Friday before the (biggest) Seahawks (game)

Posted by Darren Urban on December 19, 2014 – 4:56 pm

First, a history lesson. Or at least a flashback.

I was there in New Jersey in 2012 as the life drained out of the Ken Whisenhunt regime and the Cardinals, when Ryan Lindley started against the Jets in what might have been the ugliest game ever. You remember, when the Cards nursed a 3-0 lead into the fourth quarter and eventually lost, 7-6. The game was striking because Lindley simply could not move the offense that day, and Whisenhunt refused to put in backup John Skelton.

Lindley completed just 10 of 31 passes for 72 yards, and that, more than the four interceptions he had against the Rams in a loss the week before or his Lions start that the Cards won because of defense and Beanie Wells, is what I remember most of Lindley 1.0.

What will Lindley 2.0 look like?

He’s had a week to practice with the first unit, and he’ll be playing with a better offensive line than he had back then. Honestly, I have no idea what Lindley will do Sunday, or how he will play. Sure, we could see the guy who has the 0-to-7 TD-to-interception ratio in his career. The Seahawks can make a lot of quarterbacks look poor (Drew Stanton didn’t exactly dominate against the Seahawks in the earlier game). But maybe he’ll be enough. Maybe, in a year where the Cards simply find a way to win at home every time, he’ll make the plays. Carson Palmer threw four interceptions just about this time last year against the Seahawks – in Seattle – and the Cards still managed to win.

That was because of defense and a commitment to the run, and the Cards should have both again Sunday. Lindley doesn’t have to be Aaron Rodgers. He just can’t be Lindley 1.0.

— The biggest thing that struck me this week was the confidence around the team. I’ve been around this franchise for 15 years, in this building the last eight. I know when the mood in the locker room skews bad, or when there is concern where the team sits. And from my vantage point, that isn’t the case right now.

I don’t know if that’s confidence in Lindley, or knowledge a playoff berth is already secure regardless of the outcome Sunday, or Arians’ trickle-down mindset. But mentally, the Cardinals are in the right place. We’ll see if that translates against the Seahawks.

— The Cardinals will wear their red-and-red uniform combo for the game. I could talk about what a great record they have wearing that combo, but I’m one of those that doesn’t believe uniforms make a difference, so, yeah. They are wearing red-and-red.

— Palmer was in the locker room after practice today, walking around although noting that was about all he can do at this point. He won’t be attending Sunday’s game, he said, because after about an hour of standing his surgically-repaired knee would swell considerably. He also wouldn’t want to think about getting hit on accident on the sideline – he’s not super mobile – and hurting his knee all over again.

“I’m too old for that,” he said.

— A hint for halftime Sunday if you are going to the game: You might not want to leave your seats. A special six-minute laser light and video show that highlights the season and pays tribute to the fans will be played. It incorporates 12 laser light projectors to create graphics on the field and the roof. Should be fun.

— Goodness, these Tim Tebow fans

— Defensive end Frostee Rucker played for Seahawks coach Pete Carroll at USC, and this week, Carroll  talked about how Rucker was a tailback coming out of high school.

“When we got him we weren’t sure where to play him because he was growing at an alarming rate,” Carroll said. “He was no longer in tailback kind of profile. We moved him around. He was such a good athlete and such a good player that we finally found a place for him to play on the D-line where he wound up.

“But he dotted the ‘I’ pretty well there at tailback in the old days — wing-T, he brought it to life when he was in the game.”

Rucker smiled when told Carroll remembered back then. “That was back in my heyday,” Rucker said, noting that his position change was the best thing for him. “I still need to thank him for that.”

The Cards will too. Frostee has been a lifesaver.

— The Cards need the run game. There are some wondering if the two-game surge in running production – 141 and 143 yards the last two games – was because of Jonathan Cooper’s insertion into the lineup, and if it goes away now that Cooper is out with a wrist injury. I think Cooper might have helped. It might have helped that Ted Larsen was playing the right side. It definitely helped that Kerwynn Williams got on the field. And if the Cards take a step back, it may be more about the defense they are playing than anything else.

— Got to keep Russell Wilson contained. Can’t give the Seahawks short fields, whether off turnovers or bad special teams play or poor punts. The Cardinals do that, I think they are in this game.

