Bowles gets contract extension

Posted by Darren Urban on November 13, 2014 – 9:28 am

There’s been nothing official announced by the team, but multiple reports (first from profootballtalk.com) have this morning that the Cardinals have extended the contract of defensive coordinator Todd Bowles through the 2017 season. UPDATE: Bowles confirmed he has signed the extension. The story here.

Bowles also will reportedly be among the highest paid assistants in the league. It doesn’t mean Bowles couldn’t/wouldn’t leave for a head coaching job, but Bowles has always maintained he would only leave for the right head coaching situation and getting more money and having a good thing here in Arizona certainly gives him more flexibility in keeping to that mindset.

Bowles meets with the media every Thursday, so he’ll be speaking post-practice. I’m guessing this will be a topic.

It’s not the first time the Cardinals have been proactive with a contract upgrade for a coordinator who could be leaving for a head coaching job. After the 2007 season, the Cards gave offensive coordinator Todd Haley a new deal, scuttling a head coaching interview with Miami and Haley’s one-time mentor, Bill Parcells. Haley stayed, and steered the offense that got the Cardinals to the Super Bowl the next season. He then left to become the Kansas City Chiefs’ head coach.

Bowles has been tremendous for the Cardinals in his season-plus as coordinator. This season especially, with Bowles working his schematic magic with a lineup beset by personnel losses through injuries and suspension. The Cards certainly hope he will stick around, although coach Bruce Arians said from the moment he hired Bowles and offensive coordinator Harold Goodwin that was the goal was to get both head coaching jobs.

BowlesBlogUSE

Tags:

41 Responses to “Bowles gets contract extension”

1. By Marlin on Nov 13, 2014 | Reply

GREAT !!!!!!!!!!!!

2. By D on Nov 13, 2014 | Reply

Great Job Mr. B! I said earlier that this was one of my offseason things to do (give Todd more money-along with Urban)

Now just get him some Pass Rusher’s this spring and those Raider, Jets and Jags jobs will not seem too appealing to him. My guess is that Harbaugh will be cut loose from SF and get the Raider’s job over Tony S. and SF will promote within their org as next HC, ie Fangio, Roman or Rathman.

3. By Patrick Hoog aka Don't Take Losses on Nov 13, 2014 | Reply

In the fwiw category (like most my comments😉 : Heard interesting interview with Carlos Dansby, opining on Bowles future. Believes Bowles would stay long term as DC in AZ. Thinks Bowles loves coaching and scheming as DC and maybe would not love the admin of HC; seemed to be based on comments by Bowles last season when Los was here. Certainly no one knows, but still caught my ear…
    Bowles so good, just recalling the consternation when Ray Horton passed over by BA … seems years ago now … Bowles consummate DC. For $1.5M to $2m per, AZ might be good gig to play out this roster for next few years. Prospects of this roster and staff as good as any in league. Bowles knows that…

4. By Eric G on Nov 13, 2014 | Reply

Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes!

Dear Bowles, please please please please please please please please pretty please with a cherry on top don’t leave. The Cards are on the verge of something great in the desert and they cannot do it without you.

5. By lg on Nov 13, 2014 | Reply

He’s a great DC and one day will be a great HC about time we paid him BIRDGANG BEST IN THE NFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. By georgiebird on Nov 13, 2014 | Reply

Great move by the Cardinals TB is one of the more successful DC’s in the league. Many felt that no one could ever replace Ray Horton-who?
    Nothing against Bowles but there is a big step-up from DC to Head Coach-TB was an interim HC in Miami.
    I would imagine that being able to dial up a blitz is about 5% of what goes into making a successful HC. The NFL is littered with countless coordinators who couldn’t make the jump to HC. The first I remember was Phil Bengston for Lombardi then Bill Arnsbarger, Charlie Weis, and I’ll even throw in the Whiz (w/o Warner).
    Good luck to TB as he stays a Cardinals’ DC but remember the Peter Principle is omnipresent- many are called but few can deliver the bacon.

7. By Darren Urban on Nov 13, 2014 | Reply

Georgie —

RE: HC from coordinator

You are right. But you will never know if you don’t try.

More importantly, if you are offered, say, $16 million for a four-year contract, how do you turn that down?

