Stanton only has knee sprain

Posted by Darren Urban on December 12, 2014 – 11:16 am

Multiple reports — first coming from Mike Jurecki but then spreading through a ton of national media — say quarterback Drew Stanton has a right knee sprain and will be week-to-week, which is a big deal and definitely not the bad news it could have been. Bruce Arians will speak at 12:15 to clarify, but there will likely still be a vague part of all of this. The good news is that Stanton has a couple of extra days to heal (and even extra hours on the back end, since the Cardinals next play on a Sunday night) before the Seahawks game. But will he be mobile enough to face a Seattle defense? Something tells me this will remain a mystery all week.

But the Cardinals are basically in the playoffs after Thursday night’s win, and this injury news sure makes it sound like Stanton has a chance to be back for at least those games — if not sooner.

UPDATE: Arians comfirmed Stanton’s knee injury is not season-ending. But the coach declined to put a timetable on Stanton’s situation and said Stanton was on crutches. Stanton figures to return. But when? And what could it mean to the Cardinals’ playoff positioning?

CartDrewuse

Tags:

43 Responses to “Stanton only has knee sprain”

1. By Jon on Dec 12, 2014 | Reply

YYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!

Finally, we catch a break. Thank you Jesus

2. By Big Ken on Dec 12, 2014 | Reply

Terrific news!

3. By michaelshumanmedia on Dec 12, 2014 | Reply

Don’t count us out! We’re the Red Birds, not the Dead Birds! Playoffs, HERE WE COME!

4. By Bruce on Dec 12, 2014 | Reply

THANK YOU FOOTBALL GODS!!!!

I say prep Logan this week! Don’t risk Drew getting hurt for the post season. We need him for the playoffs. Lindley did good last night, but we’ve been down the Lindley road before. Let’s see what Logan can do. Baptism in fire. His NFL exposure would be to both of last years Super Bowl teams. That’s priceless experiance. Who knows, he could give the Sea Chickens an unexpected look. they will most likely be prepping for Drew or Lindley. Logan could be a nice little last minute surprise. Let’s GO BIG RED!!!!

5. By perry matherne on Dec 12, 2014 | Reply

Thank you jesus,we need all the qb we can have.get well drew,we love you cuz.

6. By JohnnyBluenose on Dec 12, 2014 | Reply

Very good news about Stanton. Right now, he is our most valuable player and there should be no reason to rush him back into the line-up. I read some of the posts wondering if Warner or Favre or Tibbo would be considered rather than Lindley or Thomas. I was wondering myself if there was anyone out there who might be able to step in and play a couple of games. It’s very hard to come up with anyone. After all, if the guy was any good he would already be on a team somewhere. The only guy I could think of was Brady Quinn, assuming he would be interested in leaving the announcer’s booth for a short time. I’m not saying that Quinn is a great quarterback but at least he is not too old and he has had experience in the league although not a lot of success. Thankfully it certainly appears that Stanton will be back at some point. And that’s good because I don’t think we would go very far into the play-offs with either Lindley or Thomas as our quarterback.

7. By Eric G on Dec 12, 2014 | Reply

I heard that deep sigh of relief all the way over here in Philadelphia.

8. By Jesus on Dec 12, 2014 | Reply

@Jon

You are welcome.

9. By Patrick Hoog aka Don't Take Losses on Dec 12, 2014 | Reply

Drew “down, but not out”. Ryan looked pretty calm, building confidence in this young man…

10. By krehbieo14 on Dec 12, 2014 | Reply

We have a system that our quarterbacks can produce in. Lindley will get the reps next week while Stanton rests his knee. Lindley will be ready for the Seahawks if Stanton can’t go. Arians and Moore will devote massive time to coaching our quarterback group this coming week. Game management will be the mantra. No need to panic. Cards just played the best game of their year in all three phases of football!

11. By Dynosoar on Dec 12, 2014 | Reply

I’ve read a lot of postings here and other places saying “we know who Lindley is” and I respond I’m not so sure. We do know who Lindley is under Whizenhunt, but we’ve seen only a little of him under Arians.