And if they are in the game in the fourth quarter, we’ll see what happens.

B4seablog

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

49 Responses to “Friday before the (biggest) Seahawks (game)”

1. By Scott H on Dec 19, 2014 | Reply

I’m glad to see the red / red uniforms. They always play nasty when they wear that combo! Although I think there will PLENTY of nasty on that field Sunday. For the Cardinals, this is the game you empty your tank for. All out, start to finish.

BA and the coaches will have a plan to win this game, and I believe the Cardinals will be up to executing that plan, whatever it may be. They will do what they have done all year. That has worked all year. Why try to change anything now?

IF the Seahawks win this game simply because they were / are the better team, then so be it. But I KNOW the Cardinals can out-play this team for 60 minutes. And if they can do that….why not us??!!

2. By robert on Dec 19, 2014 | Reply

you got to be kidding me with cooper..he finally makes the field…but oops, hurt his wrist.we didn’t run the ball the whole year until he got to play

3. By Marlin on Dec 19, 2014 | Reply

Thanks for the tip about halftime….we won’t leave our seats !!!!!

4. By Jerry on Dec 19, 2014 | Reply

You answered a question for me, I was wondering if the roof was going to be open since it hasn’t been all season. There are a lot of positives going into this game. I’ve been on Cardinals sites tryibg to get a Lindley chant going after he is introduced, so far I have a lot of fans promoting this, we’ll see. I’m anxious to see the package that Logan has just to see how well he has progressed since training. Lets go and get this win

5. By Patrick Hoog aka Don't Take Losses on Dec 19, 2014 | Reply

One Thing: if the Cards, every player, every play, play to the whistle…we have as good of a chance to win as a crooked ball allows. No reason to think they will not. Wow this is gonna be fun.

6. By jwoodaz on Dec 19, 2014 | Reply

Secretly thought Frostee and Tommy have been the difference this season, no slam to Campbell, he’s usually double teamed(and I bet he appreciates Dockett even more), but Kelly and Rucker have been the beasts, even better they sinc well with Williams and Campbell, can’t double team all of them. It must burn Dockett to have to watch and not get in those lines and hit somebody, with as awesome as this D line has been this year! Keep it rollin boys, Go Cards!!

7. By Steve on Dec 19, 2014 | Reply

Darren: Speaking of Whisenhunt, are you surprised at the poor job (just my opinion) he has done so far in Tennessee? Ken always struck me as being a good X’s and O’s coach but not as good in evaluating talent which was the opposite problem with Dennis Green when he coached the Cards. Ken could have had the Lions job and inherited a much better roster than the Titans team he choose to take over, not very smart.

8. By CreditCard on Dec 19, 2014 | Reply

If Danger Dan Williams has an excellent game, the Cards will win. Williams has an ability to push the line of scrimmage back, which destroys gaps and creases for Lynch and company. Pushing the pocket backward will squeeze Wilson and lanes for him to scramble out. Williams needs to play big.

9. By sbrown on Dec 19, 2014 | Reply

Sunday night, prime time game for all the US to watch. The Cards will need to beat the best, to be the best and I will be there to see it ! Just like the super bowl season when the Cards beat the Eagles in our stadium, I want to walk out of UoP Sunday night with that same feeling after the Cards beat the Seahawks to be the #1 seed. GO CARDINALS and Rise Up RED SEA !! we can do it !!

10. By Bay Area Bad Boy on Dec 19, 2014 | Reply

I like our chance in Glendale. We play the Hawk tough and we owe them one from earlier in the year. No one believes we can win, but I think if Lindley can manage the offense without throwing interceptions we can pull it off. But we have to win on the line of scrimmage and we have to win special teams as well. Big big game. I’m glad its at home and I’m happy to hear the team is confident. We win and we shock the league because no one thinks we can win except us. GO CARDS !!!!!!!

11. By TucsonTim on Dec 19, 2014 | Reply

Shock the world!

12. By georgiebird on Dec 19, 2014 | Reply

If PP plays a very good game, then the Cards will be in it until the end. If PP becomes an easy prey, then it could be a long day.

13. By rod on Dec 20, 2014 | Reply

Cooper, 2 games in 2 seasons. That’s just great.

