Keim: Fitz looking beastly

Posted by Darren Urban on November 3, 2014 – 8:21 am

Larry Fitzgerald caught the pass just about at the first down marker up the middle on third-and-5 against the Cowboys, stiff-armed safety Barry Church to the ground and then crashed into safety J.J. Wilcox. Wilcox went down in a heap. Fitz, who was tackled moments later for a 20-yard gain, jumped up and swung his arms at his bench, looking to send his emotion toward his teammates.

“That safety came up and almost looked like (Larry) put him to sleep,” General Manager Steve Keim said Monday during his weekly appearance on the “Doug and Wolf” show on Arizona Sports 98.7. After the Cardinals beat the Cowboys, Keim found Fitz on the bus as the Cards were leaving AT&T Stadium to tell him so. ” ‘Larry, you’re starting to look like a tight end out there,’ ” Keim said with a chuckle. “I don’t think he took that as a compliment.”

Fitz also had another solid game, with five catches for 70 yards. Maybe he and Carson Palmer are finally finding a groove.

Other Keim notes:

— Nose tackle Dan Williams played his best game as a pro (which was easy to see.)

— He called out the defensive line as a whole and Patrick Peterson, Tyrann Mathieu and Antonio Cromartie in particular for having good games, but added that the whole defense impressed.

— He liked Palmer’s ability to have a short memory, allowing the QB to come back strong after his early interception.

— Overall, Keim admitted there was some frustration with the offense’s “self-inflicted issues.” The drops were one thing. Key penalties. And he said the interior of the offensive line struggled with the stunts and twists of the Cowboys’ defensive line.

Larry Fitzgerald

Tags: , ,

66 Responses to “Keim: Fitz looking beastly”

1. By ILuvBugel on Nov 3, 2014 | Reply

I think you forgot to put the players name where you put DAL42.

2. By Darren Urban on Nov 3, 2014 | Reply

ILUV —

RE: DAL42

You are correct. Thanks.

3. By D on Nov 3, 2014 | Reply

Overall, good game for AZ. We know the Rams have a very good DL, but my only complaint when watching this game was the left G. Is it time for Cooper to start?

4. By ryan on Nov 3, 2014 | Reply

WAY TO GO CARDINALS! What an exciting time to be a cardinals fan! I thought a made a mistake by inviting my neighbors (Dallas fans) over for a little party and watch the game, but the CARDIAC CARDS do it again! Love seeing the intensity from Fitz. Great game PP! Tyrann gets a pick! Williams with a great game as well. Palmer throws a pick 6 right of the bat then goes back out and wins the game! Lets win the next 2 at the nest and keep on trucking!!

slaughter ST. Louis
    7-1

5. By Patrick Hoog aka Don't Take Losses on Nov 3, 2014 | Reply

Carson Palmer aid in an interview that its hard to get better as the season goes along, that most teams don’t, but its a Card’s goal. Seems its two steps forward, one step back, aspect by aspect, yet slow march forward. Well done Cards, well done.

6. By John The Draft Guy on Nov 3, 2014 | Reply

Fitz is a beast. Keep feeding him the ball. Good things happen when you feed Larry the ball. Getting the fitz contract figured out in the offseason should be our #2 priority.

Agree with Keim, Dan Williams went off this game. Best game I have seen him play. He lined up against 1st rounder Fredrick and 1st rounder Martin (who I think is a pro bowler this year) and he not only held his own, he made plays.

Cromartie: Pay the man !! #3 off season priority.

Palmer: This guy is never phased. He throws a pick 6 on the road and shows no emotion. He just goes back out there and throws 3 TDs. This guy is a machine. Pay the Man !! Priority #1 , get Palmer signed for next year. (his contract has him being released in 2015)

Peterson: He played a great game, except the TD he gave up. It was almost like he wasn’t trying on that play. He is a really good player who had a great game, but leaves with a no effort play as the last impression. Weird.

What a catch by Ted Ginn along the sideline. Huge play.

Ellington had 25 touches and 133 total yards. I guess the offense does go through Andre.

Does anyone think this team right now with Palmer would lose to Denver? I don’t. The Broncos are lucky they faced Logan Thomas in the 4th quarter or we would be 8-0.

Yes, 5 drops. But did you notice Carlson had one of those drops and then caught a TD a couple of plays later.
    John Brown clearly looked at the LB ready to hit him on his drop. Johnny, this offense is asking you to go over the middle, got to be fearless.

7. By superbowlcards on Nov 4, 2014 | Reply

John draft Guy
    Is the rookie kicker free to walk after this season, or did we lock himup for a few seasons?? I want to say we signed him for 3 years, but I can’t be sure.
    If not, I would say getting him a contract extension has to be high on this list. I would also argue, Darnell Dockett resigning also very high, Cardinals should have leverage with Dockett, for at least a 1 year contract to prove injury is good to go, don’t you think?

8. By John The Draft Guy on Nov 3, 2014 | Reply

I saw the Frostee Rucker comment that he and Dockett were upset after the cowboys scored late, saying that TD could be the difference between being the #1 defense and #3 defense.

I love that this defense is taking pride in wanting to be the top defense. You could see how intense and fired up they were to stop the leagues top RB.
    They showed pride in the fact that, although everyone was talking about Dallas’ great Oline, the cardinals defensive line is pretty good too.

They have bought totally into Todd Bowles.

9. By D on Nov 3, 2014 | Reply

This game is a good example of Why Palmer, Cromartie, Kelly and D. Williams should be resigned.

This offense still can get better, Smokey and Floyd wasn’t big factors and they had too many drops.

