After surgery, Ellington on track for offseason work

Posted by Darren Urban on December 24, 2014 – 12:33 pm

Andre Ellington feels good.

The running back, on injured reserve, had surgery in early December for what the team officially describes as a “core muscle injury,” bringing to a close a difficult sophomore season. After flashing so much potential as a rookie and earning the spot as the Cardinals’ main back for this season, Ellington hurt his foot late in the preseason — a problem that didn’t go away and was the first of multiple injury issues.

“I was frustrated because I knew what I could do when I am 100 percent, but it is the nature of the beast,” Ellington said. “You’ve just got to deal with injuries playing this game.”

Ellington had the foot injury. He had a hip injury and then suffered the core injury against Atlanta Nov. 30 from which he could not recover.

“I’ve been dealing with (injuries) all year,” Ellington said. “People didn’t think I was banged up (that much) because I really didn’t show it, I found ways not to show it, but my latest injury was something I couldn’t overcome. I tried to, but it just didn’t happen.”

After averaging more than five yards a carry as a rookie, Ellington gained just 3.3 yards a carry this season, with 660 yards on 201 attempts and another 46 receptions for 395 yards. Twice he reached 90 yards (91 in New York and 95 in Dallas) but never had a 100-yard game rushing. He did have 112 yards receiving in Denver, thanks to his 81-yard touchdown catch on a pass from Logan Thomas.

These days, Ellington has been spending some time on the stationary bike. On IR, there is no pressure to go fast, since Ellington cannot return this season. The surgery, Ellington said, “is what I needed.” He said he will be fine by the time the Cardinals begin offseason work in the spring.

“I’m taking this time right now to get back to where I need to be,” Ellington said. “Unfortunately I can’t play but it’s a good time to take things slow and by the time we get going again I’ll be full speed.”

EllingtonBlogUSE

Tags:

17 Responses to “After surgery, Ellington on track for offseason work”

1. By LadyBird04 on Dec 24, 2014 | Reply

Has Sam Acho’s wife had their baby yet? It was due last week and I know they were all anxiously waiting for his arrival.

2. By Scott H on Dec 24, 2014 | Reply

Looking forward to Andre’s return next season BUT with a big / power back complement that this team did NOT have this year. Please tell me they aren’t gonna try to roll with Ellington as a feature back next year and I’ll be happy.

3. By D on Dec 24, 2014 | Reply

Free agency thoughts-

Of course this is based on freeing up cap space by adjusting Larry and Darnell’s cap figures

OLB. J Worilds
    He would replace and be an upgrade from S Acho and J Abraham
    DT. K. Ellis upgrade over D. Williams
    TE. M.Spaeth over R. Houser
    RB. R. Helu as the in between the tackles runner this team needs

(May need to upgrade Ginn too depending on cap space)

Resign T. Kelly and M. Leach.
    Let Cro leave. J. Bethel can compete with a draft pick as the other CB. Keep Powers in the slot.
    Be creative on Worilds deal, the other 3 players would not be expensive

Use draft for a ILB, OLB, CB, WR OL.

4. By Don on Dec 24, 2014 | Reply

You sure about letting Cro go? Overall he’s had a much better season than Peterson. Dude doesn’t want to tackle which is annoying, but he’s been on point in his coverage, that ridiculous fall against SEA not withstanding

5. By rick on Dec 24, 2014 | Reply

What are the chances of Palmer coming back for training camp ?

6. By Darren Urban on Dec 24, 2014 | Reply

Rick —

RE: Palmer

They expect him back for camp at this point.

7. By Richard S on Dec 24, 2014 | Reply

Cards need a thumper to complement Ellington, someone like the Bus.

8. By dieselbomb on Dec 24, 2014 | Reply

By Don on Dec 24, 2014 | Reply

= = = = =

Couldn’t agree with you more!! Peterson is a good Corner. He has given up too much, though. He tried to Strip Lynch while a simple, strong push would’ve stopped the play with Lynch out of bounds … But, no, he made sure Lynch waltzed in to score.

He plays Receivers tight just once every Blue Moon. When he does, though, he’s been successful. He allows way too much cushion, way too often. Sherman is right about the TD’s scored on Peterson’s coverage. It just MIGHT be true that he’d be benched if he were playing for Seattle. That part doesn’t matter; but starting every game with a whole season showing a string of poorly played match-ups DOES matter when you’ve just clocked a contract too good for the work you show.

9. By Eazy E on Dec 25, 2014 | Reply

Good News

10. By shannon robinson on Dec 25, 2014 | Reply

Ellington is special and reminds me of our great running back, Stump Mitchell. Both are electric runners. Logan Thomas’ goal this year was to be named Offensive Rookie of the Year. When I heard him say it I thought, “Good for him, way to go, and it’s too bad he won’t get a chance with Carson and Stanton playing ahead of him.” Every great player at some point grows beyond even our expectations. A tip of the Cardinal Wing to Logan Thomas! Feliz Navidad!

11. By clssylssy on Dec 25, 2014 | Reply

With the striking resemblance Logan Thomas bears to Colin Kaepernick (see main article page and Fitz Visa commercial), and the fact that both teams will be wearing some combination of red on Sunday, wonder if that played into BA’s decision to start Thomas. Who knows, given the pressure and the atmosphere it could be confusing,and while the offenses won’t be on the field at the same time, it could still mess with their heads! HO HO HO and Merry Christmas to all! GO CARDS! LET’S SHOCK EVERYONE AND FINISH STRONG!

12. By JR on Dec 25, 2014 | Reply

I’m glad for Ellington, but what happened to Kerwin Williams in the Seattle game? He just played one running play. Did he get hurt?

13. By Cardsfan52MLB on Dec 25, 2014 | Reply

I would assume that everyone is having a very merry Christmas today but I just noticed some very interesting information while browsing the web. There are recent reports that are claiming that BA has decided to start Ryan Lindley on Sunday against the 49ers. If this is true (as it appears to be as of now) how bad did Thomas look in practice trying to digest the offence? I for one was at the Seahawks game last Sunday and believe that Lindley was a game manager at best. And seeing the balls float on him was very frustrating. Can someone please confirm if Logan was demoted and if Lindley will get the start against the 9ers?

Thank you.

14. By Chuck 1 on Dec 25, 2014 | Reply

The Cards will not have a good running game in 2015 with Ellington as the featured RB.
    He is too fragile to take the beating.
    The team needs a bruiser like Bettis or Lynch.

15. By Scott H on Dec 25, 2014 | Reply

And according to NFL.com, looks like we’re going back to Lindley for Sunday.

Has he set an NFL record yet for most number of passes attempted without a TD pass???

16. By clssylssy on Dec 26, 2014 | Reply

You guys may be overreacting and are back out on the ledge (I think we’ve all been out there after that Seahawks game). Does it have to be either/or? I have a feeling that BA will use both Lindley and Thomas but perhaps the order has changed. The main thing now is for everyone to be accountable and work hard this week to improve the execution of their assignment. We can’t afford mental errors or get sucked into giving away yards in penalties…they will try to push our limits and ignite short fuses! Personally, I love the idea of accountability and don’t have a lot of patience for excuses. Everybody has an off day or so every once in awhile but to wallow in self pity is totally unacceptable! We are better than that, and we can finish strong with dignity against the 9ers as long as we fight the good fight. We still have the playoffs and they do not. Let’s show everybody who the better team is by finishing strong as a Band of Brothers and never leaving any man behiind…even a temporary backup.
    Go Cards! It’s a new week:)

2. Dec 25, 2014: Arizona Cardinals news 12/25: Christmas Day links | nflfans247.net