade but nothing has been that close to happening and now, Marion Grice — a rookie sixth-round pick of San Diego who was cut and on a practice squad before the Cards signed him — is the Ellington backup. You’d think at some point, the Cards will have to add a back to the 53-man roster. Kerwynn Williams is an option from their own practice squad. Robert Hughes simply has a different role.

Of course, if Ellington can stay on the field, maybe it doesn’t matter as much. Ellington took every one of the Cardinals’ 23 rushing attempts against Philly. Offensive coordinator Harold Goodwin has said a couple of times he thinks Grice can play the same kind of role Ellington does. The Cardinals may have to find out, at least on a limited basis.

UPDATE: The Cardinals made a practice squad move to give them running back options, bringing local guy Zach Bauman back to the practice squad and releasing cornerback Anthony Gaitor.

EllingtonTaylorblogUSE

Tags: , , , ,

31 Responses to “Taylor injury thins RB options”

1. By 'ZonaFan89 on Oct 28, 2014 | Reply

I’m interested to see what Grice can do, hopefully he gets some action vs. Dallas. Don’t think Taylor’s injury is as hard to take as some of the others we’ve had (i.e. Palmer, Dockett, Abraham, Campbell, etc.). Ellington has been a beast so far this year! Can’t remember the last time we had a RB that good. Go Cardinals!!!

2. By Mike G on Oct 28, 2014 | Reply

Hey Darren–Hope all is good–Great win by the Card’s on Sunday. Really exciting game– kind of had flashbacks to 2008’s Championship game against the Eagles. There were really an awful lot of penalties in this game similar to last years game in Philadelphia. It is really something how the Card’s seem to overcome the injuries and how they are able to handle adversity. I really think the difference for them this year is that they are taking care of the football. That is the main reason they have a 6-1 record. Philly with 3 turnovers– the Cards with one. Really think the Card’s are going to need another running back to take some snaps and take a little stress off of Ellington as the season goes on. Feel bad that S-Taylor was injured. I hope Grice can contribute as the backup. Looking forward to the game this week in Dallas. Hey Darren–Do you think there is a chance that Fox might move this game from 1:00pm to a 4:00pm start????

3. By Darren Urban on Oct 28, 2014 | Reply

Mike G —

RE: Dallas game time

Can’t change now. Has to be made 12 days out.

4. By ryan on Oct 28, 2014 | Reply

I was doing a little bit of tailgating before the the eagles game (so i might not remember exactly) but why did we not try for a field goal on our first drive? 53 yards?

5. By Darren Urban on Oct 28, 2014 | Reply

Ryan —

RE: 53-yard FG

B.A. said he never considered it.

6. By red bird of death! on Oct 28, 2014 | Reply

Grice can is a good receiver watch his hi lights he could be good if used that way he runs weird though. Another worry is his lack of experience, but I really think if he spends enough time around Elllington he could help diversify our offense even more.

7. By superbowlcards on Oct 28, 2014 | Reply

Being that Grice is homegrown, at least college, in most Cardinal fans backyard, does anyone have a current RB in the league that Grice looks like? Or compares to, resembles in running style, reminds you of, however I need to say it, confusing me trying to get point across!!

8. By red bird of death! on Oct 28, 2014 | Reply

Sorry I’m sleep typing you all know what I mean.

9. By Dr. G. on Oct 28, 2014 | Reply

Taylor has value to the Cards…as in the Flying Wallenda’s touchdown. He just has not had the reps to show how “goodly” he is… Watch out Arlington!

10. By topdog on Oct 28, 2014 | Reply

It seems like when a RB comes into the NFL, he has to fit into a scheme…When in the old days, they draft you on a team the scheme is already in place…So it doesn’t matter who the RB is, because alot of teams want to pass 75% of the time..Go Cards

11. By Big Ken on Oct 28, 2014 | Reply

We got a look at Robert Hughes last Sunday. Lets take some heat off of Andre.

12. By AZ2FL on Oct 28, 2014 | Reply

Since Jason Licht and Steve Keim are old buddies. Try and get Doug Martin for a late round draft pick.

13. By topdog on Oct 28, 2014 | Reply

Lmao…that would be a desperate move, when Martin hasn’t been producing these last 2 seasons.

14. By Andy Kw on Oct 28, 2014 | Reply

RB Delone Carter?

15. By grabling on Oct 28, 2014 | Reply

Cardinals uniform for sunday against dallas?

16. By Darren Urban on Oct 28, 2014 | Reply

grabling —

RE: Uniform

Since Cowboys are almost always white at home, I’m guessing red.

17. By BirdsSTC on Oct 28, 2014 | Reply

I knew we should’ve taken Ka’Deem Carey in the draft…

18. By Scott H on Oct 28, 2014 | Reply

Gee…injuries thinning the options that the Cardinals have….how unusual.

