Keim talks Bowles interest and QB status

Posted by Darren Urban on December 29, 2014 – 8:25 am

The playoffs are here, but for 20 non-playoff teams, the business of the NFL does not stop. Black Monday arrived in the NFL and already there are five teams with head coaching openings: The 49ers, Raiders, Jets, Falcons and Bears. Cardinals defensive coordinator Todd Bowles is expected to generate interest in that market, and while the Cards gave Bowles a big raise this season, they also know there is the possibility Bowles could be offered and accept a head coaching job. It has always felt more like a question of when rather than if.

“Our expectations are that several teams will reach out to us,” General Manager Steve Keim said Monday during his weekly appearance on the “Doug and Wolf” show on Arizona Sports 98.7. “Now, it remains to be seen whether there will be mutual interest or not, but Todd has done an excellent job and at some point he deserve an opportunity. Hopefully for us we can keep him in place for a little while longer.”

The defense has had its issues the past two games but I do not expect that to undercut Bowles’ potential candidacy. I also think Bowles likes it in Arizona, and have always believed he will be very choosy in what jobs he may or may not want.

As for Keim, some of the other topics he covered the day after the Cardinals finished the regular season with an 11-5 record:

— The fact the Cardinals won 11 games playing four quarterbacks “is a testament to the coaching staff and their flexibility and quite frankly some of the young players who have stepped up,” Keim said.

The Cardinals are “the epitome of team,” Keim added.

— As for the status of quarterback Drew Stanton, he is “day to day and we’re hopeful” he can play this week, Keim said. Certainly the GM gave no indication Stanton was anything of a sure bet to be back. Keim said it was still unknown if Stanton could practice Tuesday.

— Even without Stanton, Keim (not surprisingly) professed confidence in Ryan Lindley’s ability to start. “I thought Ryan played a good game” Sunday, Keim said.

— Keim said rehabbing quarterback Carson Palmer is doing well and is “as fired up as ever” to play in 2015. “He’s very excited about the future here,” Keim said. “I think it goes back to show you, when you go through some injuries, how valuable Carson Palmer really was. The guy was having an excellent year. I think he’ll have a little bit of a chip on his shoulder, and he’ll be ready to prove some people wrong.”

I think it’s pretty clear that Palmer will be the No. 1 in 2015, barring something crazy happening in the offseason.

— Keim, like coach Bruce Arians, wasn’t happy with the tackling. “The tackling in general was unacceptable,” Keim said. He went on to say that he tends to be old school on the subject, and that tackling does have a technique to it, it is “mostly want-to.” He reiterated he had been disappointed Sunday. “(The 49ers) made us look extremely bad in space,” said, noting that against the Panthers in the playoffs, “we’re going to have to get that fixed in a hurry.”

— Guard Jonathan Cooper (wrist) will also be day-to-day, Keim said.

Tags: , , , ,

70 Responses to “Keim talks Bowles interest and QB status”

1. By joe holst on Dec 29, 2014 | Reply

someone is blowing coverages and going 1-3 against the Niners and Seahawks will not cut it. They will need to put up at least 24 against Carolina to win and I a glad they do not have to go into Atlanta instead.

2. By Eric G on Dec 29, 2014 | Reply

Lindley played a great first half, typical second half for him. Can’t see Lindley doing better than that, especially the way he stared down receivers. He’s lucky he didn’t have more interceptions. Kudos to BA for throwing in the flea flicker to get Lindley the TD toss he desperately needed. That’s a player’s coach right there and makes me love him more.

Look, regardless of how the Cards do in the playoffs, this has been a fantastic year to be a Cardinals fan. Seriously, with all these injuries the “same old Cardinals” team would be 5-11, not the other way around. Thank you so much to Michael, Steve, Bruce, Todd and all the rest of the unsung personnel over there for bringing in the new Cardinals era. Look at all the other teams in the Playoffs, not one is without their starting QB. Who’d have thought the Cards would be THAT team.

As for Saturday, I think the Cards have an outside shot at winning in Carolina. The D has to win this one, stop giving up the big play in the beginning of the game. The secondary has to stop letting receivers get behind them. Even if the Cards don’t win, let’s hope its close and competitive.

Let’s Go Cardinaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaals!

3. By D on Dec 29, 2014 | Reply

I see 2 of the 5 openings that may interest Todd, Atl and Oak. Both have QB’s, but I hope he is waiting another year for the MIA job to open up again.

I hope Larry Foote can play Sat, this defense is going to see a lot of Running against them…

4. By John The Draft Guy on Dec 29, 2014 | Reply

Can’t agree with Keim more. We need Palmer back.

As for Bowles, worse case situation? Bowles to SF. Do not want to see that.

5. By LadyBird04 on Dec 29, 2014 | Reply

Bowles and his defense didn’t put on a decent showing the last two weeks. These failures to defend against mobile qb’s may have some teams thinking twice about hiring him as Head Coach. The defense didn’t stop either SF or Seattle and left huge lanes down the middle of the field, I don’t even want to go on the discuss the “non” tackling.

Lindley played like a good third string qb. He put 17 pts on the board (yes he threw 3 interceptions) but the defense didn’t play the way we expect them to play either.

6. By carlo milano on Dec 29, 2014 | Reply

i think we need speed on defense
    foote minter shaughnessy rashard johnson tony fefferson
    are very slow players
    if we want compete with best teams we need speed
    do u know why rams cpuld beat a lot of good teams even if they have a sub average qb?
    cause of their speed

7. By Coach K on Dec 29, 2014 | Reply

Eric, I see Lindley continuing to progress under the coaching of B.A. and Moore. Quarterbacks take 3-5 years to develop. I think Lindley has a chance to improve. How far he can develop is the big question.

