Fitzgerald out, streak ends at 110

Posted by Darren Urban on November 23, 2014 – 12:28 pm

It’s not a surprise since he didn’t practice all week, but wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald is inactive today against the Seahawks, snapping his consecutive games played streak at 110. It is the first game Fitzgerald has missed since Dec. 2, 2007. Fitzgerald was still limping late in the week and with the depth the Cardinals have at receiver — and the need for him later in the season to be healthy — helped make the decision, I’d think, but the most important reason is that Fitz just wasn’t going to be able to help much if at all in his current state.

The full inactive list:

— WR Larry Fitzgerald (knee)

— DT Ed Stinson (toe)

— RB Kerwynn Williams

— LB Desmond Bishop

— LB Glenn Carson

— DT Alameda Ta’amu

— TE Matthew Mulligan

Tags: ,

29 Responses to “Fitzgerald out, streak ends at 110”

1. By Kerri Marie on Nov 23, 2014 | Reply

This might be a tough game on the Cardinals then.

2. By CreditCard on Nov 23, 2014 | Reply

this is why I’m nervous and concerned about this game, not only is it do or die for Seattle, but it is a tough place to play. Toughest place to play and when:

September Denver Crowd High altitude, no injuries, Manning on-game

October: New England Always early game, Patriots hitting their stride

November: Seattle Crowd noise and rainy and coldish wet weather

December Green Bay Crowd, frozen tundra

This will be a very tough, tough game. No Fitz and his leadership and clutch play will be missed. Ball will have a slippery film upon it this time it this time of year. Seattle will be used to that, this will be new to the Cards.

3. By lupe on Nov 23, 2014 | Reply

Get better Larry Fitzgerald!🙂
    I totally understand regarding the knees.

4. By Vin on Nov 23, 2014 | Reply

NEXT MAN UP.

5. By louis on Nov 23, 2014 | Reply

sorry we wont win today hope we can finish 12 4 maybe

6. By Maylena graham on Nov 23, 2014 | Reply

Get better guys.. You are doing great. 🙂

7. By CreditCard on Nov 23, 2014 | Reply

its going to be a long game. Cards look flat

8. By louis on Nov 23, 2014 | Reply

we will not make playoffs again we need help on off. we should draft a qback.

9. By CreditCard on Nov 23, 2014 | Reply

Run, Pass, Pass, and then Punt. Predictable, and this is why at least one of the pass plays as a dreadful outcome.

10. By Dynosoar on Nov 23, 2014 | Reply

Louis,

I thought you were a lifelong Cardinals fan and sorry for some of your other posts this season. Have you missed watching this season unfold, it’s the second half, we’ve sacked Wilson what, like 7 times already. We always win the fourth quarter and I don’t believe we’ll lose this one. (Manning and the Broncos were a special case, there are reasons we lost that one and I don’t see any of those reasons in play today.

We win the second half and we’re only down by 6. Too bad Seattle gets the ball first, but I don’t see them scoring again. Time for our first fumble recovery or interception of the game and then we begin to see Seattle unravel. That’s all it will take, the first turnover for us.

BA and his staff at their best, in the second half.

11. By Dynosoar on Nov 23, 2014 | Reply

Is Fitz on the sidelines? Palmer? That would be huge.

12. By JohnnyBluenose on Nov 23, 2014 | Reply

Half-time, down by six but could be worse. Both defenses are solid We have to make some plays on offense and continue to harass Wilson and hopefully get a turnover or a big special teams play. I think Stanton’s mobility can help us a lot and could buy him some time to make some key plays. Keep going. It should be exciting.

13. By rod on Nov 23, 2014 | Reply

This game makes me sad.

14. By rod on Nov 23, 2014 | Reply

Well that’s it, 3-18 and Stanton sucks just like I knew he did.

Reality is no SB because of him and Bowls is gone next year.

Thumbs down me all you want but it’s the painful truth.