8. By NickPepe on Nov 13, 2014 | Reply

Awesome news. It’s as much a testament to Uncle Bruce as it is to Todd Bowles!! .

Nick Pepe
    Lifetime Member

9. By kauaicardsfan on Nov 13, 2014 | Reply

AWESOME!!!

Goes to show from the top down they are doing what it takes to be WINNERS! and stay there !!!!

Mahalo MR B !!!!

10. By Big Ken on Nov 13, 2014 | Reply

Wasn’t Bowles interviewed for the DC in the Whisenhunt era?

11. By Darren Urban on Nov 13, 2014 | Reply

Big Ken —

RE: Bowles

He was. Whiz went with Horton.

12. By clssylssy on Nov 13, 2014 | Reply

Smart move for the Cardinals and a nice cushion for Todd Bowles that will allow him options so that he can pick the HC job HE wants and doesn’t have to feel pressured into someone else’s terms; he certainly has earned the extension but will still no doubt be on a lot of short lists for teams looking for a new HC.
    Sometimes, football guys find out that being a HC is not their real passion and return to the action of being a coordinator preferring the locker room to the corner office and organizational politics (Haley in KC) but at least he will have options. Of course, as fans we hate change and would like to see him stick around to see the Cards become a periennial playoff contender. Congratulations to the Cards and Mr. Bowles!

13. By John The Draft Guy on Nov 13, 2014 | Reply

Bowles has done a great job in Arizona. Could you imagine what he could do with a healthy squad and a couple pass rushers? ’85 bears? 2000 ravens?
    Who knows?

As HC’s go, tell me why I am off base Darren with this thinking.

BA has retired once, until brought back to indy. Could you see BA retiring in 2015 or 16 with a SB under his belt and the reins being handed over to Bowles?

Do you think a conversation like that can be or has been made? I know speculation, but thoughts

14. By Darren Urban on Nov 13, 2014 | Reply

JTDG —

RE: Taking over

Here’s the issue: I don’t see B.A. going anywhere anytime soon. If the right job comes for Bowles, he can’t pass it up.

15. By Brad on Nov 13, 2014 | Reply

I do agree with what you said about how could you turn down a $16 million for a 4 year contract, but wherever he goes more than likely it will be with a rebuilding team. I would save the headaches and stay in AZ where the pieces are already put in place!! I’m saying this because i’m a die hard Cards fan, so it’s a biased opinion.

16. By Darren Urban on Nov 13, 2014 | Reply

Brad —

RE: Bowles

I get it. But he could set himself up for life monetarily. Yes, he’d have to rebuild. But that’s the only way you get a coaching job in the first place. Ready-made teams don’t come along because they don’t change coaches.

17. By Bruce on Nov 13, 2014 | Reply

Todd…May I call you Todd? Please stay! After we win 3 Superbowls in a row. Then you may go on to be a head coach. Just don’t pick an NFC West team. Or an NFC team.lol Thank you Sir!!!

18. By jwoodaz on Nov 13, 2014 | Reply

Stay here and just win Mr. Bowles, You do that for a couple years you won’t be able to buy a meal in this state. Thank you Mr. Kiem and Mr. Bidwell, keep doing what you’re doing please..Sup Darren..

19. By John The Draft Guy on Nov 13, 2014 | Reply

The right situation could be in Atlanta at 3-6. I don’t know if a lot of jobs open up. Raiders and maybe Bears. Jets, and maybe dolphins if the can’t make the playoffs. (the dolphins could be the perfect place but he had a stay there as interm and was replaced)

But Atlanta, You have a franchise QB, a big play receiver in Jones, a LT in Mathews, a couple of fast recievers in weems and douglas, an offense pretty set.

On defense, well he has a couple of young corners and a rookie ILB and DE and he can clean house and get guys who fit his style.

He has coached at Morehouse in Atlanta so he knows the town.

He also would be going to a very weak division,

If Smith is fired, this is the place he goes to. For Bowles, hopefully Atlanta continues to tank. For card fans, I hope the Falcons have a good second half of the season, so they don’t fire their coach.

20. By Dynosoar on Nov 13, 2014 | Reply

John, your The Draft Guy –

your supposed to speculate, it’s what you do and do so well. And this speculation shows why. Brilliant!

Will BA leave, that’s a good question, but I’m liking thinking of Bowles taking the reigns someday.

