Friday before the Rams, Palmer extension edition

Posted by Darren Urban on November 7, 2014 – 4:48 pm

And just when it felt like this week was going to be one of the least newsy in a long time, the Cardinals cap it off by signing quarterback Carson Palmer to a three-year extension – a move that isn’t unexpected, but one that is crucial for the team going forward.

Let’s face it, Palmer has provided the stability this team has needed at the position for a long time. He’s playing some of the best football of his career. Intelligent football. He has also become a rock-solid leader inside that locker room. That cannot be dismissed. As good as Palmer has been on the field, his leadership has been very, very important.

He’ll turn 35 next month. Reportedly, the deal guarantees $20.5 million up front between bonus and 2015 salary and nothing guaranteed after that. It gives the Cards flexibility going forward, yet makes sure they have a QB.

Another good move in a season of them for GM Steve Keim.

— The big deal Sunday will be keeping Palmer upright against the Rams. Last season when the Rams visited, Palmer hadn’t practiced all week but completed 27 of 34 passes and the Cards got a comfortable win. And that was without the currently upgraded offensive line.

— Everyone is going to want to knock off the Cardinals now. That’s part of the gig when you’ve fashioned the best record in the league.

“Every single week we’ll walk out there with a bulls-eye on our back,” wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald said. “There is a big difference between being a hunter and being hunted. You have to have a much higher sense of urgency and focus to be able to deal with the pressure that comes with it.”

— The Cardinals used four-down linemen last week. Defensive coordinator Todd Bowles hasn’t been shy about mixing and matching his lineups either. But Bowles said that isn’t him getting creative as much as making moves out of necessity.

“Last year we had three-down linebackers at both spots and we had (Darnell) Dockett who was on the field all the time,” Bowles said. “We didn’t have to change as much. We had (John) Abraham as a pass rusher. They were interchangeable because you let them do what they do best. This year with all the injuries, we have a bunch of moving part with different guys who do different things.”

— Bowles said safety Tyrann Mathieu (the one and only(?) Honey Badger) isn’t quite all the way back. Mathieu thinks he is. In fact, Mathieu really, really wants the decision-makers to let him take off his knee brace. I don’t think it’s going to happen — everyone wants to be smart here — but it let’s you know how Mathieu is feeling.

— Center Lyle Sendlein has had a good week. For one, he was not fined for the chop block he was flagged for in Dallas. Usually, that’s interpreted as a penalty that shouldn’t have been called (the Cardinals lost a 12-yard Andre Ellington run because of the flag, killing off a promising drive.) Regardless, the Cards won and no one dipped into his wallet.

— But the better part was the arrival of Sendlein’s first kid, a son that was born early in the week so Sendlein didn’t even have to miss practice.

“My wife is awesome, a great wife and mother,” Sendlein said. “She might let me sleep in the guest room until the season is over.”

She has to be better than that, though, after letting Sendein go with the name Crew Jack Sendlein for his newborn. Crew? Sendlein was asked where that came from.

“Well, I like the movie ‘Rad,’ ” Sendlein said, referring to a BMX racing bike movie from 1986. The main character was named Cru Jones. “It’s spelled a little different.”

— Bruce Arians was asked this week if he had ever this year drawn up any plays for cornerback Patrick Peterson on offense. The answer was no.

“(Expletive),” Arians said, “I can’t even get Jaron Brown in the game.”

True enough. After a big preseason, Brown has been a pick-and-choose guy, although he got his first touchdown catch against the Cowboys. “I wasn’t dropping that one,” Brown said, not after he was wide open for touchdown bombs twice this season, only to have the QB miss him.

Brown, however, only got so many opportunities in college at Clemson with a loaded roster. This isn’t new.

“I’ve been patient before, dealt with the same thing,” Brown said. “We were winning too, which always helps. I know my role. Hopefully it sets me up for down the road.”

At least he knows who is quarterback is going to be.

PalmerBeforeramsUSE

Tags: , , , , , , ,

44 Responses to “Friday before the Rams, Palmer extension edition”

1. By SteveG on Nov 7, 2014 | Reply

Mr. Keim keeps making decisions that make this team better both now and in the future…STONE cold pro!! (Thank you Mike Bidwill for the hire and giving Keim the $$ to do what he needs to do).

