Patrick Peterson cleared to practice

Posted by Darren Urban on October 29, 2014 – 1:28 pm

Patrick Peterson acknowledged he briefly was knocked out Sunday when he collided with Jeremy Maclin and Deone Bucannon, ending his game. But the cornerback has cleared the concussion protocol — he did it Tuesday — and was back at practice Wednesday as the Cardinals prep for Dallas. He even was going to golf Tuesday after he passed, which his doctor OK’d. His wife, however, did not and Peterson instead took it easy.

“I feel normal,” Peterson said. “It was a scare, but you have to move forward.”

Peterson has upgraded to a new helmet.

— Fellow defensive back Tony Jefferson has not yet been cleared through the concussion protocol, however. Coach Bruce Arians is hopeful he will be cleared by Wednesday. Running back Stepfan Taylor, in the meantime, won’t practice because of his calf injury and won’t play this weekend but said he already feels much better and called his status “week to week.”

— On a conference call, Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo said he wanted to play against the Cardinals but will be reevaluated daily with his back bruise suffered Monday night. If it were just a question of pain tolerance, Romo said, he’d play. But also in the equation is his ability to be an effective quarterback, and that will factor in as well.

Tags: , , ,

35 Responses to “Patrick Peterson cleared to practice”

1. By Brandon on Oct 29, 2014 | Reply

I don’t understand (ignorance here) about this ‘new helmet’ thing. I have seen a couple players switch to better helmets to help prevent concussions. Why are all players not using these in the first place?

2. By Darren Urban on Oct 29, 2014 | Reply

Brandon —

RE: New helmets

Comfort level, or just being unwilling to change, mostly.

3. By Mikel on Oct 29, 2014 | Reply

do you think that the cards could bring in beanie wells for the same type of role
    for taylor

4. By Darren Urban on Oct 29, 2014 | Reply

Mikel —

RE: Beanie

I’d be surprised if Beanie plays again.

5. By Dynosoar on Oct 29, 2014 | Reply

“His wife, however, did not and Peterson instead took it easy.”

Smart man on and off the field!

6. By Dynosoar on Oct 29, 2014 | Reply

I’d rather have Romo playing against us. We stop the run against them like we have for a long time and we win, there’s a reason they haven’t been to the playoffs in a long time. Wow. I sound like I did when Anderson played for us.

7. By D on Oct 29, 2014 | Reply

The way Cro is playing, I would have him mirror Dez and PP can handle Williams…the real test will be Bucannon/Johnson on Witten…that is the mismatch…Cards D just needs to stay disciplined against Murray and that good Oline.

8. By Scott H on Oct 29, 2014 | Reply

Very nice to hear that Peterson is feeling better, back on the practice field, seemingly on track to play Sunday. Now, all we need to do is hope he starts playing better than he has. Ya know….you draw a lot of attention to yourself and raise a lot of expectations when you start pounding your chest, proclaiming yourself as the best CB in the league, and then asking to be the highest paid CB in the league. Well, after you’ve done all that – and the team gives you what you ask for – you better be able to live up to your own hype. PP has fallen very short. At this point – and I don’t mind saying it – he owes us something. He owes us what he claims he was AND was gonna be. Time to start paying the bills, PP.

The player he has been up to this season WAS worth that contract. The player we’ve seen so far THIS season has not been.

9. By Dynosoar on Oct 29, 2014 | Reply

Has anyone seen this?

“On a Dallas radio show Wednesday morning, Jerry Jones told the media that Tony Romo’s pain tolerance will determine his playing status for Week 9.”

I’m more and more impressed with our ownership and coaching staff and all those on this page that are patient with injuries. How many times did I read, let him heal fully and he’ll be a better player than if we put him in too soon.

I’m looking forward to this game. I hope Romo sits if he needs it, if he’s cut he’ll be a QB somewhere else and hopefully with a more understanding owner. He played the 49ers last year with a broken rib, I think his pain tolerance is pretty high, but he just had back surgery.

