Fitzgerald to be game-day decision

Posted by Darren Urban on November 21, 2014 – 1:32 pm

It was probably inevitable, but Bruce Arians made it official Friday: WR Larry Fitzgerald, who didn’t practice for a third straight day, will be a game-day decision for the Cardinals in Seattle. There is still 48 hours to get Fitz’s knee right (or at least right enough) and the Cards will take it to the last moment to see what they can do with Fitz. On a purely statistical level, Fitz’s 110-consecutive game streak is on the line. The Cards do not fear Fitz not playing; they are confident in what Jaron Brown can do (as well as Ted Ginn and maybe more Smokey Brown) in Fitzgerald’s absence. Maybe it will be smarter to keep Fitz out. Arians said missing practice is not a big deal for a vet like Fitzgerald, so the door is open there.

If I had to guess right now, I’d think Fitzgerald wouldn’t play, but with Fitz, I’ve been burned there before. He’s going to want to get out there even if he can’t do everything. Maybe the Cards will want him out there just so the Seahawks have to think about him. Maybe the next 36 hours does wonders and he’s better than anyone can anticipate. We’ll see.

Arians did rule defensive tackle Ed Stinson (toe) out. So there’s that.

FitzPrayUSE

Tags: , , ,

11 Responses to “Fitzgerald to be game-day decision”

1. By C on Nov 21, 2014 | Reply

Stinson is a pretty big loss. He’s very quietly (and sometimes not-so-quietly) had a big year on the DL.

2. By louis on Nov 21, 2014 | Reply

if we can/t run its going to be a long day plus the off. line needs to open bigger lanes and protect staton . the playcalling has to get better.

3. By jwoodaz on Nov 21, 2014 | Reply

Yet again Mr. Urban ty and your staff for all the hard work, rock on..
    Ed Stinson has been a boon to this line and kudos to Mr. Kiem and staff as well, keep picking them like this Stinson, and the rest so far, what depth and talent to be assembled. Get right Ed Stinson we need you too.

4. By Scharf on Nov 21, 2014 | Reply

I am really confused. Every article you’ve put out about Fitz’s MCL keeps saying 110 consecutive starts. Yet, every time I hear the news from ESPN, NFL, or even the local guys on the radio they are throwing out the number 71, not 110.

Which number is correct? and why on earth the confusion? lol

5. By Darren Urban on Nov 22, 2014 | Reply

Scharf —

RE: Fitz

I have no idea where 71 comes from. The last game Fitz missed was at the end of 2007. If you take 16 games a season from 2008 to 2013, that’s 96 games alone. Plus 10 this season, plus the last four games of 2007. It’s not hard. I did hear a local reporter mention 71 this week. I’m guessing someone else mistakenly wrote 71 and people copied it? But again, the math isn’t difficult.

6. By Eazy E on Nov 22, 2014 | Reply

While I love and respect how John, Jaron, and Ted can play and has been playing, you need #11!!

7. By louis on Nov 22, 2014 | Reply

this is going to be a big test for the cards sunday how good they really are.

8. By Brad on Nov 22, 2014 | Reply

Louis, bad play calling? At 9-1? One of the reasons we are winning so much us because of game planning and coaching staff. It is obvious they are extremely prepared for games and that will win more games than a few big plays. I disagree that we have had poor play calling.

9. By Johnny Carroll on Nov 22, 2014 | Reply

Geez guys, it is really simple, score more than the seahawks and you are guaranteed a win. You ask how, I will tell you; go after Sherman deep and often, get inside Lynch’s confused head, and follow Wilson with our speed guys. The seahawks are just a few plays away from blowing up. Sherman blowing up and blaming everyone but himself, Lynch getting mad and quitting and Coach Carroll coming out and saying this was his plan all along. Go Cards 10-1 and off to Atlanta.

10. By clssylssy on Nov 22, 2014 | Reply

Have to agree with Eazy E on the receivers and the situation with Seattle. It will be a MAJOR loss to our offense if Fitz can’t play, and I’m not saying the rest of the receivers aren’t capable against your average opponent. However, sometimes it’s not just a matter of plugging in the “next man up” as experience and knowledge of the enemy counts volumes. Nobody on our team has that knowledge like Fitz who has played against them more than anybody, has the size and strength to match Richard Sherman, which he has demonstrated more than once (go to Youtube). I recall when Carson’s shoulder was a game time decision and BA was being asked about the fact that he hadn’t practiced,to which his reply was with a veteran player of his caliber it wasn’t that big of a deal which is now Fitz’s situation.
    There are conflicting reports about the probability of Larry playing and the only doubters I hear are coming out of our organization with the majority of “experts” feeling that if it’s up to Fitz, he’ll play. If Palmer were playing, I would say there would be less doubt but since he’s not Stanton’s go-to guy, that will likely play into the equation. Nonetheless, when the pressure is on and we’re down to the wire (like last week) we need Fitz’s focus and dependability. WE NEED THIS GAME!
    GO CARDS!

11. By Scott H on Nov 22, 2014 | Reply

Clssylssy / Eazy E –

I tend to agree. I think without Fitz, we are suddenly VERY in-experienced at the WR position. That can go either way. I still believe that when Fitz is on the field for the Cardinals, he is the guy other teams focus on first and foremost. He is the guy they KNOW can hurt them, the guy who has the most talent, the guy who can catch the ball all over the field, against whatever coverage you want to put on him, etc.

Then again….all of these other guys – Floyd and the Brown brothers – are so UNKNOWN to other teams ( well, maybe not so much Floyd against the Seahawks because I believe he introduced himself to them last December! ), that maybe they will not have a sense of who does what, how fast they are, etc.

Notice how I didn’t even mention Ginn? That’s because I don’t think other teams do, either. Not as a WR, anyway. Not with how little he’s done this year. Hey, Ted, it’s Week 11….you think maybe we could get another return from ya? Been a while since Week 2 against the Giants….

Whatever. But there can be NO question in the mind of any sane and logical person that the Cardinals are better when Fitz is playing. So….I hope he is able to play.