Stanton infection creates doubt on availability

Posted by Darren Urban on December 26, 2014 – 9:56 am

Maybe there was a reason Ryan Lindley could be re-elevated to starting quarterback for the Cardinals. Multiple reports Friday morning — first from NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport — said that Drew Stanton suffered an infection on his injured knee, forcing arthroscopic surgery. The team believes the infection came from some sort of outside treatment. Certainly Stanton’s availability for the playoffs is in doubt, especially if the Cardinals stay as a wild card and have to play in about a week.  If that’s true, Bruce Arians and company have to reassess what they think will be best for the team overall. Stanton’s issue was discovered Wednesday. Stanton hadn’t needed surgery on the knee injury in the first place — so to need it now is a gut punch to a team that was counting on his return.

Monday, Arians was saying Stanton would practice this week and that he thought there was an 85 percent chance of Stanton being ready for the first playoff game. By Wednesday, Arians was saying the Cardinals had their “fingers crossed” Stanton could come back and that there were “no sureties” in his recovery. Walking back Stanton expectations makes a lot more sense now.

Arians will address the media after practice around lunchtime. We’ll see what it all means, although it’s clearly not the news the Cardinals wanted to receive at this point in the season.

Stantoninfectionuse

Tags: ,

44 Responses to “Stanton infection creates doubt on availability”

1. By Cardsfan52MLB on Dec 26, 2014 | Reply

Darren:Darren:

Since Stanton’s return is now unlikely do you feel like we should rally behind Thomas since we have seen how Lindley plays? I really feel this is a huge decision as we have seen over Lindley’s tenure he is not progressing as a quarterback. If the decision was your’ s who would you go with?

Thank you.

2. By Darren Urban on Dec 26, 2014 | Reply

Cardsfan —

RE: QB

As much as Lindley has struggled, I do not think Thomas is ready for such a move. So I’d go with Lindley.

3. By John The Draft Guy on Dec 26, 2014 | Reply

Thud !

That was my jaw hitting the ground and heart falling in my stomach.

I know some of these fans on the board will say Lindley/Thomas can do it and next man up.

Wrong. The fact that Arians has gone from Lindley to Thomas to Lindley says it all. Neither can do the job.

What a great season it has been and it really did look like we had a super bowl team. But with Stanton being done, it is over.

I mean folks, really. Lindley is going to go on the road and win 3 playoff games to put us in the super bowl???? Nope. Not going to happen . This is just too much to overcome.

It is time to start looking at the the off season. Sure, we will put ourselves through the frustration of the niners game and the playoff game. Maybe we will even win a game, but it is over.

4. By Patrick Hoog aka Don't Take Losses on Dec 26, 2014 | Reply

David J. Chao, MD ‏@ProFootballDoc 15m15 minutes ago
    Scope for DREW STANTON @AZCardinals means infection in joint. Surgery to protect cartilage. Up to 6 wks of IV antibiotics needed.

5. By rufus on Dec 26, 2014 | Reply

What exactly does “outside treatment” mean? Did the team medical staff know about this treatment beforehand and properly assess the risks? Injuries are one thing but proper training and medical treatment is another. The team’s medical and training staff look completely incompetent. Maybe letting go of John Lott was a mistake.

6. By Louisville Card on Dec 26, 2014 | Reply

Hi Darren,

Rough news about Stanton, not the best way to end what was a great season. My question Darren is how bad did Thomas really look in practice? Lindley is by stats the worst qb to ever play football. So if you can’t beat him out he has to go down as one of the worst 4th round picks in franchise history in my opinion. I was critical of the pick when it was made, but I was hopeful I was wrong. I know some guys need a little time but if you can’t beat out a guy like Lindley you’re never going to be even back up worthy. Keim’s draft record so far is terrible In two drafts all the cards have to show for it are backups. I don’t want to always post about Bridgewater, but it sure would’ve been nice to have him now…

7. By John The Draft Guy on Dec 26, 2014 | Reply

As for the Thomas/Lindley, I am lost why folks praise Arians then question these decisions.

It is obvious that Thomas is so bad in practice, that Arians wants to start him but just can’t. He is just that bad.