15. By Chuck 1 on Nov 23, 2014 | Reply

Well, some exuberant Cards’ fans kind of got ahead of themselves, didn’t they?
    Punt coverage terrible. Poor Special Team performance.
    Russell Wilson can’t pass?
    The Cards scoring 35 points? Won’t happen this season with no running attack to keep the defense honest.
    The Cards SHOULD win the West, but it won’t be cakewalk like some thought.

16. By CreditCard on Nov 23, 2014 | Reply

Ugly. I am in hopes the other 31-teams do not suddenly discover the formula in defeating the Cards.

17. By Dynosoar on Nov 23, 2014 | Reply

I had to leave at halftime, what happened? It’s the two minute warning and we’re down 19-3. What happened or rather, what didn’t happen?

18. By JohnnyBluenose on Nov 23, 2014 | Reply

We were beaten by a better team today. Should be a great game against the Seahawks back home next month. I hope Stanton is ok. It looked like Thomas was going to have to come in had we gotten the ball back. Our defense played great today. We know Russell Wilson is going to make some plays but we contained him for the most part. I thought Stanton played a good game and I think he had our longest gain running the ball. I thought our o-line did ok protecting him. I thought both Browns made some nice catches but Floyd was a non-factor and I don’t even know if Ginn was on the field except to signal for a fair catch. I don’t know much but I do know that we have scored a total of three points in the last six quarters of football and I know that’s not a good thing. I hope Fitz is playing soon and I think we need to see our other running backs involved more than they are now. Somehow our running game has to improve. Rest up Cardinals and win the next game. Keep going.

19. By Solo on Nov 23, 2014 | Reply

We let them win😭

20. By jeffgollin on Nov 23, 2014 | Reply

Pure & simple – Stanton had a brutal day. Major issue: accuracy. And when Drew hit his targets, they couldn’t hang onto the ball. Run blocking also remains problematic. And our defensive players started to panic and started to lunge and whiff trying to nail Wilson.

These things happen (hopefully only once).

21. By Dynosoar on Nov 23, 2014 | Reply

Louis, I really thought with what I’ve seen this season we would win this one. You called this, I still think we get 13 or 14 wins this season. I was gone after half, was it Stanton or others that we couldn’t score again? Or a combination?

22. By TucsonTim on Nov 23, 2014 | Reply

From Seattle, that was embarrassing. Kudos to the defense to keep it from being 51 to 3.

Interesting experience. Great fan base and they are LOUD on EVERY down. There weren’t many other Cardinals fans there, no big surprise. The Seattle fans are well behaved and some of them even offered to take pictures of the family before the game started.

Just wish the game had been competitive. Worrisome performance by Stanton, poor pocket presence, bad throws, bad decisions and too quick to run. Did we actually try a read option play, or was it just a busted play. Like I said, embarrassing.

23. By jme on Nov 23, 2014 | Reply

great lesson, use it now

24. By clssylssy on Nov 24, 2014 | Reply

Last year when we beat Seattle, Pete Carroll commented that sometime a team needs a loss and can learn from it and get betterl;let’s hope that is the case As mentioned before, we got beat by a better team and it could have been much, much worse as our team looked flat and tired. Stanton did a good job and I liked it that he took shots down the field because he was able to connect with the Browns most of the time, only to have progress stopped by our own errors and penalties. Our run game was non existent (2.5 yds a carry) and while Ellington is a talented player, he’s not Darren Sproles and I was happy when Hughes or Taylor got a carry. Without Fitz our offense lacked the veteran leadership and poise so critical in a game of this magnitude and I fear the Cards won’t get much farther without him. There are others who can make catches but nobody can block or open up lanes for our RBs like Fitz and to have such a multithreat weapon taken out of an already so-so offense was a HUGE loss. If the powers at be were wanting to
    ” test the waters” to see how important a role Fitz played with this team, hopefully they got their answer–we desperately needed him today and Floyd is NOT even close to Fitz! Even the defense was beginning to ware in the 4th quarter and looked like they were just trying to hold our loss at a twenty burger rather than attempting any comeback or turnovers to dig us out of the hole. They were done! When I saw Thomas warming up on the sideline, I figured it would be Denver all over!
    This looked like a completely different team than we have been watching and if the Cards can’t beat Seattle in their house, they are going to never be able to beat a team like the Packers or even the Rams in St. Louis! What WAS the #1 seed could turn into a wildcard or a complete miss at the playoffs, if we don’t return to our original plan of one week/win at a time. We were outplayed, outcoached, and their warrior spirit much, much stronger, I was getting a bad vibe all week at the weight being given to the signifigance of this game and I hate it when I’m right. I do know that if things can’t turn around in practice this week the Chiefs are likely to come in and completely humiliate us while raiding our house! The Seahawks played that one like the Champs nobody believed they were!

