Keim: Fitzgerald cap number “baked in”

Posted by Darren Urban on December 22, 2014 – 8:21 am

We take a moment to look beyond last night’s ugliness against the Seahawks to talk Larry Fitzgerald. Or more specifically, Fitzgerald’s future.

Right before kickoff last night, profootballtalk.com reported that the Cardinals will not release Fitzgerald, even with that bloated $23.6 million salary cap number Fitz has on deck for the 2015 season. General Manager Steve Keim was asked about it during his weekly appearance on the “Doug and Wolf” show on Arizona Sports 98.7 Monday morning.

“We have to make good business decisions,” Keim said. “I don’t think it’s any secret that we said all along that it is our intent to have Larry Fitzgerald retire a Cardinal. I don’t want to get into it too deep, but with planning purposes and financially, from a cap standpoint and all those sort of things, we have Larry’s (cap) number already baked into our numbers.

“Now, any kind of business decisions moving forward, renegotiations with Larry and that sort of thing, we’ve had ongoing talks with (agent) Eugene Parker and we will continue to have ongoing talks. But again, the best I can tell you is that it is our intent to keep Larry and make sure he stays a Cardinal the rest of his career.”

It’s an interesting situation. If the Cards don’t want to release him, Fitzgerald has the leverage to say he won’t take any kind of pay cut. (It’s not a situation of restructuring anymore; That just balloons further cap numbers, Fitz gets all his money and the Cardinals will eventually pay an even harsher cap price.) Of course, Fitz’s huge cap number — without knowing what the overall cap will look like in 2015 — also could take away from upgrading other areas on the roster. This story will continue to be one to watch.

Other Keim comments this week:

— He said the Seattle loss left him “disappointed for our organizaton and disappointed more for our fanbase.”

— Keim wasn’t super specific with areas he was unhappy with after the game. “With the circumstances we were dealing with we knew it was a tough task,” Keim said, alluding to the quarterback situation. “We had to play mistake-free and that certainly wasn’t the case last night.”

— Keim said he was “a little disappointed” in the safety play and taking angles in space, the overall tackling and mistakes on defense. Offensively, he was disappointed in the lack of efficiency, which was not only poor throws from Ryan Lindley but also a failure to catch some balls.

— As bad as it got, the scenario still exists where the Cards can win the division. Keim said his feeling Monday morning is “no different” than the one he had after the ugly Atlanta loss, and the Cards bounced back from that.

— Keim is feeling personally responsible right now. “I put a lot of it on my shoulders as the General Manager,” Keim said. “I am so proud of our organization and in particular, our coaching staff. They have done a phenomenal job, and at the end of the day, I take it personal because I feel like I have given our coaches a gun with not enough bullets. Where we have let them down because they don’t have enough players, or healthy players, for that matter, to get the job done. But Bruce (Arians) has shown week in and week out he’ll defy all the odds.”

FitzcapUSE

Tags: ,

61 Responses to “Keim: Fitzgerald cap number “baked in””

1. By Jesus on Dec 22, 2014 | Reply

Has there been a worse quarterback in the history of the NFL, or is Ryan Lindley it. Stats wise I don’t think there has been a worse quarterback.
    The throws at the end of the game, he was trying to get our receivers hurt. Like we don’t have enough injuries already.

It’s understandable to lose a couple, with all the injuries. But to just throw in the towel by playing Lindley is really disappointing.

2. By John The Draft Guy on Dec 22, 2014 | Reply

I don’t know what was worse, the Defense or Lindley.

Some say Lindley was so bad it left the defense on the field too much.
    Others say the defense couldn’t keep the game close to allow Lindley make a play.

Kind of the chicken and egg thing. Bottom line, they both were really, really bad and Seattle made us look like the Same Ole Cards.

3. By sggrange on Dec 22, 2014 | Reply

Certainly appreciate Steve Keim taking the blame for not getting enough talent on the field..but realistically I sincerely doubt any GM has done a better job of filling in the HUGE talent gaps the team has suffered thru injury, FA or arrant stupidity (looking at you DWash).

This game had the feel of the last year of Whiz for exactly the same reason, a QB that was unable to perform at an NFL level (and compounded by playing a great D that is on a roll) and a D that was asked to do more than it realistically could. I define that as “stop doing your job and try to make a play where no play exists”,

There is no substitute for talent, and we have guys outperforming their contracts left and right..From Larry Foote to Frostee etc….But asking Foote to cover is not realistic (looking at you DWash) but I am guessing that if you CAN cover as a LB in the NFL you are already employed…And this is NOT a criticism of anyone, just the reality that our coaches has been wizards at putting players into positions where they can succeed..but there are limits for any coach and player.

We have a rookie safety playing LB most of the season (outstandingly), we have other team cast offs playing out of their skulls on a weekly basis…Guys off of PS that step into the lineup …

And we have several pro bowl level players watching from the sideline or at home (looking at you DWash)…

I am disappointed at last night’s game, but I am so very proud of this organization..the GM, ALL the coaches and the gutsy team that has had more players sent “off the Island ” then two full seasons of “Survivor….

Bravo M. Bidwill for putting this franchise into the true “Professional” sphere…We may not win it all, but this team ain’t going NOWHERE!!

