There’s only one Honey Badger (U.S. edition)

Posted by Darren Urban on November 7, 2014 – 9:54 am

The tweet came across my timeline yesterday, saying that the “Honey Badger being quizzed on Welsh culture is fantastic.” And my immediate thought was, why in the heck would someone want to quiz Tyrann Mathieu on Welsh culture? I know Mathieu is popular, but that’s just odd. Of course, it turned out that it was an athlete and he was quizzed about the Welsh, but it was a different Honey Badger athlete. Apparently there is an Australian rugby player named Nick Cummins who is also named Honey Badger, and who knew?

Well, not Mathieu.

“I saw a bunch of people tagging me on Twitter (about Cummins) but I didn’t really pay too much attention,” Mathieu said.

Mathieu is going to be the Honey Badger to the NFL, to American sports fans and to himself. The thought once upon a time that he would ditch the name in the effort to pull away from his troubled college years has been gone, once Mathieu a) understood he could figure out his life regardless of what his nickname was and b) liked the nickname in the first place.

Mathieu is even working to make “Honey Badger” a little more permanent.

“I’m in the process of getting it trademarked,” Mathieu said. “They’re giving me a tough time, because they are telling me it’s an animal.”

That doesn’t make sense. When is a real honey badger going to sell a T-shirt?

HoneyBadgerBLOG

Tags:

17 Responses to “There’s only one Honey Badger (U.S. edition)”

1. By Dynosoar on Nov 7, 2014 | Reply

Tyrann should grow a mustache like Cummins.

2. By SteveG on Nov 7, 2014 | Reply

A glorious mullet and ‘stache?

I agree with Dyno. THAT is a look that Tyrann could rock…

(Or not…..OK…NOT!)

3. By Patrick Hoog aka Don't Take Losses on Nov 7, 2014 | Reply

How far has the Honey Badger come? Wow. He epitomizes the pertinaciousness of the Cardinals in overcoming adversity.. from the Badger to Cromartie to C. Palmer to Andre E to Rucker and on and on … the march to February continues…am trying to enjoy every day of it with my family

4. By D on Nov 7, 2014 | Reply

4-2 in the division, overall 12-4 would be a very nice season, should be home field throughout playoffs, meaning win remaining 4 home games, and a win at St.Louis. Losing at SF, at Seattle and at AtL (yes they should beat AtL but they could have a east coast let down playing a bad team)

Players they should be able to resign during the rest of this season-Palmer, Kelly, maybe D. Williams. Cards may want a cheaper long snapper, but he could be resigned too.

Cromartie will want to test free agent market.

Offseason To Do List:

-figure out Fitz’s and Docket’s future/contract/possible release;
    -Add a Pass Rusher if Free agency and fill any holes current players on roster who may not be here next year
    – Make sure you draft 2 pass rushers, 1 ILB and 1 RB. (later rounds-possible WR, CB, OL)
    – give Bowles and Urban a raise.

5. By Peterincanada on Nov 7, 2014 | Reply

Besides Nick Cummins of the Wallabies we have another Oz connection. I really enjoyed Ben Graham’s punting in the playoff years. He didn’t kick long but he sure kicked high and accurately to the sidelines. I was sorry to see him go but understand he is in management for an Aussie rules football team where he got his start.

6. By Dynosoar on Nov 7, 2014 | Reply

pertinaciousness

Now that’s a word we don’t hear often enough.

7. By Dynosoar on Nov 7, 2014 | Reply

JohnnyBluenose brought up an interesting point in the last article.

I’m sure ya’ll are aware the Browns may never have been to the Super Bowl, but they do have eight or nine championships (except either the NFL or their new owner wouldn’t let them keep them or hang the pennants in their stadium after restating the new team after the former team bailed to the city the Colts bailed on. That was a mouthful.)

While Pittsburgh has six Super Bowl wins, the Packers have 13 championships going back to the 1920s and the Bears, Giants and Browns all have more championships than six, Pittsburgh has a phenomenal six championships, but four teams do have more (sorry Sixburgh.)

One can argue the face of the NFL was different before the Super Bowl era and they would be correct. The face of the NFL is also different than it was in the late 70’s/early 80’s. Teams don’t go to four Super Bowls in a row anymore, so if we don’t discount four wins for Pittsburgh or Washington, we shouldn’t discount wins from earlier decades either.

We Have -Two- Championships. People seem to forget this because the Super Bowl is promoted as the only measure of success. We have Two Championships. I know. I know, it’s “what have you done for me lately.” Personally, I’m looking forward to number three and four and five and… wait, I don’t wan to get ahead of myself. (Haha! Like that’s ever stopped me.)

OK, my side topic is over. Thanks for listening.

Here’s to continuing the march to the team with the best record hosting the Super Bowl, like in the olden days. Go Cardinals, stop those Rams this week and then we can think about the next game.

8. By MikeFlorio on Nov 7, 2014 | Reply

There will always only be one true Honey Badger, and he doesn’t play Rugby!!

9. By Patrick Hoog aka Don't Take Losses on Nov 7, 2014 | Reply

LOL> “give Bowles and Urban a raise”. Pertinaciousness, from nerd who reads dictionary for fun… But H. Badger, man, tough minded …

10. By ryan on Nov 7, 2014 | Reply

Is it true? Palmer just signed a 3 year extension?????

11. By Scott H on Nov 7, 2014 | Reply

Um….Tyrann looks MUCH better in his uniform than this other dude looks in his.

12. By AJC on Nov 7, 2014 | Reply

Nick Cummins “The Honey Badger” is a terrific rugby player and class guy. He’s got a thick Aussie accent and vocabulary but a great character with more candor and humor than your typical athlete (with the exception of Dockett). The hairstyle — not so great. Grew up in PHX but lived in Australia for several years where we grew to love rugby.

Check out:

http://www.rugbydump.com/2014/03/3664/nick-cummins-gives-another-great-interview-after-force-win-over-chiefs — “I was busier than a one-armed bricklayer in Baghdad.”

Honey Badger is now playing rugby in Japan and supports his family’s medical expenses including two brothers with Cystic Fibrosis and his father with cancer.

13. By jeffy1951 on Nov 7, 2014 | Reply

pertinacious – holding tenaciously to a purpose, course of action, or opinion; resolute —————–EXACTLY!!

14. By jeffy1951 on Nov 7, 2014 | Reply

pertinacious = holding tenaciously to a purpose, course of action, or opinion; resolute.>>>>>>>>EXACTLY!

15. By The Gman on Nov 8, 2014 | Reply

Hey Darren,

Here is the real honeybadger!

16. By clssylssy on Nov 8, 2014 | Reply

Was happy to see Tyrann “Honey Badger” zipping around in Dallas, making plays
    and creating havoc with opponent offense; we are going to need a lot of that in this week’s game with the Rams! I love watching #32’s enthusiasm for the game, exceptional ability to anticipate and move to neutralize his opponent and am thrilled he has found a home in Arizona. The series run throughout his recovery was outstanding and I would hope that the organization would continue following our injured players as they battle back to the playing field when injured in action, was kinda hoping that we would get some of the same coverage on Dockett as he has been such a dynamic force within this team even as he is forced to the sidelines.

2. Nov 7, 2014: Cardinals Blogs | Friday before the Rams, Palmer extension edition