Surgery for Palmer step one in comeback

Posted by Darren Urban on November 18, 2014 – 9:53 am

The journey has a long way to go, but Carson Palmer took the first step toward coming back in 2015 by undergoing surgery Tuesday morning to repair his ACL. Palmer figures to be around the team a lot post-surgery. I wouldn’t think he’d make the trip to Seattle this weekend and Atlanta might be a little quick too, but at some point it makes sense that Palmer — like Darnell Dockett — would accompany the team to games home and away.

UPDATE: The surgery, performed by team doctors Gary Waslewski and Doug Freedberg, went “extremely well” in a statement released by the team.

It was interesting to note last week that while Palmer was waiting to have surgery, he not only was around the team facility every day, but during practice, he was in the weight room, still working out the body parts he could with strength and conditioning coach Buddy Morris. After surgery, he’ll progress the best he can. Dockett has been walking around normally for weeks now after August surgery. Palmer, who understood he faces a long road back, sounded mentally prepared — especially since he dealt with a more grueling rehab back in 2006 when he tore multiple knee ligaments. This time, everyone believes it was just the ACL (although there is always a chance they will find something extra during surgery) so rehab should be a little easier. A little.

“I know one thing and that’s to work hard and grind and get after it, and this won’t be as intense because my knee was locked out for the first six weeks after that surgery,” Palmer said last week. “This surgery, right after surgery you’re supposed to get range of motion back right away and work for that. I’m mentally prepared, I’m mentally strong and I’m going to grind this thing out. I know the mindset you need to take, and that’s the one day at a time thing.

“It’s baby steps and it’s doing calf raises and small, little incremental movements and all these little tedious things that you don’t feel like are doing anything, but you have to do them and you have to do what they tell you to do. You take it one day at a time and I know that and I’m going to grind it out and I’m going to be back, like I said, hopefully by OTAs.”

Even if Palmer comes back at the end of OTAs, that’s early June — or less than seven months. That’s awful quick. But it’s something to shoot for.

RehabBlogUSE

Tags:

31 Responses to “Surgery for Palmer step one in comeback”

1. By PotAsh on Nov 18, 2014 | Reply

Surgery is the first step and the easiest. Obviously, CP3 already knows that 90% of the work is yet to come. Good luck to him and here’s hoping for a full recovery.

2. By William Barry on Nov 18, 2014 | Reply

Darren–once Carson recovers, will he be on the sidelines giving Drew advice and support???? That would really help Drew.

3. By Darren Urban on Nov 18, 2014 | Reply

William —

RE: Palmer

As I said in the post, yes, I believe he will be.

4. By Linda Skinner on Nov 18, 2014 | Reply

Best of luck Carson!!! You are one tough guy and I expect to see you back for next season.

5. By Amir on Nov 18, 2014 | Reply

Best of luck, Carson!

Come back strong… We need you next year!

6. By CardSwagger on Nov 18, 2014 | Reply

We value your leadership keep being a our Captain on our sidelines. I still believe in you Palmer, I hope for a speedy recovery.

7. By ryan on Nov 18, 2014 | Reply

I dont understand the alternate jersey/ alternate uni’s and the flex schedule. I noticed the packers had their ugly throwbacks on last weekend. I thought i remember reading somewhere that everyone had to wear the regular uni’s after week 3 becase of the flex? And 1000 apologies if you have already covered this!

GO CARDS!!!

8. By Dynosoar on Nov 18, 2014 | Reply

He has the same mentality as the team, one day at a time, one game at a time.

I loved in a highlight last Sunday after a touchdown, BA and DD threw arms around each other in excitement. Do other coaches keep players “on the team” by having them there during practice and games like our staff does? I would hope so, it’s brilliant!

And they’re a part of the team still. They have a piece of each win and each loss and hopefully a piece of earning a Super Bowl ring.

Carson, Darnell, others, I believe in next man up. I believe in Drew, but I hated seeing ya’ll out with injury. Looking forward to your returns.

The Lombardi trophy or nothing at all!

9. By rick on Nov 18, 2014 | Reply

Good luck Palmer hope to see you back next season even stronger.

10. By jme on Nov 18, 2014 | Reply

Please come back soon. we need you Palmer all week!!! You are the best!!! This cardinals team is pure team!!!

