Keim: It’s about being proactive and aggressive

Posted by Darren Urban on November 17, 2014 – 8:09 am

General Manager Steve Keim didn’t have a whole lot of newsy things to say during his weekly appearance on the “Doug and Wolf” show on Arizona Sports 98.7, but that’s probably a good thing. He did talk a little bit about giving the contract extension to defensive coordinator Todd Bowles — who just happened to have his unit play excellent in the first game since signing.

Keim said Bowles had obviously earned it. But bigger picture, Keim said the mindset he and the new football staff had when being hired was that with every decision “we wanted to be proactive and we wanted to be aggressive, to change the culture.” That means locking up quality assistants. Keim reiterated that it won’t (and can’t) stop Bowles from taking a head coaching job after the season. But, Keim added, in talking with Bowles on the subject, “I know it will take a special opportunity for him to leave us.”

Other quick hits from Keim:

— Asked to pick one player who stood out against the Lions, Keim didn’t hesitate in naming cornerback Patrick Peterson. Peterson’s play has no doubt jumped over the past three games. Now we get Richard Sherman week!

— Keim raved about the physical nature of safety Deone Bucannon’s play. I know there was one early running play, when the Cards were in nickel and Bucannon just shot the gap to make a tackle for loss. An excellent effort.

— With two more sacks, linebacker Alex Okafor has “brought a pass rush we’re desperately seeking,” Keim said. Keim added Okafor has “probably missed four or five” more sacks the last few games on technique errors that he should clean up.

— The pass protection was excellent, Keim said, and he praised the interior of the offensive line for their play against a stellar defensive front. That was a big deal after the microscope was on the interior for the last week.

— Keim noted Larry Fitzgerald was able to come back and play after his knee was “dinged up” and said overall injury-wise, “on the surface it seemed like we came out OK.”

Tags: , , , ,

36 Responses to “Keim: It’s about being proactive and aggressive”

1. By Dynosoar on Nov 17, 2014 | Reply

Suh Who?

2. By Dynosoar on Nov 17, 2014 | Reply

What i like, Bowles said he wasn’t concerned about the pass rush (or lack thereof) at the beginning of the season (if memory if correct), but also stated it needed to improve. Can anyone doubt his genius that after so many losses to his front seven, it took a little while to get it right, but we’ve got to be tops in the league the last two weeks in sacks. (or within the tops)

We are 9-1 and have a struggling Seahawks team next week. Not concerned about Atlanta or even San Francisco. I’m not too concerned about KC either, but the way their playing and with the playoffs in their reach, they may be our toughest opponents left on the schedule. They have something to lose, but they’ll be in our house.

Last year the team lamented Not being in control of their own playoff destiny. This team learned something along that path. They’re firmly in control. Only six games to play it out and with their track record, I’m believing in our Cardinals. (But ya’ll knew I’d say that. Haha!.)

The Lombardi trophy or nothing at all!

3. By kauaicardsfan on Nov 17, 2014 | Reply

Aloha Darren,
    Speaking of contract extensions, do you think they will play out the contract with Cro? I dont want to see him leave like Dansby? The secondary is playing lights out and if this group can stay together a few more years and get more speed rushers we will be the top defense for sure!!!

Lets shock the world again Cards!!!

4. By Darren Urban on Nov 17, 2014 | Reply

Kauai —

RE: Cro

I think they’d like to keep him, but they won’t break the bank.

5. By John The Draft Guy on Nov 17, 2014 | Reply

looking at the NFC, a win this week against the seahawks not only helps us, but could crush the seahawks season. At 6-5, they might be done. expect the hawks to be fighting for their lives.

If the season ended today,

– cards, of course are the number one seed.
    – the falcons are leading their division with a 4-6 record.
    – division leaders, eagles, cards, lions, falcons with wild cards going to packers and dallas. The only team we will not play is pack during regular season. pretty awesome that we beat all the playoff teams (except pack – I’m counting falcons as a win)
    – notice seattle and SF are are out right now.

It would seem the cards have a date in Glendale with the patriots in February.

6. By Lee W. Flanagan on Nov 17, 2014 | Reply

It’s really hard to keep everyone happy in the workplace. It’s nice to see that a boss actually take recognition to employees who actually do good work. Usually, it’s just the opposite. Bosses usually crap on the good employees and demand more from the ones that do good and demand less from the ones that cannot do better even on their best day. Good job to the Cardinals organization! If the NFL wants storyline, this would be a good one…especially when the NFL is going through a transition of negativity.