Jeronn Brown is a scary receiver based on what little I have seen..and he is our 4th string? Depth baby!!

A “should win” against the Rams..but they were penciled in as “should wins” against seagulls and 49ers too..Good week to see all the drops and penalties go by byes!!

Great season so far with so much hope!!

GO CARDS!

2. By krehbieo14 on Nov 7, 2014 | Reply

Congratulations to the Cardinals and Carson Palmer. Great time to negotiate the extension!

3. By shannon robinson on Nov 7, 2014 | Reply

Thank you, Mr. Keim. There is nothing to compare with having a money quarterback. My guess says Dan Williams is the next extention. What a joy!

4. By NJAzCardsFan on Nov 7, 2014 | Reply

The re-sigining of Palmer is a win all around… for the Cards Players, Fans, Coaches and Mgmt. Palmer as he stated at the begining of the season has a quality team (finally) around him…… He is one of the most under rated QB’s in the NFL….

5. By Scott H on Nov 7, 2014 | Reply

Well, after 10 years in the NFL, it looks like Carson Palmer has finally found a home. I am SOOO happy for him! Happy for us, too! I guess we can worry about our QB of the ( down the road ) future some other time. We now have our QB for the IMMEDIATE future and that is just fine with me.

Darren – so, what becomes of Drew Stanton at this point? Am I correct in understanding that he is under contract for next year? And regardless of the answer to that question, do you see the Cardinals flirting with using him as trade bait with the increased value that he would seem to have after getting a chance to play ( and to play pretty well ) this season? That is what I really do NOT want to see, since I think he is just about the best back-up QB in the NFL right now. But do you agree that he would have value for a team who just has nothing at QB right now?

Looking ahead to Sunday….sounds simple but I think the Cardinals win this one simply by being their highly efficient selves. I kinda hate the expression “stay in your lane” because it is already so over-used but…..really, I think that’s the plan for Sunday. If they bring the same game they have been bringing, it’s hard to see the Rams being able to be better. BUT I do NOT take the Rams lightly. I expect this game to be a fight. It just about always is with them.

If people are familiar with the movie “Miracle” ( the story of the 1980 US Olympic hockey team and coach Herb Brooks )….there is a scene that is so perfect for the 2014 Cardinals. Late in the movie, during the climactic game against the Russians, with the US holding a late lead, you see / hear Kurt Russell yelling from the bench – “Play…Your…Game!” over and over. And it was perfect. Because he knew that was ALL they needed to do to finish that game with the win. And that is exactly what the Cardinals need to do this week, every week. When they have been able to stick with THEIR game plan, they have won the games.

PLAY…YOUR…GAME!!!

6. By Big Ken on Nov 7, 2014 | Reply

Nice! I think we were all waiting, it’s great for him and the team. Above all it wasn’t a long drawn out process. Congrats Carson Palmer.

7. By Nick Pepe on Nov 7, 2014 | Reply

Lost in the Palmer extension, which is huge for this franchise, is the Friday before the Rams.

This Rams team is scary. Nothing like an injured dog that is healing and has nothing to lose. They can play care free and take chances. Which they have shown they are willing to do. They know how to get at the quarterback and be disruptive. We need to come out, set the tone early and not let them hang around. A couple of screens or passes in flat could be huge and slow the rush down.

This is the game that you need to go into the half up by double digits, and stay on the pedal in the second half. I can’t wait for the offense to click on all cylinders. It could get scary good. No better time than now.

And the following is a true story: Wednesday on the way to work listening to WIP sports radio Philadelphia, a “long time listener” and Giants fan called in and all but conceded the NFC to the Eagles, saying no one else has a championship caliber defense. This prompted the hosts to go bonkers- they then discussed what teams could possibly challenge the Eagles for the NFC crown…. they mentioned the 49ers, Seahawks, Lions. Didn’t even think of the Cards. Perfect.

Lets settle this week early !

Nick Pepe
    Lifetime Member ’70-’71
    Thank you Veterans !!!!

