Rams (and 11-win) aftermath

Posted by Darren Urban on December 12, 2014 – 2:02 am

Yes, Drew Stanton is hurt, and yes, there is a fear this could be a serious thing – ACL? – to take yet another quarterback away from the Cardinals.

But first, let’s talk about what the Cardinals did Thursday night (the Cards’ first Thursday win since 1948, albeit only with a handful of Thursday opportunities over the years), on a short week. They won on the road without a touchdown for the first time since 1935, and became the first team in the NFL to win without a touchdown since the Ravens did in in Detroit Dec. 16, 2013.

They’ve won 11 games for the first time as a franchise in 39 years. They’ve all but made the playoffs, unless the Eagles and Cowboys conspire for a backbreaking tie (Not gonna happen.) It’s been an amazing run even as the body shots accumulate, and if Bruce Arians doesn’t win another coach of the year award, I’ll be truly surprised.

(If the Cardinals manage to beat the Seahawks a week from Sunday, you might as well engrave his name on it that evening.)

That’s why there were so many laughs and smiles coming off the field Thursday night. This isn’t how you’d draw up a Super Bowl team, not losing all these guys. But the Cards have won in spite of all of it anyway. To paraphrase a former Cardinal great, it’s hard to win in the NFL. (I’m leaving off the expletive at the end.)

— OK, spinning this forward: Is Stanton done? We will see. No one is saying one way or the other, at least not at 1:45 a.m. on this plane ride home. But let’s assume, for the moment, Stanton won’t be available. That means Ryan Lindley, I’d think.

Arians made it clear Logan Thomas isn’t ready yet. And no, Lindley doesn’t have a great track record after his disastrous 2012 rookie stretch – when, like Thomas, he shouldn’t have been playing – but at least he has played. He was gone until Carson Palmer blew out his ACL, a cut so that the prospect of Thomas could be kept, and that’s why he was third-string when he returned. But it always made more sense that, if the Cards had to turn to the backup’s backup, that guy would probably be Lindley.

— As my cohort Kent Somers tweeted, Arians is going to talk about how much confidence he has in Lindley. Because that’s what B.A. does, especially with QBs. If that’s the guy who is playing, he’s going to have Arians’ full support.

— I expect the Cards to sign a third QB, maybe bring back Dennis Dixon. But for those on Twitter tonight (at 1 a.m. Arizona time on a Friday? Don’t you people have to work in a few hours?) asking about who the Cards are going to get, I don’t see any earthly way it’s someone who they plan to play. These are the cards these Cards have been dealt. The top two QBs could be done. You gotta make it work.

— Amazing that Antonio Cromartie thought he ruptured his Achilles five days ago, and not only played Thursday night but did it without looking like he was ever hurt.

— They take a lot of heat, but Arians was right, special teams was excellent. Chandler Catanzaro drilled his field goals. Drew Butler, after a horrible first punt, was great the rest of the night, constantly pinning the Rams deep, with help from his coverage units. (Long snapper Mike Leach with the awesome downing of the ball around the 5.) Six punts were downed inside the 20 out of eight. Ted Ginn broke off a 42-yard punt return. A very nice night for special teams coordinator Amos Jones’ guys.

— Quiet MVP from Thursday: Left tackle Jared Veldheer. Not only led a great night for the offensive line, but jumped on that late Kerwynn Williams fumble that could have changed the game.

— Frostee Rucker caused all kinds of havoc in the backfield. He’s been quietly great the past few games.

— Another guy causing backfield havoc was … cornerback Jerraud Powers? Yep. He was the blitzer a lot of the night. One delayed blitz was timed perfect and he drilled Shaun Hill late in the first half. It caused an incompletion and was a split second from causing a fumble. On the Rams’ last legit drive, his blitz on fourth down and leap allowed him to knock down Hill’s pass.

