Fitzgerald MCL sprain, but still could play

Posted by Darren Urban on November 17, 2014 – 1:27 pm

Bruce Arians is optimistic that wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald, who suffered a Grade 2 MCL sprain Sunday on his left knee, will still be able to play Sunday. Fitzgerald hurt the knee near the end of the first half, but he came back in the second half to play and made the game-clinching first-down catch. He still played 56 of a possible 62 offensive snaps. Fitz is the type of guy who doesn’t miss — he’s played through knee injuries before. At the end of the preseason and the start of the regular season, Fitz was dealing with a sprain in his right knee. He hasn’t missed a game since Dec. 2, 2007. That’s 110 straight regular-season games.

The news wasn’t nearly as optimistic for tight end Troy Niklas. He had the same ankle that kept him out a few games earlier this season get rolled up again, and Arians said he’s doubtful for this week and that the team will monitor the injury. There is a possibility he could end up being done for the season. Darren Fells becomes the third tight end behind John Carlson and Rob Housler for now.

FitzMCLuse

Tags: ,

37 Responses to “Fitzgerald MCL sprain, but still could play”

1. By Dynosoar on Nov 17, 2014 | Reply

I’d love to see what Fells could bring. Next man up. (I’m looking forward to a healthy Niklas, he has shown talent and would love to see him be injury free. This has to be frustrating to him.)

2. By rod on Nov 18, 2014 | Reply

Take a thumbs down away and add a thumbs up, I hit the wrong deal, it’s early.

I want Fells too!

3. By ryan on Nov 17, 2014 | Reply

Does Fitz need to rest the knee for now? Ya- he came back out and played the second half but is it worth it to possibly lose him for the season?

4. By Dynosoar on Nov 17, 2014 | Reply

Sir60,

Thanks. That was awesome funny. I hope you liked my Bold Predictions. hat was fun to write.

As to the optimist/pessimist, I like to look at things with a sureness of success while at the same time face the brutal facts of the situation.

The brutal facts are, we took away the run game for Dallas, last week we took away the passing game for the Lions. We didn’t let their defense get settled until we we’re ahead.

We have taken away the strength of most every team we’ve played. the composure for the 49ers. We made Foles throw the ball. Seattle should be nervous.

Honestly, are we really that worried that our team is playing to the level of our opponents or not taking any of them seriously? Every week we have a game plan in place that takes away the strength of every team so far (The Lions have had a sack in every game, except ours).

And what killed us against Denver, lack of a pass rush. If we face them again, we have that now (at least two weeks worth of a real good one). Bring on anyone and with most we win, with the best, we’ll give them the best game of the season.

Sorry I’m rambling. Without br in nc, someone has to and according to all my friends, I’m more than qualified. I’m real excited. We Have Arguably The Best Team In The Entire League Right Now, are on our way to home field advantage throughout the playoffs AND For The Super Bowl.

What more can we ask for? This team is controlling there own destiny.

The Lombardi trophy or nothing at all!

5. By Scott H on Nov 17, 2014 | Reply

My lord, when I saw the words MCL and Fitzgerald right next to each other. I damn near screamed. What the hell else is this team gonna have to overcome???? E-NUFF, already!

Good ( no, make that GREAT ) to see that Fitz was able to play on and to know that the expectation is that he will be good to go for Sunday. Fitz should be rested during the week this week, every week if necessary, if that is what it takes. I’m sure he will want to do everything he normally does, that’s part of the reason I love the guy as much as I do, but….at this point in his career and at this point in THIS season, it’s not like he needs to push it in practice.

6. By NJAzCardsFan on Nov 17, 2014 | Reply

The NFL Analyst “Experts” picked the Packers as the Best team in the NFL this week…. Keep in mind these same Analyst picked the Lions over the Cards.
    My take on this, is two thingsL
    1) NFL Analysts are overpaid idiots.
    2) Despite being 9-1, the Cards are still the “Rodney Dangerfield” team of the NFL…. They just don’t get any respect….
    And they will keep on winning……

7. By TucsonTim on Nov 17, 2014 | Reply

OMG! MNFB is dying to even mention the “Cardinals” word while salivating over the “Red Hot Aaron Rodgers”

I love that Drew Brees admitted, “We’re 4 and 6 and you are what your record says you are.” So we’re 9 and 1 and it’s an inconvenient truth in the NFL.

OK, the Cardinals are so hated that even when someone on the network says something good about them they have to apologize first. Good. I hope our guys take it all the way to the SB.

What a team.