8. By Rodgerscromartie17 on Nov 7, 2014 | Reply

Sooooo, is this bad news for Fitzgerald’s future with the team starting this next season

9. By georgiebird on Nov 7, 2014 | Reply

Like the signing but thought that SK should have waited until a playoff spot was clinched before finalizing the contract.
    Lately, we have been citing the great mid 70s seasons when the Cards had their best winning stretch. Back then Jim Hart was the QB. Hart was a great down field passer (to Mel Gray) but Hart was very immobile. Late in the season and into the playoffs, Hart was blitzed unmercifully by good teams and the results were not good.
    I would like to have seen Palmer win a few more games with the bulls-eye on his back.

10. By CreditCard on Nov 7, 2014 | Reply

Nice piece on Williams.

Williams pushes the line of scrimmage back — which destroys running back angles and makes backs run laterally There are not many athletes with such a low center of gravity that he has, and are agile.

Nice move in locking up Palmer. Well deserved, for both parties, Palmer and the Cardinals.

Kiem has a football and business mind (good combo for a person in his position).

11. By red bird of death! on Nov 7, 2014 | Reply

Do not sleep on the Rams folks, I’m so stoked for this team, who would have seen this kind of start coming out. As a Card fan it’s almost surreal having a season like this so far. Smash them Rams up no mercy! GO CARDS!

12. By Kevin S Mesa on Nov 7, 2014 | Reply

Scott H —

I’m glad we have Stanton, but let’s not kid ourselves. When we say he played “well,” we mean he played well for a backup, well enough for us to still win 2 of 3. But he really only had one good game, vs. SF. Against the Giants and Denver he was under 50% in both games and didn’t reach 200 yards in either. Not turning the ball over is huge, of course, but teams aren’t going to be knocking down our doors next year for a 31 year old Stanton based on those games.

People tend to overestimate the value of their own team’s players on the trading block because they are familiar. Remember, Stanton is a guy the Jets let go to bring in Tim Tebow, at a time when all they had was Sanchez. Not saying a backup can’t surprise … but usually they are backups for a reason, and sometimes when they go out and play well in a game or two, everyone forgets that. See Matt Flynn — has one good game at the end of the year in 2012, everyone is like “whoa, he’s good,” he signs a pretty decent contract with Seattle, and then gets supplanted in training camp by Wilson and ends up next year with the Raiders and can’t even beat out their guys.

13. By cards62 on Nov 7, 2014 | Reply

Georgiebird I get what you are saying but I think you forget what we had at QB after Warner after Lomax and after Hart. Great QBs do not grow on trees and especially in Arizona. I think Warner was also a little upset with the way we handled his last contract. If I remember correctly he even visited another team I believe the 49ers. I have always wondered how much of an impact the way we handled Warner during that last contract figured into his decision to go ahead and retire a year early. I know the Saints beat him up good that game and our line was very poor which also played a part, but I think the contract negotiations also played a part. I applaud our front office for getting this done and next for me I hope is a Cromartie extension this week or next week. Palmer had to get done first but we have other pieces front office need to resolve asap including Fitz and DD of course. Palmer has always thrown some dumb passes but main he has a laser for an arm. Did you see some of those small windows he put the ball in against Dallas? His numbers would be even greater if our WRs and TEs would hold onto the ball. Talk also was of leadership which I think he is doing great. You guys remember the play against Dallas on 3rd down when Palmer had to make a nice escape in the pocket and he hit Floyd for a first down. John Brown comes back to the huddle and Carson gives him a little love smack on the helmet and a few words which I think translated to rookie you messed up that route. but he got his point across in a great way. I am so happy that we will have him for another few years so that I do not have to worry about another Lienart, or D. Anderson – remember him boys and girls, Kevin Kolb, John Red Skelton, and I believe there were two others I can not remember now so

Go Cards and go front office keep up the fine work. 7-1 what a great ride.