It’s telling in the Lindley interview I heard he said Coach gave him a simple directive when he first went out, get us in field goal range and then we’ll plan what comes next And He Did. Stanton gave him the directive to “win the game” And He Did. (Well, he and many others.)

I’m comfortable with Lindley, I like that Stanton has more experience, but Lindley will improve with practice. Our offense may suffer with a new QB, but our run game and O-Line is improving so we should see better or equal offensive play (which would be nice if we were scoring 30+ each game, but as long as we keep winning, I’m ok with scores of 2-0 here on out.

Stanton was 60% completion, Lindley was 40% which adds up to 100%. Haha! Lindley will certainly need to improve. I’ve been concerned about Stanton playing at 50%, 40% scares the begeebies out of me. If Lindley plays, I’m hoping a weeks practice will improve that 40% up to the 60% or greater level.

12. By Scott H on Dec 12, 2014 | Reply

BEST news we could have hoped for. Maybe another big bullet dodged but I stop short of thanking the football Gods because of everything else they have un-leashed upon the Cardinals this season.

And I am going straight to the point of crazy ( NOT passing Go, NOT collecting $200 ) in already hoping that Stanton will be able to go against Seattle! Hey, it might just mean the division for the Cardinals, and IF they can have him back for that one….do I have to even bother saying he gives us the best chance to win?

Hey, we have 10 days……

13. By Scott H on Dec 12, 2014 | Reply

Darren –

If we will not have Stanton for the next game, do you see any chance that maybe they roll with Thomas? Gotta be honest, watching Lindley last night, I found myself wondering – Can Thomas be much worse than this???

BUT I will not hold last night against Lindley without taking into account that he came in cold off the bench and was up against one nasty defense. I acknowledge all that. But his career stats – 0 TD’s / 7 INT’s – offer so little hope that this guy will suddenly “find it” against a team like Seattle OR in the playoffs.

Do they REALLY think Thomas is just too far away right now to give him a shot?

14. By Darren Urban on Dec 12, 2014 | Reply

Scott H —

RE: QB

Let’s put it this way — does anyone really think they will put the guy out there that gives them less of a chance to win?

15. By JosEPh on Dec 12, 2014 | Reply

Big thumbs up to Jon and Perry’s posts!

And I can’t believe someone would be mean enough to thumbsdown perry’s post.

Add me to the list of those praying for drew and saying Thank you Jesus!

Now let’s see how many thumbs down I get.

It Takes Team and to be a Team it takes Faith in one another to be a Team. Go Cards! 11-3! Have not seen that in almost 40 years!

16. By Dr. G. on Dec 12, 2014 | Reply

Veldhero = My MVP (playing hurt too)

Zaro – – – 4 x 3 = 12…! Gettin’ it done… How important are FGs?

Out of touch media + Bruce Ellison? Jason Veldheer? Trying to catch up…no respect.

BA = Stir the pot! Motivate our guys, and putting the Weasel Coach in Seattle on Notice!

Seattle will feel some serious wrath when the Rams Revenge arrives.

Michael B. taking the reins = huge difference…period… Before Mikey…???

PP – Don’t brag on that INT… Your team mates created that. Sorry.

Lindley = Leading the team? No. Relax, the “D” can lead. Just do not take on too much. Stanton just might return like “El Cid”

9 days to the “Welcoming Committee” for the arrogant Weasel and his Sea Hawks!

Made for TV Movie = 15 Cards’ players – all in Hospital beds watching TV-CARDS in the Super Bowl to end the movie.

Be well CARDS FANS…been an exhilarating ride….huh?

17. By JoeyPorterFan on Dec 12, 2014 | Reply

Is Brett Favre in playing shape???

18. By Bruce on Dec 12, 2014 | Reply

The Chargers, Chiefs, Cowboys, and Rams all have 2 things in common.

1) They all beat the Seahawks

&

2) They all got beat by us this season.