8. By TucsonTim on Nov 17, 2014 | Reply

BTW if Larry needs a rest then another great receiver, the “other Brown”, can just step up and do his thing.

9. By T. Stone on Nov 17, 2014 | Reply

NJAzCardsFan

RE: Respect? From Analyists?

They do the same thing we do. Except they get paid well for it. Patriots are done after week two? Packers…Whats wrong? The difference teams only get Respect if you can Consistantly win. Not over a season and a half, but for years. You dont get anybody questioning the Pack or Pats or Denvers wins. Only the teams, like the Cardinals that have 9+ game losing streaks in the last couple of years.

It’s ok. Its changing thank God.

But as I have posted before. This is what they say. Cards only beat the Chargers and Giants because it was early, No big deal that the Chargers beat the Seahawks, We beat Dallas only because Romo was out, and the Niner game was in AZ. All Talk, All Crap. Now the Cardinals are the Chiefs of Last year? Ok. We will See about that.

10. By Brandon on Nov 17, 2014 | Reply

Hey darren,
    Do you think we will resign acho and cromartie?

11. By Darren Urban on Nov 17, 2014 | Reply

Brandon —

RE: Re-signing

I could see both returning, but I’m not sure what they could get on the open market. Cro especially could be this year’s Dansby.

12. By Scott H on Nov 17, 2014 | Reply

NJAzCardsFan –

First, I will forever wish I had picked that name for myself!

Second, see my entry under the Getting Defensive blog for my thoughts on this if you’re interested. Ya know what? Who cares at this point if anyone else gets it or not? That ain’t gonna spoil my fun!

13. By CreditCard on Nov 17, 2014 | Reply

Fitz’ flexibility is something of pure marvel. The fact that he is so flexible (which is hard to do with weight training) allows for hits like these to be minor injuries vs. operational repairs in the emergency room.

Niklas — dang, I thought he Niklas was starting to come around. Good blocking skills and can catch the ball. Dang. and double dang.

14. By T. Stone on Nov 17, 2014 | Reply

Niklas + ground = Cnina Doll Broken. Hope he rebounds like M. Stafford did. Wasted Pick.

15. By Richard S on Nov 17, 2014 | Reply

Arizona moves up two slots from #8 to #6 following week 11’s games. After week 10, the system has predicted one more game correct than any of the Inside the NFL experts. System 99, Phil Sims 98, Ed Reed 96 and Boomer Esiason 93. Week 11 was not kind to the system with many upsets. The system picked only 8 of 14 correctly. Still 66.46% for the year or 107/161. System rankings after week 11 on neutral field. Add 3 points to home team for predicted results of this weeks games. Seattle favored to win by 3.69 points with 3 point home field advantage. San Fran favored to win by 13.31 over Wash. San Fran should only lose one more game and that’s at Seattle the rest of the way. 1. NE 103.04 2. Gbay 99.93 3. Denver 98.37 4. KC 97.39 5. Seatl 97.38 6. AZ 96.69 7. SF 95.77 8. Mia 95.09 9. Indy 94.66 10. Phil 94.44 11. Balt 94.03 12. NO 93.86 13. Cincy 92.95 14. Det 92.71 15. Dall 92.05 16. Pitt 91.57 17. Rams 90.83 18. SD 90.44 19. Atl 89.8 20. Buff 89.55 21. Hou 88.88 22. Carolina 87.7 23. Cle 87.04 24. Giants 86.66 25. Minn 86.6 26. Jets 84.57 27. Tampa 84.37 28. Chi 84.33 29. Wash 82.46 30. Tenn 82.27 31. Oak 81.22 32. Jax 79.42. This may or may not be the last rating for a while as next week, I’ll be getting ready for a knee implant caused by an old flag football injury (cartilage removal) from 43 years ago that has been worn down to bone on bone. I might be able to put one more out, we’ll see if I have time for next week and how I feel the following weeks as all I know for sure is the doc said to keep my knee elevated afterwards.

16. By superbowlcards on Nov 18, 2014 | Reply

Richard S —

After we beat Seattle this week is this “system” of yours finally going to put us ahead of the Seahawks, where we should have been weeks ago??
    Cardinals cant even get the respect they deserve from their own fans!! Your system does realize we are 9-1,right??

17. By kauaicardsfan on Nov 17, 2014 | Reply

Talk about no respect, I was watching NFL network and for 2 weeks now Brian Baldinger kept saying how good our secondary is, praising Cro,PP, Honey Badger, and Rashad Powers??? Thats how much they know our team, they dont even get the names right for 2 weeks now!!!
    Thats why they cannot even give a good analysis on our team, they dont even know who’s back there?
    SMH
    Thats okay as long as we keep winning I could care less what they say!!!
    GO CARDS!!!