14. By jwoodaz on Nov 7, 2014 | Reply

Max Hall !! Congrats Mr. Palmer play on sir. Michael Bidwell is proving his will for dare I say Dynasty, continued success for Bruce Arians Run here in Az. The list continues on, as many of the players should stay here for at least another three years. Steve Kiem is getting closer to the roster he wants and a Salary cap that works. Its a shame the cap couldn’t be about $10 -15 mil. more. Todd Bowles please stay three more years. PLEASE!! Lets get this championship, its easier for us than any other team in the league. Looking at it that way you realize how possible it is. Keep it up boys one game at a time. St. Louis you are about to meet Marion Grice, yes I said it, and that’s on top of Andre Ellington. Oh yeah, “We have a Hulk”…Get em Defense! Prove it again…….Man I this team is rolling..

15. By Dynosoar on Nov 7, 2014 | Reply

red bird of death!

“…who would have seen this kind of start coming out.”

I kind of like being like our Cardinals and flying under the radar and You said it best “I’m so stoked for this team.”

All the way to home field in February. Let’s sweep the West like we did the East, I wonder if that is what the pundits mean with “I need to see more.”

Let’s go Undefeated against all NFC challengers with just one loss to the AFC. 19-1! (T. Stone, how’s my crystal ball compare to yours?)

We have a birthday to celebrate the 1st week of February, he needs a Lombardi for his team. (Was that you Nick? or someone else.) We also need a good homecomming game for our br in nc. (I’ve always thought br meant brother. He hasn’t told me different.)

Lifetime Member ’77

16. By Marlin on Nov 8, 2014 | Reply

Great move signing Palmer….and the way the deal works……..

17. By NickPepe on Nov 8, 2014 | Reply

Let’s be clear here, every fan deserves a run like this. Fans of old and new. Appreciate what we are building here. It is unique that’s for sure. But it’s not a fluke. We have an ownership now that’s committed to winning. A GM that has a sound plan and an eye for talent. One of the best coaching staffs in the league. And a SOLID and growing fan base. It is so cool to see and hear the #BirdGang bringing down the house during home games and showing a good contingency on the road as well.

It is exciting as hell. And it is whole new feeling. I no longer wonder if we can win any given Sunday. I know we can. And that is a pretty cool feeling.

If any #BirdGang fan is ever in the Delaware Valley, stop by Back Creek Golf Club in Middletown, DE. I will give you the #BirdGang discount!!

Nick Pepe
    Lifetime Member ’70-’71
    Its chilly this morning – frost delay

18. By jason on Nov 8, 2014 | Reply

I’d like to echo cards62 sentiment by saying that I don’t think the negotiations ultimately figured into Warner’s retirement, but it was an embarrassment. To not be able to get that contract done early and then have KURT WARNER visit the 49er’s to elicit a decent contract from us was shameful. I applaud this front office for making Carson a priority.

I also like that our fan base has begun to support Palmer! This wasn’t the case at this point in the season last year when we were 3-4 coming off of two tough losses to SF and Seattle. What a difference a year makes!

19. By Lloydo82 on Nov 8, 2014 | Reply

Daren with Palmer and Peterson being locked up for the future who do you think is next? I’d think we would like to bring back Dan Williams and Cro but what about Acho?! Also the contracts of Dockett and Fitz will need looking at, think 90 maybe in trouble as the defensive line hasn’t skipped a beat without him

20. By Darren Urban on Nov 8, 2014 | Reply

Lloyd —

RE: Acho

Acho, I’d think, is someone they want. But anyone they extend at this point will have to be on their terms.

21. By Dynosoar on Nov 8, 2014 | Reply

My last comment somewhere above this one was written around midnight and was meant to be humorous… re-reading it I’m not sure it came across that way, sorry, I should post at a more alert time.

My takeaways from the article…

Congratulations to the Sendleins.

Honey Badger wants to be brace free, that’s what I expect from him and probably why he’s got the nickname he does, he’s a fierce competitor and no ones going to hold him back.

BA’s response to a reporters question about PP on offense. “I can’t even get Jaron Brown in the game.” His brain moves faster than an Indy 500 car.

BA stated a couple months ago that it’s easier to get to the top than to stay there. Fitz’s comment says the team gets this concept and is staying grounded and focused, one week at a time (unlike me, haha).