Not too worried about them on Sunday Night!!!

19. By Bay Area Bad Boy on Dec 12, 2014 | Reply

Glad to hear the good news about Drew. Good guy. It would be nice to have him back for Seattle but if he’s on crutches, I doubt it. If he can’t go, then Lindley will have to be the guy to lead us to victory over the Hawks. WIth the supporting cast of receivers and running backs, and improved play from the O-line. I think we can pull it off. But it won’t be easy. But then again, We owe Seattle one. I’m liking our chances at home.

20. By Chuck 1 on Dec 12, 2014 | Reply

Off topic, but do you think that WHEN, NOT IF, Bowles gets a Head Coaching job after this season (he certainly deserves one), Keim and BA will hire someone from within the Cards’ organization or go outside?
    Is there anyone in the Cards’ organization with the cred, experience and knowledge of Bowles’ system to convince Keim and BA to give him the job?

21. By Darren Urban on Dec 12, 2014 | Reply

Chuck 1 —

RE: DC

No one has said anything about that until now.

22. By Andy Kw on Dec 12, 2014 | Reply

REX GROSSMAN REX GROSSMAN!!!!!!!!
    I like to see Lindley improve but now we need a serious back up if he is going to start so why not sign a QB that has had success in his career. He might not know the system but signing him some time before Monday will give him plenty of time to learn some plays and he is a QB known to takes chances throwing down field. Dennis Dixon is not going to cut it.
    -Overall, the defense did great against the Rams. Frostee Rucker was playing like a beast stopping the run and pressuring the QB, Tommy Kelly, Campbell, & D. Williams did a nice job as well containing the run. Antonio Cromartie and Patrick Peterson contained the Rams’ receivers for the most part. Rashad Johnson had the interception before letting it slide through his grasp. Jerraud Powers allowed a few big first downs but bounced back by pressuring Shaun Hill with his blitzes and batted down passes. Alex Okafor, Larry Foote brought the heat on Shaun Hill all day. The Cards defense stopped the Rams on 3 & Outs for 5 consecutive drives in the third quarter which was mighty fine by them. The offense did okay when Stanton was playing but we were plagued by penalties. First drive, Jaron Brown caught a pass for the first down but an OL was penalized for a holding penality. Then we had a few false starts by the OL. We had a huge pass to Fitzgerald for a 20yd+ catch which would have been his 900th catch of his career but was called back. The offense needs to capitalize in the endzone and we need to improve ASAP.

23. By Marlin on Dec 12, 2014 | Reply

the sun’s a little brighter now…………..

24. By Dr. G. on Dec 12, 2014 | Reply

Just an idea – – Could Palmer or Stanton use a Segway on the field?

((Not any nuttier than some other things I have read and heard in the media.))

The harsh truth…. BOWLES DEFENSE GOT US HERE; The team just needs to score enough to win the games and no turnovers. It’s has been ugly on the Offensive side of the ball most of the season, and BA has not been a good OC calling the plays, but he will be coach of the year simply because he has the HC’s title. Without Bowles, who should be coach of the year, we would not have the success that brings the FANS the excitement we experience this season…be well CARDS FANS…

25. By Darren Urban on Dec 12, 2014 | Reply

Dr. G —

RE: Bowles

I think Bowles has done a great job. But I also remember all the fans screaming bloody murder when Horton left, because he was the only reason anything went well and who is Todd Bowles OMG the Cards are screwed …

26. By Dr. G. on Dec 12, 2014 | Reply

Darren – – Yes, I remember that screaming posted dialogue about Horton as well, but you may remember that I agreed with bringing in a new man for the DC position. In that Horton was considered for that HC job, it would have been close to impossible for him not to have resentment for the new HC and start out smoothly ((without subtle mutiny)). Horton was a sort of fiery guy. Bowles is indeed a pleasant surprise. I really like his smooth public demeanor, albeit he says he has his moments in the privacy of the clubhouse with his men.

