Home means so much — now, and then

Posted by Darren Urban on December 19, 2014 – 11:40 am

The  Cardinals are 7-0 at University of Phoenix Stadium this season. They are 13-2 at home since Bruce Arians became coach — a meaningless, close loss to the 49ers to close out the 2013 season, and the the 34-22 loss to the Seahawks in October of last year. The home-field advantage is real for the Cards, a big reason why this team still has the optimism it does going into this game despite having to dig deep into the depth chart for a quarterback.

Only three times have the Cardinals ever won more than seven games at home in a season, the most recent being 1925 and that total (11 home wins) was helped by the fact the Cards played 13 of 14 games at home. (That is a seriously unbalanced scheduling.) The Cardinals are the only team in the league to have given up 20 points or fewer in every home game this season.

Details of what player will be the QB aside, that’s ultimately what Sunday’s game is about. If the Cardinals win, they clinch home field throughout the playoffs. Literally, in fact, since that would include a Super Bowl appearance. If the Seahawks win, they are in the driver’s seat for the No. 1 seed, and it almost goes without saying the home-field advantage the Seahawks have in Seattle. There’s still a chance the Packers could be the top seed, and no one wants to play Aaron Rodgers in Lambeau in January.

So it’s fitting that, for the Cardinals, it’s a home game that determines future home games — and possibly the direction of the entire postseason in the NFC.

Homefieldbloguse

Tags: , , ,

27 Responses to “Home means so much — now, and then”

1. By NickPepe on Dec 19, 2014 | Reply

I trust in the 64,000 plus bringing the house down!!! They can make the difference. The energy is real and there is no doubt in my mind the players feed off of that energy.

This is by far the most important regular season game in my lengthy tenure as a fan. It can’t get here soon enough. Sunday is going to drag until game time.

Hell, forget game time, I can’t even wait for the “Friday Before”, which I expect to be full of goose bump causing material !!!

Rise Up Red Sea

Nick Pepe
    Lifetime Member ’70-’71

2. By Dr. G. on Dec 19, 2014 | Reply

8 point dog at home? Preposterous…. Hey Todd… the questionable play calling on “O” has demanded your exceptional “D” to carry the team.

I’m thinking the lights are coming on for BA to give you some relief. ((Hopefully)) He should open up the attack and score by getting the big guns ((Fitz & Floyd & 3 RBs & TEs)) involved. He showed a bit more last week. BA has no other choice…it is now or never…biggest event ever to showcase our CARDINAL TEAM…!!

Mox nix on which QB…. CARDS WIN IN A SHOCKER foe the media…

3. By CARDINAL on Dec 19, 2014 | Reply

DONT SELL YOUR TIX TO SEAHAG FANS ….GIVE THEM TO POOR PEOPLE IF U DONT WANT TO GO !!!!GO CARDINALS

4. By platinumhowler14 on Dec 21, 2014 | Reply

I think that SEAHAG fans would have enjoyed the game a lot more than BADINALS fans did. Trololol😄

5. By Dr. G. on Dec 19, 2014 | Reply

Rooting for Rams to go 8 and 8… Cards at least split final 2 games, and the Pack loses to Detroit. Or, Cards simply send Seattle packing. More than 1 way to skin a sea gull…! What a wild conference…Go Cards…

6. By Dynosoar on Dec 19, 2014 | Reply

One of the most satisfying tangibles is that we don’t lose at home. We have only allowed more than 20 points in two games, Denver and Atlanta. Our defense is lights out.

I have seen Seahawks fans claiming #1 defense and we can’t hold a candle to that since we’re only ranked #14.

To that I look at points allowed this season and Seattle has only allowed 242 for the season, we’ve allowed 244 points, looks pretty even to me.

I liked the article in the Headlines regarding Lindley being a different QB now than 2 seasons ago under a different coach with a different system. If Lindley couldn’t do the job, someone else would’ve been brought in. He can do this and so can our Cardinals.