I said he was a wasted pick after he was drafted and look folks, he can’t even play over Lindley in week 17.

The cards must draft a real QB next year.

8. By rick on Dec 26, 2014 | Reply

Wow I am lost for words for this team. Injuries suck but weird how he needed surgery this late when he injured his knee two weeks ago. Now it`s time for Ryan to redeem himself and help us win a couple games. I still have faith. GO CARDS!!!

9. By red c monster on Dec 26, 2014 | Reply

Does anyone know a good witch doctor? It would seem this team has been hexed.

10. By dennis on Dec 26, 2014 | Reply

Playoffs….one and done.

11. By Cardsfan52MLB on Dec 26, 2014 | Reply

Darren:

Thank you for the response, I do appreciate it. Do you know when BA will address the media today how quickly it would be posted to the site?

Thank you.

12. By Darren Urban on Dec 26, 2014 | Reply

Cardsfan —

RE: Arians

He talks about 12:30 Az time. I’ll post something ASAP, but you can follow me on Twitter @cardschatter for immediate info.

13. By LadyBird04 on Dec 26, 2014 | Reply

Outside treatment? Does that mean he went to a doctor or some sort of white witch doctor, an acupuncturist or did he go off and do something without the blessing of the team doctors/trainers? If he went off on his own, shame on him.
    How did he get an infection caused by treatment of a non-puncture type injury?

Smells fishy and I’m sure Arians, Keim and Mr. Bidwill will look into it but as a fan, I too would love clarification as to the who, what, where’s of this situation. With all that has gone on this year, it would be really sad if Lindley went off on his own and caused this additional snafu.

Happy New Year – hope Carson Palmer is healing well but because of the dearth of information on his front, I worry about his recovery as well.

14. By RICH on Dec 26, 2014 | Reply

Starting to think that the team doc is a Seahawk fan.

15. By hector on Dec 26, 2014 | Reply

All these people talking bad about Lindley and saying he won’t be good, hes only started one game under Arians and it was against the SEAHAWKS. I don’t think he can be any worse than he was on Sunday and he wasn’t even that bad, he still made completions and led a couple good drives, maybe hell do good against the niners

16. By Patrick Hoog aka Don't Take Losses on Dec 26, 2014 | Reply

darkest before dawn… back to the jumbo package and 2 OL as TEs…

17. By Robert on Dec 26, 2014 | Reply

We can’t beat anypne with a 3rd string QB who doesn’t get any reps with the first team in practice. Darrnen, can you tell me why teh RB williams was hardly used in teh Seattle game?

18. By Darren Urban on Dec 26, 2014 | Reply

Robert —

RE: Kerwynn

In here: http://www.azcardinals.com/news-and-events/article-2/Lynch-Gives-Thanks-After-Win/ef4be78d-b00e-4778-9e0b-b2b9736f22f9

19. By Lawrence Nichols on Dec 26, 2014 | Reply

Lindley sucked against every team he has played against No improvement. He will suck Sunday against the whiners and double suck in the one and done play offs. If they the cardinals bring back Lindley next year I will not buy season tickets and will be moving on.

20. By Joseph on Dec 26, 2014 | Reply

@LadyBird04,

[quote]With all that has gone on this year, it would be really sad if Lindley went off on his own and caused this additional snafu.[/quote]

I really don’t think Lindley had Anything to do with Stanton’s Infection! I know most posters here do Not Like (they would use the H word) Lindley, but to blame him for another man’s problem? That’s a Real Low Blow!

@All the Lindley *aters, Get off the Kid’s back and BA’s for that matter.

Rams’ Dirty D is what did Stanton in, in the 1st place. Even the Fox announcers were going on about how dirty the D has been playing in their game against NYG. And look who is the Rams DC, Mr. “Bounty Gate” Greg Williams. The sack on Stanton # 97 Sims was the last to pile on and he pancaked on Drew’s legs. There was no need for him to even do that as Donald and then Ogletree already had Drew down.

This has been a Remarkable Season for the Cards, but when you cut the head off twice (once is usually enough), then the body dies. Lindley nor Thomas are at fault and their level of play is as expected to be. As 3rd and 4th stringers, they are gap fillers, not saviors.