Bring on Wheeden, I trust we’ll win whomever is behind center.

10. By Dynosoar on Oct 29, 2014 | Reply

Maybe the reason the Cowboys haven’t been to the playoffs in a long time isn’t the QB, it may be Jerry.

11. By James P. Krehbiel on Oct 29, 2014 | Reply

Will the NFL and teams continue to ignore their mistakes? WatchingTony flounder reminded me of RG111 in the playoffs. Neither organization protected their QB and both are paying the price. Winning is important but not at the expense of the long term health of players. So with all the concussion issues in the NFL, should players have an option of wearing a more protective helmet? Makes no sense regardless of comfort.

12. By Dynosoar on Oct 29, 2014 | Reply

I got a thumbs down, so someone actually likes that Jerry Jones wants Romo to play, injured or not? Or was it something else? Haha.

Sometimes I just wish I understood why I get thumbs… up or down. I know it’s not my name because in one post I’ll have 15 up and the next it’s all down. Makes this whole blogging a little more fun.

I don’t remember who suggested the thumbs, but you deserve a thumbs up for it.

It’s all for our team so I’m good. I’m actually more than good, I love the interaction here.

I really like that when Palmer had trouble with his shoulder BA said, it’s all good, next man up and Michael Bidwill supports him. Instead of what;s had in other places. PP is not being forced back and if he hadn’t passed protocols, no one would’ve questioned his toughness.

I am more and more impressed with our team, from the ownership to coaches to players to all other staff (Keim, Darren, Kyle, etc.)

13. By Dynosoar on Oct 29, 2014 | Reply

4-0 against the NFC East and a Patriots win will make my weekend almost complete. A Tennessee Volunteers win would make it complete, but I’ll settle for the first two out of three as the third is actually not as probable.

Anyone attending the Dallas game, would you make a sign that says something about “4-0 against the East” or “Make History and Sweep the East” or something more clever or memorable?

That would be something to behold, especially if we do it (and it’s highly probable.)

14. By georgiebird on Oct 29, 2014 | Reply

A happy wife is a happy life

15. By georgiebird on Oct 29, 2014 | Reply

@Scott H,
    The player PP was prior to this season was NOT worth the contract he got. You can blame some of it on the rules changes. BUT when you get schooled by Danny Amendola, among other lessons, there was no reason for that contract. The timing and the amount of the contract was not SK’s finest moment.
    PP was drafted very young. Some cornerbacks in the 2014 draft were the same age as PP was this past May. PP’s body has developed to the point that he is no longer that wiry CB capable of staying with the phenomenal receivers in the league. Now, PP looks more the part of a FB or SS.

16. By jwoodaz on Oct 29, 2014 | Reply

Humble pie, mm mmm. Sometimes a new perspective is all you need, it’s not like everyone who has caught a pass on PP doesn’t get paid and they are all really talented too. His greatness will shine through by the end of the season. Sometimes it seem like he’s setting up teams for our second half the season, great scheme and could really pay off, maybe now would be a good time to end the decoys and put the hammer down. Cromartie looks healthy again, let the young man work…I’m sure Deion has been wispering in his ear too, you know with all the mentoring retired vets do in the League, and sometimes you just do’nt have 6-8 interceptions in a season this is a game of inches before yards. Let’s not forget that a stronger enforcement of hands on receivers has taken away a number of PP’s coverage options, He’s relearning his game and is getting better at it and maybe letting go of the frustration and embracing the new challenge. Kudos to the NFL. Now if only they would enforce pick routes run by receivers. The only reason Mathews was “open” on last play against Eagles. Maybe a new accordion style coverage where outside defender stays outside insider stays inside etc. All said and done I withdraw to my Team sport and what a Team this is.