I agree with Keim about the tackling. That was the worst tackling I have seen all year. Crow must have thought he was playing two hand touch. Terrible tackling by our secondary players.

The loss of Larry Foote was huge. He is clearly the field General of the defense and we cannot win without him.

I have a good feeling that Stanton will be back and we will make a serious run at this season, but it sure will be difficult on the road.

Fingers crossed.

8. By Andy Kw on Dec 29, 2014 | Reply

All I can say is that Ryan Lindley made some strides against the San Francisco 49ers but they were without their top defensive backs SS Eric Reid and CB Perrish Cox but nonetheless it was improvement. Bruce Arians stuck with Lindley and Lindley somewhat responded positively. But starting now, this is a fresh start 0-0 record going into the Playoffs. All of the past success that we had this season is out the window and all we can focus on is the here and now. Play hard football and show that we are not the one and done.
    -Secure tackles please, I think we all know that this has been a big concern the past two games.
    -The key to winning this game is to contain Cam Newton. As Darren Urban said, he still has that back injury from the car accident and so he might to run as much as he used to.
    -Patrick Peterson, Antonio Cromartie, Rashad Johnson/Tyrann Mathieu, & Deone Buccannon/Tony Jefferson have to play smart. All of their success and struggles is wiped clean and now this is their chance for redemption. Cardinals veterans like Larry Fitzgerald and Darnell Dockett have been seeking a Super Bowl return and Victory/Ring for a long time and this is our chance to reward them.
    -Alex Okafor could have had 10 sacks on the season if he tackled Russell Wilson and Colin Kaepernick but he missed both tackles. Wilson pushed and shoved Okafor. Okafor wrapped Kaepernick but Colin was still able to escape. Improve on that and we should be good.
    -The sky is the limit for us and the Cardinals can get a W. Every game is winnable and Tyrann Mathieu is right, the Cardinals need to play with more attitude. This is the Cardinals chance to shine. This is now or never for our long time Cardinals vets. Just as the Baltimore Ravens fought to get a ring for Ray Lewis, we have to believe and fight to get a ring for Larry Fitzgerald.
    -We have less than two minutes left in the 49ers game and that is plenty of time to move the ball down the field, no need to force anything. We can’t turn the ball over and that is exactly what Lindley did. Play calm and play smart. Do not play scared.

9. By Richard L on Dec 29, 2014 | Reply

I’m surprised that the only critique from Arians and Kiem is the tackling. As I watched the last 5 games a few observations I would have liked to have Arians and Keim address.
    1. Cards played their best with a 4-3 defense. We don’t have the LB for a 3-4
    2. When Coop is in we run the ball 140 yards. Evidently that has an effect on play calling too and I like it.
    3. Kerwyn is the best running back we have we need to use him more.
    4. Cat man needs to be sharp for us to win a close game
    5. Without pressure and sacks on the quarterback our secondary looks average at best

10. By Patrick Hoog aka Don't Take Losses on Dec 29, 2014 | Reply

Sure, we could nit pick but Cards’ cup is half full, not half empty. Very proud of our guys. We’re in the tournament, like Coach says, “its a new season”. Never say never with them team. Go Cards.

11. By Chuck 1 on Dec 29, 2014 | Reply

From JTDG: “I really noticed the two inside LBs are bad.
    Minter and Carson played most of the snaps and there was a huge difference between Foote and Bucannon and these two. Carson really struggles to get off blocks. His instincts are poor also. Minter misses tackles and is too slow to go sideline to sideline. I hope this is not the future. They are not good enough.”

I posted, a few threads ago, that Keim needs to draft or sign two ILBs and got almost all thumbs down.

I feel vindicated.

12. By rod on Dec 29, 2014 | Reply

Congratulations on a great season!

If we stay relatively healthy next season the other teams are in trouble!

2015
    ILB
    Edge rusher
    OG

13. By Dynosoar on Dec 29, 2014 | Reply

Richard L.

last post you wrote “It was like he was calling plays for a two minute drill down by 7 point. Can’t blame Lindley for the play calls.”

I agree with the two minute assessment, but not sure I agree with the deduction of throwing the game. My take, there are no more padded practices for Lindley AND Stanton is doubtful next week AND Lindley needs full speed practice in the two minute drill for next week if he’s playing AND we we’re going to the playoffs so a win or loss would not affect that at all.

I think he was trying to get Lindley as much practice as he could in different situations and the team to practice with Lindley as well so we could be best prepared to win next week.

I think our game with the 49ers was about an extra padded practice at full speed for the team. I could be wrong, I haven’t talked with BA lately.

What do you think?

The Lombardi trophy or nothing at all!

14. By Dynosoar on Dec 29, 2014 | Reply

georgiebird (and others),

glass half full.

It’s the most difficult step of all and that is to want to see things half full, because sometimes (and around some things) our brains are hardwired to see half empty. I think 99.99% of the “experts” are hardwired to see the Cardinals losing Every week, regardless of who their opponent is.

Welcome to the half full club!

Part 1 of 2, continued…

15. By John The Draft Guy on Dec 29, 2014 | Reply

So much of next years offseason depends on DWash and his return or not return.

I’m not ready to go into the offseason yet, but I get why many of you are.

But I will throw out one name as a possible first rounder for the cards. Shaq Thompson. The cards loved DWash, Shazier, and used Bucannon in that Inside weakside LB. This tells me speed, a guy who can cover and blitz fits the spot. Just remember that name as April rolls around.