7. By Dynosoar on Nov 17, 2014 | Reply

Did ya’ll notice we have a QB tied for first place in completion percentage. Ted Ginn Jr. has a 100% completion rate.

I know statistics are Only an indicator, but they Are an indicator.

Stanton is 48.3%, 54.5%, 42.3% (ouch), 60% and 65.6% (yeah) for an overall of 53.6%

He is improving. I am anxious to see how he does against the vaunted “Legion of a quieter boom.” Who will Sherman cover? Fitzgerald, then we’ll throw to Floyd and Brown and Brown. Floyd, then we’ll throw to Fitz and Brown and Brown? Brown, then we’ll throw to Fitz, Floyd, Brown and Brown.

We handled Murray, we can handle Lynch. Will we, I don’t know, but we certainly can and given our track record, we will.

8. By Dynosoar on Nov 17, 2014 | Reply

If the NFL guys can make bold predictions and it’s not smack, can I do the same?

Wilson for four sacks and five picks and one fumble. Lynch is held to 60 yards. Pete swallows his gum on our fourth TD as it goes through Sherman’s grasp.

Stanton for five TD’s to five different receiver’s and Ellington getting two, one from a run and one through the air, one interception and zero sacks. Ellington’s first 100 yard game.

(Individual game results may vary and be more disastrous for Seattle and mightily grander for Arizona than predicted.)

9. By William Barry on Nov 17, 2014 | Reply

One thing I noticed (since fox switched from the Philly/GB game to Cards game) was that Stanton was protected well all day long by our offensive line….and no sacks allowed. P.S. I did see on Cards website, that a defender was in Stanton’s face when he threw the 2nd pass to Floyd for a TD….great job in the face of pressure.

10. By John The Draft Guy on Nov 17, 2014 | Reply

dynosoar,

Beating Seattle in seattle is always a great thing. But I will take a 3-0 win.

What does it take to beat Seattle? Well, what we saw out of Dallas and the Chiefs was running the ball on Seattle. Phillip Rivers did it by hitting his TE Gates, and the rams used trick plays to beat them.

It will be interesting what BA tries to do. Can we run it on them? Can we get Earl Thomas so interested in our WRs that Stanton can have a big day to our TEs.?

It will be interesting but I can tell you one thing, to beat seattle on offense, we must not let beast mode get started and wilson scambling and running. Keep wilson in the pocket and have a spy on him and stop the run, we win.

11. By John The Draft Guy on Nov 17, 2014 | Reply

How does Keim and Coaches like the schedule being back loaded with divisional games?

I know the standard answer of “we just play what is on our schedule” but do they think it adds anything or it is just a schedule.

For instance, the seahawks have 5 of their 6 games against the division, with the eagles thrown in for good measure. We have 4 of the six. Does it keep interest more knowing anything can happen?

Normally, a 3 game lead at this point is way past catching but division games can change that.

12. By Darren Urban on Nov 17, 2014 | Reply

JTDG —

RE: Schedule

Well, the league did start pushing division games later just for that very reason.

I know it’s cliche, but I don’t think they think much about it.

13. By John The Draft Guy on Nov 17, 2014 | Reply

Quietly, Okafor is making a name for himself. He is pretty good at setting the edge for the run but here is a stat for you;

Alex has 5 sacks in 6 starts. Projected over 16 starts, he would have 13 sacks.

(I know, projections are tough. A guy hits a HR in the first game is projected to hit 162 HRs. I get it. But he does have a nice sampling-a little more than a 3rd of a season)

I think we have found one of our two OLBs.

14. By carlo milano on Nov 17, 2014 | Reply

darren but i see bucannon just listed 208,i dont think is his real weight .
    was 211 at combine and probably 208 was in his last season at washington state

15. By Sir60 on Nov 17, 2014 | Reply

He’s the most interesting poster in the world.

He can make a pessimist feel optimistic!

He regularly reports results before they happen!

Dynosoar, the most interesting poster in the world.

Look forward to your posts, keep it up.

16. By Patrick Hoog aka Don't Take Losses on Nov 17, 2014 | Reply

A nice rundown and chart of the playoff picture here:

17. By bernardo on Nov 17, 2014 | Reply

When is the soonest the cardinals can clinch the # seed?

18. By Darren Urban on Nov 17, 2014 | Reply

Bernardo —

RE: Top seed

I haven’t even looked yet.

