Rams — and Palmer knee — aftermath

Posted by Darren Urban on November 9, 2014 – 10:53 pm

I remember, when Calais Campbell got hurt in Denver – at the same time Matt Shaughnessy got hurt – and Campbell said something along the lines that he’d eventually be back, Shaughnessy would eventually be back, Carson Palmer (who still wasn’t back) would eventually be back, and it would all be part of this amazing story of the 2014 Cardinals when they made their playoff run.

The Cards can stop adding hurdles they need to overcome.

Carson Palmer will have an MRI Monday on his left knee. We’ll see what happens, but while you hope for the best, you prepare for the worst, and the worst would be losing Palmer for the season. When your team is 8-1 and talking – legitimately – about a possible playoff run, losing a starting quarterback is vicious.

The positive is that Drew Stanton has played well when he’s had to play. He did it again Sunday. But the last time, it was as a placeholder until Palmer came back. What happens if there is no coming back for Palmer?

Lost in it all was the fact Palmer just signed his contract extension Friday, which obviously is seen in a much different light with an injury. That said, all those wondering if the Cardinals re-signed Palmer too quickly? No. Not in my opinion, not unless you are now predicting serious injuries.

The Cardinals made the right move. They were just hit with bad, bad luck.

— Arians had this to say about Palmer’s new contract: “He’s the leader of our franchise right now and it will stay that way.”

— On a short-term note, it’s too bad Palmer got hurt because it overshadowed the job the defense did against the Rams. I keep going back to the thought the Rams had 40 yards rushing on their first-quarter touchdown drive – and just 70 rushing yards total for the game. The defense simply clamped down, and since the Rams had a rookie QB, St. Louis had no chance.

— Yes, Patrick Peterson has figured it out. That pick-6 was unreal – watch carefully how he tipped it to himself, an amazingly athletic play. “For the first time in a long time I felt 100 percent,” Peterson said. “I just got tired of hearing all the criticism, people not knowing the situation.”

— Calais Campbell was a monster Sunday. As well as Peterson played, Campbell was the best guy on defense.

— Campbell had two sacks of the Cardinals’ six in the game. The Cards had just eight sacks in the first eight games.

— The Rams have not had a very good run defense. So it’s a concern the Cardinals could not run against the Rams. At all. The Cardinals had only 28 yards on the ground, and Andre Ellington got a mere 23 yards on 18 carries. That won’t work for many wins going forward, especially if the Cards have to turn to Stanton.

— Larry Fitzgerald was the backbone of the receiving corps, Yes, Smokey Brown made a beautiful  TD catch, but it was Fitz making multiple crucial catches through the first part of the game, and he’s on a solid path for 1,000 yards now.

— Brown probably shouldn’t have been able to catch that TD. A fantastic individual effort. That kid catches key touchdowns, whether it was the game-winner against the Chargers, 49ers, Eagles and now Rams.

— Michael Floyd got off to a good start this season. But man, he has become MIA. He made a nice catch Sunday for a first down and took a hellacious hit. After that, though, he wasn’t involved.

— Ed Stinson is dinged up, with a groin issue and a toe issue, but he dropped an interception with three minutes left that was right in his hands.

— As I wrap this up, I’m watching Tom Jackson and Cris Carter on ESPN talk about the Cardinals. They are talking about the team under the assumption Palmer is lost and Stanton will be the starter from here on. And both said they can still see this team with the ability to make a playoff run.

It says a lot about this team and the impression it has left nine games into the season.

PalmerThumbUSE

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

46 Responses to “Rams — and Palmer knee — aftermath”

1. By UK Cards Fan on Nov 9, 2014 | Reply

Boy did this win come with a price, now with those reports surfacing that Carson will be done for the year, it’s time to rally around Stanton. As much as we like to feel sorry for ourselves as fans, you gotta really feel for Mr Palmer. His career has been very lucrative, but you can’t put a price on success and establishing a legacy. Hope he rehabs well and is back for 2015.

The defense was really impressive in the second half, but it only gets tougher from here on out, some big playmakers coming to town on sunday.

I know Arians’ next man up mantra means using Stanton as if he were Palmer, and not trying to make any adjustments… but I would like to see stanton’s mobility utilized by rolling him out of the pocket often, buying time for him to throw.