“I had some guys in my group texts, (former teammate) Antoine Bethea and a couple other guys, saying, ‘Who do you think you are? Dwight Freeney?’ ” Powers said. “I’m like, ‘Nah.’ ”

— So the last three times the Cardinals have played the Rams they have lost Tyrann Mathieu to an ACL tear, Palmer to an ACL tear and now, maybe Stanton has a serious injury? Unreal.

— Williams looked like the real deal again. Didn’t get 100 yards splitting time with Stepfan Taylor, but he averaged five yards on 15 carries and a couple of times was one defender away from breaking a TD run.

— The Cards are (probably) in the playoffs. They have more than a week to prep for the NFC West-deciding home game against Seattle. That will be an event on “Sunday Night Football.” It’d be nice if somehow, Stanton is OK.

“Obviously we’d like a full deck of cards, no pun intended,” Larry Fitzgerald said.

If not, there will probably be a shrug of the collective shoulders. Why should the end-all, be-all NFC West showdown be any different than the rest of the season?

AfterRamsBlog1use

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

53 Responses to “Rams (and 11-win) aftermath”

1. By Red Dead Redemption on Dec 12, 2014 | Reply

If Stanton has an ACL tear. You honestly have to give Brett Farve or Kurt Warner a call. If they say no? Bring in anybody intelligent, who is considered an upgrade over Lindley. Nothing to lose now.

Those two are an upgrade over Lindley, as is any free agent with experience. Some of these commenters probably would be as well. The Cardinals could always call me if they wanted to; I could probably throw seven interceptions.

Even a Vanilla offense with either of those two has got to be better than Lindley.

I know Farve or Warner is extremely unrealistic, but so are the Cardinals sitting at 11-3, with all the injuries they had.

And no The Cardinals should not call Tim Tebow; we already have two splendid Running Backs.
    The win was probably was the weirdest feeling win in Cardinals history. For me at least. Fantastic effort, excellent defense, Catman outstanding, but also the sense of a loss.

– Daren can you throw at all? You look it pretty good shape. You’d have an inside edge. Kidding aside. Warner or Farve called?

2. By Big Ken on Dec 12, 2014 | Reply

Just when you think why is Jerraud Power in the team he does something great. He seemed to enjoy the role of ‘Blitzer’ which I think was the name of one of Santa’s reindeer.

3. By Peterincanada on Dec 12, 2014 | Reply

I always had doubts about this game with the injuries and the Ram defense. But this is as gutsy a group as I have ever seen. We are finally getting the respect we deserve because we almost always find a way to win.

4. By Steve Weston on Dec 12, 2014 | Reply

Tremendous effort last night, that was such a great game to watch. I’m proud of our Cards for overcoming everything thrown their way and still remain full of spirit and optimism looking forward. Saw BA talk afterward about Lindley, but man I can’t help but wonder if Lindley was put into that game just to hang on to the lead because of his past experience. I can’t help but wonder if he’s playing coy and will wind up playing Logan Thomas against Seattle…

Either way, whichever QB the Cards go with (or better yet, if Stanton isn’t as badly hurt as everyone fears), I’m finding myself with the faith that this team can keep finding ways to win so long as they continue to believe in each other and keep their mistakes to a minimum. An improving running game is sure helping our offense out a LOT as well! And of course, the Big Red defense is just outrageously good and has proven they can keep us in any game it seems, so all it takes is two or three good drives in a game to put just enough points on the board to come out with a win.

Bring on the Seahawks, call me crazy but I have a good feeling about this game. Let’s go get that 8-0 record at home! Go Cards!!!!

5. By Dave Chaney on Dec 12, 2014 | Reply

Wow! What a fantastic team effort and a great show by our marvelous “D”. The injury to Stanton is a downer, but the team shows over and over that it takes the entire team to win ball games, not just a good QB. 11-3 is like all the holidays rolled up into one. Above all I can’t say enough about Bruce Arians, Todd Bowles and all their coaches. If BA doesn’t get Coach of Year, the voting’s rigged. Kind of ironic that our #1 QB at the moment appears to be the guy that the Wiz turned to a couple of years ago on his musical chairs plan. Let’s see how he develops under BA. GO CARDS!!!
    PS…way to go Chris Cantanzaro for making up for your poor luck last Sunday big time.