17. By kauaicardsfan on Oct 29, 2014 | Reply

My take on the collision from what I could see from the replay, it looks like PP took it across the jaw similar to a right cross being thrown, hence the knock out.
    I dont think the new helmets would have made too much of a difference being the impact was near the jaw/face mask area?

Fighters get knocked out all the time, PP will be okay. I was just more worried that it was a neck injury with his head whipping back from the force.

Glad he is okay! Like the fighters saying goes, get knocked down nine times, stand up 10 !

GO CARDS !!!

18. By James P. Krehbiel on Oct 29, 2014 | Reply

Dynosoar-

Have no idea why anyone would give you a thumbs down on your comment that calls out Jerry Jones for hanging Tony Romo out to dry. by allowing him to return to the field. Who’s going to make Sunday’s decision?

19. By Dynosoar on Oct 29, 2014 | Reply

DeMarco is a beast and playing beast-mode. He’s the irresistible force while we’re the immovable object.

Who will win. If we continue to remain strong against the run (and DeMarco) then we win. Our secondary will stop the aerial attack. Just need to remain the best against the run.

4-0 Against the East!

(PS, I’d like to welcome the Dallas fans to our blog. See you on Sunday.)

20. By BigAl on Oct 29, 2014 | Reply

I’m w/many of you that PP’s contract was a bit too much…& for awhile, I was even like wow… “another guy who balled until he got paid” however, lets remember the Denver game when all of us were all over Cro being torched when in fact, Peyton made perfect throws that day, that were just out of our guys reach… & in his ballpark! In the SB…. “We will be in our Ballpark!” Seriously, back to what were all missing here…”Jon Abrahams pass rush from last year!” We blitz more than any team in the league…that puts all of our secondary on an island…& yet only 7 sacks in 8 games! That’s terrible! That’s the problem!!! And Not anyone of our secondary players! The pass rush is simply not effective so we risk the blitz!

21. By T.Stone on Oct 29, 2014 | Reply

Dyno

RE: sign that says something about “4-0 against the East”

Cant make the game myself, but I will put a sign out in the snow in front of my house. It will read,

“You hear the screams, Enter only if you want to see a Cowboy getting his ASS kicked”.

31- 21 Cardinals.

22. By Eazy E on Oct 30, 2014 | Reply

Need him for Dez if he’s healthy, even though I love Cro!

23. By shannon robinson on Oct 30, 2014 | Reply

Now we’re going after Patrick, a couple weeks after we went after Cro, and that was after we voiced dissatisfaction with JP’s coverage. Money and Contracts and the Salary Cap are mostly about timing. I’d bet we pay a big contract to Antonio Cromartie next year as well as re-sign Dan Williams after first giving our quarterback a boatload of money. I’m really glad that Patrick wasn’t knocked out as he looked like not moving on the field. As a rugby coach I’ve run onto the field when a player was unconscious and it’s frightening to put your head down, not touching them and hear them snoring and see their eyelids fluttering like they’re in a dream – then it’s 911 and an ambulance. A helmet does not protect your brain from a concussion – nothing can stop the brain from squashing against your skull going one way on a hit and then rebounding to squash against the inside of your skull the other direction. If a player is unconscious after a hit then they’re out for a month – be happy, we’re lucky on that one. Go PP – show us the money!

24. By Dynosoar on Oct 30, 2014 | Reply

James P. Krehbiel,

Yeah, I’m questioning that one as well. I wouldn’t think even Dallas fans would want Romo to play injured. I hope your game experience is a good one.

I’ll be watching with my brother and for once, my nephew won’t be rooting for the other team (he doesn’t have a single Cowboy player on his fantasy team, but seems to have at least one from all other teams we play this year. Haha!)

I love that BA let’s players heal (if they want to, HB) and Bidwill supports this.

4-0 is SO probable. I sound like a broken record (and yes, I do remember vinyls records.), but I so want this. Let’s see history made this Sunday – Sweep the NFC East!

4-0 against the East!