10. By clssylssy on Nov 3, 2014 | Reply

One of the announcers commented that BA said Larry was in the best shape of his career. There is no question that he is one of the most respected and beloved players in the league, as fans no matter where their team alliegance lies, are always hungry to see him play because of his infectious spirit and respect for his fellow players and the game. We all have seen him shut down Richard Sherman and Darrell Revis, make unbelievable catches, and while I get frustrated because he doesn’t get the plays he did in previous years, I think he has become a more complete player and has expanded his skill set.
    Yesterday after a slow start, the entire team seemed to take on an air of resolve that hasn’t always been there, and we’re going to need, as we face some defenses almost as good as ours. I love that BA is constantly adding new faces to the mix and can only hope that we can clean up things on offense as we move into the brutal upcoming stretch loaded with games within our division.
    So glad to see Tyrann Mathieu back zipping around and reeking havoc (with a brace even) and have to wonder if all the pieces of our secondary are now coming together with renewed intensity because of the energy he brings. This was the best total team win so far that made for the most entertaining game this week.Let’s not let off the accelerator at home…the Rams are seriously underrated but we are better!

11. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Nov 3, 2014 | Reply

Very well observed, Darren. This is exactly what I’ve been seeing also…

“But it was. Keim loves Fitzgerald’s emotion, and his physical play. The GM complimented all the receivers and their ability to block — also crediting receivers coach Darryl Drake — but the continued reinvention of Fitzgerald is hard not to notice. Fitz always has had his moments of emotion over the years, but it used to come just after big plays. Now, it seems, Fitz goes looking for contact if he’s in close quarters, dishes out some punishment, and then gets visibly psyched for all to see. Keim said he can tell it affecting the Cards, and you can tell.”

12. By azqfan on Nov 3, 2014 | Reply

clssylssy… I have no idea what you are talking about” We have all seen him shut down Richard Sherman and Darrell Revis”, please tell me how a receiver shuts down a corner???

13. By krehbieo14 on Nov 3, 2014 | Reply

Any Super Bowl run starts and ends with the leadership of Carson Palmer and Larry Fitzgerald. The Cards have room to improve and will continue to progress.

14. By superbowlcards on Nov 4, 2014 | Reply

Now that Dockett is out for the year, we need someone to step up and provide that same leadership on the defensive side of the ball as well. I say Larry Foote and/or Calais Campbell are natural, both have been to Superbowl, Foote has blunt to prove it!! LF has been a godsend and has taken over as a defensive leader already!

15. By Scott H on Nov 3, 2014 | Reply

Carson and Larry “finally” starting to find a groove can only be a good thing! That said, I love the way the ball is being spread around. Loved seeing the OTHER J Brown get his first TD yesterday AND it has been good to see Carlson get some end-zone looks the last two weeks. If you had told me that Palmer was gonna throw 3 TD’s in a game and none of them were to Fitz or Floyd, I would have found it hard to believe. Heck, seeing a Cardinals TIGHT END scoring a TD IS hard to believe because it is so rarely seen.

But yesterday made me happy because that was the most balance I’ve seen a Cards offense have in a LONG time. Fitz is getting more involved BUT that is happening WITHOUT them needing to “force” him the ball AND the ball is going everywhere / to everyone else as well. Except Michael Floyd, that is….I don’t like that he is suddenly the forgotten man around here.

Carson Palmer must feel like he has landed in heaven right about now. Things ended bad for him in Cincy…then, he gets banished to prugatory in Oakland where he was never going to be part of a winner….then he comes here, where he probably has the best offense he has ever played in, targets galore, and the best record in the NFL – thanks, in large part, to him. Seems like another great pairing of the Arizona Cardinals and another veteran QB who many just assumed had nothing left. And I, for one, am happy to be along for what could very well be another magical ride.

Time to shock the world again?

16. By Kevin S Mesa on Nov 3, 2014 | Reply

Winning sure beats losing, ‘cuz when you lose, as a fan, you begin picking apart all the mistakes… the pick 6, the drops, a key penalty… and start thinking “if only so-and-so hadn’t done this in the 2nd quarter, we could have kept the drive alive and probably scored.” When you win, it’s just, yeah, there were some mistakes, but we won… you recognize the team can improve, but nothing to dwell on.

Despite the ultimate double digit win (and 28-10 lead we enjoyed late), this game was 14-10 with less than 10 minutes to go and Dallas on our 34 with a 4th and less than 1. If they had made the earlier chip shot FG that Bethel blocked, they would’ve been kicking there I think. (A fairly routine 51 yarder for Bailey.)

It’s kinda like the reverse of the Denver game, where we were still only 4 points down going into the 4th quarter despite playing our backup QB (or QB’s, as it turned out in that game), just like Dallas. They had hung around for 3 quarters despite not getting much from their offense, and it was a game they still had a chance to steal, just as we still had a chance to steal the Denver game. But then the last quarter everything went wrong for them, just as it did for us in Denver.

To me the best part of this win is that we’re putting a little distance out there between us and the other teams, which helps a lot if we have an unexpected loss or two — say, losing one of the Rams games, or the away game against Atlanta (Matt Ryan up until recently was almost unbeatable at home). #1 goal is to make the playoffs, and we still play in a tough conference where last year even if we had finished 11-5 it wouldn’t have been good enough. We still have two tough games against Seattle, SF away, a 6-2 Lions team and a good Chiefs team coming to town, plus (as demonstrated yesterday) St Louis is no slouch. Can’t afford to count our chickens too soon, especially when we’re not dominating anyone. I think every team on our schedule is capable of beating us, so we need to stay focused.

17. By Dynosoar on Nov 3, 2014 | Reply

Chuck 1,

Ha! Palmer did engineer 35 points this game. Too bad 7 of them were for Dallas. My Crystal Ball is a little off. T. Stone, how are we going to do against those Rams?

I just love saying it…

4-0, we swept the NFC East! We made history. Next up, 6-0 against the NFC West, which is continued Sunday against the Rams. Then we can go on to home field advantage leading to the first home field advantage and home win in the Super Bowl.

18. By Dynosoar on Nov 3, 2014 | Reply

We’re the oldest team in the NFL and championship games used to be held at the field of the team with the best record, only fitting that the oldest team shows the way to the past and does this again.

19. By JohnnyBluenose on Nov 3, 2014 | Reply

No doubt about it…a great win. I like BA not giving everyone a day off. Still a lot of work to do and lots of improvement needed. Saint Louis reminds me of us…never giving up and flying under the radar. I expect them to give us a tough game and we need to win to keep some separation between us and the rest of the NFC West. I wonder if the Niners wish they still had Alex Smith. Keep going Cardinals.

