Smokey brings Cards back into SI focus

Posted by Darren Urban on November 11, 2014 – 3:23 pm

It’s been all over social media today, but the Cardinals have made it back on to a Sports Illustrated (regional) cover this week by highlighting Smokey Brown’s fantastic touchdown catch against the Rams in a story titled — fittingly, “Next Man Up.”

SmokeyCoverblog

But the Cardinals have been there before in recent times. Larry Fitzgerald was the poster boy for SI as the NFL players were set to come back from the lockout in 2011, with a shot of him sitting in a locker room all serious-like. And then there were the back-to-back-to-back covers during the 2008 season playoff run, with Fitz and Kurt Warner. (Yes, technically, DBs DRC, Aaron Francisco and Ralph Brown had a cameo on the SI cover the next week, but surprisingly I don’t have a picture of the Santonio Holmes cover).

And please, no one talk about jinxes to me. I don’t buy into them. Never have. Just enjoy the picture.

SIBlogshotuse

Tags: , , ,

21 Responses to “Smokey brings Cards back into SI focus”

1. By Jason on Nov 11, 2014 | Reply

If you’re not 12 you shouldn’t believe in jinxes either.

2. By Dynosoar on Nov 11, 2014 | Reply

I don’t have a copy of the Santonio Holmes cover either.

Everyone, read the article in the Newsfeeds of the breakdown of this TD toss to Smokey. It gives confidence to see what Stanton saw at the line of scrimmage and as the play developed.

That’s on sweet shot! (sorry, couldn’t resist the pun.)

3. By hummer53 on Nov 11, 2014 | Reply

Odd fact. Was thinking the other day. ‘we sure play Detroit a lot’. Looked it up and sure enough. We have played the Lions 11 times since 2001. I believe we play them next year too. Kind of a weird scheduling quirk.

4. By krehbieo14 on Nov 11, 2014 | Reply

Since the beginning of his time with the Cardinals, John Brown has been a stud. I was familiar with his body of work at the NFL combine, watching his speed, cuts, route running and hands. Early on in training camp it became apparent that he was someone special. It wasn’t just his competency on the field, but his powerful story of triumph over adversity. Many have thought he was too small and from a football program that few have heard about. Smokey played for the Pittsburg State Gorillas, after the coaches decided to offer him a try out. Everything he has done has not come about easily. After losing his brother, he dedicated his life to making a difference on and off the field. Now it’s Sport Illustrated time.

5. By Dynosoar on Nov 11, 2014 | Reply

louis,

In the last articles posts you wrote,

“I’ve been a Cardinals fan for 40 years. I regret some things I’ve said in the past. I love my Cardinals forever.”

Louis, I’d like to say, welcome back. Have you heard, we could be the first team with home filed advantage in the Super Bowl. We can put those bad years behind us because, well… they’re behind us.

The future is bright and it’s now. I can’t tell you how excited you are leaving the regretful comments behind because we need ya man and you need us.

We’re in this together and we can disagree and agree and it’s all good because we love our Cardinals.

Welcome back! Now let’s enjoy (as someone said earlier) a safari and go Lion Hunting.

6. By Dynosoar on Nov 11, 2014 | Reply

Chuck Harris

You wrote earlier

“oh my god I didn’t know that Ryan Lindley had magical powers to curse an entire team”

Well you learn something every day. I didn’t know that either.

Oh and to those who wonder if Stanton can take us to our own Lombardi, read his thought process on the TD throw to Smokey on the Newsfeed/home page. It sounds like he can read a defense while were in formation.

Hmmmm. Sounds like another former Colts QB who Stanton was backup to. Could Stanton have learned something from Manning? Wouldn’t that be awesome for Stanton, the career second stringer to beat Manning who he used to be second string for. Do I have this correct?

7. By Darren Urban on Nov 11, 2014 | Reply

Dyno —

RE: Stanton/Manning

Drew never played with Manning.

8. By CreditCard on Nov 11, 2014 | Reply

Lets face it, the Cards are flat out an exciting team to watch. Last second victories, different players and methods rising to the top. Box of chocolates, each game is specially thrilling and unique.

This is all attributed to good coaching, and scouting for talent. My opinion, all players in the NFL are good athletes. Good coaches can gleam the talents of each player and meshing them nicely with the rest of the team.

The Cards must have exceptional assistant coaches to produce their results. The assistant coaches must be paying very close attention to the smallest detail.

Darren can you shed some light on the assistant coaches, or what you see in the differences of techniques that these coaches are doing vs. in previous years / staffs.

9. By Darren Urban on Nov 11, 2014 | Reply

Credit —

RE: Assistants

In a basic way, I just think some of these guys are teachers at heart, and there are a lot of them. Specifics, I can’t give you a lot of info. But this staff has been very good in that regard.

10. By Coach K on Nov 11, 2014 | Reply

I’m so glad we brought back Lindley. The thought of having Thomas one step away making his 12 to 15 step drops behind the pocket scared me to death. Stanton, Lindley and then Thomas is good for me.

11. By Coach K on Nov 11, 2014 | Reply

Key for Stanton success- Bootleg passes. Layered deep in passes on the back end deep, short to medium drag patterns to the tight ends will be Stanton’s bread and butter. If all covered, he keeps the ball and gets as many yards as he can and gets out of bounds.

I expect to see lots of boot passes and tight end drag patterns playing to Stantons strengths and mobility.

12. By clssylssy on Nov 11, 2014 | Reply

Was shocked when I went on NFL.com that John Brown wasn’t up for Rookie of the Week and that catch wasn’t the play of the week…guess I shouldn’t have been too surprised because they are all about the Cowboys & Broncos… but, SPORTS ILLUSTRATED Cover beats NFL hands down any day so…Way To Go! !!

13. By T. Stone on Nov 11, 2014 | Reply

Darren with the JINX. NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!! I’ll bet a lunch that Fitz gets hurt now because you Jinxed him. Thanks a lot Darren.

14. By TucsonTim on Nov 11, 2014 | Reply

What a great photo! Nice company, #11 and #13, two future hall of famers.

15. By Dynosoar on Nov 11, 2014 | Reply

Darren, thanks.

Sounds like I need to do a little research to correct my memory.

16. By Dynosoar on Nov 11, 2014 | Reply

So I did my research, Stanton was traded to the Colts 15 days after Manning left, so he was a backup to Luck and not Manning. Which means he never learned from Peyton.

But he’s got Tom Moore and BA teaching him, so he’s good to go.

17. By red bird of death! on Nov 12, 2014 | Reply

Yep dude you just went on a crazy guy rant but it’s cool l hear ya, let’s just handle the lions first.

18. By rod on Nov 12, 2014 | Reply

John has been a non factor on the road. We need that to change.

On a side note, he got all 10’s on NFL network “Dancing with the starters” for his TD dance last week. It was an epic celebration!

19. By Big Ken on Nov 12, 2014 | Reply

The photo of Warner is a favorite. Remember there was a concern Fitzgerald would out run his arm.

20. By joannamcgrath on Nov 12, 2014 | Reply

Way to go Smoke! We are all so proud of you here in AZ!!

21. By Scott H on Nov 12, 2014 | Reply

OK, can someone tell me – when the hell does this issue go on sale??? Been looking high and low for it the last 2 days and haven’t seen it anywhere!!!