Another loss: Stinson goes to injured reserve

Posted by Darren Urban on December 16, 2014 – 9:52 am

The Cardinals tried to get defensive tackle Ed Stinson rehabbed and ready, but the rookie never could quite get over the toe injury that has hobbled him for weeks now. So Tuesday, the Cards did what they had to and put Stinson on injured reserve, ending his season. Only makes sense in this unconventional year of winning despite guys going down left and right.

To fill his spot on the roster, the Cardinals promoted wide receiver Brittan Golden from the practice squad. They filled Golden’s practice squad spot by re-signing running back Zach Bauman.

Stinson was the hidden nugget of the 2014 draft class. He was playing well before the toe injury cropped up against the home game against the Rams Nov. 9. He missed the next four games and tried to give it a go Thursday in St. Louis against the Rams. He played just two defensive snaps.

“He tried to go on it, didn’t work,” coach Bruce Arians said Monday. “We’ll just see what’s in the best interest of him and us.”

The best interest was shutting Stinson down. In the search for silver linings, the Cards have essentially been without Stinson for five games and have been playing well, so they can deal with his absence. Plus, Golden did have a 63-yard catch in the Cardinals’ upset win over the Seahawks in the next-to-last game of 2013, so maybe it’s about tapping into history here.

StinsonDownBLOG

Tags: , ,

43 Responses to “Another loss: Stinson goes to injured reserve”

1. By Lisa Novin on Dec 16, 2014 | Reply

This is what Dreams and movies are made of, folks. 3rd, 4th string training and giving their ALL for a chance that may or may not come to be. The Talent’s there, the Best of the Best obviously (they were drafted, chosen for good reason) together backed with Heart, the right combination of hard work, passion and calm to execute. I’m Ready for the Ride! We Believe! #BIRDGANG @azcardinals @brucearians @larryfitzgerald

2. By Patrick Hoog aka Don't Take Losses on Dec 16, 2014 | Reply

In the category of “kind of wish I hadn’t read that”:

” He is not expected to be in the mix at the position at any point, even with the injury to Drew Stanton.” re Jeff Mathews, lol…

3. By NickPepe on Dec 16, 2014 | Reply

Darren –

Can you acquire a sponsor for “The Weekly Who’s Going to IR Report”, brought to you by Trans-Care Ambulance Service, where kids ride-along free!!
    Remember folks, if there is more than one player moved to IR in a week, free coffee for all”

Hope all works out well for Stinson. He has a solid future.

Next Man Up, again.

Nick Pepe
    Lifetime Member ’70-’71

4. By rod on Dec 16, 2014 | Reply

Someone really needs to look at some numbers and compare them to all time teams suffering injuries and see where we fit in. Not me though.

5. By Dynosoar on Dec 16, 2014 | Reply

JTDG,

What impressed me most about Russell Wilson last year was how he Did Not Take Sacks. He threw the ball away even if he was being sacked. He didn’t take a 9+ yard loss for a sack.

I think this is what our QBs should do, don’t take a sack, even when in the grasp, throw the ball away.

I like your thoughts on BA and Tom Moore teaching Lindley and Thomas. As to whether Thomas should or should not have been drafted, I offer this insight. Logan Thomas is raw, which means he’s not set in his ways.

As a fencing coach, I get fencers that come into my club from other coaches or who have been part of our club for years. They all have habits formed. A couple years ago, I got a friend and we got together for almost three months for one to two hours for almost three months. One on one private instruction and he’d never fenced before in his life.

At the end of two months he was holding his own in bouts against fencers who had up to six years of experience. The completely private instruction made the difference. It is entirely possible that BA and staff believe with all the raw talent Logan Tomas has, that just like my friend’s fencing training, they can teach him and he will become an elite QB without the need to address 12+ years of bad habits.

I trust BA knows what he has to deal with and perhaps he’s wrong about Thomas becoming a great QB someday and I’m offering this story as another explanation/assessment of Logan as to whether he’s a good project.

My experience says he may become one of the best QBs ever, because he will be the product of only two coaching systems (college and BA/Moore/Kitchens/Goodwin) in his training as a QB instead of youth, JV, High School, College and NFL coaching.

6. By D on Dec 16, 2014 | Reply

Darren
    Any news on Mr.Keim getting any existing players extended prior to the end of the year? I remember him saying T. Kelley would be one to extend if possible. I realize CRO will want to test the market first, but he would be wise if he wants to win to see what Mr. Keim offers..