GO CARDS!!!

4. By D on Dec 22, 2014 | Reply

I know Larry is the face of the franchise, but his Cap number for next year is crazy high even if he was at the top of his game. Now that he is basically a possession receiver, his value is probably no more than 6 mil a year. His Cap # will impact this offseason and not for the better if it’s not adjusted. He and his agent have all of the leverage. (thanks R. Graves) DD is another player Steve should seek to adjust because his CAP doesn’t jive with his age, now coming off a ACL.

Steve Keim and BA have built a nice foundation for this franchise with a 10 win season and a 11 win wildcard season, this offseason is crucial to add pieces to this team if they want to compete against Seattle. We all can see, Seattle is talented, deep and set up for another 3-4 year run in this division, Cards need to add playmakers if they don’t want games like last night when they play the Seahawks.

The bright spots last night were from D. Fells at TE and Okafor. They have a nice young TE to go along with the kid from ND to be happy for the future, and Okafor appears to be one Pass Rusher this team needs. Now they need to add another Pass Rusher at the LB spot and upgrade L. Foote. I don’t think DWash will be back with this team, so the Cards need to draft in the first round a Coverage ILB that can run with TE and RB’s. Cards also need another RB to go with Williams and Ellington to be able to control the clock and pound the ball.

When C. Campbell doesn’t play well, the whole defensive unit suffers, they need to add another young DL to help Campbell. Too early to tell if Stinson or Martin is that player or not. Plenty of work to do.

5. By Patrick Hoog aka Don't Take Losses on Dec 22, 2014 | Reply

“24 Hour Rule”, almost time to move on soon, still can get 12 wins.

Some Monday Morning “Quarter-backing”: Last part of last night’s game reminded of that 50-0 or so loss in Seattle that Bid vowed to never see again. And Keim talked in past about never having enough QBs, that was borne out last night. Got to expect the worst case scenario. Most important position in football, maybe we need 5 in pipeline, not 3. We had 2-3 really bad years under Whiz, mostly due to lack of QBs, poor QB evaluation. And if Thomas was good enough to be kept over Lindley, then perhaps he should have been good enough to get his ears wet last night? Anyways, Cards can regroup. BA said post game now we get win vs. SF and get lucky with STL win, or we go road in playoffs in SB run. Sounds good, count me in…

6. By Steve on Dec 22, 2014 | Reply

Larry Fitzgerald is a great guy but this is a business. I believe Larry is still very hungry to win a championship and sees himself still playing at a very high level, which he is. I think seeing that the Cards are headed in the right direction should help some in negotiations. HOWEVER I would not be surprised if he and his agent refuse to take much of a pay cut and the Cards are then forced to look ahead to 2015 without him. As for Keim “feeling responsible” for the game yesterday, he has done a terrific job so far as our GM, no complaints here. The way to help stop Seattles offense is to get faster LBs for our defense and I’m sure Keim will address that this offseason.

7. By irlfannphx on Dec 22, 2014 | Reply

They can restructure the contract w/ an extension and be able to get away with it, SINCE they accounted for that cap number! Let’s get real honest here. Fitz has 2, MAYBE 3 years left to play. He’s no longer a legit #1 but on a mediocre or bad team, he could be. But he’s a lot closer to the end of his career than he is the beginning of it. He ALWAYS said he wanted to WALK away HEALTHY and on HIS terms. The guy’s NOT worried about money. He’s got enough for the rest of his life AND his sons! I fully expect him to walk away in a couple years. AS a Cardinal too.

8. By Andrew P. on Dec 22, 2014 | Reply

Well, I put the pain of this lose right up there with the Super Bowl. This one sucks, but. We still have a chance to win the division, Stanton may have a good chance at being back this week, and we’re still in the playoffs. The road to the SB might have just got a little harder, but I will never stop believing in my team. Ever. Win, lose, or tie, Cardinals fan even when they make me cry. Go Cardinals!

9. By Darren Urban on Dec 22, 2014 | Reply

Andrew P —

RE: “pain”

It was a tough loss. But “right up there with the Super Bowl”?

Really?

10. By Steve on Dec 22, 2014 | Reply

John the Draft Guy, you have mentioned getting LB Justin Houston this offseason but I think he will get tagged by the Chiefs. I would love to see the Cards target OLB Jerry Hughes of the Bills this offseason. He will be a free agent and the Bills might let him test the market, he has 9.5 sacks this season and had 10 the previous year.

11. By Richard L on Dec 22, 2014 | Reply

Cardinals laid an egg

12. By Andrew P. on Dec 22, 2014 | Reply

Yeah, Darren. There was a ton riding on this game. I guess it’s just me, I put so much hope into Lindley for some, idiotic reason and he just let me and well, everyone down, again.

13. By CORMAC on Dec 22, 2014 | Reply

The last person to ride the Lindley Wagon got fired. Don’t make the same mistake.

14. By John The Draft Guy on Dec 22, 2014 | Reply

As for the game,

I love our coaches and believe Bowles is a genius but, It all turned on a few poor coaching choices.