6. By D on Dec 12, 2014 | Reply

That was an impressive win. One of the best defensive performance by a AZ team in a very long time. Frostee, it’s your month baby!
    The kicker has nerves of steel.
    They may have found a RB in Williams, nice holes by the Oline.
    Can’t be prouder of this team regardless of what happens rest of the way.

7. By much.faster on Dec 12, 2014 | Reply

a terrific win, the best defence i have seen in the last weeks (seahawks included), and the men of the game are

harold doodwin, for hiding williams on the practica squad and preparing him for the last two games🙂

frostee rucker, great on a great defence
    jared veldheer, the presence was paramount
    ted ginn, now the eight game without a fumble

i`m waiting now on arians and his comment “we can reach the superbowl with lindley”, but hopefully atanton isn`t injuried bad (but it didn`t look good). in any case, q good and quick recovery to drew stanton and all the other injured players.

8. By navyboy0812 on Dec 12, 2014 | Reply

Is there any way we can start a petition to make the Rams play in the NFC East or South? I hate seeing our key players go down against them!

9. By BIll on Dec 12, 2014 | Reply

Bring back Kurt Warner !!!! Our Oline is much better than in the past. Our Defense is playing at Championship level. All we need is 21 – 24 points to win !!!

10. By Coach K on Dec 12, 2014 | Reply

WE SHALL OVERCOME

There is something about this team that is defying all the odds.
    So many losses and yet, this team is finding ways to win.

This is looking like one of the greatest NFL stories of all time in the making.

WE SHALL OVERCOME

I believe it.

11. By Tucson Card on Dec 12, 2014 | Reply

Go Cards. D and run game were nice to watch. Hopefully Stanton injury isn’t too serious. If it is, Lindley’s been here before, (and hopefully he’s grown since 2012).

12. By Robert on Dec 12, 2014 | Reply

PROUD TO BE A CARDINAL FAN..got my SUper Bowel shirt and hat out and wearing it today with pride..no one gave the cards a chance in the game against a belwo 500 Rams team that stinks…On the flip side, i did say that stanton and ellington would get hurt and i am saying tha tthey will beat seattle and win out

Lindly can do it

13. By Lee W. Flanagan on Dec 12, 2014 | Reply

I say it again. I thought that this TNF game would be different and I was correct. The resilience of this team is amazing. They brought it to the field weekend and week out. “Next man up” has a new meaning with all that has gone on. Lindley is a capable QB and will surprise a lot of you out there. This team doesn’t ask a lot from the QB position. Seattle will be coming after him next week and they will be shocked. Off the subject…I had a Rams fan ask me to sit down when I was surrounded by Rams fans that were standing up also. How would you guys respond to that?

14. By sggrange on Dec 12, 2014 | Reply

WordPress just ate my post…CURSES!

15. By shannon robinson on Dec 12, 2014 | Reply

The last guy into the pile to fight for the pigskin and the fumble is awarded to that same guy who owns his own gym – Jared Veldheer – as if anyone else had a chance! A tip of the Cardinal Wing to the Catman who slowed down his swing and made four in a row, including from 51 yards out. Special thanks to special teams, guys like Butler and Ginn who came through – ‘pride in your job’ delivers for these Cards. Mr. Bowles for sending the house, That Cool Uncle who’s calling the offense (no brakes) and here’s to my favorite Coach Pass Rush Specialist Tom Pratt! – thanks for the sacks. Have a Frostee on us and man, what can you say about our new Spokesman – Tommy Kelly.

16. By blaxabbath on Dec 12, 2014 | Reply

Guess those heavily-discounted Lindley jerseys aren’t going to be hidden in the back racks at Just Sports anymore. Just goes to show how fashion is cyclical, I guess.