2. By jimmip on Nov 9, 2014 | Reply

What a terrible turn of events for Carson Palmer. Despite his earlier injury this season, he was reasserting himself as a top tier quarterback in this league. My heart goes out to him, I can’t imagine the pain (both physical and emotional) he is dealing with right now. I know this team will pull together behind Drew Stanton and continue the impressive journey they all began together.

3. By georgiebird on Nov 9, 2014 | Reply

Stanton has looked pretty good. The question to my fellow Cardinals’ fans is – ” would the Cards have won this game if Palmer did not get hurt”?
    I feel the Cards may have lost this game with Palmer; the Rams were rattling CP a bit.
    The very good finish for the defense came when the Cards took the lead and started smelling the finish line. Getting the lead were compliments of Stanton and Smokey.
    However, we no longer have a safety net at QB.

4. By georgiebird on Nov 9, 2014 | Reply

On the PP pick six:
    1) one of the great reaction plays of the season
    2) the receiver was wide open

5. By Steve on Nov 9, 2014 | Reply

Darren: Worst case scenario if it is an ACL injury, Palmer might not be ready until a month into next season. Is Dennis Dixon still on the practice squad?

6. By Darren Urban on Nov 10, 2014 | Reply

Steve —

RE: Dixon

7. By Wally Fleagle on Nov 10, 2014 | Reply

Urban you are the only dingbat that’s been ranting on about a stupid mid-season contract extension. Worry about that stuff in the off-season. Even though I think they are better off with Stanton anyway, I blame you for jinxing the guy with the idiotic writings about the extension when there are far more important things to be writing about.

8. By Darren Urban on Nov 10, 2014 | Reply

Wally —

RE: Extension

Yes, that’s right. Palmer hurt his knee because I wrote about his contract. You’ve figured it out.

I will write about more important things, like … like how jinxes are real!

9. By superbowlcards on Nov 10, 2014 | Reply

Wally Fleagle
    I for one have been harping we needed to lock Palmer up earlier in the year, Im not the only one, and Darren wasnt the only one writing on it.
    No way we could have afforded him if/when he lead us to the Superbowl!
    Cant predict injury, I sure hope you were trying out sarcasm, if not, you need to crawl back into the hole you came out of, gotta love all these”fans” who only start showing up when the Cardinals are winning, dont see these fair weather fans in all kinds of seasons!!
    I know for a fact many of the faithfull Cardinal fans were happy to see, or had been pushing for Carson’s extension, willing to bet more were pushing for CP’s extension than PP’s extension!

10. By LadyBird04 on Nov 10, 2014 | Reply

Prayers for Carson Palmer – keeping you in our thoughts today for a positive MRI. What a tough break for him – again.

Stanton is a very competent back-up to Palmer and we can only hope the rest of the team steps up big. No offense meant, but Palmer’s years of experience on the field and ability to read defenses and the field are one thing Stanton doesn’t have and will have to learn really quickly.

Darren – you mentioned Peterson was unhappy about hearing people criticize him “without knowing the situation”. Perhaps all he had to do was let people know what the “situation” was and then he wouldn’t have had his feelings hurt.

11. By SmoothCARD GA on Nov 10, 2014 | Reply

Get well soon Carson. NEXT MAN UP!

12. By Andy Kw on Nov 10, 2014 | Reply

We all will pray that Carson Palmer is okay. I believe that Drew Stanton can take us far along with our outstanding defense. We still believe and we will not stop believing in the Cardinals because this is our year.

13. By superbowlcards on Nov 10, 2014 | Reply

AndyKW
    The only fear I have is Fitz will disappear again, it seems with Carson under center that Fitz was a huge target, and a big part of this Cardinals offense, hopefully Stanton will keep Fitz as his primary, if Fitz gets his 7-8 catches, and 125-135 a game we are almost impossible to beat, anybody else notice the monster games Fitz has been having with Palmer?
    On a sidenote – we have got to find a running game, and soon!!
    Whatever we did on defense that produced the pass rush and sacks, we need to keep it up!! Though I fear it was more of the Rams, rookie QB, and horrid Oline!

14. By Big Ken on Nov 10, 2014 | Reply

But Drew Stanton, he simply picked up where he left off a couple of weeks ago. Right these guys off? Not so fast, a tremendous season continues.

15. By rod on Nov 10, 2014 | Reply

That sucks. There is some sort of evil power that doesn’t want this team to go all the way.

16. By NickPepe on Nov 10, 2014 | Reply

Bittersweet. That is the word of the day. It is a damn shame for Carson Palmer. He was having a fine season. I hope he has a full and speedy recovery.