The cards had just put up a FG and made it 14-6. It seemed to have regained the crowd and momentum.

the next offensive play, Bowles dials up our weakest cover LB to run down the field with their TE, thinking the rush would get there. Instead, Wilson spins out to the right and hits a wide open TE for an 80 yard TD.

21-6. The seahawks kick off and Ginn tries to return, getting tackled inside the 10.

Here it almost seems that Arians panics and tries the across the field pass on first down with Thomas. Of course it doesn’t work and the cards are pinned back with a 2nd and ten.

The seahawks hold us and get the ball around our 40 yard line after a poor punt.

The game was never close after that.

15. By carlo milano on Dec 22, 2014 | Reply

Keim a lot of mea culpa to have QBs like Lindley and Thomas on the roster
    Not nfl material
    I think many fans knew we had no chance with lindley but someone is a dreamer
    Idont know why caring so much about a player who know the playbook if he is not able to throw a clean pass
    Why always we have coaches with so high ego?

16. By Dynosoar on Dec 22, 2014 | Reply

Two games with Cooper are the best our ground game has seen all season. This game without Cooper returned to our former non-glory at the RB position.

Not saying he should have played, (how well can one block LBs or more importantly push the line with a broken wrist?), because with his injury he shouldn’t have. We had two variables in our two great rushing performances this season, S. Taylor in tandem with K. Williams ALONG WITH Cooper. This game we took out one variable and returned to previous levels of ineffectiveness.

This tells me the deciding factor in a good to great ground game is Cooper.

How many false starts will Larson get this season? Is he on track for a franchise record? Haha! I feel he’s played very well this season Except in this one area. However, it was only once in the entire game, so that’s pretty good. Maybe it’s just the nature of playing that position. It sounded in one report like he was injured this game.

Man, to have the Atlanta game back, last night would’ve been about Seattle making the playoffs as we would’ve already secured the number 1 seed.

Still…

The Lombardi trophy or nothing at all!

17. By Steve on Dec 22, 2014 | Reply

Darren: Someone mentioned seeing you at the game yesterday and how tall you are, can you still dunk a basketball?

18. By Darren Urban on Dec 22, 2014 | Reply

Steve —

RE: Dunk

I’m 6-3.

And the question about “still” being able to dunk assumes I was ever able to dunk. Which I was not.

19. By John The Draft Guy on Dec 22, 2014 | Reply

Steve,

Next year LBs;

It is hard to believe that we are in the playoffs and Keim (granted he was asked the question) is talking about 2015 and now you are.

I get it. I started thinking of that today too.
    I felt like the season was over. I think that is why Andrew wrote, it felt like the 2008 superbowl loss.

After all the injuries, I think we just cant win with Lindley and Thomas. That was a tough reality pill to swallow. Heck, it was going to be a real challenge to win with Stanton.

But to your question, I wanted to move for Houston at the start of the season, but after his big year, he is not leaving KC. Hughes? Maybe, But we don’t even know if Bowles will be the coach. He might get a HC job.

I also think there will be a couple big names released possibly. So, I got to be honest, I am not ready to play the 2015 game yet.

20. By Johndiddo on Dec 22, 2014 | Reply

So I hope the Cardinals don’t use games like this for an excuse to pickup a quarterback in the offseason, I retract my comments on needing to replace Carson Palmer, I think after watching Ryan Lindley struggle we just need Carson Palmer all year and for him to star for us. I don’t know if it’s too early to begin to think about draft but I hope we don’t draft a quarterback.

1st Round (27th Pick)
    Shilique Calhoun – OLB
    Michigan State – Redshirt Junior
    6-4, 257 lbs 37 tackles, 7 sacks

2nd Round
    Eric Rowe – CB
    Utah – Senior
    6-1, 201 lbs 57 tackles, 1 interception, 1 fumble recovery, 2 touchdowns

3rd Round
    Ben Beckwith – OG
    Mississippi State – Redshirt Senior
    6-3, 308 lbs

4th Round (from New England Patriots)
    Daryl Waud – DE
    Western Ontario – Senior
    6-5, 270 lbs 29 tackles, 4 sacks

5th Round
    Wil Baumann – P
    North Carolina State – Senior
    6-5, 197 lbs 56 punts, 45.3 average, 2538 yards

6th Round
    Clayton Geathers – SS
    Central Florida – Redshirt Senior
    6-2, 208 lbs 82 tackles, 1 sack, 1 forced fumble

6th Round (from New England Patriots)
    J.J. Worton – WR
    Central Florida – Redshirt Senior
    6-2, 209 lbs 36 receptions, 514 yards, 5 touchdowns

7th Round
    Joey Mbu – NT
    Houston – Senior
    6-3, 312 lbs 31 tackles, 3 sacks, 1 interception

Hopefully it’s not too optimistic for Calhoun to fall to the 27th pick, and I know people should be asking for a higher draft position, but 27 is fair because we would play and beat Atlanta in a rematch, and lose to the Packers in the divisional.

21. By truths4all on Dec 22, 2014 | Reply

I agree with Keim and we should all hold him personally and directly responsible for the lack of a serviceable back-up QB who could have stepped in and execute the core plays in BA’s offense.