14. By Richard L on Dec 20, 2014 | Reply

Frostee Rucker at tailback, now that’s an idea. Thanks Pete!

15. By Eazy E on Dec 20, 2014 | Reply

I love the Red on Red! 2nd best jerseys behind the Black! Cards fans I hate to say it but we have to play a PERFECT game to beat the Seahawks. They are killing people lately and we have Ryan Lindley at QB. They need to have a score from Ginn Jr. on kickoff or punt or both, at least 1 defensive score, and hope we can get in once on offense!

16. By Eazy E on Dec 20, 2014 | Reply

Defense is going to have to play even better and sounder than usual.

17. By kache on Dec 20, 2014 | Reply

Go cards…..its a good feeling when ur at a sports bar watching the game and ur the only CARDINAL in the joint….specially when we beat the NINERS…i only wish that the TEBOW comment would of been true….but CARDS all the way

18. By LadyBird04 on Dec 20, 2014 | Reply

As they don’t play any halftime shows on tv, is there any way for Santa (you) to get the half-time light show on this site? Really miss going to the games and most in SW Florida don’t even know who the Cardinals are.

We’ll be watching, cheering and holding our breaths Sunday night. Go Cards!

19. By Darren Urban on Dec 20, 2014 | Reply

LadyBird —

RE: Halftime show

I don’t think that is an option.

20. By NickPepe on Dec 20, 2014 | Reply

Does it get any better than this? 11-3, holding the #1 seed, and still get to play the underdog role. At home. In prime-time! I love the doubters. I have heard it over and over again this week. We have no chance. Apparently, it doesn’t require a team to be any good in order to be 11-3 in the NFL these days. Just luck

We win this game. We will control the clock, and keep field position in our favor. I think we will have success running the ball. And I also think Lindley will connect on a couple deep balls. Fitz is going to have a big game- the bigger the stage, the better the performance. He somehow elevates his greatness to a whole different level. We have a core of veterans who knows what it takes to be in, and win, a big game. And most importantly we have what I am calling “64 thousand and ONE”. We have 64,000 (plus) fans that will be rocking the house, for 60 minutes and we have the ONE (and only)….. best coach in the NFL. Uncle Bruce will have this team prepared in all facets. I truly believe we will play our best game of the year.

I am ready and it’s starting to show. I did get a little vociferous with an Eagle fan at my Elks Lodge. He pushed a button! I “politely” reminded him that he, his opinion, and his Eagles are not relevant. I am paraphrasing here, left out the good stuff. Language was clean, cant use foul language at the Lodge!! Have to channel my emotions and energy where it is needed.

I am not worried about Wilson. I am not worried about Lynch. I am not worried about their vaunted Defense. The thing that worries me most on Sunday is trying to decide how to spend 7:00am thru 7:30pm here in Delaware! That is going to be tough. Perhaps it will be warm enough to tee it up, that will help kill 4 hours or so.

Bring it home BirdGang!! Be loud and be proud !!! CANT WAIT !!

Nick Pepe
    Lifetime Member “70-“71
    Merry Christmas Everyone

21. By card62 on Dec 20, 2014 | Reply

Darren I agree with you that special teams will be what decides this game. I think we lost the first game with Seattle because of our special teams but I have to give them some love because I credit them with the win in the Rams game.

Our defense solid all year besides Atlanta and Denver so I know they will play well, and our offense will struggle like they have all year to score points. Hope we do not need the Thomas package at QB, but I think it is smart coaching to have this backup plan when Lindley is your starter. I hope for the best with Lindley . Think our defense will play well again verses R. Wilson but Wilson will make a few plays so field position is critical.

Just have the filling that Patrick Peterson is going to have his best game of the year. Think he will be up for the Sherman challenge.

Robert I agree with you on Cooper. Very very disappointing. I was set on him for next year and then he plays this year and is not perfect but is showing lots of promise so he gets me excited again and then he is out again.
    I think they would have benched Larsen, but it would have been interesting to see which guard the coaching staff would have benched.