This team is built to win and keep winning, not because they can score more points, which is also necessary, but they’re mentally built to just keep winning and sustain it. They’re built mentally to have put their foot to the accelerator and keep increasing the acceleration without letting up

I expect this team to win tomorrow. We have a better defense than their offense and we have more weapons than the Rams defense. And we have BA and his staff (Bowles, Goodwin, Moore, Stump and many others.)

22. By clssylssy on Nov 8, 2014 | Reply

I like Palmer and getting him an extension is fine with me, but, I HATE the distraction of interrupting our focus with contract issues and all this business side of football while we are are trying to make a playoff run and win HFA! When we start talking contract scenarios invariably the “what if’s'” become shrapnel, impacting other important pieces of our team, with speculation about whether they will be here or not, then, the coaching staff etc. If we are thinking it, you know the players are too, so why stir up these distractions and detract their attention from winning the current game we are preparing for; in this instance a HUGE game with a divisional rival. I’m not so sure that it is an especially smart way to handle business at all!
    I’m sure we all have very strong feelings about the roster issue but I think we need to just focus on the immediate task at hand, i.e., winning this week’s game against the Rams. (They are us a few years back and could do to us what we did to the Seahawks last year) This is crunch time folks, and all energy needs to focus on the prize! We need to make UofP Stadium one of the most difficult to play in the NFL, on a par with Seattle, KC, New Orleans so lets show the world a red sea tsunami as we roll over the Rams on Sunday!
    Dynosar…love your movie references…have you ever considered changing your name to Tony DeNozo, LOL?

23. By Andy Kw on Nov 8, 2014 | Reply

Next step, resign Dan Williams.

24. By Dynosoar on Nov 8, 2014 | Reply

clssylssy,

Remember Mystery Science Theater 3000 and all the subtle (and not so subtle) movie references? Yeah, I’m Joel (or maybe I’m Tom Servo).

As to changing my name to Tony DiNoza (sic), that’d be the fourth classic blunder, (The second being, “never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line.”)

The third classic blunder is “never expect a win against the Cardinals at home when BA is at the helm.

If ya’ll haven’t looked at it, take a look at the “Note Cards” on the front page. I’m really liking this feature.

I believe we have more false start penalties for visiting teams than the Seahawks, the Chiefs, the Saints or any other team in the NFL over the last two seasons. That would be a good addition to the “Note Cards” next week, how many visiting opponents have had false start penalties in our stadium compared to other stadiums since the beginning of the 2013 season (or even earlier). How do we compare?

25. By joe 67 on Nov 8, 2014 | Reply

Thank you Steve Keim and Michael and Mr. Bidwill. SK can’t do it without the ownership willing to spend the money. It all starts at the top as we all know. Lot of people have bashed the ownership in the past, now it is time to give some credit!!

26. By Lloydo82 on Nov 8, 2014 | Reply

Thankyou Daren, long way to go and a lot can happen. No rush to sign them all up. Would like to see us continue lock up our draft picks and build through the draft though

27. By jocards on Nov 8, 2014 | Reply

I’ve been a fan of this team since the days in STL and there has been A LOT of losing. This team really does seem different…..not just the team but the organization. In the past there were so many ill-advised moves made by the front office, so many bad personnel decisions, so many coaches that for whatever reason just couldn’t get it done…..Keim seems to know what he is doing. Michael Bidwill is a far better “owner” than his father was and Bruce Arians to me just exudes confidence in that he knows what he wants to do and he knows how to get it done. I am far too familiar with the history of this organization to get too carried away but I really, really like what I’ve seen lately.

28. By TucsonTim on Nov 8, 2014 | Reply

So nice that Palmer didn’t have to fly on a private jet to San Francisco after a super bowl season in order to get what he AND THE FANS justly deserve.

Still disappointed that Keim couldn’t find a pass rusher off one of the 30 other teams who have better records for sacs. But this is a big plus for the organization. Credit due when earned. Good job.

29. By TucsonTim on Nov 8, 2014 | Reply

And I just can’t help it…was Fitz on the last Cards team to go 7-1? I have some #11 jerseys and none of them have a bull’s eye on the back. Nice sound bite though.