And, I still think BA can be more objective by adding a play-calling OC next year…he could still monitor if necessary.

Thanks again for what you do…. We have no disagreement here.

27. By Coach K on Dec 12, 2014 | Reply

THIS IS A DIFFERENT LINDLEY, DIFFERENT COACH, DIFFERENT SYSTEM

I was watching Lindley’s body language in that Ram game and how quick his release was on the ball and I could not believe this was the same Lindley I remember from the Wiz days. He has matured and seems to have a calmness about him that I like to see in a QB.

I think he is going to surprise everyone in the next game with Seattle. This is definitely NOT the 2012 Ryan Lindley. This is a much more mature, older guy who knows the playbook and can execute the offense with much improved talent around him.

With our revamped running game and world champion defense, Lindley only needs to play within himself and this team will win.

28. By Coach K on Dec 12, 2014 | Reply

LINDLEY WILL SHOCK EVERYONE IN THIS NEXT GAME WITH SEATTLE.

Watch out for a huge running game and two passing touchdowns from Lindley in a very one sided Cardinal win. I am projecting a 24-10 win by the Cardinals at home. Lindley completes over 65% of his passes and throws a TD to Fitz, and another one to Williams on a screen pass. Add to that, Williams runs for another 100 yard rushing effort in this win.

Cardinals win 24-10. Take it to the bank.

29. By robert on Dec 12, 2014 | Reply

come on LINDlEY receive any sanps in practice all YEAR? how the heck is if to complete any passes?

30. By Chuck 1 on Dec 12, 2014 | Reply

I’m proud to be the first.

31. By Chuck 1 on Dec 12, 2014 | Reply

I beg to differ with you on this:

…”But I also remember “all” the fans screaming bloody murder when Horton left, because he was the only reason anything went well and who is Todd Bowles OMG the Cards are screwed …”

I was on record at that time, writing that the hand-wringing over Bowles’ hiring was overdone, let’s give him a chance to prove himself and he shouldn’t be judged by his Eagles’ defense’s performance because of it’s lack of talent or the Dolphins’ record when he was the Acting Coach.

32. By Red Dead Redemption on Dec 12, 2014 | Reply

– Darren

You also have to remember, Bowles did not impress when he took over from the Eagles. Nor did he impress in Miami before that. It was the pieces in place in those teams, they were not very got – we know that now. Bowles is an amazing coach and will be the coach of the 49ers next year (that is my bet).

But at the time? We had a coach announce Todd Bowles (Who? You meant the temp Def Cord for the Eagles,) was our new defensive cord. Arians the very same man who beat us in the 2008 Super Bowl. He even trolled us a bit about that playfully in Arians style.

There was a ton of Drama, and Horton left. There was even a rumor Horton was promised the head coaching job if they didn’t get Reid. That he was promised by Keim. Who knows what really happened?

Horton did a very good job here. You can’t blame the fans worried back then, about Bowles he was an unknown with a suspect past as far as numbers go as a Defensive Cord record.

That was not even mentioning Arians did not get the Bears job, over Mark Trestman one second (HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA). So at the times, fans being worried make sense.

It’s all puppy dogs and Christmas now.

33. By Lee W. Flanagan on Dec 13, 2014 | Reply

Darren, I tell you what. I am really impressed with all the group of guys that the Cardinals have on their team this year, not so much on how well they are playing as a team, but how well spoken, polite, humble, and their confidence. I think that this is resonating throughout the locker room. They had a few apples in the bunch but they are gone now and probably won’t be back. Any chance that you could ask Bowles if he would stay here and “ride this train out” and does he really want to leave all this just for a “head coaching” job somewhere else? We talk alot about BA alot but I believe that Bowles demeanor is maybe a bigger part.

34. By Lee W. Flanagan on Dec 13, 2014 | Reply

Back to the Stanton injury – I really believe that the way he got himself up and got off the field under his own power was extremely important to the continued success throughout the rest of the ballgame. Things could have gone really badly at that point if he would have stayed down and “moped and groaned”. He didn’t want anyone to feel sorry for him.