19. By Dynosoar on Nov 17, 2014 | Reply

Wilson has been sacked 20 times, an average of two per game.

Our three QBs have been sacked for a total of 16 sacks or 1.6 per game.

We have sacked opposing QBs 18 times, 10 of those in the last two games. Okafer, Foot, Williams and Campbell will have their eyes on Wilson.

(We had zero sacks against the “best” defense in the league!

20. By John The Draft Guy on Nov 17, 2014 | Reply

S Deone Bucannon, asked if he saw 9-1 coming at the start of the season: “I’m a rookie. I didn’t see anything coming.”

What a great quote!

21. By John The Draft Guy on Nov 17, 2014 | Reply

Quickest way to clinch,

If the cards beat the Seahawks and Falcons, and the niners lose to either the Redskins or Seattle, it is over.

We will have a 4 game lead over both with 3 games left. Folks, we could clinch the NFC West. The toughest division, with two more wins and a little help.

The niners and hawks play two more times. Someone must lose.

One other thing, does anybody else think, if we beat seattle in seattle, we are going 14-2? Why not 15-1? We rest our starters against the niners and let Logan play.

22. By Tim on Nov 17, 2014 | Reply

So a little off topic, but can Darren Urban can you answer this question for me? Josh Gordon is coming back from his suspension this week. It was originally supposed to be the entire season, then for some reason just because Ray Rice hit his then fiancé, they decided to knock it down to 10 games. Now from the way I understood it, Daryl Washington was suspended for the exact same thing as Gordon. Is there any chance of Washington coming back this year or no? And if not, could you explain what the difference was between them?

23. By Darren Urban on Nov 17, 2014 | Reply

Tim —

RE: Gordon

Well, you are (conveniently) mixing up your facts, No. 1. Gordon and Rice situations had nothing to do with each other. Gordon was originally dinged for drugs at a low level (probably second-hand smoke). The league and PA decided to up the threshhold to make a suspension. Gordon had some games knocked off for that.

Washington is not suspended for the “exact same thing” other than it’s under the same policy. We don’t have the details of DWash. But it’s not the same. He isn’t coming back this year.

24. By Tim on Nov 17, 2014 | Reply

While the Rice and Gordon situations themselves weren’t related, it wasn’t until after the NFL handed Ray Rice only a two hand suspension did people start to say, “So Gordon smokes a little weed and gets suspended for the entire season, but Ray Rice assaults someone and only gets two games?” It wasn’t until after all the public backlash for the obvious ridiculous difference in severity for the two incidents that Gordon’s appeal was even considered. That was basically the entire argument to appeal the amount of games. So in that way the two situations are related (conveniently).

25. By Kevin S Mesa on Nov 17, 2014 | Reply

JTDG

Re: Resting starters

We’re a long way away from that conversation, but that’s what this blog is for, I suppose.

If the Niners had a chance to sneak into the WC with a win against us, then whether I tried hard to win that game would depend on who they’d knock out. If, for example, GB and Detroit were going to battle for the division title the last week and the Niners had a chance to sneak in over GB if GB were to lose to Detroit, I’d definitely be OK with losing that game and keeping GB out of the playoffs. But what other possible playoff teams might we rather keep in the mix over SF, if they were battling for a spot that last week?

One thing’s for sure — it’s very tough right now for our fellow NFC West teams — like you said, SF and Seattle have to play each other twice. If they split (best case scenario for us), neither team can catch us if we go 3-3. Detroit and GB have relatively easy schedules besides playing each other and NE… I could see Detroit going 4-2 and GB going 6-0 or 5-1 from here (or Detroit going 5-1 and GB going 4-2 if Detroit manages to win the finale, but I don’t think that’s happening at Lambeau). Philly and Dallas play each other twice in three weeks, just like SF/Seattle, so we’ll know in a few weeks if there’s going to be one team left standing in the East.

We are so well positioned. It would be great if Detroit could hang on, win all of its games except the NE game, and have a chance to clinch vs. the Pack with a final victory. Forcing GB into a WC situation — a road game at New Orleans or Philly or whatever — would be ideal as they are the biggest threat. The more chances to eliminate them before we’d have to play them, the better.

26. By Dr G on Nov 17, 2014 | Reply

Bowles? What can we say, except that he is a very smooth interview. He made a point that PP is a bit “showman.” That is code for “cool it PP: your immaturity shows a bit too much.” A cherry bomb would not make Bowles flinch.!