John Brown is down right scary. That catch for the TD, wow. Just wow. He has to be in consideration for rookie of the year. Michael Floyd needs to re-emerge from whatever hole he crawled into. I don’t think there has been a deep ball thrown his way in quite a while. We need to have him going up and grabbing some jump balls, like we got used to last year! Fitz is still a beast. Calais Campbell played out of his mind yesterday. And Patrick is back to playing like the best CB in the league again. Cromartie’s play is not far off from Patrick’s. Drew stood tall and confident in the pocket. It helps when you have so many weapons at your disposal. Rams made a concerted effort to stop Ellington. The O-line had its hands full, but in the end we made enough plays. We have the best coaching staff in the league, led by our favorite Uncle!!!

Watching ESPN gameday, Chris Berman made a point of saying how this team with the best record in the NFL has no team MVP, and thats the best thing about this team. That it is a talented, well rounded TEAM. And that may have been a little prophetic on his part. Hours later our QB goes down and Drew stepped in, and the D stepped up in a big, big way. This team is for real. And we can win the SB with Drew Stanton as our QB. Hell, I think this team can win the SB with Drew Barrymore as QB.

What a great (but bittersweet) Monday. We are 8-1. And it feels awesome!

Darren- Is it too early to start talking contract extension for Uncle Bruce?

Nick Pepe
    Lifetime Member ’70-’71
    Loving my Monday

17. By Darren Urban on Nov 10, 2014 | Reply

Nick —

RE: BA contract

I wouldn’t be surprised if it came up in the offseason.

18. By superbowlcards on Nov 10, 2014 | Reply

Just dont learn do you Darren, now BA is going to tear his ACL, cant talk about extensions, now your going to have Mr Wally Fleagle all over you for this extension too!! HaHa!!

19. By shannon robinson on Nov 10, 2014 | Reply

There is no joy in Mudville, Mighty Carson is out.

20. By Eric G on Nov 10, 2014 | Reply

Palmer knows it. We all know what news is coming today. It’s not good news. Palmer is done for the season. Time for Stanton to take the horns and show he’s entitled to a contract extension as well.

NEXT MAN UP!

21. By SteveG on Nov 10, 2014 | Reply

I certainly hope we are all wrong and it isn’t an ACL…I recently had knee surgery, meniscus reconstruction and I hope Carson has something as relatively trivial…I will be done with rehab in about 3 weeks vs. minimum six months..and my preliminary diagnosis pre MRI was ACL as well…Fingers crossed….(My rehab does not allow me to escape angry rushing 300lb men however)

I feel for Carson, obviously he gets the $$ but after several years in football hell, here he is with the right coach/team/organization to play well, be relevant and happy..and then this none contact lightning bolt…just sickening…

.”The best laid schemes o’ mice an’ men
    Gang aft a-gley, [often go awry]
    An’ lea’e us nought but grief an’ pain,
    For promised joy.

Robert Burns ..”To a Mouse”…1786

Drew has shown he is a NFL quality QB..The team is deep and talented and I have confidence in mind set of BA and the staff…In years past we are done, but this year, this team?..No way…

Hell, if it wasn’t hard, everyone would do it…

GO CARDS!

22. By TheXgasm on Nov 10, 2014 | Reply

Welp, that picture of Palmer on the cart is basically heartbreaking. Still, I was thinking that Stanton just needs to be a game manager while the defense does the heavy lifting, but it dawned on me that that’s just not BA’s style.

He COULD just scale back the playbook and ask Stanton to make safe throws, try and depend on the (admittedly anemic) run game and hope the D makes plays, but that man doesn’t have it in his nature to concede, he can’t call plays tentatively, and he loves to attack. And really, that throw from Stanton to Smokey showed me that Stanton doesn’t like it either…they’re both attackers, they’re both aggressive, and we’re going to end up riding or dying on the arm of Stanton and the playcalling of BA.

I’m all for that.

23. By John The Draft Guy on Nov 10, 2014 | Reply

First, I said 31-10 on a couple blogs back simply because I thought the defense would destroy the rams offense. It looked a little scary when the rams ran it down our throat but the adjustments were made and the defense dominated. I was blown away when I saw only 70 rushing yards. It felt like more but the rams did nothing on the second half.

Why 2 touchdowns in the 31-14 loss? Bucannon got locked up one on one deep with a TE. Can’t do that. He is great in the box, but he is not covering athletic TEs like Cook down the field. Congrats for his first sack though.