30. By italycardfan on Nov 8, 2014 | Reply

Welcome Crew Jack Sendlein. Any child who arrives on this earth is a blessing from the sky! Congratulations! I’m happy for Lyle and his entire family.

I’m also happy to Carson. I do not think this contract is a distraction for him and for the team. In fact, I think this can give tranquility to any environment, the serenity of knowing that the work created last season will continue, improve and develop all his energy for the next years.
    GO CARDS !!!

31. By Scott H on Nov 8, 2014 | Reply

Kevin –

You obviously didn’t understand my point / question. You can have whatever opinion you want to have of Stanton. I have mine. And we’ve covered this ground before, so…it’s all been said. My point / question is what value does he have for one of several teams in the league right now for whom Stanton would be an up-grade over what they have right now? That is really not for you to say. If there is a team / teams out there who are looking at Stanton as a guy they think can be THEIR guy, it is really not for you to say. His value becomes whatever any team needing a QB very badly says it is.

Do I need to remind you about Kevin Kolb? He had limited opportunities to play in Philly but looked pretty good when he played. The Eagles felt confident with Vick, therefore, Kolb became a chip they would be able to cash in via a trade. All they needed was a team that was desperately in need of a QB…..and they found one. I think you know the rest.

All it takes is one or two teams out there who are dead in the water at QB. And you don’t think Drew Stanton would be of interest to them? OK, maybe you don’t. I beg to differ.

What does his being a 31-year old QB have to do with anything? Since when is 31 “old” for a QB? How old is the guy we just signed to an extension?

32. By Mark Moreno on Nov 8, 2014 | Reply

Will the Cardinal’s wear their Red on Red for this Sundays game?

33. By Darren Urban on Nov 8, 2014 | Reply

Mark —

RE: Uniforms

Red on white.

34. By Scott H on Nov 8, 2014 | Reply

Nick Pepe –

Yup, I hear most of that same stuff on the radio out here. Ya know what? Who cares? Yeah, sometimes it gets to me, too. But I say let everyone look past the Cardinals and in another direction. Just think how sweet it will be when they don’t see us coming and they get knocked on their asses.

35. By John The Draft Guy on Nov 8, 2014 | Reply

Funny, I said a couple of blogs back that resigning Palmer should be there #1 priority and clssylssy said it is way too early to talk about that.

I wouldn’t think you resign/ extend anyone else till I decide what to do with the Fitz and Dockett. Especially Fitz. You really need to know where you stand with those two players to know how much cap room you have.

I guess you could have a number in mind and say this is the max we will give Fitz and Dockett. If they don’t take it, you move on.
    If Keim takes this approach, He could begin signing Cro or Williams.

Now Palmer is signed, I really find it interesting that Keim has said if the right QB falls, they will take a QB early. You will not keep 4, so who goes? Stanton or Thomas?

As for the NFL minor leagues (better known as College Football), if you didn’t enjoy this weekends matchups, you don’t like football. Here’s to ASU knocking off Notre Dame and one step closer to having a shot at the national championship.

Rams vs Cardinals.
    You guys are too worried about this game. protect Palmer and this is a blow out. Their DBs can’t hang with our receivers and with Bowles blitzing the the young QB, he will struggle. 31-10 cardinals

36. By clssylssy on Nov 8, 2014 | Reply

JTDG…
    Did I say that? Or, did I say I hate it when we can’t just enjoy our current success and fans feel the need to begin speculations about dismantling the team already…which, is what some of these scenarios come down to with regard to both players AND coaching staff. Of course, the front office has begun planning on what their course will likely be with regard to extensions, etc, but to disrupt the momentum we’re enjoying with roster controversy (can’t please everyone) seems
    counterproductive and a major buzz kill! Personally, I would like to ride the wave as long as possible, as this hasn’t happened that frequently since I’ve been in Arizona!

37. By NickPepe on Nov 9, 2014 | Reply

Darren

Is it too early to start talking about an extension for BA?

John- I will take that score today. I think we could use a day like that. No 4th quarter drama.