20. By John The Draft Guy on Nov 3, 2014 | Reply

Hey Darren,

Over the last few weeks, Keim has declared Cooper ready, expects him to get reps, and pointed out (which is obvious) that the interior of the oline has some issues.

On the flip side, you have Arians saying Cooper hasn’t earned anything and he wants to keep continuity.

Is there a slight rift over Cooper? Seriously, Cooper is the #7 pick and making 14.5 million guaranteed, so you know the front office wants him to play.

Arians obviously isn’t impressed with the guy.

So is there a slight rift going.

21. By Darren Urban on Nov 3, 2014 | Reply

JTDG —

RE: Cooper

Not that anyone is saying. But I can see where you would deduce such a thing.

22. By clssylssy on Nov 3, 2014 | Reply

@Azqfan:
    Fitz often blocks as he did in Seattle; when a reporter asked Richard Sherman how it felt too be put down by Larry Fitzgerald he replied that he had all the respect for Larry because he was such a class act. Pete Carroll also had complimentary words to the effect that all players could learn from Fitz. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjSKuVD8mJ0

23. By Dr. G. on Nov 3, 2014 | Reply

An ode to the “Dumpster” as the “Grunter” Wolf likes to call him. (not cool)

At a large memorabilia and card show in a church gymnasium back in 2010, a young man came up to my table and began talking about some of the collector cards. I looked at him eye-to-eye and noticed that he was two of me…and FIT..! I told him that if he had not played football, he was missing his calling…

He looked at me and said with a huge grin, “The Cardinals just drafted me the other day, some day I might have my own card.!!

He wasn’t out tokin’ up or getting drunk to celebrate…he was at a Card Show…!

He bought a couple things, and as he waited for a $5- raffle we talked a bit more. I encouraged him to go for the gusto… He mentioned Warner and wished he was still here among others… Such a young gentleman and now a force in our line… I wished him well…

Good day Daniel Ellis Williams… You are a role model and no one knows except for those close to you….and to our LOYAL Cards’ fans…. Be well…

24. By clssylssy on Nov 3, 2014 | Reply

Yikes! Sorry, only meant to post a couple links for Azqfan!!!

25. By blaxabbath on Nov 3, 2014 | Reply

No sweat missing DAL42. When you get run over like that, you’re probably relieved your name isn’t coming up on game articles.

26. By Dynosoar on Nov 3, 2014 | Reply

Dr. G.

I grew up in Knoxville and love my Volunteers where Dan Williams played. He was known throughout his playing days at Tennessee as “Big Dan Williams.” and he played that way.

I agree, hate the nickname I see here from time to time. Appreciated you sharing this experience, it’s cool how just a simple comment can open up a memorable conversation. It’s also nice to see this side of Big Dan.

My best friend from Tennessee says he was a hero in Knoxville on and off the field.

27. By Dynosoar on Nov 3, 2014 | Reply

I enjoy listening to Wolfy. I grew up on the WWF and used to listen to Jessie “the Body” Ventura every week it seemed and Wolfy reminds me of him. I love that he’s one of our commentators. In my mind, he’s better than Harry Caray from back in the day for the Chicago Cubs.

28. By Scott H on Nov 3, 2014 | Reply

Kevin –

I share some of those general thoughts. Most notably, our next opponent. The Rams have already beaten Seattle and San Fran and they won both games by just going all out and flat-out wanting the game more than the other team did. They are next up for us and I think the LAST thing anyone should be doing is letting down their guard. THAT is what scares me – because I almost can’t help feeling that way MYSELF! Over the last 2 weeks, I was SO focused on the games against Philly and Dallas because they were teams I knew COULD beat the Cardinals. Well….the Cowboys with a healthy Romo, that is. The issue of him NOT being healthy or NOT playing at all didn’t even become a possibility until 6 days before that game.

But….you have to wonder, after going up against the two top dogs in the conference over two consecutive weeks, needing to be SO prepared for those games, and winning both…..how do you switch on the same intensity for a lesser team? From a purely human standpoint, that has to be hard. And we do see it EVERY year in the NFL, that this dynamic plays out and a big dog gets bum-rushed by a little dog. And, really, the Rams are NOT a little dog! That is one helluva of a feisty bunch. They seem to be believing in their coach, themselves, and each other. Hmmmm…..sounds like another NFC West team I know of! In other words, the Rams are dangerous.

Then again, it IS a divisional opponent, regardless of who. Just sayin’ that I harbor the same concern ( seems I can’t write a post without using that word! ) that we’ll be flat one of these weeks and get taken by a team that shouldn’t be beating the Cardinals. It happens to the best teams….it CAN happen to us.

That’s my practical side. The side ruled by my Cardinal red heart says it ain’t gonna happen to THIS team, NOT with the way BA and the staff get them prepared and coach them during the game! I’m all in with this team!

Getting back to Sunday, it was SOOOO awesome to see the Cardinals be the team that finally put up the wall that DeMarco Murray couldn’t get around. Friggin’ SWEET! Have to say, that was not a surprise. But it was no less sweet when they did it.

Great to see PP maybe starting to come around and the Honey Badger becoming a force again! With Cro in the mix, no reason they can’t be the best secondary in the league over the second half. Cromartie was SUCH a perfect FA addition.

29. By John The Draft Guy on Nov 3, 2014 | Reply

Scott and Kevin,

Someone asked which team is better the 2008 cards or the 2014 cards?

I don’t know but I can tell you one thing, I don’t see this coaching staff allowing the cards to fall apart like the 2008 cards did in NE and Philly.

I just think this coaching staff will have guys ready. Coupled with the fact that guys like Brown, Bucannon, Stinson, Minter, Jefferson, and several others are still trying to prove to everyone they belong, I just don’t see this team having a let down game. Especially at Home.