Play of the day- Sure there are a lot of obvious ones, but don’t forget how Palmer ran down the speedy LB on the INT, to prevent a TD. Palmer showed some speed.

Austin Davis is a bad QB. Now when you are the 3rd string QB and you are struggling, why do you think it is time to go after PP ? whoops ! A really stupid move by Austin as PP picks him twice and takes one to the house. The rams could be good if they had anything at QB. Davis reminded me of the old card QBs between Warner and Palmer. Just really bad.

Campbell did dominate. They moved him around and he took advantage. He is a pro bowl guy. But did you see little Campbell (Kareem Martin) on his sack and fumble that turned into a TD by Cro. Martin looked like CC on that play. Maybe something is rubbing off.

John Brown is a stud. What a great draft pick from D2. No one saw this kid emerging (or being drafted)

Fitz is the man. I thought as Floyd emerged, Fitz would get less and less catches. I guess the old man had other plans. Fitz staying a Card? Looking more and more possible. With the emergence of Brown and Brown, maybe Floyd will become trade bait in the off season?

Losing Palmer is huge. Now our Back up Stanton has to face the number 1 defense in the Lions. With no run game at all, this will be the biggest challenge of the year.

Peterson vs Megatron part two. Oh, got to love that.

24. By superbowlcards on Nov 10, 2014 | Reply

John
    Keep an eye on Fitz’s production, I fear that Carson made it a top priority to get Fitz involved in the offense, seeing that if he got a fair amount of targets and come out with 125-135 yards a game, it makes the Cardinals very difficult to beat. I fear Stanton will allow Fitz slip back into a non factor, I hope not, but for some reason, that was my first thought after hearing of the injury!

25. By John The Draft Guy on Nov 10, 2014 | Reply

One more thing,

did anyone notice both Cro and Honey Badger played OLB ?

Bowles is my favorite coach. He just keeps getting creative. Cro could have had a sack but hesitated. I saw Bowles and Cro had a laugh on the sideline over that one.

26. By truths4all on Nov 10, 2014 | Reply

FYI – the Rams’ run defense fielded against the Cards was NOT the same porus defense they had from their prior games. The trade for and addition of McDonald produced its desired effect, a much more agressive and stouter run defense than the Cards expected to attack.

Really surprised that Urban couldn’t see this as the Rams new defense dominated and neutralized the Cards run game by the addition of this single hard-nosed play maker. The good thing is the addition of McDonald did not improve their pass defense.

27. By Darren Urban on Nov 10, 2014 | Reply

truths —

RE: McDonald

McDonald has been on the Rams all season.

28. By Matt on Nov 10, 2014 | Reply

Oops! I’m sure he meant Mark Barron but may want to get those pesky facts straight before calling Darren out. Go Cards!

29. By superbowlcards on Nov 10, 2014 | Reply

truths —

Uuuummmmmmm, you may want to change your posting name, you are talking like they did some awesome trade at the deadline, McDonald has been a Ram since start of season, sir. And thats the “truth4all”!

30. By Dynosoar on Nov 10, 2014 | Reply

rod,

there may be, but evil never wins in the end. So we’re good.

31. By Dynosoar on Nov 10, 2014 | Reply

That call to throw to Smokey was waiting all game and the matchup came under Stanton’s watch and it was dialed in and Touchdown!

There’s a reason BA brought Stanton with him and has continually had his back as has the entire team (at least in public and in the way they play with him in there.)

This team and staff believe in him and if I hear things correctly, so do most of us.

I hate that Palmer is injured again, but so, so glad we have Stanton. Some have speculated as to his value as “trade bate,” how does that value increase and what value for keeping him as he leads us to victory after victory and into the playoffs (and beyond?)?

What other teams have a starting quality QB as there backup?

Go Cardinals! Thanks for a statement win.

32. By Dynosoar on Nov 10, 2014 | Reply

I’ve been following our future opponents and while the mantra “any given Sunday” is real (as Pittsburgh learned yesterday), I don’t believe this team is built to fall for this. I’m not worried about any game past the Lions and with them at home, I’m not so worried about them either.

I’m actually excited to see the battle between Peterson/Cromartie and Megatron/Tate. This is going to be one fun game!

It looks like we do have a pass rush. What I love is our team seems to get better each week. If one part of our game suffers (rushing) we just move to plan B and still find the victory. This team is built to win and win we shall.

