Cards promote RB Williams

Posted by Darren Urban on November 1, 2014 – 10:32 am

With Stepfan Taylor out with a calf injury and Robert Hughes more of a fullback in the way the Cardinals use him, it leaves only Andre Ellington and his you-can-never-be-quite-sure foot injury and Marion Grice as the only other running backs. So it wasn’t really a surprise that the Cards elevated Kerwynn Williams from the practice squad Saturday, releasing defensive tackle Bruce Gaston in the process.

It makes sense to bring up Williams, and you figure he will be active Sunday to give the Cards some leeway against the Cowboys. It wouldn’t be a shock to see Gaston, assuming he clears waivers, to return next week, whether it would be to the practice squad hole left by Williams or back to the 53-man roster. Taylor said his calf issue is week to week, so it’s TBD to see how long Williams lasts on the roster. Bruce Arians has said how much he likes the small (5-8) Williams and how he’s looks since being signed Sept. 18.

Of course, with the amount of carries being given to Ellington, the reserve running backs might not matter that much.

Tags: , , ,

9 Responses to “Cards promote RB Williams”

1. By Andrew on Nov 1, 2014 | Reply

I really like Bauman… I think if we get a large late lead, we should give him a chance to show what he’s got because I know he has talent. But granted he’s on the practice squad and will be inactive for tomorrow…

2. By Andrew on Nov 1, 2014 | Reply

I’m excited to see Grice though, hopefully he doesn’t drop another hand off…

3. By Joseph on Nov 1, 2014 | Reply

Kind of surprised that Gaston was the one cut. Especially after the praise Coach BA had for him when they re-signed him.

He might not clear waivers with the number of DL hurting in the league.

4. By Big Ken on Nov 1, 2014 | Reply

Cracks me up, I’m seeing various sites offering an early mock draft with the Cardinals drafting 31st or 32nd. I think for some national sport writers it’s a bitter pill to swallow.

5. By georgiebird on Nov 1, 2014 | Reply

The moves by BA&SK show a week to week and a day to day effort to make the team as good as possible. This move of Williams in and Gaston out may not pay off but it’s the attention to detail and the obsession of the FO to make the team as good as possible that grabs my eye..
    A fan can’t ask for too much more.

6. By redhawk1960 on Nov 2, 2014 | Reply

But again taking the risk of losing gaston again ? He is the future. He is young , fast and strong. All for a 3rd string running back ? I don’t get it. Too much of a gamble to lose a young strong linemen who can play the end and his nose tackle spot. Im surprised they have not even let him dress and get some experience yet. I got my fingers crossed he makes wavier’s and stays

7. By Duane Spencer on Nov 1, 2014 | Reply

Wishing both Mr Grice and Mr Williams the very best in their stints here in the NFL. Isn’t it nice to know that Steve Keim and crew have given us the depth that it’s not the end of the world when a first or second stringer goes down.

8. By Eazy E on Nov 1, 2014 | Reply

We’re down but not out of RBs!

9. By clssylssy on Nov 1, 2014 | Reply

I really hate losing Taylor as he was beginning to get some visibility and showed promise however, I would much rather we keep our guys out as long as necessary and bring guys up from the ps, which is suppose to be developmental.
    I just read where Tony Romo has two fractures in his back but could possibly still play on Sunday, which given his history with back surguries seems COMPLETELY irresponsible if the NFL sincerely has player safety as a priority! Perhaps someone needs to step in at some point and put their foot down on this owner masquerading as a GM.(Hope Eric Winston is following this)
    While Andre Ellington is an amazing talent, my worry is that he is going to be used up or injured before the end of the season and was glad to see Taylor getting more carries; it seems RBs seem to have a rather short shelf life in the NFL so having Grice and Williams getting some of the work will not only provide our offense with a look as yet unfamiliar but also lower the risk on Ellington.
    LOVE the promo video of the Cards/Dallas games but was a bit disappointed that it didn’t contain the part where Jason Garrett iced his kicker and the ball was run back by Monty Beisel for a thrilling OT win by the Cards! Looking forward to seeing what these new guys can do and hoping Taylor will be well for the battles still to come! GO CARDS!