30. By TucsonTim on Nov 3, 2014 | Reply

The lack of a pass rush was adequate for Brandon Weeden. Hooray. We beat Brandon Weeden and a mediocre Dallas defense. Who actually thinks it will work against the likes of Drew Brees or Aaron Rodgers? Forget about Brady or Manning, we’re not going to see them in February with this pass rush.

Thanks for nothing Keim. You had a job to do and you didn’t git it done.

31. By Canadian Redbird on Nov 3, 2014 | Reply

Games are won and lost in the trenches. I love the energy that our entire D Line brings play in- play out. Not enough kudos go out to the unsung heroes ie. Rucker, Kelly, Stinson and Williams. Campbell is always a stud even with a gimp leg.

Bring back Conrad Dobler ( former Cardinal O lineman who was was voted the nastiest man in football ) for an O line pep talk vs the agressive Rams D line.

Go Redbirds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

32. By CreditCard on Nov 3, 2014 | Reply

I mentioned back in the summer, that I felt the Rams very well might have the best line talent. If their QB didn’t go down in preseason, the Rams would be in the thick of things.

The Rams are very much like the Cards, they play tough physical ball for 60-minutes. This game will be a war. It is true, each game is getting tougher and tougher.

Kudos to Dan Williams. The man is playing on the O-line side of the line of scrimmage every play .. Wow. Gotta like the combination of Campbell, Williams, Kelly, Rucker, Stinson, and Martin

The Ram D-line is probably one of the best in the league — will be a very tough game.

33. By John The Draft Guy on Nov 3, 2014 | Reply

Canadian Redbird,

Got to ask you a question, and I really don’t mean to pick on you.

Do you think that what happened to Campbell was something that belongs in today’s football?

That is the kind of garbage that Dobler did on a regular basis. I’ve seen people call for Dobler and can’t understand why.

I would rather get a guy like Zac Martin or Kyle Long, who plays clean and does a great job blowing guys up.

34. By Richard S on Nov 3, 2014 | Reply

After week 8, the system versus the picks by Inside the NFL experts: Phil Sims lead with 82/121, the system was in second place with 81, Ed Reed was at 78 and Boomer Esiason had 75 games picked correctly. The system appreciates teams that stomp teams and may very well over rank them as it’s based on predictions versus results, not records and the Cards are known to beat teams, but not totally cream them. Personally I want to see the Cards win the Super Bowl, but putting prejudice in the rankings is not allowed and a bad idea. Week 9 picks were only correct in 8 of the 13 games. System rankings after week 9 on neutral field. Add 3 points to home team for predicted results. This probably isn’t good for London games. 1. NE 100.96 2. Denver 99.98 3. NO 97.31 4. KC 97.29 5. Indy 96.74 6. Seattle 96.61 7. Phil 96.05 8. AZ 95.83 9. San Fran 94.94 10. Mia 94.87 11. Balt 94.05 12. Gbay 93.8 13. Cincy 93.48 14. Pit 93.41 15. Det 92.5 16. Dall 91.5 17. SD 91.22 18. Buff 90.09 19. Carolina 89.5 20. Rams 89.12 21. Atl. 88.78 22. Giants 87.54 23. Minn 87.51 24. Hou 86.73 25. Chi 86.49 26. Clev 86.04 27. Wash 85.1 28 Jets 83.14 29 Tampa 82.39 30 Tenn 81.84 31. Oak 81.27 32 Jax 79.97. What is the basis for these ratings? My system spreadsheet has 6 columns and uses Microsoft Excel. Column A is Rank. Column B is Team Column C is current point rating. Column D is Win margin on neutral field with a formula of =C12-C21 depending on which teams are playing one another (use the row number, not the ranking number). After using the formula in Column D, I need to change back to a regular number (not an equation) , or the system self destructs later on when I manipulate numbers. Column E is either =D12+3 or =D21-3 depending on who is the home team. Column f is Won by (the actual point margin) and Column G the New Rating with a formula like =C22+(F22-E22)/10. I put in the actual margin in column F and transpose the new rating over to rating, delete the win margin on neutral field, and won by, hilite Columns B through G, and then at the top of the spreadsheet tell it to sort Column B through G based on Rating, Column C, from highest to lowest and it gives a new clean sorted table. Then I change Column D & E for next weeks games, It takes about 45 minutes to an hour. This week the Cards are predicted to win by 9.71 points over the Rams and if the numbers don’t change next week, which they will, they should beat Detroit the following week by about 6 points.

35. By clssylssy on Nov 4, 2014 | Reply

I share Scott H’s concerns about the Rams and hope the team will remember that losing to them likely cost us the playoffs last season and it’s time for some payback! Can’t let those sheep come into the nest and trash our house! All kidding aside, the Rams are hugely underestimated and while I’m not a fan of Ron Fisher or Greg William, but Brian Shottenheimer knows football and I would never take these guys for granted in their ability to win…whatever it takes. They are hungry and disrespected and what a plum it would be to come into our house and knock us off our #1 seat and they are already 2-1 in our division! Things always heat up when it’s a divisional game and there will be no room for dropped passes and mental mistakes this week.
    In a lot of ways St. Louis reminds me of the Cards(although they’ve enjoyed more trips to the playoffs) and it’s only been since their “home” has been so tentative and their identity has been up in the air, that they’ve been pushed to the outskirts and faltered. They are a blue collar team with a midwestern mentality that’s happy to scratch out wins any way they can (sounds familiar) and have some of the most loyal and hardcore fans you’ll ever find. You can bet our stands will be full of the blue and gold with many Warner jerseys (not ours either) loud and proud.
    This one has me worried and I hope BA has a special plan for them because as we should know by now, sometimes it comes down to who wants the victory the most. Historically, the Cards have been great at playing up to their competition and their fall has come at the hands of the teams penciled into the W column. Would hate for this to be the week of that harsh elevator ride! Let’s go out there and play like this was a playoff game because in many ways it is, if only for a bye and HFA! GO CARDS! COME OUT FAST, PLAY SMART, FINISH STRONG! Within the Division, currently the Rams are in the lead🙂

36. By John The Draft Guy on Nov 4, 2014 | Reply

superbowl cards,

My priority list in the off season would be;

1) Resign Palmer. Although it seems he is signed for next year, he has to be released in February. Palmer has been such a calming factor on this offense and has shown he could be a super bowl QB.