His job is to get the players who may be needed down the road in the season. Anyone who has followed the Cards since they have been in Arizona knows Lindley is not a capable NFL QB by any means. Just because a QB is familiar with an offense does not hold any weight as the Max Hall fiasco proved. The fallacy that Lindley is a decent stopgap because he is familiar with BA’s offense has now been completely proven to be completely erroneous.

What GM places his mufti-million dollar product out there with a super-performing high-wire defense while agreeing to go to the worst than bargain basement QB with an abysmal on-the-field track record? Even cast-offs Skelton, Leinart, and Tebow could not have done any worst and given their past track records of spotty success (where Lindley has none), they might have done well enough to keep the Cards in the game long enough for the Defense to finally make plays that possibly could have won the game for the Cards.

BTW, Peterson has yet to post an interception on a ball thrown by one of the upper tier NFL QBs. All of his have been thrown by back-ups and lower tier NFL QBs.

22. By D on Dec 22, 2014 | Reply

Steve–No way J. Houston makes it to the Free Agency, he will be tagged. You mentioned Jerry Hughes, I am not sure he would be a great fit in AZ’s defense, other two names that most likely will be UFA, will be B. Orakpo and J. Worilds. Orakpo has had some injury concerns, but I think Worilds would be a nice addition to play opposite of Okafor. Steelers won’t blow him away with a great offer so he could be an option. If Bowles is back next year, imagine what he could do with a Worilds along with a stud ILB drafted player to add to this defense, it would be an improved Pass Rush..

23. By John beierle on Dec 22, 2014 | Reply

I don’t understand why the cardinals haven’t called the panthers to trade for Derek Anderson…

24. By Red Dead Redemption on Dec 22, 2014 | Reply

– Jesus
    There has been as bad of QBs for the Cardinals historically.
    Timm Rosenbach was sort of the original Lindley, probably. But Timm threw touchdown passes at least.

This team has had so many QBs through the years. Younger fans probably remember Plummer and after.

But in between Lomax to Plummer was nasty. Seriously average at best.
    Jeff Blake was probably the best, as he played the “Throw the ball up to Boldin” game. You know when Jeff Blake is your best QB in a long stretch, your franchise was horrible for a good chunk of time. See Bengals; after the Superbowl loss to the 49ers.
    Steve Beuerlein was probably the second best, at 4 TDs and 9 interceptions.

25. By Patrick Hoog aka Don't Take Losses on Dec 22, 2014 | Reply

“@kentsomers yes RT @kardnullfan: Think Lindley over Thomas is an ominous sign regarding Thomas’ progression this year?”

That is the clear implication, no? Logan Thomas not a “rookie” 19 games into season, fwiw of course… Did we have luxury to draft a high risk high reward QB, instead of better prospect in round 2? Reminds of drafting Skelton as “project”, early returns often wrong… but not so good so far… Easy to second guess now, but that is what Keim must do, to properly do his job…

26. By Patrick Hoog aka Don't Take Losses on Dec 22, 2014 | Reply

Btw, Clausen looked dang good for Bears yest, fwiw.

27. By Dave Chaney on Dec 22, 2014 | Reply

First of all, there is a distinct reason some players are 2nd and 3rd or even PS players during their entire NFL career, and not just speaking of QBs either. Secondly, a bit of trivia for all you long time die hard Card fans. Waaaaay back in 1964 the Cards drafted the one and only true franchise QB in their Arizona/St. Louis history. They picked none other than Broadway Joe Namath (at that time he was still Alabama Joe from Beaver Falls, PA) and he immediately bolted for some big $$$$, bright lights and the New York Jets in the fledging AFL. So here we are, 50 years later still looking for a true franchise QB who will put us in the winning mode for at least 10 years. It’s been a fun year but looks like the fun will all come crashing to an end in the next two games (one regular season and one playoff game).

28. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Dec 22, 2014 | Reply

Our receivers seemed to be just totally, “out of it” last night, especially Floyd. They didn’t do Lindley any favors with all the drops (but that doesn’t excuse Lindley’s poor outing). Perhaps they had a bad week of practice with Lindley leading up to last night’s game.

29. By William Barry on Dec 22, 2014 | Reply

This game was not a good one, but we will bounce back. If we can win in SF, who knows, maybe seattle loses??? Drew Stanton must be back for the playoffs. We need to get our running game going again.

Look, we did not win vs Seattle, but we are going to the playoffs, which is more said than many teams like Philly, and NO who are eliminated.

GO CARDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

30. By Canadian Redbird on Dec 22, 2014 | Reply

Darren:

I think we should be exstatic that this team made the playoffs. They certainly exceeded all my expectations considering all the injuries to key positions. Hopefully Stanton will be able to return for the playoffs and reignite that Super Bowl dream.

It seems that there is growing discontent with Patrick Peterson from the Bird Gang. After he signed that huge contract and starting spewing that he was the # 1 CB in the league; reality set in. Sherman can walk the talk, PP isn’t close to being at that level, in fact he’s probably not in the top ten. He strikes fear into the hearts of no opposing QB’s or receivers. My Christmas wish is that he should shut up, acquire some humility and concentrate on playing football. That Lynch TD run where Patrick mailed it in was evident of his play lately. I even have a PP jersey with a back up Fitzgerald. I know which one I’m wearing from here on in. Fitzy plays his guts out right to the end, even when he’s down 30 points and working on one good leg. Lindley was putting some of those throws in positions where the safety of our receivers was in question. Thank goodness for no injuries last night.