17. By JohnnyBluenose on Dec 12, 2014 | Reply

A huge win. Hoping, like all of you, that Stanton comes back just like Larry did. And Darren, you are absolutely correct about Mike Leach. That was a big play (and not an easy one) that he made by downing that punt inside the five yard line. All Leach does is make perfect snaps every time and covers kicks and tackles extremely well. We take him for granted but he is a valuable player for us. Right on too about Frostee Rucker. I would also add Tommy Kelly, Larry Foote and Stepfan Taylor who made a couple of nice runs when we needed them. Maybe the o-line deserves some credit. Catman came through. Way to go!! I thought Jeff Fisher would have gone for it on fourth down rather than settle for field goals. Why not? He had nothing to lose. I guess it shows how much respect he has for our defense. Let’s get some rest and Larry and Cro and some others can get healthier. The few extra days off will also help Lindley and Thomas get some much needed practice time. Great job guys. You found a way. Keep going.

18. By Andy Kw on Dec 12, 2014 | Reply

It didn’t look like Drew Stanton was in too much pain so I assume he will be okay and he does have over a week to feel better so that’s good. Ryan Lindley had a lot of rust coming onto the field but with more practice with the first team he should be in good shape to play against Seattle. The 2 passes he made to Smokey Brown were nice. If Brown stayed in bounds, it would have been a catch. That deep ball he threw in the end zone to him was under thrown a bit but if it was thrown a little higher it would have been a TD. If you watch Lindley, you got to love his footwork and his comfort in the pocket. He has the arm strength that Bruce Arian’s likes but he just needs to establish rhythm and accuracy with his WRs. We play Seattle next week at home so that should provide Lindley some comfort if Stanton is officially ruled out. With some more practice and more work, Lindley should be fine against Seattle but with Lindley will need a huge balance of running just to be safe.

19. By John The Draft Guy on Dec 12, 2014 | Reply

First, let me say it is amazing to watch the Arizona Cardinals post 11 wins. This after posting 10 wins the year before.

I really do not care about the St Louis years, but since the team moved to Arizona, it has been a joke in the NFL. Having season tickets watching the 4-12 cards play in a 110 degrees at Sun Devil Stadium was miserable. But about 20,000 fans sat hoping the cards would become a legit team.

We thought we had it in 1998, only to watch the team be dismantled in 99. Whiz gave us a thrill in 2008 and followed it up with a good 2009. But this is the first time you feel that this franchise is a legit contender.

So, thank you Bidwill and the whole cards organization for gving us fans something to cheer for.

With that, I have to say what a shame Palmer had to go down. I can honestly say, we really had a shot at winning it all this year. With Stanton, I felt it was a real challenge, but maybe the ball bounces our way and we can pull out the home wins and get to the big dance.

But Lindley and Thomas?? This is just too much for one team to overcome. But if they are going to overcome it, it will take a team.

The offensive line must open holes for the run game, the backs must be explosive, the receivers must get wide open and catch balls that are behind them or off target and they must turn into defensive backs when Lindley throws bad ones to the other team. Arians will have to be even better at play calls.

This defense must put the team on it’s back and take the attitude that the ’85 bears and 2000 Ravens did. No one scores, and when we get takeaways, we score with them. Be offensive on defense.

It is irrational to think Lindley can lead this team to the super bowl. It is virtually impossible. But what I have seen this year is a team that has lived in the impossible and their ability to rise above injuries has been irrational.

What’s life without a challenge.

20. By Bay Area Bad Boy on Dec 12, 2014 | Reply

We can only play the players we have and the next team in front of us. 11 wins and practically in the playoffs. Great job to the coaching staff and the team. I hope Stanton’s injury is not serious and he can come back. But if not, we have to go with the next QB. I read a comment from one of the other fans about how great a coaching staff we have. AND WE DO. Our team goes as the coaching goes. 10 days rest could not have come at a better time. I had faith that we would win the KC game and I was excited to see last nights game because I thought we had a chance in STL. We won both, not pretty, but both. So 10 days rest and SEA coming to the desert. I will take my chances with the home team. Palmer, Stanton or whoever. We have a great defense and we have ballers on offense with an offensive line that is playing well. The 2014 Cardinals are a resilient group of men that will not be denied. Great Job, Great Job Team. I am proud to be a Fan.