The Lombardi trophy or nothing at all!

7. By Scott H on Dec 19, 2014 | Reply

Man, I wish I could be there. To echo Nick Pepe’s sentiments, those who ARE in attendance need to consider themselves a player in this game and seek to have that kind of impact. NEVER has a game at UoP meant as much as this one does. The fans in the house Sunday night will be the voice of Cardinals fans everywhere around the world and I really hope they are ready to bring it.

Just as the Cardinals may need their best performance of the season to bring this one home, the fans will need to bring their best performance as well.

It’s up to you, folks. Make us proud! You have led the NFL in false start penalties since our building opened 10 years ago. We need your BEST on Sunday night!

WE CAN DO THIS!!!!!

8. By platinumhowler14 on Dec 20, 2014 | Reply

There is no world in the entire universe that Seattle’s defense loses to a third string quarterback. Sorry, but Stanton going down cost the Cardinals the division. Go Seahawks! ^_^

9. By Dynosoar on Dec 19, 2014 | Reply

There was a fan poll the other day asking which regular season game was the most important. I answered the one that gave us the Division Crown for our Super Bowl run, because that season and that SB run changed the culture around this team.

I do not believe this game would have this impact this season, because if we hadn’t “shocked the world” with that Super Bowl appearance, I don’t think we have BA and I don’t think we’re an 11-3 team this season.

Now, if we do go to the Super Bowl and win it this year, this may be a close second or even a tie for the most important in franchise history. What do y’all think?

The Lombardi trophy or nothing at all!

10. By jakeplummersghost on Dec 19, 2014 | Reply

I wish I could be there on Sunday. Cards fan in VA. Yell extra loud for ol’ Jake on Sunday from the time the Seahawks huddle until the whistle! I’ll be yelling at my TV right along with all my ‘Zonie friends in the stadium!

11. By Dr. G. on Dec 19, 2014 | Reply

Dyno….. Re: poll…. 2014 only…

Seattle broke our momentum just before we went to Atlanta and laid an egg.

Had we been up for the Falcons, we would be fat, dumb and happy right now…didn’t seem like a big loss at the time…but it was huge… my call for the biggest game to now… be well…

12. By Coach K on Dec 19, 2014 | Reply

The Secret is how you use the home field advantage.

PLAY DEFENSE FIRST

FORCE SEATTLE TO GO THREE AND OUT.

GIVE LINDLEY AND THE OFFENSE A SHORT FIELD

SCORE THE FIRST TOUCHDOWN AND TAKE MOMENTUM

If we can win the toss, we should defer and play our strongest hand first against a slow starting Seattle offense. Do this and we set the tone for the entire game.

13. By georgiebird on Dec 19, 2014 | Reply

To do list (being mailed to Santa)

beat Seattle (at Home)
    beat ATL/NO (at Home)
    beat (GB/Seattle (at Home)
    beat Pats (at Home)
    Get ready for the 2015 draft (#32)

14. By platinumhowler14 on Dec 21, 2014 | Reply

Updated to do list:
    beat SF (away)(they’ll lose)
    beat DAL (away)(they’ll win)
    beat SEA (away)(good luck)
    Trololol😄

15. By Andy Kw on Dec 19, 2014 | Reply

Jakesplummersghost–
    I’m a Arizona Cardinals fan from MD. We must be the handful of Cards fan in this area.

16. By Dynosoar on Dec 19, 2014 | Reply

Dr. G,

Last year we were lamenting one more win, wouldn’t a win in Atlanta be nice right now. Now we’re lamenting that loss, just like the two or three (Rams, 49ers, Eagles) that escaped us last season.

If we’d have won in Atlanta, then we already have the number 1 seed secured. I liked the way you put it, We’d be fat, dumb and happy right now.

I think this season, this game has become the biggest, or at least the one with the most riding on it. If we have home field throughout the playoffs, I like our chances to hoist the Lombardi, if we have to play on the road, I’m confident, but not as confident.

