Fitzgerald shows off his Marshawn Lynch

Posted by Darren Urban on December 31, 2014 – 2:29 pm

If you’re wondering about whether the Cardinals are loose heading into their first playoff game since the 2009 season, this is how Larry Fitzgerald opened his media session as everyone crowded around his locker today:

Q: It’s been a long time, how does it feel to be back in the playoffs?

Fitz: “Thank you.”

Q: How do you feel?

Fitz: “I appreciate it. Thank you very much.”

By then, it drew laughs. It echoed the postgame comments Seattle’s Marshawn Lynch gave reporters after the Seahawks played the Cardinals at University of Phoenix Stadium. No firestorm here, though. (I’m sure he’s learned through the years from Cards’ VP of media relations Mark Dalton, with whom Fitz is pictured below.) Fitz couldn’t keep it up. Before there was too long of a pause, Fitzgerald interrupted with a “no, no, no” and proceeded to answer questions normally. Most of the time. A few questions and legit answers later came this:

Q: You guys are the underdogs again. You expect anything less than that now?

Fitz: “Thank you,” bringing out the laughter of everyone around.

“Ah,” Fitz said, “I’m just messing with you, man.”

He then answered the question, like he always does, in polished, Fitz-like fashion.

FitzMDUSE

Tags: ,

25 Responses to “Fitzgerald shows off his Marshawn Lynch”

1. By shannon robinson on Dec 31, 2014 | Reply

A lot has been said about the Fitz contract. When Keim says the cap number, upwards of 20 M is already baked in, he’s not kidding. The cap figure for Palmer is less than the contracts for premier QB’s which allows us to pay Fitz the premier money he receives. When a player retires that money is more like a savings account when this team will be signing or drafting an elite QB unless he’s already on the roster. We’ll get to see Palmer to Fitzgerald in 2015.

2. By georgiebird on Dec 31, 2014 | Reply

Have a Happy New Year. It’s been a great year for Cards’ fans. Hopefully, meaningless games in November and December are a thing of the past.
    Thanks for all the “give and take” throughout the year.

3. By Darren Urban on Dec 31, 2014 | Reply

Georgie —

RE: Happy New Year

Same to you. I appreciate you reading the site and contributing to the discussion.

4. By JohnnyBluenose on Dec 31, 2014 | Reply

darren….re your reply to georgie. i really expected you to do your own lynch imitation ….. “thank you. appreciate it.” have a happy new year and let us all hope for a miracle or two that will find our cardinals at home against the lions in the nfc championship game. wouldn’t that be something?

5. By jwoodaz on Dec 31, 2014 | Reply

Aww.. It’s been fun reading you two guy’s banter over the season, now JTDG is gonna be a little jealous I think, or maybe even ccccllllllsssssyyyyy llllssssyyyy, anyways… it’s still been an awesome ride so far this season!! Happy New Year too.
    Still can’t wait for next year, um next season…Go show them who the Cardinals are.

6. By azdesertrat1953 on Dec 31, 2014 | Reply

Happy New Year to All.

GO CARDS!!!

7. By superbowlcards on Dec 31, 2014 | Reply

Have not seen one prediction that has the Cardinals winning Saturday!! Pretty sad, a team with a losing record favored to win, damn injuries have totally ruined this season, next man up only works for so long, after about 20 next man up injuries starting to scrape the bottom of the barrel talent wise!! Once again…damn injuries!!! Without all the injuries have to think we would have been the Superbowl favorites to win it all at home!!
    I say give the ball to Logan Thomas, hell we are suposed to lose anyway, and Lindley has shown what he can, or should say cant do!!! See if the rookie can guide us to a win!! Even if we pull out a win, we are so decimated by injuries there is no way we beat either Seattle or Green Bay next week, unless Carson Palmer somehow is healed overnight, just dont see that happening!!!
    Happy New Years to all fellow Cardinal fans, be safe if you are going to be out and about on the roads tonight!!