But this year is not up. Off to Carolina. Carolina relies on a run game and defense. Scary part is Cam’s favorite weapon is Olsen, a very good TE, and we still struggle with fast TEs. The cards must find a way to stop the run and take away Olsen. If we do these two things, we can win this game.

I’d like to see us win the big game in Carolina. Can we beat either GB or Seattle? It would take a perfect game to do so, but I’d like that shot.

Looking forward to Saturday.

16. By grabling on Dec 29, 2014 | Reply

Why is playing number 56? He is a very bad player…

17. By Richard L on Dec 29, 2014 | Reply

Dynosaur,

Throwing the game was a pun and not meant to be taken literally. I agree that Stanton isn’t going to play on Saturday. Lindley had a limited playbook yesterday which was expanded over the Seattle playbook so he is clearly learning each week. I think BA always wants to win the game but to me he seems to get pass happy in the 4th quarter. That has cost him some games and won him some games. The games he won early in the season were with Palmer at QB. We can all agree Lindley isn’t Palmer. I would prefer staying committed to the run when down by only 3 pts.

18. By Dynosoar on Dec 29, 2014 | Reply

georgiebird (and others),

glass half full. Here are my reasons (four of them, so more than just the two posts so they aren’t too long each.)…

1) Since our first injury (not our second, our first) before pre-season had even begun the “experts” had us with a losing season and this after last years 10-6 season.
    We Are 11-5 and were the first team in the ENTIRE NFL to clinch a playoff birth. Despite the first or any injuries.

2) Twice Darren has quoted the coaches saying we intentionally lose the first half so we can learn our opponents strengths and weaknesses so we can beat them in the second half.
    If one reads the Art of War by Sun Tzu, he states a general who understands his OWN And his OPPONENTS strengths and weaknesses will ALWAYS win. I believe every time a QB has gone down, we’ve been spending weeks of playing time (because the CBA only allows a few padded practices) learning our own strengths and weaknesses with a new backup Qb so we can win in the playoffs.

19. By Dynosoar on Dec 29, 2014 | Reply

georgiebird (and others),

glass half full. Part 3 of 4…

3) Despite the prognosticators saying we suck and can’t win, we were the first team to clinch the playoffs.
    Goetthe stated “treat a man as he is and he will remain as he is. Treat a man as he can become and he will become that man.”

Has anyone thought perhaps the reason our team is on a losing streak is everyone from the “experts” to many on this site are treating the Cardinals as a losing team EVERY week EVEN WHEN THEY WIN.

Treat them as a winning team as BA has been and that is 90% of next weeks win. Why are the Seahawks winning in dominant fashion? Because they go on the field knowing they will win. 90% of the game is that feeling/belief.

I know, sounds pie in the sky, but I’ve yet to have a pie I didn’t like and my screen name does say “soar.”

20. By grabling on Dec 29, 2014 | Reply

Which cardinals players will be free agents in 2015?

21. By Darren Urban on Dec 29, 2014 | Reply

grabling —

RE: FAs

I’ll have a post on that whenever the Cards are done. Trying to make sure I have all the details first.

22. By D on Dec 29, 2014 | Reply

Keim, tell SF No to interviewing Bowles. If he get’s the Falcons/Jets/Bears jobs then great for him, but not inside our Division. Can’t believe M. Smith get’s fired and J. Fisher still has a job-besides BA, has anyone seen his overall win/loss record…BA was right on the mark with him.

John–I think Shaq can play that spot, he has the speed, smaller than DWash. I think the Cards will bring back DWash because he is not cap friendly next year and there are not too many LB’s can cover like him. I am thinking he will be suspended 4-6 games next year, so the Cards need another stud at ILB that can play all 3 downs. I am not sure if B. McKinney can cover as well, but I do like his size, similar to Dansby. Cards probably will be drafting anywhere from 22-25.

23. By Darren Urban on Dec 29, 2014 | Reply

D —

RE: Bowles

A team cannot turn down a request to talk to an assistant coach for a HC job. It’s a formality, and the fact the news gets out is only about letting the world know what teams are interested in whom.

24. By Dynosoar on Dec 29, 2014 | Reply

georgiebird (and others)

glass half full, part 4 of 4…

4) We are still winning more games than we are losing, with backups to our backups. That’s not a silver lining, That’s a Silver Mine!

And I’ll believe we can win this until we lose it all And We Haven’t Yet.

We have at least one more game.
    Then at least one more.
    Then at least one more.
    Then one more.

No one (outside of Tostitos players) should ever be in the Cardinals lockers EXCEPT the Cardinals!

The Lombardi trophy or nothing at all!

25. By Scott H on Dec 29, 2014 | Reply

Man, if there is ANY justice in this world, Palmer will be back strong next year and will actually make it to AND THROUGH the post-season. That poor guy….

And once again, we enter the off-season knowing one of our coordinators will probably be on everyone’s wish list. And, man, wouldn’t it REALLY suck to see him land right in the division with San Fran??? Heck, why not? If WE were looking for a HC, it would make perfect sense to tap a coordinator from another team in the division, wouldn’t it???

I can also see the Bears being very interested. The Bears have always been about proud defenses and they are going to want to get back to that in the Windy City. Why wouldn’t they be looking at Bowles??

Can only hope he will want to stay in what appears to be a GREAT situation here in Arizona. Nice that they made it harder for him to leave with the extension during the year. The Cardinals have done all they can.