Thanks for the thoughts. I can feel the validity of your argument, this team is definitely different than the one we grew up with.

Veldheer said it the other day…

“There’s definitely a sense of excitement in the air,” Veldheer said. “You can feel it in the facility. Even just being at home, it feels different. It’s everything we’ve worked for to this point, and it’s in front of us. That’s what’s so exciting. It’s there.”

Now lets go get a third championship.

The Lombardi trophy or nothing at all!
    (Did y’all notice that Patrick Peterson stated in an interview, “A Super Bowl win or nothing. Pretty cool.)

17. By Dynosoar on Dec 19, 2014 | Reply

Coach K.

I like your approach to using the strongest between offense and defense to begin the game to set the tone. I’ve never thought about it other than I want the ball first, but to set the right tone for the entire game, this may be the best approach.

18. By Lee W. Flanagan on Dec 19, 2014 | Reply

This Sunday’s game will be the hugest regular season game of all time because it’s the best way for the players to pay back the RED SEA for their support. No unsold games at this stadium is amazing considering the past subpar years. Lindley can change the pundits view of the Cardinals through a huge passing game and dominance.

19. By Scott H on Dec 19, 2014 | Reply

Dr G. / anyone –

There is a pretty remarkable statistic regarding how consistently teams that have been beaten by Seattle one week ALSO lose the following week. That just happened to the Eagles as well and it may have cost them a playoff spot.

20. By rod on Dec 19, 2014 | Reply

GO CARDINALS GO GO GOOOOOO!!

21. By Josh H on Dec 19, 2014 | Reply

We had a chance at the playoffs…how is that a meaningless loss to end the season?

22. By Darren Urban on Dec 19, 2014 | Reply

Josh H —

RE: “meaningless”

By the time the Cardinals took the field against the 49ers, they had been eliminated.

23. By Raxan on Dec 19, 2014 | Reply

I have been out ot the country for 3 games and didn’t get to see the debacle against the Falcons. My wife and I will be there Sunday adding all the volume we can muster.

I think with disciplined play we can beat the Hawks with RL. Can’t compare 2 years ago under Whiz to today’s Lindley with our coaching staff.

24. By TucsonTim on Dec 19, 2014 | Reply

I took the family to see the Cards in Seattle. It was a great trip. Great city. Great fans. Everyone was nice to us. I think they thought we were so odd being there that we were kind of interesting. People even offered to take pictures for us.

The crowd noise is something to experience in Seattle. At UOP stadium late in games the crowd gets loud when it matters most. It makes a difference. We have seen it. It’s similar
    In Seattle the noise is like that from the first snap and it NEVER LETS UP.
    I asked my wife how many Cardinal fans she thought were there at the Seattle game. She said 40. I thought maybe 50. And there were no empty seats. No mythical sell out. No discounting the club seats. Everyone shows up. And the whole city seems to be wearing Hawks jerseys.

The Philly NFC championship game at UOP was the loudest game ever. I don’t know if anyone actually measured. I just know that my ears were ringing for a day after. We NEED that again!

I pray that Sunday we can have a repeat. If we can sack Wilson in Seattle 7 times with no noise and they had more false starts in Seattle, then we can do even better with a LOUD fan base. The noise is intimidating. Lets bring it on.

25. By Dynosoar on Dec 19, 2014 | Reply

Georgiebird,

having an inside track into the mind of Santa, got your wish list and will do what I can to help out.

26. By Corgon on Dec 20, 2014 | Reply

Oohh it would be so sweet to be there and shouting Larry-Larry when he scores the game winning td! Rise up Red Sea, the team needs you more than ever! GO CARDS!!!!!!

27. By Dr. G. on Dec 20, 2014 | Reply

ScottH… Interesting on the game after Seattle thing…being a stats guy, that slipped by me….

Tucson… glad you enjoyed the SeaTac trip… Try Oakland next time, but wear a helmet and flack gear. I could never be a Seattle fan…those weird colors do not look good on me…!!