I’m also thinking, when Bowles does become a HC and BA said day one he should be, can you imagine the games that will unfold as BA and Bowles face off with their respective teams.

Those will be games to watch as they both try to lose the first half to learn what the other is doing so they can beat them. The Master and the Student. What a chess match those will be.

So with that in mind I vote for Bowles to take over for the Rams someday so we can have these matchups twice yearly and I just don’t have the same feelings against the Rams as the others in our division.

Thanks clssylssy for giving me the vision of red on red. Thanks JTDG for giving me some visions of possible future realities.

21. By azdesertrat1953 on Nov 13, 2014 | Reply

Does anyone even know if the man Wants to be a HC?
    If so, when?
    Next year?
    Maybe, a lot depends on that, and it has not happened, Yet, Feb. 2015 for one.

When BA is no longer here? When ever that happens, because it will at some point.
    Then you have to look at Todd Bowles if he is still here when BA says that’s enough.
    But then you have to ask your self, what if Mr. Todd Bowles just Likes his job as DC with the AZ Cardinals as is, for the next…..

All I know for sure is, the Cards are 8 an 1.

By the way, could the Media be informed that the Whole Dang Team is Full of MVP’s, every week, starting with the HC!

Lets Go!!

GO CARDS!!!

22. By Dynosoar on Nov 13, 2014 | Reply

The best part, BA chose his staff and at least in Bowles case said he would be a HC in this league. Since he believes this and as good as Bowles has been coaching, who does he replace him with. We know BA already has someone in mind if BA leaves.

Obviously we don’t know who that is and there’s no use speculating, just comforting to know BA sees farther into the future than right now and plans for it.

That’s what I liked about Whiz, he had a plan. His downfall, he couldn’t execute it.

BA has a plan and is executing the plan. I’m riding high with this news and this team.

23. By Dynosoar on Nov 13, 2014 | Reply

Sweep the East (check)
    Sweep the West (2 down, 4 to go)
    Home Filed advantage in February! (still probable)
    Keep the Lombardi at home (we won’t need to bring it home, still probable)

24. By LadyBird04 on Nov 13, 2014 | Reply

Wonderful news! I’m sure everyone at the facility from ownership down to the players and assistant coaches are thrilled for him and the team.

Now, here is my conspiracy theory (you know what they are worth) – Arians is in his 60’s – this contract for Bowles goes through ’17 – Arians might want to retire sometime after he wins a super bowl or two – maybe a wink, wink, there is a succession plan in the works… Wouldn’t that be nice.

Now, I don’t want to insinuate I want Arians to leave, I love his coaching style and especially enjoy his quotes, this is just a hmmmm?

25. By rick on Nov 13, 2014 | Reply

This is awesome news for us Cardinal fans as this team starting from the owner is showing all of us that we not only want to be super bowl contenders but be a true classy franshise that reward our players and coaches for a job well done. I am proud to be a fan of this amazing team. RISE UP RED SEA!!!

26. By Big Ken on Nov 13, 2014 | Reply

@ Darren Interesting, I don’t think Arians considered anyone else. Not surprising thou with BA’s instincts and knowledge.

27. By georgiebird on Nov 13, 2014 | Reply

Is the $16 mil in your hypothetical guaranteed? Your $4mil # for new HCs is right on target- have you been looking?
    Cards went 40 years from Coryell to Arians before they got it right.
    Guys will always go for the carrot in any profession-that’s what keeps the Peter Principle a timeless one.
    Between you, me and the lamppost, TB is not HC material. As was not Jim Hanifan, Gene Stallings, Joe Bugel, Dave McGinnis, Buddy Ryan, Vince Tobin, and the Whiz. I reserve judgment on Denny ” they are who we thought they were” Green.
    In order for the Peter Principle to work with assistants, there is the corollary proclaimed in the famous words of the legendary promotor, PT Barnum, possibly speaking of NFL owners.

28. By Darren Urban on Nov 13, 2014 | Reply

Georgie —

RE: Guaranteed

Coaches contracts are always guaranteed. Unlike players.

29. By Patrick Hoog aka Don't Take Losses on Nov 13, 2014 | Reply

Sure Bowles could pass “it” up, many have passed on a large contract for something that matters more. For Tillman it was his love of country, for Bowles it could be for love of job situation and a happy family situation. Not everyone aspires to maximize income when a few million can do nicely in a great job and happy life … so we’ll see. Likely he’ll be offered, we aren’t the only geniuses that can figure out how good he is.