26. By D on Dec 29, 2014 | Reply

Darren- do you see Keim/BA promoting within the defensive staff if Todd is hired away? I could see Todd take a few coaches with him-I am assuming Keim and Co have a ready coaching list like they do for UFA players…

27. By Darren Urban on Dec 29, 2014 | Reply

D —

RE: Bowles

I could see BA staying internal, but that doesn’t mean it’d be so.

As for Bowles taking other coaches, if another coach is under contract in Arizona, Bowles cannot take anyone unless the Cardinals would allow him to leave (in which case, you’d assume they were prepared to replace them.)

28. By Dynosoar on Dec 29, 2014 | Reply

Richard L,

I love puns and I missed that one. You’d think I’d have caught that one. (Sorry, a bad pun I know.)

29. By Dynosoar on Dec 29, 2014 | Reply

D,

if you wonder about Smith getting axed and not Fisher, what about Whizenhunt still being in?

I’m still interested in what happened in SF, there were reports in the media since before pre-season that Harbaugh would be terminated this season, did they create the scenario to get him axed?

“The fact the Cardinals won 11 games playing four quarterbacks “is a testament to the coaching staff and their flexibility and quite frankly some of the young players who have stepped up,” Keim said.

The Cardinals are “the epitome of team,” Keim added.”

Keim says it best because that’s a fact!

30. By Chuck 1 on Dec 29, 2014 | Reply

From JTDG:
    …”We also need to get a young QB to groom. We can’t go into next year with Thomas again.”

I agree wholeheartedly.

I still would like to know your opinion about which QB the Cards should draft in 2015.

31. By Richard L on Dec 29, 2014 | Reply

Is it just me or does anyone find it concerning the GM is talking about Palmer coming back next year when we have a Playoff game on Saturday.

32. By John The Draft Guy on Dec 29, 2014 | Reply

Chuck 1

Marriota !🙂

Too bad he won’t be there. So much goes into drafting a QB. I want to see bowl games (East-West, Senior Bowl), plus , which Jrs are going into the draft and who is not.

At this moment, I would consider Brent Hundley. He has the same tools as Marriota and could benefit from sitting a year behind Palmer.

But, what if the kids from Stanford or Michigan St found their way in the draft? That might change things.

The other thing you have to consider, this team is close. If you could get an impact player to help you win in 2015, you might have to wait till 2016. I don’t want to, but I think a win now attitude must be adopted. Palmer is older, Fitz is getting there, This is our window and it might be tough to take that QB early and not take that ILB or OLB you need.

Lot’s to consider. It is just too early.

33. By SkeltonsRevenge on Dec 29, 2014 | Reply

I agree Lindley made big progress and may I add he is one lucky guy to even have had another shot given his past and Seattle last week. I mean to draw up a scenario where Lindley would be starting in a playoff game would have been unimaginable! He made the best of it albeit SF was playing without allot of their secondary starters. Lindley’s second half was typical, kudos really to the OL cause without time to pass and a run game nothing happens. They kept the sacks down. He played like Skelton in 2011 except the halves reversed, Skelton was a second half guy.

34. By georgiebird on Dec 29, 2014 | Reply

There are two ways to look at Todd Bowles:
    1) TB is doing a great job with the pedestrian players on our defense
    2) TB can coach against teams with average to sub-par QBs
    I think it will be good for the NFL if TB can become a head coach. He seems like a nice guy who can get guys to play for him. But I also think it would be good for the Cardinals if Todd moved on.

35. By georgiebird on Dec 29, 2014 | Reply

I hope SK is blowing smoke about the QB position. In his last game against the Rams, Palmer was 25 for 36 (70%) with no TDs and 1 INT.-CP’s QB rating for the day was only 76.3%. And that was a home game. Palmer is not the guy to win in the NFC West. The defenses are too quick for CP. And if the Cards should make the playoffs next year, CP would be 36.
    CP could possibly be the answer if the defense was better but the defense is a problem right now.
    We owe this great year to BA who should have won the COY three years running. A quick check shows that most of the HCs that have won multiple COYs are either in the HOF or have received serious consideration.

36. By Mark in Chandler on Dec 29, 2014 | Reply

Have you heard on what the Cards’ plans are for Daryl Washington?
    Has he been clean since he was suspended?
    Any rumors on if he will get additional games suspended for the domestic violence charge?

The Cards have a lot of money invested in him. He has rare talent at a position that the Cards are hurting at. He not a problem in the locker room. If he has kept clean and done what he was asked then I think he gets another chance.

What have you heard?

37. By Darren Urban on Dec 29, 2014 | Reply

Mark In —

RE: Washington

I have not heard anything on DWash.

38. By Davemaham on Dec 29, 2014 | Reply

I hate to say it…..but I believe there’s a strong possibility Bowles will be in San Fran next year.

39. By infitzwetrust on Dec 29, 2014 | Reply

I think with the deep connection Bowles an Arians have with Bowles playing for him an then the part where Arians made some sort of promise to Todd about having him on his staff someday, will really speak volumes about the decision and hopefully help with the cause of keeping the guy.

I’d bet comfortably that he will be the D-Coordinator next season.

40. By Chuck 1 on Dec 29, 2014 | Reply

D,

Re: Replacement for Bowles:

I posted the following several threads ago when I was wondering who Keim would select from within (if he chose to do that) to replace Bowles. The Cards have seven “defensive coaches”.

My guess is that the most likely, based on experience, are (alphabetically):

Caldwell (Linebackers coach), Jones (Special Teams Coordinator) , Rapone (Defensive Backs Coach) and Ross (Cornerbacks coach).