7. By Darren Urban on Dec 16, 2014 | Reply

D —

RE: Extensions

I have not heard anything of late.

8. By Dynosoar on Dec 16, 2014 | Reply

I like Stinson. Like I said before (and others have as well) our IR team may be 10 win team this season and play as a Wild Card.

9. By LadyBird04 on Dec 16, 2014 | Reply

Have we set a record for “players total lost games” for a single season? Talk about making something out of nothing. Arians should get Coach of the Year and Bowles should get the new AP award of Assistant Coach of the Year. These should be given to them in our stadium as the Cardinals win the Super Bowl. They get my vote.

10. By Dynosoar on Dec 16, 2014 | Reply

Another thought on Thomas, I read a lot of posts saying Logan is the best option for THIS game against Seattle. I believe (although I haven’t asked him) that BA is grooming Logan Thomas to be one of the 5 or 6 elite QB’s in the league when he does take the field and that can’t happen if he’s “thrown to the wolves” just to win one game.

Everyone wants a franchise QB. Max Hall beat New Orleans and went downhill afterwards. I feel Logan Thomas will be used in one of two situations, if Like in Denver we have no one else to turn to or when he’s ready to take the reins like Rodgers taking over for Favre.

These two BA quotes are the basis for my thoughts above.

“Logan’s going to be a great player,” Arians said. “Sometimes you can put guys in positions to fail. I want him to succeed when he plays. He didn’t have that opportunity in Denver, although he did some good things.”

“It was not a time to put Logan out there,” Arians said. “He will be a good player someday but he’s not ready for this yet.”

And regarding Lindley, (I throw this one in at no extra charge.)

“Go sling it, baby,” Arians told Lindley. “Go have fun. You’re here for a reason. You’re only on this team because you’re talented enough to be here. You have everything it takes to win the game.”

11. By Dynosoar on Dec 16, 2014 | Reply

I have a friend from my hometown in Knoxville, TN who watches more college football than anyone except JTDG (and maybe one or two others. He’s not married so his Saturdays and his DVR are always filled with college games for weekday evenings.) I was telling him we have Jeff Mathews and he was like “Wow! He did some great things in college. I remember hearing of him often. You did good with that one. I wonder how he went undrafted.”

He did acknowledge he couldn’t remember watching him play, but he knew who he was and said if we don’t keep him he’d be a good replacement for his franchise QB. (He’s a Bears fan and more than a little disappointed/frustrated. Then again, it was the drive before halftime against the Saints when we were talking and that may have been influencing him. Haha!)

I don’t know much about Mathews yet, but my college football guru of a friend is impressed.

Anyone with more on Mathews than this?

The Lombardi trophy or nothing at all!

12. By Marlin on Dec 16, 2014 | Reply

seems like they should be able to design a shoe that will help prevent some of these toe injuries

13. By Brad on Dec 16, 2014 | Reply

I love the confidence that BA has for every player that suits up for the game! It translates well in their play!

14. By Andy Kw on Dec 16, 2014 | Reply

The Brittan Golden signing was exactly what I was hoping for. Bring back the troop that beat the Hawk’s last year.

15. By Eric G on Dec 16, 2014 | Reply

Man, with all these guys on the IR, and to think of how great this team is, its truly scary to think of what this team will be like next year. Man oh man, if we can get a right OT and a few others, just think of it.
    (Scary for the rest of the NFL that is).

16. By Marlin on Dec 16, 2014 | Reply

DARREN,
    JUST HEARD J. COOPER BROKE HIS WRIST? TRUE? ANY NEWS ON FANAIKA?

17. By Darren Urban on Dec 16, 2014 | Reply

Marlin —

RE: Cooper

18. By joe.holst on Dec 16, 2014 | Reply

injured against the rams, they did a number on our team but we still swept them

19. By Scott H on Dec 16, 2014 | Reply

My God, have these games against the friggin Rams killed us this year. or what??? We won the games, but….paid a pretty steep price.

Perhaps the Rams could take out a few players in Week 17 at Seattle?

I think I’m just numb to the losses at this point. How can ya NOT be after all the losses we’ve had to swallow? On the positive side, we are getting the Honey Badger back, yes?

Darren – the Cards COULD lose on Sunday and still win the division with a win and Seahawks loss in Week 17, correct?

20. By Darren Urban on Dec 16, 2014 | Reply

Scott H —

RE: NFC West

Correct. Cards would finish 12-4, Seahawks 11-5 in that scenario.

21. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Dec 16, 2014 | Reply

The way this season has gone, I’m surprised we haven’t lost any cheerleaders to season-ending injury reserve yet.

22. By Craig on Dec 16, 2014 | Reply

Losing Stinson sucks. I thought he was our best rookie. One of our best defensive players. Big future for him.

23. By Kevin S Mesa on Dec 16, 2014 | Reply

Great that we’re in the playoffs, but SO much riding on this game. Win, and we’re the #1 seed… get a bye… host all playoff games for as long as we stay in… makes no difference what happens the following Sunday so we can play Lindley, Thomas or my grandmother. We can let everyone rest a week who’s even slightly injured. We give Stanton an extra week to recover before our first playoff game.

Lose, and we are at best the 5 seed (unless Seattle loses in the final week and we win, but if Seattle beats us, they ain’t losing the division title the last week). And possibly could even fall to 6 if we lose again the following week. The 5 seed, of course, gets to play the NFC South winner, which is a lot better than playing the 3 seed (whoever that turns out to be), but even so, we already lost to Altanta on the road and no one wants to play New Orleans at home in the playoffs even though they haven’t defended their home turf well this year. Best case scenario, it seems to me, is Atlanta beating New Orleans this week to give them both 6-9 records, Carolina winning against Cleveland to go to 6-8-1, and then Carolina beating Atlanta the last week to win the division. I’d rather play Carolina than either of Atlanta or New Orleans.

Hopefully we win Sunday and don’t have to worry about who wins the South.

24. By shannon robinson on Dec 16, 2014 | Reply

I think moving Brittan onto the active roster is brilliant. Lindley has spent more time throwing to Golden than any other player on the team. I call him ‘Money’ because of his last name and the clutch way he plays. Brittan is also 26 which makes him the third oldest receiver on the team. Having two years of experience, he’s had five years at his craft in the pros. He might be a big surprise. Ed Stinson I liked a lot also because he’s my idea of a Darnell Dockett clone, just like Kareem the Dream is as close as you get to a Calais twin. Ed played better as the season progressed and held his own inside in some tough games – I’m trying to remember him as a fifth round pick, but what a steal! Thank you Mr. Keim again and a tip of the Cardinal Wing to Ed Stinson, Roll Tide!

25. By Berdj Rassam on Dec 16, 2014 | Reply

Battle as the Cardinals will, it’s still going to be tough to advance in the playoffs with your top 2 QBs not playing.

26. By Scott H on Dec 16, 2014 | Reply

Kevin –

Yes, the way to get everything we want is to win on Sunday. I say they can.

I would NOT rule out the Rams beating Seattle in Week 17. The Rams play that team tougher than anyone these days. They may want to go all out in that last week, go into their off-season on a memorable note.

27. By rod on Dec 16, 2014 | Reply

Here’s a link to a draft breakdown YouTube video of the new practice squad QB Jeff Mathews – http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yeqahH1z6vY

Who does he remind you of? Tom Brady

Even his combine run looks like Brady’s.

This kid loooves to sling it!

28. By TucsonTim on Dec 16, 2014 | Reply

Anyone who wouldn’t love this scenario: Cards upset Hawks to hold onto to top seed; Rams knock Hawks out of the playoffs. 🙂

29. By Bryan on Dec 16, 2014 | Reply

2 Things.

1. Why isn’t there more buzz surrounding the departure of John Lott with all of these injuries we have had this season. I can see a correlation between some of these injuries and that change.

2. That tackle he made in Dallas on the QB when it looked like he had a clear 1st down pickup on a sneak was a huge play at that moment in the game, See you next year Ed. You really came into your own.

30. By Darren Urban on Dec 17, 2014 | Reply

Bryan —

RE: “I can see”

What correlation, exactly, do you see?

31. By Dynosoar on Dec 16, 2014 | Reply

Please if someone thinks I’m in error enough to give me thumbs down (except for the one person I can count on to always give me a down because of my name, hello my friend)

Please explain why. I’m explaining why I believe as I do and see things one way, if you think I’m in error please show me why. I’ve changed my oppinion many times because I saw a bigger picture thanks to someone showing it to me. (Although, sometimes I do double down, but that makes for good discussion.)

I just learned something in a discussion elswhere because someone was willing to disagree with me and give me reason why. Russell Wilson has 12 TDs and 1 Int in road games this season. Too bad Honey Badger is wearing a cast.