30. By georgiebird on Nov 13, 2014 | Reply

So impressed with BASK. Even if you and me were on the coaching staff, the Cards would still win a Whiz amount of games.

31. By Scott H on Nov 13, 2014 | Reply

Oh, man, this is AWESOME!!! THAT is how you show your commitment to keeping a winning team together – start by keeping the coaches here! As much as I credit Keim and Michael Bidwell for getting this done ( and getting it done NOW), I have to say I am a little surprised ( not to mention thrilled ) that Bowles went for this. I mean, I don’t know what his aspirations are and maybe he does not want to be a head coach OR just not yet. But we ALL know there was gonna be interest in him this off-season because of the SUPERB job he has done with this defense AND his being African American. He could easily have had a HC job for 2015 if he wanted one.

Maybe he wants to stay in what is a GREAT situation for him right now, maybe he knows he has a good thing going here.

Whatever the reasons, I don’t care! This is a tremendous move toward the immediate future of this team. Way to go, front office, for getting this done!

Great news for the Cardinals! REALLY bad news for the rest of the NFC West!!!

32. By Scott H on Nov 13, 2014 | Reply

Eric G –

So, you’re saying….Yes?

33. By Eric G on Nov 13, 2014 | Reply

Here’s to hoping only the Raiders and Jaquars offer him a HC job. I think he’d quickly turn both down. Raiders organization is a mess, and he won’t get enough money to spend on players in Jax. I could see the Jets offering big money if they finally do what they should have done two years ago.

Let’s enjoy the ride for now. Go Cardinals!

34. By CreditCard on Nov 13, 2014 | Reply

Not sure if Bruce Arian, Steve Kiem, and / or Mike Bidwill came up with the idea to renew Bowles contract — I guess it really doesn’t matter. What does matter is that this organization is proactive. It really shows us fans, that the organization really wants to be a winner, not just this year, but also in the future.

Congrats Cards organization, I think throughout the league the Cards are turning heads in more ways than just on the field of play

35. By cards62 on Nov 13, 2014 | Reply

JTDG and others

I think Bruce A. likes having the keys to the shop and seems very happy with his job and relationship with his bosses. I think he found the fountain of youth in Arizona so I do not see him leaving anytime soon and I am okay with that.Very very okay with that.

Concerning Smith with the Falcons I think he survives this year. Good relationship with the owner and he is a good coach.

I am glad he wishes his coaches will be promoted and I love that he pays a little less to position coaches but has many more of them. Great strategy. More coaches more teaching and more chances to find coaching gems.

Lot of good points made by all on Bowles and I do hope he and Goodwin stays for at least 2 more years as I really like this winning and man do I want all of us to have a Super Bowl Trophy.

Go Cards beat the Lions.

36. By John The Draft Guy on Nov 14, 2014 | Reply

Dynosoar;

“Thanks JTDG for giving me some visions of possible future realities”

Why do I feel like Rufus (George Carlin) on Bill and Ted’s excellent adventure?

Be good to one another and Party on !!

37. By Dynosoar on Nov 14, 2014 | Reply

from time to time I see someone who’s posted an image or a video clip on this comments board. How do I do this? I’ve only once or twice over the years thought I had an image that would add to discussion (and have one now), but think knowing how may be good knowledge. Thanks.

So looking forward to this matchup between Peterson/Cromartie and Johnson/Tate. This is the kind of game we watch football for and may be a preview of the final January game this season.

38. By Darren Urban on Nov 14, 2014 | Reply

Dyno —

RE: Video clip

It’s usually youtube. If you just drop the embed code in the comment, it’ll pop up.

39. By Dynosoar on Nov 14, 2014 | Reply

JTDG,

Dude! I remember that show and am not sure I want to feel like Bill or Ted. (Insert a most excellent laugh.)

40. By Dobie on Nov 14, 2014 | Reply

This game the offence Line as to bring it up a notch the Lions defense is a killer and Cards defense needs to kick butt too

41. By Matt France on Nov 15, 2014 | Reply

Thanks for much more for the Arizona cardinals wearing the all Red unifroms because it was just my 1st time for see that to there too