21. By Mr Robles on Dec 12, 2014 | Reply

Hey Darren why werent any Cardinals players invited to the post game for interview? Were we snubbed again….

22. By Richard S on Dec 12, 2014 | Reply

Hope Drew recovers before the post season. The first Cardinal game I saw I got there late and missed the first field goal in a 6-3 win over the Steelers with Terry Nofsinger as the starting QB I believe. That was a home game in St. Louis in the late 60’s early 70’s. I only got to see 2 field goals.

23. By Richard S on Dec 12, 2014 | Reply

With Lindley QBing and I did see him lead a TD drive in the pre-season, the Cards OL needs to play error free football, no holding penalties setting them back 10 yards, no false starts. Putting him in a hole that he has to recover from is not a good thing to do. I do think he can put points on the board and the Defense can throw a few shutouts.

24. By Scott H on Dec 12, 2014 | Reply

Man, that had to be one of the best games they played all year. So many different players stepping up at different times to make whatever play was needed when they needed it. CANNOT say enough about this team. They are special. And despite what happens from here, I want to thank them from the very bottom of my Cardinal red heart for the gift of an 11-win season. Because in my 40 years as a fan, I have never seen that. THAT is special.

First, a huge thanks to the O-line and the running game for something we could count on. The passing game – regardless of QB – was not gonna win that game. This O-line is digging in and this Williams kid can play! Need to see more of him going forward. Great heads-up play from Veldheer on that fumble recovery.

Next, thanks to the Cat Man for making good on all his chances. How big was that??? Obviously, points were gonna be at a premium, so FG’s were huge. Our offense was able to fight its way into range ( mostly LONGER range ) 4X and our kicker delivered all 4 times. We needed every one of them to put the Rams in a position where THEY were gonna need to come up with a TD at some point. Yeah…good luck with that, fellas! If the Cat man has an off night and misses one or two of those kicks…..he was awesome.

Next, the coaches. Again Uncle Brucie and Bowles had these guys ready and the execution was there all night. Might have been the best game the D has had all year. That goal line stand? HUGE. Sending that blitz on 4th down to end the game? WOW!!!!!! The blitzes were so amazing all night, the different directions they came from and the timing they had. The Rams had no answer for it. For this team – for ANY team – to be as focused and sharp and physical on a Thurs night ROAD GAME as they were last night….that speaks to coaching. Arians is HANDS DOWN the coach of the year. No one else should even be in the discussion. Who else could even BE in the discussion??? BTW, LOVED his comments about there being a great defense out there last night…they were wearing red and white! Damn right they were.

Again, the Rams had no answer for our D last night. Whether or not the Cardinals can have an answer for their QB situation….I don’t know. Today feels bittersweet, to say the least. But right now, I am enjoying the sweet.

Thanks for this one, gentlemen. You were ALL heart last night and I could not be more proud of this team.

We have a defense ( OH, do we have a defense !!!). We have a running game. We have kicker we can count on. Who knows? If Stanton’s injury doesn’t shut him down, we have 10 days of rest until the next game. We thought Cro’s season was gonna be over, too, and look where he was last night!

Keeping fingers crossed out here in NJ.

25. By Travis on Dec 12, 2014 | Reply

Great win! The prospect of having Lindley under center is sketchy at best. I still wonder why he hasn’t started for the Titans yet…

26. By Dynosoar on Dec 12, 2014 | Reply

We have ten days to rest, the Seahawks will have seven. And we have Lindley, highest completion percentage in SD State history (when he played).

I don’t care what happened in the Whizenhunt year, we have BA, Moore, Kitchens and Goodwin coaching this man and he has a better, far better O-Line than before. And what looks to be a real RB corps.

I love that Cowboys fans even today we’re posting “if we had had Romo.” Well to them I say, it doesn’t matter who we put in, we’re going to win.

The Lombardi trophy or nothing at all!