And Please stop the calling for an outside QB to step in and be a Miracle Worker. That is fantasy football trash.

21. By D on Dec 26, 2014 | Reply

I know Stanton was BA guy but this could hurt his future with this team. If Palmers recovery is going well I could see as high as a second round draft pick on a qb this spring.

22. By Scott H on Dec 26, 2014 | Reply

My God, are you kidding me with this???? No sooner than we think it can’t get worse, it does. Un-believable, to say the least.

Well, I’d say it’s about time to be grateful for the season that has been and to start looking forward to next year. Because with either Ryal Lindley or Logan Thomas at QB…..hate to say it, but this is NOT a playoff team.

With Stanton, the Cardinals could have definitely won a first round game. Might have been able to stay competitive beyond that if the defense was really hitting on all cylinders. But with Stanton gone? Forget it. The defense can’t play well enough to win a game in the playoffs when the offense is probably capable of no better than 2 or 3 FG’s.

Looking ahead, I really don’t see the point of keeping Logan Thomas around after this year. I mean, what is the point??? I’m not saying that because he isn’t good enough to win a playoff game for us. I’m saying that because he apparently can’t even play well enough in practice to merit a Week 17 tryout in a game that really doesn’t mean anything. I get the perspective that BA is now going back to Lindley because he might need to get all the work he can because Stanton may now not be back at all. That DOES make sense. But it still does not feel like there is any real confidence in Thomas. And this is evidenced by the fact that a QB as bad as Lindley has been is seen as the no-doubt-about-it choice right now.

It is also evidenced by the fact that Lindley is back here again at all after he was released earlier in the season. Really, he goes from the Chargers practice squad to being ahead of Thomas on our depth chart as soon as he steps off the train? Actions DO speak louder than words.

It just sounds like there is little or nothing to hope for with Thomas. And he is now our back-up QB going into the playoffs????

This is a situation that could make you wish for Derek Anderson. And right now? I do. I really, really do.

23. By krehbieo14 on Dec 26, 2014 | Reply

JTDG,

We have at least two more games to play. By the way, many people predicted that Logan Thomas would not make it in the NFL. Where is the definitive evidence that Stanton is done for the year? I suggest that we get behind Ryan Lindley for this final game and see how things play out. Go Cards!

24. By Richard S on Dec 26, 2014 | Reply

Other QBs available – Jamarcus Russel or see if the Cards can work out a trade for Jim Harbaugh and then start him at QB. What a crummy end to a great season.

25. By The Gman on Dec 26, 2014 | Reply

If the Cards don’t get 150 yards rushing per game that will be their undoing.They can’t rely on Lindley to be accurate.C’mon Lindley prove me wrong!

26. By Chuck 1 on Dec 26, 2014 | Reply

Scott H. is correct.
    If Thomas isn’t good enough, in BA’s opinion, after Preseason and practicing for 17 weeks, to outplay Lindley,he shouldn’t be on the roster next season.
    Drafting him, especially in the 4th round, was a bad decision by Keim, probably with advice from BA.
    I’m starting to believe that Keim’s draft decisions (see Minter, Swope, and a few others) deserve a C+ at best.
    Draft a QB early in 2015.

27. By krehbieo14 on Dec 26, 2014 | Reply

As poorly as Lindley has performed, he has never taken a snap from a Cardinals team that was firing on all cylinders. Unfortunately for him, he has been thrust into situations where the entire team was outplayed in all facets of the game. Lindley should not be our scapegoat for recent poor tackling, dropped passes, critical penalties, O and D line play, lame running game. and inept special teams work. What are the options? I say throw the statistics out! We either whine or get behind the guy. I prefer to spend the last two or more games supporting the players we field on game day!

28. By TucsonTim on Dec 26, 2014 | Reply

Was it the same person who infected Beanie Wells knee?

“some outside treatment” ??? Like some treatment performed literally outside!? Certainly, that would increase the chances of an infection with or without Betadine!