11. By kauaicardsfan on Nov 18, 2014 | Reply

I know Carson will be there at OTA’s! These Athletes have a great recover rate cause they are all in great shape and they have the best PT and equipment available to them. Took me 6 months to get comfortable again on my second ACL repair and thats with only 3 day a week ( 1 hour) sessions, Carson will have 100 times more attention to his knee and rehab and will be ready to go!!!
    GOD SPEED on the Recover Carson!!!!

12. By Brad on Nov 18, 2014 | Reply

way off subject but what are the chances in going after Tate, or Blount to help boost the run game and give Ellington a break?

13. By Darren Urban on Nov 18, 2014 | Reply

Brad —

RE: RBs

Given both player’s issues inside the locker room, I would doubt it.

14. By LadyBird04 on Nov 18, 2014 | Reply

Prayers and best wishes for a quick recovery – Palmer’s commitment to the Cardinals is exceptional (as most of the players are) and totally appreciated. Being around the team is beneficial to both the team and his recovery. See how much Dockett has been involved this season. Good for Arians and Keim keeping the “team” together even if they are injured.

Look out for next year when we have all our players back and healthy. Also, send good thoughts to Fitz (knee), Troy N. (ankle), Ellington (foot) and all the rest of our injured players.

15. By Andy Kw on Nov 18, 2014 | Reply

Get better Palmer. We will all be here waiting for you to return to the field next season.

16. By jeffy1951 on Nov 18, 2014 | Reply

How can anyone NOT root for Carson in this situation? He’s a much maligned warrior whose presence on the team at the critical QB position has made a HUGE difference in the success of our “easy to root for” team. He’s been classy and composed and a GREAT addition to this team. We should all be thankful that he’s a member of this special group of guys and keep him in our thoughts as we march toward a championship. GO CARDINALS !

17. By superbowlcards on Nov 18, 2014 | Reply

As long as your back before the regular season opener, only if your ready! Dont push/rush anything, we need you for all of next season! Drew Stanton is an awesome back-up, but he is not Carson Palmer!
    Hopefully somebody in the front office is bored and reads this – we need to sign BEN TATE! Clevland has released him, and the Cardinals need to upgrade the running game! Brutal honesty here!! We have a weak running game that is one injury away from disaster!! Ellington Is not a workhorse type RB, Tate would be perfect for 14-18 carries just to take the pressue off of AE, and if Tate is rolling then continue to ride him, Ellington gets much needed rest, not to mention teams would have to stack the box to stop Tate since he is a between the tackles type of RB we just dont have, and despartly need if we want to bring the Lombardi trophy into the trophy case as the home team this year!! Stanton is awesome, but he is no Carson Palmer, he needs a solid run game to open up the passing game, he cant win every game on his arm like Palmer is capable of doing!! Let’s face it, after Andre we are pretty weak at RB!! PLEASE SIGN BEN TATE, HE WILL UPGRADE A WEAK RUNNING GAME!!!
    P.S. If you are going to thumbs down this post because itisnt 100% positive, at least have the balls to reply, tell me our run game is fine as is, and will be enough to win it all, especially if Ellington goes down. Thumbs down with no rebuttal just tells me and others on here that you are not a true Cardinals fan, but just another internet TROLL!! Your wasting your time using either of the thumbs, because in my book just clicking and not responding is nothing more than a troll trying to ruffle my feathers or hurt my feelings, which I have neither!! Just want the Cardinals to win theSUPERBOWL, and do everything in their power to solidify any possible weaknesses the team may have, and even though we are 9-1,they have weaknesses, and RB depth, and a true workhorse is a huge weakness!! Cardinals are one injury at RB away from disaster!!!

18. By Jon on Nov 18, 2014 | Reply

I hope he seeks rehab with the same doctor he worked with in Denver that helped him with his shoulder, and Manning with his neck, cause idk what they are putting in the coffee over there be he came back amazing lol.

In all seriousness though, I always had my doubts about Palmer, but he made a believer out of me, to see him go down broke my heart man. If we take this all the way this year I hope he doesn’t sell himself short, he’ll be just as much a part of that victory as anyone on the team.