27. By Nick Pepe on Dec 12, 2014 | Reply

What a win!! The defense was incredible. The running game superb-should of broke one of those. Cat Man was on point. It was a solid team effort.

And how about our coach! We better lock Uncle Bruce up for as many years as he wants!!!

I hope Drew is ok- but Next Man Up if not. Why should we expect any less. And……not sure it matters. I think this team can win with Louis at QB!!

First to Eleven wins!!

Nick Pepe
    Lifetime Member ’70-’71

28. By Dynosoar on Dec 12, 2014 | Reply

Well, we have Lindley unless Stanton has an Achilles injury the same way Cromartie did and comes back for a huge game. When Cro went down I was like “man, who’s next?” and then he’s playing four days later and making statement plays.

Stanton, Lindley, heck, they could bring back Warner and he’d probably be able to do good even with so many years away. (Could he even be eligible to come back after being nominated to the Hall of Fame? Wouldn’t that put a twist in the voting.)

I trust this coaching staff, but more importantly, as Larry Foote said after the victory, the players trust this coaching staff.

Trust – Loyalty – Respect
    The offseason t-shirts said it all. I’d love one of those. May just have to make one myself.

The Lombardi trophy or nothing at all!

29. By Patrick Hoog aka Don't Take Losses on Dec 12, 2014 | Reply

Veldheer = Hero.

Lindley, most important friend in our lives right now…expecting “we can win the SB with Ryan as our QB”, lol. I am believer! lol. Wow. What a season, great ride.

Seriously, if they can keep Lindley from throwing into triple coverage like he did, he can be coached up to succeed. I believe in Tom Moore.

And STL beat some very good teams that we have not, this was a BIG deal, not the same old Rams despite the poor mouthing on NFL Network.

30. By CARDINAL on Dec 12, 2014 | Reply

another awesome win !!!!!!!!

31. By much.faster on Dec 12, 2014 | Reply

@darren urban, you know, you have fans in europe? i`m from austria, and i wanted to watch only the first minutes of the game, and then i sat up to the last minute until 6 in the morning. i missed tghe sunrise only for half an hour.
    1.30?
    thats childs play for a real fan🙂

32. By jme on Dec 12, 2014 | Reply

Drew is ok, i just know!!! im sure of it!! hot and cold it this weekend and he will be back ready to go monday!! Go BIG Red!!!!

33. By clssylssy on Dec 12, 2014 | Reply

WOW! What a heartstopper of a game and yes, the Rams had a defense that could have stopped a lesser team. To deny that they aren’t all that is, to devalue our win when, in fact, they were able to beat the Broncos and still, the Cards, battered and banged up as we are were able to knock them off their swagger and prevail with class and as a team, even after they knocked out our QB (again). There will be those today who will, no doubt, be denegrating Ryan Lindley and will be screaming for Logan Thomas to start but really???…didn’t you learn anything from the Denver game? Logan Thomas is just not ready to be thrown into the fire with no experience and I believe BA absolutely made the right decision. I had wondered yesterday (and almost asked Darren) if we had anybody taking reps behind Stanton but was afraid if I verbalized this thought, I might jinx us. Still going against Gregg Williams, I had a bad feeling that we would come out of this game with significant injuries. I hope that everyone will be taking a long, hard and close look at the hit on Stanton as it seemed especially vicious. Under the circumstances and having not taken a rep since training camp, not playing in regular season for two years, Lindley did better than would be expected so, now, we must get behind him if it turns out we will have to soldier on without Drew.
    Our defense was killer and Cat man and the special teams are back! 0-line did an amazing job and it seems we do have a run game afterall! Fitz at 75% was incredible and I believe our offense would have scored had it not been for some bad calls by the refs…but, that’s the NFL! To win in spite of some bad officiating makes it that much sweeter:) As a friend of mine told me (Steeler fan) last night, with a defense like ours and the pure grit and tenacity of the talented players on this team, even a mediocre QB can get the job done!Cards play best, it seems, against all odds! Great Team Win Everybody!