35. By tyman on Dec 13, 2014 | Reply

Now hope for a 49ers win this week and we can definatly sit Drew out next week.

36. By clssylssy on Dec 13, 2014 | Reply

GREAT NEWS ON STANTON! That guy is tough! So, like Aaron Rogers told his team…RELAX…come off the ledge and have faith in our coaches to steer us through this interim period preparing for the most important games of the season.
    They have as much (probably more) riding on the QB situation as anybody and have gotten us to this point. I like sexy Rexy Grossman but at this stage of the game don’t believe any outsider could come in and “pick up” BA’s offense (remember it took us almost half a season to get the basics) The game against the Rams was huge and we are now tied at 3-2 with them within the Division. We are going to need wins in the remaining games to take the Division, which,I personally believe is doable if our team plays like we did Thursday night (and with some work on our passing game). We want that Division Banner flying at UofP!.
    We may not be getting the respect and recognition we deserve from the national sports analysts but fans across the country love what we have managed to accomplish and are cheering for us (when we’re not playing their team). The Cards have made watching football fun again and I take that as a major contribution to the sport and tribute to our players, coaching staff and to the Birdgang.

37. By much.faster on Dec 13, 2014 | Reply

good news (oh god, how desparate must the situation be, to call this good news, lol).

and many thanks to our managment, who got the depth on the roster.
    don`t forget, a lot of teams had injuries, look only at the nfc west, the hawks, the 49`s the rams and our TEAM, all of them had a impressive list of injuries, but only two teams stood alive, the hawks and our TEAM, because the managment did their job, and more..

and lindley? if he could repeat the performance of the last game, to bring catanzaro four or five times in fieldgoalrange, the TEAM has a good chance to win. and if he get only one pass to fitzgerald for a touchdown, the TEAM will win.

38. By CORMAC on Dec 13, 2014 | Reply

PRAISE BABY JESUS he is OK!!!!!

39. By CORMAC on Dec 13, 2014 | Reply

You know whats funny, is how the MEDIA presses the NFL stars, and then they get all pissy with the questions. Then the MEDIA writes a story, and has bloggers. And the writers treat them the same way. I guess Sh## travels downhill!
    This comment is not just for this blog, but blogs in general as I read many in the NFL news.

40. By clssylssy on Dec 13, 2014 | Reply

I suspect that when the organization gave Bowles the extention, they knew very well that he was likely to be in demand on Black Monday. I would also suspect that they may have had a longterm goal in mind, something along the lines of “stick around and be BA’s successor when he decides to retire” with the option of leaving at any time he gets an offer he doesn’t feel he can refuse. There is a huge upside to staying put and not jumping at the first HC job that comes along, uprooting family (from grandchildren is a MAJOR consideration) but continuing to build upon something pretty unique and amazing. Most coaches who move on don’t do it by choice, and while it is the life they chose, priorities sometimes change with circumstances. It may be wishful thinking, but I have a feeling that Coach Bowles is pretty happy with life as it is in Cardinal land and I have a feeling we don’t have to obsess about something that may not happen for awhile in the near future.

41. By Dobie on Dec 13, 2014 | Reply

Like I wrote be for Lindley did not have a good O-line when he played in 2012 and all the other QB that year what a game to learn hope he does good just need to be cool and read the defense

42. By bow3712 on Dec 14, 2014 | Reply

I don’t know what game some of y’all watched on Thursday. I saw Lindley try very hard to give the ball away at least 4 times, all the guy does is throw picks.

I would not be surprised at all to see a close game against the Sea Chickens, lost because of at least 2 interceptions. I would much rather see Logan Thomas than the pick master, Lindley, next week.

43. By jme on Dec 14, 2014 | Reply

i saw Lindley step up, i have his back. Yes some close calls in a game thru a prism but guess what no turnovers so stop using those hypotheticals in any arguement.
    Lets go Cardinals!!! Lets go Ryan!!! The Red D!!!!