Cards pop up in Pro Bowl votes – but not Campbell

Posted by Darren Urban on November 14, 2014 – 10:30 am

Four Cardinals have appeared among the top 10 at their positions in the first release of Pro Bowl voting this season. Andre Ellington is ninth among running backs (ahead of LeSean McCoy at No. 10), Patrick Peterson is sixth among cornerbacks, Justin Bethel is seventh for special teamers, and rookie Chandler Catanzaro is fifth among kickers.

No Fitz, although he’s just now starting to round into form, and no Antonio Cromartie, who is playing well. And no Calais Campbell.

I know Campbell missed two games and doesn’t have eye-popping numbers. But he was a star against the Rams last week, and at this point in his career, it would be a shame if he didn’t get more attention as a Pro Bowl candidate. Not that Campbell really is thinking about it.

“This time of year I don’t pay too much attention to it,” Campbell said. “I just want to do what it takes to win the game, and typically that means (I) play well. Pro Bowl comes with playing well. … I hope I get to avoid playing in the Pro Bowl because we are playing in the Super Bowl. That’s my ultimate goal. But you do want recognition when you are playing well.”

Of course, then Campbell downplays how he has done, noting his missed games and the knee that isn’t going to be quite right all season, even as he plays at a high level.

“I just can’t wait to be healthy so I can try to take over a game,” Campbell said. “We need a big play, and I want to be able to dig deep and come up with the big play.”

To vote for the Pro Bowl, click here or go to http://www.azcardinals.com/fan-zone/official-2015-pro-bowl.html.

CampbellSackDanceUSE

Tags: , , , , ,

19 Responses to “Cards pop up in Pro Bowl votes – but not Campbell”

1. By UK Cards Fan on Nov 14, 2014 | Reply

Campbell never going to a probowl is an injustice

2. By clssylssy on Nov 14, 2014 | Reply

It seems kinda early for ProBowl voting (where has the season gone?) and I think most fans are just focused on team performance from week-to-week, rather than individual players. Also, I think the fantasy football crowd gets into individual stats etc.and represent a different demographic, whereas the football fans are savoring the games as they come. Things will pick up for the ProBowl as the regular season starts coming to an end. We have so much talent things could still change before the time comes, but in some cases potential vote geters aren’t even on the ballot (John Brown, Tyrann Mathieu)?

3. By Patrick Hoog aka Don't Take Losses on Nov 14, 2014 | Reply

Urb: thx for link, CC ballot stuffer!

4. By Richard S on Nov 14, 2014 | Reply

He’s a big enough star, if I had to pick a Cardinal jersey to buy now, it would be his. The only Cardinal jersey I own now is a Leinart jersey that I bought at his first start in Arizona against KC, after driving from the SF Bay area to attend the game. I was so impressed by Leinart in the game, I told my son that he’d win more games than he’d lose. I tried to get a Dockett jersey at the time, but they were all gone. The system I use to rate teams and predict game winners has finally eclipsed all of the ex jocks on Inside the NFL. The system has now correctly picked 99 games, while Phil Sims has dropped to 2nd place with 98, Ed Reed is at 96 and Boomer is at 93. The system has a chance of picking up another game as all 3 ex professionals pick the Lion defense to lead the Lion’s to victory, while my system says the Cardinals should win by 6.72 points.

5. By Scott H on Nov 14, 2014 | Reply

I am very proud to know that we have players ( I know Fitz would be one, sounds like Campbell is another ) who are clearly more dedicated to TEAM success than individual honors. Shoot, ask Fitz if he would rather be in Hawaii at Super Bowl time or right here at home – playing a home game at UoP! We know the answer!

Our guys know which Bowl they would rather play in.

6. By John The Draft Guy on Nov 14, 2014 | Reply

I bought my Pro Bowl tickets already. Hope to see a few cards.

If it is just for fun anyways, would love to Larry on one team and PP going against him. (since team captains pick teams).

Give the home town crowd something and vote them both in. Who cares the numbers. For that matter, Campbell too.

7. By clssylssy on Nov 14, 2014 | Reply

It seems that they have added John Brown to the ballot as well as Drew Stanton. Still, this seem almost like an unneeded distraction at this point.

8. By D on Nov 14, 2014 | Reply

Darren-curious on this player AZ signed from the Steelers PS and I assume have to put on the active roster, he appears like he might have potential, but are they doing this because they may have another D Lineman going on IR?
    Thanks

9. By Darren Urban on Nov 14, 2014 | Reply

D —

RE: IR

I do not expect anyone to go on IR.

10. By tyman on Nov 14, 2014 | Reply

No Cro or Campbell…What a joke.

11. By georgiebird on Nov 14, 2014 | Reply

No Larry Foote and the Cards are an 8-1 team. Ellington and PP have had sub par years but they are listed.
    My pro bowl team passes the eye test. I know the Cards players I have confidence in and those players that I worry about.

12. By John The Draft Guy on Nov 14, 2014 | Reply

Scott H

FYI- The pro bowl is here in Arizona this year. It is a week before the super bowl.

Got my pro bowl ticket and I am waiting on the super bowl lottery (season ticket holders in past have been put in lottery to be drawn for super bowl tickets)

It would be awesome if no cards were in the pro bowl. That means they are too busy getting ready for the game the next week.

13. By Big Ken on Nov 14, 2014 | Reply

Josh Mauro was showing up in a lot of mock drafts going to the Cardinals in the late rounds. A bit of a project, maybe he can show something at this point of the season. Compared to Brett Kiesel.

14. By Lee W. Flanagan on Nov 14, 2014 | Reply

It’s tough for the Cardinals to get many Pro Bowl candidates because they never get much respect from the NFL league office. They are just now getting noticed because the league feels they have to. It took a Super Bowl run with Kurt Warner to get noticed and produced the highest ratings of all time. If the league would choose to promote the storyline that has developed with the Cardinals, we would see great strides with Pro Bowl selections. Instead they promote such stories like the Tony Romo injury which overshadowed anything the Cardinals have done thus far.

15. By John Olson on Nov 14, 2014 | Reply

it is ok none of the cards will be eligible since they will be getting ready for a rematch with the Broncos in the super bowl

16. By geggam on Nov 15, 2014 | Reply

Vote Early. Vote Often.

17. By Scott H on Nov 15, 2014 | Reply

JTDG –

Good! That way, Larry doesn’t have to go anywhere!

18. By Scott H on Nov 15, 2014 | Reply

Richard S –

Dude…you haven’t found a jersey that was worth owning since Matt Leinart??? Seriously??? Fitz….Warner….Boldin….Wilson….any of these names ringing a bell? Any of them would have been a great jersey to have and would have been well worth the price.

Damn, man….where you been for the last 10 years???

I have a Leinart jersey, too. Shame of it is, it is one of the best quality jerseys I have. Too bad it never gets worn. Honestly, I had a SB party at my place when the Cards played the Steelers in Feb 2009. A friend of mine wore that jersey as a show of support for me. That was the last time anyone wore that one!

I have jerseys for Aeneas Williams, Jake Plummer, even an old Roy Green jersey that I still wear sometimes because you can be proud of those players and what they did as Cardinals. Matt Leinart? Not so much.

I DO need to get a Tillman jersey. That would be the one I would buy right now.

2. Nov 26, 2014: Cardinals Blogs | Both Peterson, Cro crack Pro Bowl top 10