18. By Brad on Nov 18, 2014 | Reply

The Buccanon interview this week made me think what a valuable pick PP was and what an amazing accomplishment from Keim to get Cromartie, it’s not just about their play, but also the knowledge they pass down to the youngsters, really happy with the culture in Big Red!

19. By Eazy E on Nov 18, 2014 | Reply

Oh thank God! No Mas injuries! #Blessing

20. By Big Ken on Nov 18, 2014 | Reply

I with Tucson Tim, rest Larry and let the ‘other’ WR named Brown play. BA was saying recently it was hard to get him on the field. Lets just him a chance, next man up!

21. By jwoodaz on Nov 18, 2014 | Reply

re: t.stone
    Really wasted pick? Everybody gets hurt in this league, it’s what and how that determines length of missed time. That kid will rule in the next seasons to come. I want to say some things about your brain but I won’t. I suppose Dockett is a wasted pick too? Mark my words, oh yeah Fells is a beast too, and he is third now on depth chart…Birds of a feather and all that, go CARDS!!

22. By clssylssy on Nov 18, 2014 | Reply

This is what I was afraid of, only I expected Ellington to be the one injured, not Fitz! He is like Superman and we need him now more than ever as we go into this meat grinder stretch. He knows Seattle better than anyone and has proven before he can handle their size and physicality. I am so glad that he takes such good care of himself year around and know that will make a huge difference in his ability to continue to last the rest of the year, This is what he has lived for since those remaining seconds of that Superbowl in which many of us became frozen in time. I know he is smart about taking care of his body and will hopefully find a way as he is a man of faith which will help him face this test and strengthen his resolve. It’s really a shame that Troy Niklas was just starting to pick up some momentum and has had this re-injury, perhaps he wasn’t ready to get back out there quite yet as ankles can be difficult, especially with soft tissue issues, weight bearing and haviing to maneuver cuts, etc. At least he seems to have gotten a good start his rookie year.
    This is a time that will surely test our metal but, if we don’t get ahead of ourselves beyond this game, and continue on with BA’s formula of one week/game at a time, we should be able to be successful. We have shown to be a good road team which will be critical. I’m not so naive as to believe we’re a lock. The 9ers are getting Aldon Smith and Navarro Bowman back and these guys are difference makers. The Pack just put a fifty burger on another top five team and Rogers is on fire plus, growing up in Arrowhead I would NEVER count the Chiefs out of anything as they are playing like they did in the 80’s with Marty Shottenherimer, and the Rams, while not really a wildcard threat could really ruin our plans for HFA–any of these teams could. So, prayers for the wounded and player safety and thanks for such great coaches.
    This is a magical time and I just want to enjoy the ride one week at a time. Who cares what the “experts” think, there is no denying this is the best team in the NFL to watch…they make football fun again! On to Seattle, we already found the roadmap to success, just need to adjust to road conditions!

23. By superbowlcards on Nov 18, 2014 | Reply

We still have to play the Chiefs, but they have no WR’s to speak of, and our run defense is amazing, we just have to stop 2 fine RB’s in the Chiefs case.

24. By G Witt on Nov 18, 2014 | Reply

So let those so called football experts keep picking against us. Let them keep making us the underdog. Makes them look not so smart. We know what we are up against. It’s hard to change people’s opinions. As Cardinal Fans we know what we have in BA & Company. Lets go and BBQ some Sea Chickens this Sunday. Go Cards!!

25. By blaxabbath on Nov 18, 2014 | Reply

Darren-

Off topic, we’ve been hearing a lot about Marshawn Lynch’s issues in SEA. Out of curiosity (obviously ARI isn’t getting Lynch in a division trade), do you think BA would want to coach a personality like Lynch? He doesn’t have a reputation as a complete diva or being unreliable but he’s reportedly wearing thin on his second franchise. Just wondering — do you think Lynch’s personality would be considered a deal breaker with the HC?

26. By Darren Urban on Nov 18, 2014 | Reply

Blax–

RE: Lynch

I don’t see them going after an older back who does act like a diva more often than you’d like.

27. By Scott H on Nov 18, 2014 | Reply

superbowlcards –

Hey, bro! Look, let’s not get crazy with what we “just have to do” to beat the Chiefs. The Seahawks have a pretty damn good run defense themselves and the Chiefs just ran them out of the damn building! And that was with the same lack of WR’s that you are claiming will be such a non-factor when we play them.