Can somebody tell me why we have Ginn back there returning kicks and punts. Other then one long TD return, he continuously puts our offence in poor field position, making poor judgments game in, game out. It would be interesting the stats on our returns.

This season had the makings of an incredible CINDERELLA story. I hope the clock doesn’t hit midnight. Whatever happens, its hard not to be proud of our football team. GO CARDS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

31. By rick on Dec 22, 2014 | Reply

We need Fitz to retire a Cardinal period.

32. By D on Dec 22, 2014 | Reply

Logan Thomas may start vs SF. I wonder if Logan plays decent, going into next year we know Palmer and Logan will be on the roster. Stanton is under contract but if Mr.Keim likes to draft a QB every year, wondering if Stanton could be the odd player out. Cards need to develop a young QB.

With the type of QB that BA likes, I could see AZ drafting a QB in rounds 4 or 5, maybe a S. Mannion from Oregon State, good arm/tall pocket passer, very limited mobility.

33. By Brandon on Dec 22, 2014 | Reply

Darren:

After the super bowl I was extremely proud of the game I had just watched and that was one of the best moments as a cardinals fan to make it to the playoffs first of all and then to play in one of the best super bowls in recent years. We had fight and left it all on the table. Last night we lost our fight and that put a knot in my stomach. I think we’ll bounce back but last nights loss was 10x worst than the super bowl loss in my opinion.

Thanks!
    Brandon.

34. By jme on Dec 22, 2014 | Reply

Bottom line is “Reality Check” You have to have a #1 QB for a team to be true contenders.
    example:
    Ryan-Falcons
    Tanny-Miami
    Cam-Panthers
    Manning 2-Giants
    Dalton-Bengals
    “even” Kap-Niners
    Cardinals have to have a QB, Defense can only do so much and miracles are fewer then few to depend on.
    The QB feeds the team from the top down…

35. By Eric G on Dec 22, 2014 | Reply

Glad to see Arians wants to give Thomas some work out there against the Niners. Go get ’em kid. Lets see the Logan Thomas we saw in preseason against the Raiders, accurate, decisive, leader, etc. I don’t expect much, but he has to be better than Lindley, even if just a little bit.

36. By Dr. G. on Dec 22, 2014 | Reply

Simplified – – Just as Lindley likes to play QB, and Arians likes the play-calling does not mean either is effective… But both together?… And, Peterson is a less-than-average safety who cannot tackle…a top-tier CB…NOT…!!

This team has been successful this year purely because of Keim and Bowles…without them we are just…..sad???

We are tiring of BA having no accountability….a post season review is a must…

Quit raggin’ on Thomas…he was pegged as an above average prospect after a couple years of good tutoring. Some may think he may not progress, but his UPSIDE is over the top. With proper prep, he can be very, very, good….

37. By Chuck 1 on Dec 22, 2014 | Reply

There were many fans unwilling or unable to face reality before the ‘Hawks game, predicting victory.
    Hopefully, now they realize that the Cards have several holes to fill in their roster
    if they plan to win the NFC West e.g.
    * Interior O-linemen
    * Two ILBs
    * A pass rusher (or two)
    * A running back that can move the pile e.g. Lynch
    * A younger nose tackle
    * A “shut-down” CB (or two)
    * A “Franchise” QB to replace Palmer when he retires
    * An above-average B/U QB
    * A return man
    I’m sure that I’ve missed a position or two.
    You get the idea. Keim has holes to fill if his “Three Year Plan” is to succeed in dislodging the ‘Hawks’ from 1st place in the NFC West.

38. By Chuck 1 on Dec 22, 2014 | Reply

Re: Fitz retiring as a Card.
    He needs to realize what his true worth is relative to other top WRs and IT’S NOT $23,000,000. I don’t care if he is “The Face of the Arizona Cardinals” or if his Cap Hit “is baked into the 2015 numbers”.

39. By Dynosoar on Dec 22, 2014 | Reply

Chuck 1,

not a bad list. As to the ‘Hawks’ being number 1 in the NFC West, we’ve been number 1 for 14 weeks and they’ve been number 1 one week (although, their number one when it really counts). Next weeks NFC West games will be HUGE.

I for one have stopped predicting games, however, I did feel this one was winnable even with Lindley.

I still believe we can win the Super Bowl and we even still have a shot at the number one seed and homefield throughout. We shall see.

I liked that Lindley could extend plays and use the pocket (he stepped up well), with more practice I still feel he could improve his accuracy and begin getting touchdown passes. Again, we shall see.

Go Rams!
    Go Lions!

Go CARDINALS!

The Lombardi trophy or nothing at all!
    (And we’ve tasted nothing, I want us to have the Lombardi.)