I rotated on general surgery in the old days when the attending staff could literally physically and verbally abuse students, nurses, residents etc. I remember an attending screaming at a resident during rounds about a post op infection:

A POST OP INFECTION IS NOT SOME RANDOM ACT OF GOD! It results from poor aseptic technique and clumsy surgery.

Might be time for a review of Cardinal’s medical policies and procedures.

29. By Dave Chaney on Dec 26, 2014 | Reply

The Cardinal Jinx is alive and well and still going strong. Better luck next season but don’t hold your breath. Too bad such a great season has to come crashing down so hard, but if you doubt the power of The Jinx, just ask the Red Sox and Cubbies about them.
    That said, everyone deserves a huge thanks for all they did to make this season an enjoyable one. Especially you Darren for giving us such great columns week in and week out.

30. By Eric G on Dec 26, 2014 | Reply

Everyone saying Logan is a bust needs to just shut up. He’s a rookie who was and still is a three year project. Lindley is starting because he is more ready with more experience. With Stanton done for the season, BA had no other choice. Look, I think BA will give Lindley the hook if he sux again. But BA is facing the grim reality that he’s out the top two qbs riding into the playoffs. BA was just given a big pile of dog ish that he’s got to polish as best he can. Sure glad he’s coaching and not you knee jerks.

31. By Dave Chaney on Dec 26, 2014 | Reply

For those of you who think I am blowing smoke, read this…

The Cardinals NFL franchise is allegedly suffering a curse[32] by the citizens of Pottsville, Pennsylvania for undeservedly claiming the 1925 NFL championship from the Pottsville Maroons who were stripped of their title by the NFL in one of the greatest controversies in sports history. The curse will supposedly only be lifted when the championship is returned to Pottsville and to the correct shade of red team. The Cardinals team holds the NFL record for the longest championship drought. Arizona also lost Super Bowl XLIII to another Pennsylvania team: the Pittsburgh Steelers (whose founder Art Rooney supported Pottsville’s claim to the title). The franchise also leads the NFL in the total number of losses (716 through the 2013 season according to Pro Football Reference

**Since there won’t be a franchise in Pottsville in the near future, the Cards will continue to flounder when it comes to winning a championship. Case closed. Enjoy every win you can.

32. By erik on Dec 26, 2014 | Reply

I love some of you guys for your optimism. I would like to think of myself as an optimistic person too, but there is a line. I feel so sorry for the defensive players who busted their collective A$$ to get to this point. Keim dropped the ball. Literally any QB available, rusty or not, would inspire more hope than Ryan Lindley. Other than Logan Thomas, apparently. I will be gaining an extra four hours of my life this Sunday by not subjecting myself to the torture that is watching Lindley throw a football.

33. By krehbieo14 on Dec 26, 2014 | Reply

erik

I guess you have drawn the line about your level of optimism. I was passionate about the Cardinals from the get go and currently choose to support the Cards because I believe in the organization and the players they have assembled. Now is not the time to throw in the towel on our team that is struggling to stay afloat. This is the moment that the Cardinals need their fans the most. Four hours of my life will not be wasted, win or lose!

34. By SkeltonsRevenge on Dec 26, 2014 | Reply

Things are bad and I have no faith in Lindley whatsoever, let’s sign Skelton and get him familiar with the system asap and put Logan on the practice squad. Heck Green Bay would have signed Skelton when Rogers was injured but they went with Flynn who was a backup before. Also Dallas had him in to backup Romo for the playoff game. SF had him in to backup Kap but Colt McCoy went ballistic as he had competition. At the end of the day he has won games, I am sure he learn’t allot in Cinci and Tennessee . He also knows the team which is a big plus.

This is ironic cause if they had kept Skelton instead of Lindley this would not be as bad. Upon his release he was picked up immediately by Cinci but they only went with 2 QB’s and Johnson knew the system from Gruden’s Tampa days.

35. By NJAzCardsFan on Dec 26, 2014 | Reply

Well… It is readily apparent the wheels have fallen off of the Cards bus….. With Staton gone, stick a fork in the Cards, as the season is over. This is just being realistic….

As far as Thomas goes, if he isn’t QB material then make him a TE, with his size and speed the Cards would gave a matching TE with Darren Fells. This would save the 4th round pick.