(Yes, I’m facing the brutal facts regarding injuries and am also watching this team overcome all adversity all season and they don’t look like they;re anywhere close to the proverbial straw.)

33. By Dynosoar on Nov 10, 2014 | Reply

how about a jinxing article about contracts being signed by players for our future opponents?

Kidding. I don’t want anyone hurt. Now… if they could just be jinxed enough to be distracted most of the game. Haha!

No, we don’t need it.

The best part about our team, we are better in the second half. So what does that say about our second games against San Francisco and St. Louis. Watching Seattle, except for glimpses, they are not last years team at all. We beat them in their house last year and we’re a better team.

I know it’s not a given and there’s still a lot of games to play, I see a sweep against the NFC West as not only possible, but probable. Can I cross my fingers and not create a jinx? Haha.

34. By JohnnyBluenose on Nov 10, 2014 | Reply

hi Darren. I agree with everything you just wrote. Campell and Fitz were our best players today and Smokey made a couple of great catches, especially the td catch from Stanton (who also made some nice throws). Our running game is terrible. Ellington is shifty but he had no place to go and his signature move seems to be to dive to the ground before getting hit. Something needs to change and I agree with John the Draft Guy…we need to see what Cooper can do. Losing Palmer is a real blow. Stanton can play. He can throw and he is fairly mobile so I think we will be okay as long as he stays healthy. We are in big trouble if Stanton goes down. It will be interesting to see what Keim does about addressing the back-up quarterback situation now. Stanton will be looking forward to playing his former team on Sunday. We need to beat the Lions to maintain home field advantage in the play-offs. Another area of concern for me going forward is the lack of a return game. I don’t know what the answer is but we are not getting much out of it. At least we are not turning the ball over so maybe we have to be satisfied with that. Nice to see our tight ends pick up some good yardage but as you wrote, Michael Floyd once again was a non-factor and seems to be lumbering down the field on the rare occasions that he is targeted deep. Maybe he is hurt. The last thing I will say is that I was at the game and for some reason the first guy I saw on the field at the end of the game was Jegg Fisher and the first person he sought out to congratulate was Drew Stanton. I don’t think it was an accident and I think it says a lot about Fisher. He is a class act. Way to go Cardinals. Keep going.

35. By Frankie on Nov 10, 2014 | Reply

I’m not worried about the success of my Cards going to the playoff. I will just feel bad for the revenue in AZ . Only the opposing team will be traveling in AZ Super Bowl and that’s not good with AZ establishments.. It will be the first time a team hosting a SB!

36. By Andy Kw on Nov 10, 2014 | Reply

-I don’t think I was the only person who had a bad feeling that something was going to happen after the signing of the big contract to Carson Palmer. But you know what, Carson Palmer is still our leader and I will always have much respect for this guy. We all hope for a speedy and successful recovery.
    -That throw by Drew Stanton to Smokey John Brown was right on the money. That throw was accurate, Stanton looked poised and comfortable in the pocket, he was willing to scramble when all options were exhausted, and he makes good decisions. If that throw is just a glimpse of what he can do with just practice with the second team, imagine what he can do if he had a full week of first team reps. He did not have much action since week 5 against the Denver Broncos. With that three game experience as a starter, he was able to amp up his production when he played the Rams and I am sure we will see more Stanton to Smokey Brown. Larry Fitzgerald is reemerging and Patrick Peterson & the Defense looks better than ever. We have no reason to doubt but have more reason to believe.

37. By Patricia on Nov 10, 2014 | Reply

My prayers are with all the Cardinals players and God is with you all!! This is your year to win the Super Bowl and you are, you deserve it TRUST IN GOD and keep the faith!! We have awesome players and coaches!!! God bless you all!!!

38. By Walt on Nov 10, 2014 | Reply

Hi Darren,

I love Palmer, and it’s definitely a huge loss for the Cardinals…but is it really devastating? Here’s why I ask it like that: The Cards are now 8-1, and we have heard for weeks how they are winning with average (at best) offensive stats; how they still haven’t put it together; how they have so many areas in which to improve, etc. Isn’t it fair to say that, with the presumed loss of Palmer, the Cardinals aren’t disrupting a top, highly-functioning unit; that given how much room they have to improve, there’s no reason that improvement (in ALL areas; not just QB) can’t/won’t occur, and thus make up for the loss of Palmer?