40. By Kevin S Mesa on Dec 22, 2014 | Reply

JDTG —

I agree with your comments about some of the choices, but the sequence you are describing (Cards FG followed by 80-yard pass followed by Ginn trying to return a kick followed by a 3-and-out, a poor Butler punt and the Seahawks taking over on our 40) all happened in the first half after our first FG, not after we made the FG to cut it to 14-6.

41. By JohnnyBluenose on Dec 22, 2014 | Reply

@ Jesus….You are absolutely correct about our receivers being put at risk at the end of last night’s game. But that was not Lindley’s fault. It was Arians who was calling the plays and why he targeted Fitzgerald three consecutive times when there was no chance of winning the game and every chance that he could re-injure his knee just defies belief. What was he trying to prove? For all intents and purposes, the game was over. Just run the ball three times, take time off the clock, kick the ball away, protect your players and live to fight another day. The next game in San Francisco does not mean much. It’s time to rest our starters as much as possible and focus on week one of the play-offs. Keep going.

42. By jme on Dec 22, 2014 | Reply

Cardinals will win the NFC Championship in Seatle!!! Payback Beyond all Paybacks. Team is what it takes!!! This story aint over yet its just starting!!

43. By georgiebird on Dec 22, 2014 | Reply

I think BA & SK have done a very good job to date. However, we are in loftier places right now. No longer are we trying to get better from 5-11 or 6-10 but rather trying to get better from 10-6 and now 11-5 or 12-4.
    Especially as SK is concerned there is a lot of luck involved. SK has done a nice job of bring in guys like Rucker, Kelly, Larson and Carlson.
    But now it’s time to get better results. Can SK spot a Wilson on the 3rd round- that takes a lot of luck. In last night’s game -if the QBs are swapped, I’m still not sure the Cards win the game, but it now becomes a ball game.
    The Cardinals’ talent level has to be raised. There have been too many misses in the last two drafts. Couple the draft with the PP signing, and SK is now at a crossroads. Can he get to the next level and begin knocking heads with the Seahawks, Patriots, Packers and Broncos?
    Based on last night’s game, there is no way I retain Larry’s services going into 2015. IF there is money to be saved then Larry should be dealt to help get the QB we need.

44. By Scott H on Dec 22, 2014 | Reply

JTDG / general comment –

Unfortuantely, Ginn either calling for fair catches inside / at the 10 OR letting punts hit at / inside the 10 OR not being able to return the ball past the 10 has been happening way too frequently this season. It wasn’t just the other night.

Given what reasonable expectations should have been for Ginn, he has been one of the biggest FA disappointments in recent memory, maybe ever. I CANNOT wait to be rid of this guy.

45. By Kevin S Mesa on Dec 22, 2014 | Reply

Georgiebird —

Sometimes I agree with you when you say that the talent level isn’t as high as (some) think it is on this team. Having said that, I don’t understand your comment about dealing Larry to save the cash to get the QB help we need.

So you are assuming either that (a) Palmer won’t recover well from his injury, or (b) there is a QB out there BETTER than Palmer who some other team is going to be happy to deal to us? Palmer had a passer rating of 95.6 so far this year before going down (and the year before, he was lower, but in the 2nd half it was 95.3 once the team had adjusted to the offense). Who the heck is giving us a QB like that in a trade? No one. The only way we’d get a QB in a trade is if we went the Kolb route of trying to guess whether someone else’s backup was better than our current starter. And we saw how that worked out with Kolb.

None of this is to say we shouldn’t deal or restructure Fitz if we think he isn’t worth the money. But assuming this team needs a franchise QB long-term, the only place we’re getting that is through the draft. Teams aren’t parting with franchise guys in trades. And a drafted QB will be cheap (relatively speaking) for the first few years — certainly cheaper than Palmer — so if we can afford Palmer, we can afford his replacement whether we have Larry or not.

46. By Scott H on Dec 22, 2014 | Reply

Regarding Fitz, I hear the comments about his cap number being baked in and the reiteration of the goal to have him retire as a Cardinal. And I would love to see that. But….I still wonder about how realistic that really is. This is all coming from the front office side of this. Fitz has also said he wants to be here. But there is just SOMETHING about this situation that makes me wonder if both sides are truly on the same page.

As for Fitz being relegated to a possession receiver ( as someone said ), I am NOT ready to buy that yet. With his knee injury over the last month and being at ( maybe ) about 70% capability ( per BA’s assessment, OK, he is not able to be the Fitz we have seen over the years. But when he WAS fully healthy, I maintain that he was grossly under-utilized in this offense this season and I will just never accept the idea that the team OR the offense was better with Fitz having a reduced role. So….

….IF he is going to remain here as one of the highest paid WR’s in the game, then I say let’s get our money’s worth out of him! I think he would say the same.

47. By Robert on Dec 22, 2014 | Reply

everybody get a grip…first off that game put me in a funk the entire day and i am trying to get back on my two feet…what flippin teams can win in this league with a 3rd stringer and expected to have any luck against and NFL d especially the sea hawks..by the wya that coach of theirs, i would do anything to be able to have some team shut him up so he can close his big fat trap..payback is a bitch..

i said earlier tin the week that we have to limit Wilsons big plays becasue when he delivers, he will trun the game around.

a lso said, months ago, that PP is an absolute dud, and i am certain that the cardinal; brass would like a muligan.