2) Fitz contract- At 23 million, it has to be redone. What is Fitz’s value? What can the cards afford to spend and get other players signed. Does Larry want to return? Big issue.

3) Cromartie has been solid all year and allows Bowles to blitz the house. Of course the cards spent a fortune on PP, so it will be interesting to see how Cro is handled.

4) Get a pass rusher- Only the falcons are worse with 7 sacks. The cards 8 sacks in 8 games is pitiful. There are 6 players who have 8 or more themselves. Bowles would be so much more effective with a pass rusher.

5) The Dline – Docket is due almost 10 million and would save over 6 million released. The cards need to redo that contract. Or do they? Stinson is only going to get better. Tommy Kelly has done a great job and is a FA, Dan Williams is a FA. Ta’amu is a FA. Who is coming back?

As for Cat Man, he is on a 1 year deal but is a restricted FA. I don’t think the team is worried he will get away.

37. By Scott H on Nov 4, 2014 | Reply

Tuscon Tim –

What the hell, man??? Don’t know what to do for ya, bud. I would tell you to go find a better team if you’re that un-happy here, but….trouble with that is you can’t find a better team than the Cardinals right now!

Wow, man….Wow.

38. By Scott H on Nov 4, 2014 | Reply

JTDG –

Right on, bro. Definitely the best coach / coaching staff I have known during my time on board with this team. And that goes back to Don Coryell.

39. By Dynosoar on Nov 4, 2014 | Reply

“It’s a mighty fine time to be a Cardinals fan! Unless you’re Tuscon Tim, that is….”

Scott H.,

you are correct sir!

Tuscon Tim, I also don’t know how to help you. What team is better than the Cardinals? I guess some will argue we have our equals, but through three and a third quarters our “lack of a pass rush was adequate” for Peyton Manning. If we’d kept Stanton, Campbell and Shaughnesey healthy in that game (and some others) we may just have won that one as well.

Logan Thomas has promise and talent and we’ll see, but he needs reps before being thrown to the wolves and I’m not sure he gets many as a third stringer.

TT, you asked “Who actually thinks it (lack of pass rush) will work against the likes of Drew Brees or Aaron Rodgers?” I do!

TT, what is it You want from this team. It appears to me it’s something more than having the best record in the NFL. Yes we beat a Weeden led Cowboys team, but the key to beating them is to stop their strength which is the run and we would’ve done that regardless of their QB. And we beat teams with our backup, if Dallas is so good why couldn’t they do what our Cardinals did, win with their backup?

So what do you want? If it’s perfection, well we’re almost perfect, we’re at 87.5% and more perfect than anyone else (although, NE has 7 wins as well, which should even out record wise when they get their bye week.)

Go Cardinals, show the Rams and everyone this team is for real (until they doubt us for the next game. Haha.)

8-1 here we come.

40. By Kevin S Mesa on Nov 4, 2014 | Reply

JTDG —

To your point, the coaching staff won’t allow a “letdown” game to happen, and in saying we need to stay focused I wasn’t implying I was concerned about that.

We do have a tough schedule, though, and as I said earlier, we haven’t been blowing anyone out by any means. We have yet to have a game where we’ve led going into the 4th quarter by more than one score (and of course we’ve had several games where we’ve trailed entering the 4th), so arguably every single game we’ve had (including the loss to Denver) is one where the outcome could have been different with one or two lucky (or unlucky) breaks or a questionable call.

For me it’s not about a letdown game — it’s simply about “Any Given Sunday.” We’ve now won more games than anyone other than Dynosoar would have predicted to this point. Things have a way of balancing out. Very few NFL teams make it through a season without being upset once or twice by a lesser team — and in our case I think the odds of that are higher because the “lesser”-type teams remaining on our schedule are not Jacksonville or NYJ or teams like that, but the Rams (twice) and Atlanta — a very good defensive team and a team with a lot of offensive weapons that plays well at home (and that is still not by any means out of their division race, since the division leader is only 4-4). Other than that we have 5 games against teams that figure to be battling for playoff spots. There simply are no easy games left.

The Cards could go anywhere from 3-5 to 6-2 over the next 8 games and I wouldn’t be surprised. Obviously I’m hoping for closer to 6-2. I WOULD be surprised if they did better than 6-2 (and ecstatic) and I would be surprised, barring anything like another Palmer injury, if they did worse than 3-5 (and obviously that would be a disappointment). But given our schedule, just about anything is possible. As much as I dislike Pete Carroll, one thing he said recently that did resonate with me is that he was trying to remind the Seahawks how close they were last year to being 8-8. They needed OT to beat Houston (who finished 2-14) and Tampa Bay (4-12) who led them 21-0, and they had a few other narrow victories. There’s not a big gap in this league between Super Bowl champ and also-ran.

41. By clssylssy on Nov 4, 2014 | Reply

JTDG –
    Getting a little ahead of ourselves are we? Let’s take care of business this season with our eye steadily focused on the prize in February before all the doomsday “what ifs”. We have a good thing going NOW, and the sad reality is that there will be many changes next season as there is every year. We’ve only played one division game so far and this Sunday will be major so I would say we have bigger issues NOW than worrying about next season! LET’S TAKE CARE OF BUSINESS NOW!

42. By Dr. G. on Nov 4, 2014 | Reply

Timothy – – Pretty harsh my man… The team is developing a number of rushers, like Acho. ((Bethel on STs)) When you can stuff the rush like we can, it is imperative to have a really good secondary, which we have. This is why the world has been on PPs case lately. If they can’t run… If they can’t pass… How are they gonna beat ya???

I guarantee the pass defense will improve…((a la)) Tyrann and PP last Sunday. PP is on notice, or he may soon be a SS, and Bethel can take that spot. BA said earlier that he may just be one of the best CBs in light of his speed and quicks. Be a loyal fan, and be well…

43. By John The Draft Guy on Nov 4, 2014 | Reply

Guys,

As you go after Tucson Tim’s comments, he may not be completely wrong.