I would think that Keim and BA have already had some conversations about this subject.

41. By Chuck 1 on Dec 29, 2014 | Reply

JTDG,

Thanks for your opinion.
    I realize that you’ve said that it’s early to decide which QBs would be best for the Cards. We also don’t have a good feel for which one would be there when the Cards pcik.

42. By superbowlcards on Dec 30, 2014 | Reply

Richard L,
    We have to throw the ball in order to move down the field, our running game is putrid, weak, non-existant, Ellington is not the answer, he is a big play back or 3rd down type pass catcher, hell he may make a better slot reciever than running back, we need a workhorse type of running back high in the draft, a Todd Gurley type, or even take a look at signing on the cheap of course, with a contract full of team favored restrictions, maybe sign Ray Rice. We also need a pass rush, as I mentioned before, the kid from Utah looks like the real deal, worthy of a first round pick.
    JTDG,
    Thomas is our QB of the future, he needs more than 1 year on the sidelines, hell Lindley had what, 2,3yrs of development time, whats your hurry to sack Logan Thomas, he is more accurate than Lindley is, and a much better athlete, he is a better athlete than Kaep or Wilson, as a matter of fact, plus we just resigned Palmer, Stanton is under contract for next season isnt he? So why waste a pick on another QB when we have to many pressing needs and a small window to go for broke! Thomas gets another year learning frop Palmer and serving as the 3rd string QB, we cant possibly have near as many injuries next year, at least I hope the hell not!!
    Small change of topic…i do like the pass rush monster out of Utah, cant ever remember his dang name, also I wish there was a way to get Todd Gurley at running back, and the ILB out of the U (Miami) he obviously wont be around past the first round or maybe very early second round, but if I could wish those 3onto the Cardinals that would be a dream come true!!

43. By WVcardFan on Dec 30, 2014 | Reply

Whoever gets the gig in SF is almost certainly going to bring in his own guys. So, if Bowles gets a HC job elsewhere, I would take a long, hard look at guys like Vic Fangio and Jim Tomsula for DC.

44. By much.faster on Dec 30, 2014 | Reply

how is the contract situation with lindley?

45. By Darren Urban on Dec 30, 2014 | Reply

Much —

RE: Lindley

I believe he is only signed through this season.

46. By clssylssy on Dec 30, 2014 | Reply

When all the who-ha about Harbaugh started early on, seems like I recall Darren stating that coaches were in somewhat of the same circumstances as players when they were under contract and their was interest in them from other teams. i.e.,basically, it was up to the team’s discretion to “allow” them to accept another team’s offer or they could be traded for draft picks etc. Basically, they are “owned” by the team and are essentially livestock.
    Now the question about Todd Bowles comes up with San Francisco (which would be an obvious gold nugget job and the best career choice) and so I’m wondering if the team would let Fitz be traded to the Seahawks? During the game last week it was speculated heavily that Fitz was playing his last regular season game in a Cards uniform and that he hadn’t been utilized by Arians to his potential and might want to go somewhere that would be different and he could get a ring. I could see him being the “old Larry” in Seattle, but also see the Cards playing hardball with a player unlike with a coach who technically is still under contract and “property”.
    Let’s face it, this is not going to be the same team next year and this may be the only shot we have at the SB for some time to come as we enter a “rebuilding” phase. And, despite all the amazing things BA has done, getting this team even this far with all the losses, usually honors like MVP and COY are attached to the teams who make it into the Big Dance. Individual stats and team records fade surprisingly fast like game scores to all but a few.
    @Georgiebird…you may profess to be a fan of BA for COY but continue to devalue the Cards defense and it’s players who are still ultimately under the purview of the HC; can’t have it both ways…lol!

47. By Andy Kw on Dec 30, 2014 | Reply

I want a change to some defensive staff and it starts with our defensive backs coach.

48. By jme on Dec 30, 2014 | Reply

Cards Have To Win Saturday!!! NOOOOO Way Loose To The South!!! Come On Cards Turn It Up NOW!!!! No More Mistakes, Get That Pride Back And Urgency!!!
    Come On Big Red!!!

49. By John The Draft Guy on Dec 30, 2014 | Reply

superbowlcards;

Thomas;

You can’t just wish or hope for something, and that makes it true. Yes, Thomas has some tools. But he was very inaccurate in college and his stats got worse each year.

But forget all that. Let’s just look at what is going on in the pros. He was really bad in Denver. I think we can all agree to that. But maybe he wasn’t ready.

But what says it all to me is, when Stanton went down, Arians went with Lindley. Then, when Lindley played so bad, the coach decided to go with Thomas. Then , after one practice, he went back to Lindley. How bad must he have been to not take the job from Lindley?

Palmer and Stanton will be back next year most likely. But 2016, there is a chance neither will be here. Are you absolutely sure that you are willing to pass on a young QB in 2015, and go into the 2016 season with a guy who can not beat out Lindley? I mean, at worst case, bring in someone to compete with him.

As I mentioned, the window is closing on players like Palmer. We need to win in 2015. I would have to see who is there when we are drafting and the only way I don’t take a QB is (1) the guys there are not worth the pick (2) there is a player who can help me win in 2015.

As for the Utah player, Nate Orchard. You watch that UCLA game and he is the best player in college football. He had 4 sacks in that game and most likely will fall into the 2nd round (maybe the end of 1). Perryman from the U is a nice player but Keim talked about players with length last year and Perryman is short. Not sure he is the type of player Keim will add.