34. By georgiebird on Dec 12, 2014 | Reply

Great win- solidifies the playoffs and BA as COY- should be 3 years in a row.
    Whatever the faults with JCoop may be- he is a bull out there. He is just the type of player that the offense needs. And hard to believe that so many NFL teams thought that Kerwynn was not a player.

35. By Richard L on Dec 12, 2014 | Reply

Darren, Did you attend Arians press conference after the game? I could see the emotion welling up in him, he was clearly speaking to the national media when he said, “You saw a great Defense today and they were wearing Red and White” he then called out the naysayers and the Rams when he said, “We are 11 and 3 and they are a perennial 8 and 8 team” Gotta love his honesty, calling out the refs, and passionate support for his players and coaches. Any chance you can post the whole press conference? If it was Belichick speaking after a game ESPN would have made us sit through the entire boring non event.

36. By Darren Urban on Dec 12, 2014 | Reply

Richard L —

RE: Arians

Yes, I was there. Always am.

This isn’t everything, but this is the important stuff: http://www.azcardinals.com/videos/videos/Bruce-Arians-postgame-reaction/64a72d2c-ae02-4579-8f3b-73844bb8ce12

37. By Chuck 1 on Dec 12, 2014 | Reply

Can a Game Ball be “cut” into parts??? LOL
    Rucker, Powers, Foote, Veldheer, Williams, Taylor………
    Oh, hell, give balls to the whole team.

38. By Chuck 1 on Dec 12, 2014 | Reply

Oh, how could I forget giving Todd Bowles a Game Ball???

39. By rich on Dec 12, 2014 | Reply

This team is writing its own story book. I have never seen a team do what this team is doing with all the injuries to key players. All we do is win and show no signs of letting up. If you are not a fan of the Arizona Cardinals that is a shame cause this team is all fight and I wouldn`t want to be a fan of any other team out there. GO CARDS!!!

40. By Chuck 1 on Dec 12, 2014 | Reply

JTDG,

One of the most insightful and best posts that I’ve read on any of the blogs on this site!!!

41. By rufus on Dec 12, 2014 | Reply

What an amazing victory! This team continues to confound its critics. Arians is not only Coach of the Year (again), but may be the best Cardiinal coach ever.

42. By johnwimmer on Dec 12, 2014 | Reply

If true… we’ll take it.

43. By chicpacker on Dec 12, 2014 | Reply

REX GROSSMAN…I dont know why the cards dont pick up REX GROSSMAN. .. he’s a vet. No older the Carson Palmer. .. he took a team to the supper bowl with the worst defense of the 12teams in the playoffs, no offensive line,no receivers, and a decent running back.. R U kidding me

44. By clssylssy on Dec 12, 2014 | Reply

Any QB that the Cards would bring in at this point would be behind the curve with learning BA’s offense and developing a chemistry with the team. Like it or not, Ryan Lindley knows the offense, has personal relationships with the players on this team going back to the Whisenhunt era and is “family”. He has some experience playing in real time NFL games and under pressure. During the Whisenhunt era he didn’t have an O-line and was pretty much thrown into to the fire green amid internal issues.
    Last night Lindley stepped in as cold as you can probably get, not taking reps since training camp, and not playing in regular time for two years and made some good plays…not too shabby given the pressure and circumstances!
    It sounds like Drew may be OK in time for the postseason but, he also has had his legion of naysayers since he had to step in for Carson Palmer and has been able to get the job done such that we are now 11-3! This team doesn’t have to have a franchise QB at the helm because it is a real team that feeds off the strengths of each other to persevere through adversity and succeed. Let’s just focus now on winning our final home game of the season against the Seahawks and hand that Division banner in UofP stadium! Wonder when the last time was that the Cards went undefeated at home during a regular season? I love the real possibility of that!

45. By Andy Kw on Dec 12, 2014 | Reply

I think Arians is an amazing coach but I agree with chicpacker. Just because a QB knows the system doesn’t mean he will play well in it. I think signing Rex Grossman would be a huge upgrade over the Lindley and Thomas. He might not know the system but he is a guy that likes throwing downfield. If we sign Rex Grossman, he will do things that our QBs cant. I’d take past success and experience over inexperienced vets any day. I’m in for Rex Grossman, anyone else agree?