This may be the best NFL game all season. It’s a good thing we were scheduled for Sunday night, because it wouldn’t have been flexed.

32. By Johndiddo on Dec 16, 2014 | Reply

Question 1. Solid offensive line wouldn’t you say?
    Question 2. Carson Palmer is 35 with a second ACL injury, would you consider a longterm replacement such as Bryce Petty from Baylor, Garrett Grayson from Colorado State, or Dak Prescott from Mississippi State?
    Question 3. Do you think Brittan Golden is a solid addition to Ed Stinson?

Thank you.

33. By Darren Urban on Dec 17, 2014 | Reply

John —

RE: Questions

1. Yes
    2. Depends on how they are evaluated. Too early for me for that discussion.
    3. I think they like Golden.

34. By Jimmy on Dec 16, 2014 | Reply

OMG Lindley am I really hearing this ? I have not seen one good thing out of this guy. Even Stanton is just ok, I think Skelton was better than Stanton with a decent line. Lindley, honestly I do not understand why he was kept in 2013, Skelton won out the 2011 season with an ok line, at least he proved something, he can’t be blamed for everything in 2012. Now Lindley is back against Seattle, the Jets game is etched in my memory.

35. By Richard L on Dec 17, 2014 | Reply

The best measure of injury and IR affecting an NFL Teams is the Adjusted Games Lost report. Currently there isn’t an updated report for 2014, however, I venture to guess we are in the top spot with about 72 AGL thus far. Last year we were 17th with the NY Giants with the most at 82.7. The Cards average over the past 3 years was 8th in the league. Report details listed below.

Adjusted Games Lost Report 2009-2013

Team 2013 2012 2011 2010 2009 5-yr 4-yr 3-yr
    ARI 64.9 72.3 86.8 38.3 24.4 286.7 262.3 224

36. By JohnnyBluenose on Dec 17, 2014 | Reply

Scott H…I agree, the Rams will give it a shot. But that game is in Seattle and a lot of weird things would have to happen for Seattle not to win. Plus the fact that Seattle will be very motivated to win that game makes it very unlikely that the Rams have much of a chance. I think our only real chance is to win on Sunday. At least destiny is in our own hands. We don’t have to rely on some other team doing us a favour by winning or losing..

37. By Marlin on Dec 17, 2014 | Reply

Wish there was a way to get all of us season ticket holders to refrain from selling any tix for Sunday night’s game.

38. By W on Dec 17, 2014 | Reply

Darren-

Are the injuries tied to losing John Lott?

39. By Darren Urban on Dec 17, 2014 | Reply

W —

RE: Lott

I do not think the injuries the Cards have suffered are tied to Lott’s departure, no.

40. By Mike Lonergan on Dec 17, 2014 | Reply

The Cardinals are a heckuva a team that is playing to their best or very close to it. Keep making the most out of every opportunity gentlemen and play bold and strong.

41. By Scott H on Dec 17, 2014 | Reply

Jimmy –

Forget 2011, forget 2012, forget Skelton. What do any of those things have to do with Week 15 of the 2014 season?

The Cardinals were awful during those seasons and very little of that had to do with LIndley. The 2014 Cardinals are a different – and much more lethal – bird. Lindley has a chance to be part of something historic on Sunday. You can look back if you want. But why? That offers nothing. I’m looking forward to what could be a Sunday we will never forget.

42. By Scott H on Dec 18, 2014 | Reply

JohnnyBluenose –

Well, look at all the weird things that happened in the last game between the Rams and Seahawks! The punt that no one ( even the camera man ) could follow…the fake punt for a first down…

I imagine the Seahawks won’t fall for such tricks a 2nd time, but who knows, maybe the Rams will have something else up their sleeves. What they pulled off in the earlier game between them showed just how bad the Rams wanted that game. Maybe they’ll want this one, too, and maybe they’ll be willing to go all out to get it. I think they were feeling pretty good about themselves a few weeks ago, crushing some bad teams the way they were, enjoying the momentum and the attention they were suddenly getting from the media. Then, they ran into the Cardinals and got knocked back. I believe the Rams are gonna want to get back on track, send notice that they are legit going into next year, end 2014 on a high note.

What better way than to beat the Seahawks at home??? They are a team that CAN go into Seattle and win there. I hope we don’t NEED them to, but…if we do, they can win that game.

2. Dec 17, 2014: 12/17 Arizona Cardinals news: Preparing for the Seahawks | nflfans247.net