Go Cards predicting a 16-13 Cardinal victory and perfect 8-0 home record

22. By JohnnyBluenose on Dec 20, 2014 | Reply

Hoping for a win tomorrow…shut down their running game and contain and sack Wilson a few times and all we need is 17 points to win this game. That’s not impossible. Whiz has been mentioned a few times and I know this blog is mostly about our present day Cardinals but I want to point out that Whiz’s record as a head coach in the NFL over his last 27 games is 3-24. That is pretty ugly. I know he had some good years here and he was our coach when we made our first trip to the SuperBowl so he deserves a bit of credit and gratitude for that but what I remember most about Whiz was how stubborn and even nasty he was concerning our quarterbacks during his last two years in Arizona. His time in Tennessee may mirror that. Keep going Cardinals…..find a way.

23. By joe67 on Dec 20, 2014 | Reply

Ryan Lindley
    Just remember the basics
    When going deep, always better to be long than to be short,
    Don’t be afraid to throw it away rather than try and force something
    A sack is better than a pik.
    Don’t try and be a hero. Go out relax as much as possible, have fun and enjoy the moment. Who knows what might happen.

Fans make a lot noise. Want to hear you all the way up here. You CAN make a difference!!

24. By Rick on Dec 20, 2014 | Reply

Well once again all I have been hearing on sports center is how the Seahawks are going to just come in our building and dominate. I take that personally as we are undefeated in our building guys. That’s not only a shot at our team but us as fans as well. Let’s get LOUDER than EVER tomorrow night and show not only the Seahawks but the entire world the reason why we are undefeated at home because we have the best fans in all of football. The RED SEA will rise tomorrow night and it will be LOUD !!! Go Cards

25. By Dynosoar on Dec 20, 2014 | Reply

“Goodness, these Tim Tebow fans …”

Good one Darren and oh so appropriate.

A week or so ago I said I didn’t want anyone but our Cardinals in their locker in the Super Bowl and especially not the Seahawks. I just listened to an interview on NFL.com with PP and he said Coach Arians has told them from OA’s that the goal is to never let anyone but the Cardinals use the Cardinals locker room.

And that my friends is the goal.

The Lombardi trophy or nothing at all!

And if that means playing and winning with a third string QB the that’s what this team will do. (and how long will Stanton be a second string and Lindley a third string if we make and win the Super Bowl and they helped get us there?) There are several teams who’ve given up on all there QBs (apparently they didn’t learn from our quarterback carousel woes of years past).

26. By Dynosoar on Dec 20, 2014 | Reply

I keep hearing Seattle fans and “experts’ say they have the #1 defense and we’re #14… well they’ve allowed 242 points this season and we’ve allowed 244. In the one statistic that matters, points… we are equal.

This is ours to win, they are in our house and We Don’t Lose In Our House.

We Just Win!

The Lombardi trophy or nothing at all!

27. By Dynosoar on Dec 20, 2014 | Reply

Nick Pepe,

I was reading a comment on NFL.com (I really need to stop going there, my touting what an awesome team we have is falling flat. It appears that some peoples truths have to be of a predetermined shape, size and color to fit into there head.)

So this comment said the Cardinals is a dumb team name and we should change it. How about the Arizona Underdogs?

I loved BA’s comments on this. He said something along the lines of he believes all the betting lines have us as underdogs, but that’s ok, that’s how we like it, because we don’t play betting lines. We play football.

The Cardinals jersey I wear most is #32 and that’s appropriate, it’s our projected draft position next year.

The Lombardi trophy or nothing at all! Let’s keep the Cardinals uniforms in their own lockers (except for the one trip to San Fran) till the second week of February.

(Patrick Peterson, you are correct sir, the tape doesn’t lie and I like your tape better than Sherman’s.)

28. By Dynosoar on Dec 20, 2014 | Reply

Nick Pepe (and those others of you in the Philadelphia area),

I was in Scouts as a youth and only earned my First Class. I get asked why I didn’t get my Eagle and my reply is simple “I couldn’t fathom being a Eagle for life. I’m a Cardinals Fan.”

(If I’d have earned my Eagle, I’d be a bald Eagle.)

Let’s keep our teams jerseys in their own lockers for the Super Bowl.

The Lombardi trophy or nothing at all!

29. By louis on Dec 20, 2014 | Reply

WE had a great year . But be realistic we can’t win with a third string Q.B. against a good team like seattle.

30. By clssylssy on Dec 20, 2014 | Reply

Darren: You need to fix the “Note Cards” as it’s giving a 404 error and not posting.
    Thanks, (love this feature!)