8. By superbowlcards on Dec 31, 2014 | Reply

Not sure how true it is, but Foxsports.com has a story out stating that Fitz likely wont be a Cardinal next season, (most of us probably already know this, just dont want to believe it or accept it!) reprt says Fitz is unhappy with his role, and is very unlikely to take a paycut.
    I think his role changes depending on who is under Center, Fitz seems to have a major role and some great games and is used as #1 WR when Palmer is under Center. Stanton seems to make Fitz his #3 option behind Floyd and Smokey, and Lindley prefers the opponents secondary as his favorite targets! LOL!
    As far as a paycut, he has yet to take one, all he does is defer the money, if he wanted the Cardinals to win every year, and he truly wanted to be a part of the winning, he would do what Brady did recently for the Patriots, giving them $24 million in cap space next year! Brady wants to win tiles, I dont expect Fitz to give up more than $10 million, that still leaves him $13 million, about $5 million more than Brady, Fitz has to realize both his window and the Cardinals window is short and our best chance to win it all is with Carson Palmer at QB. I want to make it clear, Fitz is the man, he is the Cardinals and I want nothing more than to see him retirre a Cardinal, but $23 million is not going to cut it, we have some serious needs and Fitz could help in a huge way by taking a pay cut and allowing us to sign a premier free agent, and keep Docket aaand/or Cromartie, along with a solid draft, all the key players returning from inury, the Cardinals will be dominate, and will be hoisting the Lombardi trophy for years to come!! C’mon Larry, show everyone you are a true team player and take your place at the head of the line as one of the greatest Cardinals ever!!!

9. By Red-mist on Jan 1, 2015 | Reply

There is a lot of damage to players reputations and to a positive winning mentality when someone is on the receiving end of a beating. I don’t believe there’s anything to be gained by putting an under-cooked Logan Thomas through that. What’s more Lindley has taken the criticism like a man and knows his limitations although he’s had no time to be game-ready. Looking forward I could see Palmers knee now being a chronic condition so we will need a new QB starter for next season. Watch this space.

10. By Lee W. Flanagan on Jan 1, 2015 | Reply

I think that if Fitz is unhappy with his role, he needs to be more vocal about it and take a leadership role about it. I agree with him if that’s the case. He should be the main target and find ways to get him the ball. Warner used to throw the ball up and Fitz would go up and get it. I don’t see much of that same determination to go get it like he used to.

11. By jme on Jan 1, 2015 | Reply

I read same report too!!! Then immediatly came to the Cards site. NOOO WAAAYYYYY!!!! I hope this just dumb reporting!!!! Fitz has got to be a Cardinal!! Always!!!

12. By Andy Kw on Jan 1, 2015 | Reply

Any chance you have a video clip of this interview Darren?

13. By Scott H on Jan 1, 2015 | Reply

Despite the recent story about Fitz’ salary number being “baked in” for 2015 and statements that he will not be released…..I have not felt confident that that means he will be here in 2015 or beyond.

We all know he has been un-happy with a reduced role this past season ( for whatever reason, it sure didn’t make sense to me ) and I find it hard to believe he would be happy staying here if that is going to be what he can look forward to. And why should he???

Yeah, perhaps the QB situation this season was a factor but….not entirely. Regardless of who was under center, he was clearly not being targeted as often as you would expect a WR of his caliber to be. Good things have always happened when we have gotten the ball to Fitz and given him the opportunity to make plays. Why that way of thinking changed, I will never understand.

I’ve heard the comments about “forcing” the ball to Fitz and how that was not the way to go, that would lead to TO’s, etc, etc. But I’m noy buying it. The Lions “force” the ball to Calvin Johnson. The Cowboys “force” the ball to Dez Bryant. The Broncos “force” the ball to Demaryius Thomas. And the Bears “force” the ball to Brandon Marshall. And they do it because those guys are special. They are guys you DO “force” the ball to because those guys play on a different level and will make catches / plays that lesser mortals will not. Well, Fitz falls into that category, too. Always has. But we went away from that this year.

And if you think in the terms that I described above – that you make it a point to get the ball to certain players because they ARE special and they CAN make plays that others cannot – then maybe we shouldn’t even be using the word “forcing” because maybe that is not a fair description of what it is.