8 sacks !! That is horrible. Bowles sends the house so much and we still can’t get there.

We make up for it with the best secondary in football. We play man, gamble, send the house and get enough pressure to cause the QB to either make a bad throw or can’t make the right read.

I get TT’s point. What if we faced Kurt Warner and blitzed him ? Do you honestly think Kurt wouldn’t burn us with Fitz, Breaston and Boldin?

I think the lack of a pass rusher could be our weak link. When Keim talks about 3 year plan, I want to hear who he thought was going to rush the passer?

So looking at the teams,

Drew Brees- speed. Stills, Cooks and Colston. Could we match up? I would say yes. But where we have our mismatch is Graham. Can we leave him one on one? So, as you drop safeties back, we don’t outnumber their blockers and would have trouble getting to Brees. If we had an Abraham, we would be fine, but without that pass rusher, that is a tough matchup.

Aaron Rodgers – Jordy Nelson vs PP and Randall Cobb vs Cro. good matchups. But I do not think I would have any fear with the other supporting cast. I think we send the house and handle Rodgers.

Stafford – same could be said here. The lions are winning on defense. This will be a huge test for the cards offense. But our defense vs Stafford, Goldon Tate and Calvin Johnson vs PP and Cro? Wow, epic matchups. I would play a safety over top but run man and send the house. The Bush vs Bucannon matchup could be huge also.

Also, we have seen the niners and the eagles. Both those games were very tough fought games and a play or two could swing the game either way.

I think we will beat the hawks and the cowboys again and again. Our run defense is built to stop seattle.

So the key to getting to the super bowl is home field advantage to beat the saints. It will be another epic battle to knock off the eagles, and the Lions d line is awesome, but if we can give Palmer time, our receivers are better than their DBs.

But wouldn’t life be so much easier with a pass rusher or two?

44. By Scott H on Nov 4, 2014 | Reply

JTDG –

What about Bowles??? What do you figure the chances are HE is still here next year??? Lord knows, the Cardinals can’t keep a good coordinator here for more than 2 seasons. Haley…Horton…Bowles??? Keeping him here is probably as much of a priority – or MORE of one – as any of the issues you specified.

Speaking of which, I did a quick scan of the league and I do not think there will be nearly as many coaching vacancies this off-season as in past years. THAT could be HUGE where Bowles is concerned. Here’s what I’m coming up with –

Jets – Ryan is gone, done deal.
    Falcons – Smith MAY be gone, NOT a done deal.
    Redskins – Gruden probably gets another chance
    Bears – could be an opening if they collapse in 2nd half
    Giants – how long can Coughlin last???
    Titans – Whiz probaly safe ( but barely )
    Raiders – who the F knows? Is anyone EVER safe there???

This PROBABLY adds up to only a few vacancies – as opposed to the 7-8 vacancies there have been in recent years. Might be a good thing for the Cardinals.

And is ANYONE safer than my man BA right now??? He is as safe as it gets!

45. By Scott H on Nov 4, 2014 | Reply

clssylssy –

That would be JEFF Fisher. I DO / have always liked him. Was actually hoping the Cards were going to look his way at one point but they held onto Whiz a year longer than I wanted them to. Seeing how it has all worked out? Fisher is just fine in St Louis! But I do think he is a heck of a coach.

46. By Scott H on Nov 4, 2014 | Reply

JTDG –

RE: Wouldn’t life be easier….

Sure it would. And where are we coming up with these pass rushers at this point? Bowles can’t fix everything with the personnel he has to work with at this point. They are still stopping the run better than just about anyone else in the league right now with players whose names we didn’t even know a few months ago. As has been pointed out recently by Darren, all of this blitzing is as much about disrupting timing and making QB’s move off their spot as it is getting the sacks. And maybe that has been effective enough to get us where we are. You’re looking at the same roster as I am right now – where do you see more sacks coming from??? We lost Abraham, lost Dockett, lost Dansby, lost Washington…and double-digit sack guys tend to not be laying around on the waiver wire a week before the season starts. Some of this is directed at TT more so than JTDG at this point, but is it a failure of Keim’s that he wasn’t able to find a top level pass rusher at the 11th hour? And is it a failure of Bowles’ that he can’t get 10 sacks out of someone who just doesn’t have that in them?

BTW, our secondary – the part of the defense that has NOT been ravaged by injuries – has been very good the last few weeks ( and thank God ) but keep in mind, they were ranked 31st in the league going into the game against Philly. Hardly what I would call the best secondary in football. They have the potential to be the best secondary in football, have started to look that way the last 2 games, and our hope is that they WILL be the best secondary in football moving forward.

But with this personnel, I think we have to be happy with how VERY well they are stopping the run and how they are keeping teams off the scoreboard.

The team in the NFC that REALLY worries me right now is Green Bay. Rodgers is just SOOOOO damn good, he is healthy again, he has the weapons, and he always knows where to go with the ball. But….

….for now, the ONLY team that matters is the Rams.

47. By John The Draft Guy on Nov 4, 2014 | Reply

clssylssy,

Wow, I answered the question posed by super bowl cards. Am I not suppose to answer someones question?

48. By John The Draft Guy on Nov 4, 2014 | Reply

Scott H.

There is no stopping Bowles leaving unfortunately.

If we go deep into the playoffs and even the super bowl, he will get a HC job.

As crazy as it sounds, if Bowles could have a little control over his personel, the raiders wouldn’t be a bad job.

You got a rookie QB who has promise.He has a couple of real good LBs in Kalil Mack and Sio Moore. And of course, they will have a high draft pick.

They are the oldest team in the league and need to be gutted, but he does have some things to work with.

49. By Big Ken on Nov 4, 2014 | Reply

RE: Bowles I think he’s smart enough not to accept a HC position with a team that’s too big of a problem, ie Jets, Raiders.

50. By Kevin S Mesa on Nov 4, 2014 | Reply

JTDG —

Please don’t defend that kind of negativity by another poster. Everyone knows we could use a pass rusher, but really, a guy who comes on here with a “Thanks for nothing Keim” attitude when we are 7-1 under the Keim/Arians regime after going 10-6 following 3 years of misery… it’s hard to have a lot of respect for that kind of eternal pessimism.