For those who think we need to go after Blount or Tate, I don’t think your looking at the whole picture. What Blount did last night was ridiculous, I whole heartedly believe that the attitude this team carries onto the field is just as responsible for their victories as anything they do physically. To bring someone like that into our locker room now would be absolutely poisoneness. This game is just as much mental as it is physical. Leave the trash on the curb where it belongs and carry on, GO CARDINALS!

19. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Nov 18, 2014 | Reply

While there is optimism that a less severe knee injury in 2014 will result in a faster comeback from the more devastating injury Carson suffered in 2006, I’m sure everyone involved in the process realizes that a 35 year old body doesn’t recover as fast as a 27 year old body – regardless of surgical advances. As reported above, it’s great that Carson is trying to keep all his other body parts in shape during recovery. Best of luck on the process, Carson!

20. By G Witt on Nov 18, 2014 | Reply

Have a speedy recovery Carson

21. By azdesertrat1953 on Nov 18, 2014 | Reply

Get Well Carson Palmer.
    Then get them walking shoes on as soon as you can and get back with the Team, I am sure they Miss, Not having you around already.

Lets Go!!

GO CARDS!!!

22. By Lee W. Flanagan on Nov 18, 2014 | Reply

Some of us are a little sensitive when giving our opinions. The running back situation definitely has issues but, I don’t think that it’s all on the running back. I’ve yet to see many holes open up for any running back on a consistent level except maybe outside the tackles. The Cardinals have a good pass blocking line but not so much of a run blocking line. Huge difference in the mentality and blocking aspects. I believe that the Cardinals have developed a pattern of when they are going to run the ball and teams have figured it out. It’s really tough to be good at everything. I believe that come play off time this issue would be a little less of an issue.

23. By georgiebird on Nov 18, 2014 | Reply

I think the doctor, Gary Waslewski, who operated on CP, has a father who pitched for about 6 ML teams including the Cardinals and Yankees. Could you verify?

24. By Darren Urban on Nov 19, 2014 | Reply

Georgie —

RE: Pitcher dad

I can try.

25. By CreditCard on Nov 18, 2014 | Reply

Best of luck to Mr. Carson. The real test time will be three months from now (about the 1st week of March). The weather in the valley will be delightful, Carson Palmer’s knee will feel fine — he has to be real careful in not over-doing it, because of re-injuring the MCL.

Palmer will be back. good luck in rehab, and don’t over do it 3-months from now

26. By Fan in Chi Town on Nov 19, 2014 | Reply

Mr. Palmer, if you are reading these posts, I just want you to know how much we appreciate the work you put in to make this season the success it has been so far. We pray for a full recovery for you man. God bless

27. By Coach K on Nov 20, 2014 | Reply

superbowlcards

Regarding your comment of Drew only being a backup to Palmer. I beg to differ. Stanton during his career was always in the wrong place at the wrong time. Every place he went, a first round quarterback was selected that same year. He was always competing with a top name draft pick early in his career and never got the opportunity to truly compete and develop on a level playing field.

I think now Stanton has an opportunity to show what he has and make his case to be an NFL starter. I fully expect he can take this team to the Superbowl and win it. He has all the tools and he can beat you with his feet as well. That’s something Palmer does not do as well. So if you add the mobility of Stanton to a decent passing arm, Stanton has the tools to get the job done.

Palmer had the better experience, field vision and arm strength. I will give him that, but Stanton’s ability to move and decent arm strength makes defending him easy. He in fact CAN be a quality NFL starter, and if he wins the superbowl, it will be very interesting what happens next year.

Will B.A. bench a superbowl winner?

28. By Kevin S Mesa on Nov 20, 2014 | Reply

Coach K —

I’ll be pulling for Stanton just like you… and yes, he definitely was always in the wrong place (except maybe NYJ, but they decided to dump him to make room for Tebow). And yes, he does some things Palmer can’t do.

But assuming you believe our coaching staff knows what it’s doing, there’s really only one question you need to ask. Why did they go get Palmer when they already had Stanton?

Is he a better backup than a lot of teams have as their backup? Yes. Is he better than some other teams’ starters? Probably. Good enough to win the SB? I hope so. But all superbowlcards is saying is, he’s not Palmer.

2. Nov 18, 2014: Browns cut RB Tate | Newsweep