50. By rod on Dec 30, 2014 | Reply

WVCardFan-

You talked so badly about Bowles at the beginning, so badly you owe him an apology.

Just saying.

51. By much.faster on Dec 30, 2014 | Reply

lindleys contract🙂

now think about it, they win with lindley in carolina (i bet on it), and lindley makes a great game (not so far fetching).

and then stanton is healthy enough for green bay.

and then lindley is a free agent, could be a nice payday for him.

one game …….

52. By WVcardFan on Dec 30, 2014 | Reply

rod-
    The job Bowles did in Philadelphia had me very concerned. Obviously, I was wrong. FWIW, I don’t think any team hires Bowles as a HC this year. I think Chicago is his best chance, but it’s unlikely. I think Atlanta, NYJ will go with an offensive-minded guy. And I think SF will promote Fangio.

53. By clssylssy on Dec 30, 2014 | Reply

Interesting to see what other playoff teams are doing to gear up for a run at the SB. Just saw where the Steelers signed RB Ben Tate and I would say by now they should know what it takes to bring home the Lombardi(es)!
    Are we doing anything special to shore up our roster?

54. By Dr. G. on Dec 30, 2014 | Reply

Someone mentioned Dallas favoritism..! For the record, Suh deserves more sanctions than he received…a super dirty player. ((Conspiracy theories?))

The unspoken, not printed hope for the Super Bowl is that the Cardinals do not get lucky and make it there. Though it will sell out, the Chambers of Commerce would predict serious losses of potential air//hotel//food//misc income from only one out-of-town team’s fans.

Improbable as it seems at the moment, I would sure like to see if the Chambers are wrong…

55. By John The Draft Guy on Dec 30, 2014 | Reply

clssylssy,

Yes, I heard we just landed Andrew Luck and JJ Watt. Amazing job Keim!!!🙂

I mean, who do you think they are going to land at this point? This is our team and our best hope is somehow winning with Lindley in Carolina, getting Stanton back somehow, and getting another shot at Seattle.

56. By rod on Dec 30, 2014 | Reply

WVcardFan-

I think Bowles goes to Atlanta for the opposite reason, they’ve already got an offense, they need a defensive minded coach.

Anyway, you seem like one of the most knowledgeable folks on here, I look for your responses all the time.

Go Cardinals!

57. By Kevin S Mesa on Dec 30, 2014 | Reply

Georgiebird —

I agree with you that Bowles hasn’t really shown this year that he can stop a team with a strong passing offense led by a very good QB. There aren’t all that many vacancies and I don’t know that he’s going to get a HC job, but if he does, we’ll somehow manage to get by. So many people were falling all over themselves on this site saying we had to do everything possible to keep Horton… well, if we’d kept Horton we’d never have had Bowles to begin with. I think we can survive Bowles’ departure if it comes to that (although I don’t think he’ll get an HC job this year).

I don’t agree with you on Palmer. You single out his last game where he was “only” 25-36 (a shade under 70%) with a 76.3 passer rating (due to one INT and no TD’s). What about the other 5 games he played, two of which were in the 90’s and the other three of which were over 100? What about the fact that since the second half of last year (once the offense figured out Arians’ system), Palmer has a rating over 95? What about the fact that we finished last year 7-2 and were 6-0 this year in games started by Palmer? Yes, he’s getting older, but assuming he can come back from this injury, there’s no reason to think he doesn’t have at least a couple more years in him. He was playing the top football of his career here in the last half of last year and first half of this year.

I agree with you that the defense isn’t quite as good as some fans think it is (although it was certainly hurt by the unexpected losses of D. Wash, Dockett, and Abraham; the loss of Dansby, of course, you can’t count since he left for the money). But if anything, the travails with Stanton and Lindley should convince Cardinals fans what a good thing we had going with Palmer.

58. By tyman on Dec 30, 2014 | Reply

Should go get a vet like Charlie Batch.
    Would stand a way better chance than playing with Lindley.

59. By Scott H on Dec 30, 2014 | Reply

Kevin –

We know where we both stand on this, but I think you go too far when you lump Stanton and Lindley together as you did in the previous post. Not sure if you truly intended that but IMHO, that is very unfair to Stanton. Just as you would object to anyone saying that there is little distinction between Palmer and Stanton ( as you did when I suggested something similar way back when🙂 ), I have to object to any statement appearing to acknowledge little distinction between Stanton and Lindley.

Stanton has a winning record in games he started for the Cardinals this year. And without that, we aren’t 11-5 and we are nowhere near the playoffs. That is what you hope for from your back-up QB if he is pressed into service. Stanton has done his job pretty well and his contribution was critical.

The expectations for LIndley are understandably lower because he is a 3rd string QB. But all the same, there is a considerable gap between what we could expect with Stanton vs what we could expect with Lindley. Just as there is a considerable gap between what we could expect from Stanton vs what we could expect with Palmer.

Surely, you would agree? Again, maybe lumping Stanton and Lindley together was not your point and if not, then I’m just stating what would appear to be the obvious.

At the very least, you’re not the one saying we should go get Charlie Batch…..and for that, we thank you!