25. By louis on Nov 24, 2014 | Reply

i feel really bad for this team it needs alot work with the off. line we need to daft a quaterback next year and clean house starting with the off. line coaches and play calling .i don’t see us making the playoffs if things keep going like these.

26. By Steve Weston on Nov 24, 2014 | Reply

Wow, it’s interesting seeing all the negative comments here. Totally agree that was not the best performance on the part of the Cards, but we were in there playing hard until the bitter end, I thought. The offense just wasn’t clicking and that seemed to be the deciding factor – well that and a couple of mistakes on the dropped TD pass and the blocked punt come to mind. And playing in Seattle even at full strength (which we were most definitely not) is a difficult prospect.

But this team is resilient, and they have to be considering all that is being asked of them this year with the injuries suffered. Even if aspects of our game, whether on defense or on offense, aren’t going perfectly, the Cards have proven they can win against good teams. The Cards have shown the NFL they can bounce back and gut out tough wins against any team, even if it’s late in the 4th quarter.

Heading down the homestretch, I have confidence the Cards will make it to the playoffs and can make a serious run at the Super Bowl, especially if we can just hang on to the best record in the NFC. We’ve got two home games left and three very beatable teams on the road (yes, I’m including SF in that category, especially after their near-loss to the Redskins last night!) I think we’ve already seen what this supposedly beaten-down Cardinals team is capable of doing over the last several weeks. They’ve shown everyone they can win against very good teams. The question seems to be, do the fans have what it takes to continue cheering on our Cards and believing in them? I sure hope so. I know I do!

Go Cards!!

27. By clssylssy on Nov 24, 2014 | Reply

Geez louis…that’s a little radical don’t ya think? This team is rich with talented young players with solid veterans sprinkled in to add stability and wisdom. Our HC and DC are play calling and they have done an exceptional job up till now…the last thing we need is to throw the baby out with the bath water! Great teams who have success year-after-year do so because they have continuity in their process and replace pieces here and there. If you look at the power player of teams you have a sort of Holy trinity…Owner/GM/HC who work together seamlessly in establishing a core philosophy and find a formula for winning then stick to it, tweeking it as necessary. Everybody makes mistakes which aren’t the end of the world unless they are not used to learn from.
    I know a lot of fans on this site think I’m overly critical but you make me look like the dawn after the dark! Yeah, this wasn’t our best showing but hopefully we all learned from the experience. No, we aren’t bulltetproof and yes, we have to decide we want the SB bad enough to work overtime if necessary. This game is past, and now we have to play the next one like we’re fighting for our playoff lives…at this stage everybody is! That was one heck of an fast elevator drop and wasn’t even to the bottom…yet!

28. By AZ-FAN on Nov 24, 2014 | Reply

Wheres Darnell Dockett on the list? is he back? That would be awesome.

29. By Scott H on Nov 24, 2014 | Reply

Ugh. BEFORE the game, I would have said not good.

Having SEEN the game, I can say it sure wasn’t.