ANd BA, where was the running game? where was williams? and why is Cooper hurt yet again? 2 years and he played two games

I am still trying to get over that loss..600 yards..man we looked like a 4 win team instead of a 4 loss team and on NATIONAL TV!!

48. By dennis on Dec 22, 2014 | Reply

Fitz still the best WR we have on this roster and the most reliable at crunch time.

49. By joannamcgrath on Dec 23, 2014 | Reply

Fitz isn’t worth $23 million dollars. That is our future. If Fitz truly believes in the game he preaches, he won’t be willing to mortgage our team’s future. If he is, then sadly it is time to say goodbye.

Team is what it takes.

50. By louis on Dec 23, 2014 | Reply

Like i said you can’t trust the cards . ITwill be the same every year .

51. By clssylssy on Dec 23, 2014 | Reply

o, Keim is disappointed…well,so am I! I am disappointed, and more than a little embarrassed by Keim’s using the national spotlight to advertise that Fitz was is on block for sale(trade). It’s really easy for this organization to make this all about Fitz and his cap number without acknowledging that number is so high because of the team’s continuous shell game and contract restructuring that has allowed for the movement of money to pay other players and finance the success of this season. Larry has remained loyal and hasn’t jumped ship, even when it would have been in his best interest. He has believed in this organization and has given us a measure of respect and credibility, as well as, belief that we could rebuild and be a contender again. He is the face of the franchise who is trotted out when the the organization is trying to sell their decisions to skeptical fans like, “we can win with Ryan Lindley”.
    Fitz’s “diminished role” has been by design with the hope that Michael Floyd would become Fitz. It has nothing to do with his skillset or his aging (four months older than Vernon Davis LOL) but rather an attempt to get out of the financial quagmire they have created. This has been unfair to everyone, including Fitz and Floyd, but mostly the success of the team and a disservice to the fans. We have seen week-after-week that Floyd and even John Brown can’t be counted on to catch the ball but Fitz, even at 60 or 70% is our most dependable and consistent playmaker.We have seen what this team is like without him and it’s not been pretty. While the basic fundamentals of tackling, catching, ball control, and execution of assignment have gone uncorrected, the Arians/Keim alliance now wants to low ball Larry even more while proclaiming that the plan is for him to retire a Cardinal and that his cap number has been baked in? Why is this even an issue if all that is true? Sorry, but it sounds like Keim is doing a lot of talking out of both sides of his mouth and now that the blame game has begun to heat up, desperate times call for desperate measures…time to move the pea again and shift the focus away from the dismal and tragic death of our season. There actually are those fans who will take the bait (but wonder how so much can change but really remain the same!)
    To all the fans who believe that Fitz is no longer “worth” his contract because he has “depreciated”, lol, try using that argument with the bank to justify forfeiting on your mortgage or car payment. Yes, this is a business, but, the really good and successful businessmen know that integrity is their most important asset that should never be cheapened or sold out,a man’s word is his bond, and the treatment of employees mirrors that of the family which speaks volumes as to the measure of the owner.
    Terry Bradshaw’s advice to Jim Harbaugh (who he respects as a brilliant coach) is probably good advice for Fitz: “Take the money and move on, because they (San Francisco) don’t love you anymore!” The Cards may not love him anymore, but, my bet is that there are fans who do.and,will follow him wherever he lands (hope it’s not the Broncos).

52. By Lee W. Flanagan on Dec 23, 2014 | Reply

Back to Andrew P’s comment on this loss being even bigger than losing the superbowl. He kinda has a point. As far as he and I am concerned, the Cardinals pretty much dominated that superbowl game minus the actual loss. One ACT OF GOD PLAY kept the Steelers in the game. That loss was actually a “win” for the Cardinals. This team has the reco

53. By Lee W. Flanagan on Dec 23, 2014 | Reply

Oops!….thought continued…..This team has the record backing them and they didn’t hold up to the hype…injuries or not. Nobody else cares about the injuries so this team had actually something to prove. They proved just the opposite. They can’t continue to win with the injuries and can’t win without a good offensive consistency.

54. By louis on Dec 23, 2014 | Reply

cards are a big joke. MR.Mike Bidwill is just like his dad they are to cheap to hold on to good players like Fitz .Like i said we need a real g.m. to come here but that will never happen in my live time.

55. By Darren Urban on Dec 23, 2014 | Reply

Louis —

You just don’t stop, do you?

Thanks for coming.

56. By Dr. G. on Dec 23, 2014 | Reply

For the posters who do the thumbs down thing when the aptitude in BA’s play calling is mentioned, I would like to read your reasoning that may convince those of us how wonderful he is at the OC-play-calling this year…and why there is some thinking that Bowles should not be given credit for EVERY WIN… Please, do tell…. I always appreciate logical factual input to change my thinking.