51. By Dr. G. on Nov 4, 2014 | Reply

BIRD GANG…I like the idea of keeping it real for 2014… TT’s point regarding a pass rusher will always be relevant, but we can get things done with minor improvement in a few areas. Every team can’t have everything… Next, someone will suggest a trade to a pass rusher for Fitz.

2015 will come soon enough; lots of things will happen that Keim cannot predict, nor anyone else.

JTDG… It’s the NFL… Yep, one play can win or lose a game..obvious… That is why the Cards are winning…turnover ratio…! “MISTRAKES” will kill..! Later

52. By Dr. G. on Nov 4, 2014 | Reply

All over the news – – BA is the coach of the year as of right now. Keim and Bowles will be named for their spots as well…

It’s hard to win a damn game in the NFL…!!! These guys are a bit lucky, yes, but you make your own luck by hard work and planning.

I have said since the schedule came out that the last 5 Div games loom BIG. I was not able to predict though that every other NFC WEST team would be sweating bullets though..!! We drive the bus now; and I cannot see the wheels coming off, can you? Swagger comes with confidence to carry on… be well

53. By Jerry on Nov 4, 2014 | Reply

Fitz is in playoff mode. Since he is proving himself I’d like to see him on the outside more. Keep it up Fitz. FFF. In Fitz we trust

54. By John The Draft Guy on Nov 4, 2014 | Reply

Scott H,

I have beaten this issue into the ground but I have to address your question.

“And where are we coming up with these pass rushers at this point? Bowles can’t fix everything with the personnel he has to work with at this point.”

No one is blaming Bowles for the lack of pass rush nor are we saying he should develop someone out of thin air.

This was what Tucson Tim was upset about, as am I. Why are there no pass rushers?

Keim’s job is to put together the team. Forget all the interior guys you mentioned who got injured. He had one guy proven he could rush the passer on the outside, the 36 yr old Abraham. I find it a joke to think the 36 yr old’s injury is a surprise.

He had an entire off season and draft to find someone. Then he had the trading deadline, and didn’t make a deal.

When you look at this team, do you know how much better this team would be if the had a legit OLB?

So, what could they have done? Demarcus Ware and Julius Peppers are a couple names. Jasin Babin, Shawn Phillips and Willie Young were available.

Other options were drafting a guy- Demarcus Law, Trent Murphy, Dee Law, and Jerimiah Attaocho. Or maybe you trade up and get a guy like anthony Barr.

At the trade deadline, Keim did nothing. Ayers was available and has two sacks in two weeks with the Pats.

So no, it has nothing to do with the coaching staff. The problem was Keim had faith in a 36 yr old pass rusher and hoped Acho and Okafer could get to the next level.

Now, as I look at this team on the verge of being a really good team, I think it is a shame Keim missed on this issue. I hope next year he doesn’t miss again.

55. By Scott H on Nov 4, 2014 | Reply

Tuscon Tim –

Sorry, I just have to come back to you again. Because you focus on how we got away with having no pass rush against a back-up QB in the game against the Cowboys….but you fail to note that we held a running back who had rushed for over 100 yds in EVERY GAME this year under that mark during the same game??? And you don’t think THAT mattered???

Meanwhile, the team is having their best start since the late 1960’s and you’re saying thanks for nothing to the GM that put this team together?

Needless to say, I find your evaluation process rather interesting….

Just out of curiosity….would you have preferred that we sacked Weeden 4 or 5 times but LOST the game? I’m sure we probably have had some of those games during any of the many 6-10 or 5-11 seasons we’ve had over the years. Ya know what? I prefer winning the GAME, not the stat sheet.

The Eagles beat us on the stat sheet. We beat them on the scoreboard. Guess who got the notch in the win column?

C’mon, man…

56. By clssylssy on Nov 4, 2014 | Reply

Scott H & JTDG…
    Thanks for the correction, I misspoke…I meant JEFF Fisher…(I usually refer to him as just Fisher but nonetheless…). As for the whole question of whether Bowles would still be here, I completely agree with you and left that as unsaid, hate to think about going there when we are on a roll…but, recently NFL.com did an article along the same lines, and Bowles would be a BIG priority. It has always been the practice to let a Coordinator out of any contract if they were offered a Head Coach position (and Bowles is certainly on everyone’s mind especially after the Dallas game.)
    JTDG…sorry dude, don’t know what you are referring to but apparently I stepped on your toes which was not intentional.

57. By John The Draft Guy on Nov 4, 2014 | Reply

Dr G,

Fitz trade;

Why not, on Darrens talk , someone suggested Fitz for Adrian Peterson. Crazy.

Kevin S Mesa;

Maybe you are right.

58. By Scott H on Nov 4, 2014 | Reply

JTDG –

Name all the guys they “could ” have had you want. Did you contact those teams and / or their agents to actually verify that they WERE, in fact, available???

Yes, these debates could go on endlessly. Because there are perfectly valid points to be made on either side.

As of the draft, the team was planning on Abraham AND Dockett being available, weren’t they? Right or wrong, foolish or not, they were planning on those guys being here. Listen, you have the benefit of the 20/20 hindsight they did not have at that time. That’s too easy.

Yes, older players are always a risk. OK. You think the Ravens are happy with 35 year-old Steve Smith these days? As with most things, it can go both ways. Abraham was a beast last year at 35-36. That’s not supposed to happen….but it did.

And I, too, have spoken to the concerns I had throughout the summer about Abraham’s strange and un-explained absence. So I have not totally given them a pass on that.

You speak as if you KNOW that Keim either didn’t try to make a trade OR didn’t try hard enough. Well, were you there in their administrative offices observing this??? How do you know efforts weren’t made? AND how do you know what other teams may have wanted in return for a pass rusher? Hey, I don’t know, either. But I’m not criticizing the GM based on what I DON’T really know.