31. By Duane Spencer on Dec 20, 2014 | Reply

Redbird Lifer (almost 50 years) here..and am so torn. I didn’t know whether to S*** or go blind for most of this week. Nervous and the “old Cards” visions keep trying to mess me up.
    BUT, you know what? It Doesn’t matter, what I need to do more than anything for this game is to remember to give credit to God for giving us this season. Michael Bidwell, Steve Keim, Uncle Bruce, the incredible fans at UoP Stadium, all of the players that have given all of us so much joy. All these years leading up to this miracle season! WOW, can you believe this. 11-3 , Best record in the NFL, Best TEAM in the NFL…. And us…the Cardinal Faithful that will spend all of our spare time thinking of moments like this…..
    THANK YOU ALL from the bottom of this old mans heart.

32. By Scott H on Dec 20, 2014 | Reply

Nick Pepe –

After losing the Redskins just a little while ago, I think your Eagle fan buddy should probably just shut up and not have anything to say. Eagle fans are truly an ignorant / arrogant lot. That is their defining characteristic. They think they are such tough guys, ya know? They think the ground trembles beneath their feet when they walk. But, man, do they CRY and WHINE like babies when another season starts going down the tubes.

After they beat Dallas on Thanksgiving, Eagle fans thought they had the NFC wrapped up. They were gonna beat Seattle and ( Of course ) they were gonna throttle Dallas again and then they were gonna be the top seed in the NFC and it didn’t matter WHO they had to play in the playoffs, because NO one was gonna be able to deal with them.

Well, Eagles fans…..how’s all that workin’ out for ya now? Have fun watching the Colts / Cowboys tomorrow, biting your nails up to your elbows hoping that the Colts can keep your pathetic hopes alive for another week! Losers…..

So much hype about Chip Kelly and that super up-tempo offense of his….no thanks. Give me Bruce Arians ANY DAY.

I also think the Eagles are finding out what life with Billy Davis is REALLY like. Ya think they’re missing Todd Bowles these days? hee-hee-hee…….

33. By Nick Pepe on Dec 20, 2014 | Reply

@louis- go to your room.
    And don’t come out until your a Buccaneer fan.

34. By Scott H on Dec 20, 2014 | Reply

I did not sleep as well last night as I normally do and I know it’s this Sunday night game that has me pretty worked up. But this intensity is a LOT of fun!!! Being top seed in the conference, having a first round bye and home field advantage throughout the playoffs….geez, up until now, these were just things you heard about but they only seemed to exist for OTHER teams like the Broncos, Patriots, or Steelers. But this crazy dream is now possible for OUR Arizona Cardinals!!!!

Oh, man….man, oh, man….this is so damn cool!!!!

35. By Nick Pepe on Dec 20, 2014 | Reply

Scott- I agree 100 %. They are legends in their own minds.
    The ending was sooo fitting

36. By NJAzCardsFan on Dec 20, 2014 | Reply

I wonder what the Cards record and outcome this season would have been, if Washington, Dockett, Abraham, Palmer etc., would have been playing together from day one……. 15-1??? SB???
    A Cards win would make the “so-called” experts look like the idiots thay are…..

And Josh Weinfuss… how can you pick the Seahawks to win…???
    You picked the Rams… who won that game…???

37. By jme on Dec 20, 2014 | Reply

Team is what it takes!!! Ryan has got this, no doubt!!!

38. By Dr. G. on Dec 21, 2014 | Reply

Why can’t Palmer sit in the owner’s box…he needs to demo support..perhaps a cameo on TV?

Revelation..!! It is possible we will have to face Seattle TWICE…regardless!!! So why not get our “ship” together right now?

Running the ball had less to do with Cooper, and more to do with healthy RBs..!!

Frostee on a goal line RB rush? I can dig it…!!

Louis… when are you ever going to realize there may be an alternate mode of thinking from being a downer??

ScottH…prior to the Cards coming in ’88, I followed the Dolphins;; it feels awesome to share in the feeling of record-breaking season…

Go forth Cards Fans…take pride in this special season and team…be well

39. By louis on Dec 21, 2014 | Reply

WAKE up cards fans stop living in a dream wold .WE still have a long way to go to talk about a SUPERBOWL.