Nick Pepe
    Lifetime Member ’70-’71

38. By jason on Nov 9, 2014 | Reply

Scott H-

The difference between Stanton and Kolb or Flynn is that when Kolb and Flynn got the opportunities to play they had monster games. If you look back at their game logs you’ll see the difference. Would a team be willing to trade for Stanton? Possibly, but it’s not a slam dunk.

JTDG-

I think if you take a QB early Stanton would have to be the guy that goes from a strictly monetary standpoint. He’s scheduled to make $3,866,668 next season, and with reps being a premium I think it’s a no brainer.

39. By clssylssy on Nov 9, 2014 | Reply

Gotta win this one for #40! Happy Veteran’s Day and thank you to all who have served.

40. By Scott H on Nov 9, 2014 | Reply

Jason –

Slight correction in regard to your saying that Flynn had monster GAMES. No, he did not. He had ONE monster game and it came in week 17 during a meaningless game against Detroit. Based on that ONE game, Seattle decided they needed him. That one game was basically his entire resume. Stanton actually has a significantly more substantial resume than that ( not that it would take much ).

Kevin –

Um…I guess we know NOW who Stanton has the most value to, don’t we? And, no, I took no joy in saying that. But after seeing Palmer being carted off the field, I am DAMN glad we have a guy like Stanton here. He can run this offense. This offense doesn’t scale back at all with Stanton under center. He doesn’t turn the ball over. Ain’t NO reason this team can’t win with Stanton. THAT is the value he has here.

41. By jason on Nov 9, 2014 | Reply

Scott H-

I did say “they” so using “games” would’ve been a correct statement, however just to be fair Flynn did have a 3 touchdown game in 2010.

I don’t disagree with your premise that the market will dictate Stanton’s value, and after tonight that stock is only rising, but at the time of the comment to say his value was on par with Kolb or Flynn would be a false statement in my opinion.

More importantly…HOW INSANE WAS THAT GAME?!?!?!?!?!

I don’t know if I’ve ever watched a game where a team has struggled as bad as the Cards were, lost their QB, missed a FG and then turned that momentum on it’s ass and won in a blow out.

42. By Kevin S Mesa on Nov 10, 2014 | Reply

Scott H —

You are right — unfortunately we will now see what Stanton can do.

I believe we can win with him too, that he can run the offense, and that Arians will not be adjusting the playbook because it’s Stanton and not Palmer. But obviously Stanton is not Palmer (if he was, we never would’ve gone out and gotten Palmer in the first place).

Our opinions are not far off. It appears now we’ll see how good Stanton really is, and I hope the answer is very good. All I was saying before is that Stanton’s performance in that handful of games earlier this year wasn’t going to cause the 31 NFL teams that previously have all had a chance to trade for Stanton before to suddenly start offering a lot for him. It’s a really small sample size. You can’t say things like “he doesn’t turn the ball over” based on a handful of games — not when he had 9 INT’s with Detroit throwing less than 200 passes. On the flip side, I’ll admit that you can’t say that just because he was under 50% in 2 out of 3 games that that’s indicative of his overall talent either.

43. By Scott H on Nov 10, 2014 | Reply

Kevin –

OK, then I CAN say he hasn’t been turning the ball over this year with the Cardinals. Detroit was a long time ago at this point. I can only comment on what has been, regardless of the number of games. And I’m not saying his value has gone up / will go up for the other 31 teams in the league. There are not 31 other teams looking for a QB. But for the few that will be – Jets, Titans, Buccs – his stock WILL rise if he continues to play well. There was not a huge market for Kolb, either. All it takes is ONE.

BUT, yes, I know our opinions are not so far off. You and I can go back and forth ’till the cows come home ( and I really DO enjoy that! ) but ultimately wear the same uniform.

So, yes, for better or for worse, we are going to find out what Drew Stanton can do. I would rather be moving on with Palmer, but…that’s not happening.

Hang tight, bud.

44. By Scott H on Nov 10, 2014 | Reply

Jason –

Fair points. But you and I both know, without that ONE monster game that Flynn had that last week of the season in 2011, he’s not really on anyone’s radar as a must-have free agent QB. That 3-TD game in 2010 wasn’t what got Seattle’s attention.