In other words, the amount of improvement that they need to make/WILL make anyway, in all areas, will help to offset the loss in ONE area (QB), and they’ll end up ahead (better) in the long run. So even if Stanton is serviceable at test, and a moderate downgrade from Palmer, they can still do what they need to do on offense to win games, particularly now that the defense seems to be getting better and better (so says my fantasy scoring with them!).

BTW, I think Stanton is going to shine!

Thanks for the coverage, Darren.

39. By clssylssy on Nov 10, 2014 | Reply

The great thing about this team is that our players are all warriors and we have so much depth and versatility with in so many positions that when there is a need somebody can improvise. These guys are very smart and you can tell they study; they aren’t just a bunch of pretty faces but are artsans. I have no doubt that Drew Stanton can lead us to victory as he is knowledgeable (beyond his backup status) and has demonstrated success before against the 9ers as well as the Giants (on the road). He is mobile and a scrambler and I don’t think many of our opponents realize he is much more than just a stand-in…he sure didn’t look like a backup when he stepped up and promptly moved the team down the field to score on that amazing throw to John Brown! Our run game is what is to be expected without a pounder (like we had last year with Mendy) even though Ellington is an amazing talent and Taylor, Grice, are better than we’ve had in years past. We just need somebody with some size to clear the way so we can then make those explosive plays.
    After watching the 9ers beat the Saints (in the Dome no less) and seeing us sleepwalk through the first three quarters, I was beginning to think we would be fighting an uphill battle going into this final stretch of our schedule, but our defense came through (again) and gave us another reprieve…with an exclamation mark! We have all the tools on offense, we have the playcaller, and so need to just tweek things so we go into the Lion’s game all on the same page, alert,and ready to take it to the house. Love seeing Fitz still making the big plays even if they are not as glitzy, interesting to note that Frank Gore is also considered a “senior” at 31 and has not lost a step either. If we stay with our strengths (we have so many), we can win with Stanton. The one thing commentators do agree on is that the Cardinals are the most fun team to watch in the NFL! We’ve come a long way baby!

40. By tmac66 on Nov 10, 2014 | Reply

I believe in Stanton. I think behind Palmer, he’s the second best qb this organization has had since Warner left.

41. By Jerry on Nov 10, 2014 | Reply

I am praying for a safe and speedy recovery for Palmer. Stanton had been under BA and Palmer for a season and a half and I have complete faith that he will still lead us as far as Palmer could, to the playoffs and possible Superbowl. My concern is TE Carlson. I know he is a great blocker but he has to many dropped balls on important plays. I’m sure he gets his butt reemed but the drops continue.
    Thanks for your great stories and keep us updated about Palmer

42. By siege911 on Nov 10, 2014 | Reply

I wonder if there are any thoughts on a Drew Stanton extension? Isn’t his contract up this year as well? If Palmer does have a torn ACL, there’s a chance we won’t see him on the field at the beginning of next season. I know rehab times vary and Palmer’s position doesn’t require quite as hard of cuts and abuse, but you never know in these situations.

Or do we stick with Logan Thomas? I’m sure there’s a few teams that would take Drew Stanton over whoever they have as QB now and pay him closer to a starter than a backup.

And what happens if Stanton does lead us to a Super Bowl or at least deep into the playoffs? How about that conundrum… Too many “what ifs” in the Cardinals future for me to be comfortable.

43. By Andy Kw on Nov 10, 2014 | Reply

Siege, Stanton signed a 3yrd contract so he would still have one year remaining for next season.

44. By Louisville Card on Nov 10, 2014 | Reply

Hi Darren,

I wanted to see what your thoughts were on Michael Floyd. It seems as if the he’s playing timidly. Do you think the near injury hits he’s taken several times this year is making him scared and a non factor now? Or is it he’s just not getting desperation to get open? This was supposed to be a passing of the torch year and it has been far from that. It makes Fitz’s contract next year a bigger deal as the cards have lost all their leverage with Floyd not seeming like he’s the heir apparent now. If he stay’s a one or two catch guy the next couple of games, do you think John Brown could take the #2 spot? Seems like he has more potential at this point.

45. By Darren Urban on Nov 10, 2014 | Reply

Louisville —

RE: Floyd

No, I don’t think things change with Floyd. I disagree that Floyd has less potential than Brown. I think Brown benefits from defenses looking at Floyd, just like Floyd has benefited from teams looking at Fitz.

2. Nov 10, 2014: Cardinals Blogs | Keim: Waiting on injury, and the offensive line