46. By Scott H on Dec 12, 2014 | Reply

Richard L –

I think I would love BA, regardless of who he was the HC for. Because he actually says something when he talks and he talks in a REFRESHINGLY straight / often humorous manner. SO MUCH different than the boring, clichéd coach-speak you get from so many other coaches in pro sports.

He’s not a reckless loud-mouthed jackass like Buddy Ryan or a few others we could mention. But he is honest, straight, direct. He REALLY does come across as the cool uncle!

When he said what he said about people seeing a great defense last night / they were wearing red & white, I don’t think anyone took that as him dissing the Rams or going too far. He is RIGHT, there was SOOOOO MUCH talk about the Rams D leading up to this game and when the Cardinals defense went into THEIR house on a short week and out-played the Rams, it was completely OK for BA to acknowledge that the way he did.

I LOOOOOVE me some Bruce Arians! He is unique among NFL head coaches – everything about him – and I am just glad he is OURS!!!

47. By Fitzfan on Dec 12, 2014 | Reply

Gregg Williams is the DC for the Rams.
    Gregg Williams was suspended for 1 year for telling his players to kill the opponent’s QB’s head.
    Both of our QBs were injured in Rams games this year.
    Coincidence?

48. By Darren Urban on Dec 12, 2014 | Reply

Fitzfan —

RE: QB injuries

One issue with that is Palmer’s injury was non-contact.

49. By truths4all on Dec 12, 2014 | Reply

OK, Thomas is not ready.

But Lindley has zero TDs and at least 7 official NFL interceptions and could have had 3 more picks last night due to his chronic and steady lack of accuracy on medium to long passes.

Unless Tom Moore can work some passing mechanic miracles, Lindley is not ready either.

Too bad Keim did not make it a priority earlier in the season to find a better option for a competently trained and experienced back-up QB. Now this GREAT season is in danger of becoming a woulda-shoulda and what could have been season due to this neglect and lack of vision and planning.

50. By Darren Urban on Dec 13, 2014 | Reply

truths —

RE: QBs

Wait. Keim should be roasted because he didn’t find a “completely trained and experienced” third-string QB? Because the top two guys are hurt. And they are 11-3 up until that point.

These are the comments I do not understand. At all.

51. By Zenith57 on Dec 13, 2014 | Reply

Lindley needs more Reps Will get better Needs to learn putting touch on Passes. His arm strength is very good Lindley is Very Capable of becoming a Decent QB.@least for now It’s crucial that The run game be more predominant about 70/30 So Oline needs to step up make creases for RB to run Through If Lindley
    Doesn’t hurt the Team with INT”s and completes close to half of his passes the Offense Can manage their part of the game. And The Defense will do their Damage and special Teams play great coverage The game against the S Hawks
    is winnable and the Cardinals have their Home crowd behind them.

52. By Andy Kw on Dec 13, 2014 | Reply

Third string QBs are normally inexperienced truths4all. I really want to see some Logan Thomas. The more college clips I watched of him, the more eager I am to see him in action. I watched some Ryan Lindley highlights in his college days, since his NFL highlights were rough, and I felt lost. Logan Thomas threw a lot of darts and made tons of plays with his feet. He made tons of tough NFL caliber throws in college so I’d love to see him playing even if he plays only a quarter or so. Ryan Lindley’s accuracy was poor in college but I know he has made some strides.

53. By cert33 on Dec 13, 2014 | Reply

Lindley can be quite capable at QB under Arians. He was actually a bigger star at the college level than Stanton, forget what you saw in 2012 under Whiz with one of the worst offensive lines of this decade. If you have access to a video archive, take a long look at the 2010 Holiday Bowl, Lindley absolutely shreds a top 5 ranked Navy defense in a bowl game in which San Diego St. was the underdog.