60. By clssylssy on Dec 30, 2014 | Reply

JTDG and others…
    I don’t recall mentioning anything about our QB situation…there ARE other positions on the team on both sides of the ball, especially defense that I had more in mind. Funny that you would jump to the conclusion that the QB was the only area of weakness we have, and, it was more an observation at that.
    It seems that after riding high all season we’re now being referred to along with the Panthers as the bottom feeders who are already “losers” or the weird kids who don’t really deserve to hang with the others.
    FYI, I think Lindley did a very good job against the 9ers with just a couple of weeks working with the team, and I’m not among those with tunnel vision when it comes to our QB strength; it is what it is and what we have to work with! If everyone had improved their game as much as Lindley did last week we would have blown out the 9ers…just say’n.
    Some of the teams in the playoffs have made it almost an annual trip and I think s we could learn from those around us who have apparently figured some things out through experience.
    Most experts (outside of Cardinal land) believe Coach Bowles to be a top contender and I do think he will have offers. There is a difference between “not getting a HC job” and not choosing to accept a HC job this year. Either way, changes will come…it’s the NFL!

61. By Tony on Dec 30, 2014 | Reply

Sorry but the Cards are 1 and done come Sat, keep thinking the Panthers are garbage because of there record. Its a new day and the Panthers have won 4 in a row while the Cardinals have lost 3 in a row. Dosent matter if Stanton comes back or not the Cards are not a match for Seattle at home. Face facts the Cards are 1 and done better luck next year. GO HAWKS!!!!!

62. By Scott H on Dec 31, 2014 | Reply

Tony –

First, the Cardinals have NOT lost 3 in a row. If you’re gonna be an idiot, you could at least be an idiot who could take 2 seconds to get his facts straight.

Second, don’t bother with any more posts, loser.

63. By Kevin S Mesa on Dec 31, 2014 | Reply

Scott H —

Yes, we are in total agreement there. I was just trying to make the point that the fact we had to rely on our backups should remind people how good it was with Palmer. I’m not saying Palmer is the 2nd coming of Johnny Unitas, but it’s been a long time (as in, since Kurt Warner) since this team had a real QB. 95 rating is nothing to sneeze at. Stanton at 78 or whatever it is, is passable for a backup (he’s actually ahead of a handful of starters on bad teams, like Carr and Geno… while it would be nice to be in a Favre/Rodgers or Montana/Young situation, you can’t expect that, so having a backup who’s as good as a bad team’s starter is good enough for me). Lindley? I don’t even want to look his rating up. I meant no slight to Stanton lumping him with Lindley.

And that’s actually not meant to be a slight to Lindley either. I mean, he sucks, but what team’s 3rd string QB is any good? When I complain about Lindley, it’s not because I think, “Man, Lindley, you should be better,” it’s more because I am cursing our fate that we have to play him to begin with. He is who he is, a QB whose ceiling is probably backup material.

I think this NFL season reinforces the importance of the QB position. The playoff QB’s are Brady, Manning, Roethlisberger, Luck, Flacco and Dalton in the AFC and Romo, Rodgers, Wilson, Stafford, Newton and ours in the NFC. Obviously ours should be Palmer and we’re limping in with Lindley but it was Palmer (and Stanton) who got us ahead in the standings. Every other team has at least a decent QB and most of them have very good ones (Palmer still appears in the list of “qualified” leaders for passer rating, so if you include him, 8 of the top 10 QB’s are on playoff teams. Or to look at it differently, out of 32 teams, only 12 make the playoffs, and of those twelve, 2/3 have a top 10 QB.)

And yeah, teams are so desperate for QB’s that there isn’t some guy just sitting out there waiting for a call who’s going to help us significantly at this point. We’re stuck with Lindley, Thomas and the outside hope that Stanton is able to play. Carolina’s D is pretty much midde-of-the-pack in both rushing and passing, so I say run the ball as much as possible. Punting is OK. So is throwing the ball away on third and long of which we will probably have several.

64. By Scott H on Dec 31, 2014 | Reply

Kevin –

Yeah, I get you. One thing is for sure – Stanton and Lindley CAN be lumped together in that neither makes the Cardinals as good as they are with Palmer.

In terms of the QB’s who we will see in the playoffs….it just makes me all the more frustrated to realize that most of these teams have not been w/out their starting QB for a single game OR even a portion of a single game! The Cowboys were w/out Romo for one game. Newton missed one game. And let’s think about this – those guys had spinal fractures! And they missed one game. Stanton sprains a knee and he can’t even practice. Something about that seem REALLY un-fair to anyone else???

Rodgers came out of one game, then he returned. Luck was pulled from one game but NOT due to injury and it didn’t matter. He was back the next week. Manning was pulled last week but same deal – no injury and it didn’t matter. All will play in the playoffs.

None of the other guys missed any time. None of these teams had to rely on a back-up QB for more than one week. None of them even know who their 3rd string QB’s are ( IF they even have 3rd stringers ).

Then, there are the Cardinals. Palmer alone has missed more time than ALL playoff QB’s COMBINED!!! Add the time Stanton has missed to that and it is both tragic and remarkable in equal measure.

It’s a shame but the REAL shame of it is that – outside the circle of Cardinals fans – no one really cares, ya know? People get caught up in their own teams ( as they should ) and they don’t care about yours. It’s the playoffs and you either win or you go home. No one cares about your injuries, no matter how significant they were.

Not much we can do except, first, be proud of our 2014 Cardinals for what they DID accomplish ( which may yet include a playoff win🙂 ) and second, look for a do-over in 2015 with a healthy Carson Palmer come the post-season.

65. By Kevin S Mesa on Dec 31, 2014 | Reply

I agree 100%. I mean, Palmer’s had a couple injuries throughout his long career, but you wouldn’t say he was “injury prone.”