40. By louis on Dec 21, 2014 | Reply

NICK PEPE

WATCH what u said it can come back bite u.

41. By CORMAC on Dec 21, 2014 | Reply

All I want for Christmas is FRANK GORE!!!!! Bring him to the Arizona Cardinals!!!!!!!!!!!

42. By louis on Dec 21, 2014 | Reply

TO all cards fans please stop talking trash talk about other football teams and ther e fans. WE still have to play tonight .

43. By rod on Dec 21, 2014 | Reply

Hey Darren, your blog had a phone friendly format that stopped working about a week ago. Would you be able to inquire about what it no workie anymore?

Thanks

44. By Darren Urban on Dec 21, 2014 | Reply

Rod —

RE: Blog

I will try to look into that next week.

45. By drummer-1 on Dec 21, 2014 | Reply

Is Louis really a Cardinal fan.. Maybe you haven’t read all the stuff the Seahawks fans has been saying and the media for that matter..

46. By Hawks ForLife on Dec 21, 2014 | Reply

I love the spirit Cards fans! And…you have no idea what’s about to hit you. Hawks D is better than its ever been right now…Cards will score no points at all…meanwhile, we don’t ever need our O to score..points from Hawks D today people. Go Hawks!!!

47. By louis on Dec 21, 2014 | Reply

I have to agree with the Hawks .

48. By Ben MacDonald on Dec 28, 2014 | Reply

I grew up a frustrated Iggles fan in Philly, sitting on wood bench seats at the Univ of Pennasylvania’s Franklin Field. In Florida I traveled 100 miles to watch the Bucs lose 26 in a row. When I moved to AZ in 91 I adopted the Cards. I live here and will always support the home town teams.

I sat in Tempe, on college wooden bench seats, in 110 degree heat a few times and wondered why any NFL player would want to come here. Even then I remarked that the Cards would never win until the got their own indoor stadium and all the revenues associated with it. Now they have the Stadium {I had season tickets until my health forced me to stop} and are building a winning franchise.

Defense:
    What good can I say about a defense that gives up 600yds? I do want to keep the credit on the D-line against the run, but the linebackers and the secondary are burned too often, and burned big…..

You can manage the defensive scheme that Tod B uses IF you have an offense that can put points on the board, but once Palmer went down, you have to make some major adjustments.

Offense:
    Stanton – too often overthrows his receivers high. It was always doubtful that Stanton could suddenly become a 1st string QB. Pre-NFL draft out of college it remarked -…………Generally consistent on all throws, but will force the ball under a fierce pass rush … Makes good decisions on his short and intermediate throws, but most of his interceptions come when he tries to throw the ball up down field … Intelligent athlete, but some of those long throws make some scouts question his judgment at times (it is not like he throws into coverage often, but when he does, his errors come in bunches) …

Lindley, I thought he might actually pan out when the Cards drafted him, but he still has the exact same issues he had in college………..Draft report: Accuracy is an issue; very inconsistent, and has been throughout his career. Not a great athlete; isn’t a threat to run. Needs to improve his touch; has a strong arm and likes to fire the ball whenever possible; needs to slow things down sometimes. Doesn’t always see the whole field; looks for his first read down field, and when it isn’t there hits his check-down receiver; rarely appears to look at more than two reads, and tends to stay focused on one side of the field. ………………However, if his accuracy cannot improve, he won’t be long for this league. ………..

Logan Thomas: ………Uneven performance. Inconsistent footwork and mechanics. Shoddy ball placement. Still developing touch and deep-ball accuracy. Needs to quicken his eyes and expand his field vision. Needs to learn to protect himself — is not elusive and represents a big target to defenders. Struggled in big games, including a nightmare performance against Alabama. Too careless with the football — 39 INTs and 23 fumbles as a starter. Career 50-percent passer on third down.

Still, I have only to review some of the backup QB’s who were forced into the same boat as Stanton, Lindley & Thomas – and hope the Cards can find a way to win out this year. Warner gave me the best show I have had as a Cards fan, and this year, I had the feeling that Carson Palmer could do the same😦

2. Dec 20, 2014: Arizona Cardinals news 12/20: Game previews for Cardinals/Seahawks | nflfans247.net