To clarify, BA has performed well in most phases with this exception…

Also, at this juncture, please explain why Logan Thomas should not be given a shot at practice for the 9ers game. That can be a big win if Seattle loses also, but Lindley can not get it done… Why not? Please explain…

Keim has been the ROCK of DESIGN to produce INSTANT SUCCESS for 2013 and 2014. Remember… no rebuilding years?” It has been a wonderful ride, even though the untimely injuries have decimated this franchise. How often have we been given hope in the playoffs? Not often…. Miracles can occur…

But, thanks, Steve Keim for your business acumen.. Now you just need to hold your play-caller accountable for next year;….the fitness for Offensive play-calling has been over-shadowed by other distractions. You do not offend those who require help; your HC needs a bit of his own “yell and hug ’em later” medicine.

CARDS’ LOYALTY MATTERS….be well…. ((Thanks again Darren for your presence and expertise))

57. By Don on Dec 23, 2014 | Reply

Dr G: I couldn’t agree more.

It almost goes without saying that the offensive play calling has been outright atrocious all season, and I firmly believe this is a big reason why we have been able to produce so few points on offense despite having tons of talent on that side of the ball. Even with a healthy Palmer (who played great when he was in), we just couldn’t manufacture much.

Its time for Arians to hand over the reigns.

58. By tyman on Dec 24, 2014 | Reply

I would think it’s the time in Fitz career to take a pay cut. The next five years might still be productive, but team is what it takes and the team has paid him quite abit over the years.

59. By clssylssy on Dec 24, 2014 | Reply

Dr. G., Don, and others…
    I don’t always agree with Coach BA but to describe his play calling as “atrocious” is a bit much. No, we haven’t produced blowouts or wins by huge numbers but, there is only so much a play caller can do to promote an offensive victory. At some point it comes down to execution of the plays and while we do have an abundance of talent on the offense, we lack the veteran presence at each position that has helped anchor our defense and made them strong. Our receivers should be making the catches to allow us to score but aside from Fitz at 60-70%, they have not proven to have the focus and discipline to be dependable, hence we have missed opportunities to score TDs. I would think that some of these technique mechanics would have been worked out in practice with the position coaches, and perhaps Sherman was right when he said that players needed to be held accountable. The team hired a speed coach this season but still some of our players don’t display the agility or lightness on their feet to propel them down the field! The plays that worked with the Steelers for BA might be too ambitious for our players but, I tend to think that it’s not really about skillset as much as mindset and discipline. We have talent among our running backs but again we don’t have a veteran presence and our talent has been stuck in a rut until we were forced by Ellington’s injury to make some changes; this I do blame on BA’s stubbornness and being high on one player to the exclusion of seeing other talent right in front of us, as well as building our offense around one running back not built to be an every down back.
    It’s easy to get impulsive and start playing the blame game when the going gets rough. Cards fans are probably some of the most fickle fans in the league and looking for the quick fix magic bullet is a big reason we’ve never been able to really establish any kind of consistency, it’s just more seductive to take the easy way out and jump to another “solution” rather than doing the work to fix the relatively minor flaws.I do like the idea of accountability from the Owner on down to the groundskeepers…the fans deserve it!

60. By Scott H on Dec 25, 2014 | Reply

I find the language being used in regard to Fitz’ situation interesting. The team says it will not release him. OK. That does not mean he couldn’t be traded. It’s hard to imagine a team trading for him at his current cap number, but….ya never know.

If the Cardinals were below .500 and looking like a team that was not going to turn it around any time soon, I would probably embrace seeing Fitz moving on. But with the picture looking pretty bright for the immediate future looking pretty bright and the Cardinals looking like a legit contender ( with Carson Palmer, that is ), I DO NOT want to see him go anywhere. The thought of seeing the Cards win a SB with him here is just the ultimate scenario for me. And since I consider that a possibility, I want to see the dream come true.

And, yes, as things stand right now, I believe they are a better team WITH him than they could possibly be without him.

61. By superbowlcards on Dec 28, 2014 | Reply

Kevin S Mesa,
    Yo_r reply to Georgiebiird is spot on, Could not have said it better, Palmer would have been in the discussion for league MVP had he not fought injuries all season!!! Palmer is our QB for the next 2-3 years, as he should be, with him we are SB contenders, even with the massive amount of injuries!
    To all who are doging BA and his play calling, he doesnt have much of a choice with NO running game at all. Ellington is NOT the answer, he cannot carry 20-25 times a game and be effective or stay healthy, he was a great pick and can still be our playmaker, but we need a workhorse running back to run 15-20 times a game, Todd Gurley or the big back out of Marshal (sorry, his name has slipped my mind!) but he runs a 4.5 and is built like a brick shithouse, we need to use a 2nd round pick for Gurley, and probably a 3-4th rounder for the kid out of Marshal, 1st round needs to be a p&ss rusher, like the kid from Utah, or ILB fro U of Miami, he is a stud!!
    Finally, if BA’s play calling gets us 10-6 or 12-4 then I will take that regular season records and improvement in a heartbeat, what do you all expect, BA’s play calling should lead to undefeated seasons every year, what the heck!! We would have dominated right through the Superbowl if we wouldnt have lost half our team to injuries, and suspensions!!! I say BA has done one hell of a job calling plays and overcoming massive loses from injury!!! There is NOT a team in the NFL that would even be above .500 if they had to deal with the amount of injuries we had!! Food for thought…BA’s plays can and have been changed at the line of scrimagge by the QB!!