With Bowles and Moore on both sides of the ball, we have 2 men who bring wisdom to the team. This is rare in the NFL. All the players and other coaches have to do is…LISTEN & HEED..!! ((I know BA is listening, he went after them.))

If I can observe a bit about the bubble-gummer Pete Carroll, it appears that some of his players are not impressed with his leadership, or lack thereof…not a good sign.. If we rattle him, it flows to his players… GO CARDS…

27. By Dr G on Nov 17, 2014 | Reply

Second-hand smoke! That’s rich…worth a chuckle….

28. By Dr G on Nov 17, 2014 | Reply

It’s kinda fun to prognosticate the playoff standings ((here)) for those who enjoy the quantum possibilities. I may join in, but it is folly before another week or so. I just recall how frustrated we were last year with the Div and Conf records…it was dreadful…. Now, we are driving the train… later

29. By Larry t on Nov 17, 2014 | Reply

What about putting a real running back in the game instead of a scared Ellington

30. By clssylssy on Nov 18, 2014 | Reply

Does anybody really believe that Green Bay won’t take their division after putting a fifty burger on another top 5 team? I just hope we don’t have to play them at Lambeau! Going into Seattle, I’m more concerned about the weather than how our team will play, although if Fitz is out, that could be a difference maker as he has been able to get physical and handle them with more power and agility than anyone even if he’s not the one being targeted for the long TDs. And, our run game certainly isn’t what it was last year…thank God for our amazing defense and special teams! This time of year, that cold northern wind (ever worse freezing rain or sleet) is something our desert birds aren’t familiar with and usually don’t do well in so I’m wondering if the coaches have even bothered to check the forecast or take this into consideration. I’ve sat through those games in freezing rain and sleet and it REALLY messes up your focus when you can’t feel your feet!
    As for the D.Washington thing, I never got the impression that the organization had made any kind of an real effort to get him back and recently read that Dez Bryant had “forgot” and left his baby in a locked car! There doesn’t seem to be any kind of equality before the law in the NFL and seems to be more a matter of the squeaky wheel principal. Our defense has survived and flourished without Washington but it sure would be nice to have that weapon back in our arsenal as our competition gets reloads going into this critical stretch of our schedule.

31. By John The Draft Guy on Nov 18, 2014 | Reply

I think many of you missed a very important line, “If the season ended today”

I wasn’t projecting anything. Could the saints or Panthers, or for that matter, Tampa win that pitiful division? Sure. But today the Falcons are in.

Today the Lions are in over pack. I would say most feel the Pack will win that division, but again, I said if the season ended today.

To Dr G’s point, predicting is fun but folly. If Rodgers goes down, it is over for the Pack. Seattle could catch fire, and I think the niners are up and down and could get hot.

Bottom line; If the season ended today, those teams are in. We would have a team 2 games under .500 (4-6 Falcons) in. While the defending champs are out.

32. By John The Draft Guy on Nov 18, 2014 | Reply

Kevin S Mesa,

I know it is early to talk about resting players. I get it.

I was just saying that, I have a feeling if we win in Seattle this week, we will not lose again. Then I thought, well, if I am 14-1, clinched home field advantage, why not rest my starters? With that train of thought, I thought maybe we go 14-2.

33. By jeffy1951 on Nov 18, 2014 | Reply

Call me superstitious but I wish all you well meaning fans would STOP talking SB. Let’s take them one at a time and let the chips fall where they may. In the mean time, QUIT JINXING THE CARDS !!!!

34. By John The Draft Guy on Nov 18, 2014 | Reply

jeffy1951

Do you really think anything I say has any effect on what the cards do on the field?

I didn’t realize I had that kind of power. OK, let me start jinxing.

The packers are going to the superbowl, The Patriots are going to the superbowl, The Broncos are going to the super bowl, The Eagles are going to the super bowl.
    The cards are just playing one game at a time.

Wow that was close.

35. By Annette F Richters on Nov 21, 2014 | Reply

OK,
    Seattle has only one game outside of the NFC West. All the rest from now on are in our division. The other game is with the Eagles, who may just beat them.

I believe we will score 27 to 30 points.
    Seahawks…………..12 to 14.

JMHO

36. By Annette F Richters on Nov 21, 2014 | Reply

OK,

Can anyone say “Center”. Hasn’t Seattle lost their center? Hard to fill those shoes.