Just keep fighting back, fellas. Just keep fighting back.

19. By James yielding on Oct 28, 2014 | Reply

They need to bring in Felix Jones ….

20. By RB on Oct 28, 2014 | Reply

I hate to say it but… Where is lil sweetness?

21. By superbowlcards on Oct 28, 2014 | Reply

As much as I would like to see Grice get his shot (I think he is going to shock everyone, in a positive way) I didn’t want injury to be the reason!! What concerns me is AE just worn down to nothing by playoffs, or an injury that costs Cards their top RB, everyone seems to think he is not built to be a team workhorse, yet, he is and will continue to be the workhorse! RB, in my mind was/is one of our few weakspots, has been since camp, at least I think so.
    Positive – I would argue from top to bottom, we have the best Safety’s in the NFL!! Anyone know of any better?

22. By georgiebird on Oct 28, 2014 | Reply

Cards not going for the 53 yard FG at the beginning of the game played a roll in the early going.
    Although BA might not want to say it publicly, I don’t think he wanted Cat missing out on the record with such a difficult kick. Kicking indoors, I think Cat gets that one.
    Winning is everything. If the Cards had lost by 1 or 2 pts-passing on that FG, would have become a much debated point.

23. By superbowlcards on Oct 29, 2014 | Reply

Georgiebird
    With all due respect, I do not believe that Coach cares one bit about any individual record (unless game is out of reach, and record wouldn’t put a team victory on the line) he wants the win, not some rookie kicking record. Afterall, his job security is based on wins/loses not individual players setting records. Sorry, I will have to disagree with you on that one.
    Why he opted not to attempt a FG is anyone’s guess, (only BA knows the answer to that) but I can say with certainty that some kicking record that Cat is chasing was not the reason.

24. By cards62 on Oct 28, 2014 | Reply

Sorry to see Taylor or anyone get injured and he has been improving.
    Grice impressed me in the preseason, so I look forward to watching him play against Dallas. Only problem with young running backs is sometimes holding onto the ball. I watched Dallas lose last night, but I was impressed with the energy and quickness of their defense. Expecting another great game Sunday.

Read earlier comment from Darren that the game can not be moved to 4PM but could it be moved to Sunday Night? Does anyone know if we have that chance?

Go Cards and Go Royals

25. By superbowlcards on Oct 29, 2014 | Reply

Cards62
    Yes it cups have been moved, NBC has “flex” scheduling power as well, but I believe same rule applies, must be 12 days out, pretty sure that is NFL rule, even applies to NFL network, if I’m not mistaken. I’m at 99.9%, anyone at 100% on the 12 day prior flex schedule??

26. By Marcelof on Oct 29, 2014 | Reply

this conversation remembered me Beanie Wells, has he retired? (no I DO NOT want him back) just curiosity…

There’s a video at Bleacher Report which I haven’t seen yet that raises the possibility of Arizona’s chasing Steven Jackson before the deadline trade. Particularly I’d like the move as long as it didn’t cost the Cards much. He’s injury prone, but somehow I see him fit so well on BA’s system.

27. By ryan on Oct 29, 2014 | Reply

cards62- i have read a couple of times that if a game is going to be flexed, it has to be done at least 12 days prior to the game. so its not changing.

28. By JohnnyBluenose on Oct 29, 2014 | Reply

thanks for the film room breakdown of sunday’s final play and the comments from some of our defenders. that was a close play. very glad it went our way.

29. By Chuck 1 on Oct 29, 2014 | Reply

Maybe the reason that Grice isn’t playing is that he’s not very good in protection???

30. By azdesertrat1953 on Oct 29, 2014 | Reply

I am waiting to see how Grice does.
    Think about it, has any player that has played this year played badly and lasted more than a week?

Does anyone think that BA or Keim would put a player on the field that can not play? No.

I would think that if Marion Grice is on the field he will be able to help the Team and that is the bottom line.
    If he can’t, he will not last a week on this Team.

LETS GO!! (for you Calais, welcome back!)

GO CARDS!!!

31. By Andrew on Oct 29, 2014 | Reply

I’m not too worried about this at all. Ellington has shown that he can carry the work in full, but I think we can definitely rely on Grice to be able to carry a good portion of the work load as well. He has the same type of skill set as Ellington, and I think he can be a real beast for this team. Imagine what he and Ellington could do for our team if Grice just so happens to be able to play at the same level as Ellington… I really like the practice squad move as well with bringing back Bauman. All though he is a little small in height, he’s still some what big. When we cut him in the offseason I was a little upset, I don’t think he can make a HUGE impact like Ellington can, but I think he could still produce like Dwyer or Taylor could.