25. By Dynosoar on Oct 30, 2014 | Reply

T.Stone,

That’s Awesome! I should do the same. I have at least two Cowboys fans on my street.

26. By Brad on Oct 30, 2014 | Reply

Can we all just state the obvious here? PP is not that good. He was getting torched by Maclin before he got hurt, and has not done anything this year to live up to his contract. Truth hurts, but he needs to start being more accountable for his poor play.

27. By Kevin S Mesa on Oct 30, 2014 | Reply

My take on PP:

Rookie year he wowed because of the four long punt returns for TD’s. Showed flashes on D as well but obviously was learning the position and so sometimes made mistakes. Everyone saw the physical gifts and potential though.

He’s obviously a very good player, but I believe in a lot of ways, it was the punt returns that got him so much attention that first year. If he hadn’t been returning punts, he would’ve just been a rookie CB adjusting to life in the NFL. He wouldn’t have been in the Pro Bowl, and we all wouldn’t have thought he was superhuman.

Then came the next couple years… the great punt returning was never repeated (and in fact by his third year it wasn’t even his job), but again, because he was such a great athlete, we saw him used on offense… even completing a pass and catching a pass in the same game last year, something not done by a defensive player in 40+ years.

I don’t know whether georgebird is right about PP’s body development making him less effective at covering top receivers, or if he’s not staying focused (a word Keim used), or if there are other explanations for what we all think we’re seeing. However, I do think it’s not as dire as people think — I mean, he’s not playing badly. Living up to his huge contract? I don’t think so. But I also think our perception of PP is much different than it would be if he had never returned punts and never played an offensive down. It’s also probably different than it would be if he wasn’t quite so mouthy about the whole “best CB” claims and so forth.

28. By Scott H on Oct 30, 2014 | Reply

Kevin –

Interesting points, as always. But for me, the punt / KO return thing is NOT a factor in any of this. It was years ago. SEEMS like even longer. It was headline stuff at the time ( his rookie year ) but it was for one season, and that was it. Maybe I focus on the wrong stuff but for me, this is purely about the here and now, his level of play this season, and, yes, the contract. And as you say, he’s been done as a return man since the end of 2012, so the contract he got earlier this year had nothing to do with that.

I have to wonder if he is just not where he needs to be MENTALLY right now. Obviously, he is in his physical prime. So it’s NOT about that. His play was specifically highlighted on a pre-game show I caught some of on Sunday morning. I think Eric Allen ( former Eagles All-Pro CB ) was one of the hosts and at one point, the comment was made that “he just looks lost and confused out there right now.” I’m not saying I agree with that. But….I DO wonder if what is not quite right right now is in his head.

I have to think that he will shake this off and return to his usual top-notch play before this season is over.

Who knows? Maybe we SHOULD let him do some returns, ya know? Maybe that would be the spark he needs for the jump-start.

29. By clssylssy on Oct 30, 2014 | Reply

It seems nobody is aware of the new rules focusing more on defensive players and making it harder for them to do their job as in previous years. IMO, the new rules are about as clear as mud both for the players as well as the officials and many refs automatically focus their attention on the most high profile players such as Peterson, Lynch, Sherman etc. and throw a flag in anticipation of a touch (not even a grab). Good players do not want their team to draw costly penalties and are playing more tentatively than before giving the impression that they are “slacking’ .This is true all around the league and is the reason some teams with aggressive and physical defenses seem to be struggling (Saints, Seahawks, 9ers). In the Eagles game there was a play that looked like Cro was going to draw a penalty and he was quite vocal and animated, resulting in a “no penalty on the play” when if Peterson had argued he would have probably been penalized for unsportsmanlike conduct; sometimes it just doesn’t pay to be in the cross hairs of the refs as well as the fans!
    As far as “deserving” a big payday, Peterson is regarded as one of the best athletes and #2 corner in the league, and if we hadn’t paid him someone else would have in a heart beat (probably the 9ers or Seattle, Denver, Saints) so it comes down to damage control…besides, when did a team ever pay out the full contract to a player? Certainly, the Cards won’t be doing that, as we can see by the example set in the Larry Fitzgerald situation in which his contract has been renegotiated several times with the team now trying to “phase him out”. Bottom line is that there is a price to be paid for a SB ring (check out the Broncos roster) and this is a highly competitive business where money talks,,,and, this isn’t the seventies Why get all in a twist over something that will never happen instead of focusing on the present and winning one game at a time in our quest for the SB?