You would not “force” the ball to Ted Ginn. You probably SHOULD “force” the ball to Larry Fitzgerald more often than the Cardinals did in 2014.

14. By Dynosoar on Jan 1, 2015 | Reply

Thank you.

15. By Dynosoar on Jan 1, 2015 | Reply

Happy New Year, looking forward to once again winning on Saturday as the Underdogs and being the underdog again the following week. Maybe being a Cardinals fan for life has been a reason I’m resilient.

So to the Cardinals, thank you.

And thanking them in advance for Saturdays win.

The Lombardi trophy or nothing at all!

16. By Marlin on Jan 1, 2015 | Reply

What is your honest opinion. Do YOU think Fitz will be back with the Cardinals next season? Please don’t do a Marshawn Lynch with the question.

17. By Darren Urban on Jan 1, 2015 | Reply

Marlin —

RE: Fitz

I do not know. And I don’t think they do either. I think it’s about negotiations now.

18. By Kevin S Mesa on Jan 1, 2015 | Reply

I’ll start by saying, I love Fitz and hope he stays a Cardinal. But “hope” and “reality” are two different things.

He will be 32 when next season starts… he had to play through an injury much of last year and was also not 100% for some games this year (and missed one for the first time in forever, if I remember right). Fitz 2015 is not the same Fitz that Warner was throwing to in 2008-2009. Also, we spent a first round pick not long ago on Michael Floyd. And now we have John Brown as well. It would be one thing if our QB was still Derek Anderson and no one was getting the ball… then I’d say, sure, force it to Fitz. But it’s silly to be complaining that Fitz isn’t getting the ball when Palmer was throwing for more yards per game than Brady, Stafford, Rivers or Romo and just a couple less than Rodgers. Our offense is much more diverse — Palmer set an all-time NFL record earlier this year by completing passes to 11 different receivers in one game.

Receivers have complained about not getting the ball since, well, forever. Makes sense, because if it’s not thrown to them, they can’t catch it, and can’t build up stats, which allows them to ask for more money in the next negotiation (and in Larry’s case, build up his resume for all-time greatness). A true team player should not be complaining about a reduced role, however — at least not when he is cashing the team’s huge checks in the meantime, and the team is succeeding beyond anything they have ever done in your time here, with back to back 10+ win seasons.

I hope this supposed source has it wrong and/or is overstating the case for Fitz’s disappointment. Otherwise I am disappointed myself.

19. By Scott H on Jan 1, 2015 | Reply

Kevin –

When did we hear Fitz complaining? About anything? I think we know Fitz has always been a team-first guy.

20. By Dr. G. on Jan 2, 2015 | Reply

And a HAPPY 2015 to the entire Cards’ organization//players//fans…and especially Darren & the media for making this wonderful game a terrific job for some and a fun diversion for others…be well CARDS FANS

21. By Dr. G. on Jan 2, 2015 | Reply

Now to the Fitz situation. Any good steward of the team’s cash would conclude it to be imprudent to continue this contract as written. I speak of the Owners and the GM to be in concert. This is not BA’s decision.

Fitz has been a good player and your basic face of the franchise. But, many fans do not give proper praise to probably the best WR on the roster, with both kinetic and potential ability if utilized properly…yep… The Floydmeister.

Both Fitz & Floyd have been underutilized this year. The play calling has been mysterious to say the least concerning these 2 men…later

22. By Kevin S Mesa on Jan 2, 2015 | Reply

Scott H —

I don’t think we’d ever hear him complain publicly. But the source quoted in the article to which I was responding — superbowlcards brought it up earlier in this thread — said he was unhappy with his role. (Maybe I should have used the same word, unhappy, instead of “complaining,” but regardless, the point is the same… as I said, I hope the article was overstating the case for his disappointment, as is often the case with these things, where the media tries to whip up an innocuous statement into something bigger.

23. By Eazy E on Jan 3, 2015 | Reply

Please tell me you got this video?!

2. Dec 31, 2014: Cardinals, Jared Veldheer Prove Perfect Fit – RedZone Sport
  3. Jan 1, 2015: New Year’s Arizona Cardinals news: Injury report, Fitz expecting to leave, playoffs | nflfans247.net