Let’s reel it back in and just focus on the Seahawks this week! Russell Wilson is one of the best QB’s we will play this year in terms of just being able to make plays that pick up first downs and keep drives moving. HIS running ability scares the hell out of me. And Marshawn Lynch is still among the best in the business right now. So….let’s not look ahead to Jamaal Charles yet!

28. By T. Stone on Nov 18, 2014 | Reply

jwoodaz

RE: T. Stone’s (My) Brain

Damn it jwoodaz,, for all I know, you could be a descendent Freud and I just missed out on some free Psychoanalysis.

If you are, let it rip next time. I am anxious to hear. If you are not however, just do what everyone else does. Let it rip anyway.

29. By NJAzCardsFan on Nov 18, 2014 | Reply

Brad:

IIRC….Keep in mind at the beginning of the season, no one wanted Cromartie… That is why Kiem got him at a bargain rate. Cro had injury issues with his hip last season….

30. By Lee W. Flanagan on Nov 18, 2014 | Reply

Darren, I have a question a little off topic but still about Fitzgerald. Why are many still commenting,(on when Larry Fitzgerald getting the first down just before the two minute warning), or eluding that the first down could or should have been challenged by the Lions if the Lions had a challenge left? Doesn’t anyone catch the fact that the yellow first down line on the TV was misplaced? The Cardinals started from the 40 not the 41. Fitzgerald got close to the open to 49.

31. By Darren Urban on Nov 19, 2014 | Reply

Lee —

RE: Challenge

Well, it was moot because the Lions had no timeouts left and on that side of the 2-minute warning, they needed a timeout to challenge in case they lost it.

But you point is also moot in a way, because the Lions lose if there is a first down there. Winning the challenge or not, they could’ve at least tried to have a last gasp. (I don’t know know about the yellow line but IMO it was close enough to measure.)

32. By Lee W. Flanagan on Nov 18, 2014 | Reply

Correction on my last post should have been “opponents” instead of “open”

33. By Kevin S Mesa on Nov 19, 2014 | Reply

Lee,

It worked to our advantage but that’s one aspect of the challenge rule I don’t like. Yeah, I know, it’s up to the team to make sure they still have a timeout left. But it just doesn’t seem right that Detroit does the right thing (using its remaining timeouts pre-2 minute warning) and then gets potentially hosed by a bad spot which is a crapshoot anyway for the refs. Of course they should’ve still had one TO left if they hadn’t wasted one early in the half, but still… Even with the challenge rule, and even with all close plays inside of 2 minutes being reviewed and all turnovers and all scoring plays, it just shows you that we’re still at the mercy of the referees’ judgment to a large extent in this game. Maybe that rule needs to be changed to the last 4 minutes or something (at least for the end of game, not end of half).

34. By Kevin S Mesa on Nov 19, 2014 | Reply

By the way, one thing I’ve always thought that could speed up the game… why not do away with measurements entirely? Wherever the ball is on first down, just say that the team needs to get to the next yard line that is at least 10 yards from where the ball is initially spotted. So if on first down you’re right on the 26 yard line, you need to make it to the 36. But if you’re a foot or two past the 26, you need to make it to the 37. Given that spotting the ball is somewhat arbitrary anyway, it’s not like it would make a big difference if a team needed to get 10 1/2 yards or so in some cases instead of 10 for the next first down. And this way, the spot you had to get to would always be definitive — a yard marker.

35. By Scott H on Nov 19, 2014 | Reply

Darren –

At mid-week, how does it look for Fitz? Is he practicing? Full? Limited?

Outlook for Sunday, if there is any feel for that right now?

36. By Darren Urban on Nov 19, 2014 | Reply

Scott H —

RE: Fitz

Arians called him “iffy” for Sunday.

37. By Scott H on Nov 19, 2014 | Reply

D-

Yeah, saw that right after I asked the question. Well,….hey, lots of players are “iffy” at the middle of the week at this point in the season and lots of them end up playing on Sunday, so…there’s hope. Better to leave the Seahawks feeling un-certain about Fitz, anyway.

In your humble / expert opinion, has there been a bigger game than this since the 2009 playoffs? I would say no. Not an elimination game and I don’t know that winning clinches anything for them, but…really, a win puts them so far to the inside track, that NOT winning the division would be difficult to believe.

Oh, I see the 49ers have the mighty Redskins standing ( or, should I say lying? ) in their path on Sunday….yeah, that should be a tough one, huh?