The way this season has ended is tragic for the Team, Mgmt and the Fans……

36. By Dr. G. on Dec 27, 2014 | Reply

Cards Fans – – Darren confirmed long ago that our Defense was basically on auto-pilot with Todd Bowles, probably with the exception of input from BA for personnel decisions to GM SKeim. Bowles has proven that motivation and scheming can compensate very well for what appeared to be continuing devastating personnel losses. This next-man-up thing now seems to only apply to the Defense. Bowles was determined that losing Dansby & DWash and many others would not ruin his team.

Before you leap….The Offense is a different animal in football. It is impossible to compensate for the loss of your top 2 QBs. Without a decent QB, the ignition keys are lost. But if you look carefully at the strategies for our Offense this year, it seems to me that our personnel were better that the plans put in place for them. We had some very close calls beginning with the Chargers in our own house. I look to see some strategic changes in 2015.

But for now, I hang with the optimists to see how far we can go. I’m thinking that our Defense will come in with chips on their shoulders and try to win regardless what the Offense does. I just hope there are ZERO TURNOVERS to put the Defense in vulnerable positions. Our Special teams can make a big difference as well.

This team has had serious success despite all the….. ((you name it)) ..be well…

37. By Russell on Dec 27, 2014 | Reply

I agree that Skelton would be worth a shot, he did win games for us as someone stated. He gets slagged but I do not think it was all his fault .

38. By Big Ken on Dec 27, 2014 | Reply

@ Dave Chaney I enjoyed the history, but I don’t believe in curse, jinx, or wizards.

39. By John The Draft Guy on Dec 27, 2014 | Reply

krehbieo14

Thomas is behind Lindley and Arians is afraid to play him. I would hardly say that is making it in the NFL. He is on a roster for now.

As for Stanton done for the year; NFL network said they believe the surgery and infection was season ending. Just speculation, but it is doubtful he is back next week to practice for Playoffs.

Get behind Ryan Lindley??? I would rather get behind Stoney Case, Tom Tupa, Stan Gelbaugh, Timm Rosenbaugh, John Skelton, Max Hall, or one of the countless failures that fans have told me, just believe, he can do it.

40. By Kevin S Mesa on Dec 28, 2014 | Reply

I love how, with Lindley sucking, we get all these calls to grab guys (Tebow, Skelton) whom not a single NFL team thought worthy to keep, even as a 3rd stringer. Folks, the 3rd string QB (Thomas) or a guy off some other team’s practice squad (Lindley) isn’t going to be good, period. On most teams even the backup is pretty bad, much less the #3 guy.

I do agree with some of the folks above about Thomas. The whole “project” QB thing to me is a crapshoot. This team already wasted draft picks on project QB’s (Skelton — 5th round, Lindley — 6th round) that could’ve been used to grab guys that might actually still be producing. Yes, I know there are guys (Romo, Brady, Warner) who were drafted in the lower rounds or undrafted who excelled. But they are by far the exception. The odds that Logan Thomas ever starts a game as the Cardinals’ #1 QB (as opposed to out of necessity due to injury) are close to zero.

41. By Dave Chaney on Dec 28, 2014 | Reply

@Big Ken Normally I would agree with you but having been a fan since 1960, there has been way too much adversity to call it a mere coincidence. Obviously I am a die hard fan and stick with the team through thick and thin, but it gets frustrating at times.I guess the biggest disappointment I have this year is the likeihood that what seemed to be a fantastic season will now end tainted (unless you believe in miracles) and the rest of the league can once again laugh at us.

42. By krehbieo14 on Dec 28, 2014 | Reply

JTDG

First, obviously you failed to read my first sentence accurately. Second, I thought you were big on having the evidence no matter what the media promotes as truth. Third, I am sure that Lindley has a game plan he can execute without considering your negativity as a Cards fan.

43. By krehbieo14 on Dec 28, 2014 | Reply

JTDG

Correction. Please re-read my SECOND sentence.

2. Dec 26, 2014: Ryan Lindley To Start, Drew Stanton In Question – RedZone Sport