You’ve criticized me in the recent past for not having facts. Well, in regard to what efforts were or were not made, who was or was not available, what may or may not have been asked for in return from the Cardinals….where are your facts? Do you KNOW for fact that the Packers were looking to deal Julius Peppers, who is only leading that team with 4 sacks right now?

If we’re over here feeling so frustrated about our inability to get pressure on the QB, then why are we expecting other teams to be willing to fork over their best pass rushers???

I will say this – and I’m speculating every bit as much as you are – I would NOT fault the GM for NOT giving up too much for an aging pass rusher.

You say that at the trade deadline, Keim did nothing. Well….I suppose he did nothing in that no trades were made. But neither you or I KNOW what efforts were or were not made. And maybe “nothing” is better sometimes than the wrong move.

The team is 7-1 after 8 games. Something about the way Keim is doing things seems to tell me he knows what he is doing. If no trades were made, then maybe no trades that would have been sensible for the Cardinals were there to BE made.

59. By John The Draft Guy on Nov 5, 2014 | Reply

Scott H,

Yes, I know for a fact all these players were available. They were Free agents. No trade needed.

As for the draft, 4 pass rushers were available when we were drafting in round one.

As for trade, it took a 6th and 7th rounder for Ayers, who is playing great for the Pats who traded for him 2 weeks ago, 2 sacks, including sacking Peyton.

As for Dockett, First, he is not an OLB. Second, the fact is, they did draft Stinson and Martin for life after Dockett.

Keim just didn’t address life after Abraham and now it shows.

You can trace it all back to the first mistake Keim did. In 2013, with the 7th pick, he took Cooper and did not address the Strong Safety position. (Vaccaro)
    I truly believe we lost at least 2 games last year because our strong safety could not cover TEs. Those 2 loses cost us the playoffs.

Flash to 2014, Keim wasn’t going to make the same mistake and used the first pick on a strong safety. But now the 2014 bunch lacks an OLB who can get to the QB

IMO, (obviously I can’t prove it) Had he not taken cooper, and grabbed Vaccaro, we would have been in the playoffs in 2013 and in round one of this year, he could have taken a guy like D Law, who will develop into a good pass rusher. Instead, he is a year behind because of the failed pick of Cooper.

Finally, I am not an all or nothing guy. Keim has done great things and as pointed out to me, you are allowed to make mistakes. We are 7-1 and that is because Keim landed Palmer and hired Arians. We would not be 7-1 without Keim. I am just saying in this area, he made a mistake.

60. By Scott H on Nov 5, 2014 | Reply

JTDG –

Wow, quite a volley we have going here…Yes, perhaps all of those players were available simply because they were / are free agents. I knew that. “Available” obviously has different meanings here. So, my question was, whether or not they were “available” per your definition ( they were free agents ), were they REALLY “available” according to mine ( were teams actually listening to offers for them ). Technically, JJ Watt is available via a trade as well, isn’t he? I mean, unless he has a no-trade clause in his contract ( and, no, I do not know if he does or doesn’t ). Does that mean the Texans are taking offers for him?

Look, maybe Keim just can’t win here. It sounds to me like regardless of what need he addresses, you feel he should have addressed a different need. If Cooper was healthy and playing at a pro bowl level, would we be lamenting who they didn’t take instead? Probably not. The fact that he didn’t play at all last year due to injury and is having a hard time getting on the field this year makes it REAL easy to look back and say who they SHOULD have taken, doesn’t it? OK. We can all sit back and critique the way things are done or not done. We’re fans! What else are we gonna do? Overall, I would have to say Keim’s done a lot more good than not. And we seem to agree on that general premise.

BUT, after all we’ve said and despite where we may not see eye-to-eye, I greatly appreciate the dialogue. I think that’s all I have on this one.

It’s Wed, bud. Time to start getting into game mode.

61. By Eazy E on Nov 6, 2014 | Reply

But he’s done right??? #What Idiots Say

62. By JohnnyBluenose on Nov 6, 2014 | Reply

Dr.G….nice story about Dan Williams. Don’t know why someone would give you a thumbs down.

63. By Dr. G. on Nov 6, 2014 | Reply

ScottH – – JTDG – – You debate your points well. I’m beginning to see some humor in the exchanges. How about I toss a little 20-20 humor ((not so humorous, perhaps)) in here twixt you both.

A. In Darren’s on-line chat, someone wanted Adrian Peterson for Fitz. We could have had him, but we loved Levi much, much more.!

B. Today if Texas went to JJ Watt and asked if he would void the no-trade clause in his contract to go the Cardinals, he would have his bags packed in 7 nano-seconds.!

Have a happy!

64. By Dr. G. on Nov 6, 2014 | Reply

Johnny B – – Thx… D-WILL ((Dan’s new nickname)) is a good guy. As for the thumb downer, it is indeed curious…must be my writing style…Be well…

65. By John The Draft Guy on Nov 6, 2014 | Reply

Scott H,

Sorry, been out for a bit.

To answer questions,

First, I said cooper was always a mistake even if he was a pro bowl player. I said this before the draft and still feel this way. You can find guards later in the draft. Why? Because in a draft, you have college guards, but you also have Tackles who convert to guard. You look at every draft and you will find multiple guards who are starters.

Vaccaro was a playmaker, who in college, covered Tavon Austin in the slot one on one. So I knew he could stay with TEs and he hit like a LB. He was the top pick at #7 in my opinion and filled a need.

Second, As for players being available. I think you are missing this. A FA doesn’t belong to any team. They are available because they have no contract and are not on a team. Therefore, anyone can sign them. That was the case for those players I mentioned.

Now your example of JJ Watt is a player under contract.They have a contract and belong to that team.

To get Watt, it would require the Texans to want to trade him and then you giving up something to get him. To get a FA, like Demarcus Ware was, you have to convince them to come to your team and pay them an amount that they will agree with.

So for Keim to get the pass rushers I listed, he just had to convince them to come to AZ and pay them an amount they wanted to sign.
    No trade, No teams wanting to let them go. Just sign them.

2. Nov 5, 2014: Cardinals Blogs | Palmer the best on third downs