30. By BigAl on Oct 30, 2014 | Reply

Well stated clssy! I meant to mention that in my quip! above “If we hadn’t paid him someone else would have!” And probably from our division! He is a huge part of both our future & our now! And I also agree part of his game has also been being very physical cause he’s so strong thru & thru…now much of his game that way has been taken away! We need a Jon Abraham clone! And yet the NFL wants scoring!

31. By Cardman on Oct 31, 2014 | Reply

Dynosoar,

I gave you one of the thumbs down, but it didn’t have anything to do with Romo playing as soon as possible. I just thought your statement about our ownership and coaching staff being patient with player injuries was a bit myopic. Sure, there have been players on this team in which the team has been patient, such as Cooper. But there were other players who weren’t fully healed, according to them, and they lost their job because they wouldn’t get on the field when they were given the green light. Ryan Williams is one that comes to mind and in the dark days Todd Heap (under the same ownership).

Don’t get me wrong. I like our team on all levels. But I openly question whether our team acts on some higher moral principles than other teams do. The business of football is rough. There is a lot of pressure for players to play.

I’m curious to how many teams, if any, will not allow their players to numb themselves up to enter a game. I heard Bill Parcells “discouraged” his players from doing such things. But I didn’t hear it being prohibited. Seeing as how good his teams were, he probably didn’t prohibit it. Nevertheless, I guess discouraging players from numbing themselves up is a step in the right direction.

32. By superbowlcards on Oct 31, 2014 | Reply

PP going to play golf after being cleared from concussion? Maybe he should watch some tape of himself and figure out what he is doing different or what he needs to do to play better?? Or maybe the concussion erased his memory of the huge paycheck he is getting to be the #1 CB in the NFL, because he isn’t even playing like the #1 CB on his own team, let alone the whole league. He was already pretty weak in run support, but his work as a shutdown CB and elite PR (his rookie year anyway) caused some to overlook the huge run/tackling weakness, at times I myself fell in with the status quo, never agreed with extension this year, let alone the highest paid cornerback extension, but he has it, and now he needs to fix whatever is causing his poor play, hopefully the concussion erased his short term memory, like the first six games this year!

33. By ryan on Oct 31, 2014 | Reply

BigAl- we havent played 8 games yet.

Kevin S Mesa- “we all think”….sorry- i disagree. and im sure there are others that disagree as well.

clssylssy- “phase him out” ….duh

GO CARDS!
    DESTROY DALLAS!!!

34. By jwoodaz on Oct 31, 2014 | Reply

Clssylssy
    Like the way you see scenarios most of the time, some guys are examples and some are not. I do feel PP is Learning his craft over again and we will see the benefits of this sooner rather than later. Your posts are one of the reasons I started posting, and to support D. Urban of course! Game by game this Team keeps focused on the task at hand, what”s the score at the end of the game. Gotta like that, in a Team, Go Redbirds!

35. By BigAl on Oct 31, 2014 | Reply

OK Ryan, You’re right!
    My mistake, some teams have played 8 games that haven’t yet had they’re bye week…we have…however, 7 sacks in 7 games is still terrible & as much as we blitz! The point was, it puts our secondary on an island in a precarious position!
    Having no pass rush will hurt us vs the really elite QB’s in this league like the way Peyton carved us up! Comparatively Buffalo has 28 sacks in 8 games!