Really sucks that he went down this year. It was pretty impressive to overcome all the other injuries. I mean, I like Andre Ellington, but honestly, he wasn’t doing much the last few games before he got hurt. I don’t think the offense lacks a whole lot with Williams in there instead. Next man up was fine on defense. But most of the teams on the list we’re discussing aren’t in the playoffs with their backup QB playing in more than half the games (and then losing even that guy for the last couple).

And yeah, all the fans of other teams will just say things like “Same old Cardinals” or “you weren’t going anywhere even with Palmer” and we have no way to prove them wrong. Only the fans of this team will really know what this year has been like.

Sometimes it feels like we are a snake-bitten franchise. Driving with the lead in the Super Bowl, about to score again, and not only is there a turnover, but it gets returned 100 yards. And he was so close to being downed inside the one and the half would’ve ended. Minimum 10 point swing, possibly 14. And then of course we know how that game ended as well. Then after another season, Warner retires earlier than expected and we are caught with our pants down. Back into oblivion for 3 years. With a new coach and a real QB, we become relevant again, and this happens? Come on football gods, at least give us a break and let Stanton be well enough to play. Is it asking that much when other teams have Brady, Luck, Rodgers or Manning that we at least get to play our first backup?

66. By superbowlcards on Jan 1, 2015 | Reply

JTDG
    My main point with Thomas is he was a 4th round draft pick, not some 7th round or UDFA that teams bring in almost every year (as I think they should) but when a team drafts a developmental 3rd string QB in early rounds you have to give him more than 1 year before cannimg him, especially when you have an awesome starter, and one of f the better back_ps under contract next season, plus if a team keeps drafting players to “develop” that high in the draft, only to give up on them a year later tends to cost both GM and HC their jobs, or it would if I were the owner. Competition is a must,,, I wholeheartely agree with you on that, but bring in a late pick or UDFA, not a high draft pick this year, I believe we have much moore pressing needs for next season, like, OLB/PASS RUSH, RB, ILB, OL.
    Only QB that all bets are off is Mariota, and I’m not even sure he fits BA’s system, but if we could somehow pull off a trade that doesnt look like a RGIII deal, you have to pull the trigger-, at one time I would have said the same for Winston, but that clown can be some other teams headache, maybe if he is still around in the 5th round I might (yes, might!) consider taking a chance on him, but I hope that is the only way the Cardinals get Winston.
    As far as my first 3 picks I mentioned, I did say it was a dream come true wish list, I realize that would never happen, it was just me dreaming out loud, it was me as GM for a day basing solely on excitement they would bring not system fit, and certanly not availability, although, Orchard from Utah (thank you for rattling my brain and providing me his name) would be my first round pick hands down if I were GM, just my amatuer analisys but I rate him ahead of Shaq, would be thrilled if somehow we could land both (again, just dreaming out loud) but signing a proven pass rrushing veteran to play along side Orchard (or Shaq for that matter) is much more prudent, and makes better football sense given our short window to win it all. Thanks for the discussion, it means so much more than just one of those stupid “thumbs down” answers!! Agree or disagree, discussing the topic back and forth is so muc+h mor respectful than just a simple click on a thumb for Christ sake!! HaHa! Look forward to discussing all things Cardinal with you and others. For now though…GO CARDINALS!!! BEAT THAT PANTHER ASS!!!

67. By Scott H on Jan 1, 2015 | Reply

Kevin –

You speak like a true Cardinals fan, my friend! Agreed completely with all that you said. I find myself feeling really annoyed when I hear everyone ( media, experts, etc ) lauding the Seahawks and suddenly proclaiming them as such strong favorites to return to the SB. Yet, it was the CARDINALS who had the best / tied for the best record in the NFL all year, it was the CARDINALS leading the NFC from Week 1 through Week 15, and does anyone even bother to mention that in two games between them this year, the Seahawks NEVER had to deal with Carson Palmer??? No. They got the Cardinals with their back-up QB in one game and their 3rd string QB in the other. Gimme a damn break!

Yes, the Seahawks ARE awesome and ( unfortunately ) they are awesome on both sides of the ball. But 2014 did NOT tell us anything about where these two teams TRULY stand in comparison to each other. I mean, let’s see the Seahawks have to face the Cardinals 2X with a healthy Carson Palmer on our side and 2nd / 3rd string QB’s on theirs’ THEN, tell me how awesome the Seahawks are, ya know?

68. By John The Draft Guy on Jan 1, 2015 | Reply

superbowlcards,

Thomas;

I know you don’t give up on 4th round guys after one year. But I said he was a mistake before he was drafted. He looks exactly like what I described when I said he was a wasted pick.

I thought they drafted him to convert him into a TE. No sense in spending more time on something that isn’t going to end up producing anything.

Just my opinion and I think if Conner Cook and/or Kevin Hogan declare for the draft, that would make me want a first round QB, even if I had to trade up some.

If Hogan and Cook aren’t there, Then I like that OLB pick. Orchard looks like a good pick but I also like Calhoun for Mich St and I love the freak from Baylor Shawn Oakman, he is huge but very athletic. I think, like Julius Peppers, he could be an OLB.

One of my favorite guys in the draft who will be there in round two is Eric Stryker from Oklahoma. He is an OLB but doesn’t have the size. He can cover, rush and tackle and would be awesome in the DWash role. I think he is a lot like Shazier but will drop because he is unknown as a ILB.

2. Dec 30, 2014: Arizona Cardinals news 12/30: Stanton, playoff prep, Black Monday | nflfans247.net
  3. Dec 30, 2014: San Francisco 49ers, Atlanta Falcons reportedly request permission to interview DC Todd